Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, Googlebot, warrior and 346 guests

Post #560521  Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:44 pm 

Decaf wrote:
socrates wrote:
Great win again yesterday.

Still think we are conceding too many big chances against mediocre teams and at some point that may come back to bite us on the bum.

Leeds could have been 2 up early in the game and that would have been tough to come back from and win.

I think one of the issues is that Zinchenko is something of a double-edged sword, superb in the inverted role giving us that extra man in midfield but at the same time vacating the LB space leaving us wide open to counter-attacks down that side.

Maybe Tierney has to come in at LB in some games to give us better defensive stability, especially if Saliba remains out.

City also give chance to 'mediocre' sides on occasions. Forest,, Everton, etc. Even Spurs looked good against them on occasion.

A case in point is their home loss to Brentford when Toney scored in the last minute. Although City dominated possession, Brentford had considerably more shots on target and their XG was 3.33. City's was 1.86. When the high precision game is slightly off it can go pear-shaped.

Saliba's absence is a massive worry, but man for many I think we are better than Liverpool in all but two positions.

Anything could happen but there is absolutely no reason to fear them.

Curious,Decaf...which two positions?

Post #560522  Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:30 pm 

Everton v Spurs is dull, got 0-0 written all over it, then Dacoure rashly decides to push Kane in the face, red card, then Keane swipes at a ball in the box - misses it, penalty. Spurs 1-0 up and it is basically game over.

HWe really did manage to play Everton at the worst possible time. They are wretched

Post #560523  Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:51 pm 

Wow. Spurs are still Spursy.

Despite being 11 v 10 they let Everton dictate the game and come on to them and dominate them, Moura then loses his head and gets himself sent off and now Keane has just lashed one in from 25 yards and its 1-1

Post #560524  Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:32 pm 

Two more wins for St Totteringham’s day

Post #560525  Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:32 pm 

How bitter is this Liverpool journalist!!
He’s obviously forgetting the time Liverpool we’re 5 points clear with 3 games to play before they ‘slipped’ up

Attachments:

Post #560526  Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:14 am 

Wonderful moment when Everton equalised at the 90th min. Everton were the better team throughout the night.
Kane, as expected, pretended to be hurt much more than it was. Always a cheat.

Post #560527  Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:58 am 

Rich wrote:
He’s obviously forgetting the time Liverpool we’re 5 points clear with 3 games to play before they ‘slipped’ up

Lack of injuries and officiating decisions ?
Do they not drug test journalists ?

Post #560528  Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:18 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Wonderful moment when Everton equalised at the 90th min. Everton were the better team throughout the night.

Whilst I think Kane is a cheat, and I agree he made more of it than it was but I don’t massively blame him for going down last night. It wasn’t a brush of the hand, or an unwitting contact from Dacoure. He was getting a red whatever and Kane just made the decision easier. Kane didn’t get Dacoure sent off Dacoure did that himself.

I know it’s different but did Ayling’s kick to Jesus’ knee cause Jesus to go down as he did in the box to win our penalty? If Jesus had ridden the challenge and got his shot/cross away would the ref or var come back to look at the kick on the knee and given a penalty? Not a chance in my view. A foul was committed and Jesus made sure the ref knew it was a foul and gave him no chance to not give a penalty. Kane did something similar last night.

Post #560529  Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:20 am 

warrior wrote:
Rich wrote:

Lack of injuries and officiating decisions ?
Do they not drug test journalists ?

And ‘in any normal season Arsenal would be 4th’ in all but 1 prem season in history we’d be top at this stage.
It’s such nonsensical drivel from a bitter Liverpool fan seeing his own team crumble

Post #560530  Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:45 am 

There is a thin line between being a realist and a pessimist at times. This is one of them. The press and pundits have crowned us champions to be. They say the string EPL victories we have.

Truth is its similar to the Man Utd run. We didn't play top 4 or 5 clubs. They are all wins and I accept these wins as much as I accept wins over Tottenham and Man Utd. This weekend will tell us what we need to know. I hoping, begging, sacrificing a virgin or an unblemished lamb to the football gods for Soton to take points off City as it will give us a bit of breathing room if we draw. If we win it and they drop points, then I might be tempted to see we are more favorites to win the league than not...might.

Anyway, I do not like the talk from pundits and the media. They are saying 8 points without any acknowledgement of a game in hand. City are winning convincingly lately. They are in title chasing mode. I'm also hoping Chelsea takes a lot out of Liverpool tonight. I won't be too upset if an injury or two happens.

Post #560531  Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:01 am 

Saliba misses Liverpool

Massive blow and I do wonder if Mikel will change the set up.

Holding v Palace and Leeds is fine but up against Nunez is a whole another ball game.

Post #560532  Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:23 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Saliba misses Liverpool

Holding v Palace and Leeds is fine but up against Nunez is a whole another ball game.

He’s a big miss no doubt, but Nunez won’t be much of a threat if their midfield can’t get on the ball. We will overrun them, 3-1 with a brace from Martinelli.

Post #560533  Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:27 am 

On the Kane incident, always a red no matter the theatrics, more importantly where was the Yellow for Kane for the kick at Doucoure that lead to the handbags.

Post #560534  Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:52 am 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Saliba misses Liverpool

He’s a big miss no doubt, but Nunez won’t be much of a threat if their midfield can’t get on the ball. We will overrun them, 3-1 with a brace from Martinelli.

Oh *%^@*** dear, You’ve gone and done it now haven’t you.

We’re *%^@** and destined to get such a bum holing on Sunday now that we will need to be medicated by kick off.

My recommendation is now to spend Sunday returning some overdue library books that’s never been sent back or ensure you have nailed several bottles of Californian Pinot solo by kick off as our sphincter will be so mercilessly podgered by the scousers we will need to wear diapers and the confidence hit will destroy this season.

This is on you now.

Post #560535  Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:15 pm 

Rich wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Whilst I think Kane is a cheat, and I agree he made more of it than it was but I don’t massively blame him for going down last night. It wasn’t a brush of the hand, or an unwitting contact from Dacoure. He was getting a red whatever and Kane just made the decision easier. Kane didn’t get Dacoure sent off Dacoure did that himself.

I know it’s different but did Ayling’s kick to Jesus’ knee cause Jesus to go down as he did in the box to win our penalty? If Jesus had ridden the challenge and got his shot/cross away would the ref or var come back to look at the kick on the knee and given a penalty? Not a chance in my view. A foul was committed and Jesus made sure the ref knew it was a foul and gave him no chance to not give a penalty. Kane did something similar last night.

I believe emotions got the better of Dacoure because of the aggressiveness of Kane. Prior to their contact, Kane had pushed Gray to the ground. And while Gray was on the ground, Kane kicked on Gray's trailing foot to get the ball. And when he clashed legs with Dacoure, that was it. I believe Dacoure was furious with Kane's aggressiveness with Gray and their leg clash escalated his emotions. Yes, it was stupid of Dacoure to raise his hand. But Kane is a disgusting cheat.

Post #560536  Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:17 pm 

On the Kane incident, always a red no matter the theatrics, more importantly where was the Yellow for Kane for the kick at Doucoure that lead to the handbags.

Exactly, Kane deserved a yellow for that.

Post #560537  Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:43 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Oh *%^@*** dear, You’ve gone and done it now haven’t you.

We’re *%^@** and destined to get such a bum holing on Sunday now that we will need to be medicated by kick off.

My recommendation is now to spend Sunday returning some overdue library books that’s never been sent back or ensure you have nailed several bottles of Californian Pinot solo by kick off as our sphincter will be so mercilessly podgered by the scousers we will need to wear diapers and the confidence hit will destroy this season.

This is on you now.

Thought I would redress the balance for recent games.

Post #560538  Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:50 pm 

I would add that should we go on to win the title it would be an astonishing achievement. When city signed Haaland I couldn’t see anyone finishing above them, would be truly astonishing if we do it.

Post #560539  Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:09 pm 

gooner7 wrote:

Not that I want to overly defend Kane here but he did get a yellow card for his part in it all

Post #560540  Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:12 pm 

Stories coming out that due to Chelsea’s bloated squad some players had to change in the corridor outside the dressing room as there wasn’t room for them in there. New players Mudryk and Madueke were the ones named that had to change outside.
2 things, firstly that sort of thing would never happen at a functioning squad and secondly where are the senior leaders saying ‘no, I’ll change outside so the two new guys can feel part of this team in with everyone else’

Post #560541  Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:18 pm 

There’s a lot of talk about being 8 points clear and being favourites and consequently if we don’t win it it’s some huge failure. I saw Roy Keane say ‘this is the crunch time where you sort the men out from the boys’

It’s all such nonsense. So when Keane lost the title to Arsenal in the run in in ‘98 did Man U bottle it, were they feeble wimpy boys? Or were they good but simply beaten by the better team?

Whatever happens the two standout teams have been us and City were likely both going to end up with points totals that would have won 70-80% of premier leagues previously.

Yes expectations can change but considering no one gave us a hope of even top 4 at the start of the season it is a bit rich to then laugh and call us failures if we end up finishing 2nd with 93 odd points!

Post #560542  Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:30 pm 

Arsenal academy players are in the semi final of the FA youth cup tonight against Man City. City tend to dominate the youth competitions so it will be a tough test. Wilshere is the Arsenal manager

Post #560543  Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:20 pm 

Rich wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Not that I want to overly defend Kane here but he did get a yellow card for his part in it all

Fair enough, didn’t see that on the Sky snippet.

Post #560544  Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:10 pm 

Liverpool rest Salah, Trent and Robertson. Van Dijk is unwell. Expect all 4 to start v us

Post #560545  Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:18 pm 

Rich wrote:
Stories coming out that due to Chelsea’s bloated squad some players had to change in the corridor outside the dressing room as there wasn’t room for them in there. New players Mudryk and Madueke were the ones named that had to change outside.
2 things, firstly that sort of thing would never happen at a functioning squad and secondly where are the senior leaders saying ‘no, I’ll change outside so the two new guys can feel part of this team in with everyone else

An excellent point. When you have a squad thrown together it's every man for himself. Never a good recipe for success.

Post #560546  Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:26 pm 

Rich wrote:
Liverpool rest Salah, Trent and Robertson. Van Dijk is unwell. Expect all 4 to start v us

A tribute to our current standing.

Post #560547  Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:54 pm 

Evan Ferguson at Brighton is a decent player. Just 19

Post #560548  Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:33 pm 

Arse beat Citeh with the last kick of extra time.

Famous win

Post #560549  Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:58 pm 

DHD wrote:
Arse beat Citeh with the last kick of extra time.

Famous win

Great win for the young lads, in to the final.

Fair play to City, they had a man sent off and we’re 1-0 down after 10 minutes and they took it all the way to the end of extra time before we won it.

Myles Lewis-Skelly with the winner, huge talent in CM, not 17 until September.

Post #560550  Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:46 am 

Rich wrote:
2 things, firstly that sort of thing would never happen at a functioning squad and secondly where are the senior leaders saying ‘no, I’ll change outside so the two new guys can feel part of this team in with everyone else’

Potter recently oversaw an 11 v 11 training game during a session... with another nine v nine match having to take place at the same time to make sure all senior players could play. :1laughter:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/21933930 ... gs-potter/

How absurd. Football needs to reign itself in

Post #560551  Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:05 am 

Andy Green wrote:
Decaf wrote:
City also give chance to 'mediocre' sides on occasions. Forest,, Everton, etc. Even Spurs looked good against them on occasion.

A case in point is their home loss to Brentford when Toney scored in the last minute. Although City dominated possession, Brentford had considerably more shots on target and their XG was 3.33. City's was 1.86. When the high precision game is slightly off it can go pear-shaped.

Saliba's absence is a massive worry, but man for many I think we are better than Liverpool in all but two positions.

Anything could happen but there is absolutely no reason to fear them.

I was thinking of Alison Becker and van Dijk. Not that our best 11 is weak in those position at all!

Post #560552  Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:19 am 

Decaf wrote:
Andy Green wrote:

I was thinking of Alison Becker and van Dijk. Not that our best 11 is weak in those position at all!

Hi Decaf,

Salah?

Anfield is a really tough place to go an win, even when Liverpool are not the force they were.

Post #560553  Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:25 am 

At the moment I just can't get past the difficulty of our remaining fixtures. So so hard.

I think its inevitable we drop a fair few points, the question is will City drop many points in their far easier run-in (on paper) and will the CL and FA Cup cause them enough issues with injuries and tiredness to make them more vulnerable.

Fingers crossed we can do it but it feels to me like the points gap we have is not quite enough to compensate for the difficulty of the fixtures we face and that barring some dramatic loss of form at City they will probably pip us at the post.

Post #560554  Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:32 am 

2 legged final in the fa youth cup, wilshere banging the drum already to try to get as many fans in the emirates as possible.
When his team won in 2009 there were 33,000 at the emiarates.

If you live locally (or not) it’s a great and relatively affordable way to take family and younger kids to watch the potential stars of the future

Post #560555  Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:02 am 

Decaf wrote:

There is an argument that Saliba this season has been better than Van Dijk.

Post #560556  Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:13 am 

socrates wrote:
At the moment I just can't get past the difficulty of our remaining fixtures. So so hard.

I think its inevitable we drop a fair few points, the question is will City drop many points in their far easier run-in (on paper) and will the CL and FA Cup cause them enough issues with injuries and tiredness to make them more vulnerable.

Fingers crossed we can do it but it feels to me like the points gap we have is not quite enough to compensate for the difficulty of the fixtures we face and that barring some dramatic loss of form at City they will probably pip us at the post.

Sadly I tend to agree with you but for them, the real unknown is there cup campaigns and what that could possibly take out of them.

Post #560557  Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:21 am 

Two things has to happen for us to win the title I think. Match City result for result till we play them and then get a draw. Obviously if they get a bad result, loss or draw and we get a draw or win for that weekend, its even better. Even a point after their loss is still good. It means one less game and one more precious point.

Soton isn't have its best season but they are a decent side at home when they want to be. I think City isn't going to have their own way. Just a feeling. They may win but it will be a struggle. Soton is scratching and crawling for any point these days. They won't roll over easily.

These are the kind of games where a big side will go there expecting an easy win and start off lax.

Post #560558  Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:38 am 

socrates wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Hi Decaf,

Salah?

Anfield is a really tough place to go an win, even when Liverpool are not the force they were.

Not better than Saka on present form.

Our first 11 is quite something! Not just the quality of the players but also how well they slot into our system.

But realistically, yes if Liverpool have a good day anything could happen. I'd take a point right now!

Post #560559  Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:39 am 

Gunfire wrote:
Decaf wrote:

There is an argument that Saliba this season has been better than Van Dijk.

That is a very strong argument.

Post #560560  Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:47 am 

socrates wrote:

Their failure to drop any points recently is a worry.

But the points gap is significant. It means that whatever City do in their other games, we can afford to drop 6 points, provided only two of those are at City. 21 points from our last 9 is a big ask but not beyond us.

[ 571971 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 14011, 14012, 14013, 14014, 14015, 14016, 14017 ... 14300  Next