Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 129 guests

Post #555681  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:47 pm 

Neymar wanted the 5th penalty for the glory but Brazil didn’t even get that far. Brazil let Marquinhos take a decisive do or die penalty before Neymar and he’s never taken one in his life.

70% of shootouts never get to the 5th taker. The 4th penalty is the decisive penalty in 55% of shootouts.

If casual fans know this how do professional teams not know this and implement their strategy accordingly

Post #555682  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:43 pm 

Enzo Fernandez looks like a very good player

Post #555683  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:56 pm 

I’m old enough to know better but Argentina really wind me the f..up ….f ing tossers…always moaning at the ref….rolling around dramatically after not being touched….and Martinez ….I never minded him with us but he is a real p..k
All around scummy bunch . Alf Ramsey had it right.
Come on Croatia

Post #555684  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:56 pm 

Emi Martinez makes the difference for Argentina in the shootout.

Post #555685  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:01 pm 

Rich wrote:
Neymar wanted the 5th penalty for the glory but Brazil didn’t even get that far. Brazil let Marquinhos take a decisive do or die penalty before Neymar and he’s never taken one in his life.

70% of shootouts never get to the 5th taker. The 4th penalty is the decisive penalty in 55% of shootouts.

If casual fans know this how do professional teams not know this and implement their strategy accordingly

Brilliant player, but he really gets up my nose.
The way things are playing out, a Morocco Croatia final seems nailed on :laughing7: :laughing7:

Post #555686  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:09 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
I’m old enough to know better but Argentina really wind me the f..up ….f ing tossers…always moaning at the ref….rolling around dramatically after not being touched….and Martinez ….I never minded him with us but he is a real p..k
Come on Croatia

Started several brawls, snide sh/tz to a man. Also what is that floppy hand thing the fans do??? Looks so crap.

Post #555687  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:37 am 

Rich wrote:

70%, interesting.

So Rich, Arsenal are in a penalty shoot out. Who are you choosing and which PK are they taking?

As an aside, I think it was Edu, not 100 percent sure but someone gave up their spot for RvP to take it because they weren't confident. Edu is who I think it was and he was leaving that season. I recall before the season's end he was given a PK as a sort of going away gift I presume and it barely made it under the keeper. and that's one of the main reasons we won the cup in 2005 I think. He'd have fluffed it. RvP took a fantastic PK, he always does. I was surprised how well Ashley took his PK. Keane took a cool one, almost arrogantly took...lol. RVN was always going left. Freddie's penalty was very savable.

I remember being told at the pub in LA by a neutral that we were thoroughly outplayed and didn't deserve it and I laughed and said 'Yeah, that's why I feel so f*cking good'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDAGuxk4N2s&t=365s

Post #555688  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:49 am 

Andy Green wrote:
Come on Croatia

I completely get it Andy. Their fans and players seem to take things to a whole higher level of drama. That being said, the Argies I've met personally have been brilliant (some of the hottest women as well). There was an Argentina restaurant in LA I stopped by once in a while to get empandas. My spanish is doable but I recall their spanish was pretty much inconceivable to me.

Anyway, individually, nice. They taught me their song as well, very simple "vamos, vamos, Argentina"
The guy there said, football is all we have and the one thing people can say nice about us.
To be fair, when they are in the news for anything else its usually not good.

Post #555689  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:15 am 

The players didn’t make it easy for him but the ref lost control of that match last night. 17 yellow cards!

There was one point an Argentine player committed a clear yellow card foul and then booted the ball hard at the Dutch subs bench. Should have had 2 yellows in that one moment. After he’d booted the ball it started a brawl with the subs pouring on to the pitch and Van Dijk can steaming in and kind of chest bumped the Argentina player to the floor forceablu and Van Dijk didn’t get a yellow.

No chance that refs gets another game

Post #555690  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:21 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

70%, interesting.

So Rich, Arsenal are in a penalty shoot out. Who are you choosing and which PK are they taking?

Arsenal penalty takers would be Saka, Martinelli, Ødegaard, Zinchenko and Jesus(although his record isn’t great) I’m of the mind that attacking players have to put their hand up to take them ahead of defenders. But penalties throw up odd takers. I can imagine someone like Cédric being good and wanting to take one. Maitland-Niles has taken a lot of very cool penalties. Put your two best takers 1st and 4th

Post #555691  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:14 am 

Some players go the same way all the time. RVN to keepers upper right corner. Almost all the time. I was surprised Lehmann didn't know or wasn't told. I have to assume (or am I assuming too much?) that keepers don't study the PK takers for the opposition and where they may go if a PK is given.

Obviously, I'm not GK or know much about it. I did play hockey and was a GK when I was in Philly for a season and I played street hockey in my friends neighborhood a lot. I was in a youth league and I knew where some of the best players were going to go how their move on breakaways. We were all friends and played all the tie.

That said, wouldn't a way to throw off players in a shoot out is to go to one side the first 2 or 3 times? Make the 4th and 5th think that's where you will go? And if that's their side they may switch up?

Or play slightly off center. Just enough to suggest you are giving a wider area to one side?

Or is that a bit too much overthinking?

Post #555692  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:08 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Some players go the same way all the time. RVN to keepers upper right corner. Almost all the time. I was surprised Lehmann didn't know or wasn't told. I have to assume (or am I assuming too much?) that keepers don't study the PK takers for the opposition and where they may go if a PK is given.

Obviously, I'm not GK or know much about it. I did play hockey and was a GK when I was in Philly for a season and I played street hockey in my friends neighborhood a lot. I was in a youth league and I knew where some of the best players were going to go how their move on breakaways. We were all friends and played all the tie.

That said, wouldn't a way to throw off players in a shoot out is to go to one side the first 2 or 3 times? Make the 4th and 5th think that's where you will go? And if that's their side they may switch up?

Or play slightly off center. Just enough to suggest you are giving a wider area to one side?

Or is that a bit too much overthinking?

'Overthinking' is not the word that immediately comes to mind.

Post #555693  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:34 pm 

Saka has been excellent for England. Probably been fouled at least another 3-4 times than he’s been given, and he’s won plenty of free kicks and the penalty. Turns out Saka is reffed in internationals the same as he is in the prem

Post #555694  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:45 pm 

If England loses, will Kane get the same abuse as Saka and Rashford? Rhetorical question obviously.

Post #555695  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:50 pm 

Surprised the ref brushed off the possibility of a penalty so quickly. It looked anywhere from probably to a certain penalty live.

Post #555696  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:00 pm 

In the moment, I didn't think about Kane and Lloris being teammates. It's going to be awkward in training the first week back.

Post #555697  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:49 pm 

Bad luck for England. I thought they were the better side. Saka was arguably man of the match.

Post #555698  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:13 pm 

I blame brexit

Post #555699  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:33 pm 

No doubt for me that Saka was englands player of the tournament.

French media saying they were delighting when he got subbed off.

Weirdly I see so many rival fans dispute his ability. The kid just isn’t phased, he dominates his full back in 9/10 games at every level. Englands biggest threat time and time again. There is a reason Southgate is picking him every game.

Phenomenal tournament from him and such a comeback from missing the pen in the euros

Post #555700  Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:17 am 

DHD wrote:
I blame brexit

Wow, you really couldn’t wait to provide a negative spin could you, actually I feel quite sorry for you. Fantastic effort, not quite enough but that’s the way it goes. English and proud.

Post #555701  Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:21 am 

Rich wrote:

Weirdly I see so many rival fans dispute his ability. The kid just isn’t phased, he dominates his full back in 9/10 games at every level. Englands biggest threat time and time again. There is a reason Southgate is picking him every game.

Phenomenal tournament from him and such a comeback from missing the pen in the euros

I agree totally. Best England player and how some commentators and fans think he is not good enough is beyond me. If he wants to ditch his citizenship and come and play for Australia I have no problems.

Post #555702  Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:27 am 

Terry Henry wrote:
DHD wrote:
I blame brexit

Wow, you really couldn’t wait to provide a negative spin could you, actually I feel quite sorry for you. Fantastic effort, not quite enough but that’s the way it goes. English and proud.

A harmless joke? English plus proud didn't used to equal no sense of humour?

From a purely footballing point of view, England needed to be in the final. Best team in the tournament. England v Brazil would have been brilliant.

France are effective but for me a bit unexciting and not at all likeable. The amping up of superstar plus supporting cast narrative by the commentators is getting very tedious. Morrocco vs Croatia would be better the Messi +10 vs Mbappe +10.

Post #555703  Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:41 am 

Rich wrote:

One has to give credit to the Arsenal setup. Martinelli and Saka are both exemplary modern wingers. No flash, brilliant decision making, tracking back, etc..

Post #555704  Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:19 am 

Dissing the UK in the current situation we are in is not acceptable imo. Have some pride in what we do to help the rest of the world and don't forget we are all BRITISH and proud to be so.

Why has noone said that we were robbed by VAR. Categorically clear pens not given and the number of fouls not given against a very dirty France are there for all to see.

I demand a replay :36angers: :sign19:

Post #555705  Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:53 am 

Rich wrote:

Yes why he went off from an in game balance point of view was bonkers. Unless he took a knock I didn’t see? He was down when Giroud went down. You knew Sterling was going have no impact which is what happened. There was no space in behind as France, like always, dropped deep and played really conservatively as some as they were ahead. Saka is exactly who you want, Foden was also having a good game and if anything it was Grealish rather than Rashford who suited the game state at 70 minutes. But he got 4 minutes to make his impact. I hesitate to criticise Southgate too much, as if something works you look a genius and they’re all decent players, but those where my immediate thoughts. Mbappe did nothing really, but Griezman ran the show, what a performance, I hated it.

Post #555706  Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:09 am 

Ash wrote:
Rich wrote:

Yes why he went off from an in game balance point of view was bonkers. Unless he took a knock I didn’t see? He was down when Giroud went down. You knew Sterling was going have no impact which is what happened. There was no space in behind as France, like always, dropped deep and played really conservatively as some as they were ahead. Saka is exactly who you want, Foden was also having a good game and if anything it was Grealish rather than Rashford who suited the game state at 70 minutes. But he got 4 minutes to make his impact. I hesitate to criticise Southgate too much, as if something works you look a genius and they’re all decent players, but those where my immediate thoughts. Mbappe did nothing really, but Griezman ran the show, what a performance, I hated it.

Not to mention that conceding in the 78th minute is a real **&t&

I was none to pleased at mount and Sterling coming on, but Mount did win that penalty.

I would have brought on Grealish for Henderson straight after the goal, and kept Saka and Foden on.

Post #555707  Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:41 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Dissing the UK in the current situation we are in is not acceptable imo. Have some pride in what we do to help the rest of the world and don't forget we are all BRITISH and proud to be so.

Why has noone said that we were robbed by VAR. Categorically clear pens not given and the number of fouls not given against a very dirty France are there for all to see.

Oh dear, where to start.

1. Who’s dissing the UK? You mean like what your favourite paper The S*n did with that billboard in Paris?
2. Conflating BRITISH with English.
3. I’m not very proud of what Britain has become, in no small part due to Brexit.
4. Loads have complained about VAR.
5. Two pens were awarded to England. The fact they couldn’t score a normal goal, and that Kane bottled it, is no fault of VAR.
6. Yes, demand a replay. And I demand another EU referendum.

This is the Brexit tweet in a nutshell. Arrogant small minded exceptionalism, combined with utter lack of self awareness, tact and diplomacy. That’s why the country is in a mess Chris; because of people who vote the way you do. No-one else’s fault.

Post #555708  Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:54 am 

This England side in 2 years and 4 years time will have Saka, Foden Bellingham and Rice all in their early to mid 20s. That’s another and better #goldengeneration for me. The loss is going to be Kane being 31 and 33. Replacing what he does for England is going to be difficult and other players are going to need to break through, but that’s a great midfield core to build upon. Expect England to be bothering the quarters and semis for the next 4 year cycle. On balance maybe keep Southgate til the next euros? Toss of a coin really. He’s pretty experienced at international level at this point.

Post #555709  Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:37 pm 

Arsenal related WC post

So, Saliba back latest from WC group. Seeing as next game is two weeks away does that mean Saka and Ramsdale and Martinelli play? Even if it’s tight you probably role the dice on them, and seeing as Saliba has had like 20mins game time chuck him in too if we need to. Jesus is just a catastophic loss which we’d feel better about if Eddie had shown anything at all in his sub appearances to this point. But he strikes me as a greedy striker, in a good way, and will absolutely step it up with the prospect of 10 or so starts coming up.

And if he adds goals but we lose out on Jesus’ overall link up play is that closer to evens output wise?

The Mudryk noise seems to have gone quiet, fascinated who we bring in.

Post #555710  Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:21 pm 

DHD wrote:
I blame brexit

LOL...had to chuckle at that one.

Post #555711  Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:32 pm 

I liked Giroud for us when most fans and forumites on there didn't. I didn't want to see him go and I maintain to this day his initial crime was not being RvP who he replaced as a bargain buy till we got someone of RvP's class.

Even when relegated to the bench he came off the bench and changed games. When he moved to Chelsea, the fans couldn't believe their luck. Chelsea fans didn't understand why we didn't rate him as much as he deserved. He did well after us where ever he went. Everyone saw his full worth except a lot of our fans and the club.

He was blamed for being too slow and that was never his forte`. Bergkamp was never going to challenge Usain Bolt's 100m record either. Giroud did something for us that we haven't had in years: someone who could be in the 6 yard box, be comfortable there and produce goals from there both on the ground and in the air.

Post #555712  Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:41 pm 

Rich wrote:
The players didn’t make it easy for him but the ref lost control of that match last night. 17 yellow cards!

There was one point an Argentine player committed a clear yellow card foul and then booted the ball hard at the Dutch subs bench. Should have had 2 yellows in that one moment. After he’d booted the ball it started a brawl with the subs pouring on to the pitch and Van Dijk can steaming in and kind of chest bumped the Argentina player to the floor forceablu and Van Dijk didn’t get a yellow.

No chance that refs gets another game

Funnily enough that melee started by the punt into the Holland subs bench put on a big chunk of the 10 mins extra time at the end of which Holland scored.

Post #555713  Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:43 pm 

Attachment:

In other news this is the friendly line up vs Lyon. It’s clear where additional backup quality is needed for me.

Post #555714  Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:37 pm 

john1 wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Oh dear, where to start.

1. Who’s dissing the UK? You mean like what your favourite paper The S*n did with that billboard in Paris?
2. Conflating BRITISH with English.
3. I’m not very proud of what Britain has become, in no small part due to Brexit.
4. Loads have complained about VAR.
5. Two pens were awarded to England. The fact they couldn’t score a normal goal, and that Kane bottled it, is no fault of VAR.
6. Yes, demand a replay. And I demand another EU referendum.

This is the Brexit tweet in a nutshell. Arrogant small minded exceptionalism, combined with utter lack of self awareness, tact and diplomacy. That’s why the country is in a mess Chris; because of people who vote the way you do. No-one else’s fault.

Another woke wankfest from a Labour leftie. What do you call a woman with a penis? Why are Labour opposing the opening of a Mine when we imort the type of coal it would produce from China, Russia and the US amongst others. Why do you disagree with Andy Street that the nurses pay claim is ridiculous and that the NHS needs reforming?Why do you oppose Brexit when the Euro is so low, the food cost of living is so much higher in the EU and the NI problem with Trade is EU inflicted? Why do you disagree with Tony Benn who was against us joining the Common Market let alon the EU?

Post #555715  Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:53 pm 

[/quote]
Another woke wankfest from a Labour leftie. What do you call a woman with a penis? Why are Labour opposing the opening of a Mine when we imort the type of coal it would produce from China, Russia and the US amongst others. Why do you disagree with Andy Street that the nurses pay claim is ridiculous and that the NHS needs reforming?Why do you oppose Brexit when the Euro is so low, the food cost of living is so much higher in the EU and the NI problem with Trade is EU inflicted? Why do you disagree with Tony Benn who was against us joining the Common Market let alon the EU?[/quote]

Where to start with yet more bullshine nonsense from you Chris. Do you even stop to think before you start typing? Like I said, it’s clear where the country’s problems are when people like you are complicit with the fraud and corruption that’s going on. Privatize the profits, and socialise the losses.
But you keep believing the Daily Fail.
The tide of opinion is turning against Brexit.
Ps did you have gammon for lunch?

Anyway, on to football. Can’t wait for the season proper to start again. I’ve been very surprised at the almost total lack of support shown to the England team this time round, in the form of flags etc., on houses and cars. Totally different to the Euros and previous comps.
Is it the summer/winter effect??

Post #555716  Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:58 pm 

You're a better man than me John. I was just going to post this...

Post #555717  Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:59 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
What do you call a woman with a penis?

bubblechris?

Post #555718  Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:05 pm 

Vince Ordinaire wrote:

It’s incredible how some people have such closed minds. No wonder Trump, QAnon etc are making such an impact, when individuals like Chris can be so easily manipulated just because they can’t even ask the simple question why? And how they can’t see that they’re being taken for a ride? Baffling.

Post #555719  Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:49 pm 

john1 wrote:
Vince Ordinaire wrote:

It’s incredible how some people have such closed minds. No wonder Trump, QAnon etc are making such an impact, when individuals like Chris can be so easily manipulated just because they can’t even ask the simple question why? And how they can’t see that they’re being taken for a ride? Baffling.

2 wokies now huh!

Do you know what typical wokies do today?

They believe that they are right and anyone who disagrees with them is wrong. Sums you 2 up completely.

I would remind you of other times I was right and some of you ridiculed me:
I was in favour of Sanchez leaving.
I was in favour of Aubamayang leaving.
I was in favour of us following the Swedish way of treating Covid 19.
I was against the claims of Sage.
I was against lockdowns.
I'm sure there were others but unlike you I allow other people to disagree with me provided they don't start the name calling.

I rest my case............

Post #555720  Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:43 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Do you know what typical wokies do today?

They believe that they are right and anyone who disagrees with them is wrong.

So presumably you, in contrast, believe that you are wrong and anyone who disagrees with you is right.

In which case, I have some excellent news for you!

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13890, 13891, 13892, 13893, 13894, 13895, 13896 ... 14269  Next