Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 135 guests

Post #472601  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:23 am 

Daz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Yes, for 8 mil we could even get the young French midfield maestro, Ouesta Monet.

Hearing really good things about the young Lithuanian Spünkit Awåe but I think Chelsea might be in for him.
Yes, once again Wenger has failed miserably in the transfer market. Even if he signs the Brazilian prodigy Sheeton Leggs, as is being widely rumoured, that will not compensate for letting Chelski get to Spunkit first.

Post #472602  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:25 am 

Bernard wrote:
Chelsea's new German signing is an Arsenal fan. I was quite impressed with Rudiger when he played in the Confederations Cup.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... l-10741310
Is that the same Rudiger who collapsed in mortal agony in the penalty area after Hernandez tickled his belly?

Post #472603  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:53 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Chelsea's new German signing is an Arsenal fan. I was quite impressed with Rudiger when he played in the Confederations Cup.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... l-10741310
Is that the same Rudiger who collapsed in mortal agony in the penalty area after Hernandez tickled his belly?

Not sure I understand what you're getting at. It can't be an insinuation that he was acting, as Germans don't do that. The conclusive proof for that being Michael Caine, the greatest actor in the history of the world, was born in Rotherhithe which isn't in Germany.

Post #472604  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:10 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:
:icon_silent:

you know Johnny Boy's views on cricket and with him in mind I watched half an hour of gaelic football this morning ...... quite good viewing can't help thinking it would be better if they had a few rules .

Yes I watched that as well - pleased to see the Wicks sneak past the Meaths by a slender 6.2 x 39 (x = sin y) against 9 (6.2 π)

Post #472605  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:13 am 

Sets up a grand auld final against The Burrens - I'm just after packing a rasher sandwich and my she-wee for the train.

Post #472606  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:15 am 

Daz wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
you know Johnny Boy's views on cricket and with him in mind I watched half an hour of gaelic football this morning ...... quite good viewing can't help thinking it would be better if they had a few rules .

Yes I watched that as well - pleased to see the Wicks sneak past the Meaths by a slender 6.2 x 39 (x = sin y) against 9 (6.2 π)

Indeed. You should be on the Sky Sports coverage to explain it to your fellow Saxons, Daz.

More importantly, Cork won the Munster Hurling Championship yesterday.

Post #472607  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:22 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Daz wrote:

Hearing really good things about the young Lithuanian Spünkit Awåe but I think Chelsea might be in for him.
Yes, once again Wenger has failed miserably in the transfer market. Even if he signs the Brazilian prodigy Sheeton Leggs, as is being widely rumoured, that will not compensate for letting Chelski get to Spunkit first.

Young Sheeton is apparently desperate to play for Guardiola (or as he's sometimes known: plus image rights) so I could see Wenger making a sneaky move for the emerging Vilnius striker Noend Produkt.

Post #472608  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:27 am 

dec wrote:
Daz wrote:

Indeed. You should be on the Sky Sports coverage to explain it to your fellow Saxons, Daz.

Neutrals are describing it as a huge múscraige of justice...

Post #472609  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:32 am 

Although strictly speaking I'm not all THAT Saxon as my great-aunts discovered to their chagrin when they tried to do a family tree for my gran's 80th in search of some blue blood...

Post #472610  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:36 am 

Daz wrote:
Although strictly speaking I'm not all THAT Saxon as my great-aunts discovered to their chagrin when they tried to do a family tree for my gran's 80th in search of some blue blood...

You're a bit of a Celt so, I take it? :icon_wink1:

Post #472611  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:44 am 

dec wrote:
Daz wrote:

You're a bit of a Celt so, I take it? :icon_wink1:

There were some "travellers" a few of whom ended up on the gibbet and also jews. All in all not what they wanted although I was quite pleased at the time as it enhanced my cosmopolitan pretensions. On my dad's side though it was solid northern grit although I think they made their way to Lancashire from Wales originally.

Luckily I don't really care about any of these ethnofictions. For me it is usually better to look at whether somebody is a *%^@ or not than where their grandparents are from.

Post #472612  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:45 am 

Unless obviously it is about the number of foreign imports in domestic sport where I become a blood-and-soil Nazi.

Post #472613  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:55 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
HoddGooner wrote:
No comment.... my new, very much improved, contract says I can't

Great to hear Hodd! :53big-emoticons:

Cheers mate
I should point out that the new contract isn't a big deal, since we only get 12 month contracts anyway.
The significant increase in money was a bonus - helps having a world cup winner on your CV :icon_mrgreen:
getting a scholar and another pro also helped.

Post #472614  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:17 pm 

Very happy for you personally. Wish nothing but the best for you there. How is it coming back? Noticeable changes or pretty much the same?

Post #472615  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:29 pm 

The Graham legacy? Even though he managed Sperz, most on here I know and I would say all, because I can't remember anyone saying a bad word about Graham. Maybe they have but I don't recall. I think Graham's place in Arsenal history depends on what generation you are. If you were old enough to be there for the '89 title, etc. then he's firmly a legendary manager. If you weren't, then I'm guessing he's remembered a little less fondly. How much? Not sure, but not as much as those that were there in '89, '91, Cup Winners Cup.

http://www.gunnerstown.com/arsenal/2017 ... is-legacy/

Post #472616  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:19 pm 

Hodd, is Joe Willock one of yours?
http://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/p ... e-13309391

Post #472617  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:44 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
The Graham legacy? Even though he managed Sperz, most on here I know and I would say all, because I can't remember anyone saying a bad word about Graham. Maybe they have but I don't recall. I think Graham's place in Arsenal history depends on what generation you are. If you were old enough to be there for the '89 title, etc. then he's firmly a legendary manager. If you weren't, then I'm guessing he's remembered a little less fondly. How much? Not sure, but not as much as those that were there in '89, '91, Cup Winners Cup.

A fitting tribute to our greatest ever manager

Post #472618  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:20 pm 

Congrats Hoy. Massive achievement

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-n ... d-40553202

Post #472619  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:32 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Very happy for you personally. Wish nothing but the best for you there. How is it coming back? Noticeable changes or pretty much the same?

Definitely changed - but most of that is due to the EPPP requirements.
At the end of the day its a business that is predominantly about people and, if you have like minded individuals focused on a common goal, then you are halfway there :-)

Post #472620  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:33 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

:icon_mrgreen:

Post #472621  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:16 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:
:icon_silent:

Who was playing? Tune in to Dublin v Kildare in the Leinster Final next Sunday if you can. The Kildare lads think they actually have a chance :1laughter:

Post #472622  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:18 pm 

dec wrote:

I hope it's a Cork / Galway final. that would be refreshing.

Post #472623  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:24 pm 

Hodd, using American sports as my reasoning and that we live in the electronic age, I have to imagine that identifying good young players that haven't been noticed that much has gotten exponentially more difficult.

I remember I had to hear about how good teenage basketball players and American football players were until they got to univeristy. Now, on youtube they have their own highlight series. Its extended down to middle school and now elementary school.

A standout 7 year old in most sports here are being immediately tracked, statewide, regionally and sometimes nationally.

Basically, there really aren't any more hidden gems. They are unearthed and known. The exceptions are youth that have improved a lot in a short time (which would also correspond with growth spurts).

How intense is scouting these days?

Post #472624  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:47 pm 

John wrote:
dec wrote:

The young lads we have brought in this year have been fantastic. Full of speed and skill. We are getting our act together underage too. Cork might finally be returning as a force again. Our footballers though....Jesus wept.

Post #472625  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:14 pm 

dec wrote:
John wrote:

The young lads we have brought in this year have been fantastic. Full of speed and skill. We are getting our act together underage too. Cork might finally be returning as a force again. Our footballers though....Jesus wept.

I enjoyed your victories over Tipp and Waterford but a Cork win was never in doubt yesterday. I'll see your Cork footballers and raise you with the 'Dublin' hurlers.

Post #472626  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:25 pm 

dec wrote:
Daz wrote:

Do they get to play the Addams Family next?

Post #472627  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:18 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

You have to remember AG, that Stroller was an Arsenal legend before he came back manage us. All those double/ fairs cup winners will always have a very special place in many Gooner hearts. 17 years without a trophy before the Anderlecht final and then the final league game on Monday night at WHL and the 1 - 0 win. Then to top it all a glorious extra time cup final win against Liverpool with what I still think is the best ever goal to win a cup final and a double from Charlie George.

Post #472628  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:42 pm 

Bernard wrote:
... Rotherhithe which isn't in Germany.
They did their best to get rid of it!

Post #472629  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:44 pm 

Daz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Young Sheeton is apparently desperate to play for Guardiola (or as he's sometimes known: plus image rights) so I could see Wenger making a sneaky move for the emerging Vilnius striker Noend Produkt.
Or even the Danish winger Kantrun Fast.

Post #472630  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:49 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

A fitting tribute to our greatest ever manager
Not sure bout that but he was some player. Superb header of the ball, sublime passer, a shimmy that your Sister Kate would die for and a hard man when need be.

Post #472631  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:51 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
I was out when he got there, otherwise I'd have made him a cup of tea. Actually wearing that hat the guy has an uncanny resemblance to my son.

Post #472632  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:52 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Daz wrote:

Good but I'm more interested in the Bulgarian playmaker Fitov Klée. Apparently his big role model is Julio "the beast" Baptista.

Post #472633  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:17 pm 

Daz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Good but I'm more interested in the Bulgarian playmaker Fitov Klée. Apparently his big role model is Julio "the beast" Baptista.
Baptista. Who will ever forget the man with the touch of an Aberdeen granite kerbstone?

Post #472634  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:13 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Daz wrote:

Baptista. Who will ever forget the man with the touch of an Aberdeen granite kerbstone?

And the weird pointy head.

Post #472635  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:49 pm 

John wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

And the weird pointy head.

Would have scored five in one match at Anfield if he'd converted a pen. Surely would have been a record.

Post #472636  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:44 pm 

John wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Who was playing? Tune in to Dublin v Kildare in the Leinster Final next Sunday if you can. The Kildare lads think they actually have a chance :1laughter:

I typed in hurling and somehow got gaelic football ....... Tipperary v Galway

Losing my way with rugby a bit , little things are starting to p*ss me off ; bouncing the ball half a dozen times when kicking off , all the f**** around in the lineouts , not putting the ball in the centre of the scrum , the advantage rule , the need to touch hands with the whole bench when substituted , feigning injuries to run down the clock , the rolling maul . Old and crusty I know

:laughing7: Oh and let's not forget the need to clean out the eardrums with some Jay Z , Creed or Snoop Dog every time play stops for three seconds .

Post #472637  Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:04 am 

Wirral Gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

You have to remember AG, that Stroller was an Arsenal legend before he came back manage us. All those double/ fairs cup winners will always have a very special place in many Gooner hearts. 17 years without a trophy before the Anderlecht final and then the final league game on Monday night at WHL and the 1 - 0 win. Then to top it all a glorious extra time cup final win against Liverpool with what I still think is the best ever goal to win a cup final and a double from Charlie George.

I didn't know he was deemed a legend as a player. I knew he was well known and liked but not legend status. Thank for that information. Even though I became a fan after he left, I respect the name highly.

Him being at Sperz around the time I became a fan didn't sit well intially..haha.

How was that received at the time? Did Arsenal fans turn on him?

Post #472638  Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:33 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Hodd, using American sports as my reasoning and that we live in the electronic age, I have to imagine that identifying good young players that haven't been noticed that much has gotten exponentially more difficult.

I remember I had to hear about how good teenage basketball players and American football players were until they got to univeristy. Now, on youtube they have their own highlight series. Its extended down to middle school and now elementary school.

A standout 7 year old in most sports here are being immediately tracked, statewide, regionally and sometimes nationally.

Basically, there really aren't any more hidden gems. They are unearthed and known. The exceptions are youth that have improved a lot in a short time (which would also correspond with growth spurts).

How intense is scouting these days?

So pointless speculating about the likes of Fitov Klée?

Post #472639  Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:35 am 

kiwipete wrote:
John wrote:

I typed in hurling and somehow got gaelic football ....... Tipperary v Galway

What's the difference? Is it that they are allowed to bring sticks to the fight in the former?

Post #472640  Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:38 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Wirral Gooner wrote:

I didn't know he was deemed a legend as a player.

He would rate about 6 on the Pantheon scale ... somewhere between Wiltord and Ljunberg. Nowhere near the Henry level, but way better than even the most legendary tea-lady.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11813, 11814, 11815, 11816, 11817, 11818, 11819 ... 14269  Next