Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:32 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris and 103 guests

Post #529041  Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:28 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:
Wenger's philosophy was to play on the front foot, take the game to the opposition, play exciting attacking football that gets the fans off their seats and score goals. OK, so he did that to the detriment of the defensive side of the game in his latter years but we have to get back to that attacking ethos.

you never attended the 4-4 game with spurs at home in 2008 did you ? This wouldn't have been posted if you had.

Not sure I understand your point?

Post #529042  Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:29 pm 

Rich wrote:
. For the next 5 years which team has a better chance of success Leicester or Arsenal?

Wait, I know this one.

Post #529043  Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:29 pm 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

you never attended the 4-4 game with spurs at home in 2008 did you ? This wouldn't have been posted if you had.

Not sure I understand your point?

Then you definitely didn't attend that game.

Post #529044  Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:30 pm 

john1 wrote:
Out with hardly a whimper, let alone a bang.

Not sure where we go from here.

I’m usually a very optimistic person, but I’m struggling to see a bright future here.

Back to the mid 70s and 80s is the next few years I think.

Was always going to happen under KSE wasn't it?, I saw this coming years ago and so should anyone else with half a brain!.

Boycott the f*ck out of the club and watch KSE squirm at the losses until they throw the towel in and f*ck off.

However the state of football for me, and I suspect a big chunk of Arsenal fans (possibly other unpimped clubs?), is just depressing in general,
the likes of City and Chavski contesting the CL final sums it up really.

Bring in 50+1 and it might be game on again, but that's not going to happen is it?, these greedy f*ckers aren't giving up their 'investment' and Boris is too busy
paying off Covid loans and for his flat being refurbished.

My gut tells me though that KSE may sell this summer, they are looking at consistent losses now for the first time, fingers crossed..

Post #529045  Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:32 pm 

If the roles were reversed and it was Arsenal playing for a 0-0 to send us through in a knock out tie I think we can guarantee that we would have been under so much more pressure than anything we did to Villarreal, and I’d count us playing teams at league 2 level who would have put more pressure on in such a knock out tie.

The meek surrender was the absolute worst way to go out.

Post #529046  Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:32 pm 

I think Arteta will get til December. And I wouldn’t have a problem with that. With one game a week he’ll have lots of time on the training ground to coach the team.

It might not work and if so he’ll be gone. To give a novice manager a season and a half is a bit daft. Of all managers, this one surely is going to need more time and have the steepest upward curve.

Post #529047  Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:35 pm 

I won’t miss the Thursday games to be honest

Financially clubs a mess though

Post #529048  Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:36 pm 

What an odd sensation of the result not being surprising yet still feeling a bit stunned where we seem to have ended up as a club. Not sure where we go from here and unfortunately I bet the people running the club dont know either.

Post #529049  Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:39 pm 

Be very interesting to see what KSE do now. Although short odds on nothing. I wonder what they might be considering in private.

Post #529050  Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:41 pm 

Ash wrote:
Be very interesting to see what KSE do now. Although short odds on nothing. I wonder what they might be considering in private.

Manager change.. whole bunch of transfers ... PR in press

Ad rinse repeat on 19 month cycle ..

Post #529051  Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:43 pm 

I worry about us being like Sunderland. More managers than seasons over a period of time. Mbappe would stop scoring if he played for us. We used to be a club known (and respected) for giving manager's time. Now we are seen as one of 'those' clubs.

Who makes the decision to sack Arteta? Kroenke himself certainly doesn't know enough. All he probably does is rubber stamp people actually at the club say.

Post #529052  Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:48 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Ash wrote:

Where are they going to get £100M+?, the club lost £50M in the last accounts and that was before the full effect of covid, add no European games and even if we can get some fans back in the ground they are looking at losses running into the hundreds of millions over the next few seasons.

They've never put money in so what makes you think they will now?, there's no guarantee it wont be pissed up the wall either, no the best option is to sell the club and make a nice tidy profit.

You know it makes sense Rodders.. :1laughter:

Post #529053  Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:50 pm 

We missed Xhaka tonight. He doesn’t score or assist but he provides the stability when we have the ball.
Of course part of the problem is that players like Xhaka and Luiz with their moments of madness are still clearly the best in their positions

Post #529054  Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:50 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Where are they going to get £100M+?, the club lost £50M in the last accounts and that was before the full effect of covid, add no European games and even if we can get some fans back in the ground they are looking at losses running into the hundreds of millions over the next few seasons.

They've never put money in so what makes you think they will now?, there's no guarantee it wont be pissed up the wall either, no the best option is to sell the club and make a nice tidy profit.

Their investment has increased a billion in ten years. Not sure you can bring that to a stop or go another ten

Post #529055  Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:56 pm 

I chose sleep over Arsenal this morning and looks like that was the right decision again. Team performance is getting worse as the season goes on and I don't think new players will solve that. Now unable to get a goal in a European semi final against what is a Championship level side is just dismal.

Whats's Allegri up to I wonder.

Post #529056  Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:05 pm 

Rich wrote:
We missed Xhaka tonight. He doesn’t score or assist but he provides the stability when we have the ball.
Of course part of the problem is that players like Xhaka and Luiz with their moments of madness are still clearly the best in their positions

Maybe Arteta shouldn't have been playing him as a left back in the last few matches and he may have been less likely to get injured. Artetas tinkering, tactical changes and downright stupid playing of underperformers is just annoying and without even noticing, I'm watching less and less because I have no faith it's going to improve.

Post #529057  Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:06 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I just don’t see any new owner as a solution. They will likely load the club with the debt, and not have adequate funds for new players. As you say what confidence do you have we would spend the money well. Arteta got Willian on 200k per week, paid Aubameyang 300k per week, failed to try and bed Saliba into the team, and chose Leno, who now wants to leave. None of these were decisions by the owner.

Post #529058  Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:08 pm 

Ash wrote:
I think Arteta will get til December. And I wouldn’t have a problem with that. With one game a week he’ll have lots of time on the training ground to coach the team.

It might not work and if so he’ll be gone. To give a novice manager a season and a half is a bit daft. Of all managers, this one surely is going to need more time and have the steepest upward curve.

I dont think he's done enough this season. Improved the defence initially but seems to have no idea how to return some attacking impetus.

Post #529059  Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:11 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Wilts-Gooner wrote:

I just don’t see any new owner as a solution. They will likely load the club with the debt, and not have adequate funds for new players. As you say what confidence do you have we would spend the money well. Arteta got Willian on 200k per week, paid Aubameyang 300k per week, failed to try and bed Saliba into the team, and chose Leno, who now wants to leave. None of these were decisions by the owner.

No but on the flip side the margin for error was very very small. Arteta hasn’t made good calls in many cases, but to come out well he’d have to have made a string of wins in a row.

It’s been said a few times, but the money clubs get rid of that margin by chucking more money at it. As an example Chelsea didn’t need to gamble anything on Willian because they signed every wing forward in Europe last summer.

Post #529060  Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:12 pm 

The failure in our home games since Arteta has taken over is of real concern. Failure to score at home in numerous games. His tactical sense is totally lacking IMO.

Post #529061  Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:13 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Their investment has increased a billion in ten years. Not sure you can bring that to a stop or go another ten

It has but I think it has peaked, a lot of that rise was due to consistent CL football (for the first 6 years), growth in our commercial revenue, which was largely down to new kit deals and perhaps media rights growth, all or most of this is now likely to stagnate or even decline.

- no European football
- commercial kit deals are pretty good given our performance now but unlikely to rise when renewed
- media rights probably at their peak value and 'bigger' clubs want a bigger cut, arguable whether Arsenal are a big club these days!.

Just taking off my Arsenal hat it is a gamble keeping the club now, if an offer came in at around £2BN it would represent a good profit, keeping the club might pay off long-term but with ESL shelved for a long time at least, unless they are going to finance the club themselves Arsenal looks in real danger of becoming a declining asset given how poor we're performing on field, the club can only live off 'history' for so long.

I would sell at this point, I can't see KSE pumping hundreds of millions into the club and if they don't they must be aware that there is a real risk that in another 10 years Arsenal are worth £1-1.5BN instead of £2BN.

Also there is a slim chance government intervention might curtail some of there future plans for the club, I don't even want to think about what they might be!.

Post #529062  Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:17 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Ash wrote:

I dont think he's done enough this season. Improved the defence initially but seems to have no idea how to return some attacking impetus.

Sure, that’s hard to argue, but the Aubameyang’s form falling off a cliff can’t have helped.

I think in the context of this being his first job and all the bs with Özil and everything else that he’s been dealing with, another half season isn’t a lot to give him to see if he can get something decent going.

Also keeping him is the cheap option which he’s got going for him. Sarri isn’t likely to come in a propel us into 4 really anyhow. And he won’t be cheap either.

Post #529063  Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:28 pm 

Sack him now. Change the owners.

Post #529064  Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:32 pm 

Ash wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Sure, that’s hard to argue, but the Aubameyang’s form falling off a cliff can’t have helped.

I think in the context of this being his first job and all the bs with Özil and everything else that he’s been dealing with, another half season isn’t a lot to give him to see if he can get something decent going.

Also keeping him is the cheap option which he’s got going for him. Sarri isn’t likely to come in a propel us into 4 really anyhow. And he won’t be cheap either.

Initially I thought you're right except he's had half a season after the Jan clear out and results and performances are getting worse. I wouldn't want Sarri btw. We always seem to be out of synch with getting top level managers at the time when theyre available and now like Top Gun said I don't think any would want to come to Arsenal anymore when there are more lucrative options available with better teams.

Post #529065  Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:36 pm 

We are stuck with the Kroenke family for the next 40 years at a minimum assuming Josh lives to 80 years old.

Post #529066  Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:11 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Ash wrote:

Initially I thought you're right except he's had half a season after the Jan clear out and results and performances are getting worse. I wouldn't want Sarri btw. We always seem to be out of synch with getting top level managers at the time when theyre available and now like Top Gun said I don't think any would want to come to Arsenal anymore when there are more lucrative options available with better teams.

Yep, but I think that points to him staying if we can’t really secure anyone better.

Post #529067  Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:16 am 

Ash wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Yep, but I think that points to him staying if we can’t really secure anyone better.

Yep pretty depressing situation really. I think this article sums it up pretty well from a number of angles.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/p ... 086c7a403f

Post #529068  Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:45 am 

grantyboy wrote:
Ash wrote:

Yep pretty depressing situation really. I think this article sums it up pretty well from a number of angles.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/p ... 086c7a403f

Pretty good summary.

Post #529069  Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:30 am 

The problem imo is that there was no running off the ball. Nobody going in to space to get a pass. If there is no movement there is no one to pass to so Leno has to slow down.

Post #529070  Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:37 am 

It would seem a given if we brought in Pep or Klopp, there would be a visible and sustainable improvement in our play.
However, I actually don't think so. If either had to have the same financial restrictions as Arteta (and Emery and Wenger before him), would they really improve? Tactics-wise? We'd have better tactics. But, isn't Arteta using City's tactics? He knows it inside, out. Why doesn't it work with us? Ah...we don't have the players for it some of you would say? Well, Pep and Klopp would be restricted to them and they'd only have the options of bringing in the same players that Arteta would have had. Well, a case can be made that some players who normally wouldn't want to come and be part of our project would come if its Pep, but even so, it's not going to be the nexst Messi type of players.

The gist of all this is, are our issues far beyond what a great manager can bring?

Post #529071  Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:44 am 

We must make some big decisions from today.

The failure of experienced players in this team is inexplicable unless Arteta has lost the dressing room. In the first half our captain and 300k per week player, touched the ball 7 times. Not really the play of a captain trying to inspire others and move the team forward. I thought he played poorly but despite that he should have scored with the second half header. In the EPL this season he has played in 16 games in which we have failed to win.

Willian, total failure and if he is to win the CL with us, as promised by Arteta, miracles are required. Personally I think both these players can go and should be put up for sale.

Partey - it will be interesting to see if he wants to stay. I think after initially impressing he has regressed but that may be because of Arteta's requiring him to be the whole midfield.

The 2 loan players have been failures.

Will have to probably sell Leno this window because he sounds like he wants out and it is 2 years out from the end of his contract. He really hasn't had more than a okay season. If he expects an increase in wages he's having a laugh.

I don't think the defence has been rebuilt at all. It is a functional defence at best. Luiz must go. he should have gone last year when he undermined Emery. A snake in the grass.

I don't see how Arteta can survive. But we may be stuck with him. But I don't trust his judgement on players and do not want him having any say on which players we bring in. Not sure who could be trusted as there is no structure at the club.

The only positives from the season are some of the young players and I expect a few bigger clubs to start tapping them up. The club has made no progress in the last 5 years.

Post #529072  Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:02 am 

I’m sure there will be plenty of rival fans and media pundits lining up laughing at the arsenal fans for wanting and getting rid of Wenger but that spectacularly misses the point and misses the main target any laughter should be directed at. Arsenal fans could see Arsenal were in decline under wenger after yeas of stagnation under wenger. Arsenal fans were seemingly the only people associated with the club who wanted and had ambition for greater success, we weren’t satisfied with 5th or 6th every season. So we get ridiculed for stagnating and then get ridiculed for wanting to break free from that stagnation.

I just find the whole thing so exasperating that so many Arsenal fans saw the writing on the wall for our club years and years ago. It has got to the point over the last 5 or so years that I think if you’d put an informed fan in charge of the big strategic plan, the big moves and then let people who even vaguely know football in charge of the day to day action of that big plan we’d be miles better off. The club may talk about a long term rebuild but they haven’t ever actually properly started it.

Post #529073  Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:06 am 

Up and down the league there are examples of players signed for relative pennies who would walk in to our side, and would have chosen us over the team they did sign for.
Vlad Coufal the West Ham right back signed for £1.5m. Not plucked from obscurity, he was playing for Slavia Prague and has plenty of International caps. Absolutely miles better than any of the 3/4 right backs we have on our books! Mainly because he just does the basic things you need a right back to do.
If we’re talking right backs you could almost go through every prem team and a good few in the championship with a better one

Post #529074  Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:20 am 

I’m not even sure I can make much of a case for the playing squad being better than 9th this season. The squad is clearly a long long way inferior to City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Man U. Spurs have a better set of players and clearly so do Leicester.
Then I think if you remove the price tags of players and just judge them competitively you’d struggle to make a case for more than 50% of our players being better than West Ham, villa or Everton. All 3 have players who walk in to our first 11.
I’m not putting this all on the players, it’s just that this post is about the players.

Post #529075  Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:32 am 

Other than Smith-Rowe, Saka and Tierney I can’t think of another Arsenal player I’d be absolutely gutted if we didn’t see them in an Arsenal shirt again. (On the basis of they are sold we get market value for them)

Post #529076  Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:37 am 

"I think over two legs and what happened today in the second half we deserved to win the game."

Arteta spewing nonsense

Post #529077  Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:46 am 

Rich wrote:
I’m not even sure I can make much of a case for the playing squad being better than 9th this season. The squad is clearly a long long way inferior to City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Man U. Spurs have a better set of players and clearly so do Leicester.
Then I think if you remove the price tags of players and just judge them competitively you’d struggle to make a case for more than 50% of our players being better than West Ham, villa or Everton. All 3 have players who walk in to our first 11.
I’m not putting this all on the players, it’s just that this post is about the players.

I agree, West Ham aside a weird anomaly all the teams above us have more talent than us. Our fans seem to disagree though and I pointed out earlier this season Leicester had 5 or 6 players who walked into our side and people were outraged. I just don’t see Smith Rowe getting many games for the sides above us if I’m honest and would probably be a sub at most. El Nenny, Xhaka and ceballos ? No way. Even Saka would be used sporadically by some.

However our fans think they would and if we appointed a Benitez or Sarri all of a sudden these players who have failed under successive managers would become world beaters.

Doesn’t add up to me and someone suggested giving Arteta till Christmas which makes sense to me, getting rid now would feel like Sacking George Graham before he could sell the old guard and sign Dixon,winterburn & smudge.

It’s *%^@, the club have been a mess for ages but it shouldn’t be an excuse to damage ourselves some more.

Post #529078  Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:50 am 

gooner7 wrote:
"I think over two legs and what happened today in the second half we deserved to win the game."

Arteta spewing nonsense

They should have been 3-0 up in the first leg first half. We were still in the tie because we fooled the ref for a pen. What game was he watching. It is not enough to have 2-3 efforts on goal over 2 legs.

Post #529079  Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:53 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

I agree, West Ham aside a weird anomaly all the teams above us have more talent than us. Our fans seem to disagree though and I pointed out earlier this season Leicester had 5 or 6 players who walked into our side and people were outraged. I just don’t see Smith Rowe getting many games for the sides above us if I’m honest and would probably be a sub at most. El Nenny, Xhaka and ceballos ? No way. Even Saka would be used sporadically by some.

However our fans think they would and if we appointed a Benitez or Sarri all of a sudden these players who have failed under successive managers would become world beaters.

Doesn’t add up to me and someone suggested giving Arteta till Christmas which makes sense to me, getting rid now would feel like Sacking George Graham before he could sell the old guard and sign Dixon,winterburn & smudge.

It’s *%^@, the club have been a mess for ages but it shouldn’t be an excuse to damage ourselves some more.

What about Tierney - can we afford to keep an injury prone player? I like him as a player and would give him next year to have an injury free season. But we can’t afford a player who meets slabs of the season.

Post #529080  Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:58 am 

I hate the headlines of Emery outsmarted Arteta. It’s just not true. What tactical genius did Emery have to bring to either leg. If anything Emery’s tactics failed to put the tie to bed in the first leg and in the second leg we offered so little there was nothing Emery had to mastermind at all

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13224, 13225, 13226, 13227, 13228, 13229, 13230 ... 14269  Next