Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 135 guests

Post #555721  Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:41 pm 

Ash wrote:
This England side in 2 years and 4 years time will have Saka, Foden Bellingham and Rice all in their early to mid 20s. That’s another and better #goldengeneration for me. The loss is going to be Kane being 31 and 33. Replacing what he does for England is going to be difficult and other players are going to need to break through, but that’s a great midfield core to build upon. Expect England to be bothering the quarters and semis for the next 4 year cycle. On balance maybe keep Southgate til the next euros? Toss of a coin really. He’s pretty experienced at international level at this point.

England's behavior at the end is a lesson for certain other countries on how to lose with dignity. England are going to win a major tournament soon with the players they have.

Post #555722  Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:31 am 

Vince Ordinaire wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
What do you call a woman with a penis?

bubblechris?

LOL...reminds me of an old joke, 'What do you call Michael Jackson? - A white woman' What do you call Prince? Michael Jackson with a penis.

Post #555723  Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:50 am 

bubblechris wrote:
john1 wrote:
It’s incredible how some people have such closed minds. No wonder Trump, QAnon etc are making such an impact, when individuals like Chris can be so easily manipulated just because they can’t even ask the simple question why? And how they can’t see that they’re being taken for a ride? Baffling.

2 wokies now huh!

Do you know what typical wokies do today?

They believe that they are right and anyone who disagrees with them is wrong. Sums you 2 up completely.

I would remind you of other times I was right and some of you ridiculed me:
I was in favour of Sanchez leaving.
I was in favour of Aubamayang leaving.
I was in favour of us following the Swedish way of treating Covid 19.
I was against the claims of Sage.
I was against lockdowns.
I'm sure there were others but unlike you I allow other people to disagree with me provided they don't start the name calling.

I rest my case............

Vince's comment was a very appropriate and funny response to your gratuitous, foul mouthed reference to masturbation and women with penises.

How on earth does that make him a woke lefty? Unless 'woke' and 'lefty' are labels you apply to anyone who disagrees with you?

eg.
Agree with Bubble Chris about Sanchez leaving = patriotic, beef-eating, right wing Brit.
Disagree with Bubble Chris about Sanchez leaving = woke Lefty labour -upporting sexual deviant probably with unusual genitalia?

Post #555724  Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:45 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Vince Ordinaire wrote:
bubblechris?

LOL...reminds me of an old joke, 'What do you call Michael Jackson? - A white woman' What do you call Prince? Michael Jackson with a penis.

I'm probably a bit slow - I'm ready for the whoosh - but I really don't get this. Prince is a white woman with a penis?

Post #555725  Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:12 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Prince is a white woman with a penis?

bubblechris is the ghost of Prince?

Post #555726  Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:15 am 

Well they say you get more right wing as you get older, but still. Didn't see that one coming.

Post #555727  Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:31 am 

Vince Ordinaire wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:
Prince is a white woman with a penis?

I'm confused. Are you agreeing with me, which would make me another wokie? I'm afraid.

Post #555728  Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:36 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Vince Ordinaire wrote:

I'm confused. Are you agreeing with me, which would make me another wokie? I'm afraid.

It's very simple.

Do you agree or disagree with Tony Benn's stance on selling Alexis Sanchez to the Common Market?

Post #555729  Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:54 am 

Vince Ordinaire wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

It's very simple.

Do you agree or disagree with Tony Benn's stance on selling Alexis Sanchez to the Common Market?

I liked Alexis Sanchez for a while. I don't know who Tony Benn is. 'Common Market' are two quite nice words. Maybe this conversation is getting too brainy for me.

Post #555730  Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:41 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
Maybe this conversation is getting too brainy for me.

Oh I don't think you need to worry about that.

Post #555731  Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:38 pm 

Vince Ordinaire wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:
Maybe this conversation is getting too brainy for me.

Oh I don't think you need to worry about that.

:15laughter:

Post #555732  Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:56 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

I'm probably a bit slow - I'm ready for the whoosh - but I really don't get this. Prince is a white woman with a penis?

I think there is a fair gap between Aust humour and American humour

Post #555733  Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:18 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

So it seems...

Post #555734  Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:09 pm 

This will cheer everyone up

“Arsenal have become favourites to sign Portugal forward Joao Felix, 23, from Atletico Madrid in January, ahead of Paris St-Germain, Manchester United and Aston Villa.” - Marca

But also…

There is a "good chance" Arsenal will be able to sign Ukraine winger Mykhaylo Mudryk in January, for less than the £86m Shakhtar Donetsk previously wanted for the 21-year-old. - Athletic

That “good chance” quote is vía Orstein and he got that from “sources with knowledge of the matter”. So that’s a smoking gun if ever I didn’t see one.

So that’s 150million quid we’re spending in January before we talk about Danilo or anyone else.

So there we go. We’re winning the league on a tidal wave of January spending. Doesn’t December seem brighter now?

Post #555735  Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:25 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

I’d say the gap was unfair.

Post #555736  Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:28 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

I note Rodney Rude is not on this list :laughing7: :laughing7:

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/cu ... -2-105990/

Post #555737  Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:19 pm 

We beat AC Milan 2-1 in a friendly, and beat them 4-3 on pens.

Ødegaard and Nelson scored for us

Post #555738  Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:06 pm 

I'm rooting for the Croats this evening. Sick of the endless Messi hero worship I'm hearing in the media.

Edit: now I've written that put your money on Messi winning it single handed.

Post #555739  Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:43 pm 

Or Messi and Alvarez. 2-0.

Post #555740  Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:47 pm 

Ash wrote:

“Arsenal have become favourites to sign Portugal forward Joao Felix, 23, from Atletico Madrid in January, ahead of Paris St-Germain, Manchester United and Aston Villa.” - Marca

But also…

There is a "good chance" Arsenal will be able to sign Ukraine winger Mykhaylo Mudryk in January, for less than the £86m Shakhtar Donetsk previously wanted for the 21-year-old. - Athletic

That “good chance” quote is vía Orstein and he got that from “sources with knowledge of the matter”. So that’s a smoking gun if ever I didn’t see one.

So that’s 150million quid we’re spending in January before we talk about Danilo or anyone else.

So there we go. We’re winning the league on a tidal wave of January spending. Doesn’t December seem brighter now?

Can't say that excites me too much.

Post #555741  Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:30 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Ash wrote:

But also…

Okaaaay. Most of my post was ironic. The part where we’re obviously not spending north of 150m in January was the clue I thought.

Post #555742  Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:11 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I note Rodney Rude is not on this list :laughing7: :laughing7:

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/cu ... -2-105990/

It's a travesty.

Post #555743  Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:20 pm 

Rich wrote:
We beat AC Milan 2-1 in a friendly, and beat them 4-3 on pens.

Ødegaard and Nelson scored for us

Eddie gets a special mention

https://www.arsenalinsider.com/match-re ... -ac-milan/

Post #555744  Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:21 am 

I’m a huge Messi fan, have always called him the greatest ever no matter what happens at this World Cup, however even aI can admit that everything does seem to be going a bit OTT for him right now. The moments he can produce are very special but there is still another 10 players in this feisty and talented Argentina side.

I must say though, those people with a Ronaldo or even an anti-Messi agenda must find it awfully tiring to somehow keep maintaining that argument that he’s not the greatest despite all evidence to the contrary.

Post #555745  Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:26 am 

Had the pleasure of seeing the Milan friendly

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/m1_yfYhWua8

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/JTwgXddOGBg

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/xoHv9SgViqs

Post #555746  Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:21 pm 

Ash wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Okaaaay. Most of my post was ironic. The part where we’re obviously not spending north of 150m in January was the clue I thought.

Ah yes I see.

Post #555747  Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:32 pm 

Legitimate question actually.

Attachments:

Post #555748  Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:39 pm 

I'm going for France, Giroud to score. No where near the stature of Jennings to both rival clubs Arsenal and Tottenham but he'll be remembered as their own to some extent by both us and Chelsea.

Attachments:

Post #555749  Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:04 pm 

All this over the top Messi bollocks is getting on my wick. Yes, he's a good player.....doesn't actually make my all time top 5 but certainly top ten. Greatest of all time ...no way

And I really really don't like him....nor his scummy team mates.....I'm going to hold my nose and hope that France beat them(assuming they beat Morocco)

Pele
Maradona
Cruyff
Best
Maldini

Post #555750  Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:37 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
All this over the top Messi bollocks is getting on my wick. Yes, he's a good player.....doesn't actually make my all time top 5 but certainly top ten. Greatest of all time ...no way

And I really really don't like him....nor his scummy team mates.....I'm going to hold my nose and hope that France beat them(assuming they beat Morocco)

Pele
Maradona
Cruyff
Best
Maldini

The top two I'd give you are in the conversation but the other 3 are the tier below. Messi simply does things on a football pitch I've never seen anyone do so consistently before.

beat 5 men and score? of course plenty of players have scored that kind of wonder goal in their career, but have they done it 20+ times?
those 25 yard shots in to the top corner? again plenty have done that, but to score 10-15 of those types of goals every season?

His 2012 calendar year with 92 odd goals I can;t ever see being repeated, just look at the La Liga form in 12/13 alone in the link below. 19 straight games scoring at least 1 goal and 46 goals and 13 assists in just 32 games
https://www.transfermarkt.com/lionel-me ... aison=2012

His 11/12 season was pretty stupendous as well. 50 goals and 19 assists in 37 games (1.8 goals and assists per game - from 1 guy!) This is the season he won all 6 trophies for Barca I think
https://www.transfermarkt.com/lionel-me ... aison=2011

Post #555751  Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:51 pm 

Whenever I have heard the best players debate, a large part of gets reduced to what era you grew up in. It's one of those unwinnable things and it happens in all sports.

We have the same issue between NBA players from the past and today's. Its usually Wilt Chamberlain and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar vs Michael Jordan

or Michael Jordan vs Kobe Bryant or LeBron. There seems to be a consistent name there obviously.

Post #555752  Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:13 pm 

Rich wrote:
Andy Green wrote:

Pele
Maradona
Cruyff
Best
Maldini

The top two I'd give you are in the conversation but the other 3 are the tier below. Messi simply does things on a football pitch I've never seen anyone do so consistently before.

beat 5 men and score? of course plenty of players have scored that kind of wonder goal in their career, but have they done it 20+ times?
those 25 yard shots in to the top corner? again plenty have done that, but to score 10-15 of those types of goals every season?

His 2012 calendar year with 92 odd goals I can;t ever see being repeated, just look at the La Liga form in 12/13 alone in the link below. 19 straight games scoring at least 1 goal and 46 goals and 13 assists in just 32 games

His 11/12 season was pretty stupendous as well. 50 goals and 19 assists in 37 games (1.8 goals and assists per game - from 1 guy!) This is the season he won all 6 trophies for Barca I think

I'll politely disagree,Rich !! I absolutely stick with my five. Anyhow, Merry Christmas.... I really enjoy your posts ....in particular your detailed analyses of our great club.

Post #555753  Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:41 pm 

When I got into football, which obviously was far later than all of you, it was Pele vs Maradona as the best.

It seems Pele has left the conversation and its any combination of Maradona vs either or both Messi or Cristiano.

Or Maradona has completely left the conversation as is Pele and its Messi vs Cristiano. One thing a savvy young person said at the pub I used to watch matches (and a fair point you old timers have to concede) is they would say 'You lot never really watched those greats. TV was very limited in those days, I've seen the old films as well as the best today live on TV multiple times'

What say ye to that argument?

Post #555754  Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:25 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
Rich wrote:

I'll politely disagree,Rich !! I absolutely stick with my five. Anyhow, Merry Christmas.... I really enjoy your posts ....in particular your detailed analyses of our great club.

Merry Christmas to you too Andy. These ‘best ever’ discussions can rarely be agreed on by everyone and that’s fine. I’ll put out my reasons for the ones I like not to try to change anyone’s mind necessarily but maybe just to give a perspective on why I choose them. Your top 5 list will be very popular and similar to many people so it’s not outrageous or like you put someone bizarre in there.

I wonder if there is any ‘greatest X’ where the huge majority of football fans would agree. Arsenal’s greatest ever player would easily get 10 names by various generations of fans (Thierry Henry for me).
Sometimes even relatively factual questions can be debated, for example ‘the greatest World Cup goalscorer’ by the facts is Klose with the most goals, but many will point to Ronaldo (Brazilian Ronaldo) who has only 1 goal less because of his story and scoring 2 goals in the final itself

Post #555755  Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:40 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
john1 wrote:

Oh dear, where to start.

1. Who’s dissing the UK? You mean like what your favourite paper The S*n did with that billboard in Paris?
2. Conflating BRITISH with English.
3. I’m not very proud of what Britain has become, in no small part due to Brexit.
4. Loads have complained about VAR.
5. Two pens were awarded to England. The fact they couldn’t score a normal goal, and that Kane bottled it, is no fault of VAR.
6. Yes, demand a replay. And I demand another EU referendum.

This is the Brexit tweet in a nutshell. Arrogant small minded exceptionalism, combined with utter lack of self awareness, tact and diplomacy. That’s why the country is in a mess Chris; because of people who vote the way you do. No-one else’s fault.

Another woke wankfest from a Labour leftie. What do you call a woman with a penis?

The mis-categorised naming convention for the owners of different genitalia is the biggest problem our country faces right now.

Why is it always that the people who are using the word woke are always complete helmets also? There’s direct correlation there isn’t it.

Post #555756  Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:56 am 

Too cold, feels like -10 here, to get into one of your pathetic rants. Typical blaming someone for calling out the woke. Scotland changed definition of a woman, hopefully Supreme Court here will correct that. Sad that the left is going down this route. Of course it's Brexit's fault.
Have!agood Christmas if you can. Stay safe stay warm.

Post #555757  Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:42 pm 

Rich wrote:
These ‘best ever’ discussions can rarely be agreed on by everyone and that’s fine.

A big part of that is because it's so difficult to compare different eras. How do you measure Pelé - a player who most people never saw play a single game at club level and who built his reputation in Europe pretty much solely on the World Cup - to Messi and Ronaldo, who most of us have seen at least dozens of times for their clubs over the years?

For me there's no question both Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are in the conversation for the best player ever, and their case is probably the easiest one to back up with sheer numbers. For a whole decade they were in a league of their own; when the best strikers and attacking players in the world scored 30 goals per season, they scored 50 or 60, with Messi hitting 73 goals in the 11/12 season. On top of that, their assist numbers were usually up there with the top playmakers in the game as well.

I'm not sure any other player can claim that level of dominance for a period of more than a decade. Maradona, as brilliant as he was, probably had a period of 6-7 years when he was really on top of his game. Pele won World Cups 12 years apart, but lacks the club level dominance as he never played against the best in Europe at that level. Players like Cruyff and Zidane had great longevity, but were hardly the best player in the world for that long.

It will never be possible to determine this with certainty of course, but I do think both Messi and Ronaldo have a very strong case for being the two best ever players. Stats, trophies, dominance over their peers, they have it all and it's very tangible in their cases.

Post #555758  Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:52 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Too cold, feels like -10 here, to get into one of your pathetic rants. Typical blaming someone for calling out the woke. Scotland changed definition of a woman, hopefully Supreme Court here will correct that. Sad that the left is going down this route.

'The left' has gone down this route because it's literally a question of people's lives. There's probably no more marginalized group in our society than transgender people and on top of the threat they face from others (which often is very much a physical one), the rates of depression and suicide is extremely high compared to the average population. Science shows very clearly that that risk decreases significantly if they are afforded gender-affirming care, and since how other people identify has absolutely no material effect on your life whatsoever, the transphobia you're displaying is nothing more than a disgusting case of moral panic.

Will probably not be posting much on here until there's something Arsenal related to talk about, so I'll take this opportunity as well to wish you all a merry christmas, and I hope all is well with you all.

Except of course for bubblechris; please have the christmas you deserve, you reactionary scumbag.

Post #555759  Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:10 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
Too cold, feels like -10 here, to get into one of your pathetic rants. Typical blaming someone for calling out the woke. Scotland changed definition of a woman, hopefully Supreme Court here will correct that. Sad that the left is going down this route.

'The left' has gone down this route because it's literally a question of people's lives. There's probably no more marginalized group in our society than transgender people and on top of the threat they face from others (which often is very much a physical one), the rates of depression and suicide is extremely high compared to the average population. Science shows very clearly that that risk decreases significantly if they are afforded gender-affirming care, and since how other people identify has absolutely no material effect on your life whatsoever, the transphobia you're displaying is nothing more than a disgusting case of moral panic.

Will probably not be posting much on here until there's something Arsenal related to talk about, so I'll take this opportunity as well to wish you all a merry christmas, and I hope all is well with you all.

Except of course for bubblechris; please have the christmas you deserve, you reactionary scumbag.

As a father of 2 daughters I am not ok with males, which is what transwomen are, entering women's toilets. changing rooms etc. They can live their lives how they want but you don't get to declare yourself to be something you're not. And the underlined bit is wide to debate. I see so called Trans people getting plenty of support form politicians, celebs not to mention plenty of dosh and airtime for their activists.

Post #555760  Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:13 pm 

Best Messi moment was prior to the CL final when Barca were playing Manure. Andy Grey said Messi wasn't top drawer because he couldn't head the ball. Messi to proceeds to score...................with a header.

[ 570735 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13891, 13892, 13893, 13894, 13895, 13896, 13897 ... 14269  Next