Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 217 guests

Post #541081  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:34 am 

Prem wages league.
Accounts from last year mostly but it shows how we’ve reduced our wage bill hugely. We used to be up alongside Liverpool at least and not too far off the other big spenders

Attachments:

Post #541082  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:36 am 

Big 6 sponsorship deals.
The area we fall behind the rest is our shirt deal with Emirates. It is £40m per season but it includes the naming rights for the stadium and training kit sponsorship. Liverpool are getting £20m a season just for training kit sponsorship. City get £20m per season for stadium naming rights which is a bit harder to gauge because their deals are a bit dodgy.

Attachments:

Post #541083  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:27 am 

Rich wrote:
Big 6 sponsorship deals.
The area we fall behind the rest is our shirt deal with Emirates. It is £40m per season but it includes the naming rights for the stadium and training kit sponsorship. Liverpool are getting £20m a season just for training kit sponsorship. City get £20m per season for stadium naming rights which is a bit harder to gauge because their deals are a bit dodgy.

I’ll be glad to see the back of Emirates. I prefer short names on the shirts like JVC and O2. I suppose everyone looks on the Emirates as the stadium’s name. The point that we don’t have a common non-sponsor name like Old Trafford, Anfield, Stamford Bridge, (even the old ground commonly called Highbury was actually named Arsenal Stadium), it might take a while before people start thinking of it as whoever the new sponsors name might be rather than the Emirates.

Post #541084  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:46 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Unbelievable. Post match analysis of the Leeds game - Graeme Souness says what a good honest side Leeds are (fair enough) and then uses that as a basis to slag off Arsenal for calling off a game. Talk about a non sequitur. More anti-Arsenal rubbish.

Not that I care too much what other fans think of us, its a shame the current feeling about us. We are a remarkable story this season. It's a shame its not celebrated. We clawed our way from literally bottom after a month to serious top 4 contenders.

We really shouldn't expect Sounes and Carragher to be fair when it comes to The Arsenal anyway, its just a shame though nonetheless.

Post #541085  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:48 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
I think Guendouzi will still have to go there. The contractual situation of the obligation to buy was set prior to this ban. It’s the same kind of situation that allowed Chelsea to buy Kovacic despite their ban

Hope you’re wrong about that Rich, but that’s hope not expectation. I’d love to see Guendouzi back. I simply don’t believe he can be as big a troublemaker as his reputation suggests.

Doesn’t sound like Marseille think he’s a problem personality. As I’ve said, when the usual captain doesn’t play I read Guendouzi has been made their captain on a game by game basis.

Can’t recall if I’ve ever said this here, but my hairdresser has another customer who has worked at Arsenal in a relatively good job for quite a while. The hairdresser is a big up-front about it Arsenal fan and told me that his other customer told him that before Arteta arrived, Guendouzi was widely seen at Arsenal as a future club captain.

I find it difficult to believe he’s as difficult a character as his reputation suggests.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... dium=email

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... dium=email

Post #541086  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:02 am 

Bernard wrote:
...Can’t recall if I’ve ever said this here, but my hairdresser has another customer who has worked at Arsenal in a relatively good job for quite a while. The hairdresser is a big up-front about it Arsenal fan and told me that his other customer told him that before Arteta arrived, Guendouzi was widely seen at Arsenal as a future club captain...
My hairdresser, not having very much to do these days when I visit him, has a lot of time on his hands. While clippering the remains of what once was my Robert Plant but is now very Stevie Bould, he told me on good authority that Guendouzi is a right knut...Seems reasonable enough to me. Anything for the weekend squire?

Post #541087  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:27 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
...Can’t recall if I’ve ever said this here, but my hairdresser has another customer who has worked at Arsenal in a relatively good job for quite a while. The hairdresser is a big up-front about it Arsenal fan and told me that his other customer told him that before Arteta arrived, Guendouzi was widely seen at Arsenal as a future club captain...
My hairdresser, not having very much to do these days when I visit him, has a lot of time on his hands. While clippering the remains of what once was my Robert Plant but is now very Stevie Bould, he told me on good authority that Guendouzi is a right knut...Seems reasonable enough to me. Anything for the weekend squire?

What’s a knut? A housing estate in Knutsford?

Post #541088  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:40 am 

Bernard wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Scunthorpe....

Post #541089  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:55 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Scunthorpe....

Reminds me of the old joke. If Typhoo put the T in Britain then who put the …..

Post #541090  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:00 am 

What I don't get with all the outrage about the NLD being postponed is how much of it that seems to be aimed at Arsenal. Clubs don't decide to postpone games, all they do is apply and then the Premier League board reviews the application and makes a decision. We didn't make up the rules.

To me, blaming Arsenal is like blaming a club for getting a dubious penalty after VAR check - in that instance surely the criticism should be towards the VAR room or the ref because they're the ones actually making the call.

Post #541091  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:09 am 

That being said, I think the current rules are an absolute joke. No game should be cancelled because of one or two (or four) covid cases, the intent should be for every game that can be played to be played. We should've played yesterday, and the first leg against Liverpool should've gone on as planned. Feels like the league has painted themselves into a corner here with their interpretation of the rules.

Post #541092  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:20 am 

Come on Chaps. It’s pretty clear we’ve worked the system to our advantage and that’s why we’re catching flak. I know other clubs have done the same but that’s not an excuse. Sure we had plenty out to African absence, suspension and injury (though you’d question just how ‘injured’ some might’ve been), but only one for Covid. That’s really handy since without that single positive test, we wouldn’t have been allowed to request a postponement. With the benefit of that single positive test, the request passed the test and couldn’t be denied. The rules are there to help clubs whose squads are overwhelmed by Covid. Ours wasn't.

Post #541093  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:28 am 

DHD wrote:
The rules are there to help clubs whose squads are overwhelmed by Covid. Ours wasn't.

I agree with this in principle, but my point is that we didn't make the decision - the league could've denied our request if they didn't think the rules applied, but since our request was accepted it surely followed the same rules that applies to everyone else?

Like I said, my personal view is that the game should've been played (and I feel the same about many other cancelled games), but in the end all clubs will do what they believe are in their best interest.

Post #541094  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:29 am 

Anyway, it seems Pablo Mari is going to Udinese on loan for the rest of the season. Wonder if that will be mentioned in the context of us getting a game postponed...

Post #541095  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:30 am 

Hazuki wrote:
That being said, I think the current rules are an absolute joke. No game should be cancelled because of one or two (or four) covid cases, the intent should be for every game that can be played to be played. We should've played yesterday, and the first leg against Liverpool should've gone on as planned. Feels like the league has painted themselves into a corner here with their interpretation of the rules.

Agreed Haz.

There are always injuries at this time of the year. We have ours, Tottenham have theirs. Personally, I think the Totts are in a pretty chaotic state right at this moment and I was confident of a result, but if things went against us - tough. It happens in the game. Treat those two imposters just the same.

Post #541096  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:32 am 

DHD wrote:
Come on Chaps. It’s pretty clear we’ve worked the system to our advantage and that’s why we’re catching flak. I know other clubs have done the same but that’s not an excuse. Sure we had plenty out to African absence, suspension and injury (though you’d question just how ‘injured’ some might’ve been), but only one for Covid. That’s really handy since without that single positive test, we wouldn’t have been allowed to request a postponement. With the benefit of that single positive test, the request passed the test and couldn’t be denied. The rules are there to help clubs whose squads are overwhelmed by Covid. Ours wasn't.

Maybe but If you can’t backfill the player absences due to the u23s playing on the Friday what can you do?

You can either put a team out or you can’t. There’s no question we are hopelessly stretched

Post #541097  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:35 am 

Arsenal supposedly offering £50m plus Torriera for Vlahovic. I like these sorts of deals because Vlahovic's price will always be quoted as £50m, people always forget to add the player that went the other way, possibly because their price was never given.

The other strange one I read is Juve are willing to do business with us over Arthur Melo if we include Partey in the deal(!). We could of course offer them a counter proposal of swapping Pablo Mari for Dybala.....

Post #541098  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:42 am 

Hazuki wrote:
DHD wrote:
The rules are there to help clubs whose squads are overwhelmed by Covid. Ours wasn't.

I agree with this in principle, but my point is that we didn't make the decision - the league could've denied our request if they didn't think the rules applied, but since our request was accepted it surely followed the same rules that applies to everyone else?

Like I said, my personal view is that the game should've been played (and I feel the same about many other cancelled games), but in the end all clubs will do what they believe are in their best interest.

As I understand things, if there is a single verified case of Covid, the request passes the test and can't be refused. This is the statement:

"With Arsenal having fewer than the required number of players available for the match (13 outfield players and one goalkeeper), the board accepted the club's application. The decision is a result of a combination of COVID-19, existing and recent injuries and players on international duty at the Africa Cup of Nations."

Interestingly, they added this:
"...all clubs are able to apply for a postponement if COVID-19 infections are a factor in their request"

Post #541099  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:46 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Scunthorpe....

Aren’t you in the Dagenham area? If you use a hairdresser in Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire he or she must be a genius hair stylist. Unless of course you only go there to repeatedly see where Beverley Allitt committed her four murders, knowing how interested you are in serial killers. She did her crimes in Grantham, Lincolnshire. So it’s presumably convenient for you to visit Grantham on the way to Scunthorpe.

Post #541100  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:47 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:

Maybe but If you can’t backfill the player absences due to the u23s playing on the Friday what can you do?

You can either put a team out or you can’t. There’s no question we are hopelessly stretched

Fair point - we are stretched, but that's not a unique state at this point of the season. We used our single Covid case to our advantage so we shouldn't be surprised at the reaction.

Post #541101  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:52 am 

DHD wrote:
Fair point - we are stretched, but that's not a unique state at this point of the season. We used our single Covid case to our advantage so we shouldn't be surprised at the reaction.

Yeah, but at the same time Leicester only had two covid cases. And with a lot of the other postponed games we have no idea how many cases there actually was, because there is no transparency and the reason is stated in vague terms such as "a number of injuries and covid cases". For all we know that could've been six injuries and just one or two cases of covid.

Post #541102  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:56 am 

I've always liked Benitez and felt he and Wenger had a healthy respect for each other. Sadly, I doubt he'll ever see a top job any more. He'll make the rounds of the mid-ish table sides either in England or abroad. Maybe a national manager of a 2nd tier European side or a side in Asia or Africa.

He's not alone in that predicament. Raneiri and Mourinho are there as well. No sympathy from me for the latter. Mourinho has some sociopathic characteristics I think.

Post #541103  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:10 am 

Can't disguise that another reason this particular postponement pissed me off was because I'd been looking forward to this game for 2 seasons and I had a full day of jolly-boy fun and fine dining planned around it. But as I mentioned, many will have been far more inconvenienced than me. There's always Scandanavian, Irish and Asian contingents at these sorts of games. Last time I went to the old WHL, I walked from Seven Sisters and got chatting to a number of Tott supporters; one group had flown in from Israel and another from South Africa for the match. I have Gooner friends in the USA who had intended to come over. It's that sort of game.

Post #541104  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:21 am 

DHD wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I don’t think you can really look at it like that. If our game with wolves took place we would have been at full strength they would have been depleted at best and we seem to have been supporting the clubs making the postponements when they request them.

Then when we need help we can’t get it ? I mean how unfair is that.

We were missing all 3 right backs .. so what’s the suggestion ? We play a 17 year old or 18 year old who played on the Friday night and has never played with the first team? That would be beyond ludicrous and totally unfair

Post #541105  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:23 am 

DHD wrote:
Can't disguise that another reason this particular postponement pissed me off was because I'd been looking forward to this game for 2 seasons and I had a full day of jolly-boy fun and fine dining planned around it.

That's perfectly understandable. I'm really itching to get over and watch a game, but I'm going to wait until this is all well and truly over and there's no risk of games getting postponed. Sadly, that's very unlikely to be until next season at the earliest.

Post #541106  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:24 am 

DHD wrote:
Can't disguise that another reason this particular postponement pissed me off was because I'd been looking forward to this game for 2 seasons and I had a full day of jolly-boy fun and fine dining planned around it. But as I mentioned, many will have been far more inconvenienced than me. There's always Scandanavian, Irish and Asian contingents at these sorts of games. Last time I went to the old WHL, I walked from Seven Sisters and got chatting to a number of Tott supporters; one group had flown in from Israel and another from South Africa for the match. I have Gooner friends in the USA who had intended to come over. It's that sort of game.

Fine dining when you go to White Hart Lane? Is that the three Michelin Star Cockerel Kebab takeaway in Tottenham High Road, or the two Michelin Star Lillywhite Fish and Chips takeaway in Paxton Road?

Seriously, I do agree with you. I was fed up with the game being called off as well. Tottenham without Son are an ordinary team. I reckon we’d have beaten them.

Post #541107  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:36 am 

No passion either way about the NLD postponement, but if the guys who manage and coach our team felt it was necessary, then fine by me. They know more than we do. If we had played that game and taken a spanking, I imagine Arteta would also be taking a spanking now?

Post #541108  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:43 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:

I don’t think you can really look at it like that. If our game with wolves took place we would have been at full strength they would have been depleted at best and we seem to have been supporting the clubs making the postponements when they request them.

We were missing all 3 right backs .. so what’s the suggestion ? We play a 17 year old or 18 year old who played on the Friday night and has never played with the first team? That would be beyond ludicrous and totally unfair

Injuries happen. Always have. Play the cards you're dealt. Our squad should cope. How many players are out on loan?

And why not play a youngster? That's how youth breaks into the first team. It's what other teams have had to do. Or play someone more senior out of position at RB. It's not ludicrous and it's not unfair.

It's the African absentees who are at the root of this issue; it's a factor in many of the requests for postponements. If you want to avoid the problem, don't sign African payers. Our problem has been exacerbated by Xhaka's red card; is that unfair?

Post #541109  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:46 am 

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:

Fine dining when you go to White Hart Lane? Is that the three Michelin Star Cockerel Kebab takeaway in Tottenham High Road, or the two Michelin Star Lillywhite Fish and Chips takeaway in Paxton Road?

Seriously, I do agree with you. I was fed up with the game being called off as well. Tottenham without Son are an ordinary team. I reckon we’d have beaten them.

The fine dining was to happen a long way from Tottenham. If you want to eat well thereabouts, take a sandwich.

Spot on about Son, Bern. He's been head & shoulders their best player in recent games. With his absence, confidence was high.

Post #541110  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:17 pm 

DHD wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Injuries happen. Always have. Play the cards you're dealt. Our squad should cope. How many players are out on loan?

And why not play a youngster? That's how youth breaks into the first team. It's what other teams have had to do. Or play someone more senior out of position at RB. It's not ludicrous and it's not unfair.

It's the African absentees who are at the root of this issue; it's a factor in many of the requests for postponements. If you want to avoid the problem, don't sign African payers. Our problem has been exacerbated by Xhaka's red card; is that unfair?

Hi DHD, Arsenal literally did what every other club in the Premier League would have done in the same circumstances. It would have been weirdly self-destructive to do otherwise. I have to say, I wasn't that keen to see us lose 3-0 or 4-0 with a swag of our first-choice players missing. And, of course, Liverpool had made a similar decision a week earlier.

Post #541111  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:38 pm 

On February 13th we will have played two more games in the league - Burnley at home and Wolves away - unless there are more postponements. In that same period, Tottenham will have played four games - Leicester and Chelsea away, and then Southampton and Wolves at home. That means they will have caught up on their games in hand. We are currently two points ahead.

Will be very interesting to see where we stand at that point. If we win our two games (which we should) Tottenham need nine points from those four games to go past us in the table.

Post #541112  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:03 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:

Hi DHD, Arsenal literally did what every other club in the Premier League would have done in the same circumstances.

G'Day McQ

Sadly you're correct; I don't disagree but it doesn't make it right. The criteria for postponement has been stretched to the limit. Seems we asked for consideration of previous Covid tests to be taken into account saying they caused additional strain on the squad. This beefed up the case of the single instance of Covid.

But there were other routes open to us. We used the excuse of having one single positive Covid test to justify a postponement but we'd just shipped out Balogan and AMN in the previous couple of days. Both could've played on Sunday. More to the point, AMN is a very experienced RB so it's a bit rich to quote injuries in that position as justification.

Mari is offski in the next day or two - and btw, why couldn't he have played as an emergency RB? We're now 3 players down through loan deals and one more because of a red card. 4 more are in Africa. Whose fault is it that our squad is so depleted?

I suppose you can say that we deserve credit for making enough of a case for postponement, but it does seem a bit smart-arsey and over-egged. If players don't recover, can you see us asking for the Liverpool game to be postponed? I can. All it would take is another positive test....

Post #541113  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:09 pm 

Alex Song. Now I don't feel as bad as I did for him when he got booed.

https://www.facebook.com/566760030037879/posts/5381489598564874/?sfnsn=mo

Post #541114  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:16 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
Hi DHD, Arsenal literally did what every other club in the Premier League would have done in the same circumstances. It would have been weirdly self-destructive to do otherwise. I have to say, I wasn't that keen to see us lose 3-0 or 4-0 with a swag of our first-choice players missing. And, of course, Liverpool had made a similar decision a week earlier.

Agreed, albeit I do believe Liverpool did have players to play and they fudged up the 'false positives' excuse - as I suspect we could have wheeled out a few walking wounded if we were made to play.

As from next year the rules need to be changed to covid related absences only

Post #541115  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:20 pm 

Mari has gone to Udinese. We must see some incomings this window. Feels like we've but a lot of stock in the Arthur and Vlahovic deals, neither of which currently fill me with confidence that they'll go ahead

Post #541116  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:27 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
On February 13th we will have played two more games in the league - Burnley at home and Wolves away - unless there are more postponements. In that same period, Tottenham will have played four games - Leicester and Chelsea away, and then Southampton and Wolves at home. That means they will have caught up on their games in hand. We are currently two points ahead.

Will be very interesting to see where we stand at that point. If we win our two games (which we should) Tottenham need nine points from those four games to go past us in the table.

Hi Haz
Hopefully you are right in that we should win those 2 games but Wolves are in good form and its away.
Will be a tricky game but hopefully we will be near full strength for that.
No way Spurs are getting 9 points from those games.
That Leeds win yesterday was massive for us.
Stopped West ham going 5 points clear

Post #541117  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:53 pm 

Anti Vax loon in Arsenal top attempts to shut down vaccination centre with fake paperwork

If this *%^@ has a season ticket can we cancel it please

https://twitter.com/mohamme09073545/sta ... 64933?s=21

Post #541118  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:56 pm 

david.d wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Hi Haz
Hopefully you are right in that we should win those 2 games but Wolves are in good form and its away.
Will be a tricky game but hopefully we will be near full strength for that.
No way Spurs are getting 9 points from those games.
That Leeds win yesterday was massive for us.
Stopped West ham going 5 points clear

Wolves away will be tough. They're all but in binary scores at he moment, lots of 0-0 or 1-0 scorelines. Second meanest defence in the league I think. I can see Spurs getting a maximum of 7 points from their games - and they have harder games to come I think.

Can't count Man U or West Ham out of it. It is getting to that point now where you're celebrating every dropped point for any of those teams. I also start looking at those tougher fixtures they have as potential dropped points and get disappointed when a tough away game ends up as a win for them.

Post #541119  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:57 pm 

Burnley have requested their match with Watford is postponed. Lets gauge the media reaction, because after all Burnley's depleted squad is part self-inflicted by selling Chris Wood to Newcastle......

Post #541120  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:21 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
On February 13th we will have played two more games in the league - Burnley at home and Wolves away - unless there are more postponements. In that same period, Tottenham will have played four games - Leicester and Chelsea away, and then Southampton and Wolves at home. That means they will have caught up on their games in hand. We are currently two points ahead. Will be very interesting to see where we stand at that point. If we win our two games (which we should) Tottenham need nine points from those four games to go past us in the table.
I'd not take Wolves away for granted - if they don't lose this weekend to Brentford they will have gone six League matches undefeated by the time we meet them. A dangerous side.

[ 571660 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13525, 13526, 13527, 13528, 13529, 13530, 13531 ... 14292  Next