Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 87 guests

Post #536601  Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:57 pm 

I'm hoping for a Man Utd win this weekend for the sole reason of seeing Liverpool get its first loss. When I first got into football, Man Utd seemed to dominate the series and that made sense because the Mancs were the dominant side in the league. Then hearing how dominant Liverpool was in the 70s and 80s I wondered if they dominated the series. I think I tried looking up the results. Not sure if Liverpool did dominate them.

The rivalry was my earlierst memory of British football. I recall as a very young kid, maybe 8 or 9 years old and watching the news. The sports newscaster was showing clips of cops on horseback trying to keep fans away from the other fans. I recall thinking to myself "Wtf? This is nuts. This over a soccer game?" At that time we had huge rivalries but rarely did we have any violence like that. Outside Yankee stadium can get dangerous but that was because it was the south Bronx. At one time probably the most dangerous place in the country. Philly had a reputation for fighting as well when I was a kid. Well earned. Our arena became the first one in the country to actually have a jail...IN THE ARENA! haha.

I still can't get my head around the whole hooliganism thing and the various 'firms'. Still seems completely nuts.

Post #536602  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:23 am 

I laughed when I saw the Roma result. Good one Jose.

Post #536603  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:48 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Losing 6-1 to Bodo/Glimt is hilarious, and Jose’s quotes after are all too familiar and the first step in his standard downfall pattern. He said words to the effect of ‘their team has far better players than my second 11 players I played tonight, if I could just pick my best 11 players each game I would. There is a huge gap in quality between my first 11 and their replacements’ haha nice one Jose. Might not even make it to the classic Jose 3rd season meltdown this time

Post #536604  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:12 am 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Losing 6-1 to Bodo/Glimt is hilarious, and Jose’s quotes after are all too familiar and the first step in his standard downfall pattern. He said words to the effect of ‘their team has far better players than my second 11 players I played tonight, if I could just pick my best 11 players each game I would. There is a huge gap in quality between my first 11 and their replacements’ haha nice one Jose. Might not even make it to the classic Jose 3rd season meltdown this time

He’s still searching for another Drogba. He must own a large car because just to get his ego in the car would be a difficult task in any standard vehicle.

Post #536605  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:32 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:

He’s still searching for another Drogba. He must own a large car because just to get his ego in the car would be a difficult task in any standard vehicle.

I think his authoritarian angry father style doesn’t cut it with the younger generation of players either. When Jose was at his peak he had players like Terry etc who followed him in to battle and put everything on the line and had the mentality to respond to criticism by playing even better. I think today’s generation of players are different. Not to say they are not mentally elite but I don’t think as many respond to that style of management.

Post #536606  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:35 am 

Saw another interesting point on our lack of a high press, we have a number of players who really suit situations where we’d win the ball high. Pépé, Aubameyang, Martinelli and even Saka and Emile Smith Rowe, these players, particularly the first 3 are finishers more so than playmakers. Get them on the ball in the final third with limited defence in front of them and that’s where they can thrive. Having Pépé 35 yards out in a 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 is where he’s at his best

Post #536607  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:42 am 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I think his authoritarian angry father style doesn’t cut it with the younger generation of players either. When Jose was at his peak he had players like Terry etc who followed him in to battle and put everything on the line and had the mentality to respond to criticism by playing even better. I think today’s generation of players are different. Not to say they are not mentally elite but I don’t think as many respond to that style of management.

I think you are correct about the modern generation. IMO many think the world owes them rather than actually making themselves grab the opportunities. He is probably not the only manager struggling with his yo motivate the young generation, but he has such an ego he will continue to experience difficulties. That gives me much pleasure however.

Post #536608  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:45 am 

Rich wrote:
Saw another interesting point on our lack of a high press, we have a number of players who really suit situations where we’d win the ball high. Pépé, Aubameyang, Martinelli and even Saka and Emile Smith Rowe, these players, particularly the first 3 are finishers more so than playmakers. Get them on the ball in the final third with limited defence in front of them and that’s where they can thrive. Having Pépé 35 yards out in a 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 is where he’s at his best

It’s up to Arteta to sort out these problems. It may be a balance problem.

Post #536609  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:06 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:

Absolutely up to him. It’s strange how when Arteta first took charge there was a big emphasis on a high press and playing out from the back. It was a bit disjointed because the players we had didn’t suit it or we weren’t fit enough or well drilled enough. Now Arteta has an entire team he’s signed or renewed contracts for but where has the high press and methodical playing out from the back gone?
For my moneys worth I think the right thing to do was implement the style of play we want to aspire to even if we didn’t or don’t have the right players. Eventually you replace those players with ones who can do what you want and your better existing players are already doing it. This is what Klopp and Pep have both done at Liverpool and City, both had some disastrous results in their first season because the players were unable to execute the plan - but gradually they moved on and things got better.

Post #536610  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:14 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:

I think we missed a trick when Arsene left by not appointing a guy with big experience - Rafa would have been my choice. Emery felt like a gamble and Arteta likewise. I'd like to see a big character in charge - Mancini would do for me, if only for his dress sense.

Mind you over the years our club has often turned to relatively inexperienced or unlikely managers, sometimes with great success - Allison, Whittaker, Mee, George and Arsene - or not - Crayston, Swindin, Wright and Neill.

Might be worth while giving Ten Hag a call.

Post #536611  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:38 pm 

It never fails to mae my day seeing Tottenham lose. its double seeing Mourinho lose badly as well. Took a look at Serie A. Roma isn't doing too badly. Sitting 4th.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/italian-serie-a/table

What surprised me looking at the table is Napoli off to a perfect start, 8 games on the trot and The Old Lady off to a fairly bad one by their lofty standards.

Post #536612  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:07 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
It never fails to mae my day seeing Tottenham lose. its double seeing Mourinho lose badly as well. Took a look at Serie A. Roma isn't doing too badly. Sitting 4th.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/italian-serie-a/table

What surprised me looking at the table is Napoli off to a perfect start, 8 games on the trot and The Old Lady off to a fairly bad one by their lofty standards.

Napoli striker Osimhen is on fire at the moment. I think he is ex-Lille, the man Lille signed to replace Pépé and then sold him on for £70m as well. Fair to say Osimhen has done better than Pépé. I could see a move to a big spending club soon for Osimhen

Post #536613  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:09 pm 

Is there a case that with Xhaka out Elneny gives us the best balance in midfield despite maybe being the least talented of the options. He’s the only natural pure defensive midfielder we have. Lokonga and Partey look too similar and AMN is more box to box if he does get a midfield chance.

Does Elneny, however frustrating his sideways passing is, give better balance and allow others - Tierney, the chance to thrive?

Post #536614  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:47 pm 

Rich wrote:
Is there a case that with Xhaka out Elneny gives us the best balance in midfield despite maybe being the least talented of the options. He’s the only natural pure defensive midfielder we have. Lokonga and Partey look too similar and AMN is more box to box if he does get a midfield chance.

Does Elneny, however frustrating his sideways passing is, give better balance and allow others - Tierney, the chance to thrive?

One could argue that it is early days, and it is worth persisting with the Ødegaard ESM experiment.

However, I just think it is the wrong setup for the players we have, particularly Partey (who is on a hiding to nothing), Aubameyang, Ødegaard, and Pépé.

I would certainly be happy to see Elneny starting tonight.

Post #536615  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:54 pm 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Absolutely up to him. It’s strange how when Arteta first took charge there was a big emphasis on a high press and playing out from the back. It was a bit disjointed because the players we had didn’t suit it or we weren’t fit enough or well drilled enough. Now Arteta has an entire team he’s signed or renewed contracts for but where has the high press and methodical playing out from the back gone?
For my moneys worth I think the right thing to do was implement the style of play we want to aspire to even if we didn’t or don’t have the right players. Eventually you replace those players with ones who can do what you want and your better existing players are already doing it. This is what Klopp and Pep have both done at Liverpool and City, both had some disastrous results in their first season because the players were unable to execute the plan - but gradually they moved on and things got better.

It's a strange one. I wonder whether trying shoehorn all of Saka, Emile Smith Rowe, Pépé, and Ødegaard in to the team is the problem.

Post #536616  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:56 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:

I think you are correct about the modern generation. IMO many think the world owes them rather than actually making themselves grab the opportunities. He is probably not the only manager struggling with his yo motivate the young generation, but he has such an ego he will continue to experience difficulties. That gives me much pleasure however.

I think it is much to do with his style of football. The game has moved on.

Post #536617  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:59 pm 

Rich wrote:
Arteta has this worrying trend of emptying the midfield and leaving Partey in their alone. He did it in one of our biggest games last year v Villarreal and the illustration below shows the average positions in our home loss to Leicester last year - a horrible U shape with absolutely no one patrolling the middle of the park.

I've put up 2 more team shape images, one which I think we tried to deploy vs Palace - again Partey in the middle but Emile Smith Rowe and Ødegaard not central or deep enough to help him - and showing the vacant midfield area. The second is more like the shape we played against Spurs (imagine AMN is Xhaka, I just put AMN in there as a possible solution for the next game) It had Emile Smith Rowe and Ødegaard much more central and felt like it almost created a box of 4 players right in the heart of the pitch and we dominated that area. Of course spurs were very poor but this to me seems to be a much better set up for us.

That's extremely interesting rich, and I think you hit the nail on the head.

It's really frustrating that we never seem to be able to play Xhaka and Partey together. But its perhaps worse that plan B seems to be to play such an experimental and risky midfield.

Post #536618  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:06 pm 

Ramsdale, Toni, White, Gabriel, Tavares, Lokonga, Partey, Saka, Emile Smith Rowe, Lacazette, Aubameyang

Pleased to see Lacazette get a start after his very good cameo. These things need to be rewarded.

I doubt it is a 4-4-2, it’s probably Aubameyang wide left and Emile Smith Rowe in the 10. If we leave aside the scepticism of Aubameyang working wide left then it’s a much better balance to the team. I like Saka wide right.

Post #536619  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:49 pm 

Think this could be a good game for the neutrals, quite unpredictable. Villa have a lot of firepower, hard to see us keeping a clean sheet, so let's go for the jugular from the off. Pleased to see Lacazette starting.

Post #536620  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:03 pm 

Ref hasn't got the balls to give a red card in the first 30 seconds. Yellow is probably right but that is a deliberate petulant kick on Gabriel by Watkins

Post #536621  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:03 pm 

Good to see the ref give the yellow to Watkins even though it was the first minute.

Post #536622  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:03 pm 

Good inclusion of Lacazette
Good omission of both Ødegaard & Pépé
Odd omission of Tierney

Hope Saka comes down to help Tomiyasu more today.

Just heard, Tierney injured

Post #536623  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:04 pm 

Looks like it is a proper 4-4-2.

Post #536624  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:05 pm 

chance for Aubameyang and Saka. great through ball from Partey to Saka. Auab kind of fluffs the overhead. Decent chance

Post #536625  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:06 pm 

Tavares looks like a monster of an athlete.

Post #536626  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:06 pm 

Nice from Tavares. Big and strong and shrugs villa off the ball, goes on his own and blazes over from a tight angle.

Post #536627  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:09 pm 

Good intensity from the start.

Post #536628  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:10 pm 

Ben white with a 60 yard run out of defence beating 5 men

Post #536629  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:10 pm 

Aubameyang goal ruled out for a foul by Lacazette tackling their defender in their box. Good tempo from us

Post #536630  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:11 pm 

Good positive movements from the team. Keep it up!

Post #536631  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:14 pm 

plenty of refs give a yellow for that, Mings leading with the arm in to Lacazettes face

Post #536632  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:15 pm 

Rich wrote:
Nice from Tavares. Big and strong and shrugs villa off the ball, goes on his own and blazes over from a tight angle.

That's what we need. Fast foraging move forward.

Post #536633  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:16 pm 

We're not holding back with the challenges today, need to tread the line carefully but nice to see some fight in the team

Post #536634  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:16 pm 

Rich wrote:
Ben white with a 60 yard run out of defence beating 5 men

Again, that's what we need. Fast positive moves forward.

Post #536635  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:17 pm 

Lacazette showing great commitment and getting properly stuck in with the challenges.

Post #536636  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:18 pm 

I've seen us win more 2nd balls in 15 minutes than we did in 90 vs Palace

Post #536637  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:21 pm 

So close! Partey hits the post

Post #536638  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:21 pm 

Partey against the bar. Very unlucky.

Post #536639  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:21 pm 

ooooh Partey off the post! so unlucky

Post #536640  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:23 pm 

Partey unfortunate there

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13413, 13414, 13415, 13416, 13417, 13418, 13419 ... 14269  Next