Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:57 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 97 guests

Post #547841  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 12:12 pm 

john1 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Rather looking forward to it.

I’m going for a Mediterranean meal with the lads first then trying to beat John’s record number of pints watching it round town

Stick to the Guinness. Thats what I did. Good luck

Failure I’m afraid

Possibly About 8 or 9 assorted lagers I vaguely reckon, wolfed down with the following… meze, mixed Greek grill, 2 packets of crisps, 1 packet of space invaders, a cheese an onion roll from the boozer and a chicken chow mein at about midnight when I should have known better

Post #547842  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 1:00 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
john1 wrote:

Failure I’m afraid

Possibly About 8 or 9 assorted lagers I vaguely reckon, wolfed down with the following… meze, mixed Greek grill, 2 packets of crisps, 1 packet of space invaders, a cheese an onion roll from the boozer and a chicken chow mein at about midnight when I should have known better

Sounds ‘different’. Good luck with that. :laughing7:

Post #547843  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 1:22 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Actually the policing from the French for our cup winners cup final there was a bit mental too if I recall. They tried to lock our fans in after the game if I remember and it led to a group of fans bashing the gate open.

I remember walking past a huge platoon of armed French policeman on the way out. Seemed unreal

Every time I’ve been to Paris involves arsenal losing a football match

Perhaps English supporters have a reputation?

Post #547844  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 1:26 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
john1 wrote:

Failure I’m afraid

Great effort :53big-emoticons:

Post #547845  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 1:27 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Actually the policing from the French for our cup winners cup final there was a bit mental too if I recall. They tried to lock our fans in after the game if I remember and it led to a group of fans bashing the gate open.

I remember walking past a huge platoon of armed French policeman on the way out. Seemed unreal

Every time I’ve been to Paris involves arsenal losing a football match

Not sure about that. How much aggro have our teams caused recently.

Might be racism. Possibly racist towards the English.

Post #547846  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 1:31 pm 

Despite the stats Liverpool should have lost 2-0 so that's that. So called best team in europe lost. So called best team in England didnt win the league. They won the fa cup and league cup. Well done.

I like this Liverpool team and how they play but *%^@ off to the media in the circle jerk.

Post #547847  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 1:32 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Not sure about that. How much aggro have our teams caused recently.

Might be racism. Possibly racist towards the English.

Almost certainly but stereotypes can often be mistaken for racism.

Perhaps some English fans abroad have left an impression on People.

Post #547848  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 1:36 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Failure I’m afraid

The crucial question is what flavour were the crisps? My own favourite flavour is the Marmite crisps that Walkers do.

Post #547849  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 1:39 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Failure I’m afraid

The crucial question is what flavour were the crisps? My own favourite flavour is the Marmite crisps that Walkers do.

There were 2 packets so I would hope that marmite and a late night salt n vinegar were had.

Post #547850  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 1:43 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
I like this Liverpool team and how they play but *%^@ off to the media in the circle jerk.

That’s basically why I can’t stand Liverpool. I find the media’s worship of them bloody stomach churning. I find their (or Klopp’s) style of football more entertaining than Guardiola’s. But I was delighted when City won the title, as I was when Real beat them yesterday.

Post #547851  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 1:43 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Failure I’m afraid

I can’t remember I’m sorry, it wasn’t traditional so it was something like chorizo or something. Quite nice

Even madder was eating the pre made cheese rolls on the counter of a dodgy looking boozer.

Don’t know why but we just kept eating and eating last night. I suppose half a dozen or so lagers does that.

Post #547852  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 1:50 pm 

After many decades of watching football I find the laws slipping away from me. I used to understand the offside law but no longer.

The Benzema disallowance baffled me last night. It seemed that a Liverpool player had played it through to him thus making it onside.

But no…according to the official Laws of the Game:
"A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent."

So as it turns out the key word is deliberate. So the referee/VAR has to be a mind reader then.

It’s right up there with the handball nonsense.

Post #547853  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:01 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
After many decades of watching football I find the laws slipping away from me. I used to understand the offside law but no longer.

The Benzema disallowance baffled me last night. It seemed that a Liverpool player had played it through to him thus making it onside.

"A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent."

So as it turns out the key word is deliberate. So the referee/VAR has to be a mind reader then.

What player ever ‘deliberately’ plays the ball to an opponent?

Post #547854  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:02 pm 

Rangnick is not taking up his consultancy role at Man U. So they bought him in as a temp manager, which isn’t his strong point, and now he leaves before he starts the role he is good at and was intended for!

Post #547855  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:03 pm 

Apparently Mané has decided he’s leaving Liverpool. Bayern are the strongest linked team. If Gnabry is leaving Bayern that all makes perfect sense as a replacement.

Post #547856  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:05 pm 

My evenings silliness aside on a footballing level I did find myself wondering what might have been if wenger had managed to convince Benzema to join us those few years ago when he was potentially leaving, a quality player without question that would have had a major impact.

We’ve missed a talismanic type player for so long, really it might have galvanised us at that point.

For this reason I’m not sure if Gabriel Jesus is the one. He will improve us indefinitely and if it’s him he will do a good job but it doesn’t strike me as the ruthless winner that we need

And Vinicius wouldn’t go amiss either

Post #547857  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:06 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

You are right,
I genuinely think there’s several deliberate interpretations of the rules so that the refs can make it up as they go along.

Post #547858  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:22 pm 

Rich wrote:
Rangnick is not taking up his consultancy role at Man U. So they bought him in as a temp manager, which isn’t his strong point, and now he leaves before he starts the role he is good at and was intended for!

Probably for the best for Man U. It was never going to work well was it? I can’t imagine that ten Hag would pay him much attention.

Post #547859  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:35 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Probably for the best for Man U. It was never going to work well was it? I can’t imagine that ten Hag would pay him much attention.

Well most big clubs now operate with a director of football who deals with transfers and the overall long term vision and philosophy of the club - kind of irrespective of who the manager is. Man U haven't had this and is a huge reason they are in the mess they're in because they chopped and changed manager's so quickly giving each of them a war chest to shape the squad how they wanted which left a collection of players bought by 4 or so different managers each with a different view on how they want the game played.

Post #547860  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:47 pm 

Rich wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Well most big clubs now operate with a director of football who deals with transfers and the overall long term vision and philosophy of the club - kind of irrespective of who the manager is. Man U haven't had this and is a huge reason they are in the mess they're in because they chopped and changed manager's so quickly giving each of them a war chest to shape the squad how they wanted which left a collection of players bought by 4 or so different managers each with a different view on how they want the game played.

True. But I’m not convinced that a just failed manager is going to be the right fit for that role.

Post #547861  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 5:05 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Failure I’m afraid

We don't get marmite here, let alone marmite flavoured crisps, any more. Very sad.

Post #547862  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 5:46 pm 

I see Jon Miss has signed off his refereeing career in style in the richest game in football the Championship play off. Paul Tierney on VAR playing his part as well - we still have to suffer him next season

Post #547863  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 7:33 pm 

Forest in the prem for next year. Glad they came up instead of Huddersfield for the only reason that it’s been ages since they were in the league and I like it when it’s mixed up a bit.

What’s the betting we are away to Forest on a Friday night for the first game of the new season?

Post #547864  Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 2:38 am 

Congrats to Ceballos, ECL and La Liga winner since leaving Arsenal

Post #547865  Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 2:41 am 

Rich wrote:
Forest in the prem for next year. Glad they came up instead of Huddersfield for the only reason that it’s been ages since they were in the league and I like it when it’s mixed up a bit.

What’s the betting we are away to Forest on a Friday night for the first game of the new season?

The new "Brentford" next season?

Post #547866  Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 3:26 am 

This article was online about Leno
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... -Leno.html

So we are asking 8.5mil and are having trouble getting that.

Post #547867  Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 6:10 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

One of the newly promoted teams could do much worse than signing him up as their #1.

Post #547868  Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 6:42 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Rich wrote:

The new "Brentford" next season?

Must admit I’m not pleased at all that Forest came up instead of Huddersfield. I’ve made the trek to Nottingham loads of times to see us play them and seen us lose quite a few of them, if not ‘lots’ of them. I didn’t go to the FA Cup game this season (I suppose it’s now ‘last’ season), but it cost us one of the two semi-realistic chances we had of lifting a trophy.

What reason would an Arsenal fan have to dislike Huddersfield? They beat us at their ground in the 1970/71 season, but we still won the title so who cares? Indeed, had we not lost at Huddersfield perhaps the title clincher at White Hart Lane would not have been so dramatic? I don’t recall losing a game to Huddersfield that I now see as particularly important.

Huddersfield are close neighbours (in a different but nearby location sort of way like Newcastle and Sunderland) to Leeds and since I’ve been following football have always been deeply in their shadow. Their fans will no doubt dislike Leeds, and that makes them okay by me. So do I. Indeed, I’d have much preferred Leeds to go down than Burnley. I still remember seeing Don Revie’s brilliant but violent Leeds side beat us in two cup finals (the 1968 League Cup and 1972 FA Cup). Huddersfield again being Yorkshire’s representative in the Premier League rather than Leeds would have amused me.

Post #547869  Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 7:00 am 

grantyboy wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

One of the newly promoted teams could do much worse than signing him up as their #1.

I’d go way further than saying one of the newly promoted clubs. If I was listing the best Arsenal keepers I’ve seen, Leno would be closer to the top than Fabianski who is West Ham’s first choice.

Post #547870  Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 8:00 am 

There is two markets for selling players, selling them abroad and selling them to a Prem club. Our best recent sales have all been to Prem clubs. Willock, Iwobi, Even Walcott and Ox were good sales.

Post #547871  Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 8:07 am 

Rich wrote:
There is two markets for selling players, selling them abroad and selling them to a Prem club. Our best recent sales have all been to Prem clubs. Willock, Iwobi, Even Walcott and Ox were good sales.

Yes but convincing a German that he may be better off in the UK may be a tough sell.

Post #547872  Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 8:33 am 

Rich wrote:

It also feels like there is another market especially for Arsenal.

Any player that we want to buy seems to inflate in price, and any player that we want to sell has a price reduction.

Post #547873  Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 9:10 am 

Apparently Gnabry has turned down a 19m euro a year deal from Bayern - that is over £300k a week. I don't think we can or should go there at all if that is the kind of money he wants

Post #547874  Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 9:18 am 

https://breakingthelines.com/data-analy ... el-arteta/

A good read if you're in to stats analysis

Post #547875  Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 10:46 am 

Rich wrote:
Apparently Gnabry has turned down a 19m euro a year deal from Bayern - that is over £300k a week. I don't think we can or should go there at all if that is the kind of money he wants

This whole thing screams to me of a player negotiating his final large contract with existing club. Expect an announcement he’s signed a new contract and wants to end his career in Germany shortly.

On the 300k thing I’m not sure what the answer is. If you want top players they will ask for big wages. What’s the alternative ? You opt out ? Well then you will never compete.

I think because we’ve been burned by ozils contract we are too wary.

Post #547876  Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 10:50 am 

On Leno if a club can’t afford 8.5 million for him then don’t sell him. Selling him for less is lunacy.

Benfica can’t afford 8 million for Leno when we paid them the same amount for Tavares. Literally hang up the phone. Go away and don’t come back

Post #547877  Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 10:53 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
On Leno if a club can’t afford 8.5 million for him then don’t sell him. Selling him for less is lunacy.

Benfica can’t afford 8 million for Leno when we paid them the same amount for Tavares. Literally hang up the phone. Go away and don’t come back

It does seem quite remarkable in today’s football finances that no clubs fancy picking him up at that price. He looks like a real bargain.

Post #547878  Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 11:01 am 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

It does seem quite remarkable in today’s football finances that no clubs fancy picking him up at that price. He looks like a real bargain.

He’s a steal at 15 million never mind half that. Easily got another 5 years for a keeper

We signed Peter Čech for 10 million and he was 3 years older.

I’m surprised a club like Southampton haven’t bitten. They have a load of bad keepers. Would be a no brainier of a transfer

Post #547879  Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 11:23 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

He’s a steal at 15 million never mind half that. Easily got another 5 years for a keeper

We signed Peter Čech for 10 million and he was 3 years older.

I’m surprised a club like Southampton haven’t bitten. They have a load of bad keepers. Would be a no brainier of a transfer

Painful memory of the Southampton keeper Fraser Forster playing out of his skin against us last month.

Post #547880  Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 11:23 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

This whole thing screams to me of a player negotiating his final large contract with existing club. Expect an announcement he’s signed a new contract and wants to end his career in Germany shortly.

On the 300k thing I’m not sure what the answer is. If you want top players they will ask for big wages. What’s the alternative ? You opt out ? Well then you will never compete.

I think because we’ve been burned by ozils contract we are too wary.

I agree top players get top contracts but no one at Liverpool is on £300k a week, and that's even after all the success they've had. We're really not a club who can afford £300k a week before success. We need to grow players in to £300k a week players not buy them at that wage.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13694, 13695, 13696, 13697, 13698, 13699, 13700 ... 14269  Next