Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 110 guests

Post #528761  Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 2:56 pm 

Hope it will be this easy on Thursday and with the same scoreline.

Post #528762  Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 2:57 pm 

john1 wrote:
We are top half of the league say we are top half of the league

Just like winning a trophy
:21encouragement:

Post #528763  Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 2:59 pm 

The media slagging of the Man U fans but I think they've played a blinder.

Post #528764  Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:07 pm 

john1 wrote:

Indeed.

I was worried there for a moment with that challenge on Martinelli.

Post #528765  Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:17 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I have zero confidence in us getting a win today. Draw is what I think will happen. I'm hoping I'm proven wrong. I'd love to see us get a big win and build some confidence going into the 2nd leg.

You lost that bet big time. :15laughter: :toothy9:

Post #528766  Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:16 pm 

warrior wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
What? They’ve sold all of their players?

Even if they did, none of the good ones would be coming our way. :26surprise:

:15laughter:

Post #528767  Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:21 pm 

Nice comfortable win. Goal and some minutes for Aubameyang was the biggest positive ahead of Thursday. I also really like Martinelli and his willingness to directly dribble at players, he causes problems, ok it might not work every time but given the choice between a winger who dribbles 10 times and loses it 7 of those times and beats his man the other 3 vs a winger who constantly just passes it back to his full back I know which it rather have.

I’d start Bellerin on Thursday as well.

Post #528768  Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:31 pm 

Rich wrote:
Nice comfortable win. Goal and some minutes for Aubameyang was the biggest positive ahead of Thursday. I also really like Martinelli and his willingness to directly dribble at players, he causes problems, ok it might not work every time but given the choice between a winger who dribbles 10 times and loses it 7 of those times and beats his man the other 3 vs a winger who constantly just passes it back to his full back I know which it rather have.

Bellerin is comfortably the best right back at the club. It's another odd decision by Arteta. Also, what was the point of signing Cédric if he is neither 1st or 2nd choice for either fullback position?

Post #528769  Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:37 pm 

Rich wrote:

It’s not just the dribbling. If he loses the ball then he works hard to get it back and he is very effective at a high press.

Post #528770  Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:41 pm 

No game. United v Liverpool game postponed. A lot of damage inside stadium.

Post #528771  Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:09 pm 

Zed wrote:

If true then that’s a shame. It detracts hugely from the message that I presume that they were trying to get across.

Post #528772  Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:19 pm 

dec wrote:
Rich wrote:

Bellerin is comfortably the best right back at the club. It's another odd decision by Arteta. Also, what was the point of signing Cédric if he is neither 1st or 2nd choice for either fullback position?

They know Bellerin is leaving the club this summer clearly and are concerned about his professional application. I agree it’s Hobson choice and he needs to be played

Post #528773  Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:22 pm 

Zed wrote:

Assuming it was local fans who would bother to turn up for a ‘behind closed doors’ fixture, being it’s all going to be on CCTV the Manchester police will be busy identifying culprits involved over the next few days. Expect lots of them to be nicked for this.

Heavy fines, or maybe to set an example a few of the ones who caused damage spending a bit of time in Strangeways?

Post #528774  Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:00 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Zed wrote:

If true then that’s a shame. It detracts hugely from the message that I presume that they were trying to get across.

Financially it won't phase the Glazers much. Their NFL team won the Super Bowl this year.

Post #528775  Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:21 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

Assuming it was local fans who would bother to turn up for a ‘behind closed doors’ fixture, being it’s all going to be on CCTV the Manchester police will be busy identifying culprits involved over the next few days. Expect lots of them to be nicked for this.

Heavy fines, maybe a few of the ones who caused damage spending a bit of time in Strangeways?

CCTV should have picked up which doors/gate was damaged where fans got in, depending how/where cameras are set up. May have been some pitch damage as well. A TV camera tripod was damaged as a fan tossed it. The stewards weren't trained to police or stop invading fans, due to matches being played behind closed doors. Took the police awhile to get to OT anyway. Maybe they were local fans. No matter. Still game will be played on another date and City still could win the league. Fines assessed and a few fans banned probably.

Post #528776  Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:29 pm 

A mention to Ryan as well today. Thought he was excellent under the high ball, punched when he was crowed or under pressure and also caught well to take the pressure off us. Think that’s his first clean sheet for us, after being a bit unlucky with an own goal and a penalty before

Post #528777  Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:51 pm 

Zed wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Financially it won't phase the Glazers much. Their NFL team won the Super Bowl this year.

I don't pay much attention to American football, but I read an article that notes it can be more rewarding to come last in the league than to win, because you then get first pick at the draft. Towards then end of the season the weaker teams start deliberately losing to increase their chances of getting the next NFL equivalent of Messi. Rather like ringing it to get a high handicap in golf.

The Jacksonville Jaguars, who are supposedly hopeless, got a player called Trevor Lawrence (who looks like he'd fit right in to Jacksonville) who is supposedly the absolute mustard with a football (if that is the right word) in hand (Rather like the best English prospect being forced to go and play for Barnet?) They then cash in, owners pocket cash, and things proceed in unruffled manner, with the Jags propping up the table like Atlas each season.

it seem to be quite a curious game.

Post #528778  Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:26 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Zed wrote:

Dont think it does, let's hope we see plenty more of this.

Post #528779  Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:46 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Zed wrote:

I don't pay much attention to American football, but I read an article that notes it can be more rewarding to come last in the league than to win, because you then get first pick at the draft. Towards then end of the season the weaker teams start deliberately losing to increase their chances of getting the next NFL equivalent of Messi. Rather like ringing it to get a high handicap in golf.

The Jacksonville Jaguars, who are supposedly hopeless, got a player called Trevor Lawrence (who looks like he'd fit right in to Jacksonville) who is supposedly the absolute mustard with a football (if that is the right word) in hand (Rather like the best English prospect being forced to go and play for Barnet?) They then cash in, owners pocket cash, and things proceed in unruffled manner, with the Jags propping up the table like Atlas each season.

Hi Decaf,
No I don't bother with the NFL much either. Only do at times as we have owners involved in it. Recent Super Bowl winning players pocket $130K, whereas, losing players get $65K. Not sure if that's each, but if it is, not too shabby.

Post #528780  Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:01 pm 

Zed wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Hi Decaf,
No I don't bother with the NFL much either. Only do at times as we have owners involved in it. Recent Super Bowl winning players pocket $130K, whereas, losing players get $65K. Not sure if that's each, but if it is, not too shabby.

Don’t know if that sounds huge. A mate of mine knew the father of one of our reserve players about 15 years ago he was sporadically involved after a spate of injuries from time to time and the father said our players and his son won a few win bonuses for champions league group games and the amount per game was 16 thousand quid. That sounded huge to me at the time. No wonder they go ballistic when we win.

Post #528781  Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:08 pm 

Bored wrote:
john1 wrote:

Indeed.

"Top half of the league" doesn't quite quicken the pulse in the same manner as "top of the league", does it?

Post #528782  Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:09 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Zed wrote:
Hi Decaf,

Don’t know if that sounds huge. A mate of mine knew the father of one of our reserve players about 15 years ago he was sporadically involved after a spate of injuries from time to time and the father said our players and his son won a few win bonuses for champions league group games and the amount per game was 16 thousand quid. That sounded huge to me at the time. No wonder they go ballistic when we win.

It has to be a bonus TG. Largest one for the winners obviously.

Post #528783  Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:01 am 

dec wrote:
Rich wrote:

Was thinking the same when the squads went up. Cédric is apparently a worse left back option than Xhaka but is good enough to be on the bench. Unless it was Arteta's attempts to play a 3-6-1 formation. :9surprise:

Post #528784  Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:25 am 

grantyboy wrote:
dec wrote:

Was thinking the same when the squads went up. Cédric is apparently a worse left back option than Xhaka but is good enough to be on the bench. Unless it was Arteta's attempts to play a 3-6-1 formation. :9surprise:

I think it sort of was! Xhaka basically stepped up into midfield and played quarterback and against Newcastle you can just about get away with it. After the terror of him playing that whole second half on a yellow I thought he actually did really well, but Gabriel covered there a few times which I don’t think was by accident. Whoever was on Newcastle’s right wing thought I’ll have a run at Xhaka and get him sent off, found themselves up against a brick wall in Gab and he showed that at his best he’s a phenomenal one on one defender. I still think he and one other is our best option as the CB pairing. I wonder again what’s going to happens with Saliba at the end of the season...

Post #528785  Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:30 am 

Decaf wrote:
Bored wrote:

Indeed.

"Top half of the league" doesn't quite quicken the pulse in the same manner as "top of the league", does it?

I mean if you can’t celebrate the Arsenal breaking the shackles of 11th place and rising like mighty phoenixes to, er, 9th then you sir, and I’m sorry to use this strong language, are a curmudgeon.

Post #528786  Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:26 am 

Unbelievable that Fleck didn't even getting a card from deliberately rucking Lo Celso's face in the Totts match. All the VAR replays clearly showed Fleck looking down at where his feet were and forcefully stamping down to ensure contact was made. If he really didn't want to make contact he could have easily lifted his legs and gone to ground. Diabolical VAR yet again.

Post #528787  Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:31 am 

Ash wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

I think it sort of was! Xhaka basically stepped up into midfield and played quarterback and against Newcastle you can just about get away with it. After the terror of him playing that whole second half on a yellow I thought he actually did really well, but Gabriel covered there a few times which I don’t think was by accident. Whoever was on Newcastle’s right wing thought I’ll have a run at Xhaka and get him sent off, found themselves up against a brick wall in Gab and he showed that at his best he’s a phenomenal one on one defender. I still think he and one other is our best option as the CB pairing. I wonder again what’s going to happens with Saliba at the end of the season...

Yeah I like Gabriel too. Sometimes gets a bit overextended when coming for balls over the top but overall has good strength, tackling and positional awareness. I haven't taken note of his aerial ability in the box but at the moment I think the best pairing is probably him and Holding or dare I say it, Luiz.

Post #528788  Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:32 am 

Ash wrote:
Decaf wrote:

I mean if you can’t celebrate the Arsenal breaking the shackles of 11th place and rising like mighty phoenixes to, er, 9th then you sir, and I’m sorry to use this strong language, are a curmudgeon.

Geez that's a bit harsh. This is a family venue. :laughing7:

Post #528789  Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:06 am 

It was 50 years ago today......

Post #528790  Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:25 am 

For Thursday I think Arteta will pick the following team
Leno, chambers, holding, mari, xhaka, partey, elneny, saka, smith Rowe, Pépé, Aubameyang
That should be enough to qualify if we play as we can, but we could easily turn up and put in another stinker.

I’d prefer to see Bellerin start and Xhaka in midfield, I’d probably go Ødegaard over smith Rowe as well depending on Ødegaard’s fitness

Post #528791  Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:26 am 

One of the reasons Xhaka didn’t get over exposed at left back was because Newcastle’s right winger was constantly being dragged back by the direct running of Martinelli. Attack was definitely the best form of defence there

Post #528792  Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:28 am 

DHD wrote:

That Sgt.Pepper taught the band to play?

Ray Kennedy. White Hart Lane. Part 1 of 2 :21encouragement:

Post #528793  Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:39 am 

tomc wrote:
DHD wrote:

You have the same sense of humour as me. The same things shot into my mind.

Post #528794  Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:41 am 

MOTD last night. Man City have spent about 400 million more than arsenal in the last 8 years.

Daft sport

Post #528795  Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:18 am 

long time gooner wrote:
tomc wrote:

Was at both games. Brilliant week. I still have my rosette from the final!
(Younger forumites may need to look that word up)

Post #528796  Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:50 am 

Andy Green wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

You and me both Andy.

I have the match programme from Wembley (though fuknose where). I did have a sod of grass clawed with my bare hands from the WHL pitch - only time I’ve ever joined a pitch invasion - but when if decayed to dust, my mum binned it.

I think Bern may have been there too. Anyone else?

Post #528797  Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:04 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

So was I. My dad worked in Tottenham for a rubber company. The office where he worked was in Tottenham Hale, but they had a warehouse or factory in Tottenham High Road, a short walk from the ground. To save time, he took me into work that day, spending most of it in his Tottenham Hale office before driving to the factory or warehouse to park and walk down to the ground.

I’ve no idea now if 3rd May 1971 was a UK bank holiday (as today is), but if it wasn’t it must have been a parentally approved (or driven) day of truant or bunking off school.

Post #528798  Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:11 pm 

DHD wrote:

Wrote my last post before seeing yours.

Post #528799  Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:27 pm 

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:

Getting in WHL that night was tough. The crowds were incredible. I just got swept along... think my feet were both off the ground at some point Don’t remember too much about the game.Apart from Rays header I remember Gilzean going in hard on Bob Wilson at one point. After the game I followed the crowd and got up near the Director’s box
I have a lovely photo somewhere of Billy Nicholson congratulating Bertie Mee
Nice touch from a classy guy.
If memory serves we won the double and Spurs the League Cup. Did Chelsea win the Cup Winners Cup in a replay that year also.
Good year for London clubs

Post #528800  Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:39 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Getting in WHL that night was tough. The crowds were incredible. I just got swept along... think my feet were both off the ground at some point Don’t remember too much about the game.Apart from Rays header I remember Gilzean going in hard on Bob Wilson at one point. After the game I followed the crowd and got up near the Director’s box
I have a lovely photo somewhere of Billy Nicholson congratulating Bertie Mee
Nice touch from a classy guy.
If memory serves we won the double and Spurs the League Cup. Did Chelsea win the Cup Winners Cup in a replay that year also.
Good year for London clubs

I was there with three of my mates; we’re spread around the UK and Europe these days but we still ZOOM every week and meet up when we can. We’d all taken the afternoon off work though other mates couldn’t so missed out. We got to the ground at about 3:00 I think and were shocked and amazed that massive queues (several deep) had already formed; they must’ve got there at dawn.

As we were walking to join the back of the queue it became obvious we probably wouldn’t get in. Then amazingly, a police horse reared up causing general chaos and an almighty scramble; when things calmed down, we were all safely in the queue several hours higher we should’ve been. Apologies to the four who missed out. The rumour at the time was that maybe up to 100,000 were locked out.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13217, 13218, 13219, 13220, 13221, 13222, 13223 ... 14269  Next