Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: mcquilkie, warrior and 168 guests

Post #559921  Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:55 pm 

socrates wrote:
Apart from the extra time period Sporting were the better side and deserved to progress.

One of the worst performances from us in many a month. Inexplicably bad.

I can only think there is so much effort and focus on the prem that the players are just switching off or easing off slightly for this competition. We haven't really played well in any of the games in Europa.

Next year we'll be back in the Champions League so we need to learn quickly how to turn it on in different competitions.

Going out early also really hurts our European ranking points which is used to seed teams in the champions league. If we win the league we'll be top seeds but that is the only way.

Post #559922  Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:56 pm 

Precisely what I was saying yesterday. You bring in 1 single reserve and it messes up the whole system.

Wrap partey and Ødegaard in cotton.

For us to win the tournament we would have had to play another 5 games. It’s a screw up but honestly very rarely do Arsenal have a genuine chance of winning a title.

Post #559923  Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:57 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:
He'd have saved Martinelli's which was a really poor penalty. Any penalty struck there for me has a 50/50 chance of being saved. If the GK guesses right he'll save it.

Ramsdale guessed right on at least a couple that were very savable but he didn't save them. Reminded me of Leno's inability to save a pen.

I think there were two that he'll think were saveable. The one he got a decent hand to and the one he went the right way but it was low and he didn't get his hand down to it quickly enough

Post #559924  Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:57 pm 

Rich wrote:
One of the annoying things about tonight is I think Man U will fairly comfortably go on and win this trophy now

If we do lose the league, which I think we will having seen the level of performance of our back-up options tonight, then we will look back on this shitshow of a performance as a lost opportunity.

City put Liebzig to the sword but we couldn't even get past a team 4th in the Portuguese league, playing at home.

Post #559925  Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:57 pm 

socrates wrote:
Apart from the extra time period Sporting were the better side and deserved to progress.

It reminded me of champions league games under Wenger--contriving to play badly and lose to inferior opposition.

Post #559926  Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:59 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Precisely what I was saying yesterday. You bring in 1 single reserve and it messes up the whole system.

Wrap partey and Ødegaard in cotton.

For us to win the tournament we would have had to play another 5 games. It’s a screw up but honestly very rarely do Arsenal have a genuine chance of winning a title.

It makes sense, and I’ll agree - but maybe tomorrow… :20hospitals:

Post #559927  Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:00 pm 

One thing to note, a Xhaka/Jorginho midfield axis is so one-paced....very, very slow. Teams can just run through the middle of them. Partey's introduction was a massive step up in quality.

Post #559928  Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:00 pm 

Decaf wrote:
socrates wrote:

It reminded me of champions league games under Wenger--contriving to play badly and lose to inferior opposition.

Too soon.

Post #559929  Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:01 pm 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

Ramsdale guessed right on at least a couple that were very savable but he didn't save them. Reminded me of Leno's inability to save a pen.

I think there were two that he'll think were saveable. The one he got a decent hand to and the one he went the right way but it was low and he didn't get his hand down to it quickly enough

It's surprising because Ramsdale's reaction speed is usually pretty good but I thought his efforts to save the pens were very very poor.

Post #559930  Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:01 pm 

No doubt that City wanted us to win that game tonight. In terms of the title race not having to play those midweek games is a big boost.

If you want to get in to the detail the QF of Europa are played on April 13 and 20. We are scheduled to play Southampton in the prem as the friday night game on April 21 - that game can go ahead at that time which it wouldn't if we'd made the QF.

Man City play as the last game on the sunday that weekend away at brighton.

Then the following Wednesday we go to the Etiahad.

So Arsenal play home to southampton - 4 full days rest then City(a)
City play away to Brighton - 2 full days rest then home to us

Post #559931  Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:05 pm 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

I can only think there is so much effort and focus on the prem that the players are just switching off or easing off slightly for this competition. We haven't really played well in any of the games in Europa.

Next year we'll be back in the Champions League so we need to learn quickly how to turn it on in different competitions.

Going out early also really hurts our European ranking points which is used to seed teams in the champions league. If we win the league we'll be top seeds but that is the only way.

I do think you are right because it wasn't just the backup player who were careless.

In retrospect, Arteta should have put Partey on (preferrably for Vieira) sooner. That goal was coming.

Post #559932  Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:05 pm 

By the way, taking that first penalty is a huge advantage. Studies of thousands of shoot outs show the team going first wins 60% of the time.

There are also studies showing the % of kicks scored or saved when your penalty is to keep you in the tie vs winning the tie and the results are as you expect.

Post #559933  Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:06 pm 

Vieira did himself no favours tonight. Obviously very technically gifted but incredibly lightweight and a virtual passenger.

I'd have him on a muscle building programme before next season.

Post #559934  Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:07 pm 

No sleep lost in this house.

Post #559935  Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:07 pm 

socrates wrote:
One thing to note, a Xhaka/Jorginho midfield axis is so one-paced....very, very slow. Teams can just run through the middle of them. Partey's introduction was a massive step up in quality.

Too true, and particularly with Vieira's defensive contribution being negligible compared to Ødegaard's

Post #559936  Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:08 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:
One of the annoying things about tonight is I think Man U will fairly comfortably go on and win this trophy now

If we do lose the league, which I think we will having seen the level of performance of our back-up options tonight, then we will look back on this shitshow of a performance as a lost opportunity.

City put Liebzig to the sword but we couldn't even get past a team 4th in the Portuguese league, playing at home.

Sporting played really well in the second half, scored an absolute wonder-goal and their keeper made an astonishing save from Gabriel's header. This is a team that won the league two years ago, going unbeaten, so they are no mugs. We had our chances but didn't capitalise on them.

Post #559937  Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:08 pm 

Rich wrote:
No doubt that City wanted us to win that game tonight. In terms of the title race not having to play those midweek games is a big boost.

If you want to get in to the detail the QF of Europa are played on April 13 and 20. We are scheduled to play Southampton in the prem as the friday night game on April 21 - that game can go ahead at that time which it wouldn't if we'd made the QF.

Man City play as the last game on the sunday that weekend away at brighton.

Then the following Wednesday we go to the Etiahad.

So Arsenal play home to southampton - 4 full days rest then City(a)
City play away to Brighton - 2 full days rest then home to us

Yes I was glad to go out of both domestic cups for this reason, I wanted us to do well in the Europa though as I thought we had a chance of winning it.

I think it’s clear however, due to squad depth and rest times between games, we couldn’t win both europa and the league. So this is really the best result if we want to win the league.

But the extra time and injury to Saliba and Tommy have really pissed me off.

Post #559938  Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:10 pm 

Rich wrote:
By the way, taking that first penalty is a huge advantage. Studies of thousands of shoot outs show the team going first wins 60% of the time.

There are also studies showing the % of kicks scored or saved when your penalty is to keep you in the tie vs winning the tie and the results are as you expect.

Yes it’s not exactly the done thing to bemoan your luck, but after everything else in the game we then lost two tosses of a coin in a row!

Post #559939  Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:16 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:

I do think you are right because it wasn't just the backup player who were careless.

In retrospect, Arteta should have put Partey on (preferrably for Vieira) sooner. That goal was coming.

Completely agree in respect of the back-up players. Vieira was awful (I really don't get it) but Zinchenko, Zhaka and Martinelli were well below their best and White's passing radar was off.

Post #559940  Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:25 pm 

Ash wrote:
Rich wrote:

Yes it’s not exactly the done thing to bemoan your luck, but after everything else in the game we then lost two tosses of a coin in a row!

And but for the recent rule change we’d have gone through on away goals. We’ve gone out to that rule a few times (Bayern and Monaco from memory) and one time we very nearly went out on away goals despite never actually playing at home - in the covid season we played benfica over 2 legs at neutral stadiums both games and so one was randomly declared the home leg for each team and we were close to going out before Aubameyang got a late winner I think

Post #559941  Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:27 pm 

A few other things tonight. 2 early injuries in defence didn’t help. It meant Jesus played 45 rather than his planned 60. And it meant Arteta had to be cautious and wait a bit longer than he might have with his other subs.
We need Jesus, Nketiah, smith Rowe all properly fit for the run in

Post #559942  Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:32 pm 

Our squad is strong but defeats and injuries show the weaknesses below the surface.
Some key areas to address in the summer if we want to take all comps seriously.
Central midfielder. Attributes need to be close to what Partey can do

No.8. This is your more dynamic Xhaka type.

Right wing/striker. Either sign a right wing to compete with Saka, or sign a striker and use Jesus on the right

CB. With white excelling at RB we need another top class CB, holding is a squad player, Kiwior is raw. Get a 3rd CB and use Kiwior and Holding in domestic cups and/sparingly

The rest depends on departures. Ie a new LB is needed of Tierney is sold

Post #559943  Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:36 pm 

Tomiyasu on crutches, could be a serious injury.

He’s missed a lot of games since he joined us. Ditto Tierney. You wonder what Arteta thinks of players who miss so much time consistently. Sounds ruthless but do you look to move them on?

Post #559944  Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:54 am 

Rich wrote:
Tomiyasu on crutches, could be a serious injury.

He’s missed a lot of games since he joined us. Ditto Tierney. You wonder what Arteta thinks of players who miss so much time consistently. Sounds ruthless but do you look to move them on?

Yes. I like both of them but if you are missing games you are not at the races. Never happy to lose but I'll take it if it helps win the title. We have a great first 11. It#s the back up that's the problem. We will get CL so that should help recruitment.

Post #559945  Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:23 am 

DHD wrote:
All due respect Old Man but for me, that’s a good result.
I can't ever imagine Arsenal losing as a good result. Unless it directly led to United, Chelsea or Spurs being relegated. We have mostly shown good spirit in adversity this campaign, and we will have to again against Palace. I sense a draw in that one, which probably won't be good enough.

Post #559946  Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:50 am 

Oh well, now we have full focus on winning the EPL

Post #559947  Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:05 am 

I had no idea the rules had changed. I assumed the away goals rule was in effect.

Post #559948  Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:08 am 

Not good enough and surprised. Not sure what percentage of it is us thinking we'll go through or Sporting playing better than expected.

We will need other clubs to help us in the league.

Post #559949  Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:49 am 

socrates wrote:
Vieira did himself no favours tonight. Obviously very technically gifted but incredibly lightweight and a virtual passenger.

I'd have him on a muscle building programme before next season.

Buying Savic would get rid of the Vieira problem. :12hello-bye:

Post #559950  Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:15 am 

We only have 1 mid week game left this season - City (a).

I think City have a minimum of 4 midweek games and if they make it through to the next round of the FA Cup and CL then they will have 6 or 7.

Post #559951  Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:11 am 

Tierney is a really good player - the problem he and we have is his style and strengths seem completely at odds with the style and strengths Arteta implements in his team.

If there are prem teams interested in him (Newcastle) then you really could raise £40m maybe, and then buy a LB to better suit the team but any new signing is a big risk and the likelihood is you’re buying another young player to be back up to Zinchenko. It would be a hard position to truly and immediately strengthen in the summer if we did get rid of Tierney

Post #559952  Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:22 am 

Timely reminder of whats going to be required in the champions league. Your not going far if you have to rely on the likes of vieira, Turner and Reiss Nelson.

We still have some way to go

Post #559953  Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:26 am 

Find it strange that Kalvin Phillips is still in the Eng squad. He’s played 56 minutes in the Prem this season. Would he still be in if those 56 minutes had been played for Leeds?

Post #559954  Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:46 am 

On reflection I think the player we need most right now is another Martin Ødegaard clone.

James Maddison maybe

Someone who can add dynamic moments in midfield.

Post #559955  Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:13 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
On reflection I think the player we need most right now is another Martin Ødegaard clone.

James Maddison maybe

I was thinking exactly the same this morning and Maddison was the most risk free option that came in to my head as well. I think he’ll end up at Newcastle.
We’ve had some success buying from the prem so I can see us going back for proven prem players again.
Maybe going back in for Caicedo again. The Declan Rice rumours won’t go away and whilst I prefer Bellingham I think Rice could be half the price and he would be a statement signing.
If we signed someone like him I’d be interested to see Partey play in Xhaka’s role and get forward more.

Post #559956  Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:35 am 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

James Maddison maybe

I was thinking exactly the same this morning and Maddison was the most risk free option that came in to my head as well. I think he’ll end up at Newcastle.
We’ve had some success buying from the prem so I can see us going back for proven prem players again.
Maybe going back in for Caicedo again. The Declan Rice rumours won’t go away and whilst I prefer Bellingham I think Rice could be half the price and he would be a statement signing.
If we signed someone like him I’d be interested to see Partey play in Xhaka’s role and get forward more.

Hi Rich,

What makes you think that Declan Rice will be half the price of Bellingham?. He's english, PL proven and coveted by many teams.

Where does the figure of £80m even come from, I suspect that given the transfer market inflation caused by Chelsea's antics his price will end up being well over £100m.

Post #559957  Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:36 am 

Patrick Vieira sacked.

Sunday will be interesting

Post #559958  Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:37 am 

The Sporting CBs looked pretty good last night. Really quick, strong and athletic.

Post #559959  Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:45 am 

It's very possible we can end up runner up. It's also very possible that Man Utd ends up 3rd with 2 trophies.
If that happens who will have had the better season? Is the answer the same if we finish with the title?

Post #559960  Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:58 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hi Rich,

What makes you think that Declan Rice will be half the price of Bellingham?. He's english, PL proven and coveted by many teams.

Where does the figure of £80m even come from, I suspect that given the transfer market inflation caused by Chelsea's antics his price will end up being well over £100m.

Rice only has 12 months left on his contract and has shown he won’t sign a new one. This is West Ham’s last chance to get a few for him. Being in the last 12 months does drop your actual fee/value. I could see Dortmund wanting north if £130m for Bellingham. According to a lot of reports Rice is sold on us, if that’s true and we get a free run at him I think you could get him for roughly half of Bellingham’s price.

[ 571924 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13996, 13997, 13998, 13999, 14000, 14001, 14002 ... 14299  Next