Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: AmericanGooner, Bing [Bot], john1 and 330 guests

Post #530321  Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:43 pm 

I’m still shocked that Barca, Real and Bayern haven’t swooped in to match Roma’s 10 million pound offer for Granit Xhaka. Clearly haven’t seen his pass completion statistics, he’s a bargain at ten mill come on Senors

Post #530322  Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:10 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong and we'll pull Hakimi out of the hat, a modern electric paced full back. He'd be my ideal right back. the goals and assist numbers he posts are the best on the world from full back I'd have thought

Does he post more goals and assists than Tavernier at Rangers?

Ah yes, good shout. No I don’t think he does. Hakimi had 7 goals and 10 assists in the league last year, in a better league than the Scottish Prem. tavernier scored an incredible 12 goals last year

Post #530323  Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:26 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but it does seem really pointless to have brought him on board for a brief spell. https://metro.co.uk/2021/06/03/arsenal- ... RKRSP8fuq0

We were desperate for an attacking midfield player and we didn’t really look convincing this season till he came into the side in my opinion.

I don’t think it’s great our team is being made up by temporary cast offs but at that point in time it was Hobson’s choice. We were screwed.

The story of our season was that Arteta needed to have the money for 2 new midfielders at the start but was only given Partey. It’s a completely wasted football season.

I get that. But we didn’t achieve anything anyway, even with him. We’d have been better off giving game time to one of ‘ours’. At least it would improve their sell on value if nothing else. We starting to look like a Div 1 team trying to get promoted with loaners.

Post #530324  Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:28 pm 

Attachment:
download.jpeg.jpg
download.jpeg.jpg [ 16.89 KB | Viewed 5387 times ]
Three days late with this...but RIP Jose Antonio Reyes, June 1, 2019.

Post #530325  Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:32 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but it does seem really pointless to have brought him on board for a brief spell. https://metro.co.uk/2021/06/03/arsenal- ... RKRSP8fuq0

Thats what a change in manager can do. No one's fault.

Post #530326  Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:42 pm 

Zed wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Sort of. But at the outset a six month loan period looked like it didn’t really take us forward. And so it has proved. We might have got lucky but it never looked likely.

Post #530327  Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:00 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Zed wrote:

Sort of. But at the outset a six month loan period looked like it didn’t really take us forward. And so it has proved. We might have got lucky but it never looked likely.

Also, who'd have guessed Ancelotti would jump ship from Everton to go to RM as soon as Zidane left.
No 6 months didn't take us forward, but Ødegaard may have needed a little more time. No chance now if he returns to RM, given he'll be part of Ancelotti's plans so it seems.

Post #530328  Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:10 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

We were desperate for an attacking midfield player and we didn’t really look convincing this season till he came into the side in my opinion.

I don’t think it’s great our team is being made up by temporary cast offs but at that point in time it was Hobson’s choice. We were screwed.

The story of our season was that Arteta needed to have the money for 2 new midfielders at the start but was only given Partey. It’s a completely wasted football season.

I get that. But we didn’t achieve anything anyway, even with him. We’d have been better off giving game time to one of ‘ours’. At least it would improve their sell on value if nothing else. We starting to look like a Div 1 team trying to get promoted with loaners.

Without him I think we would have finished in the bottom half of the table I reckon, manager likely sacked for that. You can’t expect that to be acceptable

Post #530329  Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:32 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Zed wrote:

Hi ltg,

I'm not a fan of loans without an option to buy. For a so called big club signing a player on loan without an option to buy makes little sense because the better they do then more the price tag goes up, other clubs take note and enter the bidding or the parent club decides to keep the player.

If he'd got us top 4 it would have been a calculated short term gamble that paid off but I find it hard to get invested in a player with no option to buy at the end of it all.

Post #530330  Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:27 pm 

socrates wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Hi ltg,

I'm not a fan of loans without an option to buy. For a so called big club signing a player on loan without an option to buy makes little sense because the better they do then more the price tag goes up, other clubs take note and enter the bidding or the parent club decides to keep the player.

If he'd got us top 4 it would have been a calculated short term gamble that paid off but I find it hard to get invested in a player with no option to buy at the end of it all.

Even if we get Buendia, how confident are people that he’ll be better or represent an improvement on Ødegaard? Because I’m not. Signing Norwich’s best player, if we do, does less for me than signing an outstanding young prospect from Real Madrid who they rate highly enough to not give us an option to buy.

Some have found Ødegaard a little underwhelming. I haven’t. His performances against West Ham and Brighton, and he produced in other games too, convinced me he’s a special talent. Very special. Buendia has shone in the second tier of English club football. Sure, it’s a competitive league so I’m not going to write that off with ‘big deal’. But given the choice of either keeping Ødegaard or recruiting Buendia, my own personal decision would be to retain Ødegaard.

Also, Buendia has played first team football with three clubs. He had two seasons in the Getafe side, a small top tier outfit who have played in La Liga for only sixteen years of their existence and have never won the Spanish top tier league or cup. After that they sent him on loan to Cultural Leonesa, currently a third tier Spanish club. Then he was sold to Norwich. Certainly not the smallest club in England but miles away from what I think of a big club. I hope I’m wrong but I’m finding it hard to feel excited about him joining Arsenal.

To be honest socrates, you refer to us as a “so called big club”. Are we still? We’re now a KSE club, and have been for ten years. Sure, although it’s fallen over that time we’ve still a huge worldwide fan base and as a result can fill a big stadium. But the size of Arsenal has fallen under the Kroenke ownership regime, and I will be surprised if that decline doesn’t continue under Stan.

Post #530331  Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:39 pm 

https://www.facebook.com/scoredraw/videos/840668696784846

Post #530332  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:44 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Kieran Trippier and Bellerin swap deal ?

Any takers ?

Won't happen. But, I'll take it any day.

Edit: Didn't realised he is already 30. Scratch that, go for a younger one.

Post #530333  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:47 am 

Zed wrote:
Attachment:
download.jpeg.jpg
Three days late with this...but RIP Jose Antonio Reyes, June 1, 2019.

Oh, so sad. I always liked him. RIP Reyes.

Post #530334  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:11 am 

Maybe I got it all wrong but from afar it seemed Henry felt threatened by Reyes and may be a big part of why he never felt settled in to the club.
I recall later, his agent saying he should have stayed. But on the pitch it seems Henry didn't like him.

But just to show how much other clubs feared him, Man Utd targeted him in one of the worst ways I've ever seen. Also, Drogba may have been the 'Arsenal killer' but Reyes was certainly the 'Chelsea killer'.

Post #530335  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:21 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Maybe I got it all wrong but from afar it seemed Henry felt threatened by Reyes and may be a big part of why he never felt settled in to the club.
I recall later, his agent saying he should have stayed. But on the pitch it seems Henry didn't like him.

But just to show how much other clubs feared him, Man Utd targeted him in one of the worst ways I've ever seen. Also, Drogba may have been the 'Arsenal killer' but Reyes was certainly the 'Chelsea killer'.

At the start of the 04/05 season Reyes was on a level that has not been achieved by many Arsenal players in all my time supporting them. Up until that Man U game Reyes was stunning. Such a shame that he got kicked out of the English game and couldn’t adapt to the rough treatment....and of course didn’t get better protection from refs.

Post #530336  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:35 am 

I think I’m more optimistic about the potential of Buendia in our team (should he sign) than others. I did like Ødegaard and I think if you were comparing them both Ødegaard’s ability would be more subtle. Signing a player from the championship or even a player from the prem is pretty rare for Arsenal. The things that stick out for me for Buendia is he is 2 footed, we’ve missed a genuine 2 footed player in central areas. I’m not even talking about goals scored with each foot, just basic passing and dribbling. Ødegaard was very one footed as was Özil. Buendia’s stats show a very high work rate and good in the high press and turnovers. Fans will instantly take to that as well.
Last time Buendia played in the prem he created more chances for his team mates than every player apart from de Bruyne and Trent. I think he only got 7 assists that season. Which I think is still more than any Arsenal player has managed in the past couple of seasons, and putting those chances on for Arsenal’s strikers rather than Norwich’s can up that assist total.

Post #530337  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:51 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
DHD wrote:
I’m not black nor am I from a minority so I accept I probably know little and understand less on this particular issue. I totally accept that knee thing is a mass gesture and it’s a collective message of dissatisfaction with which I and and everyone else should fully and freely associate ourselves. I’m happy to do so and I have.

I know it all started with a desire by a black American footballer to come up with a pointed response to the American national anthem which could set him apart from the celebratory and white-centred self-aggrandising themes of that song. Our national anthem is no better.

However, it has always seemed to me that whilst ‘taking the knee’ is an act of resistance, bending the knee is actually an act of subservience. There’s an odd contradiction for me.

Tommy Smith and John Carlos’ simple clenched fists were - and probably would be - so much more powerful, though probably more incendiary. No mixed messages there.

Not for me to say though.
No, if they wish to it is for anybody to say what they feel about this issue. The very public act of knee-bending is played out on our screens to invite us to think, and speak about racism. It is a subject relevant to all. Like you I think the clenched fist was much more powerful, and inspirational, than the bended knee. Many working-class people I know, and I include myself in this, find the gesture subservient. Being on our knees may help when playing with kids or doing the garden - anti-racism needs us to stand up tall.

I do like the gesture. Was Jesus' washing of the feet of his disciples an act of subservience? The spirit of BLM is not the same as that of black power. The clenched first is powerful, but, for me, delusions of military power and revolution have been far more misleading to the working classes than supposed delusions about democracy.

Post #530338  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:11 am 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:
Hi ltg,

Even if we get Buendia, how confident are people that he’ll be better or represent an improvement on Ødegaard? Because I’m not. Signing Norwich’s best player, if we do, does less for me than signing an outstanding young prospect from Real Madrid who they rate highly enough to not give us an option to buy.

Some have found Ødegaard a little underwhelming. I haven’t. His performances against West Ham and Brighton, and he produced in other games too, convinced me he’s a special talent. Very special. Buendia has shone in the second tier of English club football. Sure, it’s a competitive league so I’m not going to write that off with ‘big deal’. But given the choice of either keeping Ødegaard or recruiting Buendia, my own personal decision would be to retain Ødegaard.

Also, Buendia has played first team football with three clubs. He had two seasons in the Getafe side, a small top tier outfit who have played in La Liga for only sixteen years of their existence and have never won the Spanish top tier league or cup. After that they sent him on loan to Cultural Leonesa, currently a third tier Spanish club. Then he was sold to Norwich. Certainly not the smallest club in England but miles away from what I think of a big club. I hope I’m wrong but I’m finding it hard to feel excited about him joining Arsenal.

To be honest socrates, you refer to us as a “so called big club”. Are we still? We’re now a KSE club, and have been for ten years. Sure, although it’s fallen over that time we’ve still a huge worldwide fan base and as a result can fill a big stadium. But the size of Arsenal has fallen under the Kroenke ownership regime, and I will be surprised if that decline doesn’t continue under Stan.

Spot on, Bernard. I'd be happy if Buendia was coming in to add to our midfield. But I'm despondent that Ødegaard is gone and Xhaka may leave too. Imagining that incoming player will replace the likes of Xhaka and Ødegaard, let alone be an instant upgrade seems to me to unwarranted. Unless there is someone at Arsenal who has a Wenger-like ability to find brilliant players at bargain prices, or there is fat budget so we can either buy top end players or have multiple attempts, there is no reason to think that any particular incoming player at that price range will be better than the like of Ødegaard, or Xhaka or even Mustafi (who was highly rated when we got him) and Elneny.

Even if Buendia turns out to be a hit, it will probably take a season or two for him to bed in. Its not like he's Busquets slotting into a midfield that already has Xavi and Inietsa.

Post #530339  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:54 am 

Rich wrote:
I think I’m more optimistic about the potential of Buendia in our team (should he sign) than others. I did like Ødegaard and I think if you were comparing them both Ødegaard’s ability would be more subtle. Signing a player from the championship or even a player from the prem is pretty rare for Arsenal. The things that stick out for me for Buendia is he is 2 footed, we’ve missed a genuine 2 footed player in central areas. I’m not even talking about goals scored with each foot, just basic passing and dribbling. Ødegaard was very one footed as was Özil. Buendia’s stats show a very high work rate and good in the high press and turnovers. Fans will instantly take to that as well.
Last time Buendia played in the prem he created more chances for his team mates than every player apart from de Bruyne and Trent. I think he only got 7 assists that season. Which I think is still more than any Arsenal player has managed in the past couple of seasons, and putting those chances on for Arsenal’s strikers rather than Norwich’s can up that assist total.

Hi Rich,

I agree, I'm actually quite excited about the prospect of signing Buendia (even though it probably won't happen).

From the admittedly little that I've seen of him he looks like a very dynamic type of player who both scores and assists goals. A livewire.

If I had to make comparisons I'd say Ødegaard is similar to Özil in his play, whereas Buendia is more like Alexis.

Post #530340  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:34 am 

I understand Sergio Aguero gave gifts to support staff on his departure and also gave away his car. A nice gesture. I know people will say he can afford it etc etc; but how many players actually recognise people at their club when they leave.

Post #530341  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:18 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I understand Sergio Aguero gave gifts to support staff on his departure and also gave away his car. A nice gesture. I know people will say he can afford it etc etc; but how many players actually recognise people at their club when they leave.

Yes, huge credit to him. Not many give.

Post #530342  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:22 am 

As long as our new midfield play more progressive football, I'm happy. More incisive passes, faster movement forward, more triangles around the middle of the field and more guts.

Post #530343  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:03 pm 

A new striker interest.

https://www.football365.com/news/arteta ... 3s-striker

Post #530344  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:43 pm 

Preferred Ødegaard anyway.

https://twitter.com/paddyjdavitt/status/1401213048044593156?s=21

Post #530345  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:43 pm 

Reports suggesting Buendia to Villa about to be completed.

Post #530346  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:48 pm 

Are we actually going to be beaten to Buendia by Aston *%^@*** villa.
Embarrassing.
Amateurish.

Post #530347  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:50 pm 

I know we’ve been *%^@ of late, but I honestly don’t believe a player would choose Villa over us even with us being in this state. Either, he’s not our first, primary target or we weren’t in seriously in for him. I get it may fit the narrative of how bad we are when it comes to transfers, but I tend to err on the side of this being b%*&s%*^. If we want him, I reckon we’d have signed him or will sign him.

Post #530348  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:52 pm 

Our targets must be elsewhere I’d have thought.

Wouldn’t go losing your *%^@ quite just yet.

Post #530349  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:53 pm 

david.d wrote:
Embarrassing.
Amateurish.

Not necessarily. It comes down to how much we think the player is worth and what he is worth to us and also what we can afford. If another club is prepared to pay more then in the long run it might work in our favour.

We stand a better chance of not paying over the odds in future negotiations once it is clear that we no longer pay any old price.

Post #530350  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:54 pm 

Darren wrote:
I know we’ve been *%^@ of late, but I honestly don’t believe a player would choose Villa over us even with us being in this state.

Martin Keown? :42laughter:

Post #530351  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:59 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Darren wrote:
I know we’ve been *%^@ of late, but I honestly don’t believe a player would choose Villa over us even with us being in this state.

Martin Keown? :42laughter:

Can you believe that was apparently over an extra £50 per week?!

Post #530352  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:00 pm 

So Buendia is going to Villa for £30m plus add ons. If we don’t get Ødegaard we’ll look pretty silly. And sadly every time Buendia does anything for Villa next year it will be rubbed in our faces no matter whether we made a serious bid or not.

Post #530353  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:01 pm 

Anyway, I reckon Ødegaard is who they still want, failing that Aouer. I think Buendia was probably on our list but further down it.

Post #530354  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:03 pm 

Crazy how much villa have spent on transfers in the last 2.5 seasons. Huge outside investment, they’ve dropped over £200m on the team in that time with very little coming back in. Same story as Everton.

Post #530355  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:13 pm 

david.d wrote:
Embarrassing.
Amateurish.

David, I really didn't expect Buendia to come to Arsenal. Especially given our illustrious owners rather buy on the cheap. Held it to £30M steadfast. Not that just overpaying on any player means they'll be an excellent fit for the club, but the sheer lack of ambition from the Kroenkes no matter the cost. Doubt Stan even knows what club Buendia was bought from anyway.

Post #530356  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:17 pm 

Darren wrote:

Darren,
Have to see if Carlo actually changes his mind about retaining Ødegaard obviously.

Post #530357  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:21 pm 

Zed wrote:
Darren wrote:

Darren,
Have to see if Carlo actually changes his mind about retaining Ødegaard obviously.

This is it though, has he said anything or is it just rumour? I haven’t heard any direct quotes saying the player is staying at Madrid, just noise and rumour.

It fits the story to knock Arsenal over this Buendia deal but who knows if the interest was real?

Post #530358  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:30 pm 

Not sure we were ever serious. I doubt it would’ve been the money. Think Partey. Think Pépé.

We may moan about our spending policy but the evidence suggests we will pay what’s needed to secure our targets.

Post #530359  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:30 pm 

Darren wrote:
Zed wrote:
Darren,

This is it though, has he said anything or is it just rumour? I haven’t heard any direct quotes saying the player is staying at Madrid, just noise and rumour.

It fits the story to knock Arsenal over this Buendia deal but who knows if the interest was real?

Thing is Ancelotti could give Ødegaard a new option. Zidane didn't rate him. So nothing concrete, but it could all change of course.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.justar ... 284004/amp

Post #530360  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:06 pm 

My worry about other the Buendia thing is that he may well have been 3rd or lower on our list of targets for that position, but what happens if we can’t get our first choice? Villa have moved early and if he wasn’t our first choice we are then forced to put all our eggs in the first choice or weigh up the risk of not getting the first choice player and accept someone further down the list because he’s about to go somewhere else.

I’m sure that if Buendia was our first choice we’d have put the same money up that Villa did and the player would have chosen us.

[ 571965 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13256, 13257, 13258, 13259, 13260, 13261, 13262 ... 14300  Next