Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], gooner7, warrior and 133 guests

Post #555241  Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:56 pm 

Slow day at work as I'm waiting for IT to take care of some things...so I had a look at the World Cup squads to see what players from which teams are likely to start for their nations, and I have to say Arsenal look in decent shape.

We have ten players going, and from those I count four as unlikely to start (Jesus, Martinelli, White, Ramsdale). Four seem nailed on (Xhaka, Partey, Turner, Tomiyasu) and two more who are likely to start or at least feature heavily (Saka, Saliba).

In contrast, I figure Man City have six in the nailed on category (De Bruyne, Dias, Cancelo, Bernardo Silva, Akanji, Ake) with another five likely (Stones, Foden, Laporte, Rodri, Gundogan). That leaves Grealish, Ederson, Alvarez, Phillips and Walker.

The schedule will be quite hectic when the season re-starts, so not having as many players feature heavily at the World Cup might be a slight edge. Man City have both Chelsea and Man Utd away in January, and they'd probably want their best players in good shape there.

Post #555242  Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:15 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Slow day at work as I'm waiting for IT to take care of some things...so I had a look at the World Cup squads to see what players from which teams are likely to start for their nations, and I have to say Arsenal look in decent shape.

We have ten players going, and from those I count four as unlikely to start (Jesus, Martinelli, White, Ramsdale). Four seem nailed on (Xhaka, Partey, Turner, Tomiyasu) and two more who are likely to start or at least feature heavily (Saka, Saliba).

In contrast, I figure Man City have six in the nailed on category (De Bruyne, Dias, Cancelo, Bernardo Silva, Akanji, Ake) with another five likely (Stones, Foden, Laporte, Rodri, Gundogan). That leaves Grealish, Ederson, Alvarez, Phillips and Walker.

The schedule will be quite hectic when the season re-starts, so not having as many players feature heavily at the World Cup might be a slight edge. Man City have both Chelsea and Man Utd away in January, and they'd probably want their best players in good shape there.

And none of our nailed on starters are in teams likely to go very far. Saliba looks like he'd thrive with more work. Saka would be the only real worry.

Post #555243  Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:28 pm 

It hasn’t even kicked off yet but I am already so bored with this poxy World Cup. I have no great interest in international football or tournaments, but this one has been a truly ridiculous idea from the moment Qatar was awarded the competition.

Qatar has a land area of about 4,500 sq miles and a population of about 2.8m. For context, England is 50,000 sq miles and has a population of about 57m.

It gets far dafter though. It never fully occurred to me until quite recently (my geography is as poor as my level of interest) that the entire competition is to be held within its only city, Doha which has an urban area of about 50 sq miles. London is getting on for 700 sq miles.

Imagine the small semi-circular bit of London contained within the North Circular Road and the Thames. Now plonk down 8 brand new stadiums, each of 40,000 to 80,000 capacity, some just a mile apart, and we’re all set for the North London World Cup.

How utterly stupid is that as an idea?

Post #555244  Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:59 pm 

I mean it should never have gone ahead. Seems so crazy alone that England have flown out and will play next Monday with barely any preparation time. Kane has been looking lethargic anyway.

A mate is going to the wales games, apparently it’s 15 quid for a beer out there at normal times. I do think some of the fans travelling are in for a shock. Apparently Fifa have booked up 80 percent of the main hotels out there for sponsors. It’s purely about cash and *%^@ all else

I’ll make a prediction. Russia will get to host the tournament before England do again. Totally bent

Post #555245  Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:59 pm 

As recently as the '90s, the top-flight rugby union team Racing Club de Paris used to cycle to their home games wearing pink bow ties and stopping for champagne refreshers on the way.

That should be a positive requirement for World Cup teams in Doha, making a virtue of the tiny travel distances. They could choose different coloured bow ties. Roadside bands dressed as clowns could play Entry of the Gladiators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmQFY4XgR98

Post #555246  Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:43 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Russia will get to host the tournament before England do again.

Nobody here will live long enough to see England as hosts again. Here's another joke.

The 2026 World Cup is to be hosted by Canada, USA and Mexico.

Vancouver to Mexico City – about 2,500 miles. Los Angeles to Boston – about the same.

No doubt there’ll be plenty of hotel accommodation and affordable beer but check those carbon footprints and air miles – if indeed we’ll still be flying by then.

From one extreme to the other. Anyone spot any logistical strategy or consideration for fans?

Bent as hairpins, the lot of 'em.

Post #555247  Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:37 pm 

Oh great the Russians have lobbed 2 missiles into Poland.

This could get out of hand now

Post #555248  Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:45 pm 

DHD wrote:
It hasn’t even kicked off yet but I am already so bored with this poxy World Cup. I have no great interest in international football or tournaments, but this one has been a truly ridiculous idea from the moment Qatar was awarded the competition.

Qatar has a land area of about 4,500 sq miles and a population of about 2.8m. For context, England is 50,000 sq miles and has a population of about 57m.

It gets far dafter though. It never fully occurred to me until quite recently (my geography is as poor as my level of interest) that the entire competition is to be held within its only city, Doha which has an urban area of about 50 sq miles. London is getting on for 700 sq miles.

Imagine the small semi-circular bit of London contained within the North Circular Road and the Thames. Now plonk down 8 brand new stadiums, each of 40,000 to 80,000 capacity, some just a mile apart, and we’re all set for the North London World Cup.

I'm fairly progressive about a variety of things but the World Cup and the Olympics have tried to expand venues in hopes of this kumbayah, kinda thingy in places that simply aren't ready to host...yet. Or not conducive to hosting...yet.

I completely get breaking the traditional one world cup in Europe, one in South America trade off that was going on for decades, but you have to choose wisely. From my understanding Korea and Japan pulled it off. Japan is the 3rd largest economy and Korea is very modernized. They could. They have the infrastructure and population to do so. Not everyone is Japan.

Post #555249  Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:02 pm 

DHD wrote:

How ridiculously stupid? Not from where the amount of money that was exchanged obviously.

Post #555250  Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:13 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I'm quite sure Neves will relish the chance to jump from relegation candidate to potential Champions.

We’re all getting so ahead of ourselves :14laughter:

Staying optimistic and believing in this team
And the manager I once wanted out is doing a fantastic transformation job
Credit where credit is due
We just need to reinforce in some areas, IMO, defensive mid, central mid and a striker

Post #555251  Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:08 am 

Oh look. We aren’t going to get a trade deal

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -joe-biden

It’s almost like everyone was lied into making themselves poorer. Funny that

Post #555252  Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:46 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

That's a shame. I was looking forward to some chlorinated chicken and hormone-hyped beef.

Post #555253  Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:56 am 

The closest we came to the title since 2004 was the 2007/08 season where we finished with 83 points.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007%E2%8 ... .C._season
Even with the melt down after Eduardo had his leg snapped by a thug we were only 1 win in the game v Man U from winning the title, and we were 1-0 up in that game.

So who wins between that team and our current team?

Almunia, Sagna, Toure, Gallas, Clichy, Flamini, Fabregas, Hleb, Rosicky, Adebayor, Van Persie

Ramsdale, White, Saliba, Gabriel, Zinchenko, Partey, Xhaka, Ødegaard, Martinelli, Saka, Jesus

I think the 07/08 team had some better depth of squad players: Lehmann, Eboue, Senderso, Song, Gilberto, Diaby, Denilson, Eduardo, Walcott, Bendtner, but I can't help feel that the current team would be too powerful in midfield and the tactical side of Arteta's plan might be too sophisticated for the classic 4-4-2 of the 07/08 team.......but Saliba and Gabriel would have a very tough time up against Adebayor and Van Persie!
I'd back Saka to beat Clichy but Sagna was top class and Martinelli might have found it tough to beat him. Someone would have had to pin Fabregas down

Post #555254  Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:26 pm 

Rich wrote:
The closest we came to the title since 2004 was the 2007/08 season where we finished with 83 points.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007%E2%8 ... .C._season
Even with the melt down after Eduardo had his leg snapped by a thug we were only 1 win in the game v Man U from winning the title, and we were 1-0 up in that game.

So who wins between that team and our current team?

Almunia, Sagna, Toure, Gallas, Clichy, Flamini, Fabregas, Hleb, Rosicky, Adebayor, Van Persie

Ramsdale, White, Saliba, Gabriel, Zinchenko, Partey, Xhaka, Ødegaard, Martinelli, Saka, Jesus

I think the 07/08 team had some better depth of squad players: Lehmann, Eboue, Senderso, Song, Gilberto, Diaby, Denilson, Eduardo, Walcott, Bendtner, but I can't help feel that the current team would be too powerful in midfield and the tactical side of Arteta's plan might be too sophisticated for the classic 4-4-2 of the 07/08 team.......but Saliba and Gabriel would have a very tough time up against Adebayor and Van Persie!
I'd back Saka to beat Clichy but Sagna was top class and Martinelli might have found it tough to beat him. Someone would have had to pin Fabregas down

As we all know things changed immediately after the infamous and track Eduardo injury. Still tough to take. Both the injury and the aftermath where we surrendered the title quicker than I thought we should respective of the injury.

Anyway, as to your question. I'm going with 2008. I didn't even have to give it much thought. Flamini, Hleb, Rosicky and Fabregas may be smaller but as we saw in that season, they more than held their own.

Yes, I'm a bit biased but Fabregas alone on both sides is the best midfielder of the whole lot. Van Persie, a healthy van Persie is as if not more effective than Jesus. RvP can score from in the box and from distance.

I'd love to be proven wrong via a title. This side seems to be made of sterner stuff so far. But it we still have a lot more football to play and they will be tested to their full mental and physical limits. But as it stands, 2008.

Interesting question though.

Post #555255  Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:38 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
As we all know things changed immediately after the infamous and track Eduardo injury. Still tough to take. Both the injury and the aftermath where we surrendered the title quicker than I thought we should respective of the injury.

We won four straight games after Eduardo's injury, so that narrative just isn't true. It was the run of games after those four wins that ultimately cost us the title, we were winless in five during that stretch.

For me, it's no question this team is better overall than that one though. The full backs in 07/08 were good, but not much better (if better at all) than what we have now. I'd take all of Saliba, Gabriel and White before Toure and Gallas, and Ramsdale is clearly better than Almunia.

In midfield, Fabregas is clearly the best, and Flamini clearly the worst. Hleb and Rosicky were terrific players that wouldn't look out of place in today's team, but like the full backs there's not much in it if we compare to how Saka and Martinelli are playing.

van Persie went on to become world class, but he wasn't yet at this point, and Adebayor caught lightning in a bottle that season - the only season he scored 20+ goals in any league during his career. I'd go for van Persie as we knew what he became, but no way I'd rather have Adebayor than Jesus.

Player for player it could go either way really, but if you add in such things as structure and organization today's team wins hands down for me.

Post #555256  Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:43 pm 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62354857

A reminder of the BBC Pundits pre-season predictions

Post #555257  Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:50 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

We won four straight games after Eduardo's injury, so that narrative just isn't true. It was the run of games after those four wins that ultimately cost us the title, we were winless in five during that stretch.

After the Birmingham 2-2 (in which that last minute penalty was a joke by the way as Clichy clearly won the ball) we had the following results in the league
Arsenal 1-1 Villa (last minute equaliser for us)
Wigan 0-0 Arsenal
Arsenal 1-1 Boro (6th minute equaliser for us)
Chelsea 2-1 Arsenal
Bolton 2-3 Arsenal (last minute winner for us after being 2-0 down and down to 10 men)
Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool
Man U 2-1 Arsenal

So the wheels most definitely came off after the Eduardo injury

Post #555258  Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:56 pm 

I'm trying to trigger Rich. :58big-emoticons:

Attachments:

Post #555259  Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:02 pm 

Rich wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

After the Birmingham 2-2 (in which that last minute penalty was a joke by the way as Clichy clearly won the ball) we had the following results in the league
Wigan 0-0 Arsenal
Chelsea 2-1 Arsenal
Bolton 2-3 Arsenal (last minute winner for us after being 2-0 down and down to 10 men)
Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool
Man U 2-1 Arsenal

Yep, that's how I remember it too, Rich. Disaster in increments - one slow-drip draw at a time.

Post #555260  Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:33 pm 

Yes, actually I was looking at the wrong Birmingham game (we drew 1-1 in January, after which we won four straight before facing them again).

I do feel the Eduardo injury narrative gets overblown though. We had a very young team at the time, and were probably bound to struggle at some point that season. It's also worth noting he had something like 3-4 goals at the time (while being considered mostly a pure goalscorer) and was clearly our third choice striker.

Post #555261  Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:35 pm 

Rich wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62354857

A reminder of the BBC Pundits pre-season predictions

I think if you had asked the most optimistic of Arsenal fans very, very few would even have us top 3...lol.

Post #555262  Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:35 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
We won four straight games after Eduardo's injury, so that narrative just isn't true. It was the run of games after those four wins that ultimately cost us the title, we were winless in five during that stretch....
From memory wasn't Van Persie missing injured quite a bit in the final quarter of the league campaign? I recall thinking how unlucky we were that we lost two key strikers and due to the transfer window closing, couldn't replace either. That 2007/8 side was excellent and Adebayor could have been a great.

Post #555263  Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:10 pm 

Flamini as you all recall played the defensive mid, pit bull terrier role. Don't be fooled by his size, he had more than enough fight in him.
Hleb, Rosicky and Fabregas all were great on the ball and great passers. They worked very well together and they were all friends. It seemed like they sat with each other all the time. One of the reasons I rated them above the current midfield is they seemed more in sync. This one is but they were all on the same page mentally and knew each others cuts and runs. It was beautiful and I didn't see the same since the Bergkamp, Viera, Pires, Henry, Freddie days.

As we recall, Hleb wouldn't shoot, Rosicky loved to shoot and Fabregas did a bit of both but mostly quarterbacking the team. It was a joy to watch at times. Probably one of if not the smallest midfield in the league but to a man tough as nails. Hleb knew he'd get fouled but went on with it anyway.

Finally, the beauty of football, or sports, is the friendships that are across all lines. Each of them from different countries and cultures but were tight and great friends.

Post #555264  Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:10 pm 

Rich wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Wigan 0-0 Arsenal
Chelsea 2-1 Arsenal
Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool
Man U 2-1 Arsenal

Blimey. I was at all of those games. Like most seasons in that decade, I was a 100%er. Those were the days.

Haven't thought about that Birmingham game for years but now that it's mentioned, the lousy memories come flooding back. Doesn't time fly.

EDIT - one of the worst things about that game was how Gallas made an absolute prat of himself in the aftermath of the injury. That was the day he lost the respect of the fans and his decline accelerated.

Post #555265  Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:33 pm 

20 years ago today:

Attachment:

Post #555266  Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:47 pm 

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... -2028-bid/

No Emirates.

Post #555267  Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:39 pm 

DHD wrote:
Rich wrote:
Wigan 0-0 Arsenal
Chelsea 2-1 Arsenal
Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool
Man U 2-1 Arsenal

EDIT - one of the worst things about that game was how Gallas made an absolute prat of himself in the aftermath of the injury. That was the day he lost the respect of the fans and his decline accelerated.

I didn’t like his character but I never really had a problem with his strop at the final whistle. It was utterly absurd yet totally predictable we let a ten man Birmingham side nick a point on a day they crippled our striker.

Post #555268  Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:39 pm 

After the re-start, all our PL games up to the end of Jan are televised.

Post #555269  Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:45 pm 

No matter how it turns out the fact that we are on the cusp of a title race (I don't consider title races until well into the new year) is exciting enough. An unexpected bonus to the season.

Post #555270  Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:36 pm 

Leicester has been quietly moving up the table. Relegation fodder not too long ago they have been playing well and 3rd on form the last 5 matches. And they are playing great defense as well.

Don't know why they have been playing well of late but I'm happy for them. The only team to win the PL finishing outside the top 3 the prior season. I'm hoping we'll be the 2nd.

Post #555271  Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:26 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I'm trying to trigger Rich. :58big-emoticons:

Haha
These ‘without var’ tables are strange in that I think whoever prints them is trying to get a ride from the fans to show how var has cheated them or aided their rivals, but all these tables show is the teams who suffered the worst original real time decisions.

Post #555272  Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:38 pm 

Shearer has done his team of the season so far:
Pope, Trippier, Shar, Saliba, Cancelo, Guimaraes, Xhaka, Almiron, De Bruyne, Maddison, Haaland.

5 Newcastle players might say he’s being a teeny bit biased, but his team isn’t a million miles off

Post #555273  Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:45 pm 

Rich wrote:
Pope, Trippier, Shar, Saliba, Cancelo, Guimaraes, Xhaka, Almiron, De Bruyne, Maddison, Haaland.

5 Newcastle players might say he’s being a teeny bit biased, but his team isn’t a million miles off

No way can you pick an 11 without Partey. For his 2 sceamers alone he should be in. He’s been colossal

Post #555274  Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:02 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

No way can you pick an 11 without Partey. For his 2 sceamers alone he should be in. He’s been colossal

Agreed Partey has been immense.
Also Arsenal and Newcastle have the joint best defence in the league for goals against so someone like Shar should be making way for White or Gabriel

Post #555275  Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:22 pm 

I saw a report on Facebook that the FA submitted a list to UEFA for 2028 And apparently our stadium is not in the top 14 submitted. It might not seem important but it’s all extra income.

Post #555276  Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:47 pm 

Rich wrote:

Can't blame him for being excited with Newcastle's very good form this season :42laughter:
Much alike us celebrating our tremendous form.

Post #555277  Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:08 am 

Rich wrote:

So far, albiet only a few examples (Chelsea, City, to a lesser extent Leicester a one off seaosn), any EPL club that has the resources that Newcastle have eventually win the title within a half dozen years of getting said money.

For its time, it was Sir Jack Walker in the '90s. Liverpool got their huge sums from player sales instead of an uber rich sugar daddy but they spent like a sugar daddy and are winning titles again. Arsenal obviously being the exception but these days its the super rich clubs (PSG is the French example of the rich sugar daddy).

So, I expect Newcastle to win a title before this decade is out, and I'm guessing in 4-6 years if I had to wager on it.

Post #555278  Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:24 am 

DHD wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

That's a shame. I was looking forward to some chlorinated chicken and hormone-hyped beef.
You stooped fooker if you eat those salad bags they are chlorinated too.

We wouldn't be in a financial crisis if coonts like you had agreed with me that lockdowns were a mistake. The only country not really suffering is Sweden who didn't lock down.

STFU blaming everyone else for the financial crisis you and Putin are to blame.

Post #555279  Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:19 am 

bubblechris wrote:
DHD wrote:

You stooped fooker if you eat those salad bags they are chlorinated too.

We wouldn't be in a financial crisis if coonts like you had agreed with me that lockdowns were a mistake. The only country not really suffering is Sweden who didn't lock down.

STFU blaming everyone else for the financial crisis you and Putin are to blame.

Been licking toads again, Chris?

Post #555280  Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:21 am 

:42laughter:

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13879, 13880, 13881, 13882, 13883, 13884, 13885 ... 14269  Next