Fixtures Weds April 17th - Bayern Munich - Allianz-Arena - UEFA Champions League - 8:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:32 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot and 88 guests

Post #547801  Posted: Fri May 27, 2022 2:46 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Wasn't he good from the start? Of course he got better...as any young defender will when they get minuites.

If only this were true!

Getting minutes quite often exposes young players' weaknesses and shows that they are not going to cut it.

Post #547802  Posted: Fri May 27, 2022 5:50 pm 

So we’re signing hickey, zinchenko and now this guy

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/18708170 ... ter-milan/

Post #547803  Posted: Fri May 27, 2022 6:54 pm 

Oh this Marquinhos thing is all over the place. So whether or not Edu was at all aware of last summer's Wolves supposed agreement is another thing entirely.

https://dailycannon.com/2022/05/wolves- ... s-arsenal/

Post #547804  Posted: Fri May 27, 2022 6:56 pm 

Oh this Marquinhos thing is all over the media. If Edu was even aware of last summer's supposed deal with Wolves is left to be revealed.

https://dailycannon.com/2022/05/wolves- ... s-arsenal/

Post #547805  Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:20 am 

Premier League without VAR: Arsenal in Champions League, Man United out of Europe, Leeds relegated

Attachment:

https://www.espn.com.au/football/englis ... -relegated

Post #547806  Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:44 am 

Retaining the likes of Elneny and Nketiah makes sense in terms of there being a lot we need to do with the squad this summer in terms of quality and numbers, keeping those two maybe allows us to add fewer but higher quality players.

Centre mid and striker are the two key areas to add quality, perhaps we can commit more money to those positions now. If it is Tielemans and Jesus I think that’s a pretty good start to the summer, both would be somewhat cut price as they have 1 year left on their deal.

There are lots of rumours around Gnabry, he also has one year left on his deal, won’t sign again with Bayern so they’re looking for £34m this summer, he’ll have just turned 27 when next season starts

Post #547807  Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:05 am 

Ivan Perisic is close to a 2 year deal with Spurs, I think he’s a very underrated player, but he’s 33 and will command huge wages. He’s the sort of signing you make if you’re a winning team who just want a bit of extra edge for 2 years….looks like Conte is going all out on the short term to try to be successful- and he might be - but I don’t see a long term plan when all your best players are ageing and on very big contracts…..plus the £75m to make two loans permanent to just stay still for next year

Post #547808  Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:13 pm 

Help please.

What time is ko for the CL Final - UK time?

Post #547809  Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:19 pm 

DHD wrote:
Help please.

Rather looking forward to it.

I’m going for a Mediterranean meal with the lads first then trying to beat John’s record number of pints watching it round town

Post #547810  Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:27 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:
Help please.

I’m going for a Mediterranean meal with the lads first then trying to beat John’s record number of pints watching it round town

Ta TG.

Post #547811  Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:10 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:
Help please.

Stick to the Guinness. Thats what I did. Good luck

Post #547812  Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 2:59 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
So we’re signing hickey, zinchenko and now this guy

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/18708170 ... ter-milan/
DiMarcho is not a bad name for a back? About time we got some Italian defenders - they usually know what they are doing.

Post #547813  Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 3:04 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:
Help please.

I'm cooking for the guys tonight - drawing heavily on Keith Floyd's Spanish book. Sardines in oregano; garlic prawns; Basque cod; potato casserole; red pepper salad and for afters, Liverpool Tart.

C'mon the Pool - when all envy is put aside, a proper football club with a great manager.

Post #547814  Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 4:14 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I'm cooking for the guys tonight - drawing heavily on Keith Floyd's Spanish book. Sardines in oregano; garlic prawns; Basque cod; potato casserole; red pepper salad and for afters, Liverpool Tart.

C'mon the Pool - when all envy is put aside, a proper football club with a great manager.

That sounds utterly mouthwatering. Damn.

I'm also going with Liverpool. I detest Real.

Post #547815  Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 5:40 pm 

Ceballos on the bench for Real.

Post #547816  Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:00 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:
Help please.

Or……

…as it turns out…..8:15

…. Nope.

Now 8:30

Shambles

Post #547817  Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:06 pm 

Decaf wrote:

I always enjoy seeing other English clubs losing in Europe. I'll be hoping for a Madrid victory.

Post #547818  Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:11 pm 

The delays are no surprises to those who went to our final there like myself. Utter madness

Never seen such madness at any ground before our final there. Hope there are no human consequences

Post #547819  Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:15 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Salivating now your talking

Post #547820  Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:32 pm 

Looks like the French Border Staff have been drafted in for the match. What a truly wonderful customer experience.

Post #547821  Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:35 pm 

It’s so annoying that we’ve never won this trophy.

Post #547822  Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:37 pm 

All through the first half I’ve been convinced that Real Madrid would win. That was based on them doing absolutely nothing combined with their outrageous luck throughout the competition.

But having listened to the Peter Walton nonsense as to why Benzema was offside I can see that their luck has run out. Yet another example of the nonsenses that the laws of the game are becoming.

Post #547823  Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:38 pm 

Don’t understand that goal being ruled out for Real. Peter Walton says it doesn’t matter that it came off the Liverpool player because he was not deemed to have deliberately played it, it was a deflection so Benzema is offside.
I assume that’s only a thing because the Madrid player shot or played it first. Madrid player played it forward towards goal, Konate the nstantly blocked it away from goal, then Fabinho sliding in knees it in to Benzema’s path who is offside and scores.

The rule can’t just be whether the touch was deliberate or not. What happens if a defender goes to play a long ball and it hits his own team mate in the back and bounces through for an offside striker to score. Of course he can’t be offside

Post #547824  Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:45 pm 

Presumably if a ball cannonballs onto an attacker and goes in the net then it shouldn’t be a goal because he didn’t mean it.

Post #547825  Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:20 pm 

Courtois has been excellent tonight

Post #547826  Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:32 pm 

Bored wrote:

He has. And that Ancelotti chap seems to know what he is doing too. :laughing7:

Post #547827  Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:35 pm 

Amazing. In the end Liverpool ended up winning the same as us in 1993.

Post #547828  Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:37 pm 

Talk about grit.

Post #547829  Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:40 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Bored wrote:

He has. And that Ancelotti chap seems to know what he is doing too. :laughing7:

Seems like a manager who thrives with big name players but wouldn’t do as well with weaker players (Everton!) of course that sounds simple but there are plenty of managers who are the other way round.

I’ve read that Ancelotti is a bit of a hands off manager in terms of tactics but much more a man manager - and if that’s true then he’s got to be one of the best man managers in football

Post #547830  Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:15 pm 

Players taking off their runners up medals as soon as it’s round their neck with a look of total disgust always looks too try hard to me, ‘look how much of a winner I am by showing how disgusted I am that we only just missed out on winning, this medal is going in the bin’
Always feel like players should show more respect for the competition and certainly for the guy handing out the medals than this faux outrage and tearing it off before it’s even fully been placed on them

Post #547831  Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:17 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Decaf wrote:

I always enjoy seeing other English clubs losing in Europe. I'll be hoping for a Madrid victory.

I agree bromley. I don’t like Real, although I dislike Barcelona even more, but I’m delighted they beat Liverpool tonight. The only good thing I can find to say about Liverpool is that I dislike Manchester United, Tottenham and Chelsea even more.

Post #547832  Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:26 pm 

Rich wrote:
Players taking off their runners up medals as soon as it’s round their neck with a look of total disgust always looks too try hard to me, ‘look how much of a winner I am by showing how disgusted I am that we only just missed out on winning, this medal is going in the bin’
Always feel like players should show more respect for the competition and certainly for the guy handing out the medals than this faux outrage and tearing it off before it’s even fully been placed on them

I didn’t watch the game (I haven’t even seen the winning goal yet), but players doing that doesn’t bother me. A runners up medal means you’ve lost the final. Had I played for the losers tonight I wouldn’t want it round my neck and I’d take it off immediately.

Post #547833  Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:21 pm 

Post #547834  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 12:01 am 

Bored wrote:
It’s so annoying that we’ve never won this trophy.

Couldn’t agree more. It’s the only traditional trophy I’ve not seen us win, either as the Champions League or European Cup.

How big any club is will be open to some debate, at least at the margins. What factors are relevant to club size? In no order of importance, factors that spring immediately to my mind (some overlap) are fan base size (domestic and world wide), wealth and spending power, stadium size, average attendances, history (with longevity being a part of this), stature and status in the game leading to things like newsworthiness and from that even glamour, trophy wins (what was won having relevance though Huddersfield have won the top tier English league more often than Tottenham, yet Tottenham are immeasurably bigger), and the desirability of a club for players and managers to go there (which is also linked to things like money and status).

The timing of trophy wins is also relevant. Huddersfield won three titles almost a hundred years ago. That makes their trio less relevant to their bigness now. Sadly, although Arsenal still have more trophies and league titles than Chelsea, the latter’s big success has come more recently than ours, which explains why they now have a bigger fan base. Chelsea have also won the Champions League (once being vital though they’ve done it twice).

There’s no single factor that overrides everything else. Money is vital but despite having even more spending power than their near neighbours, I simply don’t think City are as big a club as Manchester United. Arsenal have won many more trophies than Nottingham Forest. But Forest have won the European Cup two more times than Arsenal. But Arsenal is a far bigger club than Forest. So winning it does not make a club huge on its own. I thus think there’s a balance between my factors above.

I’ve always seen Arsenal as the biggest club in Europe not to have won the European Cup or Champions League. PSG haven’t won it either and currently possess a lot more money via wealthier owners than even the Kroenke’s, but were only founded in 1970 so I just don’t see them as having the history of Marseille let alone Arsenal. Atletico Madrid haven’t won it. Sorry they are a very big club but I just don’t see them as big as Arsenal. However, I think Arsenal need to win it before the club can claim to have the elite status I believe it deserves.

Post #547835  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 4:22 am 

I hope I live to see the day we win the CL. That would pretty much complete my Arsenal fan life. Yes, I'd love to win more titles, and havd the most FA cups of any side but the CL is the one I want badly. It was very, very painful seeing Chelsea be the first London club to win it. Twice Bayern choked to make me sad.

Post #547836  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 5:28 am 

Australians set to pay more to watch Premier League as football fans juggle costs of multiple streaming services

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/news/au ... li=AAgfLCP

Post #547837  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 6:09 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I hope I live to see the day we win the CL. That would pretty much complete my Arsenal fan life. Yes, I'd love to win more titles, and havd the most FA cups of any side but the CL is the one I want badly. It was very, very painful seeing Chelsea be the first London club to win it. Twice Bayern choked to make me sad.

Considering how much you mention disliking Bayern for choking, do you also dislike Dennis Bergkamp if you consider him to have choked to miss that penalty that would have stopped Manchester United from winning the FA Cup, part of their treble in 1999?

Post #547838  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 8:40 am 

warrior wrote:
Australians set to pay more to watch Premier League as football fans juggle costs of multiple streaming services

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/news/au ... li=AAgfLCP

I am happy they have retained the rights despite an increase. I am an Optus phone subscriber so it’s not too much of an increase for me. The service is a good one as I can watch live, replay or watch highlights in 3,9,25 minute packages of basically every game. When Foxtel had it , limited replays and generally you had to get up in the middle of the night to watch it because you couldn’t record all games.

Now we need to have a really good season.

Post #547839  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 11:59 am 

The chaos outside the game yesterday brought back memories of our final there.

We barely managed to make kick off on time. As usual we spent too long in the centre of Paris drinking and singing and tried to get a tube and never witnessed such chaos on the tube. A massive crush. We got out of there and got a cab across Paris which is slow and whilst we were waiting in traffic a load of cars drove past with a police escort forcing its way through the stopped traffic. It was the fifa delegates ! Literally getting treated like royalty.

More and worse chaos getting into the ground through the ring of steel and we eventually managed to just make kick off. Again like the Liverpool fans are reporting there were loads of French people sitting int the aisles of the stadium and walkways.

Its crazy football fans are treated like dirt. I have a feeling we may see a tragedy soon as the policing and organisation of these events is drifting worse

Post #547840  Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 12:07 pm 

Actually the policing from the French for our cup winners cup final there was a bit mental too if I recall. They tried to lock our fans in after the game if I remember and it led to a group of fans bashing the gate open.

I remember walking past a huge platoon of armed French policeman on the way out. Seemed unreal

Every time I’ve been to Paris involves arsenal losing a football match

[ 571628 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13693, 13694, 13695, 13696, 13697, 13698, 13699 ... 14291  Next