Fixtures Tuesday April 23rd - Chelsea - Emirates Stadium - 8:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 180 guests

Post #526761  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:17 pm 

Thursday is absolutely crucial now.
Will we stand up and be counted?
Really need to take at least a 2 goal lead preferably 2/3 nil into the 2nd leg.
Slavia Prague are decent.
Will be tough.
No way we should be giving up in the league.
Have a half decent run in.
Can still get top 7 and Europa for next season as a minimum.

Post #526762  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:51 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Ødegaard isn’t even our player he’s on loan and you’d pick Emile Smith Rowe instead of Maddison an England international? Doesn’t make sense to me.

Getting away from the boring comparison ... You wonder where we would be if we got Ancelloti ? I don’t understand this at all. He’s spent a fortune we don’t have and he’s 8th currently.

Brendon Rogers finished 9th in his first season then 5th second for Leicester. You would have sacked him too for not getting more out of the players as you keep saying.

Your usual nonsense TG. 'You would have sacked him too' replying to my statement of 'I don't want him sacked'. Brilliant. If you're happy with 12 (I think, it's hard to keep up) league defeats with our squad of players then we'll have to agree to disagree.
As for Maddison being an England international, so is Maitland-Niles, and I'd pick Emile Smith Rowe ahead of him. I certainly don't think Maddison would 'walk into our side'. Arteta would be rotating him.
If you're happy with 10th place with this group of players then you set the bar far too low in my humble opinion.

Nope 12 league defeats, let alone being 10th in the table shouldn't be acceptable to anybody. A loss against Prague wouldn't/shouldn't be acceptable either Thursday.
Under the circumstances, Arteta really hasn't much choice but to pick a strong side for Thursday. Whether or not the motivation is there from the team will be from sheer cohesion, determination they aren't accepting of the club status.

Post #526763  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:37 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
I'll have some of whatever you're smoking TG.

Presented with an opportunity to be analytical or hysterical.

Bromley chose hysteria.

Well be fair TG, your Saka / McGoldrick comment was hysterical.

Post #526764  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:54 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
I also have this image in my mind of Wilfred Zaha in an Arsenal shirt stuck on the halfway line taking receipt of pass after pass when he’s already marked rather than balls over the top to chase and thrive off

Arsenal surely have more creative players than Crystal Palace. So I’d suggest Zaha would have had more to “thrive off” with us than he does at Palace.

Post #526765  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:54 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Presented with an opportunity to be analytical or hysterical.

Bromley chose hysteria.

Well be fair TG, your Saka / McGoldrick comment was hysterical.

Thank you sir :58big-emoticons:

Post #526766  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:55 pm 

Really not that impressive... :sad3:

https://www.90min.com/posts/mikel-artet ... ene-wenger

Post #526767  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:01 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
I also have this image in my mind of Wilfred Zaha in an Arsenal shirt stuck on the halfway line taking receipt of pass after pass when he’s already marked rather than balls over the top to chase and thrive off

Arsenal surely have more creative players than Crystal Palace. So I’d suggest Zaha would have had more to “thrive off” with us than he does at Palace.

I wasn’t talking about Crystal Palace

On Saturday in the rare occasions we had the ball we just passed sideways. Not sure this is the type of service wingers thrive off. Look at Fabinhos chipped ball to Salah to pursue surely that’s needed. I think in some scenarios it’s hard to judge players in a side that’s struggling.

Post #526768  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:05 pm 

Zed wrote:

3 different managers, 3 different coaching teams all with very similar results. We’re having really bad luck getting the right coaching team in place.

Post #526769  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:10 pm 

Wide players need balls inbetween the lines like the one on 1.02 minutes. We’re missing a playmaker

(Sorry for the shocking music and video)

https://youtu.be/nF7qzDVGKS4

Post #526770  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:11 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Considering Xhaka seems to ‘thrive’ at Palace I assumed you were.

Post #526771  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:19 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Considering Xhaka seems to ‘thrive’ at Palace I assumed you were.

You edited my post :36angers: :36angers:

Hypocrite

Post #526772  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:58 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Zed wrote:

3 different managers, 3 different coaching teams all with very similar results. We’re having really bad luck getting the right coaching team in place.

Playing Russian Roulette of ever getting back into the CL on Thursday.

Post #526773  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:09 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Zed wrote:

Is poor selection by the executive team choosing the coaching staff necessarily the same as bad luck? Questions are clearly being asked of Arteta. We’ve seen that here. Without getting into the debate on how good or bad a job he’s doing, all I will say is that I’m not surprised those questions are being asked.

Post #526774  Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:00 am 

Arteta's Michael Corleone 'head of the Arsenal family', needs a Vito Corleone assistant manager.

Post #526775  Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:29 am 

Still nothing on the Arsenal app about Tierney. Reports elsewhere that he will miss both Sparta games at least. This makes our task difficult. Not sure about Saka and S-R’s injury.

Post #526776  Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:12 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Still nothing on the Arsenal app about Tierney. Reports elsewhere that he will miss both Sparta games at least. This makes our task difficult. Not sure about Saka and S-R’s injury.

The latest I saw was that Tierney would be out for a ‘few weeks’ (whatever than means as a few weeks can turn into months)? So it’s presumably guaranteed he will miss both Prague games. I just hope this is one of the times the phrase ‘a few weeks’ isn’t being used to hide an absence through injury that’s likely to last much longer.

Post #526777  Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:36 am 

Would surely be the worst kit we’ve ever had but this is the rumour !

https://twitter.com/aftvmedia/status/13 ... 25634?s=21

Post #526778  Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:36 am 

We're one of a number of clubs being linked to Hakan Calhanoglu who is available for free at the end of the season with his contract expiring at Milan. He's 27 and presumably would command pretty high wages - as players of 27 and on a bosman tend to do.

Primarily I think we should steer clear of these sorts of signings but I think the club has an incredibly difficult balancing act when signing players as they will need to look around the free transfer market and take some risks. People probably thought signing Willian was pretty low risk!

We've also been linked to Thierry Small a 16 year old highly thought of left-back at Everton who hasn't signed his first pro contract. That is a very low risk signing we could easily make.

Post #526779  Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:40 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Not a fan of that. Although there are so many leaked kits this time of year
https://www.givemesport.com/1669723-ars ... een-leaked

Here's the 3 I've seen 'leaked' for next year.

Post #526780  Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:00 am 

Rich wrote:

Are you a wee bit of an 'Arsenal purist' like I am and only want to see white sleeves? :53big-emoticons:

Post #526781  Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:31 am 

Rich wrote:
We're one of a number of clubs being linked to Hakan Calhanoglu who is available for free at the end of the season with his contract expiring at Milan. He's 27 and presumably would command pretty high wages - as players of 27 and on a bosman tend to do.

Primarily I think we should steer clear of these sorts of signings but I think the club has an incredibly difficult balancing act when signing players as they will need to look around the free transfer market and take some risks. People probably thought signing Willian was pretty low risk!

We've also been linked to Thierry Small a 16 year old highly thought of left-back at Everton who hasn't signed his first pro contract. That is a very low risk signing we could easily make.

With you on the free transfers. Haven’t done too well from these as we overpay in wages and then can’t get rid of them if they fail to perform. 27yo means little resale value.

Post #526782  Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:38 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Are you a wee bit of an 'Arsenal purist' like I am and only want to see white sleeves? :53big-emoticons:

In principle yes, I like white sleeves and a white colour. I don't overly mind a bit of trim down the sides - something you often see with the 3 adidas stripes in an alternate colour.

In reality though Id take a kit that is likely to sell millions over a kit I personally like as I'm not exactly the market these guys design for. I see more and more kids wearing these pretty radical designs with garish colours and patterns.

Post #526783  Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:41 am 

Watched a bit of Jude Bellingham last night and for England. at 17 he is a phenomenal talent. We were supposedly very close. A player like him is exactly what we're missing, can play deep and screen the defence but has vision and quick simple passing range to get the ball forward as well as being comfortable on the ball in the final third. He's tall and well built for a 17 year old as well.

England should absolutely be taking him to the Euros in what is a bit of a problem position for England.

Post #526784  Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:22 am 

Top Guns comprehensive actual list of stuff Arteta is probably getting wrong :58big-emoticons:

Aubameyang wide left, He's not the first to do this but its *%^@*** pointless playing him there and asking him to chase opposing right wingers for 90 minutes when he's our most dangerous player.

Changing the side too frequently, On occasion he's simply changing the line up too often especially the front 3. Find a front 3 and stick to it. How are they going to understand each others movement.

Player X, Playing far too frequently and unwilling to try other central midfield combinations. (which admittedly is a poverty of options )

Ainsley Maitland-Niles, I dont understand what he's done with the player. Looks talented and surely a better more fluid option in midfield.

Loans in (partially his fault and also the clubs and a policy decision) ... Dont loan any players for our first team even Ødegaard, Just doesn't seem befitting a club of our stature to have players on loan littering our first team so our competitors can sign them later or alternatively the player is rarely good enough. Whats the strategy ?

Man Management (sometimes) Not too frequently but there's evidence his man management may not be great judging by the Aubameyang late saga. Its hard to tell but theres a few little indications pointing to a lack of experience. Not a major problem and will ease probably with experience.

Squad building, (partial not totally his fault) Not an easy criticism but there's no way he should have started the season with our midfield options he should have put more pressure on the board rather than scrambling to get loans when we blew our first half of the season.

Post #526785  Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:23 am 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Have to say I don't mind any of those three. The third kit looks like a throwback to the 94/95-95/96 away kits - the 95/96 away kit was the first Arsenal shirt I ever owned.

Post #526786  Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:36 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:

Have to say I don't mind any of those three. The third kit looks like a throwback to the 94/95-95/96 away kits - the 95/96 away kit was the first Arsenal shirt I ever owned.

It is, I also owned that kit with Wright 8 on the back, ended up getting stolen from football changing rooms whilst I played U15 football!
Interesting that that particular kit was a Nike kit whereas Adidas have so far been reinventing 'their' old Arsenal kits

Post #526787  Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:38 am 

Top Guns list of nonsense our fans spout on the regular about Artetas "mistakes"

Lets drop Aubameyang ! yeah right, our most dangerous player and best chance of scoring. Get a grip idiots

He should have kept martinez! no chance we aren't paying a reserve keeper what villa would but feel free to harp on.

Playing Martinelli, Nketiah, Nelson fixes all our problems! There's no actual *%^@*** evidence of this what.so.ever. Sort yourselves out.

Arteta should be getting more out of blatantly and visibly average midfield player x,y,z !! No chance we know these guys too well by now.

Tierney is always injured and its a massive problem!, no problem see how far playing the alternatives get you morons

Arteta is too conservative, not really he just hasn't got the players to play the way he wants right now and attack at pace.

Arteta is too inexperienced Well wenger was too old, Emery middle years and lets be honest Arteta was a shoe in for the city job when pep goes so others don't see his age as a problem.

We shouldn't sign Players with no resale value like Willian! We don't have 250 million to spend each summer folks a compromise is required.

Post #526788  Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:42 am 

Buendia playing superbly well for Norwich who are surely coming back up to the Prem. They have done well to keep hold of him, Pukki, Aarons and Cantwell. Buendia scored 1 and assisted 3 last night, 12 goals and 16 assists for the season.
He's almost certainly out of our reach now as Norwich have little reason to sell if they're coming up this year. Probably the best player outside of the Prem.

Post #526789  Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:06 am 

Attachment:

TOP GUN wrote:

Like the Ajax kit also by Addidas.

Post #526790  Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:20 pm 

Tierney confirmed out for 4-6 weeks. Time to consider Saka at left back for the balance?
Or Pépé on the left wing with Cédric behind

Post #526791  Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:28 pm 

Saka, Smith-Rowe and Xhaka all trained but Ødegaard is a doubt for Thursday.

I'd like to see
Leno, Bellerin, Cédric, Gabriel, Mari, Xhaka, Partey, Saka, Emile Smith Rowe, Pépé, Aubameyang

Post #526792  Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:29 pm 

Rich wrote:
Tierney confirmed out for 4-6 weeks. Time to consider Saka at left back for the balance?

Well that really means the rest of the season then. Unless he gets a run out in the Europa League final.

Post #526793  Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:39 pm 

Rich wrote:

https://www.goal.com/en-au/news/blow-fo ... 22600tgrrr

Post #526794  Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:57 pm 

If Saka goes to left back and Ødegaard isn’t fit it could mean Pépé and Willian on the flanks. I’d rather that than putting Aubameyang out there again. We’d need big performances from both the wide players, be timely for Willian to get his first goal for us!

I’m sure what the fans would like to see is Martinelli out wide left but I doubt there is any chance of that, particularly if Aubameyang starts as striker

Post #526795  Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:33 pm 

So Mikel says he'll axe players who are treating the club as a retreat. A few of the older players are "cruising" along. Guess a few will have to "cruise" on out.
Well some of a certain age who are not much younger than Arteta, seem to feel it unnecessary to follow his tactics, etc. Stated sometime ago that players close in age to Arteta, feel they either know better or don't need to put in the effort.
Should be an interesting lineup against Prague.

Post #526796  Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:40 am 

Has the name for this forum just been changed? Seems someone thinks he is the voice of the forum. That child is just getting more childish.

Post #526797  Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:15 am 

Although seemingly unlikely, anything can happen in a cup competition. So, if the football gods deem it so and Chelsea wins a second CL to our none, I swear I might go into depression. :20hospitals:

Or if the gods smile on us, we may see Poch win his first trophy as manager and it will be the biggest prize of them all and give the finger to Totts. :42laughter:

Post #526798  Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:24 am 

warrior wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Charlie Watt reporting Luiz had surgery on his knee but no news on Tierney which I find strange.

83 games missed: Is Kieran Tierney injury prone?

https://dailycannon.com/2021/04/83-game ... ury-prone/

The answer is yes. Although there are posters on here who suggest that he isn’t. It’s like having a Jag. When it’s running it’s brilliant.

When it’s broken down it lets you down. That’s 2 seasons in a row now. And our brilliant manager backed himself into a corner with no replacement. Oh yes, people will say play Saka there. Well I would prefer him upfront with S-R. We have got lucky because I think 2 of Spartas best players are likely to miss the game.

And while I am stirring the pot. On 3 podcasts I have listened to people thought Leno should have done better with the first Liverpool goal (soft wrists were mentioned by at least 2 of them) so I will mark that as another mistake.

Post #526799  Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:32 am 

The ideal scenario is the kill the tie tonight with a good scoreline. We'll see.

Post #526800  Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:25 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
And while I am stirring the pot. On 3 podcasts I have listened to people thought Leno should have done better with the first Liverpool goal (soft wrists were mentioned by at least 2 of them) so I will mark that as another mistake.

I like Leno but one of the things I've seen mentioned is the lack of proper competition and rest. Rest for GK is still important for the mental fatigue more than physical I'd have thought, one effects the other in terms of reflexes.
Everyone in the squad needs to be kept on their toes with a quality player competing for their place. A proper No.2 is still required in the summer

[ 571785 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13167, 13168, 13169, 13170, 13171, 13172, 13173 ... 14295  Next