Fixtures Tuesday July 13th - Hibernian - Easter Road - Friendly Match - 6:00 Pm

Kick-Off

       Injuries                    Steve Gleiber



Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:57 am

All times are UTC


  


Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bernard, Bing [Bot], long time gooner, warrior and 7 guests

 
Post #530521  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13908

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Many of those managers inherited him and have to keep nice right they can’t publicly announce they don’t rate him?

You don't knock him publically but why on earth pick him for every game if you don't rate him? By your logic, Arteta would have picked Özil and Mustafi for every game to 'keep nice right'.

Cause all our current midfielders are characters off Sesame Street and despite being dire he’s all we have.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530522  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13896

TOP GUN wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
They could do what managers do with players they don't rate; play others instead and try to get rid.


That’s not how the top managers do it though. It’s the Ferguson method right ? Pat them on the back and tell them they did a good job, tell the media they are doing well and there’s no problem (when it’s bloody obvious there is!) then make a note of all their sins and bang they are gone at the first opportunity when someone shows interest.

But a) Özil. b) Your story about Ferguson is pure fantasy. Are you saying he would actually play someone he didn't rate in an important match simply to keep a player in the shop window. He did sing the praises of the likes of Veron and Forlan. They were seriously good player who just didn't fit at United. But there were many other player who turned out to be crap and just disappeared (Djemba Djemba? Tiabi?). He also didn't mind taking a financial loss if a player didn't work out.

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530523  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13896

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:
You don't knock him publically but why on earth pick him for every game if you don't rate him? By your logic, Arteta would have picked Özil and Mustafi for every game to 'keep nice right'.

Cause all our current midfielders are characters off Sesame Street and despite being dire he’s all we have.

Well then you don't sell one of the two half-decent ones you have!

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530524  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13908

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

That’s not how the top managers do it though. It’s the Ferguson method right ? Pat them on the back and tell them they did a good job, tell the media they are doing well and there’s no problem (when it’s bloody obvious there is!) then make a note of all their sins and bang they are gone at the first opportunity when someone shows interest.

But a) Özil. b) Your story about Ferguson is pure fantasy. Are you saying he would actually play someone he didn't rate in an important match simply to keep a player in the shop window. He did sing the praises of the likes of Veron and Forlan. They were seriously good player who just didn't fit at United. But there were many other player who turned out to be crap and just disappeared (Djemba Djemba? Tiabi?). He also didn't mind taking a financial loss if a player didn't work out.


Japp stam, beckham. Tons of examples of it. Don’t bad mouth the player because coming out and saying “this guys a loser” tends not to help his performances and transfer value

Oh and on Özil and mustafi. Özil was dropped because his performances got so bad it was embarrassing as his effort was being exposed by willock and others and mustafi got a decent amount of games until his final season. But Arsenal also In that position had better options than our midfield where it can’t be missed on you we seem to be selling ALL our midfield players who failed us so badly bar Partey and the kids (and I’m loving it!)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530525  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13896

TOP GUN wrote:
It’s not going to be a depressed market this summer though. Expect 100 million transfer for Kane and potentially grealish, rice and others

If Saka was put up for sale what do you reckon he would fetch. 50 or 60 I’d suggest? More ?

Then how can it be depressed if he’s also our player

Great. So your plan would be to sell now for peanuts, create a huge hole in our squad on the principle that the grass is greener on the other side, and buy later when the big clubs have sprung and the like of W Ham, Spurs and Villa are looking to splurge?

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530526  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:21 pm
Posts: 14817
Location: Stockholm

TOP GUN wrote:
That’s not how the top managers do it though. It’s the Ferguson method right ? Pat them on the back and tell them they did a good job, tell the media they are doing well and there’s no problem (when it’s bloody obvious there is!) then make a note of all their sins and bang they are gone at the first opportunity when someone shows interest.

First opportunity? Excluding the January window in 2017 there have been six transfer windows where none of them made any effort whatsoever to get rid of him. Arteta even convinced him to stay when he was desperate to leave. Wenger signed him, Emery made him captain. They all had him as a nailed on starter and any midfield signing we've made during Xhaka's time seem to have been brought in as a partner to him rather than a replacement for him.

It's fair enough not to rate Xhaka based on having seen him play more than 200 games for the club, but it can't be denied his managers rate him highly as a player and professional.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530527  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13908

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
It’s not going to be a depressed market this summer though. Expect 100 million transfer for Kane and potentially grealish, rice and others

If Saka was put up for sale what do you reckon he would fetch. 50 or 60 I’d suggest? More ?

Then how can it be depressed if he’s also our player

Great. So your plan would be to sell now for peanuts, create a huge hole in our squad on the principle that the grass is greener on the other side, and buy later when the big clubs have sprung and the like of W Ham, Spurs and Villa are looking to splurge?

That’s not my point. My point is merely other teams can’t rate these players as high as our fans do and there must be a reason for that. Probably that some of these players are more gash than the high esteem and regard we seem to hold them in. That indicates something right.

Honestly mate it’s not gonna take too much effort to replace Xhaka, Ce-ball-loss, El Nenny and Guendouzi. Let em go and bring in fresh blood. (I’m loving it)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530528  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13908

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
That’s not how the top managers do it though. It’s the Ferguson method right ? Pat them on the back and tell them they did a good job, tell the media they are doing well and there’s no problem (when it’s bloody obvious there is!) then make a note of all their sins and bang they are gone at the first opportunity when someone shows interest.

First opportunity? Excluding the January window in 2017 there have been six transfer windows where none of them made any effort whatsoever to get rid of him. Arteta even convinced him to stay when he was desperate to leave. Wenger signed him, Emery made him captain. They all had him as a nailed on starter and any midfield signing we've made during Xhaka's time seem to have been brought in as a partner to him rather than a replacement for him.

It's fair enough not to rate Xhaka based on having seen him play more than 200 games for the club, but it can't be denied his managers rate him highly as a player and professional.

Current one doesn’t as he wouldn’t be selling him for peanuts slap bang at the start of a transfer window. It’s also not their fault they haven’t been able to sell many of these misfits across multiple windows because they are useless and on huge contracts

:58big-emoticons:


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530529  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:07 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 9183

TOP GUN wrote:
It’s not going to be a depressed market this summer though. Expect 100 million transfer for Kane and potentially grealish, rice and others

If Saka was put up for sale what do you reckon he would fetch. 50 or 60 I’d suggest? More ?

Then how can it be depressed if he’s also our player

If Tottenham get less for Kane than they would have if they’d sold him in a non-depressed transfer market, it surely has to be seen as depressed even if they get a very high fee for him, which they obviously will. The same will apply to any youngster who has just had a breakthrough season, like Saka. A mansion in Hampstead sold during a depressed housing market will still fetch a lot of money. It’ll just be less than the amount it would have presumably been sold for in a non-depressed market.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530530  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13908

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
It’s not going to be a depressed market this summer though. Expect 100 million transfer for Kane and potentially grealish, rice and others

If Saka was put up for sale what do you reckon he would fetch. 50 or 60 I’d suggest? More ?

Then how can it be depressed if he’s also our player

If Tottenham get less for Kane than they would have if they’d sold him in a non-depressed transfer market, it surely has to be seen as depressed even if they get a very high fee for him, which they obviously will. The same will apply to any youngster who has just had a breakthrough season, like Saka. A mansion in Hampstead sold during a depressed housing market will still fetch a lot of money. It’ll just be less than the amount it would have presumably been sold for in a non-depressed market.


Good player: market isn’t depressed

Bad player: the market is depressed this players not an obvious turd !!,,

Funny that :15laughter:


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530531  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:20 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:45 am
Posts: 23611

It’s not just the market that’s depressed. I am too where Arsenal are concerned.

_________________
I believe in our team, I believe in our quality and I am convinced that I am right. (Arsene Wenger Dec 08)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530532  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:21 pm
Posts: 14817
Location: Stockholm

TOP GUN wrote:
Current one doesn’t as he wouldn’t be selling him for peanuts slap bang at the start of a transfer window. It’s also not their fault they haven’t been able to sell many of these misfits across multiple windows because they are useless and on huge contracts

We're selling because Xhaka has been pushing for a move. And with every other player you're refering to (Mustafi, Kolasinac, Özil) we tried getting rid of them for a long time before they actually left. There hasn't even been a sniff of such a rumour regarding Xhaka, apart from January 2020 when he himself was desperate to move. If we had tried to sell him but failed you might've had a point, but we simply didn't. Instead we played him for 45 games per year.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530533  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13908

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Current one doesn’t as he wouldn’t be selling him for peanuts slap bang at the start of a transfer window. It’s also not their fault they haven’t been able to sell many of these misfits across multiple windows because they are useless and on huge contracts

We're selling because Xhaka has been pushing for a move. And with every other player you're refering to (Mustafi, Kolasinac, Özil) we tried getting rid of them for a long time before they actually left. There hasn't even been a sniff of such a rumour regarding Xhaka, apart from January 2020 when he himself was desperate to move. If we had tried to sell him but failed you might've had a point, but we simply didn't. Instead we played him for 45 games per year.


No sniff of a rumour Because he’s crap and on a huge 120 k a year contract few would contemplate. We played him because of our midfield options being poverty

We are offering little resistance to the fact he’s being sold for peanuts so he can’t be rated that highly. He’s under contract. That’s the end of it,

Simply in life you don’t sell things you value highly for little money.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530534  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:21 pm
Posts: 14817
Location: Stockholm

TOP GUN wrote:
No sniff of a rumour Because he’s crap and on a huge 120 k a year contract few would contemplate. We played him because of our midfield options being poverty

All the other players mentioned were underperforming on big contracts, and we tried desperately to get rid of them to the point where we paid teams to take them on. No such effort was made with Xhaka. Again, if we had tried and failed your point would've been more valid. This summer Xhaka is pushing for a move, and we're getting the best deal we can in a difficult market. There's just no evidence at all that supports your view.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530535  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13908

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
No sniff of a rumour Because he’s crap and on a huge 120 k a year contract few would contemplate. We played him because of our midfield options being poverty

All the other players mentioned were underperforming on big contracts, and we tried desperately to get rid of them to the point where we paid teams to take them on. No such effort was made with Xhaka. Again, if we had tried and failed your point would've been more valid. This summer Xhaka is pushing for a move, and we're getting the best deal we can in a difficult market. There's just no evidence at all that supports your view.

You can only sell if you have a buyer. There have been hardly any and the type of clubs that don’t spend 110k a week easily


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530536  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:37 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 9183

:toothy9:
TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
If Tottenham get less for Kane than they would have if they’d sold him in a non-depressed transfer market, it surely has to be seen as depressed even if they get a very high fee for him, which they obviously will. The same will apply to any youngster who has just had a breakthrough season, like Saka. A mansion in Hampstead sold during a depressed housing market will still fetch a lot of money. It’ll just be less than the amount it would have presumably been sold for in a non-depressed market.

Good player: market isn’t depressed

Bad player: the market is depressed this players not an obvious turd !!,,

Funny that :15laughter:

If a good player is sold for for less money than his club could have got for him at another time, that suggests the market is depressed. There are other factors like closeness to his contract expiring, wages and so on. But I think it’s a strange argument to suggest the current transfer market isn’t depressed.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530537  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:21 pm
Posts: 14817
Location: Stockholm

TOP GUN wrote:
You can only sell if you have a buyer. There have been hardly any and the type of clubs that don’t spend 110k a week easily

Again, we didn't have any buyers for Mustafi, Kolasinac and Özil. Yet, for several transfer windows there were loads of reports about how we tried and tried to move them on and ended up with deals that gave us absolutely nothing for them. If the managers didn't rate Xhaka at all we would've done the same with him. Instead Emery made him captain (or are you suggesting that was a ploy to increase his value?) and Arteta convinced him to stay when he had one foot out the door.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530538  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13908

Bernard wrote:
:toothy9:
TOP GUN wrote:
Good player: market isn’t depressed

Bad player: the market is depressed this players not an obvious turd !!,,

Funny that :15laughter:

If a good player is sold for for less money than his club could have got for him at another time, that suggests the market is depressed. There are other factors like closeness to his contract expiring, wages and so on. But I think it’s a strange argument to suggest the current transfer market isn’t depressed.

If Saka wanted to leave do you reckon we would accept an offer of 25 million for him ?

No?

You have the answer you are seeking.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530539  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13908

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
You can only sell if you have a buyer. There have been hardly any and the type of clubs that don’t spend 110k a week easily

Again, we didn't have any buyers for Mustafi, Kolasinac and Özil. Yet, for several transfer windows there were loads of reports about how we tried and tried to move them on and ended up with deals that gave us absolutely nothing for them. If the managers didn't rate Xhaka at all we would've done the same with him. Instead Emery made him captain (or are you suggesting that was a ploy to increase his value?) and Arteta convinced him to stay when he had one foot out the door.

As I’ve said several times. We have plenty of centre backs and few quality midfielders. You have to make nice till the opportunity arises

If our midfield was Sesame Street Xhaka would be big bird.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530540  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13896

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Great. So your plan would be to sell now for peanuts, create a huge hole in our squad on the principle that the grass is greener on the other side, and buy later when the big clubs have sprung and the like of W Ham, Spurs and Villa are looking to splurge?

That’s not my point. My point is merely other teams can’t rate these players as high as our fans do and there must be a reason for that. Probably that some of these players are more gash than the high esteem and regard we seem to hold them in. That indicates something right.

Honestly mate it’s not gonna take too much effort to replace Xhaka, Ce-ball-loss, El Nenny and Guendouzi. Let em go and bring in fresh blood. (I’m loving it)

I'm less optimistic about that. Hopefully the days of missing our transfer targets and going into season with squad holes unfilled are over. However, it would be very risky to put ourselves in a position where we have just one established first-team midfielder in the squad. Apart from the fact that you cannot guarantee that incoming players would be a hit, let alone immediately, we would hardly be putting ourselves in a great bargaining position. Last season we saw how fatal it is to go into the season without adequate midfield cover. When Xhaka or Partey was unavailable we has a big problem. Xhaka isn't nearly as bad as you make out.

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530541  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:21 pm
Posts: 14817
Location: Stockholm

TOP GUN wrote:
As I’ve said several times. We have plenty of centre backs and few quality midfielders. You have to make nice till the opportunity arises

So then you sign a new midfielder, it's what clubs do every now and then. You just seem to ignore all the actual evidence of the situation, starting with the fact that we actually had a buyer for Xhaka (unlike Mustafi et al). What better 'opportunity' could there be than the player wanting to leave and a club wanting to buy him?

When he wanted to join Hertha Berlin Xhaka's standing among Arsenal fans were at an all time low and it would've been the easiest thing in the world for Arteta to sell him and get someone new in. Nobody would've blamed him for it. Instead, Arteta chose to make an effort to persuade Xhaka to stay.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530542  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:04 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 9183

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
If a good player is sold for for less money than his club could have got for him at another time, that suggests the market is depressed. There are other factors like closeness to his contract expiring, wages and so on. But I think it’s a strange argument to suggest the current transfer market isn’t depressed.

If Saka wanted to leave do you reckon we would accept an offer of 25 million for him ?

No?

You have the answer you are seeking.

No I’m sure we wouldn’t. But that’s irrelevant to the point I’m making, as I’m sure you must realise. Saka has just had his breakthrough season and looks a truly great prospect. But if the current transfer market wasn’t so difficult or depressed as it is, I’m confident Arsenal would have got an even higher fee for him than we would have been able to now.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530543  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 19175

I will reserve final judgement on £15m for Xhaka (if that proves to be the fee) until I see what other players are selling for.

It does seem low for a player of his calibre. He may not be the level of player who most of us think will enable us to take the steps forward we need to but he is a decent player who just lacks the pace and athleticism that help greatly in the PL.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530544  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13908

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
As I’ve said several times. We have plenty of centre backs and few quality midfielders. You have to make nice till the opportunity arises

So then you sign a new midfielder, it's what clubs do every now and then. You just seem to ignore all the actual evidence of the situation, starting with the fact that we actually had a buyer for Xhaka (unlike Mustafi et al). What better 'opportunity' could there be than the player wanting to leave and a club wanting to buy him?

When he wanted to join Hertha Berlin Xhaka's standing among Arsenal fans were at an all time low and it would've been the easiest thing in the world for Arteta to sell him and get someone new in. Nobody would've blamed him for it. Instead, Arteta chose to make an effort to persuade Xhaka to stay.


....Because of our lack of money and other Sesame Street midfielders.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530545  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18712

socrates wrote:
I will reserve final judgement on £15m for Xhaka (if that proves to be the fee) until I see what other players are selling for.

It does seem low for a player of his calibre. He may not be the level of player who most of us think will enable us to take the steps forward we need to but he is a decent player who just lacks the pace and athleticism that help greatly in the PL.

That is it. If we sell Xhaka for £15m and buy Neves for £35m then we've under sold and overpaid no matter what the difference in their respective wages might be.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530546  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18712

Talk that Nketiah will be offered a new deal to protect his value and look to have a prosperous loan next year. I assume the plan is to send him on loan, hope he does a Willock and then sell him for double what we might be able to this summer. There are a lot of 'ifs' in that, so in my mind I think he just needs to be moved on this summer.

There are a lot of players who need to be moved on so we can't waste time giving them a new 3 year deal in case we might get more money for them later


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530547  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13908

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:
I will reserve final judgement on £15m for Xhaka (if that proves to be the fee) until I see what other players are selling for.

It does seem low for a player of his calibre. He may not be the level of player who most of us think will enable us to take the steps forward we need to but he is a decent player who just lacks the pace and athleticism that help greatly in the PL.

That is it. If we sell Xhaka for £15m and buy Neves for £35m then we've under sold and overpaid no matter what the difference in their respective wages might be.

Neves is on half of xhakas salary. Half.

The buyer then has to offer a 4 year contract at the same salary. More risk and only a certain type of club can offer those wages. Which for a duff player like Xhaka are excessive.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530548  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18712

We're supposedly interested in RB Leipzig’s 22-year-old Tyler Adams - he can play right back and defensive midfield.

Also Anderlecht's Lokonga is linked. I have no idea how good he is but the profile feels right. He's 21, already captain of Anderlecht, just received his first call up to the Belgium national team, seems like an athletic profile and is seemingly available for £10-13m. If you are replacing the likes of Elneny and Ceballos with this sort of profile of player then it is the smart move.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530549  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18712

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:
That is it. If we sell Xhaka for £15m and buy Neves for £35m then we've under sold and overpaid no matter what the difference in their respective wages might be.

Neves is on half of xhakas salary. Half.

The buyer then has to offer a 4 year contract at the same salary. More risk and only a certain type of club can offer those wages. Which for a duff player like Xhaka are excessive.

But if we sign Neves he won't be signing for half of Xhaka's salary - or his current salary. For arguments sake of Xhaka is on £100k per week and Neves is on £50k a week I would be amazed if Neves signed that he wouldn't earn at least £75k a week with us. - which is the difference of £5m over the length of a 4 year contract.
I'm not saying keep Xhaka - far from it, I'm saying sell him for the right price and buy a better replacement for a good price.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530550  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:21 pm
Posts: 14817
Location: Stockholm

The thing is, player value isn't static. It depends on a number of things that aren't related to the player itself, such as funds available to the buying club. We simply have a lot more money to spend than Roma, so we will have to spend more than we get for Xhaka to get a proper replacement.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530551  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13908

Granit Xhaka signed a 5 year / £26,000,000 contract with the Arsenal so
Let’s say in the unlikely event he agreed a 35 million pound transfer to Roma they would have committed to spending something like 61 million without bonuses on 5 years of Granit *%^@*** Xhaka.


…. Then after he signs the contract they see this..

https://youtu.be/RZoNaFcB7fo

Can you see why there haven’t been many suitors yet ? Ok gotcha. Depressed market bollocks don’t come into it at all.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530552  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:51 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 9183

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:
That is it. If we sell Xhaka for £15m and buy Neves for £35m then we've under sold and overpaid no matter what the difference in their respective wages might be.

Neves is on half of xhakas salary. Half.

The buyer then has to offer a 4 year contract at the same salary. More risk and only a certain type of club can offer those wages. Which for a duff player like Xhaka are excessive.

The figures I’ve seen for both is Neves being on £55k a week and Xhaka being on £100k a week. Ignoring the pedantry that £55k is more than half of £100k, the relevant point is what Neves would be on at Arsenal if he joins? I’ve little or no doubt that it would be significantly more than the £55k he gets at Wolves. Would an increase to £80k be unrealistic? That would represent a saving of £20k a week on Xhaka, which is a little over £1m a year (£1,040,000 to be precise).

If Rich’s figures are right and we sell Xhaka for £15m and buy Neves for £35m, that is obviously a difference of £20m. Yet if he signs a four year contract at Arsenal, the saving in his salary (if he will get £80k a week with us) would only make up £4,160,000 of that difference. Still a shortfall of nearly £16m (£15,840,000) on the loss from the transfer fee.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530553  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:21 pm
Posts: 14817
Location: Stockholm

TOP GUN wrote:
Can you see why there haven’t been many suitors yet ? Ok gotcha. Depressed market bollocks don’t come into it at all.

Pretty much every club in Europe including the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid and most football associations have been very vocal about the dire state of finances during the pandemic, so depressed market is hardly bollocks. The picture becomes very clear when looking past personal animosity towards a player and seeing the actual evidence at hand.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530554  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:21 pm
Posts: 14817
Location: Stockholm

By the way, the fees quoted for Xhaka's near transfer to Berlin were £20-25m. So either Arteta rates him and wanted to keep him, or it was a simple case of gross miss-management on Arteta's part where he let a player he doesn't rate play an important part in the team while letting his value depreciate. If he was 'stuck' with Xhaka it was because he chose to be.

Or he simply rates Xhaka as a player and thought he would contribute if he was kept around, which is a position that requires no mental gymnastics to make sense. Simply a case of rating players differently.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530555  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Posts: 7574

Modern day transfers are a ball of shite.

That summer we signed Charlie Nicholas. The whole world assumed he was going to Liverpool and then it was simply announced that he had joined Arsenal. Tremendous*

*even if he turned out to be a bit crap

_________________
"I just kept going pretty lively. Them killers wasn't too healthy company."


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530556  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:15 am
Posts: 2381

I wonder if the appointment of 'Aussie Ange' Postecoglou as Celtic manager means the end of Mat Ryan's Arsenal career. As Socceroos coach, Mat was always one of his first choices and Celtic apparently need a keeper. Actually, it's a bit surreal to think of Postecoglou at the helm of a biggish European club. When I worked as a football journalist in the late 1990s, Ange was coach of South Melbourne Hellas in the national soccer league. I used to ring him up every Thursday and we'd have a chat and he'd read out South Melbourne's starting XI for the weekend. We've both come a long way since then. Okay, he's come a long way since then.

_________________
'It's the gaps what rocks' - Steve Marriott


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530557  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:21 pm
Posts: 14817
Location: Stockholm

Andre Onana, the goalkeeper from Ajax we're reportedly targeting, has had his ban reduced to nine months meaning he'll be available in the beginning of November and can start practicing with his team in the beginning of September. Was originally meant to be banned until February.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530558  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18712

Hazuki wrote:
Andre Onana, the goalkeeper from Ajax we're reportedly targeting, has had his ban reduced to nine months meaning he'll be available in the beginning of November and can start practicing with his team in the beginning of September. Was originally meant to be banned until February.

So do we buy a GK for an absolute knock down rate knowing that he can't play for the first 10 or so prem games of the season? If we have to play Runnarsson for those games I'd say no. But if we bought in someone like Mat Ryan as a No.2 then I'd say yes especially if we can get Onana for the reported £2m.

Or, you bring in Onana and keep Leno until january and look to sell him then? Bit of a risk if there are no takers then he'll be in the final 12 months of his contract this time next year.

£20m for Leno, £2m for Onana and a small fee for Ryan seems like a sensible move that may seem like a sideways move in terms of the GK position but frees up funds for squad rebuilding elsewhere


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530559  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 19175

Rich wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Andre Onana, the goalkeeper from Ajax we're reportedly targeting, has had his ban reduced to nine months meaning he'll be available in the beginning of November and can start practicing with his team in the beginning of September. Was originally meant to be banned until February.

So do we buy a GK for an absolute knock down rate knowing that he can't play for the first 10 or so prem games of the season? If we have to play Runnarsson for those games I'd say no. But if we bought in someone like Mat Ryan as a No.2 then I'd say yes especially if we can get Onana for the reported £2m.

Or, you bring in Onana and keep Leno until january and look to sell him then? Bit of a risk if there are no takers then he'll be in the final 12 months of his contract this time next year.

£20m for Leno, £2m for Onana and a small fee for Ryan seems like a sensible move that may seem like a sideways move in terms of the GK position but frees up funds for squad rebuilding elsewhere


Hi Rich.

Makes sense although the timing is tricky.

Mind you I watched an Onana compilation video the other day and came away wondering what all the fuss was about.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530560  Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:52 pm
Posts: 18243

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
At the end of the day there must be a reason nobody would take an 18 million punt on a player like this and only one club want him.

There have been reports about other clubs being interested in Xhaka, but another way to look at it is that Mourinho is another top manager who rates Xhaka highly. So that's Wenger, Emery, Arteta, Mourinho, and add to that Hitzfeld and Petkovic for the national team. Think there's a fair bit of football knowledge between those six.
That is the way to look at it. Can't stand Mourinho but he is a good judge of a footballer. His problem can be managing them, but you sense Xhaka is his type of man, and it will work between them.

_________________
"Young and caught up in life, we seldom watched the skies.”


 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     [ 530961 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13261, 13262, 13263, 13264, 13265, 13266, 13267 ... 13275  Next

All times are UTC

Gooners Online - Click to see what Everyones Doing

Colour Key:  Visited Profile    Members Profile      Admin

Get Latest Post

Users browsing this forum: Bernard, Bing [Bot], long time gooner, warrior and 7 guests


Search for:

Go to Top

Powered by php BB © 1993 - 2018