Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, Gaz from Oz, warrior and 137 guests

Post #537681  Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:37 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Getting a better striker is priority. Aubameyang is past it.
If not for Ramsdale, we could have lost 7 or 8 nil. Pool cut through our midfield too easily. And our defensive shape was easily breached. The coaching team should use this game as a key learning video. No doubt Lokonga and Tavares aided too many of their attacks too.

Ode is still too lightweight to be our creative mid. Not someone I would want to depend on.

Ah well, not the end of the world for us. I think we can still aim for 4th.

Gidday G7 ..... it a collective thing not a question of Ødegaard too lightweight Aubameyang passed his best , swap both of them into a Liverpool shirt and they'd have performed well .

We need to function as a team , everybody playing their role .
When you display as many weaknesses / basic errors as we did today the introduction of Messi , Ronaldo in their prime wouldn't have made any difference .
Liverpool's play today is a model we should aspire to .
The spat between Arteta and Klopp seemed to galvanise them into action we were quite comfortable up to that point . :laughing7:

Post #537682  Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:26 pm 

The bottom line is that I don’t think Arteta is tactically up to it. Even when we are in trouble he is incapable of making a change in tactics. How we react from here is a real test of the team and manager.

Post #537683  Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:36 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
The bottom line is that I don’t think Arteta is tactically up to it. Even when we are in trouble he is incapable of making a change in tactics. How we react from here is a real test of the team and manager.

Theres no obvious omission from our starting 11 that fixes defeats like that right now. You can only moan about the manager so much. It’s not like messi is being ignored on the bench.

It is what it is and the fans that go week in week out largely understand our predicament and the ones that don’t moan about substitutions and nonsense. It’s quite hard to listen to but the divs and weirdos on the internet need to understand we ain’t sacking our manager right now if he’s in 5th position. We just don’t have enough options in the squad to change things.

Post #537684  Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:59 pm 

john1 wrote:
This is my Dad, on the occasion of his last ever visit to Arsenal's home ground. From being a regular visitor to Highbury in the 40s and 50s during his RAF service, to frequent trips with me in the 70s and 80s from our home in Shrewsbury, he enjoyed all his trips and was an avid viewer on tv, and some might say an obsessive collector of newspaper articles which are held in scrap books dotted around the house. Thanks to him, I am and shall forever be, a fan of The Arsenal.
The picture was taken on 24th September 2011, when Dad was 86 years old. The result was Arsenal 3 - Bolton 0. Van Persie scored his 99th and 100th goals for the club, and also got involved in an altercation with a Bolton player (forget who). During that altercation, the whole ground got on their feet to chant "Arsenal, Arsenal, Arsenal", and Dad joined in with gusto. I'll never forget that.
On November 11th, Remembrance Day, Dad passed away peacefully in hospital with my sister holding his hand. As a WW2 veteran he chose the day of his passing well.
Watching Arsenal without his running commentary just won't be the same. I'm going to miss him greatly.

Condolensces John .... My father was quite distant so his passing was though sad a more ho hum affair ......... you were by contrast close ; so rejoice in the fact you have a treasure trove of great memories .

At 96 he had a damn good "innings "

Post #537685  Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:07 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Theres no obvious omission from our starting 11 that fixes defeats like that right now. You can only moan about the manager so much. It’s not like messi is being ignored on the bench.

It is what it is and the fans that go week in week out largely understand our predicament and the ones that don’t moan about substitutions and nonsense. It’s quite hard to listen to but the divs and weirdos on the internet need to understand we ain’t sacking our manager right now if he’s in 5th position. We just don’t have enough options in the squad to change things.

So, if you aren't one of the 60,000 fans who go to games each week you can't understand the game or voice an opinion. What an absolute load of snobbish arrogant misguided bollocks.

There's millions of Arsenal fans around the world, many of whom who have forgotten more about the game than some of the wealthy newbies who have replaced the working class fans actually know.

Nobody is saying that making substitutions would have won us the game or even nicked a draw, but what they are saying is that when you are 2-0 down and your forward line is misfiring badly then anything is worth a go. Pépé and Martinelli are basically being frozen out leaving us with zero attacking options off the bench bar Nketiah who is leaving in the summer or sooner anyway.

Aubameyang and Pépé go to AFCON for at least a month in Jan. What the *%^@ happens then? Throw Martinelli in even though you've barely given him any minutes and his confidence and match fitness is absolutely drained. Doesn't sound like much of a plan.

Post #537686  Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:20 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

You must have a problem with your education. Did I say anything about the starting line up. When we were overwhelmed he simply had no plan B. The same happened against Leicester. We had a great start and then we’re overwhelmed but our defence held firm. Change formation, move players around : swap Saka and SR or bring on Pépé. His persistence with Aubameyang in games like this is a real problem. As I said I will give him to the half way part of the season, but I know they will keep him on and from this position nothing less than a Europa place is good enough. Did you read the bit that says let’s see how we react from this. That’s when we will know if we are making the progress required.

Post #537687  Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:22 pm 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

So, if you aren't one of the 60,000 fans who go to games each week you can't understand the game or voice an opinion. What an absolute load of snobbish arrogant misguided bollocks.

Unfortunately true though, freaks on the internet and their weird views don’t reflect those of fans where I sit in my block or generally in the match going fanbase so their weird views carry no relevance at all as far as I’m concerned. Few think like this and there is actually a lot of goodwill towards this young team and manager inside the emirates so basically you can get *%^@** !

As for martinelli I live in hope but he rarely does anything when he’s on the pitch anyway so why does it matter to bring him on when we are getting our a****** podgered without lube!!!

I mean *%^@*** hell you have to pick your best players and Lacazette will have to fill in or something in January but frankly there’s nothing more pathetic right now than weirdos on the internet blaming our defeats on martinelli not starting or coming on it’s a *%^@*** pathetic joke.

Post #537688  Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:25 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

You must have a problem with your education. Did I say anything about the starting line up. When we were overwhelmed he simply had no plan B. The same happened against Leicester. We had a great start and then we’re overwhelmed but our defence held firm. Change formation, move players around : swap Saka and SR or bring on Pépé. His persistence with Aubameyang in games like this is a real problem. As I said I will give him to the half way part of the season, but I know they will keep him on and from this position nothing less than a Europa place is good enough. Did you read the bit that says let’s see how we react from this. That’s when we will know if we are making the progress required.

Like I said if you have no other options in the squad how can you change it. You didn’t read the post properly.

… oh and don’t say bringing on Pépé changes things it would do *%^@ all and we both know that. Our best 11 lost

Post #537689  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:57 am 

There is no way to sugar coat sh*t and pass it off as anything else. Same about a 4-0 loss, unless you are San Marino playing at France (or England). That said, as bad as a 4-0 loss is, it wasn't a game where I could say we didn't seem to show up or gave up.

At the risk of making excuses, Salah is the best player in the world at the moment in most people's opinion. The quality throughout that side is of the highest order and when they are up for it, at home, there aren't too many sides that will come there and get anything out of the game.

Fact is, both sides are at totally different levels. Liverpool is getting back to its old form from a couple years ago and we are still in building mode. We have moved up a level since the start of this year. Since last year truth be told as well. But we are still a work in progress and these are reminders the road is long and will be bumpy.

A coach said once that when you play against a side that is much farther above you in quality, you play your smartest players because any mistakes will get punished and if you are going to get something out of the game you have to have an almost perfect game without mistakes. And whomever has the ball the most has to be the smartest player over the most skillful. In football, the players in the middle of the pitch who the ball goes through (in basketball the point guard is that player for example of another sport).

My guess (or hope) is we'll see a much different game on the return match. I also won't be convinced we have turned the corner until we put a whole season together...hmm..no two seasons, so its not a one off.

Sidenote, Chelsea are looking stronger than I have seen them for ages.

Post #537690  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:59 am 

Paddy is doing a great job at Palace. 'Only' 2 losses. Drawing too many games but he's not losing. Gotta learn how to put games away.

Post #537691  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:36 am 

john1 wrote:
This is my Dad, on the occasion of his last ever visit to Arsenal's home ground. From being a regular visitor to Highbury in the 40s and 50s during his RAF service, to frequent trips with me in the 70s and 80s from our home in Shrewsbury, he enjoyed all his trips and was an avid viewer on tv, and some might say an obsessive collector of newspaper articles which are held in scrap books dotted around the house. Thanks to him, I am and shall forever be, a fan of The Arsenal.
The picture was taken on 24th September 2011, when Dad was 86 years old. The result was Arsenal 3 - Bolton 0. Van Persie scored his 99th and 100th goals for the club, and also got involved in an altercation with a Bolton player (forget who). During that altercation, the whole ground got on their feet to chant "Arsenal, Arsenal, Arsenal", and Dad joined in with gusto. I'll never forget that.
On November 11th, Remembrance Day, Dad passed away peacefully in hospital with my sister holding his hand. As a WW2 veteran he chose the day of his passing well.
Watching Arsenal without his running commentary just won't be the same. I'm going to miss him greatly.

John my deepest condolences to you and your family at your sad loss.
Your dad sounds like a top guy and it's great you had a great relationship.
It's the same with my Dad and I.
He passed away in 2010 and we were extremely close.
He loved The Arsenal and my love of Arsenal was from him. One of my proudest moments was taking Dad to a couple of matches at the Emirates during his regular visits from Ghana.
We have to treasure our moments with Our Fathers.
Take care John.

Post #537692  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:42 am 

The Man Utd game will be a better test than the Liverpool game. Liverpool, Chelsea are on another stratosphere it seems right now.

Post #537693  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:55 am 

I cannot believe that had we won yesterday we would have gone above Liverpool
How often has that possible outcome presented itself recently.
Definitely a sign of progress but we were schooled yesterday in the 2nd half. We did well in the first half and looked quite comfortable holding them but we looked toothless up front.
Saka wasnt his usual self and didn't really attack their defence as he is easily capable of doing. Smith Rowe was anonymous but we have to cut these 2 some slack as they have largely been brilliant this season.
Bit surely if not clicking up front then change it no?
One thing Pépé and Martinelli will give you is a bit of pace, trickery and direct running at defences.
If current attacking set up is not working then change it up and give your opponents something different to think about.
Anyway it's done let's move on and make sure we beat Newcastle next week.
Great west ham and utd lost.
Liverpool will do that to many teams.
Salah is just such a slippery **** and Mané doesn't let up and is a sly git as well.
They are hell to play against when in this mood.
Ramsdale was brilliant again.
Could have been 6 or 7.

Post #537694  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:04 am 

Bored wrote:
The type of defeat which might halt our recent momentum. We look lightweight going forward

I disagree. Was it the season we lost 6-2 or was it 8-2 to United that we went on and won the league, or was I dreaming?

This will put people's feet back on the ground. Make us play better. Liverpool always pull a brilliant game out of the bag against us there aren't many teams that would have not lost to them in this form, they were awesome much as I hate to say it.

Everyone knows our problem now is up front. I believe most want Aubameyang and Lacazette moved on as soon as possible and a new front 2 bought or brought on. For me it would be Balogun and Nketiah week in week out till they click then *%^@ me we'll be so proud of OUR team.

Partey is a problem methinks is it fitness or not quite what we need, We have the attacking options now we need a Kante or a Bissouma to shut things down and win games for us.

Post #537695  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:25 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
john1 wrote:

I am sorry for your loss. But it is wonderful that he lived such a great life and indeed picked his time to pass. He gave you Arsenal and a shared interest which is great.

Thanks Gaz

Post #537696  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:25 am 

socrates wrote:
john1 wrote:

Hi John,

Really sorry to hear your very sad news. He lived a long life, which is a small crumb of comfort at this difficult time.

My sincere condolences......Soc

Thanks Soc

Post #537697  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:26 am 

Bored wrote:
john1 wrote:

I'm really sorry to hear of your loss John. I liked the memory of him standing up getting involved during the Bolton match.

Cheers Bored

Post #537698  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:26 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Condolences John. Best wishes to you and your family.

Thanks Brom

Post #537699  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:27 am 

Bernard wrote:
john1 wrote:

Sincere condolences john1. Sorry to hear of your loss. If he was 86 in 2011 he must have been 96 or perhaps even 97 if his birthday was between 24th September and 11th November. So at least he had a really good innings. Many sympathies.

Thanks Bernard

Post #537700  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:28 am 

gooner7 wrote:
john1 wrote:

Condolences John

Thanks gooner7

Post #537701  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:31 am 

kiwipete wrote:
john1 wrote:

Condolensces John .... My father was quite distant so his passing was though sad a more ho hum affair ......... you were by contrast close ; so rejoice in the fact you have a treasure trove of great memories .

At 96 he had a damn good "innings "

Thanks Pete

Post #537702  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:32 am 

david.d wrote:
john1 wrote:

John my deepest condolences to you and your family at your sad loss.
Your dad sounds like a top guy and it's great you had a great relationship.
It's the same with my Dad and I.
He passed away in 2010 and we were extremely close.
He loved The Arsenal and my love of Arsenal was from him. One of my proudest moments was taking Dad to a couple of matches at the Emirates during his regular visits from Ghana.
We have to treasure our moments with Our Fathers.
Take care John.

Thanks David

Post #537703  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:59 am 

From now until Christmas: Newcastle, Man U (a), Everton(a), Southampton, Westham and Leeds (a). 12 points as a minimum I would think.

Post #537704  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:05 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Bored wrote:
The type of defeat which might halt our recent momentum. We look lightweight going forward

I disagree. Was it the season we lost 6-2 or was it 8-2 to United that we went on and won the league, or was I dreaming?

This will put people's feet back on the ground. Make us play better. Liverpool always pull a brilliant game out of the bag against us there aren't many teams that would have not lost to them in this form, they were awesome much as I hate to say it.

Everyone knows our problem now is up front. I believe most want Aubameyang and Lacazette moved on as soon as possible and a new front 2 bought or brought on. For me it would be Balogun and Nketiah week in week out till they click then *%^@ me we'll be so proud of OUR team.

Partey is a problem methinks is it fitness or not quite what we need, We have the attacking options now we need a Kante or a Bissouma to shut things down and win games for us.

I think our main problem yesterday was in midfield. An unfit partey and lokonga just totally out of his depth like a rabbit caught in headlights. We just didn’t show enough gumption and bravery on the ball in this part of the pitch. Technically as we know we could do with some more passing ability here as well.

You are right a new striker is required that provides some new options but generally a valid and true post from you here.

We all know a bit more surgery is required and if you can get Lacazette, nketiah and elneny off the wage bill your saving best part of 300k a week for the new players we need

Post #537705  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:30 am 

John, My deepest sympathies to you and your family. Take care of yourself.

Post #537706  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:59 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
From now until Christmas: Newcastle, Man U (a), Everton(a), Southampton, Westham and Leeds (a). 12 points as a minimum I would think.

Believe Arteta & team will look at Pool defeat as a learning step. Critically important to learn from this defeat. The carelessness of our play needs to be addressed.
Thought we had a good first half. Even after the goal, we were still playing positively.

I trust this team, collectively, has a stronger stomach, so I am going full optimism with the next few games.
Newcastle - W
MU - W (believe we can go for the jugular here)
Everton - D
Southampton - W
WH - D
Leeds - W
14 points

Post #537707  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:01 am 

Strange that Klopp was so adamant there was no foul in the Mané challenge on Tomiyasu that sparked the touchline argument. I thought it was a clear foul as Mané led with the arm in to the face and could have easily been a yellow.

Post #537708  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:03 am 

Rich wrote:
Strange that Klopp was so adamant there was no foul in the Mané challenge on Tomiyasu that sparked the touchline argument. I thought it was a clear foul as Mané led with the arm in to the face and could have easily been a yellow.

All managers wear that specially tinted glass.
His reaction is to be expected.
Arteta would have done the same if it was the other way round.

Post #537709  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:03 am 

The frustrating thing from yesterday is we found ourselves 2-0 down to a set piece and an awful mistake to gift a goal. Up until then we restricted Liverpool to very few chances. Of course we offered virtually nothing in attack but that didn’t feel like we deserved a 4-0 loss, Liverpool were very clinical in the end.

Post #537710  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:04 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Rich wrote:

Yeah I didn’t expect Klopp to agree that it should have been a yellow but I would have thought a more rational view would have been to say something like ‘you can’t give yellows for every foul’ rather than claim there was no foul at all. The ref did give the foul if I’m right?

Post #537711  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:05 am 

Rich wrote:
The frustrating thing from yesterday is we found ourselves 2-0 down to a set piece and an awful mistake to gift a goal. Up until then we restricted Liverpool to very few chances. Of course we offered virtually nothing in attack but that didn’t feel like we deserved a 4-0 loss, Liverpool were very clinical in the end.

The way I saw it, Ramsdale kept it at 0-0 for a long time. We could have been 2 or 3 down even before their first goal.
They were passing through us too easily.

Post #537712  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:05 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Believe Arteta & team will look at Pool defeat as a learning step. Critically important to learn from this defeat. The carelessness of our play needs to be addressed.
Thought we had a good first half. Even after the goal, we were still playing positively.

I trust this team, collectively, has a stronger stomach, so I am going full optimism with the next few games.
Newcastle - W
Everton - D
Southampton - W
WH - D
Leeds - W
14 points

Would largely agree but anything can happen on a trip to old Trafford. They could also have a new manager onboard at that point. If we can get that points haul from those games we will be in the reckoning for European spots

Post #537713  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:05 am 

Rich wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Yeah I didn’t expect Klopp to agree that it should have been a yellow but I would have thought a more rational view would have been to say something like ‘you can’t give yellows for every foul’ rather than claim there was no foul at all. The ref did give the foul if I’m right?

I think foul was given

Post #537714  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:08 am 

I went to the match yesterday, sat in the main stand with the Liverpool fans. First time at Anfield, the ‘famous atmosphere’ is a bit of a myth. It was quiet until they scored their first and the only singing came from the Kop, it certainly wasn’t the cauldron that many pundits wax lyrical over.

This Liverpool team has been together for 3-4 years now, virtually unchanged. Our team has been together for 10 games.

Post #537715  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:08 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Newcastle - W
Everton - D
Southampton - W
WH - D
Leeds - W
14 points

Would largely agree but anything can happen on a trip to old Trafford. They could also have a new manager onboard at that point. If we can get that points haul from those games we will be in the reckoning for European spots

Totally agree about anything from our trip to OT
I'm being overly optimistic in my prediction
Somehow I see this team as one capable to bounce back strongly, as a Team!
How wonderful if we won via a Aubameyang converted penalty at OT

Post #537716  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:10 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Newcastle - W
Everton - D
Southampton - W
WH - D
Leeds - W
14 points

I’d snap your hand off for that set of results. I think we’d be top 4 if we collected 14 points from the next 6

Post #537717  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:16 am 

Rich wrote:
I went to the match yesterday, sat in the main stand with the Liverpool fans. First time at Anfield, the ‘famous atmosphere’ is a bit of a myth. It was quiet until they scored their first and the only singing came from the Kop, it certainly wasn’t the cauldron that many pundits wax lyrical over.

This Liverpool team has been together for 3-4 years now, virtually unchanged. Our team has been together for 10 games.

Final sentence is key here.

Post #537718  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:35 am 

Shame. Solskjaer confirmed as gone. I was rather hoping that he would still be there when we play them.

Post #537719  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:22 pm 

dec wrote:
John, My deepest sympathies to you and your family. Take care of yourself.

Thanks dec

Post #537720  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:56 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Getting a better striker is priority. Aubameyang is past it.
If not for Ramsdale, we could have lost 7 or 8 nil. Pool cut through our midfield too easily. And our defensive shape was easily breached. The coaching team should use this game as a key learning video. No doubt Lokonga and Tavares aided too many of their attacks too.

Ode is still too lightweight to be our creative mid. Not someone I would want to depend on.

Ah well, not the end of the world for us. I think we can still aim for 4th.

Gidday G7 ..... it a collective thing not a question of Ødegaard too lightweight Aubameyang passed his best , swap both of them into a Liverpool shirt and they'd have performed well .

We need to function as a team , everybody playing their role .
When you display as many weaknesses / basic errors as we did today the introduction of Messi , Ronaldo in their prime wouldn't have made any difference .
Liverpool's play today is a model we should aspire to .
The spat between Arteta and Klopp seemed to galvanise them into action we were quite comfortable up to that point . :laughing7:

I think you’ve made some good points there kiwi. I was surprised by gooner7’s description of Ødegaard as too lightweight. I actually felt he did well after coming on and did enough to count as one of our better players on the day.

I always think there’s a tendency in some fans to overreact to bad defeats, or indeed any defeats - even narrow ones. gooner7 is right that Tavares and Lokonga’s performances were disappointing. I think it’s guaranteed that Tierney will come back into the team for the Newcastle game. I don’t know how close Xhaka is to fitness but when he is I reckon we’ll see him back in the side too. But had Tierney and Xhaka played yesterday I still think we’d have lost, albeit 3-0 instead of 4-0 as I doubt Tierney would have given Liverpool their second goal as Tavares did.

Yesterday’s result does not make us a poor team. All it showed is that currently Liverpool are way ahead of us. But we all knew that anyway.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13440, 13441, 13442, 13443, 13444, 13445, 13446 ... 14269  Next