Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, gooner7, warrior and 132 guests

Post #550481  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:09 pm 

I think this first half illustrates some of the points I've made about Spurs. Conte has made them pretty tough to beat and he sets them up well against the big teams, but they're very one dimensional. They are now sitting back deep and playing on the counter even though they're 1-0 down, because that's really the only way they can play. They lack the ability and the players to dominate games, their defenders are poor on the ball and their central midfield is hugely lacking in creativity. With their front trio firing they can get 4th or even 3rd but they'll never reach higher than that with this squad and this set-up.

Post #550482  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:13 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
I don't really get Tuchel's insistence of playing a back five. They have the personell for a very good back four - James is one of the best right backs in the league, Thiago Silva and Koulibaly are excellent central defenders and both Chilwell and Cucurella are very good on the left. Their collection of central midfielders are among the best in Europe in my opinion, and with a combination of three of Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic and Gallagher they should be able to win the midfield battle against most teams and provide better support for their misfiring attackers.

Saying all that, and don’t forget Mount, Havertz and Sterling, I’m a little surprised you earlier said “Cheering a little bit for Chelsea today”. Myself, I think the best result for Arsenal would be a draw so they both drop points. So I hope Tottenham equalise.

The reason is I don't really see Chelsea being a confidence team in the way I think Tottenham might be. Chelsea will probably be in the fight for 3rd place regardless of how they do today because of the quality in their squad, I see Tottenham as a team more reliant on confidence so I don't won't them to build that right from the start of the season.

That being said, a draw would do just fine.

Post #550483  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:28 pm 

A draw is best with both sides dropping two points although it would be good to knock Tottenham’s confidence.

A couple of red cards would help. Or key players being crocked.

Post #550484  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:43 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
A draw is best with both sides dropping two points although it would be good to knock Tottenham’s confidence.

The ref is letting them kick lotus cheek around the park with impunity. I’ve counted at least 3 other tackles that should have had yellows too for spurs players.

All feels very familiar

Post #550485  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:46 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
I think this first half illustrates some of the points I've made about Spurs. Conte has made them pretty tough to beat and he sets them up well against the big teams, but they're very one dimensional. They are now sitting back deep and playing on the counter even though they're 1-0 down, because that's really the only way they can play. They lack the ability and the players to dominate games, their defenders are poor on the ball and their central midfield is hugely lacking in creativity. With their front trio firing they can get 4th or even 3rd but they'll never reach higher than that with this squad and this set-up.

Yes, and I think more teams will have learnt how to set up against Conte's Spurs after last season. If you do well more teams sit up and take notice and prepare more serious plans for you.
If you're a very good team then it makes little difference because you have an answer for any game plan against you, and for my money the very best teams go on the front foot and have attacking options and threats from all over the pitch - be that set pieces, crosses, tippy tappy, counter attacks, individual skill. City and Liverpool both have this, Spurs don't. They don't have enough creativity in their team to break down a deep block consistently and struggle to impose themselves in both possession and territory when they go behind in games away from home.
They're still a very effective and dangerous team and irrespective of today's result will be a huge threat to the top 4 places.

Post #550486  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:47 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

The ref is letting them kick lotus cheek around the park with impunity. I’ve counted at least 3 other tackles that should have had yellows too for spurs players.

All feels very familiar

Spurs seem to have a mental block with Chelsea - and they often lose their discipline if things don't go their way.

Conte has taken off his left wing back and bought on Richarlison. It is a bold move, lets see how Spurs cope moving out of their rigid structure and in to a more chaotic mode to try to get a point

Post #550487  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:48 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

It would take very particular (and extreme) circumstances for me to want Tottenham to win. Therefore I'm holding my nose and hoping for Chelsea to beat them.

Post #550488  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:52 pm 

Interesting, the comms have just said a new refs directive this season is there will be no warnings for time-wasting this season. It is a straight yellow card. Mendy has just been booked for time wasting.

I like that. If something is a yellow give it, don't let players have a few free ones and then give it.

Post #550489  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:56 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

It would take very particular (and extreme) circumstances for me to want Tottenham to win. Therefore I'm holding my nose and hoping for Chelsea to beat them.

Season ending injuries for Kane and Son but Spurs to score two late goals for the win - I assuem that is the kind of very particular circumstances you'd want?

Post #550490  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:58 pm 

How on earth is that not a free kick for Havertz?

Post #550491  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:58 pm 

1-1 now

and a scrap between the benches

Bentancur escapes a clear second yellow - what is it with Spurs and avoiding reds and yellows so consistently?

Post #550492  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:59 pm 

Rich wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Season ending injuries for Kane and Son but Spurs to score two late goals for the win - I assuem that is the kind of very particular circumstances you'd want?

I'd take that, yes. Or if a Tottenham win allowed us to leapfrog City or Liverpool to win the league.

Post #550493  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:02 pm 

Rich wrote:
1-1 now

Bentancur escapes a clear second yellow - what is it with Spurs and avoiding reds and yellows so consistently?

I for one hope it stays like that. A draw means two points dropped for both. That’s preferable to either side winning.

EDIT: Sod it. Chelsea have gone 2-1 up.

Post #550494  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:09 pm 

Not saying he should've saved that but I don't think Lloris is a very good goalkeeper

Post #550495  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:24 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
1-1 now

I for one hope it stays like that. A draw means two points dropped for both. That’s preferable to either side winning.

Your wish has been granted. :21encouragement:

Post #550496  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:25 pm 

They are all horrible arseholes aren’t they. It’s so easy to dislike all of them it’s unreal

Post #550497  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:25 pm 

Quite good that Kane bloke. Unfortunately.

Post #550498  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:27 pm 

Reds for both coaches :15laughter: :15laughter:

Post #550499  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:27 pm 

That should go down as an own goal, was heading out for a goal kick until it touched James. Good result in the end, Chelsea can only blame themselves after dominating most of the game but not capitalizing on it.

Post #550500  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:28 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

When I said red cards I meant key players. Not the childish managers.

Shades of Arsene and Pardew.

Post #550501  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:28 pm 

2-2. Var looks at a possible red card for Romero pulling Cucurella's hair - nothing given then Spurs score from the corner.

2-2 is a good score for us but Spurs have been ridiculously lucky with discipline decisions. bentacur fouled before the equaliser, and Richarlison looks very much in the line of the GK sight and offside as it goes in then Romero pulls Cucurella's hair before the second equaliser.

Both managers red carded at the final whistle - comms said punches were thrown!

Throw the book at both of them.

Arsenal and Man U had points deducted for a punch up...... :42laughter:

Post #550502  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:30 pm 

Rich wrote:
2-2. Var looks at a possible red card for Romero pulling Cucurella's hair - nothing given then Spurs score from the corner.

It's a very poor decision. Shirt pulling is one thing, but to grab a player by the hair and throw him down on the ground surely is a red all day long?

Post #550503  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:31 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Your wish has been granted. :21encouragement:

Like Rich, I would have preferred Spurs to lose. As it is, coming back from behind twice away to Chelsea is a big boost for them.

Post #550504  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:34 pm 

They just showed the replay a couple more times, and I have to say it's a shocking decision rather than just a very poor one. Clear as day, Romero pulls Cucurella down by the hair. Should be a red card and a free kick, instead Tottenham gets another corner and steal two points from Chelsea. I don't mind Chelsea being robbed of points but VAR has to do better than that. Could be us next time.

Post #550505  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:37 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
They just showed the replay a couple more times, and I have to say it's a shocking decision rather than just a very poor one. Clear as day, Romero pulls Cucurella down by the hair. Should be a red card and a free kick, instead Tottenham gets another corner and steal two points from Chelsea. I don't mind Chelsea being robbed of points but VAR has to do better than that. Could be us next time.

Agree totally

Also souness was saying the ref let things go improved the game! Feel dirty saying this but if I was a chelsea fan I’d feel cheated,

Post #550506  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:38 pm 

Hazuki wrote:

At the very least its a foul Haz and should have been a free kick and not another corner. I really do not understand the logic in not giving a foul.

All I can say is these VAR guys are just clueless.

I also thought Richarlison was in an offside position and in the line of the keepers sight for the first Tottenham goal.

EDIT:

Apparently VAR cannot step in and give a foul, its either a red or not so I was wrong. Still think the ref, who was looking right at it, should have spotted a foul.

Post #550507  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:39 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Agree totally

Also souness was saying the ref let things go improved the game! Feel dirty saying this but if I was a chelsea fan I’d feel cheated,

Totally cheated. A foul at the very least and thus a free kick and not another corner.

Post #550508  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:43 pm 

I am am Tuchel I am calling it like it is in the press conference, who cares about the fine.

I am saying that both the referee and the VAR guy are incompetent and unfit to officiate. The decisions they got wrong today were shocking and inexcusable.

Post #550509  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:43 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:

It's a very poor decision. Shirt pulling is one thing, but to grab a player by the hair and throw him down on the ground surely is a red all day long?

Violent conduct isn't it?

Spurs really do get away with a lot, which rankles all the more when you see how harshly we are treated.

Chelsea fans hate Anthony Taylor the ref today, expect a lot of grief for him from them

Post #550510  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:01 pm 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Agree totally

Totally cheated. A foul at the very least and thus a free kick and not another corner.

Imagine if xhaka had done that. An unquestionable Instant red.

Post #550511  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:03 pm 

Has souness been on the lagers again. Keeps referring to it being a man’s game with Karen Carney sat next to him. They corrected him first time then left it.

Post #550512  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:07 pm 

Agree with tuchel on the fouls. It’s ridiculous and he must be livid inside.

Post #550513  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:19 pm 

Chelsea outplayed them but only got a point. Funny ol' game.

Post #550514  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:37 pm 

Given what Xhaka has been deemed guilty of then pulling someone’s hair like that must be a red.

I can understand why Chelsea are aggrieved.

Post #550515  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:58 pm 

https://twitter.com/eurofootcom/status/ ... mFYgk195SA

Romero is a nice guy! I can’t stand these sorts of players, bad winners are far worse than bad losers. Rubbing it in someone’s face moments after he himself should have been sent off for the hair pull.

So many dislikable characters in spurs team, the fact they are allowed to get away with it so often makes it worse

Post #550516  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:01 pm 

It's hard to look past Jesus for man of the match against Leicester, but I really like what I've seen from Martinelli all throughout pre-season and the opening two fixtures. His usual energetic style is the same, but he looks like he has refined his game to where he makes better decisions with the ball, and executes with more quality. He also looks like he's added some muscles, bossing strong players like Fofana around in challenges. I'm expecting a big season from him, the aim should be around 10-15 goals at least. Saka should be able to contribute the same, and with Jesus playing like he's been doing so far he can honestly hit 20 league goals. We know Smith-Rowe and Ødegaard can score too, and Xhaka looks like he has goals in him in his new role.

So much of last season we complained about how much of our attacking game relied on Saka playing a blinder, but he's had two rather quiet games now and we've still created loads of chances. It's a big change in just a year to now we're looking like we have goal threats all over the team.

Post #550517  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:24 pm 

Watching the new episodes of All Out Arsenal as I've been away all weekend, and seeing the defeat against Man City on new year's day was just as heartbreaking as seeing it live. We were on a good run before that, but that was the game that really showed how far we had come since the horrible start to the season. To up against a team of that quality and not only hang on, but to actually be the better team for the first hour is something very few teams do. Most of the time when City drop points it's teams that sit back and manage to not concede, maybe snatch a goal from a set-piece or a defensive error, but we actually went toe to toe with them, and deserved our lead. There was a City fan on AFTV after the game who said he hadn't seen his team being pressed like that in a long time. And this season we're even better. I would love to get a league win against them this year, just to give the players the belief that they can do it.

Post #550518  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:29 pm 

Nuno Tavares has scored again for Marseille tonight

Post #550519  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:35 pm 

Hazuki wrote:

I’m finding it absolutely impossible to feel any sympathy for Chelsea at all. This is a club whose trophies since the early nineties were funded by a Russian oligarch and from that so is the club’s current elevated standing in the game.

While I agree it could be us next time, this time it was the turn of Chelsea. It’s something that can happen to any and every club. At the end of the day, the incident lead to two of Arsenal’s main challengers for a top four place dropping a couple of points each instead of Chelsea not dropping any and Tottenham dropping three. I still believe a draw today was the best result for us and whether or not it happened via a bad refereeing decision, I don’t care.

If Chelsea feel cheated, I’m really not bothered. Just like their fans won’t be if it happens to Arsenal.

Post #550520  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:02 pm 

Souness is getting it online for saying ‘it’s a man’s game’ and that’s what I like ‘men going at it’ when talking about the fracases in the Chelsea v spurs game.
It’s an old phrase and an unfortunate choice of words given the lift the women’s game has had this summer but people need to realise that’s all it is - clearly Souness is not implying women can’t or shouldn’t play football.
I’m sure Souness would be equally happy if there were a few flare ups in the womens game. Someone will be waiting to jump on whoever says it was just ‘handbags’ declaring that sexist.
The ravenous vitriol people seem to have online to take offence on behalf of other people and demand apologies, cancelling etc. it’s tiresome

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13760, 13761, 13762, 13763, 13764, 13765, 13766 ... 14269  Next