Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: bubblechris and 112 guests

Post #541161  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:55 pm 

Interesting. Xhaka may have to leave the country as he can’t pop out for a pint of milk without getting himself sent off and his reputation is destroyed

Red card, red card, red card

http://sportwitness.co.uk/player-doesnt ... portunity/

Post #541162  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:14 pm 

Rich wrote:
Norton-Cuffy (youth team right back, 18 years old) has gone on loan to Lincoln. Seems some are saying that's almost an accelerated loan for him as there are more experienced and older players who aren't getting loans. I've watched him a few times in U18 highlights and he always looked physically too good for those age groups.

It would be good to get some good defenders come through the youth system, who was the last defender who came through and even had a handful of games for the first team even if they weren't considered to have 'made it'?

Have you forgotten Bellerin? Didn’t he come through the youth system even though he joined us from Barcelona’s? A sort of Merida type example but signing players from other youth systems appears common. How about Mavropanis and Medley? Even Medley joined us from Chelsea’s youth set up.

Maitland-Niles must surely have played most of his first team football for us at right back.

Post #541163  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:36 pm 

Didn't know of Giggs' legal issues. I don't know the details of the charges and that's up to a court to decide. I can't stand him though. I've never heard him or Scholes say a kind word about us. Maybe they have but I've not read or heard it. If so, the hatred is serious enough to last into retirement. Unlike Keane and Neville who have shown not only respect bur admiration.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-60036711

Post #541164  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:52 pm 

Attachment:

Post #541165  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:07 pm 

Kolasinac expected to join Marseille this window (not sure if permanent or on loan). Mari joining Udinese. We're getting a bit more ruthless with shipping out players who are not good enough - next step is to get some actual fees for them.

It leaves the squad much more streamlined as these 22, 2 players for each position

Ramsdale, Leno
Tomiyasu, Cédric, Chambers, White, Gabriel, Holding, Tierney, Tavares
Partey, Xhaka, Lokonga, Elneny
Saka, Emile Smith Rowe, Ødegaard, Pépé, Martinelli
Lacazette, Aubameyang, Nketiah

Mari and Kolasinac if both loaned would then take our loanees up to 11

Post #541166  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:19 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
Norton-Cuffy (youth team right back, 18 years old) has gone on loan to Lincoln. Seems some are saying that's almost an accelerated loan for him as there are more experienced and older players who aren't getting loans. I've watched him a few times in U18 highlights and he always looked physically too good for those age groups.

It would be good to get some good defenders come through the youth system, who was the last defender who came through and even had a handful of games for the first team even if they weren't considered to have 'made it'?

Have you forgotten Bellerin? Didn’t he come through the youth system even though he joined us from Barcelona’s? A sort of Merida type example but signing players from other youth systems appears common. How about Mavropanis and Medley? Even Medley joined us from Chelsea’s youth set up.

Maitland-Niles must surely have played most of his first team football for us at right back.

I did forget Bellerin. I suppose I don't quite count him the same way as a Saka for example, but we should even if we pick these players up when they're already 15/16, getting a player from 16 to the men's team must be hugely difficult.
Mavropanos I wouldn't count as I think he might have only played less than 2-3 times and was maybe 20 when he joined.
Medley I'd discount as he has barely played any first team games that I can recall
AMN, yes if he decides he's now a full back he'd be one to count.

Who was the last big 6 central defender to come up through a big 6 academy and properly establish themselves in the side? There really aren't anywhere near as many as the forward positions. Are we going back to John Terry?

Post #541167  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:30 pm 

Rich wrote:
Who was the last big 6 central defender to come up through a big 6 academy and properly establish themselves in the side? There really aren't anywhere near as many as the forward positions. Are we going back to John Terry?

Ledley King is the same age as John Terry. Staying with Tottenham, surely Eric Dier must be considered to have established himself.

Post #541168  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:27 pm 

Kolasinac has officially left the club, signing for Marseille.

Post #541169  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:22 pm 

I cannot believe we are on the brink of elimination.
2 0 down to Comoros Islands
Just scored
2 1!
Come on Ghana!

Post #541170  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:49 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I did forget Bellerin. I suppose I don't quite count him the same way as a Saka for example, but we should even if we pick these players up when they're already 15/16, getting a player from 16 to the men's team must be hugely difficult.
Mavropanos I wouldn't count as I think he might have only played less than 2-3 times and was maybe 20 when he joined.
Medley I'd discount as he has barely played any first team games that I can recall
AMN, yes if he decides he's now a full back he'd be one to count.

Suppose it depends what you mean as a handful of games. Mavropanos played eight times for Arsenal, but as you say he was twenty when he joined so is probably too old to count. I’d certainly call eight appearances a handful though.

Medley played three times, and very well each time. There was a time when I had hopes he might make it.

Post #541171  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:54 pm 

david.d wrote:
Just scored
2 1!
Come on Ghana!

Wow Ghana lost 3-2 and are eliminated. Good news for Arsenal as Partey comes home and may even be back in time to play against Burnley on Sunday. We’d need him with Xhaka still suspended for that game

Post #541172  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:54 pm 

We are out.
Embarrassing
Partey coming home early

Post #541173  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:54 pm 

david.d wrote:
Just scored
2 1!
Come on Ghana!

Sorry David, wasn't expecting Ghana to lose that one. At least Partey will be available for Arsenal soon!

Post #541174  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:59 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
david.d wrote:
Just scored
2 1!
Come on Ghana!

Sorry David, wasn't expecting Ghana to lose that one. At least Partey will be available for Arsenal soon!

Cheers Haz.
Bitter sweet.
Finished bottom of the group and out but upside Partey coming back earlier than expected

Post #541175  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:02 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
david.d wrote:
Just scored
2 1!
Come on Ghana!

Quite remarkable and totally unexpected. Even 3rd placed teams have a chance of going through.

What happened then. Was Partey excellent and the rest less so? Or was he off the pace too?

Post #541176  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:53 pm 

Chelsea drop points against Brighton after a poor performance. They are 9 points ahead of us, and we have three games in hand...

Post #541177  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:06 pm 

Partey has the potential to have gone away mid season for a national tournament and not miss a single premier league game.

Also 9 points behind Chelsea with 3 games in hand now

Post #541178  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:09 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Quite remarkable and totally unexpected. Even 3rd placed teams have a chance of going through.

One of those 3rd placed teams with a chance is Cape Verde. There is a guy from Dublin playing in central defence for them. He plays for Shamrock Rovers. A few years ago, totally out of the blue, he was sent a LinkedIn message from the Cape Verde FA asking if he would be interested in representing them, his father being from there. He had never even considered it and here he is getting MOTM against Cameroon in the AFCON.

Post #541179  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:11 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

What happened then. Was Partey excellent and the rest less so? Or was he off the pace too?

Hi LTG
We are just not a good team anymore.
Our incredible exploits in the 2010 World Cup seem so long ago.
Partey undoubtedly the star but he cannot do it on his own.
We only started playing when we were 2 0 down.
And conceded a late equaliser vs Gabon in game 2.

Post #541180  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:21 pm 

david.d wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Hi LTG
We are just not a good team anymore.
Our incredible exploits in the 2010 World Cup seem so long ago.
Partey undoubtedly the star but he cannot do it on his own.
We only started playing when we were 2 0 down.
And conceded a late equaliser vs Gabon in game 2.

Thanks for that. Actually it was a very selfish question from me. I was hoping that Partey was maintaining the sort of form that he was showing for us before he left.

You do have my commiserations although I suspect that you will be in a minority of 1 on this forum with regards to Partey’s early departure.

Post #541181  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:33 am 

Hazuki wrote:
https://metro.co.uk/2022/01/18/arsenal-hector-bellerin-opens-up-transfer-exit-sends-message-mikel-arteta-15937471/?ito=newsnow-feed

Good interview with Bellerin here. As always, he comes across as a class act.

Bellerin added: ‘Arsenal are doing amazing and that makes me so happy. The player they got in my position is doing great.

‘There’s literally no hard feelings for me. It’s beautiful to see because I watch every single game and I want the guys to do well.

Yes, Bellerin has always stayed honest. No controversies from him.

Post #541182  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:37 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Kolasinac has officially left the club, signing for Marseille.

:58big-emoticons:

About time, he is a good player but somehow started to regress rapidly.

Marseille seems happy to take Arsenal rejects.

Post #541183  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:42 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Chelsea drop points against Brighton after a poor performance. They are 9 points ahead of us, and we have three games in hand...

We need to win our 3 games in hand with 21 goals to overtake them

Post #541184  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:23 am 

Bernard wrote:
grantyboy wrote:
Watched his highlights reel and not too impressed really. Looks very slow and more in the Bendtner / Giroud mould than anything electric. While a good option to deploy at times, is that what we need full time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXBqOAdbKRA

Read this write up of Vlahovic from around the end of last season. Sounds like you may not be too far off with some of your comments. However, regarding his quickness, while it says nobody would refer to him “as an out and out pace merchant, he doesn’t lack for speed either.” Hopefully that means he’s quicker than Giroud, who I always felt did lack for pace.

Having said that, I’m still a long way from thinking we’ll sign him, so it may all be academic anyway.

https://www.scoutedftbl.com/best-young- ... -vlahovic/

I couldn't open the link but did find another write up that seems to match what I saw in the video clips. https://www.sphinxfootball.com/scouting ... fiorentina

Overall Vlahovic seems to have lots of good attributes like attacking space between the lines (usually in the box), good in the air, holding play up, defends well but the report goes on to say "What he is not, though, is a striker who will create goals for himself out of nothing.". I still can't help thinking that after reading all that, he sounds like Giroud albeit from what I saw in the youtube videos he's a bit more agile with a quicker change of direction to get between defenders in the 6 yard box.

Post #541185  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:51 am 

Hi Granty boy

I must admit to being a bit nervous about splashing out the best part of 60M on (in my opinion) a not totally proven 21 year old striker but to be honest I’ve never really seen “Sir Harry” create many goals out of nothing either and we all know how people rate him but to be honest I have never really taken much interest in his goal scoring talents.

I’d be interested if there are others on the forum that would share that view about Kane or even to just tell me that I haven’t got a clue!

Post #541186  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:54 am 

The northern African countries seem to dominate the semis and finals in the ANC. I am not going to put it down to better talent, Salah aside and a few others over the years, the west African sides (Nigeria, Ghana, Senegal, Cameroon, etc) have had some truly world class or near world class players. More than in the same team and at times, almost the whole team has played abroad. Different level conferences/leagues but still, I have to assume if you have been brought to Europe from west Africa, you had to be fairly special to differentiate yourself.

Is it coaching? What? Also, with the resources they have I'm surprised South Africa doesn't do better. .

Post #541187  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:07 am 

We are on the cusp of a remarkable year. If we spend more than would otherwise seem prudent for someone I won't fault the club.

We have a unique opportunity. Fact is, no one would have dreamt of being top 4 after the first month. Top half seemed to be the more likely goal. Plenty of sides spend big and they flop. They rolled the dice. Pépé isn't worth the 70 mil paid but you win some and lose some.

I assume at the time, Bergkamp was an expensive buy. Sol was an expensive buy. He came on a free but we paid a lot of that back in wages. Ben White and Ramsdale were seen as too expensive but have now proven their worth and may even be considered a bargain after the fact if their form is taken into consideration.

If we squander this golden opportunity for top 4 by not spending when we could, we are not a big club.

If our form keeps up as we hope, whisper it but 3rd place may not seem too far fetched come May and June.

Post #541188  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:14 am 

azinoz wrote:
Hi Granty boy

I must admit to being a bit nervous about splashing out the best part of 60M on (in my opinion) a not totally proven 21 year old striker but to be honest I’ve never really seen “Sir Harry” create many goals out of nothing either and we all know how people rate him but to be honest I have never really taken much interest in his goal scoring talents.

I’d be interested if there are others on the forum that would share that view about Kane or even to just tell me that I haven’t got a clue!

Kane has developed a good range of passing as he’s got older, and as he’s dropped deeper. He was actually top scorer and top assister in the league last year.
I think we dream of a striker who can score, assist and make something out of nothing - Henry! But there aren’t many of those around.
I’m not saying Vlahovic is the answer but I’ll happily have a striker who scores 25 league goals every season without getting a single assist

Post #541189  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:29 am 

It's interesting that Vlahovic is being compared to Giroud, because I think a 25-year old Giroud would've been a great signing for this team. His lack of pace was detrimental to him being a lone striker at the time we signed him, but we have a completely different system now - he was an excellent target man with the ability to bring others into play, combine that with 14-15 goals and we would've looked really good.

Post #541190  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:43 am 

Hazuki wrote:
It's interesting that Vlahovic is being compared to Giroud, because I think a 25-year old Giroud would've been a great signing for this team. His lack of pace was detrimental to him being a lone striker at the time we signed him, but we have a completely different system now - he was an excellent target man with the ability to bring others into play, combine that with 14-15 goals and we would've looked really good.
Always thought Giroud was a little underrated - was skilled with the ball at his feet, a fine finisher and excellent header. Had a good attitude too.

Hope it goes well for Kolasinac - he came on the scene with some impressive power but never really pushed on. In that respect he reminded me of Vermaelen, another who had something special in him that was rarely shown in our shirt.

Post #541191  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:10 am 

david.d wrote:
Just scored
2 1!
Come on Ghana!

That is a bit of a shocker. Comoros! That is a bit like England losing to Iceland. :laughing7:

Console yourself with the thought that Partey can slot straight back into the Arsenal midfield.

Post #541192  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:13 am 

Decaf wrote:
david.d wrote:
Just scored
2 1!
Come on Ghana!

That is a bit of a shocker. Comoros! That is a bit like England losing to Iceland. :laughing7:

Console yourself with the thought that Partey can slot straight back into the Arsenal midfield.

Or perhaps the Faroe Islands. :icon_mrgreen1:

Post #541193  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:17 am 

Hazuki wrote:

Hi Haz,

I agree with that to a large extent. At the moment we are relying on Lacazette's physicality and hold-up play to allow others in the team to flourish. Giroud, with his height, strength and excellent hold-up play would have served this current side very well.

That said, in an ideal world I would like a striker with decent pace to give us options over the top and down the channels.

I am not convinced that the Vlahovic will happen, infact I very much doubt it will.......too much money and seemingly too many people attempting to get their snout in the trough. Plus, if Vlahovic is sensible he will probably wait until the summer when his fee will be lower and his options greater. Whoever doesn't get Haaland will probably see Vlahovic as a very attractive second choice.

Post #541194  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:19 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Sol was an expensive buy. He came on a free but we paid a lot of that back in wages.

When you consider what his transfer fee would have been, I think it’s stretching things massively to describe Sol as an expensive buy.

Anyway, I would say ‘signing’ is a far better word to use than ‘buy’ in his case. He didn’t cost a single penny in transfer fees. So we signed him from his previous employer for zero outlay to Tottenham. The cost was solely in the payments to him (and as with every player his agent). I suggest that makes ‘buy’ the wrong word.

When or if a bank or supermarket appoints a senior executive from another supermarket or bank with no compensation to the former employer, I’ve never heard it called a ‘buy’ whatever the individual’s pay increase allegedly is.

Post #541195  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:20 am 

Although no one wants to consider it, point wise, 3rd place is open. City will win it, Liverpool will be runner up but its no where close to a foregone conclusion Chelsea will be 3rd. Likely? Yeah. But they'll have to maintain a pretty good form to be 3rd.

The fight for 4th will probably bring out the best form of those clubs competing for it and if Chelsea falters a little and one of the top four challengers plays better than expected, well...do the math.

Yes, it has a bit of the planets aligning thingy to it but if you look at the games in hand, and the form table, its a fairly open race. Depending on who goes in and out with the challengers can change things as well.

Post #541196  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:22 am 

I've long been a fan of Giroud. He was well respected and liked at Chelsea which suggests we made the wrong decision. He has his own song there. He continued to do for them what he did for us. Come off the bench and change games.

Giroud was he we bought after RvP left and he was never, ever going to live up to that. Ever. That was his crime initially. He wasn't RvP.

Post #541197  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:24 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Always thought Giroud was a little underrated - was skilled with the ball at his feet, a fine finisher and excellent header. Had a good attitude too.

100%. Always liked Giroud. Best header of the ball up front since Alan Smith IMO.

Post #541198  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:01 am 

azinoz wrote:
Hi Granty boy

I must admit to being a bit nervous about splashing out the best part of 60M on (in my opinion) a not totally proven 21 year old striker

Morning Az

I haven't seen much of Vlahovic beyond a cursory viewing of one or two of his goal compilations. On the face of it, he has an excellent scoring record but quite a few seemed to be penalties. Some of the defending was pretty ropey as well. Our transfer team have done well recently so I'm inclined to believe they know what they're doing, and if the Kroenkes want to fork out their money, why not?

Post #541199  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:08 am 

Martin Ødegaard, Emile Smith Rowe, Takehiro Tomiyasu, Bukayo Saka and Calum Chambers are all expected to be available for Arsenal’s Carabao Cup semi-final second-leg tomorrow night.

Cédric is the only player expected not to be available for Mikel Arteta

Post #541200  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:10 am 

Decaf wrote:
david.d wrote:
Just scored
2 1!
Come on Ghana!

Cheers Decaf.
That's definitely a positive re Partey.

Really hoping Leicester and Brentford can both do us a favour tonight against Spurs and Utd.
Would be massive if they can drop points.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13527, 13528, 13529, 13530, 13531, 13532, 13533 ... 14269  Next