Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 100 guests

Post #549001  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:52 pm 

Darren wrote:
As a massive remainer, I've come to the conclusion that Brexit needs to unravel itself. People don't want to be yelled at, a mistake I've made myself. They just have to see that the version of the Brexit that seems to be here is one that is unsustainable. The only way Brexit can succeed is to adopt a Norway type agreement. The fishing industry, who voted for Brexit, have been trashed, the farming industry -who again, were hugely pro-brexit, has been trashed. People need to live the disaster of this before the majority realises it was an error. At least in the way the ideologues have tried to sell it.

It may take many, many years to reverse, but it will eventually, certainly to a large extent - and it doesn't necessarily mean rejoining to acheive that. People need to see it for themselves though. Whilst the EU is very far from perfect, but we're better being closer to them than by being antagonistic and breaking laws and legally binding agreements. It won't end well.

The grand kids will have to fix what their grandparents bestowed upon them. It’s as simple as that. They need a clean sweep and to disappear an entire generation associated with the poison it is.

It’s all brexit, Boris leaving, problems in northern Ireland, economy tanking, cost of living, public transport everything. It’s all connected to that decision. The next leader will have to fight the problems caused by brexit whilst not being able to admit it’s because of brexit before ultimately failing because of brexit and resigning because of brexit. And then, and then, and then. It can’t be fixed and starmers comments about it last week highlight the depth of the problem. It’s made politicians impotent

By all means feel bad about yelling but don’t suggest it’s not unfair or inappropriate to do so.

Post #549002  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:58 pm 

Not sure you can blame everything on brexit. Most economies in the world are tanking because of a global pandemic followed by Russia invading Ukraine sending fuel prices soaring and causing widespread inflationary pressures.

Brexit may end up being a complete disaster but let’s not pretend everything is rosy in everyone else’s garden.

Post #549003  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:18 pm 

socrates wrote:
Not sure you can blame everything on brexit. Most economies in the world are tanking because of a global pandemic followed by Russia invading Ukraine sending fuel prices soaring and causing widespread inflationary pressures.

Brexit may end up being a complete disaster but let’s not pretend everything is rosy in everyone else’s garden.

That’s true. Inflation rampant everywhere and most places sliding into a big downturn, higher interest rates and shortages.

Post #549004  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:50 pm 

socrates wrote:

only Russia hobbled by western sanctions is performing worse among the G20 leading economies than Britain. Why do you think this is? Because we’ve literally applied sanctions to ourselves without a war.

You literally have to flatten entire cities of innocent people to get worse. The world has its issues, ours is self flagellation and it’s time to admit it

Post #549005  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:27 am 

I cannot comment on the UK but over in Oz a few chickens are coming home to roost. There are 2 whole generations who have had very good times. Low unemployment, historically low interest rates and things served up on a plate to them. They want to blame the baby boomers for actually wanting pensions and assistance as they get older. Many are very self centred and me, me, me. They have never been given proper assessments of themselves by parents or schools. Everyone gets a medal for participation.

When you tell them stories of housing interest rates of 17% they treat you as if you are lying. Now interest rates moving up, shortages of everything from food to semi conductors, big inflation and a need to tighten their belts they are already starting to melt down and want more govt assistance. They need to focus on some of the positives like we live in a democracy, we are well paid, and we have a lot of freedoms. The weather can be good bad or catastrophic but you need to roll with the punches.

My parents had the threat of a Japanese invasion. Resilience is not a foreign word.

Post #549006  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:21 am 

Best sim on the market is Lebara. Monthly contract 3gb data and only

£6

Post #549007  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:23 am 

Ffs remoaners check out how good the EU is atcthe moment before squealing.

Their economy is tanking worse than ours. They are completely disunited.

They are led by morons and cannot agree on anything

Post #549008  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:32 am 

Man U have made a €50m bid for Martinez. He seems like a very good player but for us it seems like he’d be 4th choice CB, 2nd choice LB and maybe 3rd choice defensive mid. €50m is an awful lot to spend on someone like that. I’d expect Man U to get him now and we move to other targets. Maybe back in for Zinchenko who would easily cost half the price, maybe Grimaldo who is available for €7m!

If we go in to the season with just 4 CB but get one of the two above for left back cover I’d like us to get another RB as Tomiyasu could also be needed to cover at RB

Post #549009  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:22 am 

While I couldn't claim to understand the vagaries of why Boris Johnson resigned, within the Democratic party, its now growing from whispering to audible murmurs for Biden to step down.

Similar thing happened with President Johnson before 1968 as the Vietnam war dragged on. Stories, examples, of Biden needing cues to simply turn around at public meetings are now being told weekly. He's seen not only as being victim to the aging process (memory lapses, etc) but also inaction and no strategy when he's cogent.

Democrats will lose control of the Congress in November. Even the most optimistic of polls for the Dems show that. The quesiton is a matter of how badly. Biden will not be able to get anything done in his last 2 years. Not that he has an agenda. There are candidates being suggested to the press to replace him. A toe in the water so to speak to see if the public shows any liking.

Conversely, Trump is not as popular within the Republican party as he was. Its still his party. But he does not command anything close to the same power he did just a few years ago. Florida's Desantis, who I wrote on here many months ago is a smarter version of Trump leads in some internal polls. As one of the laws in the book 48 Laws of Power suggests, "Never outshine the master", Desantis won't publicly challenge Trump who has dropped not too subtle hints that he should remain on the sidelines in the '24 elections.

Desantis has made some outright fascists state laws as governor of Florida but one shouldn't be surprised a Republican does. Likewise, the far left wing of the Democratic party also make suggestions that are way out of the norm for most Americans. Biden is not anything close to a progressive so its local progressives (such as in San Francisco and other areas) and companies, with the vocal support of progressive politicians at all levels carrying it out. Companies were quick to offer its employees time off and money if they want to get abortions outside of 'red states' for example.

Back to the UK, as an outsider, but still tangentially connected to UK politics as a football fan, it will be interesting to see where your government ends up. The still lingering on the after effects of Brexit and if the nation will remain so or slowly (or not so slowly...or quietly) walk its way back to Europe remains to be seen. Only a guess but it may be certain industries, most affected that push for changes. That would depend on how strong their voice within the government and public is.

With an ear to what the domestic and global markets are doing, the voices saying there will be a massive economic crash are growing. And its said to happen within the not too distant future. A year? Or at best 2 or 3 year hence. It will be global and it will be massive. If it does happen, there are various theories of what will happen politically within our respective countries as a result.

No idea how it will change things within the UK but I would be surprised if America doesn't see a huge rise in mass shootings, and both the right and left fringe growing.

Post #549010  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:14 am 

DHD wrote:
Tested positive today.

Fucketyfuck.

I tested positive yesterday as well. So far its been no worse than a cold. Hope yours is mellow

Post #549011  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:53 am 

Former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe shot dead

Post #549012  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:10 am 

Bored wrote:
DHD wrote:
Tested positive today.

Fucketyfuck.

I tested positive yesterday as well. So far its been no worse than a cold. Hope yours is mellow

It’s all a bit weird, Bored. I have a slight sniffle and an occasional cough. I sincerely hope it stays that way for the both of us.

One of my guys in the office is really quite crook but for me so far, it’s a piece of piss.

Post #549013  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:19 am 

DHD wrote:
Tested positive today.

Fucketyfuck.

As did I 45 mins ago.

Post #549014  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:22 am 

Gunfire wrote:
DHD wrote:
Tested positive today.

Fucketyfuck.

As did I 45 mins ago.

Best of luck GF

Post #549015  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:25 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I cannot comment on the UK but over in Oz a few chickens are coming home to roost. There are 2 whole generations who have had very good times. Low unemployment, historically low interest rates and things served up on a plate to them. They want to blame the baby boomers for actually wanting pensions and assistance as they get older. Many are very self centred and me, me, me. They have never been given proper assessments of themselves by parents or schools. Everyone gets a medal for participation.

When you tell them stories of housing interest rates of 17% they treat you as if you are lying. Now interest rates moving up, shortages of everything from food to semi conductors, big inflation and a need to tighten their belts they are already starting to melt down and want more govt assistance. They need to focus on some of the positives like we live in a democracy, we are well paid, and we have a lot of freedoms. The weather can be good bad or catastrophic but you need to roll with the punches.

My parents had the threat of a Japanese invasion. Resilience is not a foreign word.

Cost of housing seems to be the problem. Sadly if the current crop of politicians don't solve the problem less savoury people will move in with their solutions. The acute housing shortage in Italy led to the creation of Casa Pound and avowedly fascist organisation who bought houses but only for white Christian Italians as in their eyes these were the only true Italians. We have fascist parties doing well at the polls in Italy, Spain, Poland etc. I don't want to see them here but politicians need to get the finger out ............and fast.

Post #549016  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:27 am 

DHD wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

As did I 45 mins ago.

Best of luck GF

Thanks. I work as self employed and meet lots of people so the missus has to take over. She is pissed off that I get read Arsenal related stuff for the whole day..........................and I have a good excuse. :58big-emoticons:

Post #549017  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:34 am 

Gunfire wrote:
DHD wrote:

Best of luck GF

Thanks. I work as self employed and meet lots of people so the missus has to take over. She is pissed off that I get read Arsenal related stuff for the whole day..........................and I have a good excuse. :58big-emoticons:

I’m sitting here in the garden with some nice food and a bottle of beer.

Having worried bout this moment for more than 2 years, I feel a bit of a fraud.

Post #549018  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:45 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
[...he world has its issues, ours is self flagellation and it’s time to admit it
What fascinates me is the weakness of those who wish to rejoin Europe. Why don't they form their equivalent of UKIP, and fight a General Election on the issue? Love or loath him, that is what Farage did. Nobody made it easy for UKIP but they persisted in their campaigns and achieved a referendum. If it is so blindingly obvious that Brexit is a mistake why is no major British political party or a new party taking it up?

Post #549019  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:00 pm 

DHD wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

I’m sitting here in the garden with some nice food and a bottle of beer.

Having worried bout this moment for more than 2 years, I feel a bit of a fraud.

You shouldn't. The vaccine is doing its job.

A friend of mine has gone down with Covid twice in less than 4 weeks. The current bout he has is a lot worse than the first one, which is interesting. I think we just all need to be mindful over the summer. I travel on the tube a couple of times a week and it's noticeable how very few people are wearing masks now. It was always going to happen like this as people return to normality, but to think it's going way any time soon is naive .

Post #549020  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:01 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Cost of housing seems to be the problem...politicians need to get the finger out ............and fast.
You are right, but sad to say the social housing boat seems to have been irretrievably holed. Since Thatcher's Right To Buy home ownership has been used to denigrate what was once a proud, if rather tattered at times, Council homes provision. People talk about Brexit as a mistake, but for me it pales into insignificance when looking at the way UK governments of all colours have turned their backs on a basic human and community need over the past 40+ years. All the fine, if sometimes imperfect, work of previous Tory and Labour administrations since the First World War was given away, and with subsidy from the public purse, in an alarmingly short time.

Post #549021  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:02 pm 

But to all of you affected, get well soon.

Post #549022  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:05 pm 

If anyone wants a gripping sumner read I would highly recommend ’American Dirt’. It’s about a mother and young son trying to escape from a Mexican cartel and get to the U.S.
I read it in a day and a half. Interestingly its received some criticism not about the story or writing but because the author wasn’t Mexican.

Post #549023  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:11 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
[...he world has its issues, ours is self flagellation and it’s time to admit it
What fascinates me is the weakness of those who wish to rejoin Europe. Why don't they form their equivalent of UKIP, and fight a General Election on the issue? Love or loath him, that is what Farage did. Nobody made it easy for UKIP but they persisted in their campaigns and achieved a referendum. If it is so blindingly obvious that Brexit is a mistake why is no major British political party or a new party taking it up?

It’s too much of a political hot potato. Well lib dems say they would.

Nearly all our major press is controlled by non dom owners who agree with brexit for their own selfish reasons. There isn’t enough of a national movement right to change it. It depends if you believe in democracy or not. I personally don’t vote anymore and am unlikely to ever again.

Season 3 of succession explains this better than I could

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... -president

We aren’t the democracy many believe.

Like Darren said yesterday you will have to let it run it’s course and cause more havoc before the realisation grows. The people who supported it will have to want to change it and going by Andrea Jenkins behaviour that will be a while.

Btw UKIP didn’t force a referendum it was Cameron appealing to the loons in his own party to save his own arse.

Post #549024  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:45 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Gunfire wrote:
Cost of housing seems to be the problem...politicians need to get the finger out ............and fast.
You are right, but sad to say the social housing boat seems to have been irretrievably holed. Since Thatcher's Right To Buy home ownership has been used to denigrate what was once a proud, if rather tattered at times, Council homes provision. People talk about Brexit as a mistake, but for me it pales into insignificance when looking at the way UK governments of all colours have turned their backs on a basic human and community need over the past 40+ years. All the fine, if sometimes imperfect, work of previous Tory and Labour administrations since the First World War was given away, and with subsidy from the public purse, in an alarmingly short time.

Same in Ireland. The whole way social housing has gone reminds me of the loadsa a money sketch in the Fastshow. Disdain for anyone renting.

Post #549025  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:54 pm 

Issa Kaboré - a youth team Man City player they farmed out to their feeder club Troyes was subject to a £17m bid from Forrest. I know City pay decent money to bring these young players to the club, they aren't exactly young players from the surrounding Manchester area, but a) are they that much better than the young players we have? and b) they get some astonishing fees from clubs. I think they've already sold two youth team players I've never heard of for £14m and £12m respectively. Probably with buy back clauses.

I think we need to learn from this. No harm in selling a highly rated youth team player as long as you put a decent buy back clause in. Sell for £5-10m, have a buy-back at £30m - you're only going to trigger the buy back if you consider the player is now good enough for your first team, and if a player is considered good enough for our first team £30m is probably half what he'd cost on an open market.

in a similar note I'm seeing us being linked to Bennecar (our former youth team player) for £40m.

Post #549026  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:56 pm 

https://twitter.com/afcstuff/status/154 ... tDUochfLyA

Jesus looking sharp. Although he's turning Pablo Mari far too easily in training. Mari clearly not where we need to be now. Struggling to shift him even for a nominal fee it seems.

Post #549027  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:58 pm 

And we're losing. 1 nil now.

Post #549028  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:02 pm 

And 2 nil now. :22cry:

Post #549029  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:05 pm 

2-0 down after 29 minutes vs Nurnberg in our first pre-season friendly. Pitchforks at the ready!

Post #549030  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:15 pm 

warrior wrote:
And 2 nil now. :22cry:

Just like old times :1laughter:

Post #549031  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:15 pm 

Watched Arsenal play pre season friendlies for years. At ibrox to the valley and back again. My advice ? There’s absolutely nothing to be gleaned from them so don’t pay attention what so ever. Average players look amazing and amazing players look average.

Watched a fatty version of Arshavin turn up for arsenal at Barnet and another time when we started yaya toure.

Honestly it’s all about fitness.

People trying to analyse a pointless game on twitter. Get a life and watch a cricket game losers

Post #549032  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:18 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Watched Arsenal play pre season friendlies for years. At ibrox to the valley and back again. My advice ? There’s absolutely nothing to be gleaned from them so don’t pay attention what so ever. Average players look amazing and amazing players look average.

Watched a fatty version of Arshavin turn up for arsenal at Barnet and another time when we started yaya toure.

Honestly it’s all about fitness.

People trying to analyse a pointless game on twitter. Get a life and watch a cricket game losers

Exactly.

Although if we lose I do think Arteta should be sacked.

Post #549033  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:20 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Love or loath him, that is what Farage did. Nobody made it easy for UKIP but they persisted in their campaigns and achieved a referendum.

As TG pointed out, it was Cameron who appeased his loony right-wingers with a referendum in the full and certain knowledge it would be a ‘no’. That went well, didn’t it?

But on your other point Old Man, Farage was no plucky underdog. He played by different rules. UKIP didn’t raise £millions from whist drives and tombola. He was the darling of the right wing media and enjoyed publicity and support you couldn’t buy - and that’s before we start delving into the massive financial support UKIP got from the flaky non-dom’s and Putin’s Russia, all of whom have benefitted massively from the de-stabilisation of Europe.

Post #549034  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:22 pm 

Dorries leadership bid

https://www.mailplus.co.uk/edition/news ... -could-too

Imagine it! Just imagine it!!!

Post #549035  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:30 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Get a life and watch a cricket game losers

Can't stand cricket.

I'd rather watch grass grow - provided there aren't any cricket players blocking the view.

Post #549036  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:38 pm 

socrates wrote:
Although if we lose I do think Arteta should be sacked.

Post #549037  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:44 pm 

2 - 1 Now.

Jesus scored at 47 minutes.

About time he pulled his weight. I don't recall him scoring anything for us last season.

Post #549038  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:46 pm 

2 - 2 Now.

Elneny scored at 54 minutes.

Top Gun will be pleased as he knows the importance of these games. :12hello-bye:

Post #549039  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:50 pm 

2 - 3 now for us. An OG by Nurnberg.

Post #549040  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:50 pm 

Fantastic power play in the second half :58big-emoticons:
3 goals in under 15 min :21encouragement:

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13723, 13724, 13725, 13726, 13727, 13728, 13729 ... 14269  Next