Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 103 guests

Post #550441  Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:35 pm 

Ten Hag needs time, we professed that for Arteta so the same must be true of ten Hag. There are endless similarities. Unbalanced squad, overpaid, underperforming, ageing. To an extent, the extent being an FA Cup win, Arteta bought himself time by finding a system (a back 3) which got some results. It was far from his preferred way of playing but it got a few results and allowed him to see who he could trust and who could cut it in our team.

Ronaldo is a huge problem for ten Hag, an Aubameyang size problem(?) I’m amazed they haven’t bought a ball playing defensive mid. They’ve chased de jong but he obviously has doubts about joining them, lower expectations and sign a slightly lesser player who you can mould in to the next de jong. I’d say drop de Gea but the back up is Tom Heaton! I’d say every single position on the pitch has problems for them

Post #550442  Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:53 pm 

If there is one area I think Arteta needs to sharpen up in I think its his use of substitutions. We've got some cracking players on the bench now and can use up to 5 subs so he needs to start giving them some game time. They need confidence and trust and match fitness too. We will need all of them once the midweek games start coming.

Post #550443  Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:28 pm 

Rich wrote:
Ten Hag needs time, we professed that for Arteta so the same must be true of ten Hag. There are endless similarities. Unbalanced squad, overpaid, underperforming, ageing. To an extent, the extent being an FA Cup win, Arteta bought himself time by finding a system (a back 3) which got some results. It was far from his preferred way of playing but it got a few results and allowed him to see who he could trust and who could cut it in our team.

Ronaldo is a huge problem for ten Hag, an Aubameyang size problem(?) I’m amazed they haven’t bought a ball playing defensive mid. They’ve chased de jong but he obviously has doubts about joining them, lower expectations and sign a slightly lesser player who you can mould in to the next de jong. I’d say drop de Gea but the back up is Tom Heaton! I’d say every single position on the pitch has problems for them

If United keep blaming the managers and getting new ones, it is fine by me!

Post #550444  Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:59 pm 

They should bounce back in their next home game: Liverpool

Post #550445  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:19 am 

socrates wrote:
If there is one area I think Arteta needs to sharpen up in I think its his use of substitutions. We've got some cracking players on the bench now and can use up to 5 subs so he needs to start giving them some game time. They need confidence and trust and match fitness too. We will need all of them once the midweek games start coming.

Morning Soc ... I had similar thoughts , Saka wasn't at his most effective , I'd have put Nketiah on 30 from the end .

Funny I think Jesus's burning desire to score the hat trick led to him abandoning his natural finishing if that makes any sense ... one through on the goalkeeper I'd have thought normally he would have chipped him .
Great performance the amount of chances he creates for himself is staggering , great role model for Nketiah , Martinelli Smith Rowe and Saka .

What was it 50 m for Madison 40 for Teilemanns ...? I'd stump up the extra 10 and buy the former ; thought his performance very impressive .

Post #550446  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:07 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

:laughing7: after watching the Brentford highlights I was thinking first two games have been against minnows they must be due some stern opposition
.... and here we have it ; their worst nightmare , a high quality team that hates them .

Their home advantage nullified Liverpool and Man City don't care whether they play Man U home or away these days ; Old Trafford no longer the daunting citadel it was under Ferguson .

Lose that one , next up it's a stinky little trip to the South Coast to face Southampton who can be a burr under anyone's saddle on their day .

Four games in zero points ..what a mouth watering prospect ....... shouldn't laugh something sh**ty might happen to us

How United would love a pleasant coach to somewhere like Carrow Road next week to rebuild their shattered confidence .

How wayward is Bruno Fernandez's shooting he's like Thomas Partey on steroids .

Post #550447  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:26 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

:laughing7: after watching the Brentford highlights I was thinking first two games have been against minnows they must be due some stern opposition
.... and here we have it ; their worst nightmare , a high quality team that hates them .

Their home advantage nullified Liverpool and Man City don't care whether they play Man U home or away these days ; Old Trafford no longer the daunting citadel it was under Ferguson .

Lose that one , next up it's a stinky little trip to the South Coast to face Southampton who can be a burr under anyone's saddle on their day .

Four games in zero points ..what a mouth watering prospect ....... shouldn't laugh something sh**ty might happen to us

How United would love a pleasant coach to somewhere like Carrow Road next week to rebuild their shattered confidence .

How wayward is Bruno Fernandez's shooting he's like Thomas Partey on steroids .

On the net there’s all these people blaming the Owners for not investing. How much did Ronaldo cost per year. They were all high fiving when they signed him and they have spent a lot of money in the last 5 years. Just like us it was not spent wisely. If I didn’t despise them so much I could give a f…. There fans remain self entitled but players are reluctant to head to such a mess. I hope we get 10 more years of it.

Post #550448  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:32 am 

Rich wrote:
Arteta spoke about the fans and their reaction after Saliba scored the own goal, the fans cheered him and Arteta said he’d never seen anything like it before and it hugely helped Saliba.

The fans have Tielemans a big cheer when he was subbed, he must want the move I’m sure, so that would have been great for him.

Post #550449  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:08 am 

I’ve heard a few sound bites from Ralph Rangnick recently, he was bought to Man U to be the director of football and oversee the rebuild and recruitment…..but they gave him the boot because of half a season of mixed results as their manager - a job he wasn’t even lined up to do.

When they got Rangnick I thought they’ve finally made a good decision

Post #550450  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:25 am 

kiwipete wrote:
socrates wrote:

Morning Soc ... I had similar thoughts , Saka wasn't at his most effective , I'd have put Nketiah on 30 from the end .

Funny I think Jesus's burning desire to score the hat trick led to him abandoning his natural finishing if that makes any sense ... one through on the goalkeeper I'd have thought normally he would have chipped him .
Great performance the amount of chances he creates for himself is staggering , great role model for Nketiah , Martinelli Smith Rowe and Saka .

What was it 50 m for Madison 40 for Teilemanns ...? I'd stump up the extra 10 and buy the former ; thought his performance very impressive .

Greetings Kiwi. Arteta is understandably a bit cautious about changing things when we are only a goal or two up. However, the bench is so good now that the rewards outweigh the risks. So hopefully we will gradually see earlier substitutes. On your last point, I guess it depends on what sort of midfielder we think we need.

Post #550451  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:11 am 

Question for the forum. What is it that you think has changed in the Kronke's in the past couple of years that has seen them seemingly take a sudden change in the amount of effort, interest and expenditure in the club?

We now have Josh very much front and centre and coming across as intelligent, likeable, clear thinking and certainly invested from top to bottom.

Post #550452  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:17 am 

It was fascinating to see how far forward Xhaka was getting yesterday. He had the header tat hit the post, he was in the box for the short assist for Jesus' opening, in the box again for his tap in.

He's had a good start to the season carrying on some excellent performances at the back end of last season.

Post #550453  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:41 am 

Rich wrote:
Question for the forum. What is it that you think has changed in the Kronke's in the past couple of years that has seen them seemingly take a sudden change in the amount of effort, interest and expenditure in the club?

We now have Josh very much front and centre and coming across as intelligent, likeable, clear thinking and certainly invested from top to bottom.

They were probably unwilling to pour money into the club before. Who can blame them? They've gradually figured out a good business model.

I also think it is a matter of fans' perceptions. People were pretty determined to dislike Stan and that takes a lot to shift ... There was massive cognitive dissonance last season with all the money being spent.

Post #550454  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:52 am 

Rich wrote:

Good question. I wonder if it could be the overtaking of Arsenal by Chelsea as London’s biggest club. Look, I think there are various factors that translate into how big a club is. Worldwide fan base size, the stadium and filling it, well known players (look at the impact of Best and Beckham on Manchester United’s fame), a club’s wealth, newsworthiness, history and trophies.

There are no doubt others too, but rather than looking at the factors separately they are linked. For example, a very obvious overlap is that of trophies and fan base size. Prior to Abramovich Arsenal had a bigger fan base than Chelsea. That’s no longer the case and they’ve comfortably overtaken us. Believe it or not we still have more trophies (albeit not the biggest, the Champion’s League, that Chelsea have won twice). But Chelsea’s success is much more recent than Arsenal’s. That is vital in attracting new fans. Arsenal’s success in the 1930’s won’t drive our fan base upwards, apart from people like my dad making his children fans and me doing the same with mine.

It is recent success that is most important. As an example, Machester United always had a much bigger fan base than City. They still do. But I’m convinced City have closed the gap since their takeover.

Arsenal will surely have people that realise the crossover between success and fan base size. Venkatesham I would imagine, maybe even Sanllehi before him. I reckon they would have pointed out to Josh that relationship and he’d have told Stan. Because the bigger a club’s fan base size, the more sponsorship, merchandising and commercial revenues it will attract.

From that, I honestly feel Stan will have been convinced about the importance of Arsenal enjoying success on the pitch. He will have more business acumen in a strand of hair from his wig (let alone little finger) than the rest of us. You don’t accumulate the vast fortune he has without it. As a result, he’s now ‘putting his hand in his pocket’ to enable it, as he’ll be motivated to make Arsenal a good investment. I’d like to think Josh will also enjoy seeing Arsenal have success on the pitch, if we do. That’s what I reckon anyway.

Post #550455  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:02 am 

https://youtu.be/nhsWrkP7h88

This was Neville and Carragher dedicating a lot of time to criticism of Be. white after one game at Brentford.

The image is both of them dancing along and laughing with the celebrating Brentford fans after the game.

They were obviously critical of Man U yesterday but we didn’t see anything like this critique of Martinez who got hauled off at half time and couldn’t beat a standing Ben Mee to a header to prevent the 3rd goal. And we didn’t see the disrespect of joyously celebrating with Brentford fans - of course not because Neville is Man U through and through but he’s far too biased and clouded in his views of them now to objectively commentate on them…..and at points last year I think he went far too far the other way commentating on us. His famous comments saying ‘I can’t see what the plan is, what the direction is’ were utterly bizarre as it was clear to everyone else what the plan was

Attachments:

Post #550456  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:05 am 

Having a cheeky pre-match beer on the concourse when Sir Kier Starmer walked past.

Post #550457  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:09 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Good question. I wonder if it could be the overtaking of Arsenal by Chelsea as London’s biggest club. Look, I think there are various factors that translate into how big a club is. Worldwide fan base size, the stadium and filling it, well known players (look at the impact of Best and Beckham on Manchester United’s fame), a club’s wealth, newsworthiness, history and trophies.

There are no doubt others too, but rather than looking at the factors separately they are linked. For example, a very obvious overlap is that of trophies and fan base size. Prior to Abramovich Arsenal had a bigger fan base than Chelsea. That’s no longer the case and they’ve comfortably overtaken us. Believe it or not we still have more trophies (albeit not the biggest, the Champion’s League, that Chelsea have won twice). But Chelsea’s success is much more recent than Arsenal’s. That is vital in attracting new fans. Arsenal’s success in the 1930’s won’t drive our fan base upwards, apart from people like my dad making his children fans and me doing the same with mine.

It is recent success that is most important. As an example, Machester United always had a much bigger fan base than City. They still do. But I’m convinced City have closed the gap since their takeover.

Arsenal will surely have people that realise the crossover between success and fan base size. Venkatesham I would imagine, maybe even Sanllehi before him. I reckon they would have pointed out to Josh that relationship and he’d have told Stan. Because the bigger a club’s fan base size, the more sponsorship, merchandising and commercial revenues it will attract.

From that, I honestly feel Stan will have been convinced about the importance of Arsenal enjoying success on the pitch. He will have more business acumen in a strand of hair from his wig (let alone little finger) than the rest of us. You don’t accumulate the vast fortune he has without it. As a result, he’s now ‘putting his hand in his pocket’ to enable it, as he’ll be motivated to make Arsenal a good investment. I’d like to think Josh will also enjoy seeing Arsenal have success on the pitch, if we do. That’s what I reckon anyway.

Do you think it is any factor that his other ‘projects’ have succeeded? He built the amazing Rams stadium, they won the super bowl, I think his ice hockey team won the Stanley Cup recently(?) perhaps now Arsenal is the one to take his focus?
I don’t know enough about his American teams and the money generated but I think the teams he won with invested in a young progressive coach and players. I’d assume there is still more money in the biggest American sports than football but football is certainly more global and perhaps Kronke wants to or sees football becoming even bigger in America (it is already huge in the womens game).

What’s more important to Kronke? Making money? Or the prestige of winning? The latter one assumes also gives the former, but the former is probably easier to do if you already own a big and stable club like Arsenal

Post #550458  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:58 am 

Did anyone else notice the change in the screens at the ground yesterday?
We now show the game as it happens and also replays, with the two teams either side of the picture
Something else they showed yesterday, that they haven’t before, was the penalty incident; not while the VAR check was ongoing, but straight after the decision had been overturned.
It was truly a shocking dive with zero contact based on the replay they showed on the screens; I’ve noticed that the majority of the papers and a few posters here refer to “minimal contact”. Is there a camera angle that showed any contact?

Post #550459  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:12 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Do you think it is any factor that his other ‘projects’ have succeeded? He built the amazing Rams stadium, they won the super bowl, I think his ice hockey team won the Stanley Cup recently(?) perhaps now Arsenal is the one to take his focus?
I don’t know enough about his American teams and the money generated but I think the teams he won with invested in a young progressive coach and players. I’d assume there is still more money in the biggest American sports than football but football is certainly more global and perhaps Kronke wants to or sees football becoming even bigger in America (it is already huge in the womens game).

What’s more important to Kronke? Making money? Or the prestige of winning? The latter one assumes also gives the former, but the former is probably easier to do if you already own a big and stable club like Arsenal

I think his other projects beginning to succeed may well come into the equation. But for years I was hearing that none of his American teams had much success. His ownership philosophy has appeared to have changed. However, that may well be as linked to making money as much as the prestige of winning because they go hand in hand.

Of all his teams, I am confident Arsenal have by far the biggest worldwide fan base and therefore global appeal. If you asked kids across the world to name an Arsenal player or LA Rams player, I’d be astonished if a lot more couldn’t name an Arsenal player.

So which is more important, (a) prestige from winning or (b) making money? With (a) leading to (b), for Stan I suspect it’s (b). For Josh it may well be (a). Pure guesswork either way, of course.

Post #550460  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:15 am 

HoddGooner wrote:
We now show the game as it happens and also replays, with the two teams either side of the picture
Something else they showed yesterday, that they haven’t before, was the penalty incident; not while the VAR check was ongoing, but straight after the decision had been overturned.
It was truly a shocking dive with zero contact based on the replay they showed on the screens; I’ve noticed that the majority of the papers and a few posters here refer to “minimal contact”. Is there a camera angle that showed any contact?

Yes I did Hodd.

Post #550461  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:21 am 

Logically, I should want a draw in the derby today, but I'll go with Chelsea...cough...spit...because I consider Tottenham to be the much bigger threat this season.

I am also very fearful Aubameyang will be huge for Chelsea. He was very productive for a time with us and after his slump he's been very productive in Spain and I don't see why he wouldn't be for Chelsea, especially since he doesn't need any adjustment period.

I think our attack is the best its been for a while and our defense is solid comparatively to most clubs in the league. Our midfield is good and while I think Partey is doing a fine job, I would like to see us have another good defensive midfielder behind him in the pecking order.

Jesus is a joy to have and watch but then again, he's from City. They, like Barca, buy great attackers for fun and usually can't accommodate them. Ødegaard is a fine, fine midfielder and if given minutes would have done very well in Spain as he does with us but you just can't be good or even very good at Real Madrid or Barcelona. City is like that, PSG as well. And now to some extent Liverpool.

I also don't expect us to be undefeated by the time we face Man Utd. No team wins the matches they 'should' . Points get dropped unexpectedly all the time. Always has, always will and we are no different. I hope we win all the games till then but I won't be shocked if we don't.

Post #550462  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:30 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I also don't expect us to be undefeated by the time we face Man Utd. No team wins the matches they 'should' . Points get dropped unexpectedly all the time. Always has, always will and we are no different. I hope we win all the games till then but I won't be shocked if we don't.

Not 'always has'.

But setting that aside, does this mean you are not going to worry about City or Liverpool going unbeaten this season?

Post #550463  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:20 am 

HoddGooner wrote:

Yes Hodd. They're obviously new screens but the way they've organized the display is pretty pants if you sit some way away, as I do. 'My' screen is in the NW corner - I can only see the bottom half of the one in the SE corner. I'm in the West Stand upper just beyond the halfway line, maybe 50m away so there will be plenty far further away than me.

They've split the screen into three with the central section showing live action - but it's only the central portion of a wide-screen image, if you get my meaning, with the outer thirds cropped out. Team line-ups are either side of this partial image, but to make the space, they've reduced the size of the lettering so I can no longer read the team line-ups - and I've got pretty good eyesight. Big fail for me.

Also, did anyone notice the quality of the sound in the stadium? Again, I ain't deaf but I could hardly hear the announcements or the music.

Post #550464  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:23 am 

Man U only need to look at us for what a rebuild takes.....and we're nowhere near the finished article.

When Arteta took over we had a 30 man senior squad (including Saliba and Emile Smith Rowe - neither of whom really played in that first season for Arteta). In 3 seasons 17 have come in and 17 have moved on permanently (Willian being in both columns)

Of the 17 I'd say there are:
8 definite hits: Partey, Gabriel, White, Ødegaard, Ramsdale, Tomiyasu, Jesus, Zinchenko (some may say too early to judge the last two)
4 definite misses: Mari, Willian, Runarsson, Cédric
and 5 we need more time to judge, Tavares, Lokonga, Vieira, Turner, Marquinos

Only 13 remain from that original 30 man squad remain, and 4 of those (Bellerin, AMN, Pépé, Nelson) would be off by now if we had a decent offer.

If you did a like for like of what we've bought vs what we've shifted it is quite remarkable:
Leno v Ramsdale
Martinez v Turner
Macey v Runarsson
Sokratis v Gabriel
Mustafi v White
Luiz v Mari
Chambers v Tomiyasu
Kolasinac v Zinchenko
Mavropanos v Tavares
Mkhitaryan v Ødegaard
Torreira v Partey
Özil v Vieira
Guendouzi v Lokonga
Aubameyang v Jesus

That is how you take a team in free fall and totally turn it around to a team that has a bright future

Post #550465  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:26 am 

DHD wrote:
Anyone know the story about the group of black-clad ‘ultras’ crammed in, two-to-a-seat at the front under the clock? Maybe 50-80 of them. Not kids. Standing, very loud and animated throughout.

Must be club-sponsored and it really worked. Lifted the place.

These are the guys - clearly Gooners but mostly dressed in black tee-shirts. Right behind the Clock end goal.

Attachments:

Post #550466  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:29 am 

Very loud and always involved. Proper 'singing section'.

Attachments:

Post #550467  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:35 am 

By the way Martinelli had Fofana on toast yesterday. The same Fofana that Chelsea are ready to spend £80m on. I think Fofana is a decent player but it shows what the market can do when you've put your eggs in one basket and seem desperate. Makes the business we've done over the last 2 summers look even better.

jesus, Zinchenko, Tomiyasu, Ødegaard, Ramsdale, Gabriel - is 6 players in to the starting 11 at an average of £27m a player is very good.
There are more expensive guys like White and Partey, but then there is also the combined £6m for Martinelli, Saka, Emile Smith Rowe and Nketiah.

Smart business

Post #550468  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:08 pm 

Rich wrote:
By the way Martinelli had Fofana on toast yesterday. The same Fofana that Chelsea are ready to spend £80m on. I think Fofana is a decent player but it shows what the market can do when you've put your eggs in one basket and seem desperate. Makes the business we've done over the last 2 summers look even better.

jesus, Zinchenko, Tomiyasu, Ødegaard, Ramsdale, Gabriel - is 6 players in to the starting 11 at an average of £27m a player is very good.
There are more expensive guys like White and Partey, but then there is also the combined £6m for Martinelli, Saka, Emile Smith Rowe and Nketiah.

Smart business

Just goes to show how a sustained period of wasting money can focus the mind.

Unless you are Barcelona of course.

Post #550469  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:12 pm 

Rich wrote:

What on Earth makes Cédric a definite miss? A free transfer and as a back up reserve, has he ever let us down?

Post #550470  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:14 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

What on Earth makes Cédric a definite miss? A free transfer and as a back up reserve, has he ever let us down?

Agreed. A decent squad player who always did his best.

Post #550471  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:18 pm 

Man u’s last 7 away games, 7 defeats, 21 goals conceded, 2 scored.

Even at our lowest I don’t think we were ever that bad

Post #550472  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:20 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Fair point, I did wonder where to put him and it felt maybe too harsh being a miss, but he’s not a hit.
I think I just felt that whilst he hasn’t ‘let us down’ his quality is quite a bit lower than Tomiyasu and losing our full backs was a big reason why we didn’t get too 4.

Post #550473  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:23 pm 

Chuba Akpom (remember him) just scored for Middlesbrough in the championship.
I would rate Cédric a successful transfer all things considered.

Post #550474  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:05 pm 

Rich wrote:

Stan sees winning as secondary, even tertiary. Josh wants to win as much as be profitable. I would surmise he is of the camp that sees winning will eventually mean more profits (merchandising, ticket sales).

When he has been put in charge of his dad's teams, he's actually tried to win.

Post #550475  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:16 pm 

I see Piers Morgan has tweeted ‘I’m trusting the process #Arteta’

I can’t think of many people I wish weren’t Arsenal fans more than him. He’s been so critical of Arteta and hugely supporting of Aubameyang and other players Arteta has cast aside. I don’t like this sort of fan, doom and gloom telling everyone ‘I told you so’ all the time if you don’t win every single game and then jump on to celebrate the good moments.

Post #550476  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:29 pm 

Cheering a little bit for Chelsea today, because I think Tottenham can become really dangerous if they get off to a good start. Think Tottenham wins this though, just have a feeling of a shock result for Chelsea who seem disjointed and with bad energy all around the club.

Post #550477  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:38 pm 

Kane gets away with a clear yellow. It’s criminal and self perpetuating….every time he gets away with one he’s more likely to get away with the next one.
The exact opposite for Xhaka

Post #550478  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:49 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Cheering a little bit for Chelsea today, because I think Tottenham can become really dangerous if they get off to a good start. Think Tottenham wins this though, just have a feeling of a shock result for Chelsea who seem disjointed and with bad energy all around the club.

Jinx!

Post #550479  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:52 pm 

I don't really get Tuchel's insistence of playing a back five. They have the personell for a very good back four - James is one of the best right backs in the league, Thiago Silva and Koulibaly are excellent central defenders and both Chilwell and Cucurella are very good on the left. Their collection of central midfielders are among the best in Europe in my opinion, and with a combination of three of Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic and Gallagher they should be able to win the midfield battle against most teams and provide better support for their misfiring attackers.

Post #550480  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:08 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
I don't really get Tuchel's insistence of playing a back five. They have the personell for a very good back four - James is one of the best right backs in the league, Thiago Silva and Koulibaly are excellent central defenders and both Chilwell and Cucurella are very good on the left. Their collection of central midfielders are among the best in Europe in my opinion, and with a combination of three of Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic and Gallagher they should be able to win the midfield battle against most teams and provide better support for their misfiring attackers.

Saying all that, and don’t forget Mount, Havertz and Sterling, I’m a little surprised you earlier said “Cheering a little bit for Chelsea today”. Myself, I think the best result for Arsenal would be a draw so they both drop points. So I hope Tottenham equalise.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13759, 13760, 13761, 13762, 13763, 13764, 13765 ... 14269  Next