Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 115 guests

Post #560321  Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:31 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
DHD wrote:

Good story Andy. At that stage in his career, he was probably pissed.

Actually I never thought of that...you're probably right DHD

The Barnet fans I know say it’s literally this. The absolute peak of his alcoholism and there was barely a game he didn’t turn up to drunk. Incredibly despite this many consider him their best ever player.

Post #560322  Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:41 pm 

Partey only played 1 of the two internationals in this break.

It seems (hopefully) all our players return home healthy - despite Rodri’s best efforts

Post #560323  Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:38 pm 

Kiwior playing left back for Poland tonight

Post #560324  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:45 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
I have no idea who this is. Where is omoh or soc when you need them. lol

“The biggest regret of my whole football career was leaving White Hart Lane in 1970. My interest weakened after that. I was heartbroken
Jimmy Greaves - for many, the greatest of all English strikers.

I'm well acquainted with the name but didn't recognize the picture.

Post #560325  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:47 am 

DHD wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Jimmy Greaves - for many, the greatest of all English strikers.

Spot on, Old Man.

His name comes up all the time when great British footballers are discussed. I just hadn't realized he was tied to sperz so closely. Seems to be one of those players that transcended rivalries. Loved by all, even rival clubs. No?

Post #560326  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:56 am 

I don’t watch England games but will often catch some 3 mins highlights. But I don’t understand the way the UK media rate Bellingham as a 160million player after the latest internationals and Saka does not get a mention other than as an afterthought and it is presumed he is a player worth about 90million. Perhaps those who watch the whole game can enlighten me as to why Bellingham I’d so wonderful and much more highly rated than Saka. It looked to me as if Saka was in the brilliant rating in the latest games, but I may be biased.

Post #560327  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:13 am 

May 1966 and Arsenal v Leeds produces the lowest ever attendance for a top flight game at Highbury, a fraction over 4,500. Is what the caption said, but another comment must have been from a Tottenham or Chelsea fan "I bet 4000 were Leeds fans" lol

Attachments:
arsenalLeeds.jpg
arsenalLeeds.jpg [ 18.99 KB | Viewed 3778 times ]

Post #560328  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:48 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I don’t watch England games but will often catch some 3 mins highlights. But I don’t understand the way the UK media rate Bellingham as a 160million player after the latest internationals and Saka does not get a mention other than as an afterthought and it is presumed he is a player worth about 90million. Perhaps those who watch the whole game can enlighten me as to why Bellingham I’d so wonderful and much more highly rated than Saka. It looked to me as if Saka was in the brilliant rating in the latest games, but I may be biased.

I think there are a few things that go against Saka (wrongly) in people’s eyes. As a winger people kind of expect searing pace, step overs, flicks and tricks - of course we know Saka is more subtle than that, he’s ultra efficient without any of that. He’s about balance, mobility, intelligence and decision making - all quite boring things to the armchair fan.
Secondly I do think the fact he’s an Arsenal player gets a lot of peoples backs up. If he was at Man U the reaction in the media to him at least would by hyperbolic in the extreme.

I rate Bellingham very highly, but in terms of value Saka is at least the same as him if not more for me.

I can’t see a better right winger in world football right now

Post #560329  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:50 am 

It seems Partey does have a little niggle which meant he sat out the Ghana game. Arsenal are hopeful it’s minor and he can be fit for the weekend. If there is any doubt then he needs to sit out and get another 10 days rest. Play Jorginho, we should be able to beat Leeds without Partey

Post #560330  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:21 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
May 1966 and Arsenal v Leeds produces the lowest ever attendance for a top flight game at Highbury, a fraction over 4,500. Is what the caption said, but another comment must have been from a Tottenham or Chelsea fan "I bet 4000 were Leeds fans" lol

4,554. Unusually, it was a Thursday night - can't remember why. Probably an end-of-season fixture pile-up.

4,552 plus me and my old man standing out of frame, just to the right.

Post #560331  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:23 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I don’t watch England games but will often catch some 3 mins highlights. But I don’t understand the way the UK media rate Bellingham as a 160million player after the latest internationals and Saka does not get a mention other than as an afterthought and it is presumed he is a player worth about 90million.

It sounds as if you don't read the Guardian or Athletic football coverage. The Athletic has published two features on Saka in the last day or two, 'The moment I realised Bukayo Saka was special' and 'Saka is second only to Kane as England's most vital player' (they're probably paywalled, though). And the Guardian hasn't exactly been keeping shtum:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... er-wembley

If anything, I think I'd prefer it if Saka was going more under the radar than he is.

Post #560332  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:27 am 

DHD wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

4,554. Unusually, it was a Thursday night - can't remember why. Probably an end-of-season fixture pile-up.

Were you really at the game, DHD? That's hardcore Arsenal fandom right there. I think it was a fixture pile-up - there was another match at Highbury two days later (16,000 packed the stadium for that one v. Leicester). Regarding the minuscule crowd at the Leeds game, the fact that the European Cup Winner's Cup final between Liverpool and Borussia Dortmund was live on TV that night wouldn't have helped.

Post #560333  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:33 am 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I think there are a few things that go against Saka (wrongly) in people’s eyes. As a winger people kind of expect searing pace, step overs, flicks and tricks - of course we know Saka is more subtle than that, he’s ultra efficient without any of that. He’s about balance, mobility, intelligence and decision making - all quite boring things to the armchair fan.
Secondly I do think the fact he’s an Arsenal player gets a lot of peoples backs up. If he was at Man U the reaction in the media to him at least would by hyperbolic in the extreme.

I rate Bellingham very highly, but in terms of value Saka is at least the same as him if not more for me.

I can’t see a better right winger in world football right now

You are correct about the Man U live in. With Saka in the side England could actually win something. He is the best prospect I have seen in our team since Ces. Maybe I need to watch a full England match to see the value of Bellingham. Something that is not going to happen.

Post #560334  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:37 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
I don’t watch England games but will often catch some 3 mins highlights. But I don’t understand the way the UK media rate Bellingham as a 160million player after the latest internationals and Saka does not get a mention other than as an afterthought and it is presumed he is a player worth about 90million.

It sounds as if you don't read the Guardian or Athletic football coverage. The Athletic has published two features on Saka in the last day or two, 'The moment I realised Bukayo Saka was special' and 'Saka is second only to Kane as England's most vital player' (they're probably paywalled, though). And the Guardian hasn't exactly been keeping shtum:

If anything, I think I'd prefer it if Saka was going more under the radar than he is.

I don’t read the Athletic but subscribe to the Guardian. But I was talking about mainstream UK media who seem to regard Bellingham as some type of second coming.

Post #560335  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:48 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Quite so!

Post #560336  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:53 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
DHD wrote:

Were you really at the game, DHD? That's hardcore Arsenal fandom right there. I think it was a fixture pile-up - there was another match at Highbury two days later (16,000 packed the stadium for that one v. Leicester). Regarding the minuscule crowd at the Leeds game, the fact that the European Cup Winner's Cup final between Liverpool and Borussia Dortmund was live on TV that night wouldn't have helped.

Yes I was there McQ. We lived in Riversdale Road and it was a 5 min stroll. Don't think we missed a game for years.

Now that you mention it, I do recall there being a European Final on TV. Live football was pretty rare in those days.

Post #560337  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:11 am 

Saka’s new contract being reported as £300k per week INCLUDING all incentives, endorsements and bonuses. So not £300k per week as a basic wage.

As far as I know all players get some degree of appearance bonus and win bonus, and many would have goal and assist bonuses built in.

Even if it was £300k a week basic he’s worth it.

Our annual wage bill is currently £135m a year less than Man U. Taking Saka’s wage from £75k/week to £300k/week is barely scratching the surface in bridging that gap. Guaranteed Champions league money next season all but secured as well….

Post #560338  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:23 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
His name comes up all the time when great British footballers are discussed. I just hadn't realized he was tied to sperz so closely. Seems to be one of those players that transcended rivalries. Loved by all, even rival clubs. No?
Yes he was transcendent, though as a down-to-earth man, he would have laughed at such a description. Although rightly much associated with Spurs his early days at Chelsea should not be forgotten. As a kid he was so exceptional AC Milan bought him, and he was able to score goals in Serie A. I once heard him say in an interview he would have liked to have played for Arsenal.

Post #560339  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:56 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Yes he was transcendent, though as a down-to-earth man, he would have laughed at such a description. Although rightly much associated with Spurs his early days at Chelsea should not be forgotten. As a kid he was so exceptional AC Milan bought him, and he was able to score goals in Serie A. I once heard him say in an interview he would have liked to have played for Arsenal.

This is what the Great Man said:
Arsenal have class. I remember when I was at spurs, the Arsenal players would arrive for matches in their navy blazers with the gold gun emblem sewn into their pockets and grey slacks. We couldn't match their ground with that beautiful main entrance, marble halls and spiral staircase. Even in 1961 when we won the double, we were never as big a club as Arsenal.

Post #560340  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:19 am 

DHD wrote:
This is what the Great Man said. Arsenal have class. I remember when I was at spurs, the Arsenal players would arrive for matches in their navy blazers with the gold gun emblem sewn into their pockets and grey slacks. We couldn't match their ground with that beautiful main entrance, marble halls and spiral staircase. Even in 1961 when we won the double, we were never as big a club as Arsenal.
Yes the weight of Arsenal's history lays heavily on Spurs, and that doesn't seem to be lifting any time soon. Mind you, that Spurs Double side was one of the best ever English outfits, and it came about because they were willing to spend a bit more on the very players we had been strongly linked with - Blanchflower, Mackay and Jones included.

Post #560341  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:00 pm 

DHD wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

This is what the Great Man said:
Arsenal have class. I remember when I was at spurs, the Arsenal players would arrive for matches in their navy blazers with the gold gun emblem sewn into their pockets and grey slacks. We couldn't match their ground with that beautiful main entrance, marble halls and spiral staircase. Even in 1961 when we won the double, we were never as big a club as Arsenal.

"Even in 1961 when we won the double, we were never as big a club as Arsenal" I've heard this quote before and hadn't realized it was him. Wow. Someone had it on their avatar on here I think. Can't recall.

Post #560342  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:00 pm 

DHD wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

:53big-emoticons:

Post #560343  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:02 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

:58big-emoticons: I didn't know about the Chelsea association. Milan buying him is a statement.

Post #560344  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:06 pm 

Team of the season so far by the people who comment on the Give Me Sport site.
He's having his finest season but I raised an eyebrow to Xhaka's inclusion.

Attachments:

Post #560345  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:58 pm 

Leeds have a number of key injuries ahead of our game. Tyler Adam’s is definitely out, Wober and Gnonto were injured in the international break

Post #560346  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:01 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Partey ahead of Xhaka probably.
Martinelli only has 1 goal less than rashford and he has 1 more assist than him - shows how the Man U-centric media can build someone up. There is a genuine argument to have Martinelli over Rashford.

I also think White could be in ahead of Trippier but granted it would be strange to not have a Newcastle defender considering they’ve conceded the least in the league.

Alison probably deserves a shout in goal, he’s been Liverpool’s saviour so many times but unlikely to get recognised because of their general poor season

Post #560347  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:24 pm 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Martinelli only has 1 goal less than rashford and he has 1 more assist than him - shows how the Man U-centric media can build someone up. There is a genuine argument to have Martinelli over Rashford.

I also think White could be in ahead of Trippier but granted it would be strange to not have a Newcastle defender considering they’ve conceded the least in the league.

Alison probably deserves a shout in goal, he’s been Liverpool’s saviour so many times but unlikely to get recognised because of their general poor season

Haaland is the only one where your couldn't make a case for an Arsenal player. Amazing, considering where we were a few seasons ago.

Post #560348  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:29 pm 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

I was surprised that Rashford only has one goal more. I hate Man Utd with a passion but it seemed like other than Haaland, Rashford has been the most consistent. Maybe it is the Man Utd centric media as you say, it just seems that way, the guy is on fire and having a career season.

Post #560349  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:32 pm 

Question for the forum - what do you think has been our most important goal this season?

I'll throw a few that I think that could be for a variety of reasons:
Martinelli v palace (a) opening day. tough away ground, bad memories, kickstarted the belief
Gabriel v Fulham (h) late winner - kept the momentum
Saka penalty v Liverpool (h) winning goal - showed we can beat Liverpool who were an elite top 2 team over the past 4 seasons and we'd got nowhere near them
Saka v Leeds (a) played terribly but still won
Gabriel v Chelsea (a) - dominated and won away at a top 6 team
Nketiah v man U (h) - late winner v a massive rival
Martinez og v Villa (a) - stopped a mini crisis becoming something more, changed belief again
Nelson v Bournemouth (h) - the sheer emotion of it

Of all of that I'm tempted to go for the Martinez og v Villa, we were 3 without a win, we played badly the first half and came back well but missed chances. A 2-2 would have been deflating and extended the winless run and doubt would have crept in. Winning that one was massive

Post #560350  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:45 pm 

Nelson's winner against Bournemouth. It was just massive. Nearly every team that wins the league has a moment like that. It would have been hugely disappointing to drop points in that match and to win it when it looked over was monumental.

Post #560351  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:19 pm 

dec wrote:
Nelson's winner against Bournemouth. It was just massive. Nearly every team that wins the league has a moment like that. It would have been hugely disappointing to drop points in that match and to win it when it looked over was monumental.

Just was limbs all over the stadium I’ve never seen anything like it at the emirates. I didn’t think we could top this seasons last minute winner againest united and if we do win the league we will all think back to that moment.

The only time I remember our home ground exploding like that was when Bergkamp scored a last minute winner v Bolton in 96 when he thumped a similar last minute winner to put us in Europe at tottenhams expense

This in my opinion is the best fan cam of the goal hitting the net made even more funny by the reactions of the Bournemouth fans

https://youtu.be/xFfP3GBH3ek

Post #560352  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:26 pm 

BBC saying "Tierney substituted.... hobbling off"

We are going to need all hands on deck for the next few weeks....hope he's just knackered

Post #560353  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:27 pm 

Arteta has spoken before about his 5 Phase pan for Arsenal and that currently we are in Phase 3 but ahead of schedule.

So could we assume that Phase 3 was not winning the title but having a decent go and being competitive for it - maybe 80 points for example?

So if Phase 3 isn't winning the title I'd assume Phase 4 is winning the title and Phase 5 is winning the Champions League?

And if Phase 1 and 2 weren't about winning titles they must have been about turning around the sinking ship, setting his non-negotiables, creating the togetherness you see in the team and putting together the recruitment of the right type of players and the style of football - all of that happens in the first two phases to allow the titles to follow.

Post #560354  Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:24 am 

Rich wrote:
Arteta has spoken before about his 5 Phase pan for Arsenal and that currently we are in Phase 3 but ahead of schedule.

So could we assume that Phase 3 was not winning the title but having a decent go and being competitive for it - maybe 80 points for example?

So if Phase 3 isn't winning the title I'd assume Phase 4 is winning the title and Phase 5 is winning the Champions League?

And if Phase 1 and 2 weren't about winning titles they must have been about turning around the sinking ship, setting his non-negotiables, creating the togetherness you see in the team and putting together the recruitment of the right type of players and the style of football - all of that happens in the first two phases to allow the titles to follow.

Post #560355  Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:20 pm 

I recognize most but not all

Attachments:

Post #560356  Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:28 pm 

Arteta and Edu at the emirates tonight to watch Arsenal’s women’s team take on Bayern in the champions league. They get it

Post #560357  Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:30 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I recognize most but not all

Between Henry and Clichy is Darren Dein football agent and David Deon’s son. Between Lehmann and Parlour is Aliadiere

Post #560358  Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:37 am 

There's a club out there that just keeps on giving.
https://sports.ndtv.com/football/totten ... an-3905035

Post #560359  Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:41 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

So the guy responsible for recruitment and having a big say in the next manager is banned from football for 2.5 years.
There is Kane’s future to sort out and any new manager is going to inherit a squad built inConte’s image with lots of natural wing backs but no decent full backs and zero creativity in midfield. Nothing coming through the academy and a £1b stadium still to pay off and still with no naming rights.

Post #560360  Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:10 am 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

So the guy responsible for recruitment and having a big say in the next manager is banned from football for 2.5 years.
There is Kane’s future to sort out and any new manager is going to inherit a squad built inConte’s image with lots of natural wing backs but no decent full backs and zero creativity in midfield. Nothing coming through the academy and a £1b stadium still to pay off and still with no naming rights.

When you put it like that there are few positives. Next year may be a little difficult for them but to be honest I was hoping Conte would stay and continue with their current brand of football

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 14006, 14007, 14008, 14009, 14010, 14011, 14012 ... 14269  Next