Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 105 guests

Post #547561  Posted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:08 pm 

Maddison has quietly had a good season. Scored again tonight. 16 goals and 11 assists across all comps this season. He’s a 1 in 3 goals from midfield this season.
We were linked last year for £60-70m and went for Ødegaard for £30m. No problem with that, but there could possibly be space for both of them at the club. The price would need to come down a bit though!

Post #547562  Posted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:11 pm 

john1 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Wow never knew you were there bro

Btw great city for a night out…. Not sure about living :laughing7: just joking

Scousers get tons of respect from me btw. I know you aren’t one but I do enjoy their disdain for establishment

Also I’m ashamed to say scouse the food is *%^@*** delicious. Come at me freaks, try it and tell me I’m wrong

You're not wrong about Scouse the food - it's great. (As long as it's made with lamb and not beef as some heathens claim). Btw, it's actually a Welsh recipe (although the Vikings a la Hazuki make some random claim to it as well), and Liverpool is as much (if not more) a Welsh city as an Irish one.

100 percent lamb !

Has to have the red cabbage and some crusty bread though.

Post #547563  Posted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:12 pm 

Rich wrote:
Maddison has quietly had a good season. Scored again tonight. 16 goals and 11 assists across all comps this season. He’s a 1 in 3 goals from midfield this season.
We were linked last year for £60-70m and went for Ødegaard for £30m. No problem with that, but there could possibly be space for both of them at the club. The price would need to come down a bit though!

I said it last season and was derided here. I love Ødegaard but he would have been superb

Post #547564  Posted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:13 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
john1 wrote:

You're not wrong about Scouse the food - it's great. (As long as it's made with lamb and not beef as some heathens claim). Btw, it's actually a Welsh recipe (although the Vikings a la Hazuki make some random claim to it as well), and Liverpool is as much (if not more) a Welsh city as an Irish one.

100 percent lamb !

Has to have the red cabbage and some crusty bread though.

Yes agreed. And plenty of salt.

Post #547565  Posted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:14 pm 

47 goals conceded this season. In the 10 games against the big 5 teams we conceded 25 goals. So in 27 games against the bottom 14 teams in the league we conceded 22 goals. Clear to see where the improvement is required defensively. We need to be far more resilient in those big 6 games and work out a way to get more draws from those games. Draws in big 6 games are valuable as they keep everyone close. We probably played well in just 4 of them, the 3 we won and City at home.

Post #547566  Posted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:43 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Looking more and more likely that Evertons fate may be in our hands.

Or, as it turns out, not. :12hello-bye:

That’s a heck of a comeback.

Post #547567  Posted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:44 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

That’s a heck of a comeback

It's gone crazy at the pub just down the road from me. And cars blasting their horns. You'd have thought they've just won the league!

Post #547568  Posted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:47 pm 

john1 wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

That’s a heck of a comeback

It's gone crazy at the pub just down the road from me. And cars blasting their horns. You'd have thought they've just won the league!

You can’t blame them though.

Post #547569  Posted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:48 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
john1 wrote:

No. I'm secretly pleased as I prefer the Evertonians to the red ones. (But don't tell the missus).

Post #547570  Posted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:50 pm 

I hadn't realised Dele Alli moved to Everton.

Post #547571  Posted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:54 pm 

john1 wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

No. I'm secretly pleased as I prefer the Evertonians to the red ones. (But don't tell the missus).

Me too. Delighted for Everton.

Post #547572  Posted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:20 pm 

john1 wrote:
I hadn't realised Dele Alli moved to Everton.

To be fair neither did most Everton fans.

Post #547573  Posted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:24 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

That’s a heck of a comeback.

Took the dog for the morning walk. Glad for Everton.

Post #547574  Posted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:30 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Seasons over so my end of season forum awards

Interesting Footballing poster of the year: Rich

Most missed poster : 1) mee by a mile 2) exiled 3) cannon :laughing7:

Dear god this blokes beyond mental award: American gooner

Proper old skool Arsenal award : DHD

I’m wrong but I won’t admit it award: 1) Bernard 2) Bernard 3) Bernard 4) Bernard 5) Bernard 6) Bernard

Were a bit neurotic but believe in the cause probably because we’re scarred by our Arsenal past1) Top Gun 2) Darren 3) TopGun 4) Top Gun 5) Top Gun

My posts are driven by anger award 1) Socrates 2) Top gun 3) Socrates 4) Top Gun 5) Socrates 6) Top Gun

The I rarely post but when I do I nail it award 1) Pompey 2) Andy green

Our posts are interesting and observational but it’s lost on you lot award 1) haz 2) Decaf

Like I said it’s done. Enjoy Sundays game. Have an extensive pre match lunch and drinks, don’t focus on the game. Pre match beers on me in block 133 (if I’m there in time) for those in Ireland and Australia please imagine it virtually.

Delighted to get a silver medal in a very important category. Never won an individual medal before but did get a League Winners medal with Pooles Park school in the Islington Primary School Football League….pipped St John the Evangelist and Laycock St by a point 1964/5.

Post #547575  Posted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:36 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Most missed poster : 1) mee by a mile 2) exiled 3) cannon :laughing7:

Dear god this blokes beyond mental award: American gooner

Proper old skool Arsenal award : DHD

I’m wrong but I won’t admit it award: 1) Bernard 2) Bernard 3) Bernard 4) Bernard 5) Bernard 6) Bernard

Were a bit neurotic but believe in the cause probably because we’re scarred by our Arsenal past1) Top Gun 2) Darren 3) TopGun 4) Top Gun 5) Top Gun

My posts are driven by anger award 1) Socrates 2) Top gun 3) Socrates 4) Top Gun 5) Socrates 6) Top Gun

The I rarely post but when I do I nail it award 1) Pompey 2) Andy green

Our posts are interesting and observational but it’s lost on you lot award 1) haz 2) Decaf

Like I said it’s done. Enjoy Sundays game. Have an extensive pre match lunch and drinks, don’t focus on the game. Pre match beers on me in block 133 (if I’m there in time) for those in Ireland and Australia please imagine it virtually.

Delighted to get a silver medal in a very important category. Never won an individual medal before but did get a League Winners medal with Pooles Park school in the Islington Primary School Football League….pipped St John the Evangelist and Laycock St by a point 1964/5.

This is my favourite post ever. Love it

Post #547576  Posted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:23 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:
2022-2023 Arsenal kit.

Must admit I really like the home shirt. But why would it be £100? That can’t be right.

The home kit is nice, except the collar looks odd. Saw it was £100 which is crazy. But, then may be less online depending what sports site offers it.

Post #547577  Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:49 am 

There was a report that Arsenal have put a 42 million pound fee on Gabriel. Do you think maybe we are selling him. I wonder if he has asked for a move or has a clause in his contract about when he can ask for a move.

Post #547578  Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 5:50 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Very kind but not sure it’s deserved. This must be for anything apart from posts about referees though :1laughter:

Post #547579  Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 5:51 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Perhaps the signing of Jesus is going to be more complicated than some people may have thought? The Metro says Arsenal may consider alternatives in light of City’s £55m asking price.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.u ... 73358/amp/

Cogmans law of negotiating

They start high you start low and you meet in the middle after a compromise

Of course but price negotiations surely have less relevance to City than anyone else, in this country at least. Maybe they’ve decided to sell for a price Arsenal don’t think is worth paying?

Post #547580  Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 5:56 am 

At the everton pitch invasion last night Vieira was walking across the pitch (no security) and one idiot was right in his face goading and baiting him. Eventually Vieira grabbed him and kicked out at him. I’d say the fan got away very lightly and I’d be annoyed if anything happened to Vieira. Clubs need to face serious fines for pitch invasions….I mean like millions of pounds, or games behind closed doors There is no way the stewards can hold them all back so make it a punishment the fans will think twice about

Post #547581  Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:21 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
There was a report that Arsenal have put a 42 million pound fee on Gabriel. Do you think maybe we are selling him. I wonder if he has asked for a move or has a clause in his contract about when he can ask for a move.

It’s an unreliable source but I hope the link below is something they’ve got right. Selling Gabriel seems a bit barmy to me, even if Arsenal are confident Saliba will come back and realise his potential (with the bit about him wanting to return seeming a long way from certain to me).

With the added games from being in the Europa League, Arsenal will surely require at least four central defenders. So Gabriel, White, Saliba and Holding with Tomiyasu able to fill in if there’s an emergency. Sell Gabriel and he’ll need replacing. Will we get anyone better with £42m? Highly uncertain I’d have thought. Moreover if Saliba goes as well we’ll also need to replace him.

Perhaps Stan will be willing to fund a transfer budget that not only covers a new forward or two but also a more expensive replacement for Gabriel?

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... dium=email

Post #547582  Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:24 am 

Queued of pundits lining up to lavish praise on Lampard for keeping Everton up. Everton were 15th when Lampard took over, he got no ‘new manager bounce’ took Everton further in to a genuine relegation fight and finally got them out. He essentially came in to a tough job, made it worse and scraped himself out of the mess he at least partially created. I’d hold off the praise

Post #547583  Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:49 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

I’m always willing to admit when I’m wrong. Only the other day I told Rich I’d misread one of his posts. Perhaps there’s little need for me to do it?

Is there not an award for ‘I hate letting others have the last word on a debate’? If so the winners would be 1) Top Gun 2) Top Gun 3) Top Gun 4) Top Gun 5) Top Gun 6) Top Gun.

Post #547584  Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:54 am 

Rich wrote:
Queued of pundits lining up to lavish praise on Lampard for keeping Everton up. Everton were 15th when Lampard took over, he got no ‘new manager bounce’ took Everton further in to a genuine relegation fight and finally got them out. He essentially came in to a tough job, made it worse and scraped himself out of the mess he at least partially created. I’d hold off the praise

I’ve zero affinity with them but I’m not upset that Everton survived. A fine old club who I’ve always considered way more preferable to their nearby neighbours.

I remember coming out of Goodison not that long ago. I had an Arsenal shirt on so it was obvious I was an away fan. Anyway, I dropped my phone without realising it. An Everton fan saw me drop it, picked it up and chased after me to hand it back. Others said stop walking so he could get to me without a long trek.

Post #547585  Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:54 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I’m always willing to admit when I’m wrong. Only the other day I told Rich I’d misread one of his posts. Perhaps there’s little need for me to do it?

:14laughter: :14laughter: :14laughter:

Post #547586  Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:23 am 

In the Villa Burnley match Ashley Barnes (a serial elbow offender) didn’t even get a yellow card for this. And Marty Cash did this foul throw. The consistency is awful.

The ref who decided Barnes elbow wasn’t worthy of a yellow card was the same ref (Tierney) who decided Holding’s on Son was worthy of a yellow card…..and Son’s on holding wasn’t anything.

Attachments:

Post #547587  Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:44 am 

Rich wrote:
At the everton pitch invasion last night Vieira was walking across the pitch (no security) and one idiot was right in his face goading and baiting him. Eventually Vieira grabbed him and kicked out at him. I’d say the fan got away very lightly and I’d be annoyed if anything happened to Vieira. Clubs need to face serious fines for pitch invasions….I mean like millions of pounds, or games behind closed doors There is no way the stewards can hold them all back so make it a punishment the fans will think twice about

I know where you are coming from, Rich, but did you see the end of the Forest v Sheff Utd game when Forest won the penalty shoot-out to secure a place in the play-off final? The Forest fans "invaded" the pitch and stayed there for ages celebrating. They were great scenes. Of course, old Cloughie might not have approved. Remember him punching a fan who ran onto the pitch years ago.

Post #547588  Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:35 am 

Was in the car this morning where the radio is always on TalkSPORT. Heard that Port Vale beat Swindon on penalties last night to secure a place in the League Two play off final.

I was glad. Not through any particular affinity with Port Vale but because it means Swindon won’t be promoted. I’m not ant-Swindon enough to follow their results. However, when I hear they’ve suffered a misfortune I’m routinely pleased.

To this day I’ve never forgiven them for that 1969 League Cup final defeat.

Post #547589  Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:35 am 

I was looking at some of the iconic games we had in our heyday roughly a couple decades ago and we won a few of them with players that made me raise an eyebrow. We won at Old Trafford in 2003 in the FA Cup with Edu, Jeffers upfront with Wiltord, Man Utd I think had their best XI. Yet we won 0-2.

Point is the bench players, even peripheral players stepped up. You go past the first 11, 12, on our side and we don't have players step up oftentimes. I think in some part due to our XI not having the same pressure for you to step up as the invincibles.

Its why I don't think we will do well in Europe next season and I think had we made top 4 there is a chance we may not even make it to the group stages if they still have that play off thing. I have no idea. I haven't watched a full CL match in months and months. Not bothered if we aren't in it.

Anyway, we need a bigger squad and that squad needs to be quality as best we can. Other teams may be able to cope with the same limitations as our squad in Europe and frankly I'd put that down to having a better manager and perhaps employing a better strategy perhaps.

I like Arteta and feel he deserves his new contract. May not be the popular opinion among many gooners but I am willing to give him more time and 5th is actually slightly above goals.

We don't have that esprit de corps the prior great side did. We collapsed twice in the final run. It speaks volumes to our mettle, desire and ambitions.

Post #547590  Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:38 am 

Given just how Chelsea have stalled in recent weeks it is frustrating to reflect on how we have missed an excellent opportunity to come third never mind fourth.

What ifs and maybes eh?

Post #547591  Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:53 am 

Rich wrote:

I watched more Palace games than ours the last month. I was willing Palace to do well, our games with them aside. I don't know what Palace fans think of Vieira but I will look on a forum or two. They finished roughly the same as last season. I am hoping he can improve them next season. He will likely use his legend status with us to get some loaned players instead of them going elsewhere.

As for that fan, he took his life in his hands. Vieira is no joke.

Post #547592  Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:56 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Given just how Chelsea have stalled in recent weeks it is frustrating to reflect on how we have missed an excellent opportunity to come third never mind fourth.

What ifs and maybes eh?

Very true.

Mind you, the frustrations, angst and lack of nails I have as 'the only Arsenal fan in the village' (and have been for over 50 years), make the good times all the better.

From the disappointment of Dad telling me Swindon had won (a la Bernard) when I was still very little, through the high of the first Double, Alan, Alan Sunderland, the worries of the late 70s early 80s, Anfield in May 89, (when the final whistle went and I celebrated madly with a new born asleep upstairs and the reaction I got was the moment when I knew my marriage was over, but that's another story and not for this forum), George's defence (oh how I loved that defence), Wenger's transformation (he will forever be a hero to me), Vieira, Petit, Overmars, Henry, and the greatest ever, Dennis. And so many, many more.

This current period has its ups and downs too of course, but at least it's keeping things interesting.

One thing I have noticed (and maybe Rog can confirm or deny), is that contributions here are on the up recently. Is that a positive indicator? I think so.

Anyway, enough of my rambling.

:58big-emoticons:

Post #547593  Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:59 am 

Could that incident make you love Patrick Vieira even more. :laughing7:

Blokes an unstoppable footballing force.

Post #547594  Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 9:14 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

I think he was restrained all things considered. He should have proper belted him. Man, social media is encouraging society to be arseholes for likes and hits. Why are people such stupid *%^@? I remember years ago seeing a pub sign that simply said “Stop making stupid people famous”. I think about that often. Reality TV and the internet has driven down the collective societal intellect. We now have the society and politicians we deserve.

Post #547595  Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 9:18 am 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I think he was restrained all things considered. He should have proper belted him. Man, social media is encouraging society to be arseholes for likes and hits. Why are people such stupid *%^@? I remember years ago seeing a pub sign that simply said “Stop making stupid people famous”. I think about that often. Reality TV and the internet has driven down the collective societal intellect. We now have the society and politicians we deserve.

He should have belted him and the outrage is pathetic. Palace should issue a statement supporting him. There should be no apology

That blokes a formidable born winner. I love him

You are right about our societal problems. Government sets the tone and needs to be an example. You had people in government joking about rapists this week. It can’t be chaos

Post #547596  Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 9:22 am 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Nail hit firmly on head.

Post #547597  Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:44 pm 

Darren wrote:

I notice something in the states. There is an unsaid, nervous vibe to an social interaction. Why? People are very, very scared/worried, whatever you want to call it of going viral for anything. If you have any negative ineraction in public. Even if its justified. A guy cuts you off on the road. Your hotel resernation isn't in the system and you just flew in to the Holiday Inn in Phoenix, whatever.

You avoid being that guy or gal that goes viral and in a strange way it checks people. It makes people a wee bit more polite.

Anyway, the Everton vs Palace game had 2 iconic midfielders who were big rivals as well and that added to it a wee bit. I am sure they both respect each other immensely given our battles.

Post #547598  Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:36 pm 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I think he was restrained all things considered. He should have proper belted him. .

That would have been immensely satisfying.

Post #547599  Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:48 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Darren wrote:

I notice something in the states. There is an unsaid, nervous vibe to an social interaction. Why? People are very, very scared/worried, whatever you want to call it of going viral for anything. If you have any negative ineraction in public. Even if its justified. A guy cuts you off on the road. Your hotel resernation isn't in the system and you just flew in to the Holiday Inn in Phoenix, whatever.

You avoid being that guy or gal that goes viral and in a strange way it checks people. It makes people a wee bit more polite.

Doesn't seem to work on the Trumpers though, does it?

Post #547600  Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:51 pm 

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2022/05/1 ... -transfer/

Anyone seen this guy play? I knew he was sought after as he's young and on a free transfer but I've not seen him play

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13687, 13688, 13689, 13690, 13691, 13692, 13693 ... 14269  Next