Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 109 guests

Post #532681  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:24 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
We do need 2 midfielders, a right back and competent back up keeper. Encouraged by the white signing but concerned generally more of the same is about to follow if we don’t see movement. If you disagree fair enough.

Central midfield is more important than right back, and a backup keeper doesn't have to cost much if anything at all. The point is we could've signed another central midfielder if we wanted to, it has nothing to do with being unable to ship out Xhaka or Elneny.

Post #532682  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:27 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
We do need 2 midfielders, a right back and competent back up keeper. Encouraged by the white signing but concerned generally more of the same is about to follow if we don’t see movement. If you disagree fair enough.

Central midfield is more important than right back, and a backup keeper doesn't have to cost much if anything at all. The point is we could've signed another central midfielder if we wanted to, it has nothing to do with being unable to ship out Xhaka or Elneny.

The suggestion being made is we only have another 40 million to spend want Maddison but can’t afford him without sales. Our budget isn’t infinite. If you think our inability to shift these mediocre players isn’t hurting us your kidding yourself.

Central midfield is a priority.

Post #532683  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:29 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

We’ve spent 77 million. I’m not sure the money is there to sign the players we need, 100 million for another 2 midfielders ? Surely that requires players leaving.

The fact that we've spend 77 million suggests to me that there is more to come, not that we are done. It's already more than I (and I imagine also you) expected!

It looks to me that Arteta is buying with a clear purpose in mind. He really does want to get the right profile of player in. Filling squad holes with journeymen does not seem to be the plan, and thank goodness for that. For what its worth I reckon we'll see one more very nice signing.

I hope your right but with 2 weeks till the season starts I can’t help but feel slightly (but not overly) concerned

Post #532684  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:35 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
The suggestion being made is we only have another 40 million to spend want Maddison but can’t afford him without sales. Our budget isn’t infinite. If you think our inability to shift these mediocre players isn’t hurting us your kidding yourself.

Even if that figure is true 40m could get us an excellent central midfielder to compliment Partey, Xhaka and Lokonga. When Arteta and Edu arrived they had a mountain of work ahead of them to get the squad balance in order, but that excuse can't last forever. Going into the season with Elneny as one of our four options would be a choice, not something we're forced to do.

Post #532685  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:45 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:
The fact that we've spend 77 million suggests to me that there is more to come, not that we are done. It's already more than I (and I imagine also you) expected!

It looks to me that Arteta is buying with a clear purpose in mind. He really does want to get the right profile of player in. Filling squad holes with journeymen does not seem to be the plan, and thank goodness for that. For what its worth I reckon we'll see one more very nice signing.

I hope your right but with 2 weeks till the season starts I can’t help but feel slightly (but not overly) concerned

That's very justifiable. I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised, and am more hopeful than if we hadn't already splashed out. The fact that the purse doesn't seem to be welded shut is encouraging.

Post #532686  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:28 pm 

Zed wrote:
So....not looking good according to Arteta.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.u ... 21777/amp/

Apparently a Dr Rajpal Brar, who is called a ‘medical expert’, has said: “Found the specific mechanism of injury for Partey. This is typically indicative of a 'high ankle sprain' aka syndesmotic tear. These typically come with a 4-6 week return timeline if a grade 1 injury.”

I’ve never heard of Dr Rajpal Brar before, but assuming he is a medical expert and knows what he’s talking about, the best we can hope for is Partey being out for four weeks which is 29th August. If he’s out for six weeks, that takes us to 12th September.

One assumes a period of rehabilitation or getting back to full fitness will be required after the injury heals, so it wouldn’t surprise me if the earliest we can expect to see Partey back for is Burnley away on 18th September. If so, that would mean him missing the following games: Brentford away, Chelsea home, Manchester City away, Norwich home.

Post #532687  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:41 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:
So....not looking good according to Arteta.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.u ... 21777/amp/

Apparently a Dr Rajpal Brar, who is called a ‘medical expert’, has said: “Found the specific mechanism of injury for Partey. This is typically indicative of a 'high ankle sprain' aka syndesmotic tear. These typically come with a 4-6 week return timeline if a grade 1 injury.”

I’ve never heard of Dr Rajpal Brar before, but assuming he is a medical expert and knows what he’s talking about, the best we can hope for is Partey being out for four weeks which is 29th August. If he’s out for six weeks, that takes us to 12th September.

The unknown factor remains as to whether it is only a grade one injury.

Post #532688  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:48 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:

That’s a good point. Although having said that, which way does the grading scale go? Is grade 1 the lightest or the worst form of the injury?

Post #532689  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:20 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

That’s a good point. Although having said that, which way does the grading scale go? Is grade 1 the lightest or the worst form of the injury?

Having seen this on a local level only, we rate it 1-5. With 5 the worst. The same scales apply to other medical things in Australia as cancers are rated on a similar scale. I have assumed grade 1 is at the lower end because his recovery time is not that long.

Post #532690  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:29 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Having seen this on a local level only, we rate it 1-5. With 5 the worst. The same scales apply to other medical things in Australia as cancers are rated on a similar scale. I have assumed grade 1 is at the lower end because his recovery time is not that long.

Thanks, that’s helpful.

Post #532691  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:35 am 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:
Bright spots were Nketiah and Willock when they came on. Tavares and Lokonga looked decent.

Yes, Nketiah and Willock looked bright. Willock is probably our sellable player with the highest value, but if we're not going to bring in another central midfielder I would prefer him to stay and play ahead of Elneny. As criticised as Xhaka has been, a much bigger problem with our midfield last season was Elneny starting 17 league games. He's just a complete non-factor out there, spends all game chasing shadows basically.

That is Elneny's sole role (capability) in the Arsenal team. Provide some resistance to the opposition. A very limited role and he should only be a squad player to come on when we are defending a lead.

Post #532692  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:20 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Yes, Nketiah and Willock looked bright. Willock is probably our sellable player with the highest value, but if we're not going to bring in another central midfielder I would prefer him to stay and play ahead of Elneny. As criticised as Xhaka has been, a much bigger problem with our midfield last season was Elneny starting 17 league games. He's just a complete non-factor out there, spends all game chasing shadows basically.

That is Elneny's sole role (capability) in the Arsenal team. Provide some resistance to the opposition. A very limited role and he should only be a squad player to come on when we are defending a lead.

And for my money should only have that place on the bench if we’re allowed 9 subs next year not the usual 7.

Post #532693  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:22 am 

With Willock, Nketiah, Nelson and AMN, to me it seems pointless to keep Nketiah and Nelson as a starting point, I think both are in their last year so the club may decide to keep them if they don’t receive a good enough offer but I can’t see how either get any minutes if everyone else stays.
Willock and AMN have longer contracts so we don’t have to accept poor offers and in Willock’s case he could get some minutes with the squad as it currently stands

Post #532694  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:31 am 

Finally got to see the extended highlights of yesterday’s game. It was more concerning than I had anticipated. The defence looked all over the place, verging on absent, in the bits that were shown. Is that a consequence of a high press? One shouldn’t read too much into pre-season games with lots of player rotation but the league starts in 11 days time and it would be nice to see us building some form.

Post #532695  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:51 am 

Rich wrote:
With Willock, Nketiah, Nelson and AMN, to me it seems pointless to keep Nketiah and Nelson as a starting point, I think both are in their last year so the club may decide to keep them if they don’t receive a good enough offer but I can’t see how either get any minutes if everyone else stays.
Willock and AMN have longer contracts so we don’t have to accept poor offers and in Willock’s case he could get some minutes with the squad as it currently stands

That’s what I said about Nketiah and Nelson in post 533641. Even if they stay, how many minutes will they get? The best thing for them, career wise, is probably to move on. I wouldn’t have thought their wages were so high they couldn’t earn similar elsewhere. Mind you, after seeing details of Nelson’s house (or mansion) here a couple of weeks or so back, maybe I’m wrong?

Post #532696  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:52 am 

With only a month left of the window it is hard to see how we are going to get all the players we want out of the door, bar virtually giving them away or sending them out on loan whilst paying a large chunk of their wages.

I don't blame Edu either, what's he supposed to do. Trying to get a decent fee for average players on very high wages in a depressed market. Not an easy thing to do.

Post #532697  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:58 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

That’s what I said about Nketiah and Nelson in post 533641. Even if they stay, how many minutes will they get? The best thing for them, career wise, is probably to move on. I wouldn’t have thought their wages were so high they couldn’t earn similar elsewhere. Mind you, after seeing details of Nelson’s house (or mansion) here a couple of weeks or so back, maybe I’m wrong?

Hi Bernard,

I've got mixed feelings about selling Willock and Nketiah, both are homegrown and seem to be making strides forward in their careers. Both looked far more lively than either Aubameyang or Lacazette yesterday. Nketiah, in particular, looked much better in terms of his all round game than he has done in the past. His touch and hold-up play was more assured. Willock is always on the move and always a goal threat.

Seems like we will have to sacrifice some of the kids because nobody wants our established donkeys.

Post #532698  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:40 am 

Bernard wrote:

Is that you trying to get around the time limit on replies by posting in the future?

:toothy9: :toothy9: :toothy9:

Post #532699  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:55 am 

socrates wrote:
With only a month left of the window it is hard to see how we are going to get all the players we want out of the door, bar virtually giving them away or sending them out on loan whilst paying a large chunk of their wages.

I don't blame Edu either, what's he supposed to do. Trying to get a decent fee for average players on very high wages in a depressed market. Not an easy thing to do.

After I saw that mistake by Bellerin and Parteys injury it filled me with dread yesterday.

If the manager keeps playing Elneny, Bellerin and Xhaka then he will be sacked by Christmas. However what’s the alternative. The club needs to find a way of financing new players without too many sales and just freeze them out by leaving them out of the side. I do wonder if you might see some loans coming in.

Post #532700  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:56 am 

One player who seems to be off the radar is Balogun. I assume that since he didn’t feature in the giant squad of yesterday then he is nowhere near a start.

Post #532701  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:13 am 

Of all the players the fans probably want to push out of the club Xhaka would be the one I'm most happy with staying, partly because at the moment there is a necessity to have the bodies in central midfield.

Of course if we can sell Xhaka and upgrade then that is the preference, but on the basis that it is going to be very difficult for us to do all the INs and OUTs we want this summer, selling Xhaka for £12m to Roma is not something we should be doing. 2 years left on his deal, he's easily worth £12m NEXT summer with only a year left. We can't buy a player for £12m who is better than Xhaka.

The difference with someone like Bellerin is we have 2 other RB (3 if you include AMN) and I don't see any drop off in quality of the squad if Bellerin leaves even if we don't sign anyone else.

Priorities with the squad as it stands for incomings in order are:
1: back up GK (one injury to Leno and we have Runnarson and Okonkwo in goal!)
2: creative central midfielder (one injury to Emile Smith Rowe and we lose that player in the 10 position who was so crucial to our turn around in form last year)
3. right back - if Xhaka stays then a top quality right back would do more good for us than another CM I think
4. central mid
5. striker

Post #532702  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:16 am 

long time gooner wrote:
One player who seems to be off the radar is Balogun. I assume that since he didn’t feature in the giant squad of yesterday then he is nowhere near a start.

Picked up an injury aparently

Post #532703  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:18 am 

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Hi Bernard,

I've got mixed feelings about selling Willock and Nketiah, both are homegrown and seem to be making strides forward in their careers. Both looked far more lively than either Aubameyang or Lacazette yesterday. Nketiah, in particular, looked much better in terms of his all round game than he has done in the past. His touch and hold-up play was more assured. Willock is always on the move and always a goal threat.

Seems like we will have to sacrifice some of the kids because nobody wants our established donkeys.

Nketiah has a contract extension on the table. If he's not signed it so far then you have to question his desire to stay. And it would be totally understandable considering he barely saw any action after Christmas.

Post #532704  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:43 am 

Rich wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Picked up an injury aparently

Thanks.

Post #532705  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:22 am 

Arsenal.com has 29 first team players officially listed. For a club with no Europe I'd say that is about 6 too many.

Kolasinac and Torreira are the two most obvious to leave without requiring a need to be replaced. You could also say Nelson, Nketiah and AMN are in the same boat. Then one of the 3 right-backs we have to leave also. That brings the squad down to 23 and broadly speaking is 2 players for every position and 3 GKs which feels about right.
You could probably argue Willian could leave and not need replacing but as the squad stands he's probably the back up No.10 to Emile Smith Rowe.

So based on that 23 and in an ideal world youd have
Willian leaving, new No.10 coming in
Cédric leaving, new RB coming in
Runarsson leaving, new back up GK coming in
Elneny/Xhaka leaving, new CM coming in
and an argument for Lacazette leaving, new striker coming in

Do anything close to that with some good quality coming in a=then Arsenal's transfer window would be a 9 or 10/10 in the circumstances.

Post #532706  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:50 am 

Rich wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

And for my money should only have that place on the bench if we’re allowed 9 subs next year not the usual 7.

good point

Post #532707  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:52 am 

socrates wrote:

But he should take the blame for Willian, squarely on his shoulders, that one

Post #532708  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:03 am 

gooner7 wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi g7,

Was it Edu, though, I read somewhere that it was Arteta who insisted on Willian.

Post #532709  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:43 am 

Rich wrote:
Arsenal.com has 29 first team players officially listed. For a club with no Europe I'd say that is about 6 too many.

Kolasinac and Torreira are the two most obvious to leave without requiring a need to be replaced. You could also say Nelson, Nketiah and AMN are in the same boat. Then one of the 3 right-backs we have to leave also. That brings the squad down to 23 and broadly speaking is 2 players for every position and 3 GKs which feels about right.
You could probably argue Willian could leave and not need replacing but as the squad stands he's probably the back up No.10 to Emile Smith Rowe.

Do anything close to that with some good quality coming in a=then Arsenal's transfer window would be a 9 or 10/10 in the circumstances.

Still got this player on my mind. I’ve just looked on the Arsenal site for the ‘players’. No mention of Balogun at all. He looked like a prospect and Arsenal fought to get him to sign a new deal. So where does he fit in?

Post #532710  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:15 am 

Here’s hoping…..

https://newsjust24all.com/arsenal-put-7 ... d-wldkGtpc

Post #532711  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:17 am 

gooner7 wrote:
socrates wrote:

But to go back to Socrates point what’s edu supposed to do ? He’s offered an international winger for free and the alternative is signing nobody. It hasn’t worked out but beggars can’t be choosers right ? We seem forced to make decisions out of necessity.

As rich eloquently illustrated in an earlier post we need about 5 new players. 3 desperately too. There’s only so much money.

Post #532712  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:11 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

But to go back to Socrates point what’s edu supposed to do ? He’s offered an international winger for free and the alternative is signing nobody. It hasn’t worked out but beggars can’t be choosers right ? We seem forced to make decisions out of necessity.

As rich eloquently illustrated in an earlier post we need about 5 new players. 3 desperately too. There’s only so much money.

I think the Willian decision has to be looked in the full cost of his transfer. £0 fee but probably a healthy signing on fee due to player and agent plus £150k a week for 3 years which is probably somewhere in the region of £30m total. Could that have gone on a younger player for £15m fee and half the wages, so the same outlay. Perhaps the club (probably rightly) saw Willian as as much of a guaranteed success as we could find. If he'd done for us last year what he'd done for Chelsea on average over the last 5 then the signing of him would have been fine. The problems come when the age and wage of these players it simple has to work or your stuck. If that was a younger player that didn't work there is an exit strategy

Post #532713  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:13 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Still got this player on my mind. I’ve just looked on the Arsenal site for the ‘players’. No mention of Balogun at all. He looked like a prospect and Arsenal fought to get him to sign a new deal. So where does he fit in?

Hi LTG
Balogun is still showing under the Academy list.
You are right we did fight hard to get him to sign a new contract.
What reassures me is there is no way he signs that contract if he doesnt receive certain assurances.
He has definitely been promoted to the first team squad so assuming our website has not been updated yet.
Couldnt understand either the links to Tammy Abraham when we have Balogun waiting in the wings.
If Lacazette leaves then i want a more established striker than Abraham coming in.

I like Xhaka but i was looking forward to a new midfielder coming in to replace him with maybe more mobility and pace.
Happy to keep him but would like to see Azeez promoted to the squad maybe at the expense of Elneny.
I love Elneny's professionalism and attitude but if we can get a fee for him he should be moved on and his spot given to Azeez who is definitely more pregressive playing wise.

Post #532714  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:18 pm 

As much as Ben White will really add some much needed pace and passing ability from the back the signing I'm more excited about right now is Lokonga. Possibly because we've lacked a player with his skillset (however raw right now) in the central midfield for some time. Whilst we have had players in defence with White's skillset they were just flawed in other ways.

Lokonga has a fluent grasp of English as well which will make the adaption easier. 21 years old, has already been captain of his last club, on the fringe of an excellent national team, physical, quick, mobile, sharp, short and long range passing, head up play and looking to move the ball forward quickly. Love all of this.

Post #532715  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:22 pm 

Harry Kane was due back at Spurs training today and has not shown up. That is a pretty big and public statement.

We've been here before with players demanding to leave, its not nice as a fan and the club need to make the best long term decision - if there is £100m plus on the table from City then they need to take it and move on. It is something I wished we'd done with Sanchez for example.

Spurs digging their heels in and having an unhappy Kane being forced to stay would be excellent news for us.

Post #532716  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:29 pm 

socrates wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Hi g7,

Was it Edu, though, I read somewhere that it was Arteta who insisted on Willian.

Hi Soc, I might have been mistaken. I did read somewhere too that Edu got the deal going. Perhaps I was trying to connect Brazilian to Brazilian. My bad.

Post #532717  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:42 pm 

Fact is we have marginal players on high wages and trying offload such players often if not usually ends up with us being stuck with a player on high wages and him knowing he's not wanted.

It may be best to bite the bullet, sell at whatever we can get, get there wages off the books, take a loss and on a go forward basis make a better effort of offering 'smarter' wages. The time to sell 120k a week Bellerin was a few years ago.

Post #532718  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:49 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Fact is we have marginal players on high wages and trying offload such players often if not usually ends up with us being stuck with a player on high wages and him knowing he's not wanted.

It may be best to bite the bullet, sell at whatever we can get, get there wages off the books, take a loss and on a go forward basis make a better effort of offering 'smarter' wages. The time to sell 120k a week Bellerin was a few years ago.

It is a difficult position and not one uncommon to other clubs, one look at Chelsea's expanded squad list at the weekend shows you they have an even bigger list of failed signings on big wages that they can't shift. Man U are similar. The difference for those clubs is they can afford to dump these players on loan or keep them well away from the first team without getting any revenue from them and without it effecting their transfer plans to strengthen the squad.

Each case needs to be looked at in isolation and on its own merits.

For example, selling Xhaka for £12m now and only having that money to spend on a replacement will make us weaker next year. However, if we only had £23m left in our budget and our primary midfield target was going to cost us £35m then accepting a low offer for Xhaka to facilitate the move for the main improvement we want in midfield would be worth it.

It also applies to players like Lacazette with only 1 year left on their deal. Lets say we're only being offered £10m for Lacazette, for me I would forego the £10m and keep Lacazette and let him leave for free next year because having him contribute for 1 more year is worth more to us than having £10m in the bank.

Post #532719  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:54 pm 

So to call it early, If Partey is out injured for a period of time I think this will be our starting 11 for the first day of the season:
Leno, Chambers, White, Mari, Tierney, Elneny, Xhaka, Pépé, Smith-Rowe, Aubameyang, Lacazette

If it is I'll find it pretty underwhelming because for whatever reason it won't have addressed the main weaknesses or balance in the side.

Post #532720  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:05 pm 

Rich wrote:
So to call it early, If Partey is out injured for a period of time I think this will be our starting 11 for the first day of the season:
Leno, Chambers, White, Mari, Tierney, Elneny, Xhaka, Pépé, Smith-Rowe, Aubameyang, Lacazette

If it is I'll find it pretty underwhelming because for whatever reason it won't have addressed the main weaknesses or balance in the side.

I must admit I hadn’t been anticipating a Elneny Xhaka partnership to kickstart our new season after all the supposed activity.

Nor for that matter a Lacazette Aubameyang partnership.

Where’s Gabriel?

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13315, 13316, 13317, 13318, 13319, 13320, 13321 ... 14269  Next