Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 130 guests

Post #536041  Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:19 am 

Pode wrote:
Highly rated? Maybe, but there wasn't a great clamour to have him on loan or a bidding war to buy him.

There wasn't a great clamour or bidding war to sign anyone this summer. Whatever happens with Saliba's future at Arsenal, there's no point in denying he's been very impressive in Ligue 1 for such a young player. Shortlisted for team of the season last year, and by all accounts has started this season in a very impressive way too. He's a huge talent for sure, and seeing as we've had guys like Holding and Pablo Mari playing a lot since the start of last season, it isn't that strange to see Arsenal fans intrigued by the prospect of Saliba being given a chance.

Post #536042  Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:08 pm 

Pode wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
I'd love to see for myself.

So watch Marseille.

I'd love to and see if I can get a feed for ligue un, but like a lot of things and a lot of players Arsenal are interested in that no one has seen other than youtube highlights, I'll trust the experts and fans that have. I'll trust the player ratings, the awards, the majority opinions of his playing very well.

Gooners are excited about a host of players no one has seen. I recall the buzz when we bought Reyes. No one saw him play on this forum as far as I recall. And there is a list.

Did Saliba take your parking spot once? :icon_mrgreen: joking of course. Just that I've rarely heard of any gooner with this much resistance to simply seeing him play for us in any capacity, including games like we had against Wimbledon where if he played badly we were so much better it wouldn't matter much.

Post #536043  Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:42 pm 

Read that Tuchel has only come from behind to win once as a Chelsea manager. He's kept a lot of clean sheets so probably hasn't had to come from behind many times but people are noticing a slight pattern. Quite a few 1-0 defeats in some big games.

Chelsea, City and Man U all getting various ups and downs in headlines while Liverpool quietly go about winning games with the exact same formula from the last 3 seasons

Post #536044  Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:08 pm 

Rich wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

The guy in red is at fault. The ball was properly cleared.

The player in red (Eric Lamella) was awarded the penalty for a foul by the Wolfsburg player in yellow

Yup, I know. That's why I felt it should not have been a penalty. Eric was at fault.

Post #536045  Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:12 pm 

Even if Holding and/or Mari is deemed better than Saliba, I fail to see a reason to loan him out to a non English club. If he was indeed in Arteta's future plans, would it not be better to try get him loan to an EPL club for the experience?
The other option is to have him stay to fight for his place. And get starts in the Carabao Cup.
My feel is that Arteta just does not want him in his team. And I think it has to do with personality/attitute, not footballing abilities.

Post #536046  Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:44 pm 

Ramsdale in the England Squad:
Southgate on Ramsdale: "Aaron was with us all summer so we had an opportunity to work with him & understand his strengths. The move to a club with high expectation & style of play of building from the back is an important factor for us. He has adapted well to that move"

Post #536047  Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:22 pm 

Anyone sick of the totally OTT praise of Ronaldo is getting from the media :58big-emoticons:

The commentary last night after he scored was hysterical, you’d have thought he parted the Red Sea. It’s a tap in folks.

Decent player but *%^@ me it’s getting vomit inducing

Post #536048  Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:19 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Pode wrote:
So watch Marseille.

I'd love to and see if I can get a feed for ligue un, but like a lot of things and a lot of players Arsenal are interested in that no one has seen other than youtube highlights, I'll trust the experts and fans that have. I'll trust the player ratings, the awards, the majority opinions of his playing very well.

Gooners are excited about a host of players no one has seen. I recall the buzz when we bought Reyes. No one saw him play on this forum as far as I recall. And there is a list.

Did Saliba take your parking spot once? :icon_mrgreen: joking of course. Just that I've rarely heard of any gooner with this much resistance to simply seeing him play for us in any capacity, including games like we had against Wimbledon where if he played badly we were so much better it wouldn't matter much.

I think Pode is right. Why would we need to see Saliba in action against Wimbledon if he's already shown that he's a pretty good - but not exceptional - central defender for St Etienne, Nice and Marseille?

Post #536049  Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:39 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Anyone sick of the totally OTT praise of Ronaldo is getting from the media :58big-emoticons:

The commentary last night after he scored was hysterical, you’d have thought he parted the Red Sea. It’s a tap in folks.

Decent player but *%^@ me it’s getting vomit inducing

Absolutely, I'm much more a Messi fan than Ronaldo, but it would be the same fawning if it was 'the little maestro' playing for City.

Robbie Savage last night was particularly vomit inducing, the way he builds it up and then growls the first few letters "of course.....it had to be.......RRROO-naldo!"

Post #536050  Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:10 pm 

See Özil has fell out of favour at Fenerbahce in a league he should be tearing it up in. Blokes probably let down the last 5 managers he’s had and has been stealing wage for years now. Our fans were slagging off Arteta for benching him and he can’t even perform in the Turkish league.

Post #536051  Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:28 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
See Özil has fell out of favour at Fenerbahce in a league he should be tearing it up in. Blokes probably let down the last 5 managers he’s had and has been stealing wage for years now. Our fans were slagging off Arteta for benching him and he can’t even perform in the Turkish league.

What a load of argumentative bollocks. Apart from the odd comment of "Maybe Özil could be useful in situation x" I doubt there is a person on this forum who didn't think it was a good idea to drop him or get rid of the lazy git.

Post #536052  Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:53 am 

[Tweet] https://twitter.com/outofcontextars/sta ... 12714?s=21[/Tweet]
Saliba looks ready for the physical side of things

Post #536053  Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:41 am 

Rich wrote:
[Tweet] https://twitter.com/outofcontextars/sta ... 12714?s=21[/Tweet]
Saliba looks ready for the physical side of things

I really hope Arteta gives him his chance next season. We need more players who do not allow the team to get bullied. Time to shelf away that soft-belly reputation.

Post #536054  Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:34 am 

grantyboy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

What a load of argumentative bollocks. Apart from the odd comment of "Maybe Özil could be useful in situation x" I doubt there is a person on this forum who didn't think it was a good idea to drop him or get rid of the lazy git.

Nope people were beating the manager up about it. You know nothing

Post #536055  Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:47 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

There were certainly fans out there in the big wide world who slagged off Arteta for dropping Özil, with various conspiracy theories, including one relating to Uighurs. On the other hand, I don't remember too many forum members getting the boot into Arteta about Özil. So, I'd say you're both right. Which is great.

Post #536056  Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:16 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

There were certainly fans out there in the big wide world who slagged off Arteta for dropping Özil, with various conspiracy theories, including one relating to Uighurs. On the other hand, I don't remember too many forum members getting the boot into Arteta about Özil. So, I'd say you're both right. Which is great.

No I’m right

Post #536057  Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:26 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I must admit I don’t recall anyone sticking the boot into Arteta about dropping Özil on this forum. OMOH certainly expressed his disappointment that Özil was being ignored, but his posting style is simply too conciliatory to say he was beating Arteta up about it. I’m sure it will have happened elsewhere, but I don’t think it did here which I’m sure was the reason for grantyboy’s post.

This is the single forum we all read, as we’re all members. There will presumably be members here that read other chat rooms, whereas there will also be members here who never look at those read by others. Perhaps Top Gun should have clarified that he was referring to people on other sites when saying Arsenal fans were slagging Arteta off for not playing Özil?

It was the same principle as Rich saying people had claimed Messi wouldn’t produce in the Premier League. You can find anything that’s been said by somebody somewhere. I pointed out to Rich that nobody here had made that claim about Messi, and he agreed with that.

Post #536058  Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:30 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

No I’m right

Are you saying people here (the Gleiber forum) have slagged off Arteta for dropping Özil? If so, who?

Post #536059  Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:29 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
No I’m right

Are you saying people here (the Gleiber forum) have slagged off Arteta for dropping Özil? If so, who?

Yes he was accused of ostracising Özil and I’d rather not name individual names because it’s an argument waiting to happen thanks.

Post #536060  Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:49 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Yes he was accused of ostracising Özil and I’d rather not name individual names because it’s an argument waiting to happen thanks.

Waiting?

:14laughter: :14laughter: :14laughter:

Post #536061  Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:33 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

An argument - your favourite thing Top Gun. By the way, you're wrong.

Post #536062  Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:15 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

An argument - your favourite thing Top Gun. By the way, you're wrong.

You’re the one arguing

Nope I’m right, use the search function a valuable tool.

Post #536063  Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:00 pm 

https://twitter.com/afcdw/status/144402 ... 06246?s=21

Balogun is far too good for the U23’s

Post #536064  Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:48 pm 

Sturridge was a decent striker. Only 32, not that old, wonder if he's still any good? How far he's fallen.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58758613

Post #536065  Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:51 pm 

Rich wrote:
https://twitter.com/afcdw/status/1444023473815306246?s=21

Nice skill but it's a dive!

Post #536066  Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:20 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Rich wrote:
https://twitter.com/afcdw/status/1444023473815306246?s=21

Nice skill but it's a dive!

Knee touching knee, not a dive
Arteta should give him some game time in the EPL again. He was out of sorts in the first few games, but so was the entire team. Give him his chance with the in-form team. He needs to rediscover his confidence for the bigger stage. There is a strong player in there.

Post #536067  Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:41 am 

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/arsenal ... ection-row

Story perhaps dramatised to sell story, although Arteta's response is very clear. Leno could be out in Jan.

Post #536068  Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:44 am 

Hoping City beats 'Pool to allay my annual undefeated issues.

Post #536069  Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:15 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Sturridge was a decent striker. Only 32, not that old, wonder if he's still any good? How far he's fallen.

Sturridge should do pretty well for Perth Glory. Mind you, all the greats end up playing for the West Australian club. Here's William Gallas in action for them in 2013, showing the locals the fine art of excellent defending:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOwWWZhml8U

Post #536070  Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:25 am 

I am looking forward to today's game. It will be a different kind of test to the Burnley game, Brighton are much more technical and like to play good football and at home can be a real handful. As well as being technically adept they also possess some powerful players who will make life difficult for us physically.

Thus, we need to impose ourselves both physically and technically to get a result today. It will be another chance to assess the credentials of this team going forward and where they are in their evolution.

Post #536071  Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:37 am 

socrates wrote:
I am looking forward to today's game. It will be a different kind of test to the Burnley game, Brighton are much more technical and like to play good football and at home can be a real handful. As well as being technically adept they also possess some powerful players who will make life difficult for us physically.

Thus, we need to impose ourselves both physically and technically to get a result today. It will be another chance to assess the credentials of this team going forward and where they are in their evolution.

In their last game they gave up a lot of chances and should have been well beaten but then pinched one at the end. Imperative that we concentrate from the start. I hope they can keep the run going.

Post #536072  Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:11 am 

One nil to the Arsenal will do nicely today :58big-emoticons:

Aubameyang to continue his goals resurgence

Post #536073  Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:39 am 

I wonder how he's doing. I recall when we got him. The Polish Vieira, not sure what happened with us. Injuries it seems.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/02/derby-county-owe-arsenal-8million-for-transfer-flop-signed-by-arsene-wenger-15352953/?ito=newsnow-feed

Struggling Derby County still owe Arsenal £8million for Krystian Bielik, a player they signed from the north London club two years ago.

Post #536074  Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:49 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Sturridge should do pretty well for Perth Glory. Mind you, all the greats end up playing for the West Australian club. Here's William Gallas in action for them in 2013, showing the locals the fine art of excellent defending:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOwWWZhml8U

Oops.

Post #536075  Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:37 pm 

Could be a big one this, a win away against a good Brighton side, and then we have two home games against opponents we should be able to beat.

Post #536076  Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:43 pm 

No Bissouma for Brighton today. He was a doubt and I was hoping he’d come up short

Post #536077  Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:29 pm 

:12hello-bye: :58big-emoticons: :26surprise: :21encouragement:

Post #536078  Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:35 pm 

Some proper English weather for this one. Come on Arsenal!!

Post #536079  Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:48 pm 

Not an easy game this, conditions and opposition.

To get out of here with a result would be massive

Post #536080  Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:51 pm 

Phew. Ramsdale got away with one there.

[ 571661 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13399, 13400, 13401, 13402, 13403, 13404, 13405 ... 14292  Next