Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Ash, Bing [Bot], DHD, Gaz from Oz, grantyboy and 247 guests

Post #540921  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:44 am 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
So are we all on board with Arteta now, happy to extend his contract?

That's a yes for me. When we first started that good run by winning against Tottenham in such a convincing fashion it felt as if we'd maybe turned a corner. Then we dropped down again after a couple of good performances and the doubts returned. However we picked ourselves up again, and judging the first half of the season as a whole we've taken a clear step forward to where we're now consistently looking impressive. It's never been just about the results for me - I wanted to see a clear direction forward with the way we play, and we're seeing that now. The players are growing in confidence, and they're clearly buying into Arteta's philosophy.

Post #540922  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:44 am 

Bernard wrote:
dec wrote:
Indeed. It is a regular tactic for Tierney to push forward, far more than our right side, and when that happens, Xhaka as the left-sided central midfielder will naturally move over to cover. That's what defensive midfielders do. He wasn't "hung out to dry" at all.

Tierney and Gabriel were about as near to the Sydney Opera House as the goal they were defending.

I still think it was the primary responsibility of the actual defenders to be back protecting our goal in a tight semi final at Anfield. If Xhaka hadn’t bothered covering them, people would surely have been asking why Gabriel and Tierney weren’t in a position to stop the Liverpool player scoring rather than expecting him to be back doing it. But Xhaka was trying to cover them so everyone now seems to be pointing the finger of blame at him rather than where most of the blame does lay: the absent defenders.

That is true. But the fact that a player is exposed in no way exonerates him for attempting such wild challenge. Too many rash moments like that from Xhaka, I'm afraid.

Post #540923  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:47 am 

Contrary to reports last night there may still be life in the Arthur Melo deal. Arsenal want loan with option to buy, Juve wanted obligation to buy. Clubs negotiating the loan fee and Arsenal to cover full salary which is apparently £125k per week - so £3.2m for the 6 months he'd be with us

Post #540924  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:47 am 

Very, very nervous about the NLD. Not that I don't think we can beat them or at least good for a draw (which I'd take right now). I am worried we exerted too much team energy against the Reds. I hate losing to the scum more than almost anything. No more than any gooner I suppose but its painful and I am glad I don't live in London when it happens.

Post #540925  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:48 am 

Decaf wrote:
I agree with that. What is the opposite of a Pyrrhic victory? A battle lost that contributes positively to the overall war effort.

Yeah, it's pretty simple the way I see it; if we continue to perform like we did against City we're going to win a lot of games and pick up a lot more points than if we continue to perform like we did in the win against Burnley.

It's important not to look too much at individual results. If you generally perform well you will get rewarded over a long period of time. I think we're seeing the opposite with Man Utd to draw a comparison; they haven't performed well consistently for ages, winning mostly because of individual efforts by a few very talented players. In the long run that's not sustainable, and that's why we've seen them slide down the table this season.

Post #540926  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:55 am 

Rich wrote:
Contrary to reports last night there may still be life in the Arthur Melo deal. Arsenal want loan with option to buy, Juve wanted obligation to buy. Clubs negotiating the loan fee and Arsenal to cover full salary which is apparently £125k per week - so £3.2m for the 6 months he'd be with us

I suppose an obligation might be ok I mean he’s a decent signing for the amount being reported.

The only problem as I see it is that we need a defensive midfielder to replace Mr Red Card rather than a box to box type. Seems he’s more of a Partey than of Mr Red Card or a guimares.

Post #540927  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:56 am 

Looking ahead to Sunday, it's obviously a huge game. A win would be a firm statement that we're on our way to a top 4 finish. At the same time, we shouldn't build it up too much - a loss doesn't mean the end of our fight for a CL spot.

If we do lose, they'd be one point ahead of us with two games in hand. However, our next 5 league games after Tottenham are Burnely (H), Wolves (A), Brentford (H), Watford (A) and Leicester (H). All very winnable games. Tottenham on the other hand, have Leicester (A), Chelsea (A), Southampton (H), Wolves (H), and Man City (A). Fair to say we can expect them to drop some points during that run.

Post #540928  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:03 am 

Looking forward to Sunday, though not without a healthy degree of trepidation. I think this will be the first that most Gooners have seen of their new stadium. It's certainly my first time.

You going, Bern? Anyone else?

Post #540929  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:32 am 

DHD wrote:
Looking forward to Sunday, though not without a healthy degree of trepidation. I think this will be the first that most Gooners have seen of their new stadium. It's certainly my first time.

Yeah I am. My first visit too, at least inside the ground. When I test drove my current car (so I did end up buying it), it was from the BMW showroom on the Great Cambridge Road, the A10. It was when because of Covid they were letting potential customers test drive cars alone and they asked me to bring it back between an hour and ninety minutes. You can go quite some distance in that time.

So I was thinking ‘where the hell shall I go’? I thought ‘I know, I will go and see Tottenham’s new ground’, (as well as other places which are hardly the other end of the country). I have to say it looks very impressive from the outside.

Post #540930  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:47 am 

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:

Yeah I am. My first visit too, at least inside the ground. When I test drove my current car (so I did end up buying it), it was from the BMW showroom on the Great Cambridge Road, the A10. It was when because of Covid they were letting potential customers test drive cars alone and they asked me to bring it back between an hour and ninety minutes. You can go quite some distance in that time.

So I was thinking ‘where the hell shall I go’? I thought ‘I know, I will go and see Tottenham’s new ground’, (as well as other places which are hardly the other end of the country). I have to say it looks very impressive from the outside.

I'm trying a new access route this time. Though I always used to, I haven't driven there for years so more recently I've walked from Seven Sisters - bloody 30 min yomp. On Sunday though, I have a pissy lunch in The City beforehand and I'll be taking a train from Liverpool St to White Hart Lane - 23 mins. Some trains are 18 mins.

Post #540931  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:20 pm 

DHD wrote:
I'm trying a new access route this time. Though I always used to, I haven't driven there for years so more recently I've walked from Seven Sisters - bloody 30 min yomp. On Sunday though, I have a pissy lunch in The City beforehand and I'll be taking a train from Liverpool St to White Hart Lane - 23 mins. Some trains are 18 mins.

I’ll be going to White Hart Lane station as well. Mind you I always did for their old ground since the parking restrictions on the road White Hart Lane made me stop driving there.

Post #540932  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:55 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Very, very nervous about the NLD. Not that I don't think we can beat them or at least good for a draw (which I'd take right now). I am worried we exerted too much team energy against the Reds. I hate losing to the scum more than almost anything. No more than any gooner I suppose but its painful and I am glad I don't live in London when it happens.

I think for most players it will be more mental exhaustion than physical. The back 5 in particular can;t have run as far in that game as a typical game as we pretty much set up camp in our own box.

Post #540933  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:01 pm 

Burnley v Leicester is postponed as Burnley don't have enough players.

Arteta does need to give consideration to trying to postpone v Spurs. If it were me it would rest on Tomiyasu, Emile Smith Rowe and Saka all being fit. If we can play all of those then play the game. If they're out then we have to push for the postponement.

Spurs are missing Son and Romero (as far as I can tell), We're missing half a squad. I'd rather play them with all our players back and them having Son back but I could understand if we decide to go ahead and use it as some kind of siege mentality.

Post #540934  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:13 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Inconsiderate bastards I didn’t know that . Just imagine how they would be carrying on if he came close to getting himself sent off in every single game they played

https://www.skysports.com/share/12515419

https://metro.co.uk/2022/01/13/game-aft ... MRid8w6AWo

I thought both got it right

Post #540935  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:17 pm 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
So are we all on board with Arteta now, happy to extend his contract?

As for Xhaka, surely any decent judge of football would want to see him lining up against your side.

Agree, extend Arteta's contract

Post #540936  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:21 pm 

Rich wrote:

Arteta does need to give consideration to trying to postpone v Spurs. If it were me it would rest on Tomiyasu, Emile Smith Rowe and Saka all being fit. If we can play all of those then play the game. If they're out then we have to push for the postponement.

Spurs are missing Son and Romero (as far as I can tell), We're missing half a squad. I'd rather play them with all our players back and them having Son back but I could understand if we decide to go ahead and use it as some kind of siege mentality.

We need to push for a Postponement. Find a way.

The sheer number of players missing if saka and soares don’t make it

Post #540937  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:18 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

I think we'll try, and I think we have a shot.

But honestly, if we get the game postponed, isn't that another example of how ridiculous the rules are? Do we have anyone other than Ødegaard out with covid currently? Aubameyang, Partey, Elneny and Pépé are at AFCON. Smith-Rowe and Tomiyasu are injured, possibly Cédric and Saka too. Xhaka is suspended. It's not really related to covid at all.

Post #540938  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:19 pm 

Rich wrote:

I'd fancy our chances with them not having Son. He's that good. He's their poor man's Salah at times. A full strength and fairly rested Arsenal squad right now can hold themselves against any one in the league for a time if not the whole match.

Still, NLDs are tricky, passion, referees thinking they are the main attraction, the crowd, anything can and does happen.

I'd rather not face Son if its all the same to you....haha.

Post #540939  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:42 pm 

We have 12 players off now.

Attachment:

Post #540940  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:58 pm 

warrior wrote:

Attachment:
12.jpg

Get it played. There are always going to be easy excuses in a season like this, affected as it has been by Covid / ACN - and there are always particular issues at this time of the year. We're not alone.

I think their best player by a distance is Son and I'd prefer to take them on without him. Also, on Saka, he has a habit of looking crocked for the season then coming back fresh as a daisy for the next game.

We have a season mercifully free of mid-week commitments. We should capitalise on that advantage. Postponed games just lead to confusion and fixture chaos.

EDIT

Seems this has legs.

"It has now been confirmed that Arsenal are in talks with the Premier League over the fixture."

https://dailycannon.com/2022/01/north-london-derby-postponement/

It'd be a shame.

Post #540941  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:55 pm 

DHD wrote:
warrior wrote:

Attachment:
12.jpg

Get it played. There are always going to be easy excuses in a season like this, affected as it has been by Covid / ACN - and there are always particular issues at this time of the year. We're not alone.

I think their best player by a distance is Son and I'd prefer to take them on without him. Also, on Saka, he has a habit of looking crocked for the season then coming back fresh as a daisy for the next game.

We have a season mercifully free of mid-week commitments. We should capitalise on that advantage. Postponed games just lead to confusion and fixture chaos.

We only have the league left aside from next week againest Liverpool and to play spurs away without saka, Tommy, partey & possibly Emile Smith Rowe and Ødegaard would be really difficult

Post #540942  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:07 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:

We only have the league left aside from next week againest Liverpool and to play spurs away without saka, Tommy, partey & possibly Emile Smith Rowe and Ødegaard would be really difficult

I think I may be coming around to the same inevitable conclusion, TG. I hadn't realised our list of unavailable players was quite so long.

It'd be a great shame though. I've had my arrangements in place for a while and I've been looking forward to the occasion all season. But my losses and disruption will pale into insignificance when set against the poor sods who are right now jetting in from all over the world for the NLD.

Post #540943  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:21 pm 

Looks as though the NLD Sunday maybe called off. Too many players unavailable. Test results will determine obviously. Rather this match goes ahead just to get it over with.
Wouldn't like this Sunday call off impacting second leg of EFL.

Post #540944  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:26 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

But honestly, if we get the game postponed, isn't that another example of how ridiculous the rules are? Do we have anyone other than Ødegaard out with covid currently? Aubameyang, Partey, Elneny and Pépé are at AFCON. Smith-Rowe and Tomiyasu are injured, possibly Cédric and Saka too. Xhaka is suspended. It's not really related to covid at all.

Yes the rules are unclear and ridiculous but at least if our game got called off it would be consistent with other teams who have had games called off.

Post #540945  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:57 pm 

Rich wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Yes the rules are unclear and ridiculous but at least if our game got called off it would be consistent with other teams who have had games called off.

Yeah, definitely not saying we'd be the first one to hide behind the rules. Though I'm genuinely curious if any team has had a game postponed because of one single covid case?

Post #540946  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:35 pm 

I've seen a few people blog or post about our support this season and the connection with the fans, and that they seem to be surrounded by a much younger following for The Arsenal. It's great if that's true because there was a danger that with us not being a title chasing or even CL team for a while now that we might lose these younger fans to other clubs - I'm sure that has happened a fair bit especially with the rise of Chelsea and City.

I wonder if the new younger Arsenal- particularly with players like Saka and Smith Rowe, local academy players who younger fans can instantly identify with has a big factor in this next generation of support. Even little things like the interaction and energy Ramsdale brings help. Also, I don't know if its confirmation bias but our players do seem to go to the fans a lot more post games, lots more shirts thrown to the crowd etc. I think something like the reaction at full time to the City home defeat would have been amazing for the players - to know your fans cheer and applaud you off the pitch after losing in the 93rd minute.

Pessimists and fans of other clubs would use this as some way to beat the club down as they'd say it 'shows how far we've fallen', but I'd ignore that and just look forward and be excited about the future of the club.

I think Arteta deserves his contract and I hope the board back him and Edu with the money they need to have another summer like we had last year, because another one like that and we could be really on our way back challenging.

Post #540947  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:38 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:

Yeah, definitely not saying we'd be the first one to hide behind the rules. Though I'm genuinely curious if any team has had a game postponed because of one single covid case?

We’ve got two if you count Aubameyang. :laughing7:

Post #540948  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:59 pm 

Seems Edu and Co. missed the 12 noon registration loan signing deadline today for new midfielder Arthur Melo to even play in the NLD.
According to the registration PL rules anyway.

Post #540949  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:01 pm 

The whole scenario of games getting postponed for spurious reasons has been a disgrace. But there is no way the PL can turn down our request given that they've granted all the others.

Post #540950  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:14 pm 

They are going to turn it down aren’t they :laughing7:

Paranoia will reach breitbart levels.

Post #540951  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:19 pm 

Zed wrote:
Seems Edu and Co. missed the 12 noon registration loan signing deadline today for new midfielder Arthur Melo to even play in the NLD.

I mean, we're probably not going to have him start against Tottenham away without a single training session with the team anyway.

Post #540952  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:57 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
The whole scenario of games getting postponed for spurious reasons has been a disgrace. But there is no way the PL can turn down our request given that they've granted all the others.

Huge game at a prime 4.30pm kick off for the sky cameras with no other games at that time. I think they'll make us play.
If they do it wouldn't surprise me if some of the players we're saying are injured will play, and of course everyone will crucify us - but I suspect many, many footballers play injured but we're using those slight injuries to enhance our case for getting the game called off.

Post #540953  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:00 pm 

Rich wrote:
Huge game at a prime 4.30pm kick off for the sky cameras with no other games at that time. I think they'll make us play.
If they do it wouldn't surprise me if some of the players we're saying are injured will play, and of course everyone will crucify us - but I suspect many, many footballers play injured but we're using those slight injuries to enhance our case for getting the game called off.

It's not different to what other clubs are doing, so while I think the rules are bonkers I put zero blame on the club for this. Their job is to put us in the best position to win games, and clearly they feel that's what they're doing.

Post #540954  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:03 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Zed wrote:

I mean, we're probably not going to have him start against Tottenham away without a single training session with the team anyway.

Well as of now I'd suspect that getting the NLD called off took prority. So a pre-training session wouldn't be feasible. Allegri rather Melo not go out on loan to Arsenal anyway.

Post #540955  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:12 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:

It's not different to what other clubs are doing, so while I think the rules are bonkers I put zero blame on the club for this. Their job is to put us in the best position to win games, and clearly they feel that's what they're doing.

It wouldn't be a shock if we were turned down though. Not looking for excuses, but if the club has a very good case to have it called off, so be it. There was no hesitation for the Burnley-Leicester match being called off. I'm assuming this is only the second time off request the club has submitted, being the Brentford match beginning of the season was turned down.

Post #540956  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:40 pm 

Zed wrote:

Time to write another glorious chapter in the Clubs history perhaps ; hard on the heels of our Warsaw Ghetto moment at Anfield ,

Arsenal wracked by injuries , Covid and suspensions , having missed the loan deadline .......who do they call ? .... Jack Wilshere
He has been training with us ; so not totally out of condition .

Think of the storyline ... Aging gnarled old hero plucked from the wilderness to vanquish their bitter most hated enemy .... classic Roy of the Rovers stuff .

No Pyrrhic victory here Decaf .... this would be Patten entering Berlin atop a Sherman waving his twin pearl handled Colts in all directions .

Post #540957  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:12 pm 

Spurs are reportedly annoyed at arsenal asking for the game to be called off, potentially because of the late timing…..which is quite rich for a team who let Rennes fly to London before they told them they asked for the game to be called off

Post #540958  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:18 pm 

Rich wrote:
Spurs are reportedly annoyed at arsenal asking for the game to be called off, potentially because of the late timing…..which is quite rich for a team who let Rennes fly to London before they told them they asked for the game to be called off

Good spot. :58big-emoticons:

Post #540959  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:40 pm 

Rich wrote:

Clowns. Media darlings who never actually do anything. One single trophy in the 21st century.

Post #540960  Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:51 pm 

DHD wrote:

EDIT

Seems this has legs.

"It has now been confirmed that Arsenal are in talks with the Premier League over the fixture."

https://dailycannon.com/2022/01/north-london-derby-postponement/

It'd be a shame.

I’m with DHD on this and hope it isn’t postponed. It would be far better to play them without Son and I suspect Rich is right when I think he said if it is played, lots of our supposedly injured players will somehow make miraculous recoveries and be on the pitch this Sunday.

[ 571944 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13521, 13522, 13523, 13524, 13525, 13526, 13527 ... 14299  Next