Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 112 guests

Post #550681  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:45 am 

I think Man U are going to dump something like £200m in the last few days of the window.

Lots of rival fans point to us having spent £250-300m in Arteta's time in charge, but the reality is we've bought essentially an entire new squad with that money.
Ramsdale, Turner, White, Gabriel, Tomiyasu, Cédric, Zinchenko, Tavares, Partey, Lokonga, Vieira, Ødegaard, Jesus and add bringing through academy products Saka, Emile Smith Rowe and Nketiah, and being the first manager to play Saliba......

So that's 12 first team players and 3 academy graduates.

If you took a team like Man U and gave them £250m could they build a side as competitive as ours and have it set for the next 5 years because of the age profile?

Post #550682  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:53 am 

...or write off the first half of the season. Plan for a change in management and new players in January.

Post #550683  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:18 am 

Rich wrote:
The documentary shows the leaders in the team. From my view it’s clear the leader in the dressing room above all others is Xhaka. Other leaders in different ways look to be Holding, Cédric, Lacazette….other vocal or personable players are Ramsdale and Saka. Seems to be a lot of very quiet and shy players though.
But having watched it all especially the dressing room parts pre match, half time and post match there does still seem to be a lack of genuine natural leadership in the group. Perhaps it’s youth, perhaps inexperience. It doesn’t have to be someone who shouts and screams but it is someone in those difficult moments who pulls people together.

From my view it is 95% Arteta doing all of this role still.

I have found myself being surprised just how much one way ranting there is in the dressing room, particularly when things haven’t gone well.

I had kind of expected a multi-way dialogue about why what had been planned wasn’t happening and to get the team invested in fixing it. It comes across as schoolboys trying to avoid the headmaster’s gaze.

Hopefully some of this is to do with dramatisation by Amazon and bigging up certain parts.

I expect that there is more under the covers. If it was only ranting without substance then we wouldn’t be making the progress that we are.

Post #550684  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:10 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:
The documentary shows the leaders in the team. From my view it’s clear the leader in the dressing room above all others is Xhaka. Other leaders in different ways look to be Holding, Cédric, Lacazette….other vocal or personable players are Ramsdale and Saka. Seems to be a lot of very quiet and shy players though.
But having watched it all especially the dressing room parts pre match, half time and post match there does still seem to be a lack of genuine natural leadership in the group. Perhaps it’s youth, perhaps inexperience. It doesn’t have to be someone who shouts and screams but it is someone in those difficult moments who pulls people together.

From my view it is 95% Arteta doing all of this role still.

I have found myself being surprised just how much one way ranting there is in the dressing room, particularly when things haven’t gone well.

I had kind of expected a multi-way dialogue about why what had been planned wasn’t happening and to get the team invested in fixing it. It comes across as schoolboys trying to avoid the headmaster’s gaze.

Hopefully some of this is to do with dramatisation by Amazon and bigging up certain parts.

I expect that there is more under the covers. If it was only ranting without substance then we wouldn’t be making the progress that we are.

It’s a Very young squad I get the impression that when things haven’t gone our way Arteta hits them with his thoughts and addresses it on the Monday after.

There a very few experienced pros in that dressing room. Xhaka, partey and a departing Lacazette. Nobody had really been there and done it.

Xhaka comes across well I thought

The managers comments I thought were spot on about certain things especially what the *%^@ was happening during the Everton and Newcastle away games. Not winning a first, second or third ball.

All in all I think that documentary has helped the club and the efforts to humanise the relationship with the fans, you can see after defeats they are gutted.

Post #550685  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:48 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
It’s a Very young squad I get the impression that when things haven’t gone our way Arteta hits them with his thoughts and addresses it on the Monday after.

There a very few experienced pros in that dressing room. Xhaka, partey and a departing Lacazette. Nobody had really been there and done it.

Xhaka comes across well I thought

The managers comments I thought were spot on about certain things especially what the *%^@ was happening during the Everton and Newcastle away games. Not winning a first, second or third ball.

All in all I think that documentary has helped the club and the efforts to humanise the relationship with the fans, you can see after defeats they are gutted.

I think these documentaries help all fans understand the players better. You often hear 'oh the players don't care' - they obviously do care, they're all devastated when they lose and carry it for a while, every player at every club. I think criticisms of lack of effort are more appropriate from fans than 'they don't care'.
Effort is interesting though, we expect 100% from every player for 95 minutes irrespective of the score, any injury, any tactical instruction or anything else tat might be going on in their life. It is a lot easier to show that commitment and effort when a) everyone else in the team is doing it b)the crowd is supporting you and c) when you're winning

In terms of Arteta, I think the positives far outweigh the negatives from the documentary and we must remember he's a complete rookie, the equivalent of a 19 year old striker starting for us week in week out. I think he will learn when to go at the players and when to not, and will learn how to channel his passion to the players so it isn't the headmaster ranting at his pupils. I recall Wenger once said he would limit the amount of times he goes absolutely crazy at the players through a season as if you do it too often it hugely loses impact.

Post #550686  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:56 am 

Fora club that is prone to spending huge sums on players Real Madrid have done pretty well to move on their older players for decent sums of money and have a good stream of younger players ready to fill the void.

Casemiro for £70m at 30 years old is too good for them to turn down, especially as they have Tchoumeni and Camavinga waiting to step in

Post #550687  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:13 am 

Rich wrote:

Casemiro for £70m at 30 years old is too good for them to turn down, especially as they have Tchoumeni and Camavinga waiting to step in

That’s crazy. This is a trolley dash reminiscent of the 6-1 week when we signed a spew of players in days out of desperation. (It’s crazy to think we didn’t fire wenger after that moment, and people think we are doing bad now !)

They are offering crazy money for any old *%^@. It’s wonderful :laughing7:

Post #550688  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:29 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

That’s crazy. This is a trolley dash reminiscent of the 6-1 week when we signed a spew of players in days out of desperation. (It’s crazy to think we didn’t fire wenger after that moment, and people think we are doing bad now !)

I guess you mean the 8-2? We finished third that season, which wasn't too disastrous.

Post #550689  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:31 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I guess you mean the 8-2? We finished third that season, which wasn't too disastrous.

Oh yeah that was it. We had some really heavy defeats and I forgot which one it was. 8 *%^@*** goals

Post #550690  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:31 am 

For extra context, we got one point more in the 8-2 season than 2021/22 and finished two places higher. It's a funny old game, football.

Post #550691  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:52 am 

DECAF - Question for you please if you've a moment.

Watching the cricket with Nortje batting.

We brits would normally pronounce his name Norcha but the commentators seem to be pronouncing it is Nor-Keeya, or am I mis-hearing?

I get the -eeya but why the K?

Post #550692  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:56 pm 

Arteta's first match as manager was v Bournemouth - here's the line up from that game.

Leno
Sokratis
David Luiz
Maitland-Niles
Saka
Xhaka
Torreira
Nelson
Özil
Aubamenyang
Lacazette

Aaron Ramsdale played for Bournemouth

Post #550693  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:05 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

2011/12 season, such a strange one. We had the last minute trolley dash which was after the 8-2 and a 2-0 home loss to Liverpool in which Frimpong got sent off. The Man U game had players like Gilles Sunu on the bench. Arteta and Per came in to steady the ship, little did we know they'd be running the club 10 years later.
We beat Chelsea away 5-3 and 2-1 away at Liverpool and beat Spurs at home 5-2 . Lost 4-3 at blackburn and had 10 defeats in the season. Van Persie scored 30 league goals, we were knocked out of the CL by AC Milan after nearly completing a miraculous comeback at home after losing the first leg 4-0 and on the final day we edged past west brom 3-2 thanks to a last minute Gibbs block (which I think had that famous moment of Wenger almost asking Pat Rice to cradle him as he couldn't take the tension!) We finished 3rd just ahead of Spurs and at that time only the top 3 got Champions league!

Post #550694  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:59 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

Oh yeah that was it. We had some really heavy defeats and I forgot which one it was. 8 *%^@*** goals

I remember that 8-2 very clearly.

I was in Cape Cod for the wedding of one of my son’s best mates.

A hurricane had wiped out the electricity but the Yanks set up a generator and huge screen especially so that we (several of us there) could watch the big match first thing in the morning. Oh boy. What a score. Plenty of p*** taking from the non Gooners.

Post #550695  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:06 pm 

Arteta said everybody is fit! Cédric, Emile Smith Rowe and Vieira played the U21 game, came through unscathed and are available for selection.

The bench last time out was: Turner, Tierney, Holding, Tomiyasu, Elneny, Lokonga, Nketiah, Emile Smith Rowe, Pépé

There is 18 senior players plus Cédric and Vieira. Add in Bellerin, AMN, Nelson and Marquinhos (who Arteta has said won't go on loan)

Post #550696  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:09 pm 

Arteta also said he's 'very confident' over Saka's new contract. Whenever Arteta has said that before the player has signed - I'm thinking Balogan and Nketiah previously

Post #550697  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:47 pm 

DHD wrote:

We brits would normally pronounce his name Norcha but the commentators seem to be pronouncing it is Nor-Keeya, or am I mis-hearing?

Greetings DHD

tj is a ch sound. Chapter would be Tjapter. But it becomes a hard K if it has an e after it. k and c are both soft (kay and cee).

Its a bit more guttural than k in english.

If you think about clearing your throat, but actually don't, you get roughly the right sound.

It is a wonderfully earthy language.

Post #550698  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:58 pm 

Decaf wrote:
DHD wrote:

Greetings DHD

tj is a ch sound. Chapter would be Tjapter. But it becomes a hard K if it has an e after it. k and c are both soft (kay and cee).

Its a bit more guttural than k in english.

If you think about clearing your throat, but actually don't, you get roughly the right sound.

It is a wonderfully earthy language.

Thanks Decaf - much obliged for clearing that up.

I'm afraid to us Brits, most Affrikaaners, Dutch and Germans tend to sound a like a bunch of porridge eaters. No offence. I know you guys rip the piss out of us effete Englanders.

In my defence, I have been to the Monument to the Afrikaans Language in Paarl. Have you?

EDIT
And congrats on a thumping win at Lord's. Innings and some spare with two and a half days left. Because most of Day 1 was lost, it's effectively over inside 2 days. That is a right royal stuffing. So much for Baz-Ball.

Just as well I ducked out of going tomorrow, as I'd originally planned.

Post #550699  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:22 pm 

Saka grew up in the club. Seems to have a level head. Gotta assume the dream of anyone who came up through the academy as young as he dreams of playing first team football and being a star for said club. Emile Smith Rowe and Saka are no different it seems. It's not always the case, Rooney comes to mind. It didn't take much for him to abandon Everton. Not saying it didn't turn out great but it wasn't like he was weeping about it either.

Post #550700  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:29 pm 

Been watching a bit of Shearer. I am reminded just how powerful of a shot he had.

Post #550701  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:33 pm 

Pépé on loan to Nice is advancing. Nice owned by Sir Jim Radcliffe - Britains wealthiest man apparently - and someone who has been in the news about a possible take over of Man U.

If Pépé goes I think we certainly see a new right winger come in

minutes per goal or assist for Arsenal
Pépé 172
Overmars 174
Özil 175
Ljungberg 217

Post #550702  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:40 pm 

Rich wrote:
Pépé on loan to Nice is advancing. Nice owned by Sir Jim Radcliffe - Britains wealthiest man apparently - and someone who has been in the news about a possible take over of Man U.

Pépé 172
Overmars 174
Özil 175
Ljungberg 217

Pépé had the attributes including skill and pace to be a top player. Despite the stats you show, it never really worked out for him at Arsenal.

Post #550703  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:45 pm 

Rich wrote:

Pépé 172
Overmars 174
Özil 175
Ljungberg 217

He’s great in the final third and his shooting is incredibly accurate, can take free kicks really well too. This is the frustrating thing, he is a threat just look at wolves home last season when he came on.

It’s just that he hasn’t got a footballing brain defensively, takes risks in midfield and these days I’m not sure you can have a winger who doesn’t assume defensive responsibilities also. They all seem in tune with the game these days and saka is a true example of it.

It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if he went somewhere else and they managed to get a tune out of him by playing him a different way and moving other players around to cover his faults.

Totally frustrating player

Post #550704  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:50 pm 

Rumour has it Tielemans has been left out of the Leicester squad for tomorrows game. He’s not injured either

I suppose it’s the final full week before the transfer window closes so they are concerned with him getting an injury that could cost the club a 30 million pound fee.

Part of me expects him to rock up at man united as part of their absurd trolley dash

Post #550705  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:22 pm 

Rich wrote:

Those Mancs need to be careful what they wish for. Radcliffe is an utter a******.

Post #550706  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:50 pm 

Steve Braddock, the groundsman, passing away today is reported on Arsenal.com. Very sad. He was at the hospice where my wife is a nurse, although he died at home. Thierry Henry often phoned him, which cheered him up.

Post #550707  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:58 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Steve Braddock, the groundsman, passing away today is reported on Arsenal.com. Very sad. He was at the hospice where my wife is a nurse, although he died at home. Thierry Henry often phoned him, which cheered him up.

He was famous for his Highbury pitches. Quite revolutionary at the time.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/19562669 ... roundsman/

It’s a heartening tale about Thierry’s ongoing contact.

Only 58. Wow.

Post #550708  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:19 pm 

I read that neither Tuchel or Conte will get touchline bans for the next game? What’s the point of the red card? They had both had yellow cards before in the game so it wasn’t just a momentary lapse, they were both at it all game. If you’re sent off you get suspended no matter who you are.

Post #550709  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:21 pm 

Rich wrote:

Pépé 172
Overmars 174
Özil 175
Ljungberg 217

Stats aside, as well as obvious skill on the ball, I just felt he lacked the mindset of a team player some if not most of the time. He got better at team football but I just got the impression he had more of a desire to show his skill than make the requisite pass instead. Pépé was going to do what Pépé wanted and not what the team needed from him. Maybe it wasn't so, but that's what I got from his game.

Post #550710  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:22 pm 

DHD wrote:
Rich wrote:

Those Mancs need to be careful what they wish for. Radcliffe is an utter a******.

Utter *%^@*** a******

Another brexit moron who demanded brexit happen then 3 years later moved his manufacturing to France then moved to Monaco himself.

It grates that these scumbags are insistent on everyone in Britain dealing with the consequences whilst they sun themselves abroad

Post #550711  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:28 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rumour has it Tielemans has been left out of the Leicester squad for tomorrows game. He’s not injured either

I suppose it’s the final full week before the transfer window closes so they are concerned with him getting an injury that could cost the club a 30 million pound fee.

Part of me expects him to rock up at man united as part of their absurd trolley dash

Fofana as well has asked to be left out.

Tough on Leicester who were for so long seen as a way a team can put smart the market. A couple of mistakes and it can hit hard though.

It’s also difficult whether a club of Leicesters size sells or tries to hold out for more. Sell earlier and you can get your replacement in but you might not get the top price. To be honest every team should have a plan and ideal replacement for every player in your squad.

Post #550712  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:28 pm 

Rich wrote:
I read that neither Tuchel or Conte will get touchline bans for the next game? What’s the point of the red card? They had both had yellow cards before in the game so it wasn’t just a momentary lapse, they were both at it all game. If you’re sent off you get suspended no matter who you are.

Wenger got a 4 game ban for swearing at an official

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... fa-arsenal

Post #550713  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:49 pm 

The MU trolley dash could happen given this report. Not necessarily reflects the reason Tielemans left out of Leicester's squad. Fofana asked to be, so Tielemans may have also done so.

If United turn towards signing Tielemans with deals for Frenkie de Jong and Rabiot looking increasingly unlikely to go through, it might push Arsenal to hurry up and get the Belgian's signature. If that does happen, Arteta won't want to wait until next summer when the 25-year-old's contract expires.

Post #550714  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:16 pm 

Zed wrote:
The MU trolley dash could happen given this report. Not necessarily reflects the reason Tielemans left out of Leicester's squad. Fofana asked to be, so Tielemans may have also done so.

If United turn towards signing Tielemans with deals for Frenkie de Jong and Rabiot looking increasingly unlikely to go through, it might push Arsenal to hurry up and get the Belgian's signature. If that does happen, Arteta won't want to wait until next summer when the 25-year-old's contract expires.

I still think it’s highly debatable whether Arteta fancies Tielemans as a player. The guy has been available all summer, apparently for £25m. Meanwhile we’ve spent £120m on other players. Plenty of players have gone or are on the point of departure. Hence I’m unconvinced by the ‘waiting to get people out the door’ rationale for not signing him.

Tielemans was outclassed by Xhaka last week. Even Partey, who didn’t have one of his better games, was comfortably better. Would Tielemans actually improve the first eleven? I remember DHD suggesting perhaps he was playing to get away. If that is the case, alongside all the accusations from Leicester fans last season that he wasn’t even trying, is Tielemans really the type of character or person we want at Arsenal? Just when everyone including the ownership regime, management hierarchy, players and fans seem at long last to be moving in the same direction?

Post #550715  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:17 pm 

Chelsea have bid 15m euros plus Alonso for Aubameyang.

Post #550716  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:24 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

I still think it’s highly debatable whether Arteta fancies Tielemans as a player. The guy has been available all summer, apparently for £25m. Meanwhile we’ve spent £120m on other players. Plenty of players have gone or are on the point of departure. Hence I’m unconvinced by the ‘waiting to get people out the door’ rationale for not signing him.

Tielemans was outclassed by Xhaka last week. Even Partey, who didn’t have one of his better games, was comfortably better. Would Tielemans actually improve the first eleven? I remember DHD suggesting perhaps he was playing to get away. If that is the case, alongside all the accusations from Leicester fans last season that he wasn’t even trying, is Tielemans really the type of character or person we want at Arsenal? Just when everyone including the ownership regime, management hierarchy, players and fans seem at long last to be moving in the same direction?

So far not seen anything indicating MA doesn't fancy Tielemans. Only see Arsenal stiil interested. Not certain what Edu's personal stance is though. Thought only terms were agreed with Leicester, but no formal bid made, except cost range is £25M thereabouts. Have seen indications that Edu is looking at another Brazilian, Lucas Paquetá from Lyon though, who's a midfielder.

Post #550717  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:50 pm 

Zed wrote:
Bernard wrote:

So far not seen anything indicating MA doesn't fancy Tielemans. Only see Arsenal stiil interested. Not certain what Edu's personal stance is though. Thought only terms were agreed with Leicester, but no formal bid made, except cost range is £25M thereabouts. Have seen indications that Edu is looking at another Brazilian, Lucas Paquetá from Lyon though, who's a midfielder.

But if Arteta wanted him, why hasn’t he been recruited yet? It just doesn’t make sense. He’s been available all summer so how trustworthy are all the reports linking us with him? £25m is easily affordable.

What terms have been agreed with Leicester if no formal offer has been made? The transfer fee is surely the main thing to sort out with Leicester. So why has no offer been made if Arteta really does want him?

Post #550718  Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:38 am 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

But if Arteta wanted him, why hasn’t he been recruited yet? It just doesn’t make sense. He’s been available all summer so how trustworthy are all the reports linking us with him? £25m is easily affordable.

What terms have been agreed with Leicester if no formal offer has been made? The transfer fee is surely the main thing to sort out with Leicester. So why has no offer been made if Arteta really does want him?

Very early in the off-season Arsenal Vision (podcast) did a detailed look at his style of play. Going forward absolutely brilliant but after loss of possession very slow to recover and get back. I think he may not be the box to box player we want. Looking at the Leicester game he was pretty ordinary. So having said all that no doubt we will sign him this weekend.

Post #550719  Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:42 am 

Rich wrote:
Chelsea have bid 15m euros plus Alonso for Aubameyang.

Hope he goes there and fail. Beginning to dislike Aubameyang a lot.

Post #550720  Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:43 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Very early in the off-season Arsenal Vision (podcast) did a detailed look at his style of play. Going forward absolutely brilliant but after loss of possession very slow to recover and get back. I think he may not be the box to box player we want. Looking at the Leicester game he was pretty ordinary. So having said all that no doubt we will sign him this weekend.

We sign him and then he starts to put in MOTM performances for us :26encouragement:
Similar to Ramsdale

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13765, 13766, 13767, 13768, 13769, 13770, 13771 ... 14269  Next