Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 106 guests

Post #548961  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:45 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:
Few rumours that Arsenal have submitted an official offer for 23-year-old Lille winger Edon Zhegrova

Do we need more wingers?

On another issue, I would like to see Nuno trialed as a box to box midfielder. I think its a job he may be better suited to. We have a lot of games to cover other than the EPL and I think he could be effective in that role.

As for LB, I think we should look for a quality replacement for Tierney : nope not cover but a person to be LB. We can't have a fourth year of waiting to see if he can stay fit. He can become the cover. Plenty of games for him still to play if he stays fit. Further there are stories of him being wanted by other clubs. If we can make a profit lets cash in now.

The overall squad still looks a little thin particularly in midfield. I am hoping we deal with this before the start of the season proper.

Sadly Tierney is right up there with Rosicky. Has he yet ‘recovered’ from his latest problem?

Post #548962  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:02 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
If we've given up on Pépé then we definitely need to replace him in the squad, the workload Saka has gone through in the last 2 years is too much for him. It seems the club are happy with Martinelli/Emile Smith Rowe on the left but right-wing needs help. I think there may be games where Nketiah plays up front and Jesus on the right, but currently (if we discount Pépé) we only have Jesus, Nketiah, Saka, Martinelli, Emile Smith Rowe for those 3 forward positions - that is a player light for me. Raphinha would have been superb.

While I fully accept your point about Saka playing too many games, would Raphina have been happy being a second choice right winger appearing when Saka was being rested against the weaker sides in less important games, in the early rounds of the cups and when Saka was actually injured?

Clearly not as Arsenal were his third choice behind Barcelona and Chelsea. If he’s good enough for those clubs to want him, I reckon Raphina would have wanted to be an automatic first choice at Arsenal. That’s the reason I think to have any chance at all of attracting him, if we’d bought him it would have been to play across the forward line. Left, right and centre.

Myself I think it’s a bit premature to say Pépé is on his way out. Who would match his wages for a start? He’s on £140k a week. If he went on loan Arsenal would presumably pay a significant proportion of his salary. Would a lesser French team even cough up 50%, so £70k of it, for him? The 90% we paid of Özil’s was simply down to there being zero chance of Arteta using him again. That won’t be the case with Pépé.

I agree that we were likely targeting Raphinha for multiple positions. If we're looking to go all the way in the Europa and make a better fist of the domestic cups we could play 55 odd games next year, if you have (for example) 3 players for 2 spots they'd each get 40 odd starts
My point about Pépé being on his way out wasn't necessarily me thinking he IS going, more than I think the club want to move him on. His wages may mean we end up having to keep him, he'd still be useful in the Europa league.
Our best and outside chance is him being reunited with Galtier who is the new PSG manger and was also his manager at Lille and loved him there

Post #548963  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:06 am 

If the links to Zhegrova are true and he is the alternative to Raphinha then we're clearly shifting money in to other areas. Raphinha was a £60m first team ready player who'd immediately be one of our best players, Zhegrova is young and inexperienced and has a current value of £5m
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/edon-zh ... ler/496857

Saliba coming back, Turner effectively replacing Leno, Jesus coming in and the surprise addition of Vieira is a decent start to the transfer window but now we're 4 weeks from the start of the season and still require (I think) a minimum of 3 players - left sided defensive cover, central midfielder and right winger. Depending on the Partey situation we may need 2 central midfielders as without Partey the only options are Elneny, Lokonga nd Xhaka

Post #548964  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:29 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Do we need more wingers?

On another issue, I would like to see Nuno trialed as a box to box midfielder. I think its a job he may be better suited to. We have a lot of games to cover other than the EPL and I think he could be effective in that role.

As for LB, I think we should look for a quality replacement for Tierney : nope not cover but a person to be LB. We can't have a fourth year of waiting to see if he can stay fit. He can become the cover. Plenty of games for him still to play if he stays fit. Further there are stories of him being wanted by other clubs. If we can make a profit lets cash in now.

The overall squad still looks a little thin particularly in midfield. I am hoping we deal with this before the start of the season proper.

Sadly Tierney is right up there with Rosicky. Has he yet ‘recovered’ from his latest problem?

I think he has and on his day he is great but defence depends on people playing continuously across the back 4 and we can’t afford half a season players.

Post #548965  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:33 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:
Few rumours that Arsenal have submitted an official offer for 23-year-old Lille winger Edon Zhegrova

Do we need more wingers?

Substitute 'wingers' with 'that's right, its the square hole' in this and you just about have it.

https://twitter.com/sanjazakovska/statu ... 3787152389

Post #548966  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:37 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Boris resign? No chance.

All he has to do is cut the cost of petrol drastically and get someone to sort out the chaotic nhs and everyone will forget all the chinese whispers

The yougov poll some keep referring to is made up of 35% Brexitters and 65% Remoaners. Go figure.

That tells you what it's all about.

Spot on again Einstein

:15laughter:

Post #548967  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:18 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Spot on again Einstein

I think I have mentioned it before here, but with an Intelligence Quotient (IQ) of 160, Albert Einstein actually had a lower IQ than Ian Brady, the boyfriend of fellow Moors Murderer Myra Hindley. Ian Brady’s IQ was 170.

Saw that on a documentary about IQs.

Post #548968  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:18 am 

It’s hard to imagine any current poll being made up of anything other than “35% Brexitters and 65% Remoaners” as it dawns on more and more people that Brexit is not the wonderful future that was promised.

I for one am happy to be a Remoaner and not a Brexshitter.

Post #548969  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:20 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Spot on again Einstein

I think I have mentioned it before here, but with an IQ of 160, Albert Einstein actually had a lower IQ than Ian Brady, the boyfriend of fellow Moors Murderer Myra Hindley. Ian Brady’s IQ was 170.

There’s often little correlation between intelligence and common sense. Rees Mogg would be a good example of that.

Post #548970  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:26 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I think I have mentioned it before here, but with an IQ of 160, Albert Einstein actually had a lower IQ than Ian Brady, the boyfriend of fellow Moors Murderer Myra Hindley. Ian Brady’s IQ was 170.

There’s often little correlation between intelligence and common sense. Rees Mogg would be a good example of that.

True. That was one of the very points the documentary made. There’s also no guaranteed correlation between stuff like career, financial or business success and IQ.

Post #548971  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:28 am 

Attachment:

long time gooner wrote:
It’s hard to imagine any current poll being made up of anything other than “35% Brexitters and 65% Remoaners” as it dawns on more and more people that Brexit is not the wonderful future that was promised.

That's because the electorate was lied to - loudly, consistently and shamelessly.

It is only now that people are beginning to realize.

Post #548972  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:57 am 

Boris has resigned.

Post #548973  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:37 am 

As a massive remainer, I've come to the conclusion that Brexit needs to unravel itself. People don't want to be yelled at, a mistake I've made myself. They just have to see that the version of the Brexit that seems to be here is one that is unsustainable. The only way Brexit can succeed is to adopt a Norway type agreement. The fishing industry, who voted for Brexit, have been trashed, the farming industry -who again, were hugely pro-brexit, has been trashed. People need to live the disaster of this before the majority realises it was an error. At least in the way the ideologues have tried to sell it.

It may take many, many years to reverse, but it will eventually, certainly to a large extent - and it doesn't necessarily mean rejoining to acheive that. People need to see it for themselves though. Whilst the EU is very far from perfect, but we're better being closer to them than by being antagonistic and breaking laws and legally binding agreements. It won't end well.

Post #548974  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:04 pm 

Changing subjects completely, what iPhone models and smartphones do people use and what networks do you recommend? My three year contract with O2 (the network I’ve used since they started sponsoring Arsenal, I think some twenty years ago) for my current iPhone has expired and I’m getting regular calls and messages to upgrade to an iPhone 13 Pro Max.

The thing is, the iPhone 14 Pro Max apparently comes out in the UK on 14th September. So if I get the iPhone 13 Pro Max, it’s going to be out of date in a few weeks. Furthermore, after generously (according to them) giving me a £100 reduction, O2 are still asking £24 more than what the price of the iPhone 14 Pro Max will allegedly be.

I’ve long admitted to being a technological idiot, but am I missing something? It just seems I might as well wait a couple of months and get the iPhone 14 Pro Max. Or do people use other smartphones they think are better than iPhones, or indeed other networks they think are superior to O2? I won’t use a Samsung phone as they sponsored Chelsea nor use Vodafone as my network as they sponsored Manchester United.

Post #548975  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:41 pm 

Neco Williams, 21 year old right back, £17m from Liverpool to Forrest! 5 premier league starts and 13 prem appearances in total. Only made 14 appearance for Fulham in the championship last year.

It is crazy how these clubs can sell their youngsters for such high fees

Post #548976  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:49 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Changing subjects completely, what iPhone models and smartphones do people use and what networks do you recommend? My three year contract with O2 (the network I’ve used since they started sponsoring Arsenal, I think some twenty years ago) for my current iPhone has expired and I’m getting regular calls and messages to upgrade to an iPhone 13 Pro Max.

The thing is, the iPhone 14 Pro Max apparently comes out in the UK on 14th September. So if I get the iPhone 13 Pro Max, it’s going to be out of date in a few weeks. Furthermore, after generously (according to them) giving me a £100 reduction, O2 are still asking £24 more than what the price of the iPhone 14 Pro Max will allegedly be.

I’ve long admitted to being a technological idiot, but am I missing something? It just seems I might as well wait a couple of months and get the iPhone 14 Pro Max. Or do people use other smartphones they think are better than iPhones, or indeed other networks they think are superior to O2? I won’t use a Samsung phone as they sponsored Chelsea nor use Vodafone as my network as they sponsored Manchester United.

I've just upgraded to the iPhone SE - I lied it because the handset isn't the really big one that doesn't fit in your pocket, and it still retains the little round 'home' button at the bottom.
I'm with ee, never really had too much of a problem with them, coverage is always good.
I got the handset for free and joined on a 24 month contract at about £28 per month, which includes a 30% discount on their friends and family deal as a family friend works for them

Post #548977  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:26 pm 

Bernard wrote:

I saved myself a fortune by buying my iPhone outright a few years ago and using a BT monthly SIM. The SIM deal is an absolute bargain especially since I use BT for broadband, and the 6S Plus is still going strong.

Monthly contracts are an absolute ripoff.

Post #548978  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:28 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I've just upgraded to the iPhone SE - I lied it because the handset isn't the really big one that doesn't fit in your pocket, and it still retains the little round 'home' button at the bottom.
I'm with ee, never really had too much of a problem with them, coverage is always good.
I got the handset for free and joined on a 24 month contract at about £28 per month, which includes a 30% discount on their friends and family deal as a family friend works for them

Thanks. Must admit I prefer big phones since I saw clinical research that small phones are likely to damage one’s eyesight long term.

Post #548979  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:35 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I saved myself a fortune by buying my iPhone outright a few years ago and using a BT monthly SIM. The SIM deal is an absolute bargain especially since I use BT for broadband, and the 6S Plus is still going strong.

Thanks again. Wonder if buying the iPhone 14 Pro Max outright (for the size of it) and using a monthly SIM deal might be the best option?

Post #548980  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:06 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Spot on again Einstein
I think I have mentioned it before here, but with an Intelligence Quotient (IQ) of 160, Albert Einstein actually had a lower IQ than Ian Brady, the boyfriend of fellow Moors Murderer Myra Hindley. Ian Brady’s IQ was 170. Saw that on a documentary about IQs.
Pity Brady didn't put his high IQ to some useful purpose like Albert.

This is far from a subject that interests me but I do recall reading something once about a theory of multiple intelligences - i.e. going beyond the usual logical-mathematical measure to encompass various other intelligences e.g. linguistic, inter-personal, spatial. Freddie and Denis presumably scored higher than average on the latter?

Post #548981  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:10 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Thanks. Must admit I prefer big phones since I saw clinical research that small phones are likely to damage one’s eyesight long term.
Yes, that and some other habits. Rees Mogg wears glasses...

Post #548982  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:11 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I think I have mentioned it before here, but with an Intelligence Quotient (IQ) of 160, Albert Einstein actually had a lower IQ than Ian Brady, the boyfriend of fellow Moors Murderer Myra Hindley. Ian Brady’s IQ was 170. Saw that on a documentary about IQs.
Pity Brady didn't put his high IQ to some useful purpose like Albert.
This is far from a subject that interests me but I do recall reading something once about a theory of multiple intelligences - i.e. going beyond the usual logical-mathematical measure to encompass various other intelligences e.g. linguistic, inter-personal, spatial. Freddie and Denis presumably scored higher than average on the latter?

Yes, Freddie Flintoff would score highly on linguistic, inter-personal and spatial intelligences.

Post #548983  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:48 pm 

RIP Sonny Corleone. James Caan dead at 82.

Attachments:

Post #548984  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:56 pm 

Why are we so awful at selling players??!
Liverpool just raked in another 17 million for Neco Williams.
I know some of it is attributed to the high wages we have given players for last few years but we need to be better at extracting fees.

If Martinez prefers Utd or we won’t go that high then get Tielemans in and Grimaldo at left back. He is
Going very cheap when a few windows ago he was being talked about in the 30m to 40m bracket.
And on top of that show a bit of faith in Lokonga too or get a cheap defensive minded central midfielder on top of Tielemans.
Surely there’s a few knocking around Europe

Post #548985  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:58 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Thanks again. Wonder if buying the iPhone 14 Pro Max outright (for the size of it) and using a monthly SIM deal might be the best option?

That will cost you the guts of a grand to buy the phone. Go into a shop or two to see what is on offer. Look on line and see what suits you best. The release of the 14 doesn't make the 13 out of date either.

If you are a bit of a technophobe you would probably be best sticking with what you know I.e Apple. I prefer android myself but that is down to personal preference.

Of course if Tottenham were to announce a sponsorship deal with Apple, I'm not sure what you would do.

Post #548986  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:23 pm 

Bernard wrote:

Post #548987  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:26 pm 

dec wrote:
Of course if Tottenham were to announce a sponsorship deal with Apple, I'm not sure what you would do.

Apple Music sponsored Bayern a few years back.

Post #548988  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:58 pm 

Tested positive today.

Fucketyfuck.

Post #548989  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:12 pm 

Justice system in this country is a sick joke.
Mother of that poor child Baby P released from prison.
What a *%^@*** horrific disgrace that is.
Shameful.
People on that parole board are imbeciles.
She should rot in hell.

Post #548990  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:13 pm 

DHD wrote:
Tested positive today.

Fucketyfuck.

Sorry to hear that DHD.
Wishing you a quick recovery.

Post #548991  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:13 pm 

DHD wrote:
Tested positive today.

Fucketyfuck.

Sorry to hear that DHD. Wishing you well.

Post #548992  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:16 pm 

dec wrote:
Bernard wrote:

That will cost you the guts of a grand to buy the phone. Go into a shop or two to see what is on offer. Look on line and see what suits you best. The release of the 14 doesn't make the 13 out of date either.

If you are a bit of a technophobe you would probably be best sticking with what you know I.e Apple. I prefer android myself but that is down to personal preference.

Thanks dec. The cost I saw for the iPhone 14 Pro Max was £925 while O2 were quoting me £959 (I thought it was £949 before just looking it up) for the iPhone 13 Pro Max. Is that expensive then? I have paid way more than that on a bottle of wine so I was hoping it was quite reasonable.

The thing is I probably use my current iPhone for less than 1% of what it’s capable of. Sending and receiving texts and WhatsApp messages, making and taking phone calls, emails, taking a few photos and the internet. I’m on the internet quite a lot, I’d have thought. But perhaps I’m not as O2 are offering me all these monthly GB allowances of 100+.

However, they told me what my current usage was and it was nothing remotely approaching that. I think they said 1 GB a month. Maybe I misunderstood them? But if my internet usage is as low as that, you’d have to be doing scientific calculations of the type Ian Brady was clever enough to do all day long to get near an allowance of 100+ GB. As well as going to bed, interacting with family and friends, plus eating I’m not on the internet all day every day.

My youngest daughter is urging me to get the iPhone 14 Pro Max as when she sees people using older phones, she thinks of them as rather ‘scummy’. My youngest daughter is a bit like that. She’s happy to go in the car with me as I have one of the sporty BMWs (she has a Mercedes herself). But she’s less keen on getting a lift from my wife (so her mother) as she only has a Mazda.

Post #548993  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:21 pm 

DHD wrote:
Tested positive today.

Fucketyfuck.

Only just saw that DHD. Sorry to hear it but I have little doubt you’ll be as right as rain in no time at all.

Post #548994  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:23 pm 

Bernard wrote:

Thanks. Must admit I prefer big phones since I saw clinical research that small phones are likely to damage one’s eyesight long term.[/quote]
There’s a joke in there somewhere about refs, Arsenal and one-eyed-ness!

Post #548995  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:28 pm 

Seems like Leno might be close to a move to Fulham. Apparently personal terms are agreed on a deal until 2025 with the option of another year. Arsenal want £10-11m

Post #548996  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:53 pm 

Zed wrote:

Terrific actor. Not just for the godfather

if you haven’t seen it watch Thief . Great leading man

Not Redford or Newman good but up there

Post #548997  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:55 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Stuck a cheeky 25 quid on Douglas Luiz joining us by Wednesday at 4 to 1

Cough cough erm cough

Post #548998  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:43 pm 

DHD wrote:
Attachment:
Bus.png
long time gooner wrote:

That's because the electorate was lied to - loudly, consistently and shamelessly.

It is only now that people are beginning to realize.

Nah, the sad truth is many people suspected the damage it would do but still were attracted to it because they thought it ended immigration. Did people really think they were going to get 20 percent off nike trainers or all these amazing trade deals. We deserve the future we voted for and by god we are getting it back in spades

Post #548999  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:49 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Zed wrote:

Terrific actor. Not just for the godfather

if you haven’t seen it watch Thief . Great leading man

Not Redford or Newman good but up there

No he's no Redford or Newman. I did see Thief though.

Post #549000  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:51 pm 

DHD wrote:
Tested positive today.

Fucketyfuck.

One day at a time DHD. You'll be fine soon.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13722, 13723, 13724, 13725, 13726, 13727, 13728 ... 14269  Next