Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:06 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 110 guests

Post #555321  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:33 am 

Our journey

Post #555322  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:43 am 

Ash wrote:
Rog, your presence on here, your class, your understated humour, your dignified responses. I’ll bet Meg loved you every bit as much as you loved her. I’m so so sorry for your loss. It isn’t fair. I pray you have every bit of strength you need for the next few days weeks and months and that you can draw family around you like a blanket. My thoughts are very much with you in this tragic loss. As others have said, and from your own words she seems like a beautiful woman inside and out.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I don't really have any family here aside from a brother I've not seen in 35+years. He's 2 continents away. It's just me now but I have a lot of very good friends who are helping a great deal.
I created a collage last night which I'll have at the funeral.
It's difficult sorting thru the pictures, videos and music etc. I never had an event like this on my radar at all. It's very tough.

Attachment:

Post #555323  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:26 am 

It's obvious but to see it, is cool. The season isn't over. We look good now and some are acting like its a foregone conclusion its a title race and everyone else. I'm not thinking anything substantive until April. For now, I'd like as much distance between us and Chelsea, Man Utd, Tottenham and yes, now, Newcastle so that hopefully a double digit lead going into to January or by the end of January acts as a buffer for slip ups.

Attachments:

Post #555324  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:31 am 

No idea how good the USA squad is but I'd say Henry's prediction has any chance it needs to be 0-0 after 60 minutes or if America some how nicks a goal against the run of play because it will be mostly a defensive game for America.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/OKPeL7aSwCQ

Post #555325  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:42 am 

I'm going to disagree on Van Bronckhurst in the worst XI

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... 1668886850

Post #555326  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:18 am 

Darren wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
Tweedledum and tweedledumber at it again. They can't argue their stance on lockdowns and still blame others for their stupidity.

When even Andrew Neil, who was a very staunch Brexiteer, says the games up, then the games up.

Link

Yes absolutely. We are 2 years away from the brexit loons saying it’s a mistake and denying they ever voted for it I reckon.

The biggest irony about the whole thing is that it seems to have made post brexit immigration and asylum issues way worse. In the town nearest where I live which is over 100 miles from Dover 3 of the largest hotels have been essentially taken over entirely by the home office to house asylum seekers for over a year now and there’s rumours of a fourth happening too. I mean one was a Hilton hotel. I have nothing againest people escaping difficult situations and immigration neither makes my life better or worse so I’m not againest it but it seems an unscalable problem that can’t be fixed and the one shining beacon the xenophobic brexit lot seemed to cling to is actually far worse than better.

Post #555327  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:15 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
...The biggest irony about the whole thing is that it seems to have made post brexit immigration and asylum issues way worse...
But how exactly has Brexit increased asylum seeker numbers? According to the House of Commons Library Report of March this year, in 2021, 48540 people applied for asylum, the largest number since 2003. Of those 43% were nationals of Middle Eastern countries, 28% were nationals of African countries, 18% were nationals of Asian countries, and just 12% were from Europe. After years of falling levels of applications asylum seeking is on the rise, but surely that is more to do with wars and the harsh political and repressive conditions people live under in non-European countries?

Post #555328  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:31 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
...The biggest irony about the whole thing is that it seems to have made post brexit immigration and asylum issues way worse...
But how exactly has Brexit increased asylum seeker numbers? According to the House of Commons Library Report of March this year, in 2021, 48540 people applied for asylum, the largest number since 2003. Of those 43% were nationals of Middle Eastern countries, 28% were nationals of African countries, 18% were nationals of Asian countries, and just 12% were from Europe. After years of falling levels of applications asylum seeking is on the rise, but surely that is more to do with wars and the harsh political and repressive conditions people live under in non-European countries?

The promise of frictionless trade which was a total lie putting vastly increased pressure on home office resources like errrr border control.

The end of the Dublin agreement which meant the principle that only one Member State was responsible for examining an asylum application. This stopped asylum seekers from being sent from one country to another ie France to the UK.

And more and more and more.

Post #555329  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:47 pm 

Not the slightest bit excited about the World Cup starting today

Post #555330  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:10 pm 

Looks like Qatar have invested in the VAR too. It’s their 12th man. Very dubious cancelling out of a goal against them in the 2nd minute.

Dodgy keeper, dodgy VAR.

Post #555331  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:25 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Looks like Qatar have invested in the VAR too. It’s their 12th man. Very dubious cancelling out of a goal against them in the 2nd minute.

Dodgy keeper, dodgy VAR.

I didn't see anything wrong with the goal. Will be interesting to look at the replay at half time.
Qatar 1 down now though, Ecuador are all over them.

Post #555332  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:59 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Dodgy keeper, dodgy VAR.

I didn't see anything wrong with the goal. Will be interesting to look at the replay at half time.

The half time re-showing demonstrates what a ludicrous decision it was via VAR.

Nobody (at the time the ball was played) was anywhere close to being offside. But they got round that by not showing it to anybody.

Strangely the second goal was a far more valid candidate for being disallowed if one were that way inclined.

Post #555333  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:16 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Nobody (at the time the ball was played) was anywhere close to being offside. But they got round that by not showing it to anybody.

Strangely the second goal was a far more valid candidate for being disallowed if one were that way inclined.

Thankfully it doesn't look like it will affect the result, hopefully at least. Rooting for Ecuador to get a third and put the game to bed.

Post #555334  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:12 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Thankfully it doesn't look like it will affect the result, hopefully at least. Rooting for Ecuador to get a third and put the game to bed.

La Marca are running an article on their website that asks “Are Qatar the worst quality hosts ever?”. Savage but close to the truth.

Post #555335  Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:22 am 

warrior wrote:
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I don't normally post a lot of personal stuff but Judith suggested I do as the initial diagnosis was a possible kidney cancer which is what Steve Gleiber had. I am mostly upset that we didn't even get a chance to proceed further with anything to do with her potential cancer and instead just watch her not eat for so long.

She was in the outpatient section of the hospital. No one in there had any heart monitors or life support stuff on them as all the patients were meant to go home. We were very suspicious when they moved her into her own room 2 days before she passed but were assured that it was normal and there was nothing to worry about.

I've had to do many things that I had never even thought of the past few weeks. Arrange a funeral, wake, grave site, church, burial, her clothes to wear, death certificate info, relatives, emails, phone calls. We had no children so I am here on my own now. Also creating funeral videos, booklets, a picture to place on the coffin and some personal effects.

It's very tough. Her parents both lived over 25 years longer than she so I thought we'd have another quarter century together.

We had just bought a place after looking after her parents for 7 years until they passed away in 2013 and 2017. We rented a place for a year while I fixed their old place then we moved here. I fixed this place up for her with a new deck, full smart home stuff, cabinets and security etc etc. I did all the rooms. Everything was mostly done - then covid hit. But we just isolated as the place was very comfortable for us and we got on brilliantly. We were barely ever out of each others sight for over 3 decades.

Sorry to hear that Rog. I can only hope that shared time with family and friends provides a tiny bit of solace.

Post #555336  Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:37 am 

long time gooner wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Even better was the cartoon characters that were used to 'model' the offside. But it seems that because the goalie is miles of his line does that mean the other defender doesn't count?

Attachment:

Post #555337  Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:06 am 

grantyboy wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Even better was the cartoon characters that were used to 'model' the offside. But it seems that because the goalie is miles of his line does that mean the other defender doesn't count?

Attachment:
the official call.png

The goalie being miles off his line would affect it in that there would have to be two other defenders goal side/level.

But the timing of the cartoon is suspect. There was no connect to anything else. When the ball was played forward everyone appeared to be well onside.

Post #555338  Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:30 am 

long time gooner wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Attachment:
the official call.png

The goalie being miles off his line would affect it in that there would have to be two other defenders goal side/level.

But the timing of the cartoon is suspect. There was no connect to anything else. When the ball was played forward everyone appeared to be well onside.

There was a very strong sense of brushing over the incident quickly to preserve the Kumbaya vibe. Very poor look.

Post #555339  Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:38 am 

Ash wrote:
Rog, your presence on here, your class, your understated humour, your dignified responses. I’ll bet Meg loved you every bit as much as you loved her. I’m so so sorry for your loss. It isn’t fair. I pray you have every bit of strength you need for the next few days weeks and months and that you can draw family around you like a blanket. My thoughts are very much with you in this tragic loss. As others have said, and from your own words she seems like a beautiful woman inside and out.

Very well put, Ash.

Post #555340  Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:05 pm 

Saka starts for England. I really hope he has a good tournament and ultimately that means goals and assists because for some reason he seems to be an easy target for many in this country - partly because he keeps out other flair players (you can't play them all and he absolutely deserves to play ahead of all of them) - but people in this country wont look at the all round good play, they will simply judge players by goals and assists. Saka is an easy player to bring off for the likes of Grealish or Foden as well.

For my money the likes of Maguire, Sterling and Mount are very lucky to be starting and are only doing so on the basis of loyalty from Southgate because their form has been nothing to write home about at all

Post #555341  Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:19 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
The England armband thing is hysterical

So English and a classic piece of stupidity from the FA. Announce in advance you are going to do it and send fifa a letter telling them, fifa then threatens to book the captain and the FA then withdraw the idea. We’ve made our point etc

Great protest lads :14laughter:

Although he is now allowed to wear an armband that says ‘No discrimination’. Much the same really, as in equally ineffective.

Post #555342  Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:24 pm 

Iran putting in a few naughty late tackles - interesting to hear the partisan English pundits say the ref has a duty of responsibility to protect the england players......it is funny because you never hear this when they commentate on a prem game between a good team and a clogger team

Post #555343  Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:31 pm 

Saka for the Golden Boot. :58big-emoticons:

Post #555344  Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:49 am 

Decaf wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Saka scores a brilliant goal !!!!!!!!
:53big-emoticons:

:58big-emoticons:
Sadly I missed the game because the electricity was off again :1cry:
The situation here is a bit of a joke.

Hope all the chaos in the world drops a few notches, so life for us normal people can be better
Hope you get your electricity back soon

Post #555345  Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:53 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Andy Green wrote:

Why's that G7?

I like the energy and drive from the African teams

From what I saw Senegal were anything but that and were boringly playing for a draw until Holland ended that idea.

Wales played better in their 2nd half against US but boy oh boy am I glad we didn't go back for Ramsey who looked well past it. Bale was equally rubbish. Ref was ok though and justifiably handed out yellows for nearly every professional foul which is rare to see.

Post #555346  Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:12 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Sadly I missed the game because the electricity was off again :1cry:
The situation here is a bit of a joke.

Hope all the chaos in the world drops a few notches, so life for us normal people can be better

Thanks Gooner 7. I'm quite sad that I missed it.

Those that can, are going off grid. Unfortunately, most can't afford it. In our case, there is always some other major expense that has priority. :icon_rabbit:

Post #555347  Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:33 am 

Rich wrote:
Interesting that the refs are actually adding on the correct amount of added time. 9/10 minutes and it’s absolutely right. The token 3 minutes in prem games never accounts for the actual stoppages in play

It’s a new approach.

Chairman of Fifa’s referees committee Pierluigi Collina confirmed last week that fourth officials had been instructed to keep on top of the time lost during matches at the tournament in Qatar, something they had also tried to do at the previous World Cup in Russia in 2018.

“In Russia, we tried to be more accurate in compensating for time lost during games and that’s why you saw six, seven or even eight minutes added on,” he told reporters at a pre-tournament briefing.

“Think about it: if you have three goals in a half, you’ll probably lose four or five minutes in total to celebrations and the restart.”

The result of this new approach was a number of records being broken.

According to Opta, the four single halves with the most stoppage time in a single World Cup match since records began in 1966 were all on Monday:

England v Iran first half (14:08 minutes)
England v Iran second half (13:08)
USA v Wales second half (10:34)
Senegal v Netherlands second half (10:03)

Post #555348  Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:37 am 

Just got to love xG.

Saudi Arabia’s is 0.13 right now.

And they are 2-1 up against Argentina. :laughing7:

Post #555349  Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:07 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Just got to love xG.

Wow, despite 14 minutes added time.

Argentina unbeaten for 3 years. 36 games. Till now.

Post #555350  Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:31 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Just got to love xG.

Wow, despite 14 minutes added time.

Argentina unbeaten for 3 years. 36 games. Till now.

:laughing7: :laughing7:

Post #555351  Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:45 pm 

The England team did well yesterday – that’s high praise for me. However, it occurred to me that it could have been quite a different team.

Raheem Sterling was born in Jamaica and came here at the age of 5. Bukayo Saka’s parents hadn't long been in London before he was born so he might easily have declared for Nigeria.

Rice and Grealish both started their international careers playing for Ireland at most levels up to U21s. Declan Rice actually played for Ireland’s senior team.

How are they viewed over there?

Post #555352  Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:35 pm 

Kudos to Saudi Arabia, they played the second half with lots of drive
Every player played out of their skin to deny Argentina
IMO, Di Maria slowed Argentina down

Post #555353  Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:37 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I like the energy and drive from the African teams

From what I saw Senegal were anything but that and were boringly playing for a draw until Holland ended that idea.

Wales played better in their 2nd half against US but boy oh boy am I glad we didn't go back for Ramsey who looked well past it. Bale was equally rubbish. Ref was ok though and justifiably handed out yellows for nearly every professional foul which is rare to see.

I was speaking generally about African teams.
I caught about 10 mins of the first half, did see Senegal driving forward a lot. But then got sleepy and went to bed.

Post #555354  Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:39 pm 

Decaf wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Those that can, are going off grid. Unfortunately, most can't afford it. In our case, there is always some other major expense that has priority. :icon_rabbit:

Log onto bingsport.com for the highlights
It is a subscription channel for live games, but free when viewing the highlights

Post #555355  Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:15 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Kudos to Saudi Arabia, they played the second half with lots of drive. Every player played out of their skin to deny Argentina. IMO, Di Maria slowed Argentina down
Yes great physicality and tenacity from Saudis - not often you see Argentina bested in a muscle match as they were today. Though it has to be said some of the Saudi tackling was very raw - 21 fouls and countless bookings!

All how we see it I guess, but I thought Di Maria was the one Argentine to look dangerous when the going got tough. He kept going and made several crosses to no avail. So often Messi walks around in a game, only to sneak into position and suddenly burst into life with devastating effect. Not so much today, in particular in the second half.

Post #555356  Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:15 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Log onto bingsport.com for the highlights
It is a subscription channel for live games, but free when viewing the highlights

Post #555357  Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:35 pm 

DHD wrote:
The England team did well yesterday – that’s high praise for me. However, it occurred to me that it could have been quite a different team.

Raheem Sterling was born in Jamaica and came here at the age of 5. Bukayo Saka’s parents hadn't long been in London before he was born so he might easily have declared for Nigeria.

Rice and Grealish both started their international careers playing for Ireland at most levels up to U21s. Declan Rice actually played for Ireland’s senior team.

How are they viewed over there?

They are far from popular and the chances are that even one of them could be the difference in getting us to a world cup or Euros.

I don't begrudge either of them. Both were born in England and have lived their whole lives there. Their families have a strong Irish connection (Grealish even played GAA as a kid) so when given the chance to play at schoolboys and then U21 level for Ireland, they were bound to take it. The problem is with the rules. The fact that Rice actually had played at senior international level for Ireland before switching is ridiculous.

Post #555358  Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:02 pm 

5 Goalkeepers at the WC either play or have played for Arsenal. Name them.

Post #555359  Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:21 pm 

Darren wrote:

Turner, Ramsdale, Szczesny, Leno, Fabianski and Martinez
[Edit, I see Fab is retired from international football]

Its almost more amazing that 5 of that 6 are first choice premier league goalies, and the other plays for Juve. Quite a crop.

Post #555360  Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:33 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Darren wrote:

Turner, Ramsdale, Szczesny, Leno, Fabianski and Martinez
[Edit, I see Fab is retired from international football]

Its almost more amazing that 5 of that 6 are first choice premier league goalies, and the other plays for Juve. Quite a crop.

Argh, in which case it's 4 as Leno isn't there.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13881, 13882, 13883, 13884, 13885, 13886, 13887 ... 14269  Next