Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Googlebot and 89 guests

Post #560161  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:15 am 

warrior wrote:
DHD wrote:
Unfortunately Judith, Warrior has changed. £80,000 a week has gone to his head.

Sad.

Don't get mad at him. I suggest you steal his identity, strip his bank accounts and then make him a Spurs supporter.

Post #560162  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:06 am 

We are more than capable of getting a draw at City, but a loss wouldn't be a shock to anyone. That said, a lot of things gotta happen. We need Liverpool to do something for us. It will give us a wee bit of breathing room. If City beat Pool, I fear the worse.

Post #560163  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:14 am 

Although we are capable, even Chelsea at home is no foregone conclusion, its a huge London derby. Newcastle away is very tricky. Liverpool away even moreso. Ideally 2 wins a draw, but....I don't know. A draw at City is paramount. I won't contemplate a win.

Post #560164  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:41 am 

Got up at 3 am watched the whole game ... that was a big win . Palace might be *%^@ but they can be tricky ; thought they might get the new manager bounce a la Everton . Went back to bed , woke up minus about three hours sleep ..... felt like sh** .

but tonight decided to have a couple of decent rums ...... he ha .....
Wish Harlow , Bernard , Cannon or Daz were around

In this squad there is plenty of room for improvement , Trossard will bed in , Jesus to get fully fit .
Think what we need is a lumpy Dion Dublin Niall Quinn up front to give us more options ......at the moment we have to rely on unpicking the lock .

My plea to Mikel , PLEASE PLEASE inform Ramsdale he is not Franz Beckenbauer or David O Leary v Liverpool '89
playing some sort of sweeping role get back somewhere near your goal or you are going to look ***** stupid like you did v Sporting
Stop wandering around like some bloody deranged Bedouin / Aborigine .

Post #560165  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:01 am 

kiwipete wrote:

Got up at 3 am watched the whole game ... that was a big win . Palace might be *%^@ but they can be tricky ; thought they might get the new manager bounce a la Everton . Went back to bed , woke up minus about three hours sleep ..... felt like sh** .

but tonight decided to have a couple of decent rums ...... he ha .....
Wish Harlow , Bernard , Cannon or Daz were around

In this squad there is plenty of room for improvement , Trossard will bed in , Jesus to get fully fit .
Think what we need is a lumpy Dion Dublin Niall Quinn up front to give us more options ......at the moment we have to rely on unpicking the lock .

My plea to Mikel , PLEASE PLEASE inform Ramsdale he is not Franz Beckenbauer or David O Leary v Liverpool '89
playing some sort of sweeping role get back somewhere near your goal or you are going to look ***** stupid like you did v Sporting

Greetings Kiwi
I would partially agree about need for a more physical cf as an option upfront. It seems obvious, but a) we are doing pretty well with our posse of expert lockpickers (Ødegaard, Martinelli, Saka, Trossard/Jesus), and b) Jesus is pretty nuggety. So perhaps it is better to play to our strengths, and if desperate push the two centrebacks and Partey forward.
I completely disagree with the second point. That goal required a perfect shot from 50 yards. It was just below the bar and Ramsdale almost got back for it. The benefit of Ramsdale sweeping and making himself a passing option hugely outweighs the very small chance of being made to look silly like that.

Post #560166  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:09 am 

kiwipete wrote:

Exactly what I've been saying because we have just such a player.
Falorin Balogun, and top scorer in the whole of Europe, and or am I doing a TG overexagoration.

Post #560167  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:18 am 

Decaf wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Greetings Kiwi
I would partially agree about need for a more physical cf as an option upfront. It seems obvious, but a) we are doing pretty well with our posse of expert lockpickers (Ødegaard, Martinelli, Saka, Trossard/Jesus), and b) Jesus is pretty nuggety. So perhaps it is better to play to our strengths, and if desperate push the two centrebacks and Partey forward.
I completely disagree with the second point. That goal required a perfect shot from 50 yards. It was just below the bar and Ramsdale almost got back for it. The benefit of Ramsdale sweeping and making himself a passing option hugely outweighs the very small chance of being made to look silly like that.

Bon Jour Decaf ..... partially agree ??? we saw against Newcastle they defend deep .... ..we can huff and puff for 90 min plus and come up with f***all.

These are the slippery little details that escape you Mopane worm eaters ... just because we are doing okay with the current squad doesn't mean we cant improve .
As Bubblechris says in the next post

Anybody who watched live ..... I think it was a League Cup semi final [ cant be arsed checking ] us v Spurs mid 80's Allinson Rocastle scored .
Quinn won everything in the air ....at the moment we don't have that option ..... a collection of midgets upfront .

Your second point .....you dont have to be that precise '; any half decent lob is going to beat him .

Why does he have to be floating around twenty yards out of his goal .... if it was OK for Seamann , Lehrmann , Pat Jennings and F****** Bob Wilson to hover near their goal ...why cant that flouncy canary yellow fairy floss do the same

Post #560168  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:42 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Greetings Kiwi

Your second point .....you dont have to be that precise '; any half decent lob is going to beat him .

Thing is kiwi it’s not. He’s not always miles off his line and many of the teams we play can’t hit the target inside our penalty area let alone the halfway line. The goal against sporting is an absolute precision hit, Ramsdale is just around the penalty spot at the moment of the strike and he almost gets back to it. Sometimes you just need to put your hands up and say that’s a pretty remarkable goal and I’ll put the bottle of rum away for the night.

Post #560169  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:50 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Greetings Kiwi

Bon Jour Decaf ..... partially agree ??? we saw against Newcastle they defend deep .... ..we can huff and puff for 90 min plus and come up with f***all.

These are the slippery little details that escape you Mopane worm eaters ... just because we are doing okay with the current squad doesn't mean we cant improve .
As Bubblechris says in the next post

Anybody who watched live ..... I think it was a League Cup semi final [ cant be arsed checking ] us v Spurs mid 80's Allinson Rocastle scored .
Quinn won everything in the air ....at the moment we don't have that option ..... a collection of midgets upfront .

Why does he have to be floating around twenty yards out of his goal .... if it was OK for Seamann , Lehrmann , Pat Jennings and F****** Bob Wilson to hover near their goal ...why cant that flouncy canary yellow fairy floss do the same

When you have had a bit of sleep and the rum has worked its way out of your system
a) have another look at the Sporting goal. It needed a perfect hit--hard and perfectly placed. A half decent lob would have been easy meat for Ramsdale. He wasn't even out of position.
b) although we can obviously get better, not every change, particularly the antiquated ones you advocate would make us so.
Try to wrap your head around the concepts of progress and tradeoffs.
i. unless you pay close to 100 million pounds and massive wages, you aren't going to get a striker who is big and ugly and skillful enough to play in our system and/or willing to sit on the bench.
ii. if Ramsdale stays on his goal-line, our CBs won't be able to push forward or we'd be hugely vulnerable to the ball over the top.

Post #560170  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:53 am 

History will never forget Midos cross bar challenge. Love the laughter as soon as he hits it

https://youtu.be/pNAA4RL9US0

Post #560171  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:06 pm 

What was weird yesterday was the number of empty seats for a Sold out game. In Particular in the upper tier.

Thing is Stick a ticket in ticket exchange and it will shift within 30 minutes these days I guarantee you. So why on earth are there so many empty ones given that people can get money for the exchange and that Arsenal are going for the title and we are the hottest ticket in town right now. (Kardashian’s turning up!)

Post #560172  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:10 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
What was weird yesterday was the number of empty seats for a Sold out game. In Particular in the upper tier.

Thing is Stick a ticket in ticket exchange and it will shift within 30 minutes these days I guarantee you. So why on earth are there so many empty ones given that people can get money for the exchange and that Arsenal are going for the title and we are the hottest ticket in town right now. (Kardashian’s turning up!)

Even Yaya Sanogo turned up apparently!

Post #560173  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:46 pm 

Tomiyasu needs surgery and is out for the rest of the season. We'll probably see Walters on the bench for the rest of the season as well

Post #560174  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:57 pm 

Rich wrote:
Tomiyasu needs surgery and is out for the rest of the season. We'll probably see Walters on the bench for the rest of the season as well

Does pose the question who plays right back if we lose Ben white. Partey played there yesterday at the end but it would be madness to move him surely.

Bigger worry is saliba who is critical and the thought of Holding starting at anfield is terrifying to me

Post #560175  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:03 pm 

One thing I noticed on the highlights was when Ben White had a big tackle on Zaha and then another one on Mitchell, he was so intent on stamping his authority on the second one he just booted the ball hard out for a corner, when it wasn't really necessary. He had a bit of a fist pump celebration with Xhaka and the crowd. That corner was the one that Palace scored from.

In the grand scheme of things not a problem but it is just a tiny thing where the emotion took over, he didn't have to concede the corner.

Obviously I'm nit picking because he had one of his finest games in an Arsenal shirt

Post #560176  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:08 pm 

Rich wrote:
One thing I noticed on the highlights was when Ben White had a big tackle on Zaha and then another one on Mitchell, he was so intent on stamping his authority on the second one he just booted the ball hard out for a corner, when it wasn't really necessary. He had a bit of a fist pump celebration with Xhaka and the crowd. That corner was the one that Palace scored from.

In the grand scheme of things not a problem but it is just a tiny thing where the emotion took over, he didn't have to concede the corner.

Obviously I'm nit picking because he had one of his finest games in an Arsenal shirt

i made notice of it too and before the corner was taken I said to a friend 'I have a bad feeling about this corner'.
It was unnecessary but in the grand scheme of things not a factor...it could have been though. It's an emotional game in the moment so I get it, but still.

Post #560177  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:09 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

Does pose the question who plays right back if we lose Ben white. Partey played there yesterday at the end but it would be madness to move him surely.

Bigger worry is saliba who is critical and the thought of Holding starting at anfield is terrifying to me

Against teams where we would expect to dominate I think you could play Walters, you could even play Partey and put Jorginho in midfield.

The worry would be having to face a top side away from home without White. If Saliba comes back soon I think he would be capable of playing RB - more capable than Holding.

For all the reasons above I would have thought it might have been good to give Walters 15 minutes against Palace when we were 4-1 up - could have got rid of any nerves ahead of a time he might be needed in a starting place

Post #560178  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:10 pm 

Rich wrote:

I saw that and at the time I saw them fist bumping I said to the guy next to me just watch they will score from this corner now. Corners seem to be our kryptonite and it’s definitely not Rambos strongest area either.

One thing noticeable yesterday was our ferocity at winning the ball back. As soon as their player took possession he was descended upon by several of our players. There was a brilliant moment in the 2nd half when this happened. They just couldn’t get out.

Post #560179  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:26 pm 

Thinking about the RB situation again - one fairly radical option would be Partey at RB but instructed to be an inverted full-back like Zinchenko. You'd need whoever played left-back to do the role Ben White does - which may suit Tierney better.
So you build with a back 3 of Saliba, Gabriel, Tierney, Partey inverted in to midfield with Jorginho and the rest is the same

Post #560180  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:40 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Thing is kiwi it’s not. He’s not always miles off his line and many of the teams we play can’t hit the target inside our penalty area let alone the halfway line. The goal against sporting is an absolute precision hit, Ramsdale is just around the penalty spot at the moment of the strike and he almost gets back to it. Sometimes you just need to put your hands up and say that’s a pretty remarkable goal and I’ll put the bottle of rum away for the night.

............................................................................................................

but ...but ...TG ... he is ....the flaky Yorkshire yellow lollipop *%^@ is always way out of where he should be ... if I was any opposing team ... I'd say hit and hope
... who could do it Salah Ings Madison Song Harrison Haarland

Last edited by warrior on Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Quote fixed

Post #560181  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:45 pm 

Rich wrote:
Thinking about the RB situation again - one fairly radical option would be Partey at RB but instructed to be an inverted full-back like Zinchenko. You'd need whoever played left-back to do the role Ben White does - which may suit Tierney better.
So you build with a back 3 of Saliba, Gabriel, Tierney, Partey inverted in to midfield with Jorginho and the rest is the same

The problem is you are changing the teams tactics in 3 areas left back, right back and midfield to accommodate 1 missing player. I think more likely in the event we lose Ben White you will see Zinny at right back. I do think what you said about walters makes sense, give him 20 minutes because moving Partey out of midfield right now must be a last resort

Post #560182  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:46 pm 

kiwipete wrote:

but ...but ...TG ... he is ....the flaky Yorkshire yellow lollipop *%^@ is always way out of where he should be ... if I was any opposing team ... I'd say hit and hope
... who could do it Salah Ings Madison Song Harrison Haarland[/quote]
Ings

:14laughter:

McCartney, Lennon, Harrison, Starr …

Post #560183  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:23 pm 

Rashford pulls out of englands 2 games with a knock. So a player who is fit all year just gets a knock before 2 weeks of international games, odds on him being available for Man U’s next game? Such bad luck for Rashford to miss the games for his country….

Post #560184  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:22 pm 

Watching Zaha offer zero defensive contribution in our last game made me realise that I can’t ever see Arteta signing this type of player. An older player who has never worked hard out of possession won’t be taught new tricks, we saw who Arteta wanted out quickly.
Compare Zaha losing the ball and throwing his hands in the air with our lot who sprint back like a pack of dogs. If you’re young you can be taught that level of desire, if you’re older and have that natural desire and discipline in your game then you might stand a chance of playing for Arteta.

Post #560185  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:05 pm 

Rich wrote:
... If you’re young you can be taught that level of desire, if you’re older and have that natural desire and discipline in your game then you might stand a chance of playing for Arteta.
Interestingly, and perhaps surprisingly, it was Willian's great effort in getting back to rectify his error that backfired so disastrously for Fulham. Not suggesting we re-sign him! Wasn't impressed by his claim that the ball hit his chest either.

Post #560186  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:10 pm 

Man Utd were (are) so dirty back then.

Post #560187  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:14 pm 

Rich wrote:

Was it unnecessary? I wondered at the time. In any case, Xhaka giving him a hug was a lovely moment. I'm not sure if I have ever seen a team that shows such a strong sense of unity.

Post #560188  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:16 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Rich wrote:
... If you’re young you can be taught that level of desire, if you’re older and have that natural desire and discipline in your game then you might stand a chance of playing for Arteta.
Interestingly, and perhaps surprisingly, it was Willian's great effort in getting back to rectify his error that backfired so disastrously for Fulham. Not suggesting we re-sign him! Wasn't impressed by his claim that the ball hit his chest either.

Not least because his team-mate seemed to believe him and got sent off for his troubles too!

Post #560189  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:03 pm 

Points tally after 28 games

Liverpool 19/20 - 79
ARSENAL 22/23 - 69
Man City 21/22 - 69
Man City 18/19 - 69
Liverpool 18/19 - 68
Liverpool 21/22 - 66
Man City 20/21 - 65
Man City 22/23 - 61
Man City 19/20 - 60
Leicester 15/16 - 57
Liverpool 20/21 - 46
Liverpool 22/23 - 42

*taken from twitter*

This is not like Leicester City's season, rival fans will say that to discredit us

Post #560190  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:05 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:

Was it unnecessary? I wondered at the time. In any case, Xhaka giving him a hug was a lovely moment. I'm not sure if I have ever seen a team that shows such a strong sense of unity.

I just thought when I saw it that he didn't need to boot it for a corner, if he wanted to make a statement by going in hard at a ball he was 95% certain to win he could have booted it for a throw, or not let the emotion take over and just get his body in front and draw the foul. Agreed that it was a good moment in terms of the team fighting for each other, and if Palace don't score from the corner I wouldnt have mentioned it

Post #560191  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:51 pm 

Post #560192  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:03 pm 

Geez ...stopped drinking rum at 5.45 am .... I tell ya wisdom takes a fair while to arrive in some peoples lives .

Of no importance to most but John Sattler ; a true Aussie rugby league icon passed away . I met him . had the pleasure of having a beer / yarn with him at my son's local the Runcorn Pub in Brisbane about eighteen years ago ...an absolute gentleman .

Hard as nails

Ben White and Martinelli go down holding their face when someone brushes their sock .

This guy played about 75 minutes of a grand final with a broken jaw

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/south- ... 5ctqb.html

Post #560193  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:39 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

... who could do it Salah Ings Madison Song Harrison Haarland

Ings

:14laughter:

McCartney, Lennon, Harrison, Starr …[/quote]
:laughing7: :sign19:

Post #560194  Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:50 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Geez ...stopped drinking rum at 5.45 am .... I tell ya wisdom takes a fair while to arrive in some peoples lives .

Of no importance to most but John Sattler ; a true Aussie rugby league icon passed away . I met him . had the pleasure of having a beer / yarn with him at my son's local the Runcorn Pub in Brisbane about eighteen years ago ...an absolute gentleman .

Hard as nails

Ben White and Martinelli go down holding their face when someone brushes their sock .

This guy played about 75 minutes of a grand final with a broken jaw

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/south- ... 5ctqb.html

This is what happens when you get old, you give up early and go to bed. When you were on your game : off to work. Bex or Vincents when you arrive at work, Pie for morning tea, and get a beer down at lunch and bobs your uncle.

Post #560195  Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:26 am 

Fingers crossed for all our players returning healthy from international duty. If Trossard and Ødegaard can leave one on De Bruyne and Haaland respectively in training that would help as well.

It helps that none of our Brazilians have been called up and that for whatever off pitch reason Southgate won’t call up the best English defender in the league this season in Ben White.

I also read that Zinchenko only has games in London for Ukraine so he won’t be fatigued by travel

Post #560196  Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:55 am 

Think you will see a new right back coming in this summer. Just can’t rely on Tommy anymore. He’s made of paper mache. Such a shame as he’s a fine player

Post #560197  Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:44 am 

Haaland has pulled out of Norway’s two games against Spain and Georgia because of a groin injury. What a farce. Players should be assessed by an independent physio/doctor at international call ups. Haaland will be fine for City’s next game no doubt about it. We should pull Ødegaard out right away

Post #560198  Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:59 am 

Wot on earth are Palace doing :laughing7:

Post #560199  Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:00 am 

Rich wrote:
Haaland has pulled out of Norway’s two games against Spain and Georgia because of a groin injury. What a farce. Players should be assessed by an independent physio/doctor at international call ups. Haaland will be fine for City’s next game no doubt about it. We should pull Ødegaard out right away

They are qualifiers though so it’s not like Ferguson resting giggs for wales friendlies.

Post #560200  Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:03 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Wot on earth are Palace doing :laughing7:

I would assume they are trying to avoid relegation. One of those seasons when anyone could go down in the bottom group.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 14002, 14003, 14004, 14005, 14006, 14007, 14008 ... 14269  Next