Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 90 guests

Post #532201  Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:08 am 

Fat Sam was a huge fan of Carroll and I know he's viewed as a big waste but I always thought he could be a fairly dangerous player with the right set up. Okay...okay...stop laughing...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57884925

Post #532202  Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:29 am 

Those stats don't show that White is appreciably better than our centre backs. He played some games at right back so the "attacking" stats should be better. Also, I don't agree with Rich's point about needing a new central defender to improve our attacking. That could be said for fullbacks but building attacks through the middle of the pitch rests with midfielders. And as for dribbling out of defence....no thanks.

If we were paying £30m for White, that would be fine. £50m is way over the top. We are talking about a player who has played a single season of top flight football and one in which nobody was really talking about him until he got called up to England's large pre-Euros squad. That fee will also put a lot of pressure on him to deliver.

Our midfield is our biggest area of weakness by a long way and that is where the investment should be going. Maybe, I am jumping the gun and we will spend £60m or £70m on a midfielder. I won't hold my breath on that one.

Post #532203  Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:45 am 

So, White is not good in the air...allegedly.
https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/transfer-news/ben-white-mikel-arteta-arsenal-20980317

Post #532204  Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:50 am 

dec wrote:
Those stats don't show that White is appreciably better than our centre backs. He played some games at right back so the "attacking" stats should be better. Also, I don't agree with Rich's point about needing a new central defender to improve our attacking. That could be said for fullbacks but building attacks through the middle of the pitch rests with midfielders. And as for dribbling out of defence....no thanks.

If we were paying £30m for White, that would be fine. £50m is way over the top. We are talking about a player who has played a single season of top flight football and one in which nobody was really talking about him until he got called up to England's large pre-Euros squad. That fee will also put a lot of pressure on him to deliver.

Let me tell you something no matter how the kid performs he will have people on his back here on the forum because of his transfer fee, nationality or the manager who signed him.

I disagree wholeheartedly on what you have said here really. If you want to play out from the back you need defenders comfortable on the ball with a range of passing. Despite his calamitous antics at times we looked a far better team when David Luiz played in defence to enable quicker distribution to get the ball forward quicker. If he joins I see it as a positive that despite needing obvious reinforcement in midfield a plan is in place and part of it was bringing in defenders capable of playing the system we desire.

Post #532205  Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:28 am 

Teams who have CB who can't progress the ball forward quickly from the back and who aren't press resistant end up having two options
1) play much more direct football (we don't have the forward players for that)
2) ask your midfielders to effectively come and collect the ball from deep - this is basically what we were doing for much of last season. This just compresses the play so much more in our half and in order to avoid big gaps between the defence/midfield/attack everyone ends up dropping deeper. All this means that even if you do manage to bypass the first line of the opponents press you still have 60 yards to goal.

A number of our forwards are 'finishers' by that I mean they are best at getting on the end of chances rather than dropping deep and linking play. The likes of Pépé, Aubameyang, Martinelli thrive when 1 v 1 and space behind the defence. You play to these guys strengths by getting the ball forward more quickly so they aren't doubled up on all too easily.

I often see tactics whereby teams allow a certain defender time on the ball because they know he can't progress the ball forward as well as the others. for example Wan-Bissaka at Man U is rarely put under pressure.

Its fine if people disagree but I think it will prove to be a big added bonus to our attacking play to have centre backs who are elite level passers, press resistant and are comfortable bringing the ball out of defence

Post #532206  Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:52 am 

Passing was one of if not the biggest strength of Luiz. He looked like a midfielder at times from the back. I'm hoping we can have two CBs who can do that. What I like the most though is that they are big and capable. They are athletic, not easily bullied. And with Partey in front, it will be less pressure on them (although I'd like him to go forward a bit more).

Post #532207  Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:01 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Passing was one of if not the biggest strength of Luiz. He looked like a midfielder at times from the back. I'm hoping we can have two CBs who can do that. What I like the most though is that they are big and capable. They are athletic, not easily bullied. And with Partey in front, it will be less pressure on them (although I'd like him to go forward a bit more).

Statistically Partey got forward a lot less than in the previous 3 seasons with Atletico. All his other relevant stats were quite similar. Perhaps it was because he was effectively holding the entire central midfield together on his own at times.
Depending on the partner he gets we could see more of him in an attacking sense. Put him in with Bissouma or even a Neves and the onus will be on him to get forward more.

Post #532208  Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:31 am 

Partey seemed to be a wee bit more free towards the end of the season. I'm inclined to trust his football brain of when to go and when to stay.

Post #532209  Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:32 am 

Looks like Lokonga is due to be announced soon.

Post #532210  Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:10 pm 

Not sure Rafa Benetiz is going to endear himself to already sceptical Everton fans if their first few signings are Begovic, Andros Townsend and Demari Gray.
Everton spent way beyond their status for a while though, they've had some wild spending summers without much success. We've even managed to get £50m from them for Walcott and Iwobi

Post #532211  Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:13 pm 

Rich wrote:
Perhaps it was because he was effectively holding the entire central midfield together on his own at times.

Was Partey really “effectively holding the entire central midfield together on his own at times”? It’s been said, and I think it’s a fair comment, that Partey made a slow start to his Arsenal career. He had some good games, but I think his overall level fell significantly short of “effectively holding the entire central midfield together on his own at times.” Myself, I think it’s going well over the top to say that.

Partey was at a new club in a different league, let alone an alternative country. There were injury problems too, that presumably held him back. I am therefore expecting a big improvement from Partey next season. But let’s not overplay or exaggerate the excellence of his form last season. If we do, it may become harder to emphasise any positive progression in his form that I not only hope to see, but expect.

Post #532212  Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:14 pm 

Hazuki wrote:

Just been formally announced on Arse.com:

https://www.arsenal.com/news/welcome-sambi-lokonga-joins-arsenal

"Albert will wear the No 23 shirt and have the name Sambi on the back"

Post #532213  Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:34 pm 

DHD wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Just been formally announced on Arse.com:

https://www.arsenal.com/news/welcome-sambi-lokonga-joins-arsenal

"Albert will wear the No 23 shirt and have the name Sambi on the back"

Time to believe it then. Hopefully another move in the right direction.

Post #532214  Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:42 pm 

Lokonga is done, wears No.23. £15m plus £4m in add ons. Will wear 'Sambi' on his shirt

Arteta said: “Albert is a very intelligent player who has shown great maturity in his performances during his development. He has been coached well by Vincent Kompany and his team at Anderlecht. I know Vincent very well and he talks so highly about Albert and the positive impact he had to Anderlecht in recent seasons. We’re confident Albert’s ready for the next stage in his development and we’re looking forward to welcoming a new member to our squad with his quality and presence.”

Post #532215  Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:52 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
Perhaps it was because he was effectively holding the entire central midfield together on his own at times.

Was Partey really “effectively holding the entire central midfield together on his own at times”? It’s been said, and I think it’s a fair comment, that Partey made a slow start to his Arsenal career. He had some good games, but I think his overall level fell significantly short of “effectively holding the entire central midfield together on his own at times.” Myself, I think it’s going well over the top to say that.

Partey was at a new club in a different league, let alone an alternative country. There were injury problems too, that presumably held him back. I am therefore expecting a big improvement from Partey next season. But let’s not overplay or exaggerate the excellence of his form last season. If we do, it may become harder to emphasise any positive progression in his form that I not only hope to see, but expect.

There were those games when Xhaka was forced to left-back where I'm sure Arteta pretty much emptied central midfield and played a kind of 4-1-5 formation - with not great consequences. I was also thinking of games when he played with Ceballos and Elneny (save the OT performance) where it was mainly the lack of quality from his partner that lead me to that expression of 'holding the entire midfield together himself'

I agree there were some underwhelming performances but his class was still evident above every other Arsenal midfielder - and I'm one of the few who actually thinks Xhaka had a decent season but I think playing Xhaka gives us a ceiling to our performances.

When looking at players I like to look at them with my own eyes in the match (sadly don't get to see much live in person as that gives another dimension as well) but also look at the stats of the player. Sometimes either of these can contradict what you think you saw or read or they can confirm it. When I looked at some of Partey's stats he was still playing as a top level central midfielder in the prem - even if we saw a few misplaced passes or poor touches. The stats also backed up that Xhaka was better at progressing the ball forward than many would think. My issue with Xhaka was always his lack of mobility and pace and propensity to dive in to tackles.

Post #532216  Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:00 pm 

Guendouzi and Cebackpass gone and a new Roma bid for Xhaka is expected in the next day apparently.

Looks like Arteta is ripping apart the ineffective midfield that has blighted us for so long. Promising young midfielder with more direct progressive passing has come In and we are expecting a more attacking midfield player to join also. Happy days, might actually be fun watching us again next season.

Keep going Mikel, next the Brazilian Nutty Professor please :58big-emoticons:

Post #532217  Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:53 pm 

Rich wrote:
There were those games when Xhaka was forced to left-back where I'm sure Arteta pretty much emptied central midfield and played a kind of 4-1-5 formation - with not great consequences. I was also thinking of games when he played with Ceballos and Elneny (save the OT performance) where it was mainly the lack of quality from his partner that lead me to that expression of 'holding the entire midfield together himself'

I agree there were some underwhelming performances but his class was still evident above every other Arsenal midfielder - and I'm one of the few who actually thinks Xhaka had a decent season but I think playing Xhaka gives us a ceiling to our performances.

When looking at players I like to look at them with my own eyes in the match (sadly don't get to see much live in person as that gives another dimension as well) but also look at the stats of the player. Sometimes either of these can contradict what you think you saw or read or they can confirm it. When I looked at some of Partey's stats he was still playing as a top level central midfielder in the prem - even if we saw a few misplaced passes or poor touches. The stats also backed up that Xhaka was better at progressing the ball forward than many would think. My issue with Xhaka was always his lack of mobility and pace and propensity to dive in to tackles.

Hi Rich. My problem was your comment that Partey was “effectively holding the entire central midfield together on his own at times.” I simply don’t believe that was the case and it’s a gross ‘over the top’ exaggeration. As stated, I think he’ll end up being a good signing. But he has to significantly improve from last season to do so.

If I had the choice of having Partey or Xhaka at Arsenal next season, Partey would definitely get my vote. No argument there. But there were quite a few ordinary performances from him last season and I would say too many to say his class was evident above every other midfielder.

I know you like looking at stats. So do I. But their limitations should not be ignored. For example, stats can be very useful for showing what is happening. But they may be less useful in explaining why it is happening. On their own they are not a reliable guide to a player’s quality. I know you haven’t claimed otherwise. I simply think the limitations of stats should be recognised. For example, you gave those stats about White earlier, which looked positive. dec thought they suggested something different.

I mentioned the stats that Mustafi outplayed Maguire in 2018/19, with Maguire only being better on one single factor. I looked it up. Maguire had one more block than Mustafi, and that was it. However, that didn’t stop Manchester United paying £85m for him, did it? That’s despite what the stats said.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... -transfer/

Post #532218  Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:28 pm 

Arsenal.com and ltg have made it official. :12hello-bye: Good luck Lokonga...and Rich as well. :42laughter:

Post #532219  Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:05 pm 

dec wrote:

Our midfield is our biggest area of weakness by a long way and that is where the investment should be going. Maybe, I am jumping the gun and we will spend £60m or £70m on a midfielder. I won't hold my breath on that one.

Hi Dec,

I am actually looking forward to seeing him play. I have seen some of his highlight reels and the thing that stands out is his composure and ability on the ball. He’s also quick and athletic which are big assets. He can play RB and DM as well.

I think we have overpaid but clearly we see something really special in him to have payed that much.

Can’t wait to see if it’s justified. I’ve said before, if he matures into a worldclass cb and stays with us for 10 years it’s money well spent.

Post #532220  Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:46 pm 

Welcome Sambi

Love these young progressive hungry, with something to prove type of signings.

Now for a central midfielder to replace Xhaka and an attacking midfielder.
Would love Bissouma but I think Neves could do a good job for us.
AM? Not Maddison for me. Overpriced. Aouar worth a shout at price he is going for now.
Would like to see Azeez given some playing time as well.this season.

Great to see the likes of Balogun Okonkwo and soon to be as rumoured Taylor Hart signing new deals.
Got some great talent coming through.

Post #532221  Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:46 pm 

david.d wrote:
Great to see the likes of Balogun Okonkwo and soon to be as rumoured Taylor Hart signing new deals.
Got some great talent coming through.

The Academy seems to have done well recently. It is just so incredibly hard for academy players to nail down a first team place either first 11 or even squad. The other big 6 teams show this as well.
The last 'batch' to come through will likely see success for Saka and Smith-Rowe and success of a different kind for the likes of Nelson, Nketiah, Willock and Maitland-Niles if they are moved on. We should be getting maybe £10m for the first two and £20m for the latter two. Nketiah would be higher were it not for his contract having 1 year left.

If every 3-4 years we can produce 6 academy players with 2 ready for the first team and 4 who are sold for an average of £15m a man then we will be in a very healthy position.

Post #532222  Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:39 pm 

socrates wrote:
dec wrote:

Hi Dec,

I am actually looking forward to seeing him play. I have seen some of his highlight reels and the thing that stands out is his composure and ability on the ball. He’s also quick and athletic which are big assets. He can play RB and DM as well.

I think we have overpaid but clearly we see something really special in him to have payed that much.

Can’t wait to see if it’s justified. I’ve said before, if he matures into a worldclass cb and stays with us for 10 years it’s money well spent.

Hi Soc,

It is quite a leap from one season in the PL with Brignton to world class centre back who stays with us for a decade.

The way I see it, we already have 5 centre backs but a big weakness in midfield and here we are spending huge money on another centre back. That's over £100m on centre backs in two seasons. I just think that the money would be better spent elsewhere, especially as we are spending well over the odds here.

Post #532223  Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:33 pm 

dec wrote:
The way I see it, we already have 5 centre backs but a big weakness in midfield and here we are spending huge money on another centre back. That's over £100m on centre backs in two seasons. I just think that the money would be better spent elsewhere, especially as we are spending well over the odds here.

The question is how many of our current centre backs have the quality to be a starter for a team that's aiming for Europe? I would say only Gabriel has shown that type of talent, and even he didn't really do it consistently last season. We need to improve our starting eleven in several positions, and centre back is one of them.

A lot of signs point to us going out to spend on a midfielder if Xhaka leaves, so I have no problem going big for White if he's identified as someone who can help take our defense up a level.

Post #532224  Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:17 am 

Time will tell if White's fee is too much. Again, Ferdinand, eventually justified his then astronomical fee. I would suggest that the success they got with van Dijk playing no small part was worth 75 million to Liverpool. Paying Sol 100k a week, astronomical at that time, basically paying him over time for the fee a club would have to pay, was well worth it.

Less I remind everyone we paid 36 million for....cough....Mustafi. :8surprise: 14 mil more shouldn't be too much for someone tested in the league.

Post #532225  Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:21 am 

It is wonderful we are getting the transfers in :58big-emoticons:
Looking forward to the new season :emoticon_mClapp:

Post #532226  Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:25 am 

I have to assume Henry had some part in our signing of Lokonga. Players talk and they ask each other or former players their opinion. I recall Gallas saying that Vieira (I think) saying that if he comes to Arsenal, he'll laugh at something every day in training.

Post #532227  Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:03 am 

dec wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi Dec,

Hi Soc,

It is quite a leap from one season in the PL with Brignton to world class centre back who stays with us for a decade.

You're right, it's a massive leap Dec, and I am fearful that we could have got this one badly wrong but I still can't help but be excited that we are willing to spend that kind of dosh on a relative rookie, though. There has to be something special that makes us think he's worth that kind of outlay......doesn't there?

Post #532228  Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:12 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Guendouzi and Cebackpass

'Cebackpass'. Hilarious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NEWA32jqk0

Post #532229  Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:11 am 

The links with Ramsdale who Sheff Utd want £40m for but a deal could probably be struck for £25m appear so incredibly strange when there is Sam Johnstone who is available for £10m (as he only has 1 year left on his deal). Both fulfil the home grown status and many would think Johnstone is the better GK. Johnstone is however 5 years older than Ramsdale but when you're buying a No.2 GK does it matter enough to spend £15m more on an inferior GK?
I can't see us spending £20m+ on a number 2 GK, it would be laughable, so if we spent that much then he would be No.1 and Leno would surely be off.

Post #532230  Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:42 pm 

Spurs are swapping Erik Lamella and £25m for Bryan Gil from Sevilla. 20 year old left winger, handful of caps for Spain. Don't know much about him, but left wing is where Son plays normally.

Post #532231  Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:45 pm 

Rich wrote:
Spurs are swapping Erik Lamella and £25m for Bryan Gil from Sevilla. 20 year old left winger, handful of caps for Spain. Don't know much about him, but left wing is where Son plays normally.

Sevilla getting the better of that deal. Gil is unproven and Lamela will thrive in la Liga.

Post #532232  Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:12 pm 

According to the Athletic, Arsenal have withdrawn from their preseason US tour due to Covid 19 cases at the club.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathleti ... MW%3famp=1

Post #532233  Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:50 pm 

Zed wrote:
According to the Athletic, Arsenal have withdrawn from their preseason US tour due to Covid 19 cases at the club.

Heard it is some players who have tested positive but are asymptomatic.

Not great preparation to a)not have the friendlies and b)have half the team not able to train with the others.....there's probably a financial hit because we can't compete

We need to try to get some other friendlies arranged else we could go in to the season undercooked.

Post #532234  Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:54 pm 

I hope the stated expectation that Ivan Gazidis will make a full recovery from his throat cancer is true. I wasn’t his biggest fan as Arsenal’s chief executive. But I do hope he makes a full recovery.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... dium=email

Post #532235  Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:34 pm 

Rich wrote:
Zed wrote:

Not great preparation to a)not have the friendlies and b)have half the team not able to train with the others.....there's probably a financial hit because we can't compete

We need to try to get some other friendlies arranged else we could go in to the season undercooked.

Read later that a few players were asymptomatic as well. A cancellation fee may have to be paid though. Rumours that Inter may withdraw due to Covid and Delta variant concerns in Florida. Also a cancellation fee would be imposed. If that happens, an MLS side could be substituted but only for one game as the MLS season is ongoing now.
Not a good start at all financially.

Post #532236  Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:36 pm 

Bernard wrote:
I hope the stated expectation that Ivan Gazidis will make a full recovery from his throat cancer is true. I wasn’t his biggest fan as Arsenal’s chief executive. But I do hope he makes a full recovery.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... dium=email

No Ivan wasn't popular as chief exec. Do hope though he recovers from the cancer.

Post #532237  Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:50 pm 

Zed wrote:
Rich wrote:

Read later that a few players were asymptomatic as well. A cancellation fee may have to be paid though. Rumours that Inter may withdraw due to Covid and Delta variant concerns in Florida. Also a cancellation fee would be imposed. If that happens, an MLS side could be substituted but only for one game as the MLS season is ongoing now.
Not a good start at all financially.

I genuinely don’t understand how it’s gonna work. I mean football aside most people are going to catch this thing over the next few weeks, all of us. Only a matter of time even if you are careful

So out of 25 players say plus 10-15 staff for a match day ? Surely they are going to have issues separating people affected by this and many league matches could be at risk.

Post #532238  Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:03 pm 

Rich wrote:
The links with Ramsdale who Sheff Utd want £40m for but a deal could probably be struck for £25m appear so incredibly strange when there is Sam Johnstone who is available for £10m (as he only has 1 year left on his deal). Both fulfil the home grown status and many would think Johnstone is the better GK. Johnstone is however 5 years older than Ramsdale but when you're buying a No.2 GK does it matter enough to spend £15m more on an inferior GK?
I can't see us spending £20m+ on a number 2 GK, it would be laughable, so if we spent that much then he would be No.1 and Leno would surely be off.

I would keep an eye on links to the Brazilian keeper Neto we’ve been linked with him before and he would be cheap as Barcelona are desperate to shift funds from their wage bill, plus crucially he’s a Kia Joorabachian client. Lump a few quid on this and thank me later

Personally I think a homegrown keeper would make sense

Post #532239  Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:14 pm 

Zed wrote:

Heading to America in the middle of a global pandemic to play a couple of friendlies was not exactly the smartest plan.

Post #532240  Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:09 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
I genuinely don’t understand how it’s gonna work. I mean football aside most people are going to catch this thing over the next few weeks, all of us. Only a matter of time even if you are careful

Is that right? There have been 5.5 million confirmed cases in the UK so far, most of whom have ‘recovered’.

It’s a scary leap to think that in a few weeks 10 times that number will succumb. Currently about 7,000 a day are new cases. I sincerely hope that you are wrong.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13303, 13304, 13305, 13306, 13307, 13308, 13309 ... 14269  Next