Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris and 351 guests

Post #548481  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:54 am 

kiwipete wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
He could be the man for a waterlogged pitch?
? Bit like Steve Williams , sodden drenched downcast waterlogged leading us off after a 1-0 loss v York City in God Knows when 83 ? Having said that I liked Steve Williams he was a top of the line midfielder in the Souness Ball Hibbit Mackay Gemmill mould ... talented provider and a bit of a hard arse . Par for the course I guess in those days when men were men These days the recipient copping a kick in the shin ; does five hundred forward rolls screaming and clutching his throat .
Hi Kiwi - yes a lot has changed since we saw our first Arsenal match. Overall it is good that the skillful guys are more protected than before - imagine how many more goals Pele would have scored if freed from the hatchet men, who I also enjoyed greatly - Hunter, Bremner, Smith, Chopper Harris, but Storey remains one of my favourites - cold-eyed like Lauren but with a better record - prison that is.

Williams played in an era when football was a lower priority for me, so didn't see him much. Not sure, but I think Bernard rates him.

Enjoy this from Joe and the ladies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dghT8X2kD30

Post #548482  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:09 am 

kiwipete wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
I don't blame any player getting as much as he can.

What sort of values have you got you Old Poofter ... Elvis Presley Johnny Cash Roy Orbison should desert Sam Phillips when some label offered $30 more a week. No wonder the world has gone to cack when you espouse such values ... we should applaud guys like Tony Adams Billy Bonds Matt Le Tisseur blokes who could have gone somewhere but stayed .
I do agree about those players you mention - all genuine icons of the clubs they represented and true giants. Sometimes see Billy at Bluewater Shopping Centr, where he is always approached by Hammers fans for a chat, which he is happy to do. I would add Elliott Bradbrook and the Immortal Danny Harris to the list - both turned down Bernabeu to stay at Princes Park, the Home of Football.

Difference between now and then is that the whole of the top-level of the game is marinaded in money - everyone is on the gravy train, so I have to back the players getting their share.

Post #548483  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:38 am 

kiwipete wrote:

? Bit like Steve Williams , sodden drenched downcast waterlogged leading us off after a 1-0 loss v York City in God Knows when 83 ?

Errr....it was 1985 and the pitch was rock hard due to sub-zero weather conditions.

Steve Williams did play but he wasn't Captain. The score was indeed 1-0 to York.

2 out of 5 facts correct, so 40% right - not bad for you KP.

Post #548484  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:22 pm 

socrates wrote:
Can anyone explain the rationale behind making this bid for Raphina so public?. We've obviously fed the info to our resident mouthpiece David Ornstein but how does making the info public help us?

We might be trying to get someone else and this is deflection to either drive the price down make people look away from the real target.

Post #548485  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:24 pm 

DHD wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

? Bit like Steve Williams , sodden drenched downcast waterlogged leading us off after a 1-0 loss v York City in God Knows when 83 ?

Errr....it was 1985 and the pitch was rock hard due to sub-zero weather conditions.

Steve Williams did play but he wasn't Captain. The score was indeed 1-0 to York.

:laughing7: you looked it up you poser ...no way your memory recalled that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw3CemSTctA

Post #548486  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:29 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
I suggest you not ask a question about a name like Jesus. Because there is a history of that story not going well.

:laughing7: :laughing7:

Post #548487  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:35 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
What sort of values have you got you Old Poofter ... Elvis Presley Johnny Cash Roy Orbison should desert Sam Phillips when some label offered $30 more a week. No wonder the world has gone to cack when you espouse such values ... we should applaud guys like Tony Adams Billy Bonds Matt Le Tisseur blokes who could have gone somewhere but stayed .
I do agree about those players you mention - all genuine icons of the clubs they represented and true giants. Sometimes see Billy at Bluewater Shopping Centr, where he is always approached by Hammers fans for a chat, which he is happy to do. I would add Elliott Bradbrook and the Immortal Danny Harris to the list - both turned down Bernabeu to stay at Princes Park, the Home of Football.

Difference between now and then is that the whole of the top-level of the game is marinaded in money - everyone is on the gravy train, so I have to back the players getting their share.

footballers and gravy train ... should a Lacazette or Özil be getting twenty times more a week wandering around producing f***ck all than the guy who repairs your ruptured water pipe not in my book . Danny Harris ? you mean Chopper ...

Have this to get on with ...... I never liked him , trying to sound like Eddie Cochrane https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewev8c-zNl8

Post #548488  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:59 pm 

DHD wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Me and my brother went to that game at York. From memory Keith Houchen scored their winner with a penalty. I’m sure he scored for Coventry in their 1987 cup final win against Tottenham so I forgave him for it.

Post #548489  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:05 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
socrates wrote:
Can anyone explain the rationale behind making this bid for Raphina so public?. We've obviously fed the info to our resident mouthpiece David Ornstein but how does making the info public help us?

We might be trying to get someone else and this is deflection to either drive the price down make people look away from the real target.

Or I’ve read that Barca are Raphinha’s preferred choice and even Chelsea might be interested and ahead of us. If we suspect we’ll get outbid by those two we make our pursuit quite load to force them to come to the table or not. If they don’t Raphinha knows they aren’t interested in him, if they do and he chooses them then we can move on to other targets rather than sitting around waiting for CL clubs to do their bidding and trying to pick up what’s left.

Post #548490  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:07 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
footballers and gravy train ... should a Lacazette or Özil be getting twenty times more a week wandering around producing f***ck all than the guy who repairs your ruptured water pipe not in my book . Danny Harris ? you mean Chopper ...

Have this to get on with ...... I never liked him , trying to sound like Eddie Cochrane https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewev8c-zNl8
Very good track - I love that guitar sound. As you say Cochraneish, which can't be bad.

Post #548491  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:19 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
DHD wrote:

:laughing7: you looked it up you poser ...no way your memory recalled that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw3CemSTctA

I remember it quite well actually KP, in particular the way the ball bounced like a golf ball hitting concrete. The only thing I had to look up was who was Captain - Kenny Samson.

Thanks for the link though, painful as it was to watch it all again. It was pretty obvious that our lot just didn't fancy it. Unfortunately, York did.

Post #548492  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:05 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Just read that Gabriel Jesus offer from us provides a wage per week of 280k quid ish. This makes him our best paid player by miles on more than Kane per week.

No way he isn’t turning up at Arsenal now. It makes other transfers unfeasible. If it’s right or wrong is another thing

How much! Has the prospect of distorting the squad, and has shades of Özil and Aubameyang about it.

Three times as much as he got at Man City, and a mega transfer fee too. Not great optics.

Post #548493  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:09 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

? Bit like Steve Williams , sodden drenched downcast waterlogged leading us off after a 1-0 loss v York City in God Knows when 83 ? Having said that I liked Steve Williams he was a top of the line midfielder in the Souness Ball Hibbit Mackay Gemmill mould ... talented provider and a bit of a hard arse .
Par for the course I guess in those days when men were men These days the recipient copping a kick in the shin ; does five hundred forward rolls screaming and clutching his throat .

Eh?

Not my recollection, and I was at that game. Bone dry, freezing cold, and like a skating rink.

EDIT I see from other replies that Kiwi’s erroneous memory has been commented upon.

Post #548494  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:27 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Just read that Gabriel Jesus offer from us provides a wage per week of 280k quid ish. This makes him our best paid player by miles on more than Kane per week.

No way he isn’t turning up at Arsenal now. It makes other transfers unfeasible. If it’s right or wrong is another thing

How much! Has the prospect of distorting the squad, and has shades of Özil and Aubameyang about it.

Three times as much as he got at Man City, and a mega transfer fee too. Not great optics.

They ain’t cheap strikers

He’s leaving a champions league title winning club to join us ! It had to be attractive

Btw I did something similar once and asked a new company to increase my salary by a third to join them. They obliged. Don’t ask don’t get is my motto !!!

Post #548495  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:47 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

He’s leaving a champions league title winning club to join us ! It had to be attractive

Btw I did something similar once and asked a new company to increase my salary by a third to join them. They obliged. Don’t ask don’t get is my motto !!!

Is he a striker though? Is it worth upsetting the balance of pay?

Post #548496  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:00 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Is he a striker though? Is it worth upsetting the balance of pay?

For him personally absolutely :laughing7:

He’s better than what we had last season and impressed in several games toward the end for city. He doesn’t look a transformational signing aka world class but he does move the needle.the alternative seems spending 85 million on Abraham or The Napoli bloke who will also ask for the same money. Filthy business, wish I was a footballer

Post #548497  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:37 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Not quite the same. Increasing your salary by a third is a 33.33% raise. If Jesus is going up from £90k to £280k a week, as LTG implied as a ball park figure that’s over three times more than he got at City. It actually represents a pay increase for him of 311.11%, not 33.33%z

Post #548498  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:20 pm 

Assuming it is true and going to happen. I'm worried about Jesus coming with a huge wage package. We have been burnt 3 times already with this scenario.

And echo those who worry about the balance of pay in the club.

Post #548499  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:03 pm 

Leeds want close to £65M for Raphinha it seems. So Arsenal do want both Jesus and Raphinha.
Plot thickens.

Post #548500  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:15 pm 

Zed wrote:
Leeds want close to £65M for Raphinha it seems. So Arsenal do want both Jesus and Raphinha.
Plot thickens.

I am getting increasingly concerned about our play being too one dimensional. The best sides often have a clear balance between players of different types. If we get these players, it looks a bit ‘all the same’. One could say peak Barcelona were an exception. Yet we don’t have players comparable to Messi, Iniesta and Xavi. Even they had Busquets in midfield.

Post #548501  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:09 pm 

Norton-Cuffy playing for the Eng U19's now, just provided an assist. His athletic and physical profile means he adapted to men's football really well at Lincoln. We were linked with this Djed Spence guy but I can see why the club might wait for Cédric's deal to end and promote Norton-Cuffy instead. White and Saliba can both cover RB as well

Post #548502  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:23 pm 

I've read that Jesus wage is more like £220k per week. Partey is our current top earner at £200k per week. Then we drop down to Pépé at £140k and a whole host of players around the £100k mark, some of which are likely to leave like Leno and Bellerin.

Clearly setting the bar up at £200k ish is going to mean our very best players (Like Saka) will use that as a benchmark for any new deals. But I don't think giving Jesus £220k per week at 25 is in the same ballpark as the £350k per week contracts handed out to Özil and Aubameyang who were more than likley going to decline due to their age (a similar argument could be made for Willian as well)

Post #548503  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:53 pm 

Have to say I'm impressed with the job Edu has done since he came on. The squad overhaul we've done in the last few years was well handled, and the way we're building our new squad is really exciting - there is a vision abehind the signings we're making, and it comes across very well in the interviews I've seen with him. It's nice to see the club acting with clear direction, and everyone seems to be on the same page about what that direction is.

Post #548504  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:19 pm 

There continues to be really strong links to Jesus, Raphinha and Martinez. If I was to guess, I'd say those three are our remaining signings this window, and after that I would only expect us to look at selling some players who are surplus to requirement (Pépé, Torreira and Bellerin being the main ones).

I would also try to sell Holding - good player and an excellent pro, but he's not a player who should be starting too many games, and with Gabriel, White, Saliba and Martinez, and Tomiyasu being very comfortable at CB we don't really need Holding. 26 years old, English and signed long term, we could be looking at a decent fee for him.

Of the players linked to us, Tielemans is looking the most unlikely at this point. The links have gone a bit cold, and with Martinez being able to play DM and Vieira being viewed as a potential no 8, perhaps Edu and Arteta are content with the options we have in central midfield.

Post #548505  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:41 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
I suggest you not ask a question about a name like Jesus. Because there is a history of that story not going well.

:12hello-bye:

Post #548506  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:45 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

A champions league title winning club. Really! Are you 100% sure.

Post #548507  Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:01 am 

A friend sent me this story about Mané and his charity work.

https://huddleup.substack.com/p/sadio-m ... us-athlete

This was a great story and I have a lot of respect for him after reading this.

Post #548508  Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:15 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

me too

was he handing an oblique criticism of Aubameyang when he mentioned cars and watches?

Post #548509  Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:31 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

me too

was he handing an oblique criticism of Aubameyang when he mentioned cars and watches?

And about 200 other footballers

Post #548510  Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:44 am 

Viera announced

Post #548511  Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:53 am 

Hazuki wrote:
There continues to be really strong links to Jesus, Raphinha and Martinez. If I was to guess, I'd say those three are our remaining signings this window, and after that I would only expect us to look at selling some players who are surplus to requirement (Pépé, Torreira and Bellerin being the main ones).

I would also try to sell Holding - good player and an excellent pro, but he's not a player who should be starting too many games, and with Gabriel, White, Saliba and Martinez, and Tomiyasu being very comfortable at CB we don't really need Holding. 26 years old, English and signed long term, we could be looking at a decent fee for him.

Of the players linked to us, Tielemans is looking the most unlikely at this point. The links have gone a bit cold, and with Martinez being able to play DM and Vieira being viewed as a potential no 8, perhaps Edu and Arteta are content with the options we have in central midfield.

There appear to be growing links between Martinez and Manchester United too, with ten Hag giving them the advantage. If we do get him, it’s an interesting buy. Top Gun mentioned him being short, at 5 ft 9 ins, for a Premier League central defender. I know Martinez can cover other positions but I do see Top Gun’s point.

Should he go to Manchester United and our only forwards next season are Jesus, Nketiah and Balogun, I wouldn’t expect us to expose his lack of height when they play us. But there are plenty of Premier League sides where that may not be the case.

If we do get Martinez, it’s an interesting idea to sell Holding. I fully accept what you say about him being a good professional but not quite the standard to be a regular starter for us. Also with him being English and at his peak (27th birthday is approaching, in September) we should get more than a decent fee for him. If we do get Martinez and sell Holding, I won’t be delighted or livid. I won’t even be pleased or sad. I’ll just wait and see how well the decision works out.

Post #548512  Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:11 am 

One for the conspiracy theorists but two of Gabriel Jesus’s closest friends have just followed Arsenal on Instagram. Arsenal Twitter remains undefeated in its detective work.

Post #548513  Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:34 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Viera announced

Hi Gaz, was announced a few days back.
Did you just come down from the mountain after a 10-day trek? :42laughter:

Post #548514  Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:39 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Viera announced

Hi Gaz, was announced a few days back.
Did you just come down from the mountain after a 10-day trek? :42laughter:

All those years with Paddy. Now his namesake. And still his name gets spelled wrongly. Up there with Wiltshire. :laughing7:

Post #548515  Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:24 am 

Christopher Nkunku extends his contract with RB Leipzig until June 2026, deal now signed and sealed. Release clause of 60m euros, quite a low release clause and I suspect if he does anything like he did last year for goals and assists someone will be triggering that clause pretty soon

Post #548516  Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:29 am 

Bernard wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

There appear to be growing links between Martinez and Manchester United too, with ten Hag giving them the advantage. If we do get him, it’s an interesting buy. Top Gun mentioned him being short, at 5 ft 9 ins, for a Premier League central defender. I know Martinez can cover other positions but I do see Top Gun’s point.

Should he go to Manchester United and our only forwards next season are Jesus, Nketiah and Balogun, I wouldn’t expect us to expose his lack of height when they play us. But there are plenty of Premier League sides where that may not be the case.

If we do get Martinez, it’s an interesting idea to sell Holding. I fully accept what you say about him being a good professional but not quite the standard to be a regular starter for us. Also with him being English and at his peak (27th birthday is approaching, in September) we should get more than a decent fee for him. If we do get Martinez and sell Holding, I won’t be delighted or livid. I won’t even be pleased or sad. I’ll just wait and see how well the decision works out.

Hi Both,

I was wary when seeing Martinez was only 5ft 9" but (and I know stats aren't everything) there are stats that shows he wins more headers per game and a higher percentage of headers per game than Pau Torres (another CB linked with moves to the prem) who is 6ft 2.
By all accounts Martinez is an incredibly combative player and I've seen people liken his aerial ability to other shorter CB like Ayala and Cannavaro. Must have a very good leap and timing.

However, if there is any league where your height is exposed it is the Prem.

Martinez is also a very dependable left back - from what I've seen he'd be technically the most adept defender we have at the club as his ability on the ball is more akin to a midfielder

Post #548517  Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:34 am 

Worth noting that Martinelli and Saliba count as home grown players for the quota. Prem teams can have no more than 17 'foreign' players which is sometimes the easier way of looking at the home grown quota.

Martinelli and Saliba were both registered at Arsenal for 3 years before their 21st birthday so they count - in the same way Bellerin does.

Home grown:
Ramsdale
Holding
White
Saliba
Emile Smith Rowe
Saka
Nketiah
Martinelli
That is a good group of home grown players who are all young enough and should be with us for a number of years

Post #548518  Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:18 am 

It seems like not enough is being made of Chelsea buying Lukaku for £100m and 1 season later sending him on loan for £8m fee. I've long felt that teams who regularly spend huge amounts on players get away without the grilling when large numbers of those high price signings fail, but when we've done the same on a much smaller selection of high price players it is remembered more because we do it less frequently.

In a similar note not much said about Spurs buying Gil for £23m+Lamella and shipping him out on loan when he was nowhere near good enough. Ndombele at £60m is another under the radar flop.....and Lo Celso, Spurs paid a £14m loan fee and then a further £28m to make it permanent and he's out on loan.

Spurs have bought pretty poorly in the past 4 years or so, they're still being propped up by Son and Kane. Kulusevsi and Romerso look good loans/buys but they still need to pay the £75m to make those deals permanent.

Post #548519  Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:42 am 

When a new player comes there’s a tendency to over focus on the salary being reported. They all get paid a fortune these days no point analysing it.

Gabriel Jesus is an exciting signing for Arsenal his form towards the end of the season was impressive. There’s no doubt he will improve us. He’s a better option than any of the strikers we had at the club last year. When’s signing a new striker not been exciting?

Post #548520  Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:10 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

I'd stick with Holding. He hasn't let us down and at 5'9" Martinez is too short. Martinet can play CM as well I have read

[ 571948 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13710, 13711, 13712, 13713, 13714, 13715, 13716 ... 14299  Next