Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, Googlebot and 138 guests

Post #535201  Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:07 pm 

Quote:
That Arsenal goal starts with Partey whipping the ball into Saka's feet. Took out the Norwich midfield with one pass. No assist, not even the pre-assist, but that's where it begins

compliments of Sam Dean on Twitter

Post #535202  Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:12 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
A lot of positives from today.
Tomiyasu looks solid
Aubameyang gets a goal and may he continue to get more
AMN did ok today
Ramsdale talks to his defenders
Lokonga looks good
Lots more shots on goal
A clean sheet
3 points
And all round confidence from the team

Aubameyang is now our top scorer in the league this season. :21encouragement:

Post #535203  Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:25 pm 

Arsenal had an xG (expected goals) of 2.7 today. Which is pretty high, when teams hammer the opposition their xG is usually a lot lower than their goals scored ie: they took the chances others wouldn't.

Today the chances we created were good chances and an 'average level of finishing' would have had us scoring 2.7 goals.

Post #535204  Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:29 pm 

Nice to get a win. Just in player terms this is a hugely different team. Ramsdale, Tomiyasu, White, Gabriel, Lokonga, AMN, Partey have barely played a part this season, certainly not as a group.

Key for us is getting that regular 14-15 players fit and on the pitch at the same time. We have lots of players but lack the quality in depth when the first choice are out.

Post #535205  Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:35 pm 

BT Sports Reporter : How's it feel to beat Spurs?

Patrick Vieira : I don't know how it feels to lose vs them

Post #535206  Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:39 pm 

Good win but we coughed too many chances against a weak team.

Post #535207  Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:06 pm 

Pode wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Interesting that Denis Law presumably didn’t think we were, to quote Pode, a “middling club with an ancient history and marble halls.

Law was coming from Huddersfield with all its Chapman connections. He may have been very impressed with marble halls - after all it was still the era of the wage cap and footballer wages not much higher than the national average. Chapman knew who he wanted to impress.

My father had told me all about the marble halls, but I never saw them and they didn't impress me much. No shortage of marble in cemeteries.

Bernard wrote:
I’ve enjoyed this debate and hope you have. I suspect our disagreement has more to do with using differing definitions of words than anything.

I enjoy debate and I can be as pernickety as the next man. :58big-emoticons:

Hmm, being pernickety Chapman left Huddersfield in June 1925. Law left Huddersfield in March 1960, nearly 35 years later. It would astonish me if Chapman was the reason Law thought Arsenal were the Real Madrid of English football.

I did actually see the marble halls. Can’t say they impressed me that much.

Post #535208  Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:19 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
I finally got to see the marble halls etc as Highbury was coming to an end. They had a fans day and I took the opportunity to see around the inside. It was surprisingly unimpressive. A bit like a dowdy town hall.

Hadn’t seen your post when I did my last one LTG. The marble halls, which I first saw much earlier than you, really weren’t as impressive as people who haven’t seen them seem to think.

Post #535209  Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:21 pm 

Yeah back from the game following a heavy dinner and schmoosing errr Ramsdale, Tomiyasu, Lokonga seemed to be our best players. Coincidence right ?

Especially loved it when Tommy walked himself off the pitch round the goal to the adulation of the clock end.

Anyway we didn’t win 5 nil grrrr

Post #535210  Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:23 pm 

Rich wrote:
Arsenal had an xG (expected goals) of 2.7 today. Which is pretty high, when teams hammer the opposition their xG is usually a lot lower than their goals scored ie: they took the chances others wouldn't.

Today the chances we created were good chances and an 'average level of finishing' would have had us scoring 2.7 goals.

Thank you, this is the one stat I was interested to see. There will be the usual bollocks reporting, nervy Arsenal squeak past Norwich.

Post #535211  Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:29 pm 

Emma Raducanu, what a story, that’s what makes sport so addictive. Fantastic.

Post #535212  Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:19 am 

Hazuki wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
Tomiyasu still my man of the match performance.

Pépé for me. He disappears occasionally, but when you summarize a game so much of our attack comes through him. He makes things happen

Pépé had a very fine match. Not everything he did worked out, but overall he played well. So no prizes for guessing that Martin Keown decided to single him out for criticism.

Keown is one of our former players who annoys me. I’m not claiming everything he says is nonsense. But the impression I get is he says controversial stuff just to get his name noticed in news reports.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... dium=email

Post #535213  Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:43 am 

Did anyone notice that as most of the players celebrated the goal Ødegaard went to, or was called over by Arteta for some immediate tactical instructions.

I wonder if we might see more of Ødegaard in a deeper role with Smith Rowe as the 10, certainly when we’re chasing a goal

Post #535214  Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:55 am 

Bernard wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Pépé for me. He disappears occasionally, but when you summarize a game so much of our attack comes through him. He makes things happen

Pépé had a very fine match. Not everything he did worked out, but overall he played well. So no prizes for guessing that Martin Keown decided to single him out for criticism.

Keown is one of our former players who annoys me. I’m not claiming everything he says is nonsense. But the impression I get is he says controversial stuff just to get his name noticed in news reports.

Likewise I thought Pépé did okay but after the game I met with a few fans who said they thought he was poor. I don’t agree and tell the truth I only really ever see us doing something by getting him on the ball in good positions. He seems an easy target for me

Post #535215  Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:06 am 

Rich wrote:
Did anyone notice that as most of the players celebrated the goal Ødegaard went to, or was called over by Arteta for some immediate tactical instructions.

I wonder if we might see more of Ødegaard in a deeper role with Smith Rowe as the 10, certainly when we’re chasing a goal

Won’t be very fashionable to say but I didn’t think Ødegaard was that great yesterday, he moved the ball well ish as usual but needs to try and be a bit more direct and get closer to Pépé and Aubameyang. Your right it seems a bit odd but Arteta does fancy him deeper at times.

Post #535216  Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:30 am 

Bernard wrote:

There’s a growing number of these sorts of pundits now. Pretty much anyone on talksport takes this position.

Post #535217  Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:45 am 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
I finally got to see the marble halls etc as Highbury was coming to an end. They had a fans day and I took the opportunity to see around the inside. It was surprisingly unimpressive. A bit like a dowdy town hall.

Hadn’t seen your post when I did my last one LTG. The marble halls, which I first saw much earlier than you, really weren’t as impressive as people who haven’t seen them seem to think.
You are both right, but context is everything. When Highbury was built its design was completely on another level to any existing football stadium. The facade and marble reception hall was very grand for the times. The two main stands were intended to evoke a comfortable theatre visit for seated spectators, and the quality of the dressing rooms would have been astonishing to players. If it all seemed a little less grand in later years, and the marble halls cliche was tired, there is no doubt that at its peak Highbury was a wonder.

Post #535218  Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:51 am 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
Yes, a wonderful achievement. For me a lovely aside to her run to the final was seeing the women who were former British tennis champs come out in her support. To see Christine Janes (nee Truman) on the telly saying such nice things about the young girl was especially touching. And even better, her win has knocked the Ronaldo love-in off the top sporting news!

Post #535219  Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:03 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Yes, a wonderful achievement. For me a lovely aside to her run to the final was seeing the women who were former British tennis champs come out in her support. To see Christine Janes (nee Truman) on the telly saying such nice things about the young girl was especially touching. And even better, her win has knocked the Ronaldo love-in off the top sporting news!

Hi OMOH,

Fantastic performance from both players.

I am not really a fan of women's tennis (not since Kournikova retired obviously :laughing7: ) but that match was an incredibly high level, high entensity encounter. Very impressed with the technical, tactical and athletic prowess of both players.

It will be interesting to see if both players go on to develop a fierce rivalry over the next decade or so.

Post #535220  Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:09 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Likewise I thought Pépé did okay but after the game I met with a few fans who said they thought he was poor. I don’t agree and tell the truth I only really ever see us doing something by getting him on the ball in good positions. He seems an easy target for me

I thought Pépé was a mixed bag, some brilliant things but also some really poor things. A few times the ball was knocked into him and his control let him down and the ball just bounced away from him was was hugely frustrating.

Post #535221  Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:12 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

Won’t be very fashionable to say but I didn’t think Ødegaard was that great yesterday, he moved the ball well ish as usual but needs to try and be a bit more direct and get closer to Pépé and Aubameyang. Your right it seems a bit odd but Arteta does fancy him deeper at times.

He was great for half an hour but then drifted out of the game and was really on the periphery of things for much of the remainder of the match. He needs to find a way to impose himself on the game for longer periods, he has the talent to do it but does he have the mental capacity to dictate things?

Post #535222  Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:20 am 

What an achievement. I'm not really a tennis fan but I ended up watching the whole match and by the end I was feeling surprisingly emotionaly invested. To think that 3 months ago she was doing her A levels!

Yesterday was my first Arsenal match of the season. The crowd management outside the stadium was a little lacking.
There was a checkpoint to get onto the concourse and after 10 mins of painfully slow and exasperated shuffling forward, many started walking around the 'security' when they realised it was a few hired security bods who were in on position to stop people. Then at my gate to get in the ground, rather than use all 10 turnstiles, they shut them all except for two next to each other, creating a massive throng of people all squeezing and jostling into the only 2 available. At least the hand sanitisers positioned beside the queues with the message "stay socially distanced" got a little laugh.
From my seat high up in the corner of the North Bank I found it quite tricky to confidently identify who was playing. This wasnt helped by being seated under one screen and the dip of the roof blocking the other screen. I thought the mood of the crowd was noticibly positive considering the teams disastorous start to the season, and we started the game well. However, as the game wore on I couldnt shake the feeling that Arteta's Arsenal are generall slow and lacklustre going forward. It was only when Partey and Smith Rowe came on did I feel like our play sped up and got a bit more direct. I thought the new signings all played quite well, but overall we seem like a team less than the sum of its expensively assembled parts, and I cant help think this is squarely on Arteta. Hopefully this will improve as the new players settle in and injured ones return but time is running out if we dont want to lose points early on. Of the new signings I thought the new right back had very a solid debut, Ramsdale has a bit of personality which the crowd responded to, Ben White is so confortable on the ball and Lakonga was much better than I imagined he would be. All in all, it was nice to be backand I can see the promise of the new signings, but it was a little dispiriting to see how far we have fallen as team right now.

Post #535223  Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:23 am 

I think some of the folks lambasting the club for over paying for Ben White and Ramsdale are going to end up with serious egg on their faces.

Post #535224  Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:11 am 

socrates wrote:
He was great for half an hour but then drifted out of the game and was really on the periphery of things for much of the remainder of the match. He needs to find a way to impose himself on the game for longer periods, he has the talent to do it but does he have the mental capacity to dictate things?

That's the way my missus describes our sex life.

Post #535225  Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:11 am 

Bored wrote:

What an achievement. I'm not really a tennis fan but I ended up watching the whole match and by the end I was feeling surprisingly emotionaly invested. To think that 3 months ago she was doing her A levels!

Yesterday was my first Arsenal match of the season. The crowd management outside the stadium was a little lacking.
There was a checkpoint to get onto the concourse and after 10 mins of painfully slow and exasperated shuffling forward, many started walking around the 'security' when they realised it was a few hired security bods who were in on position to stop people. Then at my gate to get in the ground, rather than use all 10 turnstiles, they shut them all except for two next to each other, creating a massive throng of people all squeezing and jostling into the only 2 available. At least the hand sanitisers positioned beside the queues with the message "stay socially distanced" got a little laugh.
From my seat high up in the corner of the North Bank I found it quite tricky to confidently identify who was playing. This wasnt helped by being seated under one screen and the dip of the roof blocking the other screen. I thought the mood of the crowd was noticibly positive considering the teams disastorous start to the season, and we started the game well. However, as the game wore on I couldnt shake the feeling that Arteta's Arsenal are generall slow and lacklustre going forward. It was only when Partey and Smith Rowe came on did I feel like our play sped up and got a bit more direct. I thought the new signings all played quite well, but overall we seem like a team less than the sum of its expensively assembled parts, and I cant help think this is squarely on Arteta. Hopefully this will improve as the new players settle in and injured ones return but time is running out if we dont want to lose points early on. Of the new signings I thought the new right back had very a solid debut, Ramsdale has a bit of personality which the crowd responded to, Ben White is so confortable on the ball and Lakonga was much better than I imagined he would be. All in all, it was nice to be backand I can see the promise of the new signings, but it was a little dispiriting to see how far we have fallen as team right now.

A few things on this, for the chelsea game we arrived very close to Kick off and the ramp by block 126 felt very packed and compressed with people. I’m not a fan of being packed in spaces and if you have kids with you it’s not preferable so I’d advise taking the clubs advice and get to the ground early if possible.

On your comments about the team falling I’m sorry I don’t agree whilst understanding the feeling. I think it’s a solid looking side and we just need some of the new players to gel a bit, we looked good yesterday but very raw and we need time for some relationships to form. I was hugely impressed by white, Ramsdale and Tommy.

Wengers final team selection was Ospina, Bellerin, Mustafi, Holding, Kolasinac, Xhaka, Ramsey, Iwobi, Mkhitaryan, Aubameyang, Lacazette.

I think we are in a far better place now and the only thing really missing is a star player a Bergkamp, Henry Sanchez type that galvanises the team and an experienced midfield option. Hopefully this can come in future

Post #535226  Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:11 am 

In some ways it was a typical Pépé performance. Some brilliant bits, some incredibly frustrating bits. At one moment he is bringing down a 50 yard spinning ball on the tip of his toe, then he miscontrols a straight foward pass which would have put him clean through on goal.

Post #535227  Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:19 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
You are both right, but context is everything. When Highbury was built its design was completely on another level to any existing football stadium. The facade and marble reception hall was very grand for the times. The two main stands were intended to evoke a comfortable theatre visit for seated spectators, and the quality of the dressing rooms would have been astonishing to players. If it all seemed a little less grand in later years, and the marble halls cliche was tired, there is no doubt that at its peak Highbury was a wonder.

Ah yes, but don’t forget you would have first seen Highbury when it opened in 1913. Remember, coming from your neck of the woods your first game would have been Dial Square’s first match in 1886. Compared to Plumstead Common it probably did look good.

Post #535228  Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:26 am 

socrates wrote:

I agree Ødegaard started very well but faded in the second half. At half time I felt a sensible argument could have been made about him being our man of the match, or man of 45 minutes. I noticed the same as Rich. Arteta spoke to him at some length following the goal. Don’t know what about, but he did.

Post #535229  Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:28 am 

warrior wrote:
socrates wrote:

Soc's post said half an hour, not half a minute. Easy to miss!

Post #535230  Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:30 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
I think it’s a solid looking side and we just need some of the new players to gel a bit, we looked good yesterday but very raw and we need time for some relationships to form. I was hugely impressed by white, Ramsdale and Tommy.

Fair enough. I'm not saying we dont have decent players with tons of potential. But with 2 eighth place league finishes, all overseen by a rookie manager with a style of play which I personally find a bit rigid and laboured, its hard for me to be excited by this team, especially in the short term. I think we will improve as the season goes on, but I worry that its going to be another underwhelming league season.

Post #535231  Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:33 am 

old man of hoy wrote:

Splendid, and as you say, I hardly noticed that Ronaldo scored two goals! I did manage to notice Spurs' misfortunes, however.

Post #535232  Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:36 am 

Worth mentioning that despite the teams horrible start to the season, there is no doubt that everyone was behind the team yesterday in the stadium.

Post #535233  Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:37 am 

Bored wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
I think it’s a solid looking side and we just need some of the new players to gel a bit, we looked good yesterday but very raw and we need time for some relationships to form. I was hugely impressed by white, Ramsdale and Tommy.

Fair enough. I'm not saying we dont have decent players with tons of potential. But with 2 eighth place league finishes, all overseen by a rookie manager with a style of play which I personally find a bit rigid and laboured, its hard for me to be excited by this team, especially in the short term. I think we will improve as the season goes on, but I worry that its going to be another underwhelming league season.

I think it just needs one or two of our players (someone like Pépé perhaps?) to have a standout season, and for the squad to have decent luck with injuries, and we may well surprise. Aubameyang is looking sharp and hungry too, which is a good omen.

Top 4 looks a stretch, but when you have a squad full of talented young players, you are giving yourself a chance.

Post #535234  Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:38 am 

Bored wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Wouldn’t really disagree with the sentiment or concerns

I think we are in for a mixed bag of a season. I can see us doing well at home but the team looks a little lightweight and may struggle away from the emirates. A lot will be learned from the trip to turf moor.

I think Thomas Partey is our best player and we looked transformed as soon as he came on. A lot rests on our ability to keep him on the pitch.

Post #535235  Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:42 am 

Decaf wrote:
warrior wrote:

:53big-emoticons:

Post #535236  Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:54 am 

I’ve seen a few outlets describe our goal as lucky or fortunate. I find that strange because of the defender had just hooked it away before Aubameyang tapped in surely most people would have said we were incredibly unlucky not to score having hit both posts and had a certain goal cleared off the line

Post #535237  Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:06 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Decaf wrote:

:53big-emoticons:

Post #535238  Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:07 am 

Quick word on the gooner fanzine. I’ve always enjoyed occasionally getting and reading it for the laughs down the years. Kevin Whitchers talking reds column often summarised my general thoughts about my beloved arsenal well down the years and the Highbury spy often had me cracking up.

The latest copy is .... well totally shite, it seems to have been changed to a magazine that promotes and showcases the individual contributors social media presence so you now have bloggers like le grove and internet correspondents like Charlie Watts writing for it. It seems to totally miss the point of a fanzine in the first place which is primarily supposed to be 80% laughs and taking the piss 10% natter and 10% history and reporting. Not to mention the price is now 5 *%^@*** quid. Can’t see myself buying it anymore which is a shame and can’t see it being around for much longer if it retains its form.

Post #535239  Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:43 am 

Does anyone know why the main entrance to the north bridge (to get from Drayton Park to the ground) has been closed when going to the game? It’s open when exiting the stadium after the match so it can’t be a structural problem. It’s been the case for both home games this season.

They are asking people going from the Drayton Park side of the ground to cross using the south bridge. This presumably means the very large majority of those using Arsenal tube station and Finsbury Park tube and overground stations. The first thing you see after crossing the south bridge is the entrance to the away fans section, where you will inevitably get more away supporters congregating outside the ground. I’m not saying that makes it unsafe. But it has to mean the away supporters before going in being nearer to a bigger number of Arsenal fans going to the ground.

I still call them the north and south bridges. The north bridge is formally called the Ken Friar bridge now and the south one the Danny Fiszman bridge. Changes in names I never liked. Hence my refusal to call them the Friar and Fiszman bridges.

Post #535240  Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:55 am 

I thought yesterday was very satisfactory.
Five of our new signings started. None failed. All showed why they had been signed. That's good. Arteta started them, which is good too. I wanted to see Ramsdale but hadn't expected to.
Many players were coming back from illness, injury or the international break, so unlikely to be at their physical peak.
Aubameyang scored.
AMN was given his chance.

I hadn't expected coherence, given so many recently signed (Tomiyasu only just getting his work permit), only just coming back from being unavailable, and limited time for Arteta to work with them as a group. Could easily have been worse since they were coming into a dysfunctional structure.

I was impressed by Lokonga and Tomiyasu who were both better than I had anticipated. White and Ramsdale seemed to tick the required boxes, but expectations were higher because of their prices. And it was Norwich at home.

The forward unit doesn't work as an effective unit. That's been the case for a long time - we have been very dependent on peak Aubameyang. Maybe the new midfield will enable it. Maybe Ødegaard or Emile Smith Rowe will start pulling it together. If we're lucky Arteta will find the key to Ødegaard; everyone sees his quality, but no-one found it at RM. More likely it will take Aubameyang/Lacazette replacements to provide the key.

For the first time, I think we're seeing the bones of an Arteta team.

[ 571641 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13378, 13379, 13380, 13381, 13382, 13383, 13384 ... 14292  Next