Fixtures Saturday October 1st - Tottenham Hotspur - Emirates - 12:30 Pm

Kick-Off

       Injuries                    Steve Gleiber



Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:27 pm

All times are UTC


  


Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: azinoz, warrior and 5 guests

 
Post #550241  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:45 am
Posts: 25316

Austin - the car maker (not the home of Lance Armstrong)

Also Caterham, as in Caterham 7 (the Prisoner)

_________________
I believe in our team, I believe in our quality and I am convinced that I am right. (Arsene Wenger Dec 08)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550242  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:45 am
Posts: 25316

Bernard wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Don't worry about it Bernard, you certainly know more car brands than I do. I've never owned a car, and I don't really see myself ever doing so. Living in a big city I just feel there's no need for it, public transport gets me wherever I want anyway.

Can we send someone to check up on kiwipete, I fear I just gave him an aneurysm.

As you’re in Sweden, Volvo is the only Swedish car manufacturer that springs to my mind.

Damn, I forgot Range Rover when listing the British ones. I presume they’re the same company as Rover, rather than a different firm with Range stuck in front of the name.

For Sweden Saab is a well known brand.

_________________
I believe in our team, I believe in our quality and I am convinced that I am right. (Arsene Wenger Dec 08)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550243  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:56 pm
Posts: 748

Some great old UK car names
Humber Snipe
Triumph Stag
Bristol Beaufighter
Jensen Interceptor
Austin Healey
Lotus Cortina(or the coveted 1600E)
Rolls Royce Corniche
Ford Zephyr (or Zodiac)
Jaguar E Type
MGB GT


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550244  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 3376

More on Yeremy Pino.

https://arseblog.news/2022/08/report-ar ... eals-pino/

_________________
Be careful who you call your friends. I'd rather have four quarters than one hundred pennies.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550245  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 7724

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:
As you’re in Sweden, Volvo is the only Swedish car manufacturer that springs to my mind.

Damn, I forgot Range Rover when listing the British ones. I presume they’re the same company as Rover, rather than a different firm with Range stuck in front of the name.

For Sweden Saab is a well known brand.


Unfortunately LTG, it's a 'was' for SAAB. They came under the General Motors heading but were always interestingly individual. Fell off the perch in 2016 or so.

I had a succession of SAABs and Volvos for about 20 years.

Had a couple of SAAB 9-5 Aeros. Brutal. Got me in trouble, they did.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550246  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 6353
Location: SE9

mcquilkie wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Do New Zealand make any cars, or indeed have they ever made any cars? I'm no automotive expert but none spring immediately to mind.
Kiwi?

I'm not sure about our near-neighbours, but Australia has always been good at making cars. The 1952 Triumph Mayflower Utility was one of our finest.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44362971@N08/15294826786

That's a beauty


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550247  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 3376

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:
Man U now linked with a bid for Rabiot. That is like pouring petrol on the fire.

Don't know what you mean, I think he sounds like the perfect guy for when you want to bring the locker room together.


As was Veronique's rage against Mbappe and Pogba families at Euro 2020, after France was knocked out by Switzerland.

_________________
Be careful who you call your friends. I'd rather have four quarters than one hundred pennies.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550248  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 16463

DHD wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
For Sweden Saab is a well known brand.


Unfortunately LTG, it's a 'was' for SAAB. They came under the General Motors heading but were always interestingly individual. Fell off the perch in 2016 or so.

I had a succession of SAABs and Volvos for about 20 years.

Had a couple of SAAB 9-5 Aeros. Brutal. Got me in trouble, they did.


Great cars. My old man had a Saab 9-3 turbo at one point. Really fast, went like the clappers and a genuine alternative to the BMW,mercs and Audis that are everywhere today. That car was the dogs bollocks

I’ve had the lot really mercs,bms currently got an AMG 4x4 that’s a proper mental vehicle and great fun. Like the look of that Maserati truck for my next and I’m not really excited by the move to electric im ashamed to say.

I do miss the days cars seemed less expensive though. Im not sure it’s the type of thing your supposed to lamp over 50 grand on if you ain’t up to a million but we all do.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550249  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:45 am
Posts: 25316

DHD wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
For Sweden Saab is a well known brand.


Unfortunately LTG, it's a 'was' for SAAB. They came under the General Motors heading but were always interestingly individual. Fell off the perch in 2016 or so.

I had a succession of SAABs and Volvos for about 20 years.

Had a couple of SAAB 9-5 Aeros. Brutal. Got me in trouble, they did.

It’s the way of things for car manufacturers isn’t it?

Never had a Saab nor a Volvo.

I did start out on a BSA Bantam. It was only very recently that I discovered what BSA actually stood for.

_________________
I believe in our team, I believe in our quality and I am convinced that I am right. (Arsene Wenger Dec 08)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550250  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 3376

The Duesenbeg Automobile and Motor Co., a racing and luxury automobile manufacturer founded in 1920 by German-American brothers, Frederick and August Duesenberg. It was the first American car to win the French Grand Prix in 1921. It went on to win the Indianapolis 500 three times in the 1920s. By 1937, the company was sold and dissolved.
The luxury Duesenberg was a popular choice by gangsters in the early 20th century.


Attachments:


_________________
Be careful who you call your friends. I'd rather have four quarters than one hundred pennies.
 Profile  
 
 
Post #550251  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 12379
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

Most acknowledge Churchill to be a great statesman ...want further proof :laughing7:

When he was Prime Minister one of his Conservative Ministers was a bugger ... got caught rogering a Guardsman on a park bench in Hyde Park at 3 am in mid February [ that's the middle of winter for all non Poms ]

Apparently newspapers hear about it . the Chief Whip travels down to see Churchill at his Chartwell home .

He tells Winston the whole sordid saga ..... "He has to go "

After a long pause puffing on his cigar Churchill says "" Did I hear you correctly so and so was caught with a Guardsman ? "
Yes Prime Minister
""On a park bench ...? "
"Yes Prime Minister "
"In the middle of Hyde Park ? "
That's right Prime Minister "
"At 3 am in the morning ? "
"That's correct Prime Minister "
" In this weather ? ........................... " Good God man .. it makes you proud to be British ! ""


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550252  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 22046

Heard a few things about what comes up in the next 3 episodes of All or Nothing.
The Aubameyang situation stripping him of the captaincy, including Arteta keeping a dossier of all his misdemeanours
The cup defeat at Forest - Arteta goes very angry
Arteta having covid and ripping in to the squad from the training videos he’s seen where efforts weren’t good enough whilst he was away.
A few interesting motivation talks about specific opponents

I can’t wait


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550253  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 12379
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

Posted one nothing came up , so posted again and got two . Maybe my keyboard is malfunctioning


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550254  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 12379
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

Hazuki wrote:
Don't worry about it Bernard, you certainly know more car brands than I do. I've never owned a car, and I don't really see myself ever doing so. Living in a big city I just feel there's no need for it, public transport gets me wherever I want anyway.

Can we send someone to check up on kiwipete, I fear I just gave him an aneurysm.

:laughing7: Thanks for your concern Haz but that doesn't come as a great surprise .
I have a son who has lived in Denmark for about seven years works in Copenhagen , lives 15 minutes outside ....... he's regaled me on the excellence of the Danish transport system and I would have figured Sweden pretty similar .

NZ has such rugged terrane with population spread to all points of the compass not owning a vehicle restricts travel big time .


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550255  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 12379
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

DHD wrote:
Haven't been many truly British cars for years but from my youth:

Wolseley, Riley, Singer, Hillman, Humber, Standard, Austin, Morris, Hawker Siddeley, Triumph, Jensen, Jowett - all now defunct brands. I'm sure there are more.

Sad, isn't it?

Morning DHD .....Armstrong Siddley ...... think Hawker Siddley made planes ...... Bristol , Morgan , Sunbeam , Vanguard , Brough Superior , Alvis , Allard , Lanchester , AC ,

I've seen all those and one's you mention wish I'd bought a barn and stored a few . The amount of wonderful old machines that ended up in landfills shocking .

My thinking would be why so many British car companies went under ; too many beers at lunchtime ; outdated work methods , union unrest , sort of we produce whatever and if you don't like it F**& off attitude .

Always found English cars to be unnecessarily complicated to work on , lots of times thinking why the hell didn't they mount that there etc

Japanese cars had nice heaters , radios , overdrive ,


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550256  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 12379
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

bromley gooner wrote:
Do New Zealand make any cars, or indeed have they ever made any cars? I'm no automotive expert but none spring immediately to mind.
Kiwi?

Gidday Brom .... no proper marquees . we've made a few kit cars ; take anothe r manufacturers engine and drive train fabricate the body .

Bit like British Allard used to do and Morgan's do now .

Think there was some Kiwi who made a couple of cars back around the 1880's when a car consisted of an engine , frame , a tiller , four bike wheels and a nail box for a seat .


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550257  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 12379
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

What about the de Lorean

... didn't that shyster hoodwink Margaret Thatcher and the British tax payer out of a few million .

Only sale to Michael J Fox


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550258  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 12379
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

Andy Green wrote:
Some great old UK car names
Humber Snipe
Triumph Stag
Bristol Beaufighter
Jensen Interceptor
Austin Healey
Lotus Cortina(or the coveted 1600E)
Rolls Royce Corniche
Ford Zephyr (or Zodiac)
Jaguar E Type
MGB GT
Getting some mileage out of this car topic ...... Ha ha ha what a pun .

Greetings Andy ..... think Bristol Beaufighter was a world war 2 plane


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550259  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 6910
Location: Townsville Australia

Hazuki wrote:
Don't worry about it Bernard, you certainly know more car brands than I do. I've never owned a car, and I don't really see myself ever doing so. Living in a big city I just feel there's no need for it, public transport gets me wherever I want anyway.

Can we send someone to check up on kiwipete, I fear I just gave him an aneurysm.

That threw me back in the chair as well. I've never lived anywhere with a decent public transport system. But I could never imagine not owning cars. Just 3 at the moment but one is permanently at the holiday house. Most running and registered cars I had at the one time was five.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550260  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:53 pm
Posts: 3366
Location: Over here

kiwipete wrote:
Andy Green wrote:
Some great old UK car names
Humber Snipe
Triumph Stag
Bristol Beaufighter
Jensen Interceptor
Austin Healey
Lotus Cortina(or the coveted 1600E)
Rolls Royce Corniche
Ford Zephyr (or Zodiac)
Jaguar E Type
MGB GT
Getting some mileage out of this car topic ...... Ha ha ha what a pun .

Greetings Andy ..... think Bristol Beaufighter was a world war 2 plane


Bristol Beaufighter was a car manufactured by Bristol Motor company back in 70s/80s. They used to have a showroom in Mayfair and manufactured cars to order until quite recently.

_________________
"You've got to go out on a limb sometimes because that's where the fruit is."


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550261  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:53 pm
Posts: 3366
Location: Over here

Owned a few Saabs in the past, 9-3 Aero and a couple of 9-3 Tdi, had a 900 Turbo which was pick of the bunch. The GM Saabs were horrid, though the US/Swedish battle of wills was very amusing.

_________________
"You've got to go out on a limb sometimes because that's where the fruit is."


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550262  Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 10488
Location: Singapore

David Luiz's team, Flamengo, is about to end Willian's Corinthians journey in the Copa Libertadores.

Willian tried as hard as he could to impose himself in the game, but alas, beyond him. Poor chap, spirit is willing but flesh is weak.

_________________
Onwards and Upwards!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550263  Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 6910
Location: Townsville Australia

Did people see the article about Ian Wright wearing a pink shirt on TV in response to that bloke Sugars rant. I actually like the shirt and colour and I love Wrighty for always being a fan

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550264  Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 12379
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Getting some mileage out of this car topic ...... Ha ha ha what a pun .

Greetings Andy ..... think Bristol Beaufighter was a world war 2 plane


Bristol Beaufighter was a car manufactured by Bristol Motor company back in 70s/80s. They used to have a showroom in Mayfair and manufactured cars to order until quite recently.


You sure ...? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Beaufighter

EDIT ..... okay we are both right https://second.wiki/wiki/bristol_beaufighter_auto


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550265  Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 22046

Bbc Sports 22 pundits have made their top 4 predictions. Last year not one of them had is in their top 4.
This year 14 of them have us outside the top 4 and 8 of them have us 4th

Every pundit bar Dion Dublin has Spurs in their top 4, with 17 of them thinking Spurs finish 3rd.

Rob Green thinks Man U will finish 2nd…..


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550266  Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 11064

Rich wrote:
Heard a few things about what comes up in the next 3 episodes of All or Nothing.
The Aubameyang situation stripping him of the captaincy, including Arteta keeping a dossier of all his misdemeanours
The cup defeat at Forest - Arteta goes very angry
Arteta having covid and ripping in to the squad from the training videos he’s seen where efforts weren’t good enough whilst he was away.
A few interesting motivation talks about specific opponents

I can’t wait

How many episodes are there going to be?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550267  Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 22046

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
Heard a few things about what comes up in the next 3 episodes of All or Nothing.
The Aubameyang situation stripping him of the captaincy, including Arteta keeping a dossier of all his misdemeanours
The cup defeat at Forest - Arteta goes very angry
Arteta having covid and ripping in to the squad from the training videos he’s seen where efforts weren’t good enough whilst he was away.
A few interesting motivation talks about specific opponents

I can’t wait

How many episodes are there going to be?

I think a further 3 released tomorrow and then the final 3 released a week later. So 9 in total


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550268  Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 11064

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:
How many episodes are there going to be?

I think a further 3 released tomorrow and then the final 3 released a week later. So 9 in total

Nine, blimey? Thanks but I didn’t know it was that many. I’ve only seen the first two at that free showing for attending all the games (got a letter from Venkatesham and Arteta thanking me for the same thing).

From memory they went up to covering the home game against Tottenham.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550269  Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 11064

long time gooner wrote:
Austin - the car maker (not the home of Lance Armstrong)

Also Caterham, as in Caterham 7 (the Prisoner)

I didn’t know that was Patrick McGoohan’s (Number 6) sports car when he wasn’t at the village in the Prisoner.

A great series but badly let down by the last two episodes, which were awful garbage. Apparently McGoohan left the country because of the criticisms the end of the series got. In my view the criticism was completely warranted.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550270  Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:21 pm
Posts: 16170
Location: Stockholm

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
I think a further 3 released tomorrow and then the final 3 released a week later. So 9 in total

Nine, blimey? Thanks but I didn’t know it was that many. I’ve only seen the first two at that free showing for attending all the games (got a letter from Venkatesham and Arteta thanking me for the same thing).

From memory they went up to covering the home game against Tottenham.

I think it's eight episodes in total, with only two released in the last week. Looking forward to the new ones tomorrow in any case, thought it was really interesting.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550271  Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:21 pm
Posts: 16170
Location: Stockholm

Charlie Patino had his first start for Blackpool yesterday, against League Two side Barrow in the league cup. Played 70 minutes and was voted motm. The Blackpool fans seems to have taken a liking to him already.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550272  Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:45 am
Posts: 25316

Hazuki wrote:
Charlie Patino had his first start for Blackpool yesterday, against League Two side Barrow in the league cup. Played 70 minutes and was voted motm. The Blackpool fans seems to have taken a liking to him already.

A different view from the local rag.

7. Charlie Patino - 5/10

An okay first start in tangerine, but nothing spectacular. Caught in possession a couple of times when closed down.


https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/spor ... 725?page=2

_________________
I believe in our team, I believe in our quality and I am convinced that I am right. (Arsene Wenger Dec 08)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550273  Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:31 pm
Posts: 3846
Location: Turnford, Broxbourne, Herts

Andy Green wrote:
Some great old UK car names
Humber Snipe
Triumph Stag
Bristol Beaufighter
Jensen Interceptor
Austin Healey
Lotus Cortina(or the coveted 1600E)
Rolls Royce Corniche
Ford Zephyr (or Zodiac)
Jaguar E Type
MGB GT


My favourite Scimitar GTE based on Ford and fibreglass body, wow didn't shift.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550274  Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 7724

kiwipete wrote:
Morning DHD .....Armstrong Siddley ...... think Hawker Siddley made planes ...... Bristol , Morgan , Sunbeam , Vanguard , Brough Superior , Alvis , Allard , Lanchester , AC ,

I've seen all those and one's you mention wish I'd bought a barn and stored a few . The amount of wonderful old machines that ended up in landfills shocking .

My thinking would be why so many British car companies went under ; too many beers at lunchtime ; outdated work methods , union unrest , sort of we produce whatever and if you don't like it F**& off attitude .

Always found English cars to be unnecessarily complicated to work on , lots of times thinking why the hell didn't they mount that there etc

Japanese cars had nice heaters , radios , overdrive ,


Thanks KP - ARMSTRONG Siddeley with the sphinx mascot on the bonnet.

I think the basic reason the UK car industry went under is because the foreign competition was making better cars - cars that were better built - cars that didn't break down - cars that didn't piss oil - cars that came with 'free' extras like radios, heaters and wing mirrors.

The first Japanese cars to arrive were pretty ugly but once they began to align with western tastes, it was no contest really. They were just better and cheaper.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550275  Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 7724

Help please.

For Saturday, I know there's a train strike but will the Tube be running?

ta


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550276  Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 22046

Hazuki wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Nine, blimey? Thanks but I didn’t know it was that many. I’ve only seen the first two at that free showing for attending all the games (got a letter from Venkatesham and Arteta thanking me for the same thing).

From memory they went up to covering the home game against Tottenham.

I think it's eight episodes in total, with only two released in the last week. Looking forward to the new ones tomorrow in any case, thought it was really interesting.

Hi Haz, you're right it's 8 in total

Episode 1 – New Beginnings | August 4
Episode 2 – The North London Derby | August 4
Episode 3 – Stay In The Game | August 4
Episode 4 | August 11
Episode 5 | August 11
Episode 6 | August 11
Episode 7 | August 18
Episode 8 | August 18


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550277  Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:21 pm
Posts: 16170
Location: Stockholm

I'm very interested to see how Arteta uses the squad this season. Last season we hade some injuries and a very thin squad, so we started the same players a lot. This year we've deepened the squad and we also have Europe where squad players can get more games and possibly build some form - last year they didn't get a lot of minutes and had to do a lot with very limited playing time to impress Mikel.

There's an opportunity to rotate a little bit now; Saliba arriving means we have three quality centre backs, Zinchenko is a genuine option both at left back and in midfield, White can play right back too, there's Vieira who can play in the Ødegaard position, and all our attacking players are quite fluid and can cover multiple positions.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550278  Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 12379
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

DHD wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Morning DHD .....Armstrong Siddley ...... think Hawker Siddley made planes ...... Bristol , Morgan , Sunbeam , Vanguard , Brough Superior , Alvis , Allard , Lanchester , AC ,

I've seen all those and one's you mention wish I'd bought a barn and stored a few . The amount of wonderful old machines that ended up in landfills shocking .

My thinking would be why so many British car companies went under ; too many beers at lunchtime ; outdated work methods , union unrest , sort of we produce whatever and if you don't like it F**& off attitude .

Always found English cars to be unnecessarily complicated to work on , lots of times thinking why the hell didn't they mount that there etc

Japanese cars had nice heaters , radios , overdrive ,


Thanks KP - ARMSTRONG Siddeley with the sphinx mascot on the bonnet.

I think the basic reason the UK car industry went under is because the foreign competition was making better cars - cars that were better built - cars that didn't break down - cars that didn't piss oil - cars that came with 'free' extras like radios, heaters and wing mirrors.

The first Japanese cars to arrive were pretty ugly but once they began to align with western tastes, it was no contest really. They were just better and cheaper.

Think you've pretty much nailed it DH ....
what was wrong with British motor industry was epitomised by the Triumph Stag , beautiful car but an engine that was suitable only for a boat anchor .
Probably not too many on here familiar with mechanics etc but I can tell you when you design an engine where the water pump is situated higher than the radiator as they did with the V8 Stag you are in real trouble .

Slightest loss of water and it cooked the water pump which did all sorts of other internal damage because it was gear driven instead of the normal belt .

On the money with the Sphinx you're first cab off the rank with the Trivial Pursuit


Just watched three / four episodes of All or Nothing Arsenal ...... to be honest I didn't find it as well presented or engaging as "Sunderland Till I Die ""

Some of the vitriol directed at Ramsdale before he'd even played a game was staggering ""You not good enough for this club .... F** off you *&&*&^%% etc etc


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550279  Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 22046

Hazuki wrote:
I'm very interested to see how Arteta uses the squad this season. Last season we hade some injuries and a very thin squad, so we started the same players a lot. This year we've deepened the squad and we also have Europe where squad players can get more games and possibly build some form - last year they didn't get a lot of minutes and had to do a lot with very limited playing time to impress Mikel.

There's an opportunity to rotate a little bit now; Saliba arriving means we have three quality centre backs, Zinchenko is a genuine option both at left back and in midfield, White can play right back too, there's Vieira who can play in the Ødegaard position, and all our attacking players are quite fluid and can cover multiple positions.

Arsenal currently have every player fit. Emile Smith Rowe, Tomiyasu and Vieira are all in full training. The weekend might come too soon for them all to start or even make the bench but they're not injured.

Arteta is going to need to manage the squad carefully through the Europa League group stages which could give us an advantage against the CL teams who will generally need to play a lot of their best players.
Turner, Cédric, Holding, Saliba, Tierney, Elneny, Lokonga, Vieira, Pépé, Emile Smith Rowe, Nketiah is a good enough team for the Europa group stages


 Profile  
 
 
Post #550280  Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:52 pm
Posts: 13423

Just read that we’re two players over the non homegrown players list which would very much explain why we’re looking to shift out a few before we can bring in.

_________________
There's a man who's been out sailing in a decade full of dreams


 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     [ 552601 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13754, 13755, 13756, 13757, 13758, 13759, 13760 ... 13816  Next

All times are UTC

Gooners Online - Click to see what Everyones Doing

Colour Key:  Visited Profile    Members Profile      Admin

Get Latest Post

Users browsing this forum: azinoz, warrior and 5 guests


Search for:

Go to Top

Powered by php BB © 1993 - 2018