Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 111 guests

Post #536281  Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:48 pm 

Maybe the title was not completely accurate, I don't know but the fouling in the replay was insane. Where the eff was the ref?

Post #536282  Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:03 pm 

This game was interesting. There were more than a few close calls.

Post #536283  Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:15 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I didn’t think Cliff Richard was either arrested or charged though.

Charges were dropped due to lack of evidence. The furore was because someone at the police as good as invited the press, was it the BBC?, to film the police forcibly entering Cliff's home and arresting him. Completely unnecessary and very embarrassing to anyone, let alone to Cliff Richard.
Thank you - you have answered Bernard's question for me - I believe the BBC had helicopters flying above Cliff Richard's home as the police arrived to question him. The subsequent BBC pay out to him suggests that it was not a case of brilliant investigative journalism, but more about an improper police/media link over the raid. Sad to say the BBC I grew up with is a poor shadow of its former self.

Post #536284  Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:17 pm 

Rich wrote:
A future Arsenal women’s team footballer came in to the world today, my beautiful daughter Isabelle was born this morning. Everyone healthy and happy.
She’s already told me to not bother with balloons and teddys, all she wants as a present is 3 points v Palace!
Wonderful news - many congratulations to you all.

Post #536285  Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:20 pm 

Rich wrote:
A future Arsenal women’s team footballer came in to the world today, my beautiful daughter Isabelle was born this morning. Everyone healthy and happy.
She’s already told me to not bother with balloons and teddys, all she wants as a present is 3 points v Palace!

Beautiful Rich. All the best. Isabelle sounds like a winner already.

Post #536286  Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:12 pm 

Rich wrote:

Great news and congratulations to you and your partner.

Post #536287  Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:37 pm 

Rich wrote:

Many, many congratulations Rich. :53big-emoticons:

Post #536288  Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:07 am 

Rich wrote:

Congratulations Rich!

Post #536289  Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:10 am 

Hindsight is 20/20 and there was no way to know the future but had we stayed with Martinez, we would have saved ourselves time and money, no? Well, maybe not money since we presumably got a fee as well.

Funny how things work out. Can't see Leno staying.

Post #536290  Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:40 am 

Fury vs Wilder III. I have always been a boxing fan. Philly is known in America or at least in boxing circles as a 'boxing town' with some of the best boxers in history. In modern times, Bernard Hopkins, Joe Frazier, Meldrick Taylor, and many others. Sylvester Stallone wrote Rocky being from Philly for that very reason. All of us boxed as teens. Most of us, including myself giving up the sport fairly quickly haha...it was just what you did. But you learned a lot about yourself.

Anyway, Fury is a fairly heavy favorite and deserves to be so. The way I see it Fury should win. Comfortably, if I'm honest. Wilder has 2 things going for him. The undefinable hunger for redeeming himself. Frazier beat Ali the first time on hate. Yes, Ali was off for 3 years but Frazier was going to die in the ring before letting Ali win because of how Ali talked about him, calling him a gorilla in the wake of the '60s. Wilder may have some of that drive in him that may help him overcome deficiencies to redeem himself at all costs. He has a great punch. He only needs to connect squarely once as in the first fight. How Fury got up, I have no idea.

Anyway, in the comment section I notice that most Americans are cheering for Fury. It's puzzling. In a country that is very nationalistic to the point its a detriment, I find it odd. If both fighters were fighting in the Olympic final they would all be cheering for Wilder. Same thing when Mayweather fought McGregor, most American fans were cheering for McGregor. Again, a head scratcher.

I cheer for anyone I have a connection to. If they are from Philadelphia, American, an Arsenal fan, whatever, I cheer for them.

Post #536291  Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:08 am 

Congratulations Rich! That’s fantastic news.

Post #536292  Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:25 am 

On the Football London website, I see that Arteta is concerned about Tomiyasu facing a 24-hour flight back from Australia after Japan plays a World Cup qualifier here on Tuesday. I suspect that Mikel is aware - and perhaps someone should tell Football London - that the game is being played in Japan. That's some incisive journalism there.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... u-21810571

Post #536293  Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:47 pm 

Thanks everyone for the best wishes and congratulations on our new arrival. I’m planning to stick Andorra v Wngland on the rb tonight to help me catch up on some sleep

Post #536294  Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:21 pm 

Rich wrote:
Thanks everyone for the best wishes and congratulations on our new arrival. I’m planning to stick Andorra v Wngland on the rb tonight to help me catch up on some sleep

Ah those were good old days you’re making me remember. First one we had no idea what we’re doing. Zero *%^@*** sleep for weeks.

Iron mate get lots of Iron. Lots of liver and spinach and Stout ! Loads and loads of stout. Keep that energy up

Post #536295  Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:22 pm 

Southgate loves Saka doesn’t he. Struggles to pick a side without him.

Post #536296  Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:06 pm 

Congratulations Rich to you and your Partner on your new arrival.
Enjoy!

Post #536297  Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:26 am 

https://www.justarsenal.com/guendouzi-c ... how/292984

Poor guy can do no right

Post #536298  Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:28 am 

https://www.ghanafa.org/kudus-partey-sc ... t-zimbabwe

Well done Partey, time to score for Arsenal too

Post #536299  Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:14 am 

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... e-21811591

Would be funny, not, should Saliba snub us and go elsewhere

Post #536300  Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:14 am 

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... e-21811591

Would be funny, not, should Saliba snub us and go elsewhere

Post #536301  Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:15 am 

Congratulations to Arteta for winning Manager of the Month. Hope you keep it up! :53big-emoticons:

Post #536302  Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:44 am 

gooner7 wrote:
https://www.justarsenal.com/guendouzi-criticised-for-trying-to-be-the-show/292984

Poor guy can do no right

It’s strange that he’s been called up to the French squad for their World Cup qualifiers, if he’s really been so poor for Marseille. France are probably many people’s idea for the best national team in world football. Why has the French equivalent of Gareth Southgate (I don’t follow international football closely enough to know his name) done that?

EDIT: Just looked up who France’s head coach is. It’s Didier Deschamps, himself a former midfielder who can only be described as having a great playing career at club and international level. Odd if he’s useless at judging midfielders. Theoretically not impossible, but seems a bit unlikely. Especially considering the current job he has been given to do.

Post #536303  Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:18 am 

gooner7 wrote:
https://www.justarsenal.com/guendouzi-criticised-for-trying-to-be-the-show/292984

Poor guy can do no right

I think Guendouzi now has that reputation where a lot of people will end up coming out with a negative opinion of whatever he does. Plenty of much more high profile players have this as well, Pogba and Luiz are two examples I can think of.
There are things pundits are using as examples to criticise Guendouzi which would be loudly prized of it were a different player with a different reputation.
That said I think it was the right time for him to move on from Arsenal, there was clearly a clash with Arteta and he was not the direction he wanted to take.

Post #536304  Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:51 am 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... a-25176405

IMO, Martinelli is a star waiting to flourish. Why he hasn't done so is a big surprise.

Post #536305  Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:57 am 

Rich wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Poor guy can do no right

I think Guendouzi now has that reputation where a lot of people will end up coming out with a negative opinion of whatever he does. Plenty of much more high profile players have this as well, Pogba and Luiz are two examples I can think of.
There are things pundits are using as examples to criticise Guendouzi which would be loudly prized of it were a different player with a different reputation.
That said I think it was the right time for him to move on from Arsenal, there was clearly a clash with Arteta and he was not the direction he wanted to take.

I think you’ve summed things up nicely Rich. Some people appear to have an agenda with Guendouzi. If his personality is as flawed as some suggest, why has he been made captain of the French Under 23 team?

The report linked above criticises him for covering all four corners of the pitch. There have been some Arsenal performances with our midfield lacking energy and work rate when my own feeling is we could have done with somebody doing that. In short, I agree with you that he gets criticism for attributes other players would get praise for.

I also agree that it’s probably time for her m to move on. The only thing that could feasibly change my mind on that is if Arteta is sacked.

Post #536306  Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:46 pm 

Congratulations Rich.

Always great to hear good news.

Post #536307  Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:26 pm 

Fury vs. Wilder III was a great spectacle. Not boring at all. Fury, deserved winner. Congratulations to him.
However....truth is both did well in a weak boxing era. The heavyweight division is weak and has been for some time. Neither figher (and I'll include Joshua, Klitschko, and others) wouldn't have survived against the best heavyweights of the '90s.

None of the aforementioned would have gotten past a prime, Lewis, Tyson, Bowe, Moorer, Holeyfield and possibly against the old 90s versions of Foreman and Holmes and certainly no chance of either in their prime.

I consider the 70s the greatest heavyweight era, ever. There were guys in that decade who were never champion would have been even in the '90s possibly and certainly in the new century.

Post #536308  Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:36 pm 

Rich wrote:

People could forgive his attitude if he was a great or even a good player. He can be...at times...but no where consistent enough to be called a great player.

Keane was a piece of work but at least he backed it up on the pitch.

Post #536309  Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:40 am 

Look at #10 of this graphic of richest club owners. :1laughter:

Attachment:

Post #536310  Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:52 am 

grantyboy wrote:

Attachment:
Screenshot_20211011-163834.png

Poor old Spurs. Have all football websites given their proofreaders/subeditors a holiday during the international break? In a similar pie chart Rich posted a few days ago, the names of three clubs were spelled incorrectly, including (which was quite weird, given their prominence in relation to the current topic) 'Newcaslte'.

Post #536311  Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:33 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Attachment:
Screenshot_20211011-163834.png

Poor old Spurs. Have all football websites given their proofreaders/subeditors a holiday during the international break? In a similar pie chart Rich posted a few days ago, the names of three clubs were spelled incorrectly, including (which was quite weird, given their prominence in relation to the current topic) 'Newcaslte'.

My one came courtesy of The Sun so it's probably to be expected.

Pronunciation of Newcaslte is quite tricky. :)

Post #536312  Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:58 am 

Can’t get my head around the decision to allow France’s winning goal v Spain in the nations cup final last night. Through ball is played to Mbappe who is clearly a yard offside, the ball is only played for him, the Spain defender doesn’t know Mbappe is offside and stretches to try to cut the ball out, he gets a touch but not enough to clear the ball and it keeps rolling through to Mbappe who scored. The official line is the defenders touch registers a second phase of play and plays Mbappe onside. Utter nonsense. The only reason the defender tried to play the ball is to stop it getting to an offside Mbappe - he’s completely effecting the game and gaining an advantage from being offside.

Post #536313  Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:14 am 

Rich wrote:
Can’t get my head around the decision to allow France’s winning goal v Spain in the nations cup final last night. Through ball is played to Mbappe who is clearly a yard offside, the ball is only played for him, the Spain defender doesn’t know Mbappe is offside and stretches to try to cut the ball out, he gets a touch but not enough to clear the ball and it keeps rolling through to Mbappe who scored. The official line is the defenders touch registers a second phase of play and plays Mbappe onside. Utter nonsense. The only reason the defender tried to play the ball is to stop it getting to an offside Mbappe - he’s completely effecting the game and gaining an advantage from being offside.

There is an easy explanation for this.....the match officials including VAR were PL refs.

Post #536314  Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:43 am 

dec wrote:
Rich wrote:

There is an easy explanation for this.....the match officials including VAR were PL refs.

Are you joking?

Post #536315  Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:51 am 

Rich wrote:
Thanks everyone for the best wishes and congratulations on our new arrival.

Heartiest congratulations, Rich.

Post #536316  Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:03 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Fury vs. Wilder III was a great spectacle. Not boring at all. Fury, deserved winner. Congratulations to him.
However....truth is both did well in a weak boxing era. The heavyweight division is weak and has been for some time. Neither figher (and I'll include Joshua, Klitschko, and others) wouldn't have survived against the best heavyweights of the '90s.

None of the aforementioned would have gotten past a prime, Lewis, Tyson, Bowe, Moorer, Holeyfield and possibly against the old 90s versions of Foreman and Holmes and certainly no chance of either in their prime.

I consider the 70s the greatest heavyweight era, ever. There were guys in that decade who were never champion would have been even in the '90s possibly and certainly in the new century.
Yes, agree with all that. Can't help liking Fury though - brings something interesting to the ring every time he fights.

Post #536317  Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:07 am 

dec wrote:
Rich wrote:

VAR is excellent. If only the PL officials were of the same standard. The nonsense that they trot out to explain the inexplicable is depressingly routine.

There would have been no controversy whatsoever if the goal had been disallowed for offside and everyone would have understood it.

Post #536318  Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:22 am 

Rich wrote:

Congratulations to you, your partner and family

Post #536319  Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:53 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
dec wrote:

Are you joking?

It's a tongue in cheek comment for sure but we have seen the absolute mess the PL refs made of VAR.

Post #536320  Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:59 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
dec wrote:

VAR is excellent. If only the PL officials were of the same standard. The nonsense that they trot out to explain the inexplicable is depressingly routine.

There would have been no controversy whatsoever if the goal had been disallowed for offside and everyone would have understood it.

Yep. The Euros were a great example of how well VAR can work. There were still incorrect or debatable calls but nothing like the circus of "controversy" we see in the PL. The offside rule involving the defender playing the ball is quite obviously there to cover the situation of a backpass being intercepted, but Anthony Taylor and his buddies had to intervene with their own daft interpretation last night which just might be technically arguable but has feck all to do with what the rule is intended for.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13405, 13406, 13407, 13408, 13409, 13410, 13411 ... 14269  Next