Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 87 guests

Post #530441  Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:11 pm 

Not to be pessimistic but it seems ever summer, we read valuations for players and we always seem to end up getting less than that, often much less. So, for me, I'll believe it when I see it.

Post #530442  Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:00 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
This is about as close to Arsenal v Tottenham as you get in football in America. USA vs Mexico is not just sport, but politics.

Good game. Mexico had the lions share of possession and America as usual lacks a manager with tactical nous and an organized team defense.

The interesting thing about America and the demographic shift is pretty much no matter where you play in the states, crowd-wise, its like a home match for Mexico....lol.

The games against Canada are friendly. But Mexico is another matter.

Er. Video unavailable.

Post #530443  Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:07 pm 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... ssion=true

Brighton put £50m price tag on Ben White. He’s played 100 odd minutes for England.
Now I know price tags in the media and what actually happens aren’t the same thing but there must be some club PR where you get a whiff of teams interested in your player so you put out there an huge price tag to ward off those clubs or be happy if they paid it. It’s remarkable how often those fantasy price tags just get repeated until they become accepted.
If Ben White has a £50m
Price tag why shouldn’t Arsenal be saying that’s what Willock’s price tag is or that’s what AMN price tag is?

Post #530444  Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:26 pm 

Rich wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9661925/amp/Brighton-place-50m-price-tag-Ben-White-amid-Manchester-Utd-Arsenal-Liverpool.html?__twitter_impression=true

Brighton put £50m price tag on Ben White. He’s played 100 odd minutes for England.
Now I know price tags in the media and what actually happens aren’t the same thing but there must be some club PR where you get a whiff of teams interested in your player so you put out there an huge price tag to ward off those clubs or be happy if they paid it. It’s remarkable how often those fantasy price tags just get repeated until they become accepted.
If Ben White has a £50m
Price tag why shouldn’t Arsenal be saying that’s what Willock’s price tag is or that’s what AMN price tag is?

I guess because we aren’t as fussed about keeping them. Brighton fended off Leeds interest in Ben White at the beginning of the season and turned down a 30m bid. They see him as probably their best asset or something close to it.

I have a strong suspicion Arteta thinks Willock isn’t good enough to play for him. Or can’t adapt to his tactics, which amounts to the same thing.

Post #530445  Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:16 am 

Arteta has the ultimate right to decide who he wants in his team. And with it, he also has the ultimate responsibility for any poor result and/or lack of success from his team. I hope he decide to include Saliba, Willock and AMN next season, especially Saliba.

Post #530446  Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:34 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Arteta has the ultimate right to decide who he wants in his team. And with it, he also has the ultimate responsibility for any poor result and/or lack of success from his team. I hope he decide to include Saliba, Willock and AMN next season, especially Saliba.

Is ‘ultimate responsibility’ for results the appropriate term for an employee? Could one argue it is the ‘ultimate responsibility’ of the individual with ‘ultimate’ power and/or control over not only who works at Arsenal but what their budget is for whatever job someone (albeit you’re talking of Arteta) has? If so, surely that makes it Stan Kroenke’s ‘ultimate’ responsibility?

I’m not saying what is unarguably or undoubtedly the right answer, by the way. I’m just asking a question where the correct reply could feasibly be different to your conclusion.

Post #530447  Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:10 am 

Zed wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi Zed,

I hope we get a decent fee and don’t just give him away.

Hi Soc,
Seems Roma offering £10M below Arsenal's £20M-£30M amount.

Hi Zed,

We need to get tough. He's the swiss captain in the peak of his career. He should be £25m.

Post #530448  Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:12 am 

Rich wrote:
Every time I read a journalist report an Arsenal player leaving the supposed price tag we've set for our player always seems totally reasonable or under priced.
Xhaka £20m
Bellerin £20m
Willock £20m
AMN £20m
Nketiah £15m
These are from journalists who do seem to have knowledge of Arsenal as well.

Hi Rich,

I read that the fee for Xhaka is 20m euros + add-ons. Not terrible but probably below the market rate.

If you get that fee for Xhaka and then splurge £35m on Ruben Neves it makes little sense. As good a player as Neves is his form last season was not that of a £35m player. £25m max.

Post #530449  Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:18 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:
Every time I read a journalist report an Arsenal player leaving the supposed price tag we've set for our player always seems totally reasonable or under priced.
Xhaka £20m
Bellerin £20m
Willock £20m
AMN £20m
Nketiah £15m
These are from journalists who do seem to have knowledge of Arsenal as well.

Hi Rich,

I read that the fee for Xhaka is 20m euros + add-ons. Not terrible but probably below the market rate.

If you get that fee for Xhaka and then splurge £35m on Ruben Neves it makes little sense. As good a player as Neves is his form last season was not that of a £35m player. £25m max.

The market seems to be depressed, apart from for anyone that Arsenal want to buy.

Post #530450  Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:41 am 

long time gooner wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi Rich,

The market seems to be depressed, apart from for anyone that Arsenal want to buy.

Hi ltg,

As a wiseman once said......sell low, buy high! Oh, hold on a minute.

Post #530451  Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:56 am 

socrates wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Hi ltg,

As a wiseman once said......sell low, buy high! Oh, hold on a minute.

The opposite of Brentford you mean.

Post #530452  Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:15 am 

lol...the ending though.

Post #530453  Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:17 am 

Bernard wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Is ‘ultimate responsibility’ for results the appropriate term for an employee? Could one argue it is the ‘ultimate responsibility’ of the individual with ‘ultimate’ power and/or control over not only who works at Arsenal but what their budget is for whatever job someone (albeit you’re talking of Arteta) has? If so, surely that makes it Stan Kroenke’s ‘ultimate’ responsibility?

I’m not saying what is unarguably or undoubtedly the right answer, by the way. I’m just asking a question where the correct reply could feasibly be different to your conclusion.

Yes, ultimate is the intended word in my message. Perhaps I should have added poor result and/or lack of success from his team, in the matches. That was the context of my message. On the flipside, and to stay positive, he is also the ultimate reason when we win on the field. He choose the team, he choose the tactics and he alters as and when he see how things are going for the team.

Post #530454  Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:01 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
The fee being reported is 25 million euros plus add ons.

I'd take a packet of rainbow skittles for him so that seems sufficient

Post #530455  Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:01 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Yes, ultimate is the intended word in my message. Perhaps I should have added poor result and/or lack of success from his team, in the matches. That was the context of my message. On the flipside, and to stay positive, he is also the ultimate reason when we win on the field. He choose the team, he choose the tactics and he alters as and when he see how things are going for the team.

In that case you’re mistaken. The man with ultimate control and power over what happens at Arsenal can only be Kroenke, not Arteta who is an employee that Kroenke can keep in post or sack as well as set th budget he works to.

Post #530456  Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:47 pm 

Random pic in my feed...I always like seeing two or more randomly iconic people in a photo.

Attachments:

Post #530457  Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:04 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Random pic in my feed...I always like seeing two or more randomly iconic people in a photo.

Cool - Harry Belafonte and Denzel Washington

Post #530458  Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:28 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Is ‘ultimate responsibility’ for results the appropriate term for an employee? Could one argue it is the ‘ultimate responsibility’ of the individual with ‘ultimate’ power and/or control over not only who works at Arsenal but what their budget is for whatever job someone (albeit you’re talking of Arteta) has? If so, surely that makes it Stan Kroenke’s ‘ultimate’ responsibility? I’m not saying what is unarguably or undoubtedly the right answer, by the way. I’m just asking a question where the correct reply could feasibly be different to your conclusion.
Just ask yourself if the Prime Minister is responsible whenever a civil servant does a bad job. That might answer your question.

Post #530459  Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:41 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Is ‘ultimate responsibility’ for results the appropriate term for an employee? Could one argue it is the ‘ultimate responsibility’ of the individual with ‘ultimate’ power and/or control over not only who works at Arsenal but what their budget is for whatever job someone (albeit you’re talking of Arteta) has? If so, surely that makes it Stan Kroenke’s ‘ultimate’ responsibility? I’m not saying what is unarguably or undoubtedly the right answer, by the way. I’m just asking a question where the correct reply could feasibly be different to your conclusion.
Just ask yourself if the Prime Minister is responsible whenever a civil servant does a bad job. That might answer your question.

No it’s not something I would hold against the Prime Minister. But I would expect the mechanisms to be in place where training is given so that the mistake isn’t repeated, or if it is the individual is either found an alternative job he or she is more capable of performing competently or, at the end of the day, is eventually dismissed.

If those mechanisms aren’t in place within the civil service structure, and no attempt is being made to ensure they are, I would suggest it’s relevant to ask questions of firstly the responsible minister and eventually the Prime Minister who has appointed the minister involved.

Post #530460  Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:08 pm 

https://insidefutbol.com/2021/06/08/rom ... ka/512023/

I have never thought Xhaka would command such attention from Mourinho. Happy for him to be regarded highly.

Post #530461  Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:10 pm 

https://www.anfieldcentral.co.uk/posts/ ... d-willock/

Michael Mongie with his dumb assertion

Post #530462  Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:42 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
https://www.anfieldcentral.co.uk/posts/liverpool-can-kill-two-birds-with-one-stone-by-signing-saka-and-willock/

I can’t argue with this paragraph he wrote:

“Don’t get me wrong – Arsenal are a fantastic club and have one of the biggest fanbases in the world but with their current ownership, they aren’t going to challenge for top honours for several years to come.“

To be honest, considering that observation I think it’s only a matter of time before other big clubs start looking at Saka. Furthermore, considering that observation it won’t be a huge shock if Saka does get his head turned. Unless he extends it, his contract expires in 2024. I am totally confident Saka will be an Arsenal player next season, 2021/22. Then he’ll only be two years off the end of his contract. Because of that I’m not as sure he will still be an Arsenal player in the 2022/23 season, and even less so in 2023/24.

Post #530463  Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:11 pm 

Bernard wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
https://www.anfieldcentral.co.uk/posts/liverpool-can-kill-two-birds-with-one-stone-by-signing-saka-and-willock/

“Don’t get me wrong – Arsenal are a fantastic club and have one of the biggest fanbases in the world but with their current ownership, they aren’t going to challenge for top honours for several years to come.“

To be honest, considering that observation I think it’s only a matter of time before other big clubs start looking at Saka. Furthermore, considering that observation it won’t be a huge shock if Saka does get his head turned. Unless he extends it, his contract expires in 2024. I am totally confident Saka will be an Arsenal player next season, 2021/22. Then he’ll only be two years off the end of his contract. Because of that I’m not as sure he will still be an Arsenal player in the 2022/23 season, and even less so in 2023/24.

Sadly that all seems highly plausible.

It’s the way that it’s bound to go unless we start mounting sustained credible challenges real soon.

Post #530464  Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:18 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Depends how many jam roles he’s appointed in his cabinet.

There are many parallels between Kroenke and Boris Johnson actually.

Both unqualified to do their job, habitual liars prepared to wreck the thing they pretend to care about for personal gain and only motivated by money.

Baby josh and Boris should meet up to compare notes

Post #530465  Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:40 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
https://insidefutbol.com/2021/06/08/roma-put-in-improved-bid-for-granit-xhaka/512023/

I have never thought Xhaka would command such attention from Mourinho. Happy for him to be regarded highly.

Highly ? Wot one team potentially interested who probably are only so because of his hugely knocked down price because he’s mugged himself off so much!

Post #530466  Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:07 pm 

gooner7 wrote:

Might as well go all in. Everyone else seems to chip away at the pie. Being we have to sell before buying. But some journos like to rock the boat. Do agree about the paragraph Bernard mentioned though in this.

Post #530467  Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:12 pm 

warrior wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Sidney Poitier and Miles Davis

Post #530468  Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:22 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
https://insidefutbol.com/2021/06/08/roma-put-in-improved-bid-for-granit-xhaka/512023/

Go on Xhaka, "go Hollywood" same as Mourinho did.
Will explain the Hollywood bit later. :angel4:

Post #530469  Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:20 pm 

Zed wrote:
warrior wrote:

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Kieran Gibbs

Post #530470  Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:27 am 

Vince Ordinaire wrote:
Zed wrote:

Welcome to the forum, Andre Marriner.

Post #530471  Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:34 am 

Bernard wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I do agree with you. We have a high risk of losing our better players. Just not next season for Saka (yet).

Post #530472  Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:53 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Vince Ordinaire wrote:

That’s a name from the past isn’t it? By which I don’t mean Andre Marriner.

Post #530473  Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:21 am 

Bernard wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

That’s a name from the past isn’t it? By which I don’t mean Andre Marriner.

True! I should have said, 'Welcome back, Vince,' as well. It was rude of me not to.

Post #530474  Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:38 am 

Smith Rowe is close to agreeing a new contract until 2026

Post #530475  Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:24 am 

Dan Friedkin is owner and president of AS Roma. He's a businessman and film director. His company, Imperative Entertainment, since 2014, is a studio in Santa Monica, California. Currently Imperative Ent. is producing Killers of the Flower Moon, directed by Martin Scorcese, starring Leo DiCaprio and Robert De Niro.
Friedkin's net worth is $4.2B.
Looked up AS Roma owner when Mourhino became manager.

Post #530476  Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:33 am 

Welcome back Vince. It seems ages since you last posted.

Post #530477  Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:35 am 

Daniel Ek to submit a new bid of over £2 billion.

I just can’t see the Kroenkes letting go somehow. Not unless the offer gets really tasty.

Post #530478  Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:35 am 

Zed wrote:
Dan Friedkin is owner and president of AS Roma. He's a businessman and film director. His company, Imperative Entertainment, since 2014, is a studio in Santa Monica, California. Currently Imperative Ent. is producing Killers of the Flower Moon, directed by Martin Scorcese, starring Leo DiCaprio and Robert De Niro.
Friedkin's net worth is $4.2B.
Looked up AS Roma owner when Mourhino became manager.

Hence the "gone Hollywood" in earlier post.

Post #530479  Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:37 am 

socrates wrote:
Daniel Ek to submit a new bid of over £2 billion.

I just can’t see the Kroenkes letting go somehow. Not unless the offer gets really tasty.

Ek should keep piling on the pressure. Give them an offer they can't refuse.

Post #530480  Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:38 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Vince Ordinaire wrote:

Been a long time Vince.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13259, 13260, 13261, 13262, 13263, 13264, 13265 ... 14269  Next