Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 101 guests

Post #541121  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:38 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
On February 13th we will have played two more games in the league - Burnley at home and Wolves away - unless there are more postponements. In that same period, Tottenham will have played four games - Leicester and Chelsea away, and then Southampton and Wolves at home. That means they will have caught up on their games in hand. We are currently two points ahead. Will be very interesting to see where we stand at that point. If we win our two games (which we should) Tottenham need nine points from those four games to go past us in the table.
I'd not take Wolves away for granted - if they don't lose this weekend to Brentford they will have gone six League matches undefeated by the time we meet them. A dangerous side.

Definitely - when I say we should win, I don't mean it's a foregone conclusion. They're a good side, and we'll need to turn up with a good performance. If we do that, we have a very good chance of winning.

Post #541122  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:41 pm 

We are saved:

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/africa-cup-of-nations/2022/pierre-emerick-aubameyang-to-return-to-arsenal-for-further-assessment-after-post-covid-heart-issues_sto8717134/story.shtml

Could make a decent RB.

Post #541123  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:44 pm 

Rich wrote:
Burnley have requested their match with Watford is postponed. Lets gauge the media reaction, because after all Burnley's depleted squad is part self-inflicted by selling Chris Wood to Newcastle......

Against the three that we've shifted out?

Post #541124  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:46 pm 

Rich wrote:
Can't count Man U or West Ham out of it. It is getting to that point now where you're celebrating every dropped point for any of those teams. I also start looking at those tougher fixtures they have as potential dropped points and get disappointed when a tough away game ends up as a win for them.

Man Utd are tricky to gauge, because as bad as they've been, they have a pretty decent run of fixtures coming up in January and February and they have players that can win those matches for them. But they're also under pressure because they're falling behind, and have Man City, Tottenham and Liverpool in March. If they're still behind when those games come up they run the risk of slipping further.

Post #541125  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:23 pm 

DHD wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
I agree with this in principle, but my point is that we didn't make the decision - the league could've denied our request if they didn't think the rules applied, but since our request was accepted it surely followed the same rules that applies to everyone else?

Like I said, my personal view is that the game should've been played (and I feel the same about many other cancelled games), but in the end all clubs will do what they believe are in their best interest.

As I understand things, if there is a single verified case of Covid, the request passes the test and can't be refused. This is the statement:

"With Arsenal having fewer than the required number of players available for the match (13 outfield players and one goalkeeper), the board accepted the club's application. The decision is a result of a combination of COVID-19, existing and recent injuries and players on international duty at the Africa Cup of Nations."

Interestingly, they added this:
"...all clubs are able to apply for a postponement if COVID-19 infections are a factor in their request"

Spurs are sore because their application, in a different competition, was not successful.

The other talking heads have even less basis for moaning, not that that ever hindered them in the past.

Post #541126  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:00 pm 

Decaf wrote:
DHD wrote:

As I understand things, if there is a single verified case of Covid, the request passes the test and can't be refused. This is the statement:

"With Arsenal having fewer than the required number of players available for the match (13 outfield players and one goalkeeper), the board accepted the club's application. The decision is a result of a combination of COVID-19, existing and recent injuries and players on international duty at the Africa Cup of Nations."

Interestingly, they added this:
"...all clubs are able to apply for a postponement if COVID-19 infections are a factor in their request"

Spurs are sore because their application, in a different competition, was not successful.

The other talking heads have even less basis for moaning, not that that ever hindered them in the past.

I think they're sore because the postponement came barely 24 hours before the event. It will have have created an administrative nightmare that will cost them an awful lot of money.

Post #541127  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:02 pm 

All in all it was advantage Arsenal. Spurs game called off and a one would hope, a fresh, rested 11 to take on Liverpool in EFL Thursday.

Post #541128  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:29 pm 

DHD wrote:
Decaf wrote:

I think they're sore because the postponement came barely 24 hours before the event. It will have have created an administrative nightmare that will cost them an awful lot of money.

That's the Premier League's fault for taking more than 24 hours to consider the request from us which was put in on Friday when we knew the extent of the injuries from Thursday night, we really couldn't have done it any sooner. Also a bit rich coming from Spurs who postponed their european game with Rennes only once Rennes had actually flown to London. I can bet Rennes felt that unnecessary pinch on their finances more than Spurs did with our game postponed

Post #541129  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:33 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:
Can't count Man U or West Ham out of it. It is getting to that point now where you're celebrating every dropped point for any of those teams. I also start looking at those tougher fixtures they have as potential dropped points and get disappointed when a tough away game ends up as a win for them.

Man Utd are tricky to gauge, because as bad as they've been, they have a pretty decent run of fixtures coming up in January and February and they have players that can win those matches for them. But they're also under pressure because they're falling behind, and have Man City, Tottenham and Liverpool in March. If they're still behind when those games come up they run the risk of slipping further.

The thing with Man U is there is too much talent and depth there, that if they can bring together some semblance of team structure they can go on a run, and their depth will help when teams are struggling towards the end of the season.

That said, they've only kept 4 clean sheets all season and apart from Norwich and Burnley I wouldn't bet against anyone taking points off them at the moment. Nice to see their recent results getting the points their performances deserve

Post #541130  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:34 pm 

The aftv freakshow continues

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... r-25967813

Post #541131  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:38 pm 

DHD wrote:
Decaf wrote:

They are the ones that brought up their misfortunates in the Conference. Why bring it up if they were not trying to portray themselves as subject to unfair treatment?

Not sure that the 24 hours is relevant? I don't see it listed in the guidelines. There are many scenarios where postponement at short notice is necessary. I don't blame the premier league for keeping the guidelines flexible. Let the people who always complain about rules and guidelines come up with something better. They will find it actually isn't quite as much a piece of cake as they might imagine.

Last minute postponements are tough on all parties, indeed. But they are not legitimate grounds for this moaning if they are compliant with guidelines. Postponement hurts both parties roughly equally financially I would imagine (so it is not really a factor in fairness). It is going ahead that would be very unfair to the depleted team. It is actually backwards thinking to imagine that it is unfair to the other team not to be given the opportunity to hammer a depleted outfit! That is why Arsenal accepted the Liverpool postponement without a murmur.

Post #541132  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:46 pm 

Zed wrote:
All in all it was advantage Arsenal. Spurs game called off and a one would hope, a fresh, rested 11 to take on Liverpool in EFL Thursday.

Avoiding an unfair disadvantage is not equivalent to gaining an advantage. The guidelines do not require that the playing field be exactly level. However 45 degree is going a bit far.

Post #541133  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:25 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Postponement hurts both parties roughly equally financially I would imagine (so it is not really a factor in fairness).

One side has a thousand or so day-staff to arrange, security to line up, a stadium to prepare, then they need to lay in food and drink for 60,000. The other side needs to….errr….turn up.

I would imagine.

Post #541134  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:48 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Zed wrote:

Avoiding an unfair disadvantage is not equivalent to gaining an advantage. The guidelines do not require that the playing field be exactly level. However 45 degree is going a bit far.

Hi Decaf,
Basically this was meant from a competitive viewpoint only for Arsenal. Those all invloved in prepping for a match on the day should be compensated if said match is cancelled.
My apologies to Decaf. I misread.

Post #541135  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:52 pm 

DHD wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Postponement hurts both parties roughly equally financially I would imagine (so it is not really a factor in fairness).

One side has a thousand or so day-staff to arrange, security to line up, a stadium to prepare, then they need to lay in food and drink for 60,000. The other side needs to….errr….turn up.

I would imagine.

You may have a point. :laughing7:
But still struggling to see why it would fall into the 'relevant' rather than 'tough luck' category.

Post #541136  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:17 pm 

Post #541137  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:47 pm 

https://twitter.com/afcamden/status/148 ... 13856?s=21

Lovely goal from Vlahovic tonight. He missed a penalty as well for the first time in his pro career. A few Arsenal fans getting carried away with his celebration being interpreted as a goodbye to the fans….hmmm

Post #541138  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:15 pm 

Burnley v Watford is off tomorrow. Must be a chance our game with Burnley gets called off this coming Sunday?

Post #541139  Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:36 pm 

Arsenal may be w/out 12 players. EFL match hopefully can still go forward.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... g-football

Post #541140  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:27 am 

Rich wrote:
https://twitter.com/afcamden/status/1483187512600313856?s=21

Lovely goal from Vlahovic tonight. He missed a penalty as well for the first time in his pro career. A few Arsenal fans getting carried away with his celebration being interpreted as a goodbye to the fans….hmmm

Watched his highlights reel and not too impressed really. Looks very slow and more in the Bendtner / Giroud mould than anything electric. While a good option to deploy at times, is that what we need full time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXBqOAdbKRA

Post #541141  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:35 am 

Attachment:

Post #541142  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:51 am 

grantyboy wrote:
Watched his highlights reel and not too impressed really. Looks very slow and more in the Bendtner / Giroud mould than anything electric. While a good option to deploy at times, is that what we need full time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXBqOAdbKRA

Read this write up of Vlahovic from around the end of last season. Sounds like you may not be too far off with some of your comments. However, regarding his quickness, while it says nobody would refer to him “as an out and out pace merchant, he doesn’t lack for speed either.” Hopefully that means he’s quicker than Giroud, who I always felt did lack for pace.

Having said that, I’m still a long way from thinking we’ll sign him, so it may all be academic anyway.

https://www.scoutedftbl.com/best-young- ... -vlahovic/

Post #541143  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:29 am 

I thought this was mildly interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE4MVYz ... x=1&t=388s

Post #541144  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:52 am 

Burnley get their game with Watford postponed citing ‘covid cases, injuries and Players at AFCON’, must be Burnley’s 3rd or 4th game they’ve postponed and the 21st to be postponed in total. Not heard so much as a peep out of the media.

So despite various pundits tripping over themselves saying ‘this isn’t about Arsenal’ it turns out it did seem to be about Arsenal because games 1-19 being postponed didn’t have such an outcry, ours did and then the 21st game everyone is silent again.

Post #541145  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:55 am 

The relegation fight will be interesting this year with Burnley playing 8 games in June/July

Post #541146  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:33 am 

Lots of clamour and good reason to change the rules for postponements, but also plenty of good reasons to stick with the current rules for the rest of the season to make things fair.

One proposals I've seen is to make the rule change for the first set of fixtures after the winter break - I think it is Feb 10th - tell all the clubs now that from that date only covid cases will be considered. All players will be back from AFCON and teams will have had what remains of the January transfer window to sort out their squad if they want.

Post #541147  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:05 am 

The rules definitely needs to be changed. I don't really buy the argument that it would be unfair, because they've already been changed during the season - it is much easier to get a postponement now than it was earlier in the season. After the international break seems like a good starting points. Overall there's been relatively few positive cases among PL players, we can't just keep cancelling games for flimsy reasons.

Post #541148  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:11 am 

It’s because of AFCON. It’s a temporary moment in time. Take 4 out of a squad of 25 then send them to Africa… that’s a problem in itself… lose several due to covid over a few weeks… 2 suspensions (1 unwarranted) and now chuck in some injuries for good measure. Your *%^@**

What on earth are you supposed to do. The challenge now is to somehow survive and not let this derail our season but I dread to think what type of side we will put out Thursday if it goes ahead.

Post #541149  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:38 am 

Not only will we go into the tie with far less quality but due to pundit malfeasance if we get beaten badly, football fans will rejoice over it as a some sort of comeuppance for the fixture rescheduling.

I just hope we do what Ali did and 'shock the world...AHHHHHH' Maybe its not the same level admittedly...lol...but it would be nice for fans to sing a no one likes us and we don't care while winning.

Post #541150  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:07 am 

From the outside the Vlahovic situation is puzzling. Arteta has been doing a really good job of building a motivated and supportive and committed team without destructive egos.

From all that I read Vlahovic is not at all sure or keen about us. Right now I’d rather have someone who is prepared to walk through walls for us.

Post #541151  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:33 am 

long time gooner wrote:
...Right now I’d rather have someone who is prepared to walk through walls for us.
Brian Talbot says to tell you he'd love to, but he is a bit out of shape these days.

Post #541152  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:36 am 

Gento has died at a grand old age. He was the winger of wingers in my childhood. Magnificent sight to see him bamboozle defenders.

Post #541153  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:37 am 

long time gooner wrote:
From the outside the Vlahovic situation is puzzling. Arteta has been doing a really good job of building a motivated and supportive and committed team without destructive egos.

From all that I read Vlahovic is not at all sure or keen about us. Right now I’d rather have someone who is prepared to walk through walls for us.

I wouldn’t believe what you read in the papers. They always get stuff wrong especially transfer fees and wages. It always turns out the players get less.

Remember aubameyang being painted as a selfish greedy villain when he left dortmund. In reality he may be a bit lax but he’s a happy go lucky chap.

Also we gave a whopping contract to Mesut Özil so I’m not sure what high benchmark we have for player commitment.

As part of my job I have to on occasion get involved in large negotiations worth millions and rarely are there scenarios where one party doesn’t end up feeling screwed even if the result is fair and equal.

If you want to sign a 1 in 2 game goal scorer you will probably have to deal with a large ego or you can sign a hardworking chap like Calvert Lewin. I know who I’d rather have, to win titles you need ruthless arrogant killers and we have few

Post #541154  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:41 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
...Right now I’d rather have someone who is prepared to walk through walls for us.
Brian Talbot says to tell you he'd love to, but he is a bit out of shape these days.

Give him my regards.

Post #541155  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:40 pm 

Guardiola on Man City's 12 game-winning run: "I think Arsenal was the most difficult one. We were lucky."

Pep keeps showering us with praise all the time. Hopefully he can criticise us soon. As was the case with Fergie, when he was being nice about you its because you weren't a threat.

Post #541156  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:46 pm 

I heard a story recently that when Fergie signed Van Persie he pretty much took Rooney and his midfield to one side and said Van Persie is making absolute elite level runs and movement and if you can't find him you're out of the team. As much as I dislike everyone in that story I still liked it

Post #541157  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:56 pm 

van Persie remains for me possibly the worse betrayal of a list of Arsenal player betrayals in the way and when it was done and to whom.

Post #541158  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:02 pm 

Post #541159  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:31 pm 

https://metro.co.uk/2022/01/18/arsenal- ... wsnow-feed

Good interview with Bellerin here. As always, he comes across as a class act.

Bellerin added: ‘Arsenal are doing amazing and that makes me so happy. The player they got in my position is doing great.

‘There’s literally no hard feelings for me. It’s beautiful to see because I watch every single game and I want the guys to do well.

Post #541160  Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:50 pm 

Norton-Cuffy (youth team right back, 18 years old) has gone on loan to Lincoln. Seems some are saying that's almost an accelerated loan for him as there are more experienced and older players who aren't getting loans. I've watched him a few times in U18 highlights and he always looked physically too good for those age groups.

It would be good to get some good defenders come through the youth system, who was the last defender who came through and even had a handful of games for the first team even if they weren't considered to have 'made it'?

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13526, 13527, 13528, 13529, 13530, 13531, 13532 ... 14269  Next