Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 109 guests

Post #531201  Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:23 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
:58big-emoticons:

TG and AG, what a combination.

Poor diddums

Post #531202  Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:35 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Poor diddums

Your new favourite phrase.

Post #531203  Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:36 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Poor diddums

Your new favourite phrase.

Certainly is

Post #531204  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:49 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Your opinion of players is, in my view, influenced way too much by whether you like them.

Not me. How many times has Kante been booed off the pitch by his own fans. Zero

You can’t admit the truth

You seem to want to draw comparisons between Xhaka and Kante. The truth is that not being as good as Kante does not make Xhaka as bad as you suggest: namely the worst player you’ve seen play for the club regardless of qualifications like appearances or fees.

I’ve said here before. I was at that game when Xhaka was booed off the pitch. It was a small if not tiny minority, albeit a very vocal one. In a crowd of 60k statistically you’ll always get a few idiots. Different crowd size but when we drew 2-2 at Stamford Bridge in January last year, Martinelli scored his goal because Kante slipped and fell over, putting Martinelli through on goal.

For many years now I’ve gone home from Chelsea getting a train from Fulham Broadway tube station. On the train the huge majority were Chelsea fans. Clearly an immediate reaction to him falling over but there were some Chelsea fans moaning about Kante, with a couple of morons even saying get rid of him. Take people from any grouping imaginable and I’m sure you will be able to find people who don’t think things through so end up making ridiculous points. Football fans of any club, including Arsenal, are one of them.

Post #531205  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:39 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

You seem to want to draw comparisons between Xhaka and Kante. The truth is that not being as good as Kante does not make Xhaka as bad as you suggest: namely the worst player you’ve seen play for the club regardless of qualifications like appearances or fees.

I’ve said here before. I was at that game when Xhaka was booed off the pitch. It was a small if not tiny minority, albeit a very vocal one. In a crowd of 60k statistically you’ll always get a few idiots. Different crowd size but when we drew 2-2 at Stamford Bridge in January last year, Martinelli scored his goal because Kante slipped and fell over, putting Martinelli through on goal.

For many years now I’ve gone home from Chelsea getting a train from Fulham Broadway tube station. On the train the huge majority were Chelsea fans. Clearly an immediate reaction to him falling over but there were some Chelsea fans moaning about Kante, with a couple of morons even saying get rid of him. Take people from any grouping imaginable and I’m sure you will be able to find people who don’t think things through so end up making ridiculous points. Football fans of any club, including Arsenal, are one of them.

It's just a typical Top Gun ploy, Bernard: when he's losing the argument, he changes the terms of the argument. As you've said, TG reckons Xhaka is the worst player he's seen play for the club - Kante being a better player than Xhaka is irrelevant.

Post #531206  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:41 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Poor diddums

Poor diddums = I've run out of coherent arguments and concede defeat with a nonsensical phrase.

Post #531207  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:28 am 

I'll feel sorry for Sako if he is not played but he will have a long, arduous season ahead for us so the more rest he can have the better for us.
https://metro.co.uk/2021/06/26/gareth-southgate-set-to-recall-mason-mount-and-drop-bukayo-saka-for-england-vs-germany-clash-14834178/?ito=newsnow-feed

Post #531208  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:09 am 

Took a little break from following football and slowly getting back into it. Ben White, huh? Okay, the reported 50 mil seems steep but I'm grudgingly okay with that much for a proper, quality CB alongside Gabriel.

If we can get a decent playmaker to partner with Partey we will be 'top 6' contenders in earnest. I think. Yes we lack other positions but we have enough to make a go of it. But obviously far from a completed roster.

Post #531209  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:41 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Poor diddums

Poor diddums = I've run out of coherent arguments and concede defeat with a nonsensical phrase.

What arguments ? If people wanna get upset about perfectly logical posts it’s up to them.

Post #531210  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:46 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Bernard wrote:

It's just a typical Top Gun ploy, Bernard: when he's losing the argument, he changes the terms of the argument. As you've said, TG reckons Xhaka is the worst player he's seen play for the club - Kante being a better player than Xhaka is irrelevant.

You are misquoting me. As I pointed out to Bernard I never said that I said relevant to the transfer fee. Check the original post.

If you are unable to read the English language you shouldn't participate in a forum that requires it. You clearly don’t know how to read and are probably uneducated.

Post #531211  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:54 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
If you are unable to read the English language you shouldn't participate in a forum that requires it. You clearly don’t know how to read and are probably uneducated.

Says the person who fails to use “your” and “you’re” correctly.

Please behave yourself.

Post #531212  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:55 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

:53big-emoticons:

Post #531213  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:59 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Your right about fans moaning about good players lord knows football fans are shortsighted sometimes.

But how many times was Vieira booed off the pitch by his own fans? Or Cesc ? Or petit ? That is unique territory for a footballer and in no way can be dismissed when trying to evaluate a players quality.

Next time Kante plays watch how his energy invigorates his team, how he offers Pogba a platform to do his thing. Arsenal just haven’t had that for years. Anyway I’ve said enough on the topic

Post #531214  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:01 am 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Please behave yourself.

So folks are allowed to make things up and misquote me are they.

Disappointing comment I’m afraid

Post #531215  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:03 am 

Reminds me of this sketch:

Post #531216  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:29 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Please behave yourself.

And now in exiled Royals style we have the ‘I’m the victim’ post. Please finish your homework, have a hot chocolate, quick pee and go to bed, as any other 12 year old would.

Post #531217  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:40 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

And now in exiled Royals style we have the ‘I’m the victim’ post. Please finish your homework, have a hot chocolate, quick pee and go to bed, as any other 12 year old would.

Hardly! do I come across as someone who needs or garners acceptance.

You perform Erotic asphyxiation everytime Arsenal lose a game. Sort yourself out.

Post #531218  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:10 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Your right about fans moaning about good players lord knows football fans are shortsighted sometimes.

But how many times was Vieira booed off the pitch by his own fans? Or Cesc ? Or petit ? That is unique territory for a footballer and in no way can be dismissed when trying to evaluate a players quality.

Next time Kante plays watch how his energy invigorates his team, how he offers Pogba a platform to do his thing. Arsenal just haven’t had that for years. Anyway I’ve said enough on the topic

More than enough. But arguments are not won by wordcount, or by exiting stage left.

I seem to remember Petit stinking the place out towards the end of his time at Arsenal. The final against Galatassary is case in point. People on this forum moaned a great deal about Cesc at times too.

Every single player has his ups and down. Your blessed Kante was off form for much of last season. Even Messi gets stick from the more Trumpish of the Barca fans sometimes.

Post #531219  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:13 am 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

More than enough. But arguments are not won by wordcount, or by exiting stage left.

I simply wanted to point out Bernard was misquoting me not start another pointless debate on it which has been done to death so I’m not exiting anything.

Post #531220  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:22 am 

Decaf wrote:

I enjoyed that. Thanks for posting that Decaf.

Post #531221  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:28 am 

Decaf wrote:

No, it doesn't.

Post #531222  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:29 am 

Decaf wrote:

Hilarious

Post #531223  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:45 am 

Just read that Gina Coladangelo is the niece of Bob Wilson. Remarkable connection.

Post #531224  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:48 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

You’re still trying to draw comparisons with Kante. Arguably the best midfielder in England over the last five or six years despite some Chelsea fans slagging him off because he slipped over to concede a goal. Now you’re saying Vieira, Petit and Fabregas were never booed at Arsenal. I would have a central midfield of Vieira and Petit in my best ever Arsenal team (from those I’ve seen anyway). I have little or no doubt Fabregas would get in many younger (or should I say less old) fans’ teams as the creative midfielder, although I would personally go for Brady as unlike Fabregas he could run with the ball as well as doing everything with the ball in terms of creative passing and control that Fabregas could. In other words, you’re drawing comparisons with three of Arsenal’s best ever midfielders, as well as arguably the best in the country in recent years.

Has anyone ever claimed Xhaka is at that level? Not that I’m aware of, so it’s a meaningless comparison. What I will say is that Xhaka has made meaningful contributions to two FA Cup final wins. He wasn’t the best player in either game (Mertesacker in 2017 and possibly Aubameyang in 2020). But he had fine games in both, and better than simply ‘fine’ in 2020. Overall he’s easily done enough to make a claim that he’s Arsenal’s worst ever player, whether qualifications like appearances or fees are used or not, laughably ridiculous.

As I said yesterday, I think DHD got it spot on quite recently. We can moan all we like about Xhaka’s shortcomings, perhaps most obviously a lack of pace. But as DHD said words to the effect of, we routinely look better with Xhaka in the team, or was it worse without him? Perhaps a worthwhile comparison is Jon Sammels. Before the time of most people here. But extremely unpopular with a fair number of Arsenal fans, far more so than Xhaka now. But ask OMOH. Way better than his critics made out, just like Xhaka is with you.

Post #531225  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:48 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Decaf wrote:

No, it doesn't.

:happy11: :happy11:

Post #531226  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:03 am 

gooner7 wrote:
]

Hilarious

John Cleese's ability to portray these absurd characters and make them believable is utterly priceless.

Post #531227  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:36 am 

The Ødegaard alternative

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... e-24406022

Post #531228  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:37 am 

Decaf wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
]

Hilarious

John Cleese's ability to portray these absurd characters and make them believable is utterly priceless.

I'd never seen that before, Decaf. Just brilliant.

Post #531229  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:02 am 

Decaf wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
]

Hilarious

And he maintains a deadpan face so well

Post #531230  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:50 pm 

Hakimi has joined PSG from Inter for 60m euros plus 10m add ons. Must be a world record for a full back.
Inter are meant to be very keen on Bellerin. Handy for us that they are now flush with cash. I’m sure Bellerin will enjoy the scene in Milan as well.
Good move for all parties and no Arsenal fan should have a bad word to say about Bellerin really.

Post #531231  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:54 pm 

Watched an interview with Fabrizio Romano (has a lot of inside scoops on transfers) about Arsenal's business. A few things he said that I can remember.
One of Holding or Saliba could leave
If Willock goes it will be for a big fee £30m plus, otherwise Arsenal will keep him.
Real interest in Nketiah from Leverkusen and West Ham, Arsenal pushing for £20m but there is also a contract on the table for him to extend.
He said again Willian is 100% leaving
Guendouzi, Xhaka and torriera will all leave but agreements on fees with various clubs need to happen

Aouar is a non starter because he wants champions league
Camavinga is ‘very very difficult’ for Arsenal to do

Post #531232  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:12 pm 

Rich wrote:
Hakimi has joined PSG from Inter for 60m euros plus 10m add ons. Must be a world record for a full back.
Inter are meant to be very keen on Bellerin. Handy for us that they are now flush with cash. I’m sure Bellerin will enjoy the scene in Milan as well.
Good move for all parties and no Arsenal fan should have a bad word to say about Bellerin really.

I’ve always been impressed with Bellerin, both as a player and as a person. Top rate. I wish him well for the future.

Post #531233  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:55 pm 

Rich wrote:
Watched an interview with Fabrizio Romano (has a lot of inside scoops on transfers) about Arsenal's business. A few things he said that I can remember.
If Willock goes it will be for a big fee £30m plus, otherwise Arsenal will keep him.
Real interest in Nketiah from Leverkusen and West Ham, Arsenal pushing for £20m but there is also a contract on the table for him to extend.
Guendouzi, Xhaka and torriera will all leave but agreements on fees with various clubs need to happen

So that's seven players out, none in. Sounds promising.

Post #531234  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:06 pm 

Rich wrote:

If Saliba leaves and does as well as we suspect, I'll be like that scene in The Godfather where Vito makes a deal with all the families "I'll blame some people in this room". Holding has done well. I've liked him ever since he played a blinder in the FA Cup final against Chelsea a few years back. I think he's best used as a good 3rd CB.

I would assume Saliba would be the one being sold. Makes sense. Holding has proven himself, ,Saliba hasn't (seemingly to no fault of his own).

We come out of all this with a quality, top 6 or preferably top 4 quality CB and a decent quarterback in front of Partey and I'll be satisfied. Not happy but I'll at least go into the season with a semblance of confidence we have a decent run at top 6 and with some luck top 4.

I am expecting Tottenham to be weaker. I don't see Man Utd doing well with OGS despite the away unbeaten record. He's way too inconsistent. Chelsea? They have a better manager. They'll be as good or better. Leicester has proven they belong. Liverpool will be back, they may not recover enough to be champions but I can easily see them top 3. City should win it again.

Post #531235  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:07 pm 

Rich wrote:
no Arsenal fan should have a bad word to say about Bellerin really.

...but you know some will. haha

Post #531236  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:09 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

I’ve always been impressed with Bellerin, both as a player and as a person. Top rate. I wish him well for the future.

Couldn’t agree more. A good player and very likeable person.

Post #531237  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:44 pm 

I watched Austria vs Italy yesterday
Thought Lainer would be a good replacement for Hector if as seems likely he’s off. Schlager and Interiger caught my eye too
Hlozek from Czech Rep can play also. Had a good game today.

Post #531238  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:50 pm 

Sneaky bid for Schick anyone?

Post #531239  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:20 pm 

Rich wrote:

If this is anything to go by from Arteta. Rennes want £86M, yet elsewhere said £43M for him. Probably doubtful if happening.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sports ... 52799.html

Post #531240  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:33 pm 

Just had a look at the draw in England’s half of the Euros. The winner of the England vs Germany last sixteen match at Wembley (I expect England to win) on Tuesday will play Sweden or the Ukraine in Rome in the quarter final. The winner of that game will play either Denmark or the Czech Republic at Wembley in the semi final.

I think it was socrates who recently said that if England do beat Germany, which I certainly expect them to, then on paper they look firm favourites to reach the final. I know football is mostly played on grass not paper, but I will be surprised if England don’t reach the final.

With England playing all their games apart from the quarter final (against Sweden or the Ukraine) at Wembley, however far they get including the final, this looks a really good opportunity to win a major tournament.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13278, 13279, 13280, 13281, 13282, 13283, 13284 ... 14269  Next