Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 122 guests

Post #472521  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:07 am 

We need at least one more key player in. This one to replace the creativity we have been missing since Santi got injured. Come on Wenger, close this one out fast.

Post #472522  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:11 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:
But do we want a like for like player to replace him? Let's be brutally frank, we didn't look like winning the title even when he used to play, however fine a player he was. So might it be better to replace him with a different type of player? I know Xhaka is a big bloke, but I wouldn't mind someone with more physical presence than Cazorla being brought in to replace him and that's why I wasn't upset when I saw Carvalho being rumoured as a target. He's okay with the ball, but I'd describe him as efficient in possession rather than brilliant and I wouldn't lose any sleep with the idea of Xhaka and Carvalho (or someone like him) playing alongside each other. He certainly doesn't have the skill of Cazorla. But there again with Özil, and if we do sign Mahrez, isn't that all the creativity we'll be likely to need rather than someone who might just do the same, even if it's to the same standard, as Cazorla?

We saw a difference when the three at the back was introduced. Perhaps what Arsenal need most is another change further up the pitch, rather than trying to find someone with "the same overall abilities" which, as you suggest, may "cost a mint."

I have trouble identifying someone currently at the club who can play near the Santi position and give the forward passes and the killer ball that opens up defences. I had hopes of Campbell but obviously Wenger did not see the same positives. Too many current players who spend most of the game with safe sideways or backward passes and often whilst they do this the opposing defence pours back. Maybe as you speculate playing with the back 3 may change a few things. Players will need to perform this year because I think all goodwill has been used up with a large number of the supporter base.

Has Campbell definitely moved on? We waited years before he finally got his work permit. He was fairly consistent for us, and even showed better penetration than Walcott. Just too bad he isn't French or British. Wenger does favour his French players too much.

Post #472523  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:27 am 

https://www.arsenal.com/news/mertesacke ... al-academy

excellent news. Per is a great person to keep around the club.
And with Jens joining the backroom staff excellent news too.
Important to keep these characters/leaders as part of the backroom team and overseeing other roles.

Post #472524  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:34 am 

david.d wrote:
https://www.arsenal.com/news/mertesacker-lead-arsenal-academy

Important to keep these characters/leaders as part of the backroom team and overseeing other roles.

indeed David, brilliant news, BFG is a total legend, good to have mad Jens on board as well, maybe Wenger has been listening after all....

Post #472525  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:06 pm 

tomc wrote:
david.d wrote:
https://www.arsenal.com/news/mertesacker-lead-arsenal-academy

indeed David, brilliant news, BFG is a total legend, good to have mad Jens on board as well, maybe Wenger has been listening after all....

1st time AW has been directly involved in a major decision around the academy........

Post #472526  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:24 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Morning socrates. Without getting involved in the debate over the Premiership's best midfielder, what I would say is that in my view the biggest example of an Arsenal midfielder dominating a Manchester United midfield was Petit in the 0-1 win at Old Trafford when Overmars scored. It must have been the 1997/98 season. Think it was the game where that bloke in the away section was televised doing his famous 'yeeees' celebration when we scored, or was it at the end of the game? From memory Vieira didn't even play that day so he wasn't there to help Petit. But Petit was simply masterful without him and pretty well ran the show on his own. Or that's my memory of it anyway.
Vieira played. Starting line-ups that day:

Manninger; Dixon; Adams; Keown; Winterburn; Paddy; Petit; Parlour; Overmars; Dennis and Wreh.

Schmeichel; Irwin; Berg; Johnsen; Gary Neville; Curtis; Phil Neville; Scholes; Beckham; Sheringham and Cole.

And Keane was out injured for that game (and most of the season--after the infamous Håland tackle). Just saying ...

Post #472527  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:55 pm 

HoddGooner wrote:
tomc wrote:

1st time AW has been directly involved in a major decision around the academy........

Is that a good thing Hodd?

Post #472528  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:11 pm 

john1 wrote:
HoddGooner wrote:

No comment.... my new, very much improved, contract says I can't

Post #472529  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:30 pm 

HoddGooner wrote:
john1 wrote:

Fair enough - congrats on the new contract.

Post #472530  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:19 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Well I couldn't drill down to that detail in the site I had. I take it you have confidence that he will go well in the EPL.

I haven't seen him play much, so I wouldn't say I'm that confident, more hopeful. There's a lot about Lacazette that makes me think he'll be a big improvement on what we have. And I do like both Giroud and Welbeck, so it's not just that I'd see anyone rather than them.

Post #472531  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:10 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
yeah , yeah I can see it now ; Mr Hardarse Redneck Townsville Boy all primed for action ., waiting outside the ground , Arsenal team coach rolls in .

.... deep breath .. " Okay here we go , I'll tell this little pr*ck what I think of him .....useless t***ser "

. er ahhmmm yes ....... ahmmm . " Theo , Theo .... any chance of an autograph mate .....? "

" Glad you signed the new contract Arsene "

[a] *%^@ you nailed me straight away. Am I that transparent.

[b] In all seriousness do you believe Theo has a place in the team if we play 3 at the back?

[c] Just spent a couple of hours at the V8's practice sessions.

[d]Only about 27 degress outside but jeez the humidity is about 70-80% which for winter is not the usual.

[a] Yes ..... :icon_mrgreen:

[b] Yes again ...... there is a tendency to say when Theo's playing it was like our ten against their eleven but don't forget other teams have their "passengers" as well .... Rooney for starters .
I like the old Tommy Docherty philosophy , have plenty of quality attackers on the field so the other team is full bore on defence and our three men don't have much to worry about .

[c] Good stuff .... the daughter and I went to the last Hamilton 400 ... we had a brilliant spot on Empire Street ... the cars appeared around this slight curve then turned a 90 degree and thundered off ... the sound of them changing down and booting it ; a beautiful thunderous cacophony of noise that Beethoven would have struggled to match and what disappoints me it never comes thjrough on the television . Might write to Neil Compton suggesting they put a a mike near the tailpipe because inside or out there is never a V8 sound .
The humidity ..... :blob9: My son and I were more comfortable working in Blackwater at 42 degrees than at Gove in 31 .. because of the humidity .. 30 % versus 95 % .
The latter , change your shirt five times a day ... pants soaked .... one thing I don't miss about Oz is that stinking ever present heat .

Post #472532  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:14 pm 

Mahrez looks like a non event which I think is a good thing at the prices currently being quoted.Give them 10mil + Theo.

Post #472533  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:17 pm 

HoddGooner wrote:
john1 wrote:

Ooooooh you little temptress ... like Marlene Dietrich whispering from behind a sheer curtain .

Arsene .... " ahhh Lauren , Steve , Ivan , Stan could you guys grab a cup of coffee , I want to ask Hodd for his thoughts on Lacazette " :icon_mrgreen:

Post #472534  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:30 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Mahrez looks like a non event which I think is a good thing at the prices currently being quoted.Give them 10mil + Theo.

Would Walcott want to go to Leicester . After their brief nova of success , Leicester seems likely to settle back into obscurity from whence they came ; not much of an attraction .

Hasn't Theo just signed a new contract , he'll be with us for another couple of years then probably do a stint with Southampton .

Both with a ton of pace I've got hopes he and Lacazette might combine well .

Post #472535  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:16 pm 

Who is the only player in English football to captain a title winning side in 3 different decades?

Post #472536  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:18 pm 

Hmm....not liking how this is looking.

http://dailycannon.com/2017/07/chelsea- ... oyed-them/
Chelsea could turn to Alexis Sanchez to replace Diego Costa if they miss out on Romelu Lukaku, according to reports.

Post #472537  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:20 pm 

I like that Mahrez is keen to join us.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/07/arsenal-t ... y-6763535/

Post #472538  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:31 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Who is the only player in English football to captain a title winning side in 3 different decades?

Too easy a question for this forum...

Post #472539  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:32 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
There are some sobering figures in this report regarding Santi's contribution compared to others at the club who might fill his position. None of the others have the same overall abilities. Simply I think we have to replace Santi and this will cost a mint.

http://eplindex.com/80317/arsenals-opti ... njury.html

Why do you think Wenger's after Lemar? Can play wide, can play at 10, can also play deep and pull the strings. A perfect replacement if he can develop his right foot more.

Post #472540  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:48 am 

Cant see Wenger doing it but Remi Garde suggests playing Giroud and Lacazette together.
http://dailycannon.com/2017/07/garde-la ... -together/

Post #472541  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:08 am 

john1 wrote:
HoddGooner wrote:

Fair enough - congrats on the new contract.

Cheers John

Post #472542  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:09 am 

kiwipete wrote:
HoddGooner wrote:

Ooooooh you little temptress ... like Marlene Dietrich whispering from behind a sheer curtain .

Arsene .... " ahhh Lauren , Steve , Ivan , Stan could you guys grab a cup of coffee , I want to ask Hodd for his thoughts on Lacazette " :icon_mrgreen:

:15laughter:

Post #472543  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:53 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Would Walcott want to go to Leicester . After their brief nova of success , Leicester seems likely to settle back into obscurity from whence they came ; not much of an attraction .

Hasn't Theo just signed a new contract , he'll be with us for another couple of years then probably do a stint with Southampton .

Both with a ton of pace I've got hopes he and Lacazette might combine well .

As to what Theo wants I don't care. I want him to put in an effort when he is selected for the team but he doesn't care, so I would call that about even.

Post #472544  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:54 am 

HoddGooner wrote:

Great to hear Hodd! :53big-emoticons:

Post #472545  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:55 am 

lomekian wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
There are some sobering figures in this report regarding Santi's contribution compared to others at the club who might fill his position. None of the others have the same overall abilities. Simply I think we have to replace Santi and this will cost a mint.

http://eplindex.com/80317/arsenals-opti ... njury.html

Why do you think Wenger's after Lemar? Can play wide, can play at 10, can also play deep and pull the strings. A perfect replacement if he can develop his right foot more.

I don't know much about Lemar but if those are his qualities he sounds as if he could be a what we require.

Post #472546  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:07 am 

Hey Kiwi,

Did you watch the rugby match? Sky completely lost the plot in terms of hype. Your lads were outstanding for 30mins but the number of knock-ons was ridiculous. Sort of fitting that the series (which has been hugely underwhelming) ended with a fudged refereeing call and a draw.

Post #472547  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:47 am 

How was that not a penalty for offside? He caught it so even if it was instinctive I think it's very harsh on the ABs. Felt sorry for Kieran Read but respect to him for his reaction on the pitch and let's face it, it kind of reverses a ton of dodgy decisions that often go their way.

Messy series, how they can keep pretending it was some kind of unforgettable we-were-there experience is really odd.

Post #472548  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:57 am 

Daz wrote:
How was that not a penalty for offside? He caught it so even if it was instinctive I think it's very harsh on the ABs. Felt sorry for Kieran Read but respect to him for his reaction on the pitch and let's face it, it kind of reverses a ton of dodgy decisions that often go their way.

Messy series, how they can keep pretending it was some kind of unforgettable we-were-there experience is really odd.

Scott Quinell should never be allowed in front to a mic again

Post #472549  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:01 am 

dec wrote:
Daz wrote:

Kieran Read's daughter should though, she was hilarious trying to drink the rain.

Post #472550  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:05 pm 

Daz wrote:
dec wrote:

Kieran Read's daughter should though, she was hilarious trying to drink the rain.

I.missed that. Switched off straight away as I couldn't take anymore. You are right. It was definite penalty.

Post #472551  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:29 pm 

Patrick Kluivert's son Justin is not too shabby for an 18 yo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRAzIlLiJu8

Post #472552  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:13 pm 

Alexis Sanchez edges closer to £50m Arsenal exit after agreeing terms with Manchester City

http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/08/alexis-sanchez-edges-closer-to-50m-arsenal-exit-after-agreeing-terms-with-manchester-city-6764703/

Post #472553  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:53 pm 

warrior wrote:
Alexis Sanchez edges closer to £50m Arsenal exit after agreeing terms with Manchester City

http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/08/alexis-sanchez-edges-closer-to-50m-arsenal-exit-after-agreeing-terms-with-manchester-city-6764703/

If Lukaku is worth £75m then surely Sanchez is worth more than that.

Should Wenger/Arsenal hold out for more?

Post #472554  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:12 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
warrior wrote:

Lukaku's four years younger, which will come into the equation. Having said that, Sanchez can control the ball which also comes into the equation.

If we get £50m for Sanchez, I don't think it's a bad price for a 28 year old who's only twelve months from a Bosman. I wonder if most big clubs would rather wait a season to get him for nothing. City are an exception because they're so stinking rich. By the way, on that very issue what happened to FFP? Looks like I was right when years ago I said it wouldn't have a material impact when many were hopeful about its long-term effects.

Post #472555  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:27 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
warrior wrote:

£50m now or nothing next summer? Too risky to delay. There is only one way to go - and I say Geronimo.

Post #472556  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:39 pm 

Bernard wrote:
If we get £50m for Sanchez, I don't think it's a bad price for a 28 year old who's only twelve months from a Bosman...
Yes, if it comes off not a bad deal at all in the circumstances. We can't force him to sign a new contract, and the rumoured 400k a week to get him to do so is obscene, so we let him go and make about £18m profit. His replacement Lacazette is a younger, quicker guy, who scores a goal roughly every other game. Seems good to me.

Post #472557  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:54 pm 

warrior wrote:

We're the City feeder club now. Nasri, Clichy, Adebayor? Wasn't sure if he went there first, he's been everywhere.

We should get money and a player. If not Aguero, then perhaps another player from a position we could stand to
strengthen.

Post #472558  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:19 pm 

dec wrote:
Hey Kiwi,

Did you watch the rugby match? Sky completely lost the plot in terms of hype. Your lads were outstanding for 30mins but the number of knock-ons was ridiculous. Sort of fitting that the series (which has been hugely underwhelming) ended with a fudged refereeing call and a draw.

yeah Dec ... I did as you rightly say very underwhelming ... a huge damp sqib of a series . refereeing decisions off the wall . The penalty to hand you guys the second test , the non penalty last night but that is no excuse ; we played very very poorly .
The amount of idiot flat passes thrown so our player collected the ball and two Lions at the same time was amazing .

Post #472559  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:46 pm 

Daz wrote:

Gidday Daz , totally agree on all counts ... our idiot commentators were saying what an exciting series .... really I thought it was f**&^ awful .
We made so many collective errors , a lack of brain cells was evident , the sending off , too much aimless kicking .

Last I couldn't help reflecting the loss of Carter , Mc Caw , Nonu and Conrad Smith all at the same time has finally come back to haunt us .

Post #472560  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:53 pm 

Bernard wrote:

By the way, on that very issue what happened to FFP? Looks like I was right when years ago I said it wouldn't have a material impact when many were hopeful about its long-term effects.

It went out the window when UEFA allowed both City and PSG to basically get sponsored by their owners, PSG's commercial revenue is up there with United and Real Madrid, when they have a fan base of probably one twentieth the size but apparently that is normal..

Anyway if it had gone to court the lawyers would have tied UEFA up in knots in fairness, this is why I said all along the self sustaining model was flawed in the modern game, Usmanov all the way!.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11811, 11812, 11813, 11814, 11815, 11816, 11817 ... 14269  Next