Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, Gaz from Oz, warrior and 144 guests

Post #541961  Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:21 pm 

Man U say Greenwood will not return to training or play matches until further notice

Post #541962  Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:22 pm 

Darren wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
The answer to all our problems. Jack Wilshere. As centre forward no doubt.

Wilshere, in theory, can sign out of the window as he’s not under contract so the rules don’t apply. He can sign in a month if we so wish.

Hi Darren. Yes I had read that previously. It’s just that I was hoping for something more substantial in the way of squad rebuild. So far it’s a keeper from the MLS.

Post #541963  Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:46 pm 

What I don’t get about the Wilshere situation is that he can probably get a job if he wants one.

He was turned down by Bournemouth and a serie B team so obviously Arsenal won’t go for him but surely if he can drop down the league a bit he’ll eventually get a contract even if it’s at Barnet. Surely orient or someone would offer him a contract. His agent needs to put a hand round his shoulder and say look mate you need to lower your expectations. Just seems weird, Arteta said we won’t be signing him but still there’s fans suggesting it will happen. No chance

Post #541964  Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:06 pm 

Rich wrote:
Man U say Greenwood will not return to training or play matches until further notice

It’s ironic. Before this story broke I wouldn’t have minded Arsenal getting Greenwood. But I didn’t think Manchester United would sell him, especially to a rival for a top four place. Now Manchester United probably will release him, I don’t suppose Arsenal would go near him with a barge pole.

Post #541965  Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:17 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

It’s ironic. Before this story broke I wouldn’t have minded Arsenal getting Greenwood. But I didn’t think Manchester United would sell him, especially to a rival for a top four place. Now Manchester United probably will release him, I don’t suppose Arsenal would go near him with a barge pole.

If the allegations are true, and hearing that audio it seems highly likely, his career is over. Good chance he could get a prison sentence.

Post #541966  Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:32 pm 

dec wrote:
Bernard wrote:

If the allegations are true, and hearing that audio it seems highly likely, his career is over. Good chance he could get a prison sentence.

I dunno. Read her fathers statement he made. Doesn’t sound like they want to take it much further. A complete tosser.

I’d be reaching for the baseball bat.

Post #541967  Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:37 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:

I dunno. Read her fathers statement he made. Doesn’t sound like they want to take it much further. A complete tosser.

Ive never quite understood what happens if the victim doesn’t want to press charges. How do the police decide to charge anyway? Of course in this case if the police feel they have a case then Greenwood should be charged, but if you need the victims testimony and they don’t want to give it how does it work?
You see scuffles end up with various parties not wanting to press charges and nothing happens. I’m certainly not comparing the two or trivialising the accusations just generally interested in how that part of policing and CPS works?

Post #541968  Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:42 pm 

I read a short piece by a fan that said what if the club’s target was 6th, and they won’t go outside the plan to rush to get top 4 of it isn’t part of the long term plan. The club have recently admitted that we were wrong to look for quick and expensive solutions to get back in the top 4.

I get the point. To me this may be the best opportunity we have. Next season we could have europa competition and other teams may have got out of their funk, or strengthened or got used to their new manager (Conte) or hired a new manager (Man U)

Post #541969  Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:46 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Ive never quite understood what happens if the victim doesn’t want to press charges. How do the police decide to charge anyway? Of course in this case if the police feel they have a case then Greenwood should be charged, but if you need the victims testimony and they don’t want to give it how does it work?
You see scuffles end up with various parties not wanting to press charges and nothing happens. I’m certainly not comparing the two or trivialising the accusations just generally interested in how that part of policing and CPS works?

I’m not a legal expert but I believe it’s down to the CPS if they want to proceed with the charges even if the victim doesn’t want to proceed. If it’s obvious a crime has taken place in some circumstances they may proceed.

If you recall the Caroline flack case her partner dropped the charges and was asking the police and CPS to back down but they wouldn’t as there was sufficient evidence a crime had occurred.

Post #541970  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:06 am 

Rich wrote:
I read a short piece by a fan that said what if the club’s target was 6th, and they won’t go outside the plan to rush to get top 4 of it isn’t part of the long term plan. The club have recently admitted that we were wrong to look for quick and expensive solutions to get back in the top 4.

I get the point. To me this may be the best opportunity we have. Next season we could have europa competition and other teams may have got out of their funk, or strengthened or got used to their new manager (Conte) or hired a new manager (Man U)

Newcastle has the type of owners that will want to get to the top as soon as they can and will spend with that mindset. It may not be next season but within the next few seasons all the top 6 sides will have to contend with them and we should be accounting for that.

Post #541971  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:24 am 

Guimares unveiling video on social media (not sure if it is an official Newcastle one or one put together by the players team) starts with a collage of newspaper headlines linking the player to Arsenal, top target, desperate for him etc. It’s a strange take to make on a new signing video. I think all the players signing for them will have relegation release clauses, you’d be stupid not to

Post #541972  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:34 am 

Rich wrote:

Hi Rich,

Totally agree.

We are in touching distance of the top four with weaker squads than United or Spurs. We have no in-form, non-alienated PL goalscorer in the squad, and Aubameyang looks to be on his way out. Our midfield is threadbare and it seems we will be relying on Tomiyasu or White to fill in at CB and RB respectively if required.

We are a few injuries or some covid cases away from struggling to field a team capable of mounting any sort of 4th spot challenge.

Next year Newcastle may be in the mix so who knows if this will be a great opportunity lost if things do go pear-shaped.

It is mad that we haven't at the very least brought in a striker on loan.

We have let several fringe players go but it seems we will bring no one in. Its a gamble that makes little sense to me.

Post #541973  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:36 am 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I thought the very same, Rich.

Post #541974  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:57 am 

Just read that chambers had a 1 year extension clause in his contract but the club chose not to activate it in preference to a sale.They are really clearing the decks aren’t they. I would have kept him

Post #541975  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:11 am 

If you think of “press charges” as a non technical term just meaning cooperating, it makes more sense. Like TG said “The Crown” -CPS - prosecute what they have evidence for. If all parties won’t cooperate like often happens a few days after the fact in DV cases the evidence is really sparse and the chances of conviction so small the CPS don’t proceed.

“Press charges” as I understand the term used, thanks American TV, doesn’t exist formally in any country, the decision to prosecute is always with the state and not the individual.

Post #541976  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:21 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Just read that chambers had a 1 year extension clause in his contract but the club chose not to activate it in preference to a sale.They are really clearing the decks aren’t they. I would have kept him

I read that too, TG, it seems mad. They could have activated the clause and maybe got £8-10m for hin in the summer?

Post #541977  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:31 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Believe they are accumulating funds and, at same time, clear fringe players. Looks like a good one or two coming in on deadline day. Here's hoping.

Post #541978  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:34 am 

Seems like we've spent so long on the Vlahovic wild goose chase we are left with two options; activate the Isak £75m release clause or nothing, neither of which are particularly attractive. Pay massively over the odds for a work-in-progress or leave yourself significantly short of striking options in a £50m 4th spot chase.

That's if Isak is even interested. Those who miss out on Haaland in the summer might look in his direction.

As usual, its a mess of our own making.

Post #541979  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:08 am 

socrates wrote:
We have let several fringe players go but it seems we will bring no one in. Its a gamble that makes little sense to me.

I think they're looking ahead to the future beyond this season - my guess would be we were eyeing a deal or two in January that we couldn't get done, but most of the moves we made were aimed at building funds for the summer. We're not getting much in terms of transfer fees unfortunately, but we've continued shedding a lot of wage, opening up space for new signings.

It's a gamble for the rest of the season though. If my math is correct we have 17 games in 15 weeks, which is doable with the squad we have unless we get a bunch of injuries. None of our rivals for 4th is in a perfect place with their squad building, but we're really playing the margins.

Post #541980  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:13 am 

socrates wrote:
Seems like we've spent so long on the Vlahovic wild goose chase we are left with two options; activate the Isak £75m release clause or nothing, neither of which are particularly attractive. Pay massively over the odds for a work-in-progress or leave yourself significantly short of striking options in a £50m 4th spot chase.

That's if Isak is even interested. Those who miss out on Haaland in the summer might look in his direction.

As usual, its a mess of our own making.

Although, if we hadn't chased Vlahovic would we be in any different position in terms of potential striker signings? The prices wouldn't be any different, the abilities and availability wouldn't be any different - yes we'd have a bit more time but if clubs dont want to sell mid-year it is tough. Everton won't let DCL go considering their precarious position. Real Sociadad are close to Champions League, Lille won't entertain losing David until the summer. The one who was available was Vlahovic because he only had 18 months left on his deal.

Post #541981  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:15 am 

Eriksen has signed a 6 month deal with Brentford. They still have to come to the Emirates, ex-spurs players get the usual friendly reception but I would quite like the Arsenal fans to give him a good reception, show some class and respect for a guy who almost lost his life on a football pitch 6 or so months ago

Post #541982  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:16 am 

Rich wrote:
Eriksen has signed a 6 month deal with Brentford. They still have to come to the Emirates, ex-spurs players get the usual friendly reception but I would quite like the Arsenal fans to give him a good reception, show some class and respect for a guy who almost lost his life on a football pitch 6 or so months ago

7 years at spurs. He should get booed and rightly so.

Post #541983  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:20 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hi Rich,

Totally agree.

We are in touching distance of the top four with weaker squads than United or Spurs. We have no in-form, non-alienated PL goalscorer in the squad, and Aubameyang looks to be on his way out. Our midfield is threadbare and it seems we will be relying on Tomiyasu or White to fill in at CB and RB respectively if required.

We are a few injuries or some covid cases away from struggling to field a team capable of mounting any sort of 4th spot challenge.

Next year Newcastle may be in the mix so who knows if this will be a great opportunity lost if things do go pear-shaped.

It is mad that we haven't at the very least brought in a striker on loan.

I support the club in terms of not panic buying or settling for just anyone at great cost - afterall this is how we got in the mess we've been in. But, some well thought through loan options, even for small fees and covering big(ish) wages all represents quite low risk and a timely boost for Top 4. Having said that it isn't obvious who the striker loan options were and we did try hard for Arthur but Juve pushed for an unrealistic deal for 18 months and not a great financial deal for us. Wijnaldum would have been the one I'd have pushed for in midfield

Post #541984  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:22 am 

Juve got rid of Bentacur for £19m and signed Zakaria for £5m. That is good business

Post #541985  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:23 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I read that too, TG, it seems mad. They could have activated the clause and maybe got £8-10m for hin in the summer?

I think the policy is “ship out with extreme prejudice and let’s start again”

Anyone who divides opinion seems to be open for a sale. If they got a 2 million fee and saved 1.5 million in wages they considered it adequate rather than risking someone not offering anything in the summer.

Feels like they are clearing the deck for an oncoming player

Post #541986  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:46 am 

Hearing a bit more about this right back Spence who played against us for Forest. Even if we did sign him he wouldn't be eligible to play for us this season due to rules about the amount of different clubs you can play for in a season. £10m is the rumoured fee.

A young back up home-grown right back certainly makes sense for squad planning

Post #541987  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:51 am 

The savings we've made on the annual wage bill are extraordinary in the past 3 years. 5 or so years ago our wage bill was right up there with Liverpool's and not that far behind Chelsea and Man U and City.

Without Champions League we've needed to cut the bill, and perhaps that has allowed the transfer spend we've had, but the latest figures I've seen in the Prem for yearly wage bill are:

City £401m
Liverpool £371m
Man U £324m
Chelsea £323m
Arsenal £256m
Spurs £207m

Post #541988  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:08 am 

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... adline-Day
This links us to Raul De Tomas if we can move on Aubameyang.

27 years old, probably a more reliable goal-scorer than anything we have, has a market value under £20m. Could be a low cost gamble. Feels a bit Lucas Perez but that's just based on very little as I haven't seen the guy play

Post #541989  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:09 am 

Burnley sign Wout Weghorst, 29 years old, 6ft 6" striker. How very Burnley

Post #541990  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:20 am 

Rich wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1558443/Arsenal-transfer-news-Raul-de-Tomas-Pierre-Emerick-Aubameyang-Barcelona-Deadline-Day

27 years old, probably a more reliable goal-scorer than anything we have, has a market value under £20m. Could be a low cost gamble. Feels a bit Lucas Perez but that's just based on very little as I haven't seen the guy play

Also some more rumours about Isak. I get that it's a lot of money for a young player, but I don't think we should be scared off because Pépé hasn't worked out the way we hoped. We're not going to compete for the best players who are already the finished article, so we need to get them in before they're already established top class, and that means paying over the odds sometimes.

Post #541991  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:26 am 

Rich wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1558443/Arsenal-transfer-news-Raul-de-Tomas-Pierre-Emerick-Aubameyang-Barcelona-Deadline-Day

The article says he would cost 60m though.

Better off going for Isak

We’re totally screwed. :14laughter:

Post #541992  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:43 am 

Aubameyang has been sighted in Barcelona ahead of his medical. Even though it looks unlikely we'll secure a replacement today, let's not forget we were done on deadline day in the summer of 2020 before activating Partey's release clause and getting the deal done in a matter of hours.

Post #541993  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:01 pm 

We're just over half way through the season and if we can double the goals from midfield we're looking at very good returns. Emile Smith Rowe, Saka, Martinelli, Ødegaard have 22 goals between them so far. Get that to 40+ and that is a strong return, add in 5 or so goals from defenders and then you have the glaring omission which is the 25-30 collective goals from your strikers - we're on course for 14 if Nketiah can match Aubameyang's 4 goals and Lacazette doubles his tally.

So just in numbers of goals to get top 4 we feel about 15 short, which means we end up fighting an awful lot of very marginal games which can swing one way or the other on one moment of skill or one mistake. In recent weeks we've seen how we haven't been able to win those marginal games (Burnley, City, Everton) and Spurs and man U have been winning them.

Post #541994  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:16 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Aubameyang has been sighted in Barcelona ahead of his medical. Even though it looks unlikely we'll secure a replacement today, let's not forget we were done on deadline day in the summer of 2020 before activating Partey's release clause and getting the deal done in a matter of hours.

I can still recall the really late signing of Arshavin with live video of him walking around outside his hotel as the club desperately tried to get the paperwork sorted.

Post #541995  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:24 pm 

Reading reports that Arsenal are prepared to let Pépé go loan loan to an unaamed Spanish club before the window shuts........last one out turn off the lights. This is crazy

Post #541996  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:26 pm 

We have apparently bid £58m for Isak but Sociedad understandably want his minimum fee release clause paid which is £75m

Post #541997  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:30 pm 

The biggest problem I have with our inactivity and shedding half the squad is it leaves no room for excuses if you fail in your target. It reminds me of when Wenger used to make very few signings and profess to have enough quality to achieve what we wanted - and then when we fail you look back and say 'but you had the chance to strengthen and you refused'. If you strengthen and it doesn't work then at least you can say you did everything you could.

Post #541998  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:36 pm 

Rich wrote:
Reading reports that Arsenal are prepared to let Pépé go loan loan to an unaamed Spanish club before the window shuts........last one out turn off the lights. This is crazy

That is crazy.
He has never been given a really proper sustained run in the team.
I know he can be frustrating but feel like there is a real player in there.
Difficult i know with the form of Saka and Martinelli recently but he could have been afforded more game time.
He is one of the few players who can score goals.
What on earth is going on???

Post #541999  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:40 pm 

I watch the moves Liverpool make with interest because they are our best barometer for success ie: a big club without infinite resources who have had the ultimate success by smart transfers in/out and a very good coach/players.

One thing I think we always failed to do at our best was strengthen from a position of strength or properly plan for the next team, as sides gradually break up. Liverpool had 3 elite forwards all getting towards 30 at the same time, all will want big contracts next up and all were vitally important without much back up. Liverpool have signed Jota and now Dias to remedy this, they also have Harvey Elliot coming through who I think will make the England squad in the next 2 years.

Having built such a strong squad they can afford to go after elite targets (Konate is another), and as long as they keep on top of this there are no wholesale squad turnovers to do, and because of this they can make a few low risk transfers such as this Fabio Carvalho from Fulham for £5m.

Post #542000  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:54 pm 

They are loaning out Pépé and aubameyang without bringing anyone in? Would be utter madness. Very hard to believe

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13547, 13548, 13549, 13550, 13551, 13552, 13553 ... 14269  Next