Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 107 guests

Post #547361  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:26 pm 

Decaf wrote:
grantyboy wrote:
Europa league is *%^@. We’ve now missed the change to buy the quality players we need to improve on a given day but also add the squad depth to deal with the additional matches. Man U will be stronger next year and possibly Totts too so further progress next year will be much harder than most are thinking.

Steady on. There is still one game left. Its hard to see Spurs not getting a point in their last game, but stranger things happen all the time.

Last season we had no European football at all and dropped £150m on a pretty decent set of players who were happy to come. Yes CL may have given us the big star name striker for £70m, but that route to the top is only really available for the Uber rich, stick to the strategy, young hungry well scouted players to fit the system and provide the desperately needed cover and quality and upgrades. We’ll be a better team next year no doubt

Post #547362  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:29 pm 

Arteta was scathing in his interview.

He said Newcastle were 10 times better than us in every department.

He seemed shellshocked and made no excuses for what he described as an inexcusable performance.

Post #547363  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:30 pm 

Rich wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Steady on. There is still one game left. Its hard to see Spurs not getting a point in their last game, but stranger things happen all the time.

Last season we had no European football at all and dropped £150m on a pretty decent set of players who were happy to come. Yes CL may have given us the big star name striker for £70m, but that route to the top is only really available for the Uber rich, stick to the strategy, young hungry well scouted players to fit the system and provide the desperately needed cover and quality and upgrades. We’ll be a better team next year no doubt

100%

Players from Bologna, Brighton and Sheffield improved us immensely last summer. More of that please

Post #547364  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:30 pm 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

Depends, you could argue his initial postional play wasn't great. It caused Elneny to have to cover the fullback area and, as Neville pointed out, you rarely see top defenders making those kind of desperate lunges. The likes of Terry, Stam, Vidic, to name just a few, rarely got beaten in that crucial near post area because they read the game superbly and positioned themselves perfectly to stop the cross.

That said, I don't think White was fit tonight.

Carragher use to make plenty of those lunges and score plenty of own goals. Ben White had to go for that, on another occasion he turns it round the post and it’s great defending

To be fair Carragher wasn't a worldclass CB.

Post #547365  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:32 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

Depends, you could argue his initial postional play wasn't great. It caused Elneny to have to cover the fullback area and, as Neville pointed out, you rarely see top defenders making those kind of desperate lunges. The likes of Terry, Stam, Vidic, to name just a few, rarely got beaten in that crucial near post area because they read the game superbly and positioned themselves perfectly to stop the cross.

That said, I don't think White was fit tonight.

His right back is absent without leave and his defensive midfielder is running on clay. Zero protection for the centre halves and keeper.

As Carragher pointed out, doesn't Ben White have to move across to cover the RB area as the move develops and Gabriel move across to cover White?

Remember the George Graham piece of string.

Post #547366  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:33 pm 

DHD wrote:
All said and done - not good enough.

No excuses. Need better players.

I read not getting into the Champions League will reduce our income by a lot of money. The highest figure I’ve seen was £75m-£80m. Whatever the amount is, it will presumably reduce the budget to get new players unless Stan financially dopes us again.

Post #547367  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:34 pm 

Sky are going WAY overboard and the players are too. Neville’s perma hysteria is ridiculous tonight.

Bad result yeah but this isn’t end of days stuff,

Post #547368  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:34 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Man U will be stronger next year and possibly Totts too so further progress next year will be much harder than most are thinking.

Again, I don't see why it's a given other teams will improve and we won't? On the contrary, I think it's easier to see how we can improve (new midfielder and striker) than Tottenham (need signings all over the place to become more than the two-man team they currently are) and Man Utd (need a completely new midfield and defense, plus they need their new and quite inexperienced manager to hit the ground running). Add in Chelsea who are as likely to take a step back as they are to improve under new ownership, and I see no reason why we can't challenge for CL again next season.

Post #547369  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:38 pm 

It feels like our injuries in defence piled up at the end of the season but apparently our first choice back 4 of Tierney, Gabriel, White, Tomiyasu only started 4 games together this season. I can’t quite believe that. Can anyone verify that?

Post #547370  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:38 pm 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
His right back is absent without leave and his defensive midfielder is running on clay. Zero protection for the centre halves and keeper.

As Carragher pointed out, doesn't Ben White have to move across to cover the RB area as the move develops and Gabriel move across to cover White?

Remember the George Graham piece of string.

George’s right back wouldn’t have been on the halfway line :laughing7:

Post #547371  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:39 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
grantyboy wrote:
Man U will be stronger next year and possibly Totts too so further progress next year will be much harder than most are thinking.

Again, I don't see why it's a given other teams will improve and we won't? On the contrary, I think it's easier to see how we can improve (new midfielder and striker) than Tottenham (need signings all over the place to become more than the two-man team they currently are) and Man Utd (need a completely new midfield and defense, plus they need their new and quite inexperienced manager to hit the ground running). Add in Chelsea who are as likely to take a step back as they are to improve under new ownership, and I see no reason why we can't challenge for CL again next season.

Every year we read and hear that Sp#rs “will be stronger next year”.

They never quite get there though, do they?

Post #547372  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:40 pm 

Eventually we had to rely on too many of our back ups who whilst they showed some of their best football for us recently, shouldn’t be starters.
Cédric, Elneny, Tavares, Nketiah- none of them have ‘let us down’ and they all fought to get us top 4 but none of them are starters in a top 4 team.

Post #547373  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:41 pm 

john1 wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

:1laughter:

Quite right

The Berlin Wall hadnt been built let alone knocked down last time spurs won the league

Post #547374  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:43 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:
Guarantee without major investment we won't make top four next season. This was our big chance, especially without european football. Newcastle might even be in the race next year.

Not sure why this is the case at all? It's far from guaranteed Man Utd and Tottenham will improve enough, and Chelsea are a mess at the moment.

Just don't see it, Haz.

As much as we like to overhype our players, Ramsdale looked shaky tonight, Xhaka and Elneny were completely overrun, Ødegaard barely touched the ball.

Partey can't stay fit, neither can Tomiyasu or Tierney. Nketiah was one of our better players tonight but needs to be on loan in the PL but obviously that won't happen now.

I know TG will disagree but I think White is a very average defender, good on the ball but not great defensively. Does his ability on the ball compensate enough for his defensive weaknesses. I don't know.

I reckon we need another CB (maybe Saliba), a central midfielder, a LB and RB, two CFs, a goalscoring winger/midfielder. A big summer needed again if we are to make top four next year.

I had optimism a few weeks ago but the losses against Palace, Brighton and Southampton and the manner of the performances set alarm bells ringing for me. The United, Chelsea and West Ham games lifted the mood somewhat but the NL derby was a joke performance and tonight was the steaming turd on top of a great big *%^@ pie.

Post #547375  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:44 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

I suppose the reasoning is based on the fact that Man Utd have had their worst season in PL history and Tottenham were pretty crap until Conte came in. Both clubs sacked their managers during the season so it's not difficult to see them getting more points next season. Sadly, we have blown a great chance. We've lost 5 of our last 9 games.

Post #547376  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:45 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
john1 wrote:

Quite right

The Berlin Wall hadnt been built let alone knocked down last time spurs won the league

Spurs aren't winning the league anytime soon but they look like they will finish above us again.

Post #547377  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:47 pm 

Wow, Xhaka has really thrown thrown the players under the bus with his post match interview.

Post #547378  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:48 pm 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Quite right

Spurs aren't winning the league anytime soon but they look like they will finish above us again.

This season ? Yeah obviously but next? Please bear in mind before the injuries hit we would have steamrolled this

Post #547379  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:49 pm 

Rich wrote:
Eventually we had to rely on too many of our back ups who whilst they showed some of their best football for us recently, shouldn’t be starters.
Cédric, Elneny, Tavares, Nketiah- none of them have ‘let us down’ and they all fought to get us top 4 but none of them are starters in a top 4 team.

That’s the way with squad players, surely?

Post #547380  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:49 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

This season ? Yeah obviously but next? Please bear in mind before the injuries hit we would have steamrolled this

Don't know, depends on the summer I guess.

Newcastle have a good summer and they could be challenging us for 5th or 6th at least next season.

Post #547381  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:50 pm 

socrates wrote:
As much as we like to overhype our players, Ramsdale looked shaky tonight, Xhaka and Elneny were completely overrun, Ødegaard barely touched the ball.

Well, now do the same for Man Utd

Post #547382  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:51 pm 

Sky

Neville and carragher just morbidly dismissed Arsenals disgraceful failure tonight. Now MNF are reviewing their pre season predictions.

Both had united finishing above us in the league and Neville had us pegged as underachievers. Ok dickheads

Post #547383  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:52 pm 

dec wrote:
Tottenham were pretty crap until Conte came in.

They were pretty crap after he came in too, they just started pressing better and Kane decided to stop sulking and play football. This narrative that Conte transformed them needs to die, or people need to actually start watching them play.

Post #547384  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:55 pm 

I note that neither Arteta nor Xhaka mentioned the referee.

Post #547385  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:55 pm 

Bloody Monday night away games. I hate them. We always lose them and always seem to be given a disproportionate of them away from home.

Post #547386  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:56 pm 

We can still get CL but it will have to be one of those days that comes along very rarely in football. At least Norwich can play without fear. It’s not much to hold on to.

Post #547387  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:57 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

That’s the way with squad players, surely?

Perhaps I should have said none of them are good enough to start for a top 4 team over a long stretch or really are any good enough to be our back ups?

Post #547388  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:57 pm 

socrates wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Not sure why this is the case at all? It's far from guaranteed Man Utd and Tottenham will improve enough, and Chelsea are a mess at the moment.

Just don't see it, Haz.

Partey can't stay fit, neither can Tomiyasu or Tierney. Nketiah was one of our better players tonight but needs to be on loan in the PL but obviously that won't happen now.

I know TG will disagree but I think White is a very average defender, good on the ball but not great defensively. Does his ability on the ball compensate enough for his defensive weaknesses. I don't know.

I do disagree.

We need strikers, midfielders and better back up.

Our defence and keeper have to put up with a lot of *%^@. Tony Adams would be calling a team crisis meeting after every game

Post #547389  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:01 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

Injuries are part of the game. That is what a squad is for. After the January window, we left ourselves with 3 centrebacks and 2 strikers. We know Tierney is injury prone. It's hardly a surprise that he was out for some time. Partey has had a very patchy injury record since he joined. Wasn't Lokonga signed to provide cover (at the very least) in midfield? We don't have any excuses. We blew it.

Post #547390  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:05 pm 

Frustrating to see Bruno Guimaraes dictate the game today. The guy is class everyone knew he was class before he signed for Newcastle. And he was affordable. Perhaps we simply didn’t have the budget to push for him in January but we were supposedly making bid bids or willing to make big bids for Vlahovic. I think when we face these tougher away games there is a huge difference in what a top quality central mod can give us. An ability to take a sting out of a vibrant and energetic home team feeding off the crowd. An ability to show calmness, touch and technique to control the tempo of the game and not be over run. As much as we need strikers that central midfield conductor is absolutely vital for us next year.

Post #547391  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:08 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Injuries are part of the game. That is what a squad is for. After the January window, we left ourselves with 3 centrebacks and 2 strikers. We know Tierney is injury prone. It's hardly a surprise that he was out for some time. Partey has had a very patchy injury record since he joined. Wasn't Lokonga signed to provide cover (at the very least) in midfield? We don't have any excuses. We blew it.

Depends the way you look at it. We prioritised our future I guess. Didn’t get the results but I thought we were robbed on Thursday that started this problem and spurs should have drew yesterday.

We were terribly unlucky this year so suggesting our young team blew it for me is a bit much. Actually is daft.

Post #547392  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:10 pm 

socrates wrote:
...I had optimism a few weeks ago but the losses against Palace, Brighton and Southampton and the manner of the performances set alarm bells ringing for me. The United, Chelsea and West Ham games lifted the mood somewhat but the NL derby was a joke performance and tonight was the steaming turd on top of a great big *%^@ pie.
How bad must the 15 teams below us be!

Post #547393  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:13 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I don’t think getting rid of players in jan was the issue, it was more not bringing in players. If first choice weren’t available then a short term loan. Easier said than done of course but I don’t think some of those that went on loan help us much in the run in even just as warm bodies.

Post #547394  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:14 pm 

dec wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

I suppose the reasoning is based on the fact that Man Utd have had their worst season in PL history and Tottenham were pretty crap until Conte came in. Both clubs sacked their managers during the season so it's not difficult to see them getting more points next season. Sadly, we have blown a great chance. We've lost 5 of our last 9 games.

Exactly what I was going to say. Our end of season form has been rubbish as it was last year as well if I remember. We can talk about injuries all we like but to address that problem then we’d need to buy another 6 players to cover alll the holes in the squad while at the same time improving the 1st team. I never expected CL so don’t think expectations were unrealistic. Equally I didn’t expect an almighty collapse to just hand it over to a team who have by and large been pretty *%^@ this year

Post #547395  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:16 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
dec wrote:
Tottenham were pretty crap until Conte came in.

They were pretty crap after he came in too, they just started pressing better and Kane decided to stop sulking and play football. This narrative that Conte transformed them needs to die, or people need to actually start watching them play.

They may not be good to watch, but they are certainly effective.

Post #547396  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:19 pm 

Rich wrote:
dec wrote:

I don’t think getting rid of players in jan was the issue, it was more not bringing in players. If first choice weren’t available then a short term loan. Easier said than done of course but I don’t think some of those that went on loan help us much in the run in even just as warm bodies.

Ainsley might have been useful for the last 6 games. That’s about it. Maybe we should have spent a fortune getting Arthur on a 18 month loan.

Honestly sit back and take it in. It is what it is.

Post #547397  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 12:52 am 

I guess my decision not to get too emotionally invested for the last few games of the season was correct.

Post #547398  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 1:53 am 

socrates wrote:
Wow, Xhaka has really thrown thrown the players under the bus with his post match interview.

Post #547399  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:13 am 

socrates wrote:
Arteta was scathing in his interview.

He said Newcastle were 10 times better than us in every department.

He seemed shellshocked and made no excuses for what he described as an inexcusable performance.

Post #547400  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:00 am 

Arsenal are responsible for 25% of all foul throws given this season in the league….

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13682, 13683, 13684, 13685, 13686, 13687, 13688 ... 14269  Next