Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 102 guests

Post #527641  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:00 pm 

socrates wrote:
The worse thing about VAR is that it has taken away the joy of scoring a goal. You can never celebrate until VAR has done it round of checks for offsides, fouls, handballs etc.

I am not sure what the answer is because without it there are so many wrongly awarded goals but it all feels so utterly joyless.

Exactly so.

Post #527642  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:18 pm 

socrates wrote:
The worse thing about VAR is that it has taken away the joy of scoring a goal. You can never celebrate until VAR has done it round of checks for offsides, fouls, handballs etc.

I am not sure what the answer is because without it there are so many wrongly awarded goals but it all feels so utterly joyless.

100%, Every goal has to be analysed these days. Without it I’m not sure there’s that many wrongly awarded goals compared to what is occurring right now.

it’s changed the offside rule, without VAR our disallowed goal would never have been questioned. They are going to have to change the offside rule so it involves daylight or something. The players torso maybe. They are giving fractional marginal decisions

It’s simply a failed experiment

Post #527643  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:22 pm 

Rich wrote:
This image went round social media to show the limitations of Elneny. He passed this first time backwards. Look at where smith Rowe is. It’s also the fact Elneny has predetermined that he’s going to play it back before he even gets the pass.

With Xhaka, ceballos and El Nenny in the same side we were always going to struggle. We need better back up in midfield it’s sideways or back usually

Post #527644  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:38 pm 

Stan Kroenke of Arsenal was eager for the Super League to go through. He was Perez's best 'mate' in this. Kroenke sees Super League as the way to make Arsenal "the biggest team in the world"

No.....the way to make Arsenal the biggest team in the world is to put your hand in your *%^@*** pocket :laughing7:

Post #527645  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:40 pm 

Bit of a depressing day on the football front. First we blow a really good chance to claw our way back towards the european qualification places, and then this European Super League proposal. My initial reaction to the latter is that I want no part of it and I would consider giving up my long held season ticket. I dont mean to be xenophobic but I find it annoying that its being pushed by these foreign owners (Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool) who have invested in English football clubs first and foremost to make money and who dont seem to care about the game or the fans itself.

Post #527646  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:42 pm 

Bored wrote:
Bit of a depressing day on the football front. First we blow a really good chance to claw our way back towards the european qualification places, and then this European Super League proposal. My initial reaction to the latter is that I want no part of it and I would consider giving up my long held season ticket. I dont mean to be xenophobic but I find it annoying that its being pushed by these foreign owners (Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool) who have invested in English football clubs first and foremost to make money and who dont seem to care about the game or the fans itself.

It’s a long time since Arsenal considered us as fans. We are customers.

Post #527647  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:55 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Zed wrote:
Wel, no not exactly. The less effort Stan has to put into the club financially, he's well up for this. Proceeds in the form of TV revenue, sponsorships would take care of that.

Don’t really understand your point. You think it’s not disgusting ?

It is disgusting for fans. For Stan, no. The less he has to do financially in support for the club, he's for it.

Post #527648  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:00 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
It sounds truly awful as reported. The ramifications of entering such a limited ‘competition’ are huge. For the clubs, for the players, for the game.

It isn’t something I’d like to see. But it’s the logical conclusion to the situation whereby all the money in the game is concentrated between a small number of clubs. And the likes of Forest, Derby and Villa have next to no chance of competing at the top of the league.

So many would be cut out of the big portion of the pie, let alone not be a part of it.

Post #527649  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:03 pm 

socrates wrote:
Zed wrote:
Wel, no not exactly. The less effort Stan has to put into the club financially, he's well up for this. Proceeds in the form of TV revenue, sponsorships would take care of that.

Not sure why anyone is shocked that we are involved, the attraction is obvious to a club struggling to get back to playing CL football. It's a no brainer for Kroenke.

An easy way out to minimal participation, financially. Pocket more money, without effort.

Post #527650  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:06 pm 

Bored wrote:
I dont mean to be xenophobic but I find it annoying that its being pushed by these foreign owners (Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool) who have invested in English football clubs first and foremost to make money and who dont seem to care about the game or the fans itself.

Apparently Tottenham are the sixth English team signing up for it, along with Manchester City and United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool. Don’t Tottenham have English owners?

https://www.football.london/premier-lea ... 3ae133acee

Post #527651  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:08 pm 

Zed wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Don’t really understand your point. You think it’s not disgusting ?

It is disgusting for fans. For Stan, no. The less he has to do financially in support for the club, he's for it.

Oh I’m not shocked at all the bloke wants it. Or the glazers for that matter

Post #527652  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:09 pm 

Rich wrote:
This image went round social media to show the limitations of Elneny. He passed this first time backwards. Look at where smith Rowe is. It’s also the fact Elneny has predetermined that he’s going to play it back before he even gets the pass.

In the most recent glory era/years we had dynamic players in the middle whose first mind was to look for a forward player: Fabregas, Vieira, Bergkamp when he played farther in the middle. We don't have such players. Okay, they are one off players but we don't have that type of player. Ødegaard could be one of those types. Its certainly not Xhaka and Elneny. Party's role isn't that but he's capable of it sometimes. Smith Rowe, Saka have that in their locker. But its Xhaka who controls the game when he's starting. The players we have don't believe they are skillful enough, or canny enough to do the feint, etc because they are more scared of being the one guilty of losing the ball in such a position and giving up a goal. We should have brought Fabregas back home from Monaco and fill in the position till someone else can be bought. There, I said it. :icon_mrgreen:

Post #527653  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:23 pm 

The breakaway 12 clubs makes no sense. Presumably they’ll be cut off from the FIFA/UEFA/FA environments. If so then where will they get their players from? Any player signing for them would have no way back. I just can’t get my head around it at all.

Post #527654  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:28 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Bored wrote:
I dont mean to be xenophobic but I find it annoying that its being pushed by these foreign owners (Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool) who have invested in English football clubs first and foremost to make money and who dont seem to care about the game or the fans itself.

Apparently Tottenham are the sixth English team signing up for it, along with Manchester City and United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool. Don’t Tottenham have English owners?

It's Joe Lewis. He's one of the richest British football club owners in the country. Worth close to £4B.

Post #527655  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:29 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
The breakaway 12 clubs makes no sense. Presumably they’ll be cut off from the FIFA/UEFA/FA environments. If so then where will they get their players from? Any player signing for them would have no way back. I just can’t get my head around it at all.

Like bromley I doubt it will happen. I wonder if it’s a side threat, or negotiating position, for something else they want. Also, why are Bayern and PSG not getting involved?

Post #527656  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:37 pm 

Zed wrote:
Bernard wrote:

It's Joe Lewis. He's one of the richest British football club owners in the country. Worth close to £4B.

Exactly. That was my point Zed. Lewis is British. Indeed, he’s from London like the team he supports and owns. I was uncomfortable with the idea we should be blaming foreigners, if that’s what Bored was implying. If he wasn’t, then I immediately apologise to him. But it was the impression his post gave me. It was:

“I dont mean to be xenophobic but I find it annoying that its being pushed by these foreign owners (Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool) who have invested in English football clubs first and foremost to make money and who dont seem to care about the game or the fans itself.”

Post #527657  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:44 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

I suppose at the heart of it you have a bunch of clubs sticking their fingers up at everyone else so they are assuming the rest of the footballing world would adjust their environments to accommodate this new super league structure. It’s that and everything else isn’t their concern.

It’s pretty crazy and gross especially the part about issuing a letter of intent which is very salesy.

Post #527658  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:50 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Like bromley I doubt it will happen. I wonder if it’s a side threat, or negotiating position, for something else they want. Also, why are Bayern and PSG not getting involved?

I would have thought due to Bayern’s unique ownership they are less likely to be championing something radical and individual like this as they are proportionally owned by their own trading company like a privately owned organisation Rather than having a toupee wearing noncey owner from America who wants to run the club like his toy. Bayern are a real sporting institution.

Post #527659  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:03 pm 

Bernard wrote:

I think so.
My main objection is its a crap idea that is driven primarily by profit rather than sporting merit and could end up damaging the fabric of English football. I think what leaves a bad taste in the mouth is the admitedly naive idea that owners of football clubs are also custodians, so when a cabal of largely foreign owners seem to be acting in a way which threatens to destroy English football culture which has developed over 100+ years, I cant help but wonder whether growing up in another country makes them more detatched from the role and importance that football has played in England. Its probably a correlation rather than a causal relationship but it doesnt look good.

Post #527660  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:17 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

They will throw big money at players wages but where will the money come from? TV money I assume. The chances of me paying any extra money to watch us is zero. I don’t see why UEFA could not ask nations to ban clubs from their competition (EPL) if they sign up. It is just greedy people trying to make even more money out of the golden goose. We need to be really careful here as a club. They probably are trying to scam some other deal by doing this but frankly the club is a disgrace for being involved.

Post #527661  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:22 pm 

Bernard wrote:
I was uncomfortable with the idea we should be blaming foreigners, if that’s what Bored was implying. If he wasn’t, then I immediately apologise to him.

Hello Bernard. No i'm not blaming foreigners i'm blaming the mindset of owners of any nationality who try to maximise their profits without really caring about the damage it will have on the fabric of football in this or in any other country. The fact that the English clubs supporting these proposals are largely foreign owned is an interesting fact, but its probably irrelevant. I cant believe that this scheme will become reality as it seems too radical and its just a way to put pressure on UEFA.

Post #527662  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:23 pm 

Not sure why everyone is getting so upset. Football sold out to the moneymen a long time ago when Sky entered the fray and this is just the next logical step for those owners who see their clubs as a massive money making machine to move it to another level by avoiding the financial perils of having to qualify for the CL.

If we don't win the EL this year and don't qualify for europe at all then who knows when we might find our way back into the CL. It could be years, if at all. No wonder Kroenke is all over this idea. It seems to me that we stand to benefit from such a breakaway move more than just about anyone else.

Sky, BT and Uefa are just pissed because someone else has the audacity to stick their snout in the trough.

I reckon Uefa should have increased the CL places in the PL 6, then at least all the so-called big 6 clubs would have had a decent shot at CL qualification every year, and that's all they really care about. As it stands at least 2 big clubs are missing out on CL revenue every season and that is why the European Super League is so attractive.

Post #527663  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:27 pm 

Its interesting that the German clubs havent supported these proposals (yet). I'm no expert but could it be because their clubs are structured in a way which prevent them from being run primarily as a rich persons play thing or investment vehicle?

Post #527664  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:35 pm 

Bored wrote:
Its interesting that the German clubs havent supported these proposals (yet). I'm no expert but could it be because their clubs are structured in a way which prevent them from being run primarily as a rich persons play thing or investment vehicle?

I think so, Bored. I mean Kroenke is supposedly one of the big players behind this move and he doesn't even come to Arsenal games, bar the odd cup final.

Post #527665  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:36 pm 

Good ebening Socrates. I agree football sold out a long time ago so in a way it is a natural progression along the road of profit maximisation. But I still find it jarring to think that a handful of rich owners could set up their own league with no relegation/promotion whilst simultaneously destroying the footbaling culture of the country.

Post #527666  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:37 pm 

I can’t see this European super league happening. This seems like it’s a power play by those clubs to be used as a bargaining position for better terms in current competitions.
It wouldn’t surprise me to see the big teams in our league start talking about a more structured tv money deal here. The tv deal is split very evenly in the premier league, no matter if you’re top or bottom. I can imagine the teams with the most fans and the most watched on tv try to broker deals for more of the share of the pot as they are the biggest draw. Or even push for their own tv deal.

Post #527667  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:40 pm 

Bored wrote:
Good ebening Socrates. I agree football sold out a long time ago so in a way it is a natural progression along the road of profit maximisation. But I still find it jarring to think that a handful of rich owners could set up their own league with no relegation/promotion whilst simultaneously destroying the footbaling culture of the country.

I agree but the horse has bolted and its too late to shut the stable door. The gravy train is in full flow.

Post #527668  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:41 pm 

Rich wrote:
I can’t see this European super league happening. This seems like it’s a power play by those clubs to be used as a bargaining position for better terms in current competitions.
It wouldn’t surprise me to see the big teams in our league start talking about a more structured tv money deal here. The tv deal is split very evenly in the premier league, no matter if you’re top or bottom. I can imagine the teams with the most fans and the most watched on tv try to broker deals for more of the share of the pot as they are the biggest draw. Or even push for their own tv deal.

Why not, Rich, its the next logical step, as Bored said, in maximising profits.

Post #527669  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:51 pm 

Well 5th place Villareal beat 9th place Levante
5-1 today.

Post #527670  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:04 pm 

socrates wrote:
Bored wrote:

I agree but the horse has bolted and its too late to shut the stable door. The gravy train is in full flow.

Yep. Greed intensified. Something to boast about between rich, elite club owners to pass the time. Why bother having fans attending live matches, when all the TV revenue has to do is scoop up subscriptions worldwide. Doing that now anyway. Especially if/when more matches are play
ed abroad. All this does is narrows the playing field by removing the less endowed clubs. A playground sport only for the super wealthy. Like a high stakes poker game.

Post #527671  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:27 pm 

socrates wrote:
Not sure why everyone is getting so upset. Football sold out to the moneymen a long time ago when Sky entered the fray and this is just the next logical step for those owners who see their clubs as a massive money making machine to move it to another level by avoiding the financial perils of having to qualify for the CL.

If we don't win the EL this year and don't qualify for europe at all then who knows when we might find our way back into the CL. It could be years, if at all. No wonder Kroenke is all over this idea. It seems to me that we stand to benefit from such a breakaway move more than just about anyone else.

Sky, BT and Uefa are just pissed because someone else has the audacity to stick their snout in the trough.

I reckon Uefa should have increased the CL places in the PL 6, then at least all the so-called big 6 clubs would have had a decent shot at CL qualification every year, and that's all they really care about. As it stands at least 2 big clubs are missing out on CL revenue every season and that is why the European Super League is so attractive.

I understand what you are saying. Would you be happy if Arsenal were no longer in the EPL and every week you were just looking at what team we were playing in Europe. There may become issues about which grounds are available to be used. Not every team across Europe actually own their own ground. Players would likely be banned from their national teams as well. While that might not mean much to some European players, national games and the World Cup are a big deal to a lot of players around the world. Just say it happened. Having now been released, penalties could be enforced immediately and Arsenal could well be involved in some lengthy legal battles. Plus how do you think our current team would fare in games in a super league next season.

Post #527672  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:31 pm 

Zed wrote:
Well 5th place Villareal beat 9th place Levante
5-1 today.

Apparently 9th placed Arsenal drew with 20th placed Fulham today as well but it has been lost because today the club proved how far we are from any values that I can recognise and appreciate.

Post #527673  Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:18 pm 

If you didn’t see it live, I’d recommend watching on BBC iplayer tonight’s MOTD2 (on the Premier League highlights) and the MOTD listed as a separate programme on the FA Cup highlights but to all intents and purposes the same show. At the end of each part of it (MOTD2 on the Premier League and MOTD on the FA Cup) the presenter Mark Chapman and pundits Danny Murphy and Dion Dublin all speak very well about the super league proposals.

Post #527674  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:18 am 

Bernard wrote:
If you didn’t see it live, I’d recommend watching on BBC iplayer tonight’s MOTD2 (on the Premier League highlights) and the MOTD listed as a separate programme on the FA Cup highlights but to all intents and purposes the same show. At the end of each part of it (MOTD2 on the Premier League and MOTD on the FA Cup) the presenter Mark Chapman and pundits Danny Murphy and Dion Dublin all speak very well about the super league proposals.

If this goes ahead then I will no longer follow Arsenal which I'm viewing as a positive right now. :icon_mrgreen1:

Post #527675  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:40 am 

socrates wrote:

Unfortunately the proposal includes a relegation / promotion aspect as well so Arsenal could easily drop out of it and find it just as tough to get back in. You're right about Sky, BT and UEFA's indignation and motivations though and this is a play by rich owners to get their hands on more of the money.

Post #527676  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:18 am 

Rich wrote:

Elneny is full of energy. Good to close players down. He has the stamina to chase and chase and chase. Other than that, the expectations from a good offensive midfield player is beyond him. Good squad player.

Post #527677  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:46 am 

If it happens the winner will be grass roots football. Watched my grandson over the weekend under 9s I think and he was brilliant but his team mates played like kids, heads down no passing.

I know where I'll be spending weekends in future. I vote no to this form of super league

Post #527678  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:48 am 

So Stan is at the forefront of this Super League? https://dailycannon.com/2021/04/european-super-league-arsenal/ Not shocked at all, in fact, no would should. Stan looked at the potential numbers (revenue) and my guess is this was his plan all along down the line. He's a very careful, canny investor. He looks long term.

The TV revenues from the U.S. alone could be astronomical. There are T.V. contracts in America just for the Super Bowl alone, a one time event, is about $2 billion dollars.

I got this from the net:
"The largest domestic TV deal is the Premier League, which has agreed a deal from 2019-2022 of an estimated £5bn for the three years for 200 live matches per season."

This is what the NFL is getting. A sport that is only popular in America.
"CBS, ESPN/ABC, Fox, and NBC agreed to pay $89.5 billion over the next 11 years for the rights to air pro football game"

Kroenke is looking at this potential league and thinking, his cut alone would be massive. The guy knows nothing about football and I gurantee you, willing to bet anything, that outside of Real Madrid and Barcelona he only heard of Bayern Munich, Juve, PSG and any other major continental club from trying to form this league. No doubt whatsoever at all that when he bought Arsenal he had no idea who they were.

I know how I sounded when we had the debate of him or Usmanov were going on. I knew no one on here would fully understand. I had said a long time the last thing you want are Americans involved in football. We'll muck it up like we did our own professional sports. Make rules changes purely for monetary reasons and not for sporting reasons to make it better. Defense has pretty been banned from the NBA and NFL. Look at the scores today compared to 30 or 40 years ago. You can't do certain things these days. In basketball if you look menacingly at someone its a foul (overstating but I'm not too far off from the truth).The Super Bowl is no longer a pure sporting event. Its no different than the Oscars, Grammies, or any other entertainment event. Its a show. The talking point after some Super Bowls isn't who won or lost but the adverts. Yes, the friggin' adverts. Andy Green would confirm this I think. I remember one season, an Apple ad was talked about way more than the actual game.

My guess of what will happen? Time outs. The game will be much longer. Possibly up to 3 hours. The average NFL game when was a kid was 2 hours. Maybe a few minutes over but you could pretty much count on 2 hours. Now? Its near 3 hours. There are actually 'tv time outs' in pro games. TV effen time outs? What the hell is that?

With Americans controlling 3 of the biggest clubs in England, its probably too late to save it. I know what we do well. Monetizing. We can make money off stuff that would get laughed at. Who do you think found a way for people to make thousands with cat videos? Do you know why we even say the national anthem at NFL games? The U.S. military paid big money to the NFL to do it. When you are constantly waging wars overseas (we learned that from the Romans), its tough to get the poor urban blacks, poor latinos in barrios of east La and poor whites from Alabama to keep dying for Raytheon to sell guns. You need to glamorize 'serving your country' a bit by tying it to the 'All American sport'.

I loved the purity of football when I started watching it. American pro sports were polluted. I've seen football in England and in Europe slowly degenerate. It's sad. I felt like a kid again discovering football, specifically English football. The passion of the fans. The same passion I had for the Sixers. My day, even week was ruined if we lost to the Boston Celtics. I felt the same way losing to Man Utd. American friends would chastize me. "Why don't you love your own sports?" I said "My sports stopped loving me". The stories of life on the terraces, traveling to Yorkshire, Lancashire or even within London were pure and similar to American sports growing up.

It's changing now. Rich sugar daddies buying titles, buying history. Sad, sad if this all takes the course I think we are on. It will seem exciting at first but I guarantee you, if Kroenke, Glazer and John Henry (Liverpool) have their way you'll be seeing iPhone, Cadburys and HSBC adverts every 10 minutes when play has stopped. 3 hours later, you'll get your result, average goals scored will be 8 to 10 a game. Perhaps even very few draws as they may introduce shoot outs like the NHL after extra time.

So, which one is Arsenal in this 'Super League'?

Attachments:

Post #527679  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:16 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Why not, Rich, its the next logical step, as Bored said, in maximising profits.

I understand that, but I think the backlash from authorities and fans will be big enough to stop it. Talk of the authorities banning players from the national team and excluding them from their domestic league. So the super league clubs are left with just the super league fixtures each season. Fans will vote with their feet and we’ve seen what a lack of fans does to a clubs finances. It is now a case of who blinks first, the clubs who have formed this super league or the authorities who have threatened the ban for them in domestic leagues.

Post #527680  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:37 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

They will throw big money at players wages but where will the money come from? TV money I assume. The chances of me paying any extra money to watch us is zero. I don’t see why UEFA could not ask nations to ban clubs from their competition (EPL) if they sign up. It is just greedy people trying to make even more money out of the golden goose. We need to be really careful here as a club. They probably are trying to scam some other deal by doing this but frankly the club is a disgrace for being involved.

They may very well throw big money at players wages. But for all players at these clubs? What happens to such as the academies? If an academy player doesn’t make it into the first team then is he barred from going to a non-breakaway club?

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13189, 13190, 13191, 13192, 13193, 13194, 13195 ... 14269  Next