Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:53 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 108 guests

Post #552401  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:09 pm 

What an absolute clown Crooks is.
Full of his own self importance.
Like anyone gives a flying *%^@ what this tool thinks.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but isn't journalism supposed to be non bias and not reflective of your personal feelings. Neutral even
Remarkable the BBC have allowed this I don't like Granit Xhaka line from this imbecile.
Criticise him as a player all you like but that first line is so personal.

Post #552402  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:45 pm 

Rich wrote:
Andy Green wrote:
I look to the statisticians and analysts among you….maybe Rich….but I am curious how many passes took place before we scored our second and third goals…seems like we knocked the ball about 20 or 30 times
Excellent performance…well done Mikel and the lads.

https://twitter.com/afcjxmes/status/157 ... mmiItTtWQg

3rd goal in video with passes counted

Thanks Rich....that's a bit mesmeric....20 passes.... a nice pirouette from William....and a quality finish from Vieira. Lovely stuff.

Post #552403  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:16 pm 

We aren't talking title. No one is discussing us as title challengers this season least of all ourselves. Stating the bleeding obvious.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/62946685

Post #552404  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:21 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Been told that today’s was Jesus’ fourth Premier League booking this season, meaning that if he gets a yellow card against Tottenham he’ll be banned for the Liverpool game.

Jesus for City
3 yellows in 42 games 20/21
5 yellows in 41 games 21/22
Jesus for Arsenal
4 yellows in 8 games 22/23

Small sample but that is ridiculous. Also look at the amount of times he’s fouled (the most in the league) without yellow cards for opponents
That is a very revealing statistic - astonishing actually.

Post #552405  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:57 pm 

https://www.football365.com/news/after- ... -dont-know

This is a pretty good read on Spurs, echos my thoughts on them being quite a confusing team

Post #552406  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:37 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
Rich wrote:
https://twitter.com/afcjxmes/status/157 ... mmiItTtWQg

3rd goal in video with passes counted

Thanks Rich....that's a bit mesmeric....20 passes.... a nice pirouette from William....and a quality finish from Vieira. Lovely stuff.

Going by his reaction, not sure Vieira himself expected that to go in!

Post #552407  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:34 pm 

Reading the David Dein autobiography

far better read so far than wengers shocking book. Few interesting stories that I never knew. We tried to sign Gordon Strachan for example. Talks about trying to move us to Wembley which seems crazy now

Post #552408  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:36 pm 

Rich wrote:
https://www.football365.com/news/after-the-worst-6-2-win-ever-we-have-to-ask-are-spurs-good-or-sht-or-what-we-really-dont-know

This is a pretty good read on Spurs, echos my thoughts on them being quite a confusing team

Hi Rich. When we discussed this quite recently, I think you gave part of the explanation yourself. Like the authors of the linked article, you are looking for faults in Tottenham because you want them to be there. Yes, every team has faults. But I suspect you exaggerate Tottenham’s. This idea that they’re a two man team is nonsense. Sure, Kane and Son may be they’re best two players. But that is not the same as the other nine being poor, or even average. They have a lot of very fine players.

Also it simply isn’t true they never dominate games. I’ve seen it this season. Moreover, last season they totally dominated the North London derby at their place from the first minute to the last. Sure, Holding got himself sent off but in my view it didn’t make a blind bit of difference to the result. They were outplaying us anyway.

Is it sustainable? I don’t see why not. Indeed, it may well be more sustainable than our current form? I hope I’m wrong about that, but who knows?

Post #552409  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:27 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
https://www.football365.com/news/after-the-worst-6-2-win-ever-we-have-to-ask-are-spurs-good-or-sht-or-what-we-really-dont-know

Hi Rich. When we discussed this quite recently, I think you gave part of the explanation yourself. Like the authors of the linked article, you are looking for faults in Tottenham because you want them to be there. Yes, every team has faults. But I suspect you exaggerate Tottenham’s. This idea that they’re a two man team is nonsense. Sure, Kane and Son may be they’re best two players. But that is not the same as the other nine being poor, or even average. They have a lot of very fine players.

Also it simply isn’t true they never dominate games. I’ve seen it this season. Moreover, last season they totally dominated the North London derby at their place from the first minute to the last. Sure, Holding got himself sent off but in my view it didn’t make a blind bit of difference to the result. They were outplaying us anyway.

Is it sustainable? I don’t see why not. Indeed, it may well be more sustainable than our current form? I hope I’m wrong about that, but who knows?

On the ‘is it sustainable?’ part, I think the reason why it is difficult to say it is, is because I’ve never seen a team play this way and consistently win so many matches. Think of any top team in any league over the last 10 years and look at the stats based approach to possession, shots etc and the best typically always dominate games. Spurs are the statistical anomaly. They don’t dominate as regularly as the best teams and perhaps we’re fooled in to thinking they dominate more because of the result. In every game this season they’ve been second best for decent chunks of the game or at least matched for long periods.

It must follow some logic that if you don’t create as many chances as a ‘normal’ top of the table team then you must be somewhat reliant on the sharp finishing of some elite players. I think Spurs would be the most affected of the top 6 if they lost their two best players to a long injury. City lost De Bruyne for virtually an entire season and still won the league for example.

I’m not drawing total conclusions on this because the more they win the more it pushes the dial.

Post #552410  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:28 am 

So far City have beaten the teams in 12th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th and drawn with the teams in 10th and 15th. They’ve had an easier start than us but I only hear about Arsenal having an easy start.

Post #552411  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:38 am 

Been reading a bit more on Nwaneri, he doesn’t look 15 for a start - physically he’s obviously not like Rooney was when Rooney was 16 but he’s not far off looking physically ready for mens football. Because he’s under 17 (or 16 is it?) he can’t sign pro terms so any club could still sign him up and rumours are every big club in England are desperate for him. Him being thrust in to first team training, the matchday squad and coming on is definitely not some gimmick to set a record when we were cruising a match - it’s an attempt to show him how highly we rate him and show him a clear pathway to the first team.

There is a story about Nwaneri that when he was 10 he was at trials with all the other best 10 year olds in the area and they had to stop the game because no one else was getting a kick of the ball.

He sounds like a player Arsenal really think could be quite special

Post #552412  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:27 am 

Great performance ... wish Arteta had given Nwanieri at least ten minutes .

Let the kid have something to tell his grandkids , give him a chance to make an impact .

Two minutes for God's sake doesn't even register .
Don't think Mikel's got to many clues at times.

Post #552413  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:41 am 

Nwanieri .... had to get changed in a separate room because of Child Protection Laws ......

what the hell is going on in England ....... Xhaka , Partey are gay .....Jimmy Saville is our youth team coach ...???

Post #552414  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:49 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Great performance ... wish Arteta had given Nwanieri at least ten minutes .

Let the kid have something to tell his grandkids , give him a chance to make an impact .

Two minutes for God's sake doesn't even register .
Don't think Mikel's got to many clues at times.

Maybe he realises that 3-0 is a dangerous lead, and didn't want to risk it any earlier. Remember Arsenal 3, Anderlecht 3? I bet Mikel does.

Post #552415  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:04 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Nwanieri .... had to get changed in a separate room because of Child Protection Laws ......

what the hell is going on in England ....... Xhaka , Partey are gay .....Jimmy Saville is our youth team coach ...???

Wasn’t that someone (was it Gunfire) having a joke?

Post #552416  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:10 am 

Never gonna happen

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62959374

Realised it was all just lies yet ?

Post #552417  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:14 am 

‘Can’t argue’: Arsenal title reality no-one saw coming; contender’s 14-min headache — PL Talking Pts

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/p ... 5d7811f930

Post #552418  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:18 am 

kiwipete wrote:

It wouldn’t surprise me and to be honest I’m not sure I would disagree with it.

Unfortunately there have been many reports of former players who have been victims of child sexual abuse whilst being youth players. Most notably Paul Stewart the former spurs player and there have even been cases involving ex coaches of city and Chelsea.

There are literal pieces of *%^@ walking amongst us unfortunately and we all forget sometimes

Post #552419  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:20 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Never gonna happen

More rubbish from you.

We do not need a trade deal to deal with the US. We already have trade deals with some of the largest regions of the US they do not need Presidential approval.

In 2024 when Trump gets a landslidevictory he will set one up anyway as he truly is a friend of Gt Britain.

Post #552420  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:46 am 

bubblechris wrote:
In 2024 when Trump gets a landslidevictory he will set one up anyway as he truly is a friend of Gt Britain.

He'll be in prison by then.

Post #552421  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:10 pm 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Not a joke I assume since it was reported in the Times yesterday.

Post #552422  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:17 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Not a joke I assume since it was reported in the Times yesterday.

Fair enough. In that case I fully understand kiwipete’s astonishment with the ridiculousness of it.

Post #552423  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:03 pm 

Just seen this quote from Granit. :

I am doing my coaching licence and I have trained the under-16s.

Interesting development.

Post #552424  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:29 pm 

Darren wrote:
He'll be in prison by then.

My guess its 50/50 he will be tried and convicted and do any time. He's guilty as sin as well as host of other co-conspirators.
The political reality in America is that it won't matter for a myriad of reasons among them.
The Democrats are scared sh*tless of the Republicans. The Republicans have no line. They know that. It's likely the Republicans will win the WH in 2024. Dems don't have any viable national candidates (California Gov Newsom....maybe...he survived a recall). The Republicans will exact revenge if Trump is 'harmed'. They will find any excuse to investigate, sham trials, whatever. My guess is Hunter Biden will be among the first they go after (and not without good reason to be fair).

The country has stopped functioning as a sustainable republic. We are in the 'last days of Rome' as it were. The Republicans are flagrantly flaunting the rule of law. The Democrat establishment have been bought off by the some of the same money that the Republicans have taken (big Pharma, Wall Street, Defense contractors, etc.).

The Supreme Court has lost its credibility and no longer seen as a fair arbiter of the rule of law.

We are done. I suspect private dossiers in the UK's upper echelon will echo similar sentiments. I'm an independent. I have no horse in that race. The fact is any country that can elect Trump with all the baggage and such that came along with it, is no longer viable. And for that matter, Biden, now that I think about it.

Post #552425  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:38 pm 

Nice balanced article here:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mike ... cca893e5cb

Post #552426  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:41 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

Interesting development.

And have now found an article about it.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/gran ... 5274060e94

Post #552427  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:31 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
The country has stopped functioning as a sustainable republic. We are in the 'last days of Rome' as it were.

It's the same here currently. This current iteration of the Tories is horrific. The only reason Truss is in power is due to her ability to be manipulated by the ERG wing of the party, who in turn, have very strong links with Robert Mercer; the data guy behind Cambridge Analytica, Steve Bannon, Trump and Farage amongst others. They want us to be a hugely de-regulated port in the middle of Europe. Unless we get the Tories out at the next election, it's over for our country for many, many years. I think people will assume this to be a hyperbolic over reaction, but it really is that serious. The two parties are not the same as each other, they're not as bad as each other. This version of Labour is the most watered down, centrist version of the Labour Party for many years. But the Tories are now destroying everything it touches. They are deregulating bankers bonuses but refusing to bring the average workers wages in line with inflation after many years of 0% wage increases.

They are appalling and the fact that many people just shrug their shoulders and sweep it under the carpet, need to realise the genuine threat they pose to us as a functioning, progressive, modern nation.

Post #552428  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:36 pm 

Here's an interesting New Yorker article on Mercer from 2017.

Post #552429  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:31 pm 

Average league position of teams faced…

Arsenal: 11.8
Tottenham: 14.4
Man City 15.2

But yet we’re supposedly the ones who had the easy start!

Post #552430  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:32 pm 

Chances created in the league this season

Attachments:

Post #552431  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:59 pm 

The treasury is unable to publish an economic forecast as it will show how screwed we all are. Think about that for a moment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62970803

Post #552432  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:08 pm 

Rich wrote:
Chances created in the league this season

3 of our players in the top 10 - Nice.

:58big-emoticons:

Post #552433  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:11 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
The treasury is unable to publish an economic forecast as it will show how screwed we all are. Think about that for a moment

Unprecedented. The depth of denial and shifting of what the expectations of Brexit brings is bonkers. It’s just idealogical zealots. people don’t get it, they just cheer it on as if it’s a sport. Insane. It’s
For the rich, by the rich, and will make this country worthless unless it’s aligns closer to the single market, which of course we were told before the referendum, by the brexiters, would happen.

Post #552434  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:27 pm 

“It helped that Chelsea had the exciting winger Omari Hutchinson, who they signed from Arsenal’s academy, as an outlet on the right wing. In truth, he was stealing the show, scoring in each half and hitting a superb 25-yard free-kick against the inside of the post.”

This is from a report of Chelsea Palace at PL2 level. He was obviously rated at Arsenal but I can see him being another Odoi (who’s position he plays in) with a lack of pathway at Chelsea. My guess is the Marquinhos signing was what convinced him he wasn’t going to get the kind of chance he wanted. Apparently he’s a Surrey boy so Chelsea was always a draw for him. I find it interesting to see how he’s getting on. He’s undoubtedly very talented, but I’ll be surpised if he gets so much as 45mins of football for Chelsea in the next 2 years.

Seeing a few comments that the loss of Hutchinson played into the debut of Ethan Nwaneri at the weekend. Having never heard of him before I’m assured his progress playing up though the levels means he is actually a bit special for his age. Obviously we’ll see, but I’m now convinced he’ll be the next Jude Bellingham and I’ll be devastated if he isn’t.

Post #552435  Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:39 am 

long time gooner wrote:

Interesting development.

I was one of those who disliked Xhaka so much and wanted him gone, during those trying seasons for him. Feel so much guilt now to have felt that way about him. Am liking him more and more now. He has been so much more forward looking in his plays this year (not just this season), and is so integral to the team. Go Xhaka, go! :58big-emoticons:

(Note to self: must not fall back to dislike when he has a bad game)

Post #552436  Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:08 am 

gooner7 wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Interesting development.

I was one of those who disliked Xhaka so much and wanted him gone, during those trying seasons for him. Feel so much guilt now to have felt that way about him. Am liking him more and more now. He has been so much more forward looking in his plays this year (not just this season), and is so integral to the team. Go Xhaka, go! :58big-emoticons:

(Note to self: must not fall back to dislike when he has a bad game)

I’m aware that Jesus has been outstanding but so far, for me anyway, Xhaka has been our player of the season.

I thought OMOH got it completely right about him when he said words to the effect that the over the top criticism he used to get was utterly ridiculous. So much so I think pathetic might be a more relevant word than ridiculous, and I’m not just talking about you with that gooner7. Even ignoring this season, he was never even remotely close to being as bad as some used to claim under Wenger, Emery and approaching the initial two and a half years or so under Arteta.

Post #552437  Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:28 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Never gonna happen

More rubbish from you.

We do not need a trade deal to deal with the US. We already have trade deals with some of the largest regions of the US they do not need Presidential approval.

Post #552438  Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:38 am 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Unprecedented. The depth of denial and shifting of what the expectations of Brexit brings is bonkers. It’s just idealogical zealots. people don’t get it, they just cheer it on as if it’s a sport. Insane. It’s
For the rich, by the rich, and will make this country worthless unless it’s aligns closer to the single market, which of course we were told before the referendum, by the brexiters, would happen.

So am I right in thinking that you'd rather see all the small businesses and some of the very big, going bust and literally tens of thousands being made unemployed?

Is it your mad Support of the Trade Unions that you'd rather they grew and the Country sank rather than see that this is a forward thinking plan by Liz Truss not a cash giveaway to the rich.

Please explain your thinking and what you'd like to see them do.

Post #552439  Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:50 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Darren wrote:

So am I right in thinking that you'd rather see all the small businesses and some of the very big, going bust and literally tens of thousands being made unemployed?

Is it your mad Support of the Trade Unions that you'd rather they grew and the Country sank rather than see that this is a forward thinking plan by Liz Truss not a cash giveaway to the rich.

I think a further windfall tax on the profits of the energy firms is a must. The EU are doing it and it will generate over £120,000,000,000 towards cutting the cost of energy bills. The reason this government won't is that the energy firms over here donate to the Conservative party and many of their MPs. Johnson received £1.3m from energy firms, Pritti Patel got £140k. Truss worked for Shell for 4 years when she was younger. In all, Energy firms are going to make £170b profit. Take a chunk of of that and you can ease the crisis for many of the hardest hit. This profit doesn't filter down to it's employees, it remains firmly with the shareholders. It's not in the interests of the government to hit their own donors with a tax bill, even though it would be the right thing to do.

The RMT dispute is justified IMO. They have had 0% wage increases for the last few years and this year they were told not only was there to be no increase in wages, but they now will work longer shift times and face redundancies. That's just not fair. Trade Unions are there to protect workers and their rights. You may not like or agree with them but their presence is a force for good. They defend the interests of their members. I don't think every union leader is necessarily likeable, but the work a trade union provides is essential, especially in certain sectors of industry.

I think the best thing that could happen to this country would be a change to the voting system. PR is much fairer. Every single vote counts that way. Of course, it would make it very difficult for any party to have a huge majority, but compromise isn't such a bad thing. They used PR in the referendum so why not when it comes to voting in a GE? As far as I know, only the UK, US, Canada and India use first past the post. I don't think it's a fair system. When almost 57% of the votes were cast against the Conservatives in the 2019 election, how should they be able to command an 80 seat majority with only 43%? I think that's true for all parties too, not just because "my side" lost.

Post #552440  Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:55 am 

Darren wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

I think a further windfall tax on the profits of the energy firms is a must. The EU are doing it and it will generate over £120,000,000,000 towards cutting the cost of energy bills. The reason this government won't is that the energy firms over here donate to the Conservative party and many of their MPs. Johnson received £1.3m from energy firms, Pritti Patel got £140k. Truss worked for Shell for 4 years when she was younger. In all, Energy firms are going to make £170b profit. Take a chunk of of that and you can ease the crisis for many of the hardest hit. This profit doesn't filter down to it's employees, it remains firmly with the shareholders. It's not in the interests of the government to hit their own donors with a tax bill, even though it would be the right thing to do.

The RMT dispute is justified IMO. They have had 0% wage increases for the last few years and this year they were told not only was there to be no increase in wages, but they now will work longer shift times and face redundancies. That's just not fair. Trade Unions are there to protect workers and their rights. You may not like or agree with them but their presence is a force for good. They defend the interests of their members. I don't think every union leader is necessarily likeable, but the work a trade union provides is essential, especially in certain sectors of industry.

I think the best thing that could happen to this country would be a change to the voting system. PR is much fairer. Every single vote counts that way. Of course, it would make it very difficult for any party to have a huge majority, but compromise isn't such a bad thing. They used PR in the referendum so why not when it comes to voting in a GE? As far as I know, only the UK, US, Canada and India use first past the post. I don't think it's a fair system. When almost 57% of the votes were cast against the Conservatives in the 2019 election, how should they be able to command an 80 seat majority with only 43%? I think that's true for all parties too, not just because "my side" lost.

They are already paying one of 26%
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... g2WPlxGNAt

Why do you think that RMT train drivers earning between 40 and 90k deserve a rise?

PR would be a joke it'll just give the smallest parties power to control things. Now if you said a secind tier of Government eg a reformed House of Lords, then I might agree.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13808, 13809, 13810, 13811, 13812, 13813, 13814 ... 14269  Next