Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 108 guests

Post #536761  Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:31 am 

Tavares is an incredible athlete.

I think he is still growing into his body but the talent is there and he could be some player in a year or two.

Post #536762  Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:34 am 

It's a sight to behold when Lokonga strides through the midfield with the ball at his feet. He's young and still learning the game but the tools are there and he's a very exciting prospect.

Post #536763  Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:37 am 

I like the White/Gabriel partnership. Both are quick and athletic and good on the ball. Gabi is a bit more powerful whilst White has that great ability to bring the ball out from the back. It's a nice combination.

Post #536764  Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:47 am 

Honestly think back to the furore when we signed white and Ramsdale. Totally ridiculous

Can anyone question those signings now. very very shrewd buys

Ramsdale can pass the ball better than Xhaka and AMN.

Look at this

https://twitter.com/sxmafc/status/14516 ... 22667?s=21

Post #536765  Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:49 am 

And this one

https://twitter.com/bristiancurgess/sta ... 33508?s=21

Post #536766  Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:13 am 

Rich wrote:
Without wanting to pour cold water on that performance we need to be prepared that we could put in a couple of stodgy and slow performances next up. The good feeling from last night is similar to how we felt after the Spurs game then we played Brighton and Palace.
Leicester up next, a draw wouldn’t be a bad result to keep the unbeaten run going, and Leicester away needs to be considered as tough as Spurs or Man U away. If we back it up by beating Watford at home I’d be satisfied with 4 points.

I think you’ve made more than an important point in that post Rich. It is vital the point you make. I think there’s a tendency to react both too positively and over negatively to individual performances, by which I mean single games by the team and players. It definitely happens here, and probably even more so on other Arsenal chat rooms.

Last night’s game doesn’t make us world beaters. Nor do both the games against Aston Villa and Tottenham. Just as the performance last Monday doesn’t make us a bad outfit, like the displays against both Crystal Palace and Brighton make us poor.

I think I’ve mentioned before we’re into fine dining. A similar analogy is to say that a restaurant doesn’t get a Michelin Star for one brilliant meal served up to a single anonymous Michelin judge. Their referees do reports on their own visit, but to get a Michelin Star other assessors go back to the place and make their own views known on the place. In short, a restaurant has to provide excellent meals time and time again to different Michelin evaluators before it gets, or indeed loses for ordinary food, a Star.

I’ve said before that in my opinion Arsenal has a good enough squad to get a Europa League place, if not walk into it. As the squad stands we have Ramsdale and Leno as keepers; Tomiyasu and either AMN or Cédric as right backs; Tierney, Tavares and Kolasinac as left backs; White, Gabriel, Mari, Holding and Chambers as central defenders; Partey, Xhaka, Lokonga, AMN and Elneny as deeper midfielders; Saka, Smith Rowe and Ødegaard as attacking midfielders; then Aubameyang, Lacazette, Pépé, Martinelli, Balogun and Nketiah as forwards.

I expect us to get into the Europa League with that mob. If Arteta can’t get us high enough to achieve that, I reckon it should reflect badly on him. If we get a top four place, even if it’s via Manchester United doing poorly, it will reflect outstandingly well on him.

Post #536767  Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:24 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Honestly think back to the furore when we signed white and Ramsdale. Totally ridiculous

Look at this

Surprised you decided to mention Xhaka there, who has many times shown himself to be a fine passer of the ball. Well, maybe I’m not surprised.

Post #536768  Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:40 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
Without wanting to pour cold water on that performance we need to be prepared that we could put in a couple of stodgy and slow performances next up. The good feeling from last night is similar to how we felt after the Spurs game then we played Brighton and Palace.
Leicester up next, a draw wouldn’t be a bad result to keep the unbeaten run going, and Leicester away needs to be considered as tough as Spurs or Man U away. If we back it up by beating Watford at home I’d be satisfied with 4 points.

I think you’ve made more than an important point in that post Rich. It is vital the point you make. I think there’s a tendency to react both too positively and over negatively to individual performances, by which I mean single games by the team and players. It definitely happens here, and probably even more so on other Arsenal chat rooms.

Last night’s game doesn’t make us world beaters. Nor do both the games against Aston Villa and Tottenham. Just as the performance last Monday doesn’t make us a bad outfit, like the displays against both Crystal Palace and Brighton make us poor.

I think I’ve mentioned before we’re into fine dining. A similar analogy is to say that a restaurant doesn’t get a Michelin Star for one brilliant meal served up to a single anonymous Michelin judge. Their referees do reports on their own visit, but to get a Michelin Star other assessors go back to the place and make their own views known on the place. In short, a restaurant has to provide excellent meals time and time again to different Michelin evaluators before it gets, or indeed loses for ordinary food, a Star.

I’ve said before that in my opinion Arsenal has a good enough squad to get a Europa League place, if not walk into it. As the squad stands we have Ramsdale and Leno as keepers; Tomiyasu and either AMN or Cédric as right backs; Tierney, Tavares and Kolasinac as left backs; White, Gabriel, Mari, Holding and Chambers as central defenders; Partey, Xhaka, Lokonga, AMN and Elneny as deeper midfielders; Saka, Smith Rowe and Ødegaard as attacking midfielders; then Aubameyang, Lacazette, Pépé, Martinelli, Balogun and Nketiah as forwards.

I expect us to get into the Europa League with that mob. If Arteta can’t get us high enough to achieve that, I reckon it should reflect badly on him. If we get a top four place, even if it’s via Manchester United doing poorly, it will reflect outstandingly well on him.

This is a decent summary really. If you don’t finish in the top 7 places with that squad I think you have to ask questions especially with no week games in europe.

The observation you made is correct, this is a young side and will win convincingly then follow it up with something underwhelming because of its inexperience. Our fans will likely veer from one extreme to another when critiquing the outcomes.

Post #536769  Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:41 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Look at this

Surprised you decided to mention Xhaka there, who has many times shown himself to be a fine passer of the ball. Well, maybe I’m not surprised.

He is a pile of *%^@ ,

Has one pass in his locker that 25 yard pass with his instep sideways to his fullback. He is the architect of the horseshoe of frustration

Post #536770  Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:15 am 

I actually forgot to take my season ticket last night for the first time since I’ve had use of one which was the 1968/69 season. Okay I was barely at primary school then so it was my dad who took them (his and mine). I can’t recall the season when I started taking responsibility for taking it. My dad died in October 1975 when I was at secondary school so it was presumably after that.

For the first time since moving grounds they gave out new season ticket cards for this season. They advised people to throw away their old one. The new and old one were in similar looking card holders, and I don’t have it on my phone like some. Anyway I didn’t throw the old one away and picked up the wrong card holder on my way out the house. I only realised when I tried to get in at the stadium.

So I had to go to the box office next to the Armoury Store where they, after giving them my membership number and providing ID that I was who I claimed to be, printed a paper ticket for my seat. I’ll be checking I picked up the right card holder in future.

Post #536771  Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:02 pm 

Bernard wrote:
I actually forgot to take my season ticket last night for the first time since I’ve had use of one which was the 1968/69 season. Okay I was barely at primary school then so it was my dad who took them (his and mine). I can’t recall the season when I started taking responsibility for taking it. My dad died in October 1975 when I was at secondary school so it was presumably after that.

For the first time since moving grounds they gave out new season ticket cards for this season. They advised people to throw away their old one. The new and old one were in similar looking card holders, and I don’t have it on my phone like some. Anyway I didn’t throw the old one away and picked up the wrong card holder on my way out the house. I only realised when I tried to get in at the stadium.

So I had to go to the box office next to the Armoury Store where they, after giving them my membership number and providing ID that I was who I claimed to be, printed a paper ticket for my seat. I’ll be checking I picked up the right card holder in future.

Thought I lost mine after I got in the ground found it tucked in a tenner. Had a panic

Seperate subject

I sampled one of the “pies” we sell at the ground and had a Camden hells as I went without dinner yesterday. *%^@*** dreadful inedible and undrinkable filth. How hard is it to get decent grub and beer on sale seriously.

Post #536772  Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:33 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

I would take a slightly more optimistic perspective.

I would say that our 'mob' is actually rather promising. We basically have a new team, with, as your list suggests, no major weaknesses. It is really down to luck with injuries, and the manager and coaching staff. And it is going to take time. We are going to have games like the Palace one, but, on this season's evidence, with decreasing frequency as the team gradually finds an identity and style.

So, in conclusion, I would be disappointed if we finished lower than 5th this season. Breaking into the top 4 remains unlikely (your points about people's opinions being up and down applies to United too--my own view is that they are still pretty formidable.)

Post #536773  Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:40 pm 

It may be too early for some to say, but for me, Chelsea are back. Sadly.

Post #536774  Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:42 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Thought I lost mine after I got in the ground found it tucked in a tenner. Had a panic

Seperate subject

I sampled one of the “pies” we sell at the ground and had a Camden hells as I went without dinner yesterday. *%^@*** dreadful inedible and undrinkable filth. How hard is it to get decent grub and beer on sale seriously.

Oddly, one can get excellent pies at any number of places in this neck of the woods. It really is a feature of the place, along with the pot-holes, endemic inequality, and abundant wild-life.

On the other hand, our local butchers, even the ones who are magicians with boerewors, are clueless at pork sausages.

Post #536775  Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:48 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
It may be too early for some to say, but for me, Chelsea are back. Sadly.

Given that they are the current Champions of Europe one might even venture to say that it is not too early to float that view.

Post #536776  Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:31 pm 

https://twitter.com/coyg_ars/status/145 ... 59042?s=21
Here’s Ben White’s barnstorming 70 yard run

Post #536777  Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:37 pm 

Not sure if anyone noticed yesterday Tomiyasu and we were boxed in the right back area and Toni just pinged a 60 yard cross field ball with his left foot to Tavares. Tavares himself did something similar off his right foot and he’s already shown his willingness and ability shooting with his right.

Post #536778  Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:06 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Look at this

I like Ramsdale for the following reasons:
takes command of the 6 yard area
comes out to claim the high balls
good ball distribution
fast ball distribution
creates camaraderie with his defenders

Post #536779  Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:08 pm 

Rich wrote:
Not sure if anyone noticed yesterday Tomiyasu and we were boxed in the right back area and Toni just pinged a 60 yard cross field ball with his left foot to Tavares. Tavares himself did something similar off his right foot and he’s already shown his willingness and ability shooting with his right.

Yup, sure did notice that. Tomiyasu did not shy away from anything yesterday. I like his one-touch football when it was needed.

Post #536780  Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:09 pm 

Rich wrote:
https://twitter.com/coyg_ars/status/1451712079308759042?s=21
Here’s Ben White’s barnstorming 70 yard run

:53big-emoticons:
I was applauding him when he did that. We needed more of such plays.

Post #536781  Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:10 pm 

A good set of results for us this afternoon. We kept our place in the table.

Post #536782  Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:46 pm 

I’m perplexed once again. Chelsea got to retake a saved penalty because the keeper moved off the line. All perfectly reasonable and captured by the cameras and duly enforced.

What puzzles me is the assistant referee (once known as a linesman) who stands close to the goal watching the line like a hawk but who then bounces away seemingly entirely happy with it. He’s only got one single thing to do and he misses it. Or is it that he relies on VAR, as is the case with offsides now? In which case what is the point of him?

Post #536783  Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:19 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
I’m perplexed once again. Chelsea got to retake a saved penalty because the keeper moved off the line. All perfectly reasonable and captured by the cameras and duly enforced.

What puzzles me is the assistant referee (once known as a linesman) who stands close to the goal watching the line like a hawk but who then bounces away seemingly entirely happy with it. He’s only got one single thing to do and he misses it. Or is it that he relies on VAR, as is the case with offsides now? In which case what is the point of him?

Even before VAR they seemed to often bottle this one.

It would make sense if that was left entirely to the technology, like whether the ball has crossed the line for a goal. It doesn't need to be a judgement call at all. Similarly, whether players of either team have encroached into the box. Its a break of play anyway, so why not?

Post #536784  Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:20 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
A good set of results for us this afternoon. We kept our place in the table.

Watford scoring 4 late goals against Everton is a nice boost.

Post #536785  Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:40 pm 

With all the things that are bad at the moment, our inconsistent performances and general lacklustre attacking play, I have to give the club major credit once again for our recruitment this summer. Yesterday we started with five players signed in the summer and all five of them had excellent performances. Ben White is the oldest at 24. In terms of squad building it really feels like we've taken a big step forward in the last year.

Post #536786  Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:50 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
With all the things that are bad at the moment, our inconsistent performances and general lacklustre attacking play, I have to give the club major credit once again for our recruitment this summer. Yesterday we started with five players signed in the summer and all five of them had excellent performances. Ben White is the oldest at 24. In terms of squad building it really feels like we've taken a big step forward in the last year.

Possibly helped by the departure of Raúl Sanllehí?

Post #536787  Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:24 pm 

Arsenal 5th highest shots per game average in the league currently. It wasn’t long ago we were way down the league for shots per game.

Post #536788  Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:04 am 

Rich wrote:
Arsenal 5th highest shots per game average in the league currently. It wasn’t long ago we were way down the league for shots per game.

Yet many moan about our lacklustre attacking play. I guess a shot counts even if it’s yards off target.

Post #536789  Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:41 am 

Wow, Chelsea is on a tear now. Tuchel has done wonders with this team.

Post #536790  Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:55 am 

Well done the Palace fans for that banner v. Newcastle. Nearly puked when I saw Beckham 'promoting tourism and culture' in Qatar for a load of cash. Guy must have fallen on hard times

Post #536791  Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:13 am 

rotterdamnation wrote:
Well done the Palace fans for that banner v. Newcastle. Nearly puked when I saw Beckham 'promoting tourism and culture' in Qatar for a load of cash. Guy must have fallen on hard times

The poor guy is down to his last $450 million. It appears even more hard up when you convert dollars into pounds sterling, simply because it’s a lower figure and some people may not always notice if numbers have a $ or £ at the front. $450m equates to a mere £327m. That’s verging on bankruptcy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theric ... worth/amp/

Post #536792  Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:01 am 

rotterdamnation wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me how people who have accumulated such vast wealth are still willing to compromise everything for even more money.

Wenger a prime example who is telling the world and it’s mother a World Cup every 2 years is a great idea because he’s being paid to do so. *%^@*** hell Arsene. How much money do you need ?

Look at some of the movies Bruce Willis has made recently
? Straight to video budget rubbish yet he’s worth 250 million. Did he really need to make all these turkeys he knows he doesn’t need the money.

I saw an interview with the rap singer 50 cent where he admitted he turned down 1 million dollars to simply attend Donald Trumps inauguration because he believes “not all money is good money”. I found it remarkably astute considering he’s probably self made and the temptation to take the million dollars for a days work would be tempting.

Post #536793  Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:02 am 

Pains me to utter these words but C'mon Man Utd.

Post #536794  Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:20 am 

Rich wrote:

Hi Rich,

Yeh, but most of them are from Thomas Partey and they have been closer to the moon than the opposition net :laughing7:

Post #536795  Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:34 am 

come on Brentford , Westham & Man U. Man U only to protect our unbeaten season record.

Post #536796  Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:38 am 

I’ve not seen a lot of scrutiny on £78m Sancho at Man U. No goals, no assists, no chances created. I think if he was a foreign player he’d be getting far more stick in the media.
I don’t think Ole has helped him by playing him mostly on the left when he played almost exclusively on the right for Dortmund.
Sancho’s signing (and others) are symptomatic of Man U’s recent signings, big names that they feel they ‘have’ to sign, almost easy signings but without huge consideration for the balance of the squad and team or having a clear set of tactics to suit the player

Post #536797  Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:41 am 

Leeds on Tuesday in the league cup. I think we can afford to rotate and still put out a strong team to beat them.

Post #536798  Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:27 am 

Rich wrote:
Sancho’s signing (and others) are symptomatic of Man U’s recent signings, big names that they feel they ‘have’ to sign, almost easy signings but without huge consideration for the balance of the squad and team or having a clear set of tactics to suit the player

To be fair Rich you fell into exactly the same trap when questioning Manchester United’s interest in Declan Rice. Not that long ago if my memory serves, although it wasn’t in the last few days (and I’d rather not define ‘last few days’). In my view Rice fits the current profile of what they need almost perfectly, and far better than Bellingham who I’m sure you spoke of your admiration for in the same post.

Post #536799  Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:49 am 

Rich wrote:
Leeds on Tuesday in the league cup. I think we can afford to rotate and still put out a strong team to beat them.

Fully agree Rich. If anyone named what they consider Arsenal’s strongest team, I reckon you could list a side with eleven completely different players that should be good enough to win on Tuesday.

Post #536800  Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:28 am 

Rich wrote:

I'd love to go deep into this competition. Leeds aren't pushovers.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13417, 13418, 13419, 13420, 13421, 13422, 13423 ... 14269  Next