Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 108 guests

Post #529601  Posted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:45 pm 

Fabrizio Romano (rarely gets things wrong) says it is expected that Willian will leave this summer.

Post #529602  Posted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:47 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
The FA Cup is still the greatest football competition - it should never be undervalued or marginalised. And it should be played at 3pm on a Saturday.

omoh, I may be completely wrong from what I gathered from people such as yourself who have seen many FA cups.

It's still a big event, but I've heard it said it lost a bit of its lustre because of regular televised games. The FA Cup final was one of the few football matches that was on tv and broadcast nationally in the old days, or is that not correct?

Also, just getting to the final for all fans was seen as a great event because they would go to London and be in Wembley. Even for London based clubs it was a huge event. That's what I ascertain from older Brits I've come across starting with the first ones I met in Los Angeles. Even if your club has been to a few (Liverpool, Man Utd), it was always a huge event.

Post #529603  Posted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:09 pm 

Decaf wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Just read an amazing stat on Vardy. He has become the first player ever to feature in every round of the FA Cup. That starts with the preliminary round, 4 qualifying rounds, etc. Quite remarkable.

I am guessing that this excludes the early days of such as Wanderers.

Speaking of Wanderers, come on Wolves! Time to do your bit for all that is good and decent and put a stick in the Spuds' spokes.

:20hospitals:

Post #529604  Posted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:35 pm 

Alisson just scored from a corner to win it for Liverpool. Don't think I've ever seen that before, at least not as far I can remember.

Post #529605  Posted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:32 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Alisson just scored from a corner to win it for Liverpool. Don't think I've ever seen that before, at least not as far I can remember.

Here’s a dramatic one. https://www.chesterstandard.co.uk/sport ... isle-goal/

Post #529606  Posted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:56 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
omoh, I may be completely wrong from what I gathered from people such as yourself who have seen many FA cups.

It's still a big event, but I've heard it said it lost a bit of its lustre because of regular televised games. The FA Cup final was one of the few football matches that was on tv and broadcast nationally in the old days, or is that not correct?

Also, just getting to the final for all fans was seen as a great event because they would go to London and be in Wembley. Even for London based clubs it was a huge event. That's what I ascertain from older Brits I've come across starting with the first ones I met in Los Angeles. Even if your club has been to a few (Liverpool, Man Utd), it was always a huge event.
Hi AG - yes the Cup Final was traditionally the end of season national football event. It is also English football's oldest and greatest cup competition, which hundreds of teams compete in. While the media focus on the stages when the bigger Football League teams start to play, the early stages involve non-league sides from way down the football pyramid. As such it has always been a fan's cup - unlike the elite competitions which involve a very limited group of teams. Personally I will recall many of the FA Cup Finals I have seen long after I have forgotten who won in Europe - and I am not just talking about Arsenal triumphs. The first Cup Final I vividly remember watching was Villa beating United on a black and white TV set! Spurs v Burnley - arguably the best ever Final for sheer football quality. And of course Sunderland topping Leeds.

Post #529607  Posted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:43 pm 

My first ever game of football was a cup final. Round my mates house on a small black and white tv. Tottenham vs Leicester. And the name of Len Chalmers lives on in my memory.

Post #529608  Posted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:29 pm 

Looks an interesting climax to the La Liga (Spanish league) table this season, which will be next Sunday. As it stands after 37 games, Atletico Madrid are top with 83 points and a goal difference of +41. Real Madrid are second with 81 points and a goal difference of +38. Barcelona are out of the fight for the title, being third with 76 points and a goal difference of +46.

What that means is unless Real not only win but make up Atletico’s better goal difference of +3, a draw for Atletico will win them the league. Next Sunday Atletico are away to nineteenth placed Real Valladolid whilst Real are home to seventh place Villarreal.

Last season the top of the table finished (38 games) with Real top with 87 points, Barcelona second with 82 points and Atletico third with 70 points.

Atletico had Partey last season, while this season they haven’t. Am I missing something or does all this not only imply Atletico haven’t missed Partey, but they’ve improved without him?

Post #529609  Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:16 am 

Bernard wrote:
Looks an interesting climax to the La Liga (Spanish league) table this season, which will be next Sunday. As it stands after 37 games, Atletico Madrid are top with 83 points and a goal difference of +41. Real Madrid are second with 81 points and a goal difference of +38. Barcelona are out of the fight for the title, being third with 76 points and a goal difference of +46.

What that means is unless Real not only win but make up Atletico’s better goal difference of +3, a draw for Atletico will win them the league. Next Sunday Atletico are away to nineteenth placed Real Valladolid whilst Real are home to seventh place Villarreal.

Last season the top of the table finished (38 games) with Real top with 87 points, Barcelona second with 82 points and Atletico third with 70 points.

Atletico had Partey last season, while this season they haven’t. Am I missing something or does all this not only imply Atletico haven’t missed Partey, but they’ve improved without him?

Perhaps the Suarez factor is more significant. He moved from Barca to Atletico.
Partey must be regretting his move to Arsenal.

Valladolid is in a relegation fight, and home to Atletico. They will be fighting very hard for a win. Atletico will have their work cut out for them, and I am rooting for them to win the match.

Villarreal is away to Real, and fighting for a Europa place. Hope they deny Real a win.

Post #529610  Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:43 am 

Thanks. The one thing I liked about the FA Cup when I first got interested in football was seeing minnows vs giants and either giving them a scare or winning outright.

Also, from what I am gathering from Wenger, he said the FA Cup was shown in Germany. I presume it was shown in a variety of countries as well. It's well known to be the oldest football competition.

Sad, its lost a lot of its pageantry. As you know I watch a lot of old videos and it was obvious the cup final was a huge national event and the fans at the match were in sheer joy at just being there. Some fans who rarely visit London took the train down (or up, etc) and from what I understand, took in the town, saw some things, tourist type of things, while they were in town.

I recall getting up at 3am to catch our final vs Chelsea in 2002. My car was in the shop. The taxi I ordered didn't come (LA is notoriously lacking in cabs, uber has changed that) and I was walking, catching busses, anything I could to get there. Final leg was about a mile or so on foot. Didn't make kick off but was about 10 minutes, sweating. Pub was packed solid. The only reason I got in was because they knew me. Could hardly see the screen. I recall being nervous because although we beat Chelsea regularly, they always gave us a tough time.

The "Its only Ray Parlour'" goal is one of my favorites because it was Ray Parlour. One of the least likely players anyone expected to score and got lost in the shuffle of great players that came in like Viera, Bergkamp, Henry, Pires, Freddie...I was so happy for him.

I hope we maintain our FA Cup lead obviously but its going to be tough in the immediate future to do so.

Post #529611  Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:44 am 

Hazuki wrote:

Maybe we could sign him ?

We could use a good striker.

Post #529612  Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:11 am 

warrior wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

It was some header, but I thought it was strange that West brom didn't have everyone back to defend the corner. As Allison heads it there are only 7 outfield west brom players in the box, there are two on the edge of the box marking 1 man and seemingly another guy up front!

Post #529613  Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:25 am 

In a 26 man Euro squad it is slightly crazy that Southgate might not pick Trent Alexander-Arnold.

Post #529614  Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:35 am 

Rich wrote:
In a 26 man Euro squad it is slightly crazy that Southgate might not pick Trent Alexander-Arnold.

In my opinion that's a mental, reactionary decision to a rough season were Alexander-Arnold still scored 2 goals and had 7 assists in the league. Looking at the last three years he has outperformed all other English full backs with a comfortable margin, and he brings qualities that no other right back has. Considering his level of performance since breaking through and the unique skillset he brings he should be one of the first names in the squad.

Post #529615  Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:58 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:

In my opinion that's a mental, reactionary decision to a rough season were Alexander-Arnold still scored 2 goals and had 7 assists in the league. Looking at the last three years he has outperformed all other English full backs with a comfortable margin, and he brings qualities that no other right back has. Considering his level of performance since breaking through and the unique skillset he brings he should be one of the first names in the squad.

As everyone knows I don’t support the English national team but I would be astonished if Southgate didn’t put Alexander-Arnold in the squad. Where do the rumours he might not actually come from? My own guess is the imagination of journalists or reporters wanting to sell papers or get internet hits with outlandish stories. Similar to much of the transfer gossip you read about.

Post #529616  Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:11 am 

Yes not selecting Alexander Arnold would be the dumbest decision made by an England manager since Graham Taylor decided not to take England’s top Goalscorer Ian Wright to the 1992 Euro championships and decided to take Nigel Clough instead because of his surname.

Prat

Post #529617  Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:15 am 

Bernard wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

As everyone knows I don’t support the English national team but I would be astonished if Southgate didn’t put Alexander-Arnold in the squad. Where do the rumours he might not actually come from? My own guess is the imagination of journalists or reporters wanting to sell papers or get internet hits with outlandish stories. Similar to much of the transfer gossip you read about.

I don’t think it’s spurious rumours Bernard hasn’t he been left out of southgates last couple of squads ?

Post #529618  Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:43 am 

I'm really, really hoping for the best for Brentford. C'mon Bees.

Post #529619  Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:12 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
The first Cup Final I vividly remember watching was Villa beating United on a black and white TV set!

As I'm sure you recall, OMOH, the main controversy of that game was McParland's 'shoulder charge' on the United keeper Ray Wood. Watching it these days, it is incredible not only for the fact that it was (arguably?) a legal challenge, but that Kenneth Wolstenholme is extremely disappointed in the United fans for their appalling lack of sportsmanship in booing the ref as Wood is eventually carried off. How dare they!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuL515DPIJ4&t=409s

Post #529620  Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:22 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I don’t think it’s spurious rumours Bernard hasn’t he been left out of southgates last couple of squads ?

He has been left out of the last few squads, but plenty of other out of form players were being picked. England have a bit of an embarrassment of riches at right back. Walker, Trippier, James, Trent, Wan Bissaka and then even younger players like Aarons and Lamptey coming through. Rumours are the 3 at the start of my list are the 3 Southgate likes. Trent is clearly the most talented of the lot, he should be on the plane with Walker - no doubt in my mind

Post #529621  Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:26 pm 

Lots of links to prem based players and particularly some players from the relegated sides. Of course lots of rumours are just that, made up to get clicks, but it is a tactic that has proven ok for teams in the past.
Sander Berge CM at Sheff Utd
Adarabioyo - young 6ft 5 CB, was with Arteta at City so can understand the link
Anguissa at Fulham, CM with more successful dribbles than any player in the league

I think it is going to be a buyer market this summer, even if we consider our own finances tight it is nothing compared to some clubs on the continent. Some bargain deals will be done this summer for sure

Post #529622  Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:33 pm 

Rich, there may be a lot of wishful thinking going into the summer buying season. I hope we are canny buyers. But we can't buy unless we lesson the wage bill right? Sell to buy? Or have I misunderstood it? I don't know our finances. I only know we can't spend like we need to.

Post #529623  Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:56 pm 

Rich wrote:
Rumours are the 3 at the start of my list are the 3 Southgate likes. Trent is clearly the most talented of the lot, he should be on the plane with Walker - no doubt in my mind

Trippier and Walker are quite similiar as players, decent defensively and good going forward. Wan Bissaka doesn't have the attacking edge of the others, but is the best defensively. And Alexander-Arnold is by far the most gifted offensively. I just don't see any reason at all to pick both Trippier and Walker.

Post #529624  Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:01 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:
Rumours are the 3 at the start of my list are the 3 Southgate likes. Trent is clearly the most talented of the lot, he should be on the plane with Walker - no doubt in my mind

Trippier and Walker are quite similiar as players, decent defensively and good going forward. Wan Bissaka doesn't have the attacking edge of the others, but is the best defensively. And Alexander-Arnold is by far the most gifted offensively. I just don't see any reason at all to pick both Trippier and Walker.

Agreed. I think there are more differences between Walker and Trippier though. Walker has much better pace, athleticism, physical ability and versatility being able to play in a back 3 (as he did at the last world cup I think). Trippier has a much better delivery and set piece threat - but Trent trumps that anyway.

in a 26 man squad you can have something like:
3 GK
9 Def
9/10 Mid
4/5 Attack
id go for something like this
Pickford, Pope, Henderson in goal
Trent, Walker, Maguire, Stones, Mings, Keane, Chilwell, Shaw (we're a bit light at CB quality)
Rice, Henderson(if fit), Mount, Foden, Sterling, Grealish (if fit), Phillips, Sancho, Saka, Bellingham, Lingard
Kane, Rashford, Calvert-Lewin, Watkins

Post #529625  Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:36 pm 

Read we are supposedly after Sheffield United's Sander Berge. I think too many clubs are after him, including Liverpool (doubt that but its in the rumor mill). He'll be too expensive I'm guessing.

Post #529626  Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:44 pm 

I can't dispute it. Right now, we are a name and that's about it. Our history maintains us a big club. Fanbase as well. But Man Utd had woeful seasons between 1967 and 1992.

https://www.sportbible.com/football/rivalries-news-former-spurs-players-says-leicester-city-are-a-better-club-20210517
Leicester City Are 'A Big Six Club' And 'Better' Than Tottenham Hotspur And Arsenal

Post #529627  Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:50 pm 

Writing something you all know anyway but as you know I sometimes peruse through old matches and such. I was looking at the 1977 season and wondering how big of an upset was it that Liverpool won the league but lost the FA Cup to hated rivals Man Utd and how big of an upset that may have been, especially denying them the double. Also I have long known we were in 3 straight cup finals. (How did we lose the 2 easier ones and win the toughest one?) but didn't know that Man Utd were in 3 cup finals in 4 years ('76, 77 and '79).

Anyway, I didn't know that Tottenham got relegated that season and barely made it up for promotion in '78 from what I see from the 2nd division table. Wow! Had no idea.

Post #529628  Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:45 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
The first Cup Final I vividly remember watching was Villa beating United on a black and white TV set!

As I'm sure you recall, OMOH, the main controversy of that game was McParland's 'shoulder charge' on the United keeper Ray Wood. Watching it these days, it is incredible not only for the fact that it was (arguably?) a legal challenge, but that Kenneth Wolstenholme is extremely disappointed in the United fans for their appalling lack of sportsmanship in booing the ref as Wood is eventually carried off. How dare they!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuL515DPIJ4&t=409s

I had never seen that. A truly grim spectacle. Like a totally different sport really.

Post #529629  Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:37 pm 

warrior wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

I believe he can fill in at keeper too. Handy if Leno is injured or has buggered off.

Post #529630  Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:48 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Yes not selecting Alexander Arnold would be the dumbest decision made by an England manager since Graham Taylor decided not to take England’s top Goalscorer Ian Wright to the 1992 Euro championships and decided to take Nigel Clough instead because of his surname.

Prat

Taking off Lineker when ye needed a goal to stay in the tournament was the pinnacle. Astounding decision.

Post #529631  Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:50 pm 

For me, TAA is the best fullback in the league and by some distance too. Brilliant player.

Post #529632  Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:18 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Prat

Taking off Lineker when ye needed a goal to stay in the tournament was the pinnacle. Astounding decision.

Believe it or not at the time I thought it was the right decision. Lineker had a shocking tournament and looked totally passed it. It’s only really seen as a wrong decision because Lineker took exception to it and he was unquestionable at the time. The real mistake was that he only had Alan Smith to bring on rather than a prime Ian Wright

Post #529633  Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:31 pm 

It will be interesting how the Harry Kane potential transfer plays out this summer. He's reportedly told Spurs he wants out, some reports saying he did this last summer and agreed to give them 1 more year. Levy isn't exactly known for being that accommodating in selling his players. Reports are he'll want £120m. I just can't see clubs paying that when you can get Haaland for that price this summer or for half that price next summer. You might even get Mbappe for that price. The age is a massive factor.

Chelsea, Man U and City are the 3 obvious teams interested. I think Kane would want to stay in England, he's got a young family as well. All 3 of those clubs need a striker and you could argue that if he were to sign for any of the 3 they'd become favourites for the title next year, or enhance that favourites tag in City's case.

I just can't see a team paying £120m for him in a post pandemic transfer window.

Post #529634  Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:11 pm 

Rich wrote:
It will be interesting how the Harry Kane potential transfer plays out this summer. He's reportedly told Spurs he wants out, some reports saying he did this last summer and agreed to give them 1 more year. Levy isn't exactly known for being that accommodating in selling his players. Reports are he'll want £120m. I just can't see clubs paying that when you can get Haaland for that price this summer or for half that price next summer. You might even get Mbappe for that price. The age is a massive factor.

Chelsea, Man U and City are the 3 obvious teams interested. I think Kane would want to stay in England, he's got a young family as well. All 3 of those clubs need a striker and you could argue that if he were to sign for any of the 3 they'd become favourites for the title next year, or enhance that favourites tag in City's case.

I just can't see a team paying £120m for him in a post pandemic transfer window.

Hi Rich,

If he stays in England then whomever of the big four (City, United, Chelsea or Liverpool) gets him will make an obvious step up in the quality of their attack and will likely challenge for the title, if they aren't already title holders.

If Chelsea, Man U or Liverpool get him I think it cements their place in the top four, making our efforts to get CL next year even more difficult.

I hope he goes abroad but Real and Barca don't have the money, he's too expensive for Bayern and the italian clubs leaving only PSG as a real option in europe.

Post #529635  Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:17 pm 

A wee bit cool

Post #529636  Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:29 pm 

socrates wrote:
….
I hope he goes abroad but Real and Barca don't have the money, he's too expensive for Bayern and the italian clubs leaving only PSG as a real option in europe.

He’s off to the chavs, you heard it here first.

Post #529637  Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:15 am 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
socrates wrote:
….

It's one of those signings that is very good on paper, but there is a big element of risk involved. The money will be absolutely ridiculous, and he's turning 28 in the summer. with quite a few injuries in the last few seasons.

Man Utd seems like the best fit to me, their best central striker is 34, and they'd have a great supporting cast around Kane. It would limit their ability to strengthen other areas of the team though - their central midfield is atrocious and they probably need to upgrade their goalkeeper and central midfield as well.

Post #529638  Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:51 am 

I may be accused of being a pessimist but I'd rather use the term 'realist'. I am not at all confident about us winning at Selhurst Park. My guess is we'll get a draw. I hope we win, even though I have a soft spot for Palace. They might have been my club instead of Arsenal (along with another club). I actually though Palace were a 'bigger' club than Arsenal because I had heard of them before I got into football, but have never heard of The Arsenal.

Post #529639  Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:26 am 

Lots of stories in the media about Bertrand and a number of other free transfers. We should not be dreaming of any player who is over 25. Any replacements should be young and be pushing to actually replace the person currently in the position. Even if they are a couple of seasons away from being the number 1, competition will keep everyone one on their toes. If they develop well they will either replace the encumbent or be sold for a good profit.

I repeat my concerns that Arteta has no history to demonstrate he has an eye of selecting good players. In the midfield we need only midfielders who can play a position and not be forcing a right side midfielder to play central or Partey to play a role he is not familiar with. I am hoping most of the stories are just fluff.

Post #529640  Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:58 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:

It's one of those signings that is very good on paper, but there is a big element of risk involved. The money will be absolutely ridiculous, and he's turning 28 in the summer. with quite a few injuries in the last few seasons.

Man Utd seems like the best fit to me, their best central striker is 34, and they'd have a great supporting cast around Kane. It would limit their ability to strengthen other areas of the team though - their central midfield is atrocious and they probably need to upgrade their goalkeeper and central midfield as well.

He’s a home bird, and recently made quite a large investment near Cobham.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13238, 13239, 13240, 13241, 13242, 13243, 13244 ... 14269  Next