Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 102 guests

Post #535761  Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:18 pm 

Darren wrote:
Decaf wrote:
But you have to admit that the ideological polarisation is a big problem.

The supply chain and labour issues are fairly serious, but the UK will muddle through those.

What it is less likely to muddle through is a descent into Trumpism which is what happens when you reach a critical mass of people who cannot imagine that they might be wrong about anything and that people who disagree with them even slightly are either idiots or engaged in a conspiracy.

You’re right, although I believe we are already in a the Trumpism era here in the UK.

Only Pavlov’s chihuahua, Bubblechris, will disagree. Which proves the point.

Post #535762  Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:30 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
It's never too early for my annual angst. Need Chelsea and 'Pool to lose a game. Not so worried about Man Utd too much. lol

Only 'Pool for you to worry about now. Hopefully you'll be able to pack away the rubber sheets early this year.

And if we beat Spurs*# we'll be only 4 points below City, Chelsea, and United. Who would have thought that a few weeks ago?

*touching wood
#fondling amulet

Post #535763  Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:31 pm 

Didn’t watch either game, but pleasing results in them. Chelsea lose at home to City and Manchester United lose at home to Villa.

I would much rather City win anything that United or Chelsea, and Liverpool for that matter.

Post #535764  Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:58 pm 

Interesting pair of results in the early games. Not surprised City beat Chelsea. Tight game between two very good sides. City’s defence look very good and now they have de Bruyne and Foden back fit.

Villa beating Man U away is a shocking result for Man U. The way football is right now there always seems to have to be a team ‘in crisis’ the pressure will be ramped up massively on Solksjaer after that result. He seems a nice guy but I’ve never been convinced he’s up to the job. His teams seem to have won through moments of individual brilliance rather than any tactical dominance he’s set up. Also look at the number of times his teams had to come from behind. On the one hand he’s got something to engineer those comebacks but to fall behind so often suggests the tactical set up he’s spent all week planning is just wrong

Post #535765  Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:57 pm 

Crikey. That ‘rubbish’ Brentford side that we lost to have just taken the lead against Liverpool.

Post #535766  Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:18 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Crikey. That ‘rubbish’ Brentford side that we lost to have just taken the lead against Liverpool.

Liverpool got a pretty quick equaliser though.

Post #535767  Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:49 pm 

Latest in the line of jaw dropping decisions, in the Man U v villa game Mginn knocks it past Maguire on the halfway line and has 50 yards of space he’s about to run in to to potentially have a 1 v 1 vs de Gea, maguire clearly puts out his arms to drag Mginn down. Some refs might even see it as a red card for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity- I think Koscielny and Xhaka have both had refs for half way line fouls - it’s a certain yellow. Maguire doesn’t even get pinged for the foul. It honestly defies belief

Post #535768  Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:25 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Liverpool got a pretty quick equaliser though.

Brentford good value for their 3-3 though. Not an easy fixture (especially with the patched up side that we turned out).

Post #535769  Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:29 pm 

Brentford are the new Leeds. Great entertainment, no respect for reputation and a home stadium that’s absolutely rocking.

I do think these late kick off games, away from home, when you’re the only game on tv is the worst time to play these sorts of teams

Post #535770  Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:36 pm 

Bernard's been watching the Ryder Cup....maybe.
Well he said he didn't watch the earlier games before the Brentford-Liverpool one. :blob9:

Post #535771  Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:38 pm 

Rich wrote:
Brentford are the new Leeds. Great entertainment, no respect for reputation and a home stadium that’s absolutely rocking.

I do think these late kick off games, away from home, when you’re the only game on tv is the worst time to play these sorts of teams

Depends on which way the advantage sways in favour towards.

Post #535772  Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:50 pm 

Zed wrote:
Well he said he didn't watch the earlier games before the Brentford-Liverpool one. :blob9:

I didn’t watch the Brentford one either. The Ryder Cup? Good grief, there’s more chance of me not only eating pastry, but enjoying it.

Post #535773  Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:07 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

I didn’t watch the Brentford one either. The Ryder Cup? Good grief, there’s more chance of me not only eating pastry, but enjoying it.

:angel8:
No Ryder Cup for me either.

Post #535774  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:08 am 

I watched the latter part of the Chelsea-City game. That Bernardo is a midfield wizard. That's our missing piece.

Post #535775  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:35 am 

Compimenmts of the Eastern Cyprus Forum:

"Petrol tanker drivers have an ADR qualification as well as a HGV licence. They need this for them to drive petrol tanker lorries.
There is a shortage of HGV drivers. That's a true fact.
However HGV drivers cannot drive a petrol Tanker lorry without having an ADR qualification.
The UK had ADR drivers last week. NOTHING repeat NOTHING changed much in a week. Maybe some holiday or some sickness but not, I doubt a dramatic change.
The ADR drivers that were driving last week are still driving this week delivering fuel. So nothing has changed.
The petrol panic we are now experiencing is all down too media hype.
It's not because of brexit because all the EU drivers went back to Europe. Which is some of the reasons being banded about.
These EU HGV driver's, left months ago, and yet the country was still getting fuel without problems up until today.
So what's changed? Nothing !!
Apart from the disgraceful media hype and scaremongering to make news. Too sensationalise the fact that a couple of petrol stations were getting a late delivery so they closed.
The Result of the media scaremongering!!
Massive panic and chaos by everyone. Which is now causing a shortage of fuel until the ADR drivers, that we already had delivering fuel a few days ago, can deliver again.
The media should be fined and penalised, severely for publicising false news and creating the crazy situation that has been going on all today. Disgusting. They should hold their heads in shame.
And to top it the government have 1000’s of trained military personnel who are available if there was a real fuel crisis. Bloody Media!! Bloody sheep, bloody selfish mentality."

Post #535776  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:03 am 

Check what the head of the Road Haulage Association says, then get back to us.

https://www.channel4.com/news/shortage-of-uk-lorry-drivers-critical-says-road-haulage-association

You’re quite mad. The reason it’s happening is the effects have been gradual. It’s only going to get worse.

Still thank god my banana’s can now be straight.

Post #535777  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:13 am 

Seen a bit of fuss being made about Marcus Alonso now not taking the knee. Players who now don’t take the knee generally do so because they say it’s lost it’s impact. Alonso instead stands and points to the anti racism badge on his sleeve. Surely the very fact Alonso is doing something different is drawing attention (more attention) in the media and therefore keeping the anti-racism as a big focus. In a way, by doing something different it is having a greater impact - in terms of exposure and keeping it relevant - that just taking the knee with everyone else.

Post #535778  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:19 am 

Wat he’d some highlights of the Brentford v Liverpool game and saw Toney win plenty of headers against Matip and Van Dijk.

Post #535779  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:21 am 

Rich wrote:
Wat he’d some highlights of the Brentford v Liverpool game and saw Toney win plenty of headers against Matip and Van Dijk.

They’re a fun side to watch right now.

Post #535780  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:22 am 

Rich wrote:
Seen a bit of fuss being made about Marcus Alonso now not taking the knee. Players who now don’t take the knee generally do so because they say it’s lost it’s impact. Alonso instead stands and points to the anti racism badge on his sleeve. Surely the very fact Alonso is doing something different is drawing attention (more attention) in the media and therefore keeping the anti-racism as a big focus. In a way, by doing something different it is having a greater impact - in terms of exposure and keeping it relevant - that just taking the knee with everyone else.

He never spoke to his black team mates about his stance apparently which I find quite odd.

Post #535781  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:08 am 

bubblechris wrote:

"Petrol tanker drivers have an ADR qualification as well as a HGV licence. They need this for them to drive petrol tanker lorries.
However HGV drivers cannot drive a petrol Tanker lorry without having an ADR qualification.
The UK had ADR drivers last week. NOTHING repeat NOTHING changed much in a week. Maybe some holiday or some sickness but not, I doubt a dramatic change.
The ADR drivers that were driving last week are still driving this week delivering fuel. So nothing has changed.
It's not because of brexit because all the EU drivers went back to Europe. Which is some of the reasons being banded about.
These EU HGV driver's, left months ago, and yet the country was still getting fuel without problems up until today.

What a div :14laughter:

The governments solution is to offer temporary visas to HGV drivers from Europe. If the solution they are pursuing is to undo parts of Brexit then how can the problem not be Brexit! :laughing7:

There simply isn’t enough haulage capacity in the country anymore because of Brexit. The petrol stuff will get sorted but there will be other issues about lack of availability of goods to follow.

Post #535782  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:14 am 

bubblechris wrote:

:42laughter:
Really?

I'm trying to think of a more absurd and Pythonesque sounding news source, but I can't.

Post #535783  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:18 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

What a div :14laughter:

The governments solution is to offer temporary visas to HGV drivers from Europe. If the solution they are pursuing is to undo parts of Brexit then how can the problem not be Brexit! :laughing7:

There simply isn’t enough haulage capacity in the country anymore because of Brexit. The petrol stuff will get sorted but there will be other issues about lack of availability of goods to follow.

One just knew after the first double exclamation mark that we would soon be hearing about sheep and how awful the media is.

Post #535784  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:27 am 

Darren wrote:
Rich wrote:

He never spoke to his black team mates about his stance apparently which I find quite odd.

Even if it is well meant, it is very egotistical and precious, and misses the point about solidarity.

Post #535785  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:20 am 

Rich wrote:
Latest in the line of jaw dropping decisions, in the Man U v villa game Mginn knocks it past Maguire on the halfway line and has 50 yards of space he’s about to run in to to potentially have a 1 v 1 vs de Gea, maguire clearly puts out his arms to drag Mginn down. Some refs might even see it as a red card for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity- I think Koscielny and Xhaka have both had refs for half way line fouls - it’s a certain yellow. Maguire doesn’t even get pinged for the foul. It honestly defies belief
Yes that one really does take some explaining.

Post #535786  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:30 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Rich wrote:

I think there is an exemption that reads: at Old Trafford, since the days of Ferguson the usual rules do not apply to Manchester United players. Referees are not to do anything to upset the club.

Post #535787  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:34 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Rich wrote:

I don’t think they showed it on motd at all. They lost which was the bigger story. I guess them also getting the benefit of dodgy decisions doesn’t scan with that.

Post #535788  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:52 am 

So Xhaka back in the starting line up or no?

Post #535789  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:21 am 

Ash wrote:

No. But I would certainly understand if Arteta played Xhaka and Partey together.

Post #535790  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:09 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Darren wrote:

Even if it is well meant, it is very egotistical and precious, and misses the point about solidarity.

He's spot on. Hjgh time that stupid virtue signalling was canned. Achieved nothing.

Post #535791  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:31 pm 

[at1.
Darren wrote:
Rich wrote:

Then there's Wilfried Zaha , who's been mentioned on here before as he won't take the knee.

Attachments:

Post #535792  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:58 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Ash wrote:

No. But I would certainly understand if Arteta played Xhaka and Partey together.

I think Xhaka will come straight back in. I don’t necessarily agree with it but I’m sure Arteta will start him

Post #535793  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:44 pm 

Xhaka starts. Pépé benched. Looks like it will be Saka on the right and smith Rowe on the left, Ødegaard central

Post #535794  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:02 pm 

Rich wrote:
Decaf wrote:

I think Xhaka will come straight back in. I don’t necessarily agree with it but I’m sure Arteta will start him

Xhaka fits quite well into that formation. Not at bad selection actually.

Post #535795  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:21 pm 

I hope he's got it right with Xhaka.

My concern is that he slows us down and we want more dynamism, not less.

Post #535796  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:31 pm 

Interesting match-up Tomiyasu & Kane

Post #535797  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:37 pm 

Unlucky Aubameyang. Played through the press nicely there.

Post #535798  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:39 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Unlucky Aubameyang. Played through the press nicely there.

Offside though ...

Post #535799  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:42 pm 

A goal from Hale End!

Post #535800  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:42 pm 

Yes!!!!!!
:21encouragement: :21encouragement: :21encouragement:

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13392, 13393, 13394, 13395, 13396, 13397, 13398 ... 14269  Next