Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot and 89 guests

Post #529161  Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:23 pm 

Buendia has 15 goals and 15 assist this season. In my opinion he'd be a better buy for us than Ødegaard even if they were the same price. I can't see how we can get Buendia though, Norwich are coming up, have no reason to sell and his price tag is already meant to be £40m. He also mostly plays from the right side not in a No.10 position

Post #529162  Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:14 pm 

Sorry to yell something non football here.

Lewis Hamilton just achieved his 100th Pole position in F1 qualifying !!!!!!!!

Post #529163  Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:15 pm 

Back to football ...... Spurs lose, yay!!!!!!

Post #529164  Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:23 pm 

Really hope to have Joe Willock back and playing regularly next season. He has it in him,to develop into a very good player. Arteta needs to find a role that allows him to play his best.

Post #529165  Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:25 pm 

Hope Athletico Madrid beats Barca today.

Post #529166  Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:27 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
A long time I said if we won anything it would be 'in spite of' Kroenke not 'because of'. That family may ultimately be able claim they won a lot of trophies (we're talking at least a couple decades of ownership at a minimum) and still be the worse owners in Arsenal history.

Complaining about KSE is like complaining about the weather in London. It is what it is, may as well accept it.

Accept it?, that is the same as accepting the club is dead.

https://www.justarsenal.com/why-i-dont- ... eta/281513

I've said it before but I would take relegation if that is what it took to be rid of KSE.

Post #529167  Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 3:17 pm 

Your anger is completely justified. Now, how do we go about getting Kroenke out? Reasonable ways please.

Post #529168  Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 3:35 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
Zed wrote:
Anybody aware of this from David Dein.

Unconfirmed: I'm hearing Gian Piero Gasperini will be leaving Atalanta in the summer.

He's a reputable and tactically nuanced. He transformed Atalanta from being relegation candidates to regulars in European competitions.

Would you take him?

Don't care focus should be 100% on Kroenke out.

No offence just don't see the point caring about managers unless they get someone like Conte or Allegri and give them a £400M budget, which is about as likely as WBA winning the title next season.

We are not Sevilla Stan so f*ck off!.

Actually, according to Atalanta's website, Gasperini is being considered by Spurs.
Allegri/Conte/Simeone would desire a hefty war chest. Kroenke doesn't or won't do that. Buys on the cheap as long as they have a good rep. Nothing against Arteta, but you know....

Post #529169  Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:06 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
A long time I said if we won anything it would be 'in spite of' Kroenke not 'because of'. That family may ultimately be able claim they won a lot of trophies (we're talking at least a couple decades of ownership at a minimum) and still be the worse owners in Arsenal history.

Complaining about KSE is like complaining about the weather in London. It is what it is, may as well accept it.

I've said it before but I would take relegation if that is what it took to be rid of KSE.

Spot on this article.

Post #529170  Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:13 pm 

Villa have a rough schedule for the duration. They probably won't get anything out of their remaining games. That alone will spare us. I'm not so sure we'll finish ahead of Leeds. Other than their pride, and saving Arteta's job, the players don't have anything to play for.

Post #529171  Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:15 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Your anger is completely justified. Now, how do we go about getting Kroenke out? Reasonable ways please.
"We"? Sorry AG, the only people who can move the Kroenke family out of Arsenal are billionaires who have enough money to pay them enough to go away. Then you will simply have another billionaire to contend with, who will be just as keen as Kroenke on making money from their investment. I am afraid to say the time has long passed since we fans had any meaningful say in the club's future. The occasional protest gathering, flying of planes, interruption of matches or social media campaigns barely touch the skin of these businessmen. That is elite football now.

Post #529172  Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:17 pm 

European football on the horizon for us :15laughter:

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... dVqywBg8PI

Post #529173  Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:57 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
"We"? Sorry AG, the only people who can move the Kroenke family out of Arsenal are billionaires who have enough money to pay them enough to go away. Then you will simply have another billionaire to contend with, who will be just as keen as Kroenke on making money from their investment. I am afraid to say the time has long passed since we fans had any meaningful say in the club's future. The occasional protest gathering, flying of planes, interruption of matches or social media campaigns barely touch the skin of these businessmen. That is elite football now.

Exactly my point about 'accepting' it. The only possible way for fans to have any effect is an across the board boycott and that won't happen.

Kroenke is doesn't care about not being liked. Or rather doesn't care enough to sell for reasons that he's not liked. He wasn't liked in his own hometown before he moved the team. He wasn't motivated to sell it then. Not sure why anyone would think he'd be motivated to sell Arsenal now for non financial/business reasons.

Post #529174  Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:11 pm 

Xhaka, Luiz and Mari all out of tomorrow’s game - as if the game matters much. Although I think a win officially relegated Fat Sam.

We need to just play those who we want to be here next season. Martinelli has to start, Balogun on the bench ahead of Nketiah of needs be. Azeez on the bench or get him in alongside Partey - why not?!

Post #529175  Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:00 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

According to Wenger they were looking for 12 not 2 million for Schwartzer so the assertions in that piece are dubious. I would never except relegation.

Post #529176  Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:55 am 

Gunfire wrote:
Wilts-Gooner wrote:

According to Wenger they were looking for 12 not 2 million for Schwartzer so the assertions in that piece are dubious. I would never except relegation.

My understanding was we tried to get Schwartz when he was at Fulham. They wanted at least 10 mil and we offered 2. Then a number of years later we chased him again at Chelsea and I think we baulked at 2 mil then.

Post #529177  Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:19 am 

I see Leicester are said to be close to signing Boubakary Soumare from Lille.

That is exactly the sort of talent we should be targetting........young with huge potential, a decent level of experience and well suited physically and technically to the demands of the PL.

You have to admire Leicester's approach to transfers. Signing youthful players with big upside who can fit seamlessly into their footballing philosophy and have the attributes to cope in the PL.

Post #529178  Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:03 am 

Allegri comments he’s keen to return to management but said this...

“After a year out and five years at Juventus, I don't want to go back into the game and do badly. That would do my head in."

He’s not coming to Arsenal guys and I thought Artetas comments were telling seemingly saying look don’t pin this all on me we haven’t competed for 5 years.

I bet top tier managers will go running for the hills when the board discuss transfer budgets with them.

Post #529179  Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:39 am 

Bayern secured their 9th title in a row yesterday

Post #529180  Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:44 am 

socrates wrote:

That is exactly the sort of talent we should be targetting........young with huge potential, a decent level of experience and well suited physically and technically to the demands of the PL.

You have to admire Leicester's approach to transfers. Signing youthful players with big upside who can fit seamlessly into their footballing philosophy and have the attributes to cope in the PL.

Exactly, he seems raw but as you say, all the physical attributes to suit the prem.
We spend £31m plus signing on fee for Willian and he’ll be worth nothing when his contract is up. Soumare would likely cost something similar in transfer fee and then maybe another £10m in wages for a similar 3 year deal. But in theory he should improve during that time not decline like Willian and would likely still be worth what we paid in 3 years time.

In some respects we’ve done some very good business and got some good young players signed up to long term deals but we’re also doing quick fix transfers that are actually quite high risk. Needs to be a clear change of strategy in the summer

Post #529181  Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:50 am 

Leicester also well in the race for Edouard from Celtic. 23, good goalscoring record, not an extortionate fee. No guarantee of success but it’s an entirely sensible transfer.

We could also look at Patson Daka, 22, scored over 30 goals for Salzburg this season, taking over from Haaland, could be £20-25m.Always a risk because you never now if someone can step up but strikers in the prem or other top leagues at that age and with a similar goal scoring record are £50m+

Post #529182  Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:33 am 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

Exactly, he seems raw but as you say, all the physical attributes to suit the prem.
We spend £31m plus signing on fee for Willian and he’ll be worth nothing when his contract is up. Soumare would likely cost something similar in transfer fee and then maybe another £10m in wages for a similar 3 year deal. But in theory he should improve during that time not decline like Willian and would likely still be worth what we paid in 3 years time.

In some respects we’ve done some very good business and got some good young players signed up to long term deals but we’re also doing quick fix transfers that are actually quite high risk. Needs to be a clear change of strategy in the summer

Willian is Brazilian, Edu is Brazilian ... connection?

Post #529183  Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:38 am 

https://arseblog.news/2021/05/arteta-th ... s-back-me/

Very strong words from Arteta. A veil warning to some disagreeable (with him) players within the squad?

Post #529184  Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:52 am 

Looks like Arteta is throwing the players under a bus with his 'the squad needs changing'proclamation.
Sincerely hope he knows what he is doing because some of those players will be inclined to think *%^@ him and down tools.
Is he actually not going to take some responsibility for this shitshow.
His boring possession side to side football.
His poor in game management. The fact the players look like they are playing with the shackles on.
His treatment of certain players.
These are all down to him.
Yes the players need to look at themselves too but I hate this tactic from Arteta.
Making it look like it's all on the players.
Hope he knows what he is doing.
Because if he gets his signings in the summer and we are still *%^@ he will have no where to hide..

Post #529185  Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 11:02 am 

Tonight will tell us who is playing for the shirt and who is playing for a paycheck. There is nothing to play for in terms of league position or cups. So, I think this is a good indicator of where the players who are starting are in terms of commitment.

Regarding sacking Arteta. Do we really want to sack Arteta and 'settle'? There should be a defined and exact list of managers we consider 1. an improvement in managerial and tactical ability and 2. will not use us as a way station till a bigger club comes along.

Keep Arteta until such a manager is on board.

Post #529186  Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 11:34 am 

Chelsea is on our schedule and while I'd like to beat them, they have more to play for than we do. They are fighting it out for 3rd with Leicester. (C'mon Foxes). However, they may also want to preserve players for the CL. We'll have to see. Can't see them taking it easy for a major London derby.

I think we'll finish 9th. Our international players may not want to get hurt as well. Again, the rest of the season may determine what bit of housecleaning may have to be done. I'd love to see Martinelli start as well as other younger players who haven't been given a chance but Arteta knows his job is on the line so he'll likely field his best XI or close to it.

Post #529187  Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:06 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
https://arseblog.news/2021/05/arteta-the-squad-needs-changing-the-owners-back-me/

Very strong words from Arteta. A veil warning to some disagreeable (with him) players within the squad?

“The squad needs changing,” Arteta told Sky Sports ahead of Sunday’s clash with West Brom.

“There were already a lot of changes in December, something that has not been done in years, but it tells us where we were. Things are going to have to change and the owners are going to back it up.”

It’s no secret that the Premier League has become more competitive since Arsenal last qualified for the Champions League under Arsene Wenger. On and off the pitch, the gap on ‘smaller’ clubs has closed and there’s a fear the decline under the Kroenke ownership is terminal.

“Time is catching up right now,” said Arteta. “It’s a trend, it’s years now that this has been happening. If the distance and the margins with the rest become too big, then it’s almost impossible to do it.

Absolutely nailed on.

Post #529188  Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:20 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
https://arseblog.news/2021/05/arteta-the-squad-needs-changing-the-owners-back-me/

“The squad needs changing,” Arteta told Sky Sports ahead of Sunday’s clash with West Brom.

“There were already a lot of changes in December, something that has not been done in years, but it tells us where we were. Things are going to have to change and the owners are going to back it up.”

It’s no secret that the Premier League has become more competitive since Arsenal last qualified for the Champions League under Arsene Wenger. On and off the pitch, the gap on ‘smaller’ clubs has closed and there’s a fear the decline under the Kroenke ownership is terminal.

“Time is catching up right now,” said Arteta. “It’s a trend, it’s years now that this has been happening. If the distance and the margins with the rest become too big, then it’s almost impossible to do it.

Absolutely nailed on.

No question. I wouldn't be surprised if next season there is a gap between the big four and a large mob of clubs scrapping for Europa league places, and a relatively short tail of genuinely relegation teams. There might be one or two (Leicester, Spurs? ) that hang onto the top four but I think that will be the basic shape that emerges. I can't see the big four floundering around like the big four have all done at various point this season.

Clubs that want to break into that elite club are going to have to do something exceptional, most likely with the check-book. Whether Arteta is the man for the job is separate issue. However, really I doubt changing the manager is going to get us back into the top four. I would certainly support giving him until the end of the year.

Post #529189  Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:01 pm 

Tough to know who to cheery for in the West Ham vs Everton game. I want them both to finish above clubs around them I dislike. But if I had to choose, I'll say West Ham. A fantastic year for them. If the world is fair and just, Moyes should get manager of the year. Just edging Areta....just :42laughter:

Side note, great to see Fabianski carve out a decent PL career for himself.

Post #529190  Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:02 pm 

I saw someone wonder what effect having a full stadium will have on Arteta's insistence to shout every pass and movement of players from the touchline. Right now they can hear him and seem frozen in what they might naturally do vs doing what Arteta says - it has seemed to certainly stiffle any fluidity in the attacking third. Might a full stadium drown Arteta out, or maybe he gives up and the players are forced to rely far more on their instincts

Post #529191  Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:24 pm 

One thing I think happens in several sports is that coaches yell, talk, instruct, throughout a game partially to release energy, frustration, and if you are not out there yourself, you create a few mechanisms to try and alter it.

Anyone who has coached a youth team will know that. My brother coaches a soccer team and I had to coach his 'B' team once about 15 years ago, when I visited him and they had a tournament. The other parent had an emergency. I found myself just talking to the referee, the players, etc, partially out of frustration their not doing what needs to be done to be effective and partially because I just couldn't sit there still and out of nervousness was constantly talking to them, encouraging them, whatever I could do to get those 9 year olds to play properly.

I don't think most of the players know what Pep or Klopp is saying. My guess is they tune them out, except the players on that side of the pitch and even then they only listen when they deem the manager really needs to stress something.

It won't be just Arteta. They will all have to get used to loud stadiums where they can't be heard.

Post #529192  Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:39 pm 

2 goals and no wins in our last 6 at home.

Martinelli up front today. Willian starts. Saka probably left back. And the joy of Elneny and Ceballos in central midfield in what must be one of the most underwhelming partnerships of the last 25 years

Post #529193  Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:42 pm 

Ceballos plays, Willian plays, Saka full back?

1Leno
21Chambers
16Holding
6Gabriel
7Saka
25Elneny
8Ceballos
19Pépé
32Smith Rowe
12Willian
35Martinelli

Substitutes
2Bellerín
3Tierney
9Lacazette
11Ødegaard
13Rúnarsson
14Aubameyang
17Cédric Soares
18Partey
30Nketiah

No Aubameyang or Lacazette in startup

Post #529194  Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:53 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Ceballos plays, Willian plays, Saka full back?

No Aubameyang or Lacazette in startup

They’re being rested for the Europa League fina........ oh, wait.

Post #529195  Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:59 pm 

Here’s a good stat. Kroenke‘a ranch at 800 square miles is bigger than NYC and LA combined...

Post #529196  Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:01 pm 

That's put the kaibosh on it . Fat Sam never beaten Arsenal away. This never comes up every game and the opposition have wiped out all the nevers to date#

Post #529197  Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:02 pm 

3 days ago I said no more this season. I’ve had enough. And yet here I am once again.

Post #529198  Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:03 pm 

Bored wrote:
Here’s a good stat. Kroenke‘a ranch at 800 square miles is bigger than NYC and LA combined...

40 x 20 miles!!

Wow.

Post #529199  Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:05 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
3 days ago I said no more this season. I’ve had enough. And yet here I am once again.

ditto but I also cancelled my red membership saving £29.00 a year.

Post #529200  Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:07 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

ditto but I also cancelled my red membership saving £29.00 a year.

I have been reflecting on whether or not to renew silver membership for my family. And Covid adds another dimension.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13227, 13228, 13229, 13230, 13231, 13232, 13233 ... 14269  Next