Fixtures Tuesday July 13th - Hibernian - Easter Road - Friendly Match - 6:00 Pm

Kick-Off

       Injuries                    Steve Gleiber



Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:31 pm

All times are UTC


  


Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, long time gooner, Rich and 5 guests

 
Post #529281  Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 1:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 30745

Rich wrote:
Willian's first goal for us apparently came from only his 3rd shot on target for us.

So, in other words, Willian only has 3 more shots on goal than I have?

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will Be" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529282  Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 1:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13902

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Leicester midfield 3 this weekend, ndidi, tielemans, Maddison

West Ham soucek, Lanzini, Lingard

Nevermind City, chelsea etc

Arsenal yesterday? El Nenny, cebackpass and Smith Rowe.....would you swap ours for theirs ? utter poverty. Our fans are deluded if you think we can get in the top 4 with players like that getting so many games. You won’t get anywhere

Farcical, self-inflicted wound.

Arteta desperately wanted two quality midfielders. He got one. Really shouldn't have loaned out all of our promising up and coming midfielders. Really shouldn't have moved one of our two half decent remaining midfielders to left back.


Let’s be honest here the players we’ve loaned out are not our saviours. It’s really searching to suggest otherwise

It’s not like we’ve made the mistake of loaning out Kai Havertz or mason mount. I’d have kept AMN but couldn’t argue with loaning Willock.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529283  Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13891

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Farcical, self-inflicted wound.

Arteta desperately wanted two quality midfielders. He got one. Really shouldn't have loaned out all of our promising up and coming midfielders. Really shouldn't have moved one of our two half decent remaining midfielders to left back.


Let’s be honest here the players we’ve loaned out are not our saviours. It’s really searching to suggest otherwise

It’s not like we’ve made the mistake of loaning out Kai Havertz or mason mount. I’d have kept AMN but couldn’t argue with loaning Willock.

In an ideal world. But not if you only have Ceballos and El Neny in the cupboard.

We should have kept at least one of AMN, Willock or Guendouzi.

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529284  Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13891

mcquilkie wrote:
Decaf wrote:
I think it might be a case of just giving him minutes. You have to take a chance with young players, even if they look slightly out of their depth initially. In an ideal world (i.e one in which we had decent midfielders and Willock would have been firmly in the 'one for future' category) loaning him out would have been the right move.

Fair enough, but, believe it or not, Willock played 61 first-team games in the season and a half before he went on loan (obviously most off the bench), so he'd had plenty of opportunities to make an impact.

You are correct. I have to admit that I didn't think he was ready to play first team, from what we saw this season.

But the point is that we really did leave ourselves very thin in a couple of crucial positions.

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529285  Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:38 pm
Posts: 5201
Location: ɹǝpu∩uʍop

Decaf wrote:
But the point is that we really did leave ourselves very thin in a couple of crucial positions.

Defense, ownership, goalkeeping, coaching, management, forwards, scouting, midfield .... :25surprise:


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529286  Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 19175

warrior wrote:
Decaf wrote:
But the point is that we really did leave ourselves very thin in a couple of crucial positions.

Defense, ownership, goalkeeping, coaching, management, forwards, scouting, midfield .... :25surprise:


Yeh, but apart from that we're not in bad shape.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529287  Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:27 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:45 am
Posts: 23599

Interesting read about Martinelli. Might explain why he is now struggling a bit after a stellar start. https://newsjust24all.com/mikel-arteta- ... R0hua9CDc4

_________________
I believe in our team, I believe in our quality and I am convinced that I am right. (Arsene Wenger Dec 08)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529288  Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13902

warrior wrote:
Decaf wrote:
But the point is that we really did leave ourselves very thin in a couple of crucial positions.

Defense, ownership, goalkeeping, coaching, management, forwards, scouting, midfield .... :25surprise:

:14laughter: lol

We should have moved our one good player from wide right to left back so we could put our totally inadequate midfielder filling in there back in his midfield spot to replace an even more Inadequate midfield player who was playing there Inadequately instead. Only problem with that ? Probably means playing someone wide right who won’t be adequate!

https://youtu.be/SnmX4f6VBRw


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529289  Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 19175

Leno is meant to be up for sale which seems a bit odd.

I did read some reports a couple of weeks ago that he had asked for a transfer.

To sell Martinez and then sell Leno the very next summer seems poor planning, unless they have a pretty darn good replacement lined up.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529290  Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:38 pm
Posts: 5201
Location: ɹǝpu∩uʍop

socrates wrote:
Leno is meant to be up for sale which seems a bit odd.

There's 6 of them up for sale.

https://www.football365.com/news/bernd- ... r-overhaul


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529291  Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13902

Yeah it’s a Kroenke inspired summer warchest PR article

This bit..

But Mikel Arteta still retains the support of Arsenal’s hierarchy and the club are prepared to spend big in an ‘unprecedented’ transfer window

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2021/05/10/arsenal- ... to=cbshare


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529292  Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13902

Pretty sure Leno will enjoy cracking on with his career without missing Arsenal fans blaming him every time a goal goes in. Wouldn’t shock me if he wanted out sharpish


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529293  Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13891

socrates wrote:
warrior wrote:
Defense, ownership, goalkeeping, coaching, management, forwards, scouting, midfield .... :25surprise:


Yeh, but apart from that we're not in bad shape.

:laughing7: :laughing7:

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529294  Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 2793

Forbes top 50 sports teams for 2021.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... s-24078326

_________________
Be careful who you call your friends. I'd rather have four quarters than one hundred pennies.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529295  Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:12 pm 
Online

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18700

long time gooner wrote:
Interesting read about Martinelli. Might explain why he is now struggling a bit after a stellar start. https://newsjust24all.com/mikel-arteta- ... R0hua9CDc4

It is a fair piece. I still think Martinelli can be a fine centre forward but there are very few 19 year olds who play the lone striker role anywhere in europe let alone at a big club, and those that do will almost certainly be surrounded by top quality.

20 years ago Martinelli could have broken through as a striker partnership in a classic 'big man/little man' combo. Right now the lone striker is one of the hardest positions for a young player to break in to first team football, mainly because physically they are often up against experienced centre backs and there's 2 of them to 1 of them, and there is a lot more to the lone striker role than running in behind quickly, dribbling and lethal finishing - which are the things that the best young strikers tend to be very good at.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529296  Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:14 pm 
Online

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18700

warrior wrote:
socrates wrote:
Leno is meant to be up for sale which seems a bit odd.

There's 6 of them up for sale.

https://www.football365.com/news/bernd- ... r-overhaul

Surely there needs to be a 1 in front of that 6?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529297  Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:27 pm 
Online

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18700

Zed wrote:
Forbes top 50 sports teams for 2021.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... s-24078326

A bit surprised to see Liverpool so high, only $100m behind Man U? Surely that can't be right.
Also Liverpool values at $1.3 billion more than Arsenal. It is only really the last 5 years they've overtaken us on the pitch consistently. I understand they have more history, more trophies and more fans but I'm surprised at that valuation in relation to others.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529298  Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:42 pm 
Online

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18700

You can look at form tables in the league and put in the start date you want.
In the last 25 games (so take out the first 10 of the season) we're 6th
In the last 20 games we're 4th
In the last 15 games we're 5th
In the last 10 games we're 4th

I'm not putting this up here to show we're on the right track per se, more to show how wildly inconsistent so much of the league and teams have been this season.
It feels like we've only had a decent run of 6 games around the turn of the year the rest has been a lot of up and down so it is hard to think of us as the 4th best team over the last 20 games which is a big sample.

This season more than any has had a very strange set of circumstances - the same for every team of course. It will be very interesting to see what happens assuming fans can fill stadiums next year, do things return to a bit of normality, you'd think the home/away records will after being way off this year


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529299  Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 6430
Location: Townsville Australia

Decaf wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
The moment he picked Willian for this game said it all.

Again, you completely ruin you credibility with statements like this.

Why wouldn't he play Willian in this utterly pointless, season already over, game?

Who in your view should have played in Willians position?

I am still livid with Arteta with the Xhaka at leftback thing. But one does need to get a grip.

Because we need to be managing him out of the club, not giving him expectations he is to stay.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529300  Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 30745

Rich wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Interesting read about Martinelli. Might explain why he is now struggling a bit after a stellar start. https://newsjust24all.com/mikel-arteta- ... R0hua9CDc4

It is a fair piece. I still think Martinelli can be a fine centre forward but there are very few 19 year olds who play the lone striker role anywhere in europe let alone at a big club, and those that do will almost certainly be surrounded by top quality.

20 years ago Martinelli could have broken through as a striker partnership in a classic 'big man/little man' combo. Right now the lone striker is one of the hardest positions for a young player to break in to first team football, mainly because physically they are often up against experienced centre backs and there's 2 of them to 1 of them, and there is a lot more to the lone striker role than running in behind quickly, dribbling and lethal finishing - which are the things that the best young strikers tend to be very good at.


I'm still a big fan of Martinelli and think all he needs his time. It should also be noted, its not like he's got the best support on the pitch at times. Also, he needs time to build a working relationship with the players who do play well like Saka, Smith Rowe and Tierney. They know his movements and he knowing theirs.

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will Be" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529301  Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 30745

Because of Mo Salah, Liverpool is huge in Moslem countries, especially Arab countries. There are Liverpool shops in the major malls in Dubai.

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will Be" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529302  Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 7264

So it looks as though UEFA will shift the CL Final from Istanbul because of the Covid risks in that city. The obvious choice is Wembley in pretty much Covid-clear UK; this would allow maybe 20,000 fans to attend.

But no. Oh no no noooo. UK is still barring entry to a number of countries which means that some of UEFA's 'guests' and sponsors would have difficulty attending.

Portugal on the other hand has a more relaxed approach to visitors so UEFA can bring in 3,000 high-roller lick-spittle cronies. And their wives. And their nieces. Bollocks to the club fans.

All things considered, I am not in favour of a breakaway elite. However, anyone who believes those UEFA weasels have the best interests of the game at the heart of their decision-making is deluded. They are leeches, just like the Kroenkes and the Glazers.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529303  Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 9170

DHD wrote:
So it looks as though UEFA will shift the CL Final from Istanbul because of the Covid risks in that city. The obvious choice is Wembley in pretty much Covid-clear UK; this would allow maybe 20,000 fans to attend.

But no. Oh no no noooo. UK is still barring entry to a number of countries which means that some of UEFA's 'guests' and sponsors would have difficulty attending.

Portugal on the other hand has a more relaxed approach to visitors so UEFA can bring in 3,000 high-roller lick-spittle cronies. And their wives. And their nieces. Bollocks to the club fans.

All things considered, I am not in favour of a breakaway elite. However, anyone who believes those UEFA weasels have the best interests of the game at the heart of their decision-making is deluded. They are leeches, just like the Kroenkes and the Glazers.

I once had a count of the exact money I spent to go to our Europa League final against Chelsea in Baku. It came out that I spent £1,143 and a some pence, think it was around 50p, that I wouldn’t have spent had I not gone. I don’t know how many Arsenal and Chelsea fans went to the game, but I assume the ones from London and the Home Counties all spent at least that. I say at least because I didn’t stop overnight and doing so would have cost even more. Well, I didn’t stay overnight but I did, simply in the airport waiting rooms as the flight back was delayed hours on end until some time the following morning.

All for a 4-1 bloody hammering. But my own experiences of that game makes me agree with you about UEFA. The game was between two London clubs. Why couldn’t it have been rearranged for Wembley?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529304  Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 2793

https://www.google.com/amp/s/weaintgotn ... ley-report

Porto of course. And 20K fans, UEFA cronies, dignitaries, their entourage, other hangers-on....naturally. :icon_mrgreen:

_________________
Be careful who you call your friends. I'd rather have four quarters than one hundred pennies.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529305  Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 6430
Location: Townsville Australia

Arseblog are reporting we are hiring a team to recruit new scouts. Looks like sacking the scouts was a mistake. Who would have guessed it.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529306  Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 19175

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Arseblog are reporting we are hiring a team to recruit new scouts. Looks like sacking the scouts was a mistake. Who would have guessed it.


Hi Gaz,

Maybe Hodd can throw some light on this.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529307  Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 19175

Zed wrote:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2021/5/10/22429253/porto-now-favorite-to-host-champions-league-final-as-uefa-talks-falter-for-wembley-report

Porto of course. And 20K fans, UEFA cronies, dignitaries, their entourage, other hangers-on....naturally. :icon_mrgreen:


Hi Zed,

I said when the Superleague was disbanded that Uefa, Sky, BT etc were not celebrating football being saved by the people, they were celebrating the fact that the gravy train was not leaving their station.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529308  Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 9342
Location: Singapore

TOP GUN wrote:
Pretty sure Leno will enjoy cracking on with his career without missing Arsenal fans blaming him every time a goal goes in. Wouldn’t shock me if he wanted out sharpish


How about you convince him to stay :laughing7:

_________________
Onwards and Upwards!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529309  Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:43 am 
Online

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18700

https://www.football365.com/news/arsena ... ns-emerson
If we get £35m for Bellerin I will be amazed and will heartily congratulate whoever brokers that deal. He seems a certainty to leave though. If we can push towards £25m then we should snap anyone's hand off for that.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529310  Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:52 am
Posts: 3789

socrates wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Arseblog are reporting we are hiring a team to recruit new scouts. Looks like sacking the scouts was a mistake. Who would have guessed it.


Hi Gaz,

Maybe Hodd can throw some light on this.

It’s not like for like tbf
things are a bit odd across the club at present, so probably best if I don’t comment

_________________
Helping find future Arsenal legends


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529311  Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 2793

socrates wrote:
Zed wrote:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2021/5/10/22429253/porto-now-favorite-to-host-champions-league-final-as-uefa-talks-falter-for-wembley-report

Porto of course. And 20K fans, UEFA cronies, dignitaries, their entourage, other hangers-on....naturally. :icon_mrgreen:


Hi Zed,

I said when the Superleague was disbanded that Uefa, Sky, BT etc were not celebrating football being saved by the people, they were celebrating the fact that the gravy train was not leaving their station.

Hi Soc,
Oh no of course not. ESL really isn't dead at all.

_________________
Be careful who you call your friends. I'd rather have four quarters than one hundred pennies.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529312  Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:39 pm 
Online

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18700

Man City are champions. It is their 7th title in their history.

City and Chelsea now have as many league titles combined as Arsenal with 13. 10 of those 13 have been won with the artificial finances of their rich owners.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529313  Posted: Wed May 12, 2021 1:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 9342
Location: Singapore

https://tbrfootball.com/hes-just-been-a ... last-year/

Nice endorsement for Martinez

_________________
Onwards and Upwards!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529314  Posted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 30745

The sad thing is that pointing out the money of Chelsea and City labels you a 'sore loser' by almost all. It's in the media's and everyone else's best interest financially, etc, to ignore the money and pretend it has no effect at all.

We know the issue, we now have to stop complaining and come up with a viable plan to counter it.

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will Be" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529315  Posted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 9170

Rich wrote:
Man City are champions. It is their 7th title in their history.

City and Chelsea now have as many league titles combined as Arsenal with 13. 10 of those 13 have been won with the artificial finances of their rich owners.

As I’ve pointed out, Kroenke’s money is comparable to Abramovich’s and the Kroenke family’s wealth ($18.9b) is comparable to Sheikh Mansour’s ($20b). I wonder if that’s what AG’s post regarding the harping on about City and Chelsea’s success under their owners making people look ‘sore losers’ was about?

Look, I accept the logic of Hazuki’s post a while back saying Ann Kroenke’s personal wealth (from memory $8.9b) shouldn’t be considered at all when discussing this issue. But on a relative pauper’s level, me and my wife both have a range of personal and joint accounts. If I wanted to invest in a few cases of extraordinarily expensive fine wine and could only do so if she gave me something from one of her personal accounts, if I gave her solid reasons why it was such a good investment, I’m sure she would. I suspect Stan and Ann Kroenke also have a range of joint and personal accounts, so if he asked her for a bit from one of her personal accounts for Arsenal’s transfer budget, I imagine she might be willing. Although I do accept Stan has enough personal money not to need to ask her for it.

The point is more that just because Roman Abramovich and Sheikh Mansour decide to spend on the clubs they own and Stan Kroenke doesn’t, how much can we moan about how unfair it all is?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529316  Posted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:18 am 
Online

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18700

We’ve got the 3rd best defence in the league so far this season.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529317  Posted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:33 am 
Online

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18700

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
The point is more that just because Roman Abramovich and Sheikh Mansour decide to spend on the clubs they own and Stan Kroenke doesn’t, how much can we moan about how unfair it all is?

You could say the same about all but 3 of the premier league clubs then. As all but 3 have billionaire owners. Fulham and villa’s owners have comparable wealth to Kronke.
There is a big difference between Arsenal and Chelsea/City. Arsenal established themselves as a top club without the extreme cash injections of a rich owner. City and Chelsea are only where they are because of their owner. In Chelsea’s case it was a ‘reward’ for actually being incredibly badly run they were bordering administration.
Of course all these other billionaires could invest un-earnt riches in their team and if they all did to the same level as City then it probably wouldn’t take long for City to drop back to being a midtable club.
So I think irrespective of what other owners can put in, and there are rules to stop it happening, it is still unfair that these two clubs have such a massive leg up in the competition.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529318  Posted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 30745

Not really looking forward to the game. I would take a draw right now if offered to me. Would be great to beat them for old times sake but unlikely. If anything we'd do well to keep them under 3 goals.

I stated some weeks back if we can beat Tottenham (and Mourinho) I'd be happy for the duration of the season. For the most part I'm not but beating them, especially before Mourinho left the country will be a nice lasting memory.

Speaking of him, he's now firmly in the 2nd tier of football management. Roma is a decent club but oh how far the mighty have fallen. I have no sympathy for him. He's a brat when all is said and done, with moments of humanity once in a while.

If the squad can go 'once more into the breach', and beat Chelsea, I'd 'loov it, just loov it' if we beat them.

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will Be" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529319  Posted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 9170

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

You could say the same about all but 3 of the premier league clubs then. As all but 3 have billionaire owners. Fulham and villa’s owners have comparable wealth to Kronke.
There is a big difference between Arsenal and Chelsea/City. Arsenal established themselves as a top club without the extreme cash injections of a rich owner. City and Chelsea are only where they are because of their owner. In Chelsea’s case it was a ‘reward’ for actually being incredibly badly run they were bordering administration.
Of course all these other billionaires could invest un-earnt riches in their team and if they all did to the same level as City then it probably wouldn’t take long for City to drop back to being a midtable club.
So I think irrespective of what other owners can put in, and there are rules to stop it happening, it is still unfair that these two clubs have such a massive leg up in the competition.

Huddersfield Town won three titles under Chapman before Arsenal had a trophy to their name. Then Arsenal poached him and look at what happened to both clubs, particularly Arsenal. I wonder if part of the reason for Chapman joining Arsenal was the money we offered? I’ve little or no doubt there will be countless other examples similar in principle before owners were billionaires. Bolton Wonderers were once a far bigger club than they are now.

Sorry Rich. I know how strongly you feel about the success of City and Chelsea. But if the main reason behind it is Sheikh Mansour and Roman Abramovich spending their money on their clubs while Kroenke chooses to spend his comparable wealth differently (not on Arsenal), I think to borrow that term again, you’re beginning to sound a ‘sore loser’. If not slightly hypocritical?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #529320  Posted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 9342
Location: Singapore

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... kel-Arteta

Fantastic if this report is true and accurate, especially regards Willian

_________________
Onwards and Upwards!


 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     [ 530861 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13230, 13231, 13232, 13233, 13234, 13235, 13236 ... 13272  Next

All times are UTC

Gooners Online - Click to see what Everyones Doing

Colour Key:  Visited Profile    Members Profile      Admin

Get Latest Post

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, long time gooner, Rich and 5 guests


Search for:

Go to Top

Powered by php BB © 1993 - 2018