Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 114 guests

Post #555161  Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:25 pm 

We’re sharing the goals around. So good to see, not reliant on a single source of goals.

This second half has been managed so brilliantly

Post #555162  Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:26 pm 

Rich wrote:
We’re sharing the goals around. So good to see, not reliant on a single source of goals.

This second half has been managed so brilliantly

Ødegaard now our top scorer in the league

Post #555163  Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:27 pm 

Ash wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Even if you do, it still hurts. I remember being hit in the box in a cricket match :1cry:

But surely a cricket ball to unprotected goolies would have been carnage?? Or was it a googly you just misjudged?

The circumstances are lost in the mist of time.

A third goal would calm the nerves.

Post #555164  Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:30 pm 

Brilliant from Ødegaard again.

Post #555165  Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:35 pm 

Their LB Bueno has handled Saka very well tonight.

Post #555166  Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:36 pm 

Fantastic job from the team. What a season it's been so far. :53big-emoticons: :53big-emoticons: :53big-emoticons:

Post #555167  Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:40 pm 

This squad is playing the season brilliantly. Not in top form all the time - who can be? But managing games quite superbly without any shredded nerves. Unbelievable.

Post #555168  Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:40 pm 

A very professional win, well done and very well deserved. Top of the league going into the break, and even better we fully deserve to be there. Extremely impressed with what we've shown so far.

Post #555169  Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:40 pm 

Weirdly, it was never in doubt for me. I haven’t felt that for many, many years.

Post #555170  Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:48 pm 

Another wonderful performance from the team. Ødegaard immense :53big-emoticons:

Post #555171  Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:13 pm 

Newcastle has won 5 on the trot and before that a 0-0 draw at Man Utd. The best form in the league right now, even better than us. Just sayin'....hmmm

No, they aren't going to win the league but while everyone is talking about us, they are still well around the usual suspects of Chelsea, Man Utd and Tottenham and at least for now, very much in the top 4 race.

Still early days for them (and us) but so far they are meeting the challenge.

Post #555172  Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:27 pm 

Xhaka had a stomach issue accorfing to Arteta, and apparently a few more of our players were struggling with the same problem. Makes our very controlled, professional win even more impressive.

Post #555173  Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:37 pm 

I think we’ve maybe been too harsh on some of the reserves, we judge them playing in a mix and match team without match sharpness. What we really need is for them to be able to slot in to the first 11 and perform. Nelson came up with the goods last week, Vieira looked better and contributed a vital assist today. I’d hope when Jesus needs a rest that Nketiah can do the same when he’s flanked by the rest of the first team.

Post #555174  Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:39 pm 

Might sound greedy but it doesn’t feel huge fair that we’re ‘only’ 7 and 8 points clear of 3rd and 4th. We’ve been nothing short of spectacular this season and the level of performance we’ve had compared to some of those teams chasing us is far bigger than just 8 points

Post #555175  Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:41 pm 

Defence was brilliant again. Also notice the block by Gabriel to get Saliba out of trouble for that poor back pass. Gabriel has taken some stick this season but his role is different to Saliba’s, he’s the aggressor - for me he’s been just as good as Saliba and it’s moments like that today that prove it.

Post #555176  Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:58 pm 

Rich wrote:
Might sound greedy but it doesn’t feel huge fair that we’re ‘only’ 7 and 8 points clear of 3rd and 4th. We’ve been nothing short of spectacular this season and the level of performance we’ve had compared to some of those teams chasing us is far bigger than just 8 points

If you take our points average and multiply by 38, we're on pace for 100 points this season. That's the level we've been playing at.

Post #555177  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:26 am 

Happy for Willock to score the winner for Newcastle. And his game is maturing very well there. :58big-emoticons:

Post #555178  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:30 am 

https://twitter.com/laythy29/status/159 ... ive-points

I like this tweet
Come on you sour grapes, try to damp our celebrations

Post #555179  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:52 am 

My guess is the players weren't thinking title challenge for most of the season. The fans weren't thinking it. We were/are thinking top 4. In interviews Arteta never talked about it. His stated goal was back to Champions league football. The closest he got to title challenge language was we try to win 'every 3 days'.

I would find it very unlikely that even after being top of the table for the past few weeks the lads are thinking title challenge. For one it was way too early in the season and second, the main top four challengers were way too close in points.

However, with last nights win, City's loss and the amount of confidence they must have gotten after these games, I'd now be surprised if they weren't thinking 'what if' , 'what about' and if we go into the new year doing well, think 'why not?'

City will have to start considering us title challengers. 5 points ahead is a huge psychological boost. We are also about double digits ahead of the rest of the field more or less so the threat of the top 4 challengers has gone down a lot. Beating Liverpool, Chelsea and Tottenham probably sealed it.

As a fan, I'm not going to let myself think about that yet. At least out loud. I think like a lot of fans, I just want us to take one league game at a time.

Post #555180  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:54 am 

Rich wrote:
Defence was brilliant again. Also notice the block by Gabriel to get Saliba out of trouble for that poor back pass. Gabriel has taken some stick this season but his role is different to Saliba’s, he’s the aggressor - for me he’s been just as good as Saliba and it’s moments like that today that prove it.

The only stick Gabriel has had was his being a hot head. Form wise the back line has been brilliant as a collective.

Post #555181  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:02 am 

Rich wrote:

After these many games its great! We are 8 points ahead of Tottenham with a game in hand. They are going to Brentford and hosting Villa and away at a London derby at Selhurst park before they play us. They will likely drop points and make it officially double digits behind us by game time.

Man Utd have 23 points to our 37 and they have a game in hand. They win it and its still 11 points behind. They are at Fulham who may be tough for them to beat, home to Forest and away to Wolves, those are tough game s to leave with all the points. Chelsea are in 8th now, same number of games, 16 points behind. Tottenham, Newcastle and I'd say Liverpool are the top 4 challengers. I'd put more money on Liverpool making more of a threat week in, week out than Man Utd. More than a third of the season gone and its beyond our wildest expectations in pre-season.

Lets enjoy it and hope it lasts.

Post #555182  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:14 am 

The only game we’ve got more than we probably deserved from it was the 3 points at Leeds. On the balance of play and chances Leeds deserved a point there. But every other game we’ve dominated more than enough to deserve our victory. And in the two games we dropped points we could point to a decisive early var decision v Man U and a ref in the saints game who refused to give us a penalty and properly punish some fouls by Southampton.

Compare that to the rest….

Post #555183  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:58 am 

This is an interesting interview with Jack Wilshire about being the coach of the under 18's at Arsenal. He's more composed than i remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIgco8RwwEA

Great win yesterday. I was a little anxious how they would perform a week before the start of the World Cup (absolutely ridiculous situation) but credit to the team who after a slow start grew into the game and thoroughly deserved the victory. What an unbelievable start to the season. Who knows what will happen after the World Cup but if the Kroenke's are serious about Arsenal, they must further stregnthen the team in January.

Post #555184  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:26 am 

Enjoy the great Dowse of Dartford after our loss at Farnborough!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRMjiCzMlUA

Post #555185  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:32 am 

We’ve only played 6 at home, 8 away. All of City, spurs, Liverpool and Newcastle have played 8 at home.
We have a 100% record at home.
We have a 7 point lead if just away games count

Post #555186  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:45 am 

Rich wrote:
We’ve only played 6 at home, 8 away. All of City, spurs, Liverpool and Newcastle have played 8 at home.
We have a 100% record at home.
We have a 7 point lead if just away games count

Also saw yesterday that City have only played two games against the big six, winning one. We've played four, winning three. Don't think there's any argument to be made about our easy schedule anymore. Even if you add the postponed game against City and we lose that one, we're still top of the league.

Post #555187  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:20 am 

I think the average age of our team is going completely under the radar. You do occasionally see the average age table for each team but I don’t see it mentioned much when pundits talk about how well we’re playing.

Post #555188  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:36 am 

If we finished runner up, I'd be happy as pie. If we make it close, I'd be happier. I dare not think about a title until March if we are very close or still ahead and its after we have played most of the top 6.

Normally, you aren't this far ahead of the top 6 (City aside) this early. We are in an excellent position. Great season to build on if we maintain, stay healthy and buy wisely so we have back ups in key areas.

Post #555189  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:44 pm 

There’s a landmark for me that we need to pass for me to start to dream of being champions and that’s even if City win all of their remaining games it’s out of their hands. Atm, as tenuous as this is, because we have to play City twice if they win all of their games they will finish top. Psychologically, for me at least, being able to lose to them twice and still be clear would be huge. We might not get that of course and we could still win by a point, but for City that stat of it NOT being in their hands, arbitrary as it is, would be significant I think. Bit more time and see where we are halfway. But I’m a few steps away from thinking we might actually win this thing.

Post #555190  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:52 pm 

To push on in January and keep our “league winning momentum” that we undeniably have at the moment we need a few things.

One is Partey coming back fit. He’s come back from internationals before looking off the pace and you can totally foresee that here. But if Ghana don’t go too far, he can meet up with the squad in Dubai and play a friendly or two I think he’ll be grand.

Two, squad additions. Of most importance is Partey, I don’t know even the first thing about Danilo but he seems like the choice to fill Partey’s role. Secondly Mudryk or whoever to fill in across the front three. If we got Mudryk or someone to play both wings, could Martinelli play through the middle for Jesus if needed? The striker one is more difficult and I think we need Eddie to step it up ala end of last season and Jesus to stay available for as much as possible.

Vieira coming in for the Xhaka role yesterday was huge and he had a poor first half but a great second half in moments and the crucial first goal break though. He hopefully can have something of a preseason over Christmas and start to really add to this squad.

Lastly everyone staying fit for every game!!!

All those things and we win it.

1)Partey comes back fit.
2) midfielder and a winger in.
3) Vieira and Eddie step up.
4) not too many injuries.

*Honourable mention to contract extensions to Saliba Saka and Martinelli.

If we get most of those things, we win this, we go into champions league as champions and this project officially goes supernova.

Post #555191  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:46 pm 

Ash wrote:
There’s a landmark for me that we need to pass for me to start to dream of being champions and that’s even if City win all of their remaining games it’s out of their hands. Atm, as tenuous as this is, because we have to play City twice if they win all of their games they will finish top. Psychologically, for me at least, being able to lose to them twice and still be clear would be huge. We might not get that of course and we could still win by a point, but for City that stat of it NOT being in their hands, arbitrary as it is, would be significant I think. Bit more time and see where we are halfway. But I’m a few steps away from thinking we might actually win this thing.

Ash I think that’s premature thinking mate. It’s only logical to get excited but I’m trying to contain my excitement personally

We’re doing superbly but could finish first or fifth it’s still to early.

Like I said last week. January mate, Newcastle, Tottenham, united. If we are still top after those 3 consecutive fixtures I will believe. If we get past 20 games played and we’re top then anything is possible

Post #555192  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:48 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Ash wrote:

Ash I think that’s premature thinking mate. It’s only logical to get excited but I’m trying to contain my excitement personally

Like I said last week. January mate, Newcastle, Tottenham, united. If we are still top after those 3 consecutive fixtures I will believe. If we get past 20 games played and we’re top then anything is possible

:laughing7: Yeah, I’m not quite there yet, but I can see it wouldn’t take much for me to get there. Re my second post if we get those things and we’re still top end of Jan, I’ll be there with bells on.

Post #555193  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:21 pm 

Ash wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

:laughing7: Yeah, I’m not quite there yet, but I can see it wouldn’t take much for me to get there. Re my second post if we get those things and we’re still top end of Jan, I’ll be there with bells on.

:laughing7: There’s nothing wrong with it. if you can’t enjoy things right now you never will. In the later wenger years I stopped going to the Arsenal because I got so fed up with the mismanagement, I never thought I’d be back going to every home game like I am. Loving the football right now

On your 2nd post I’d suggest 2 things are key. keeping players fit without injury is critical but I think we need a new signing in January to play in the front 3. Without that I don’t really think we will avoid a situation last year when we ran out of steam. Just a feeling

Post #555194  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:32 pm 

Also ffs put Fabio Vieira on a non stop diet of steak and kidney pudding and chips served with pints of shepherds neame bishops finger and tell him hit the gym.

The football intelligence is there but he needs to bulk up. I don’t think it’s a Pépé situation but he’s not quite doing it

Post #555195  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:05 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Fifth would be disastrous from where we are. That usually means somewhere around or slightly below 70 points, which would mean maybe 32-33 points in our remaining 24 games, that's midtable form for an extended period.

I still make Man City favorites for the league, but I'd be disappointed if we finish worse than 2nd place. Tottenham are mediocre, Chelsea and Man Utd rubbish, Liverpool is really the only team apart from Man City I could consider better than us but they've given us a 15 point cushion.

Post #555196  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:50 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Also ffs put Fabio Vieira on a non stop diet of steak and kidney pudding and chips served with pints of shepherds neame bishops finger and tell him hit the gym.

The football intelligence is there but he needs to bulk up. I don’t think it’s a Pépé situation but he’s not quite doing it

I was really surprised when he came on as the replacement for Xhaka. I would have instinctively thought of Elneny at that point. It kind of worked out though. It should have been a good development game for Vieira.

Post #555197  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:54 pm 

Willian has done more running and put in more effort in this one game for Fulham than he did his entire stint with us.

Post #555198  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:08 pm 

Prediction: Cristiano will be in a LA Galaxy or an Inter Miami kit within 18 months.

Post #555199  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:21 pm 

D@mn it! :36angers:

Post #555200  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:22 pm 

Literally the last kick of the frigging game. Doh!

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13877, 13878, 13879, 13880, 13881, 13882, 13883 ... 14269  Next