Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 112 guests

Post #535561  Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:32 pm 

So spurs get beaten 3-0 at home to Chelsea. A 2 goal victory against them next week will take us above them I think. How things can change so quickly.

It’s also one of the reasons I like to look at the underlying stats in games. Spurs were very very lucky to win their first 3 games 1-0. Very much outplayed by City and Wolves at least. These things catch up with teams, you can’t continually play poorly and rely on scoring your limited chances and your opponent missing all the time

Post #535562  Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:58 pm 

Rich wrote:
So spurs get beaten 3-0 at home to Chelsea. A 2 goal victory against them next week will take us above them I think. How things can change so quickly.

It’s also one of the reasons I like to look at the underlying stats in games. Spurs were very very lucky to win their first 3 games 1-0. Very much outplayed by City and Wolves at least. These things catch up with teams, you can’t continually play poorly and rely on scoring your limited chances and your opponent missing all the time

Shame. They started the game so well. It's tragic that things always seem to go pear-shaped for them after promising starts. Imagine the poor fans.

Post #535563  Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:08 pm 

Apparently the five Arsenal players who scored the most penalties for us are:

1) Thierry Henry with 22 scored
2) Ian Wright with 18 scored
3) Alan Ball with 15 scored
4) Liam Brady with 14 scored
5) Lee Dixon with 11 scored

The full historical list, assuming it’s correct, is in the link.

https://www.worldfootball.net/alltime_g ... enal-fc/1/

Post #535564  Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:14 pm 

Chelsea look superb and Tuchel is an excellent coach. I can't see them losing many, if any, games this season. Got me thinking. The top four look more concrete than ever before. Before there were always two definites and any two from three for the remaining spot. Now, Chelsea, City, Utd and Liverpool look way ahead of the rest. Could be a very long time before we see CL football back at the Emirates. our only chance is a sharp upturn in our consistency and one of the those sides to have an awful season. I think we're looking at EL football for years to come.

Post #535565  Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:40 pm 

Bernard wrote:

Gold star if anyone can remember the game that Eboue scored a penalty for us? I can’t

Post #535566  Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:46 pm 

Darren wrote:
Chelsea look superb and Tuchel is an excellent coach. I can't see them losing many, if any, games this season. Got me thinking. The top four look more concrete than ever before. Before there were always two definites and any two from three for the remaining spot. Now, Chelsea, City, Utd and Liverpool look way ahead of the rest. Could be a very long time before we see CL football back at the Emirates. our only chance is a sharp upturn in our consistency and one of the those sides to have an awful season. I think we're looking at EL football for years to come.

Well put Darren. Arsenal have a long uphill haul.

Post #535567  Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:25 pm 

Darren wrote:
I think we're looking at EL football for years to come.

We're not nailed on for EL either. Quite a long way from it at the moment.

I'd not be pessimistic though. Tyrants die or lose interest. That's two of the four hitting the buffers at some point. Another has the same issues we do balancing the books (a Carragher article pointed out that the amount spent on new contracts to old players was equivalent to a substantial new signing - we've been there), and, while they're well run for now, that tends not to last forever either. Which only leaves the eternal moneybags who have had long periods of underperformance and profligacy.
We just need to be ready when they crumble.

Post #535568  Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:33 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
If we are to rely on Smith Rowe he has to develop more of a killer instinct. He has missed opportunities yesterday and againest Norwich that would have finished those matches. Decent player and a good prospect but can’t help feeling it might be a little too much responsibility too soon rather than being phased in

iirc, he was sent home early from the U23s for being 'unwell (not covid)'.
He's not been at his best since.
But neither have Saka, Pépé or Aubameyang.

Post #535569  Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:44 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Gold star if anyone can remember the game that Eboue scored a penalty for us? I can’t

I couldn’t remember but looked it up. Blackburn at home in the Premier League on 14th March 2009. A 4-0 win.

Post #535570  Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:47 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Some light has most definitely gone from the football world. Loved him as a player and as a commentator. You can safely use the word great about him.

Great player. Fantastic finisher. I think he was the best natural finisher I’ve ever seen. He made it look so easy.

Best goal scorer I've ever seen.
Hard to see it on those old recordings I think, but he was like a knife through butter when he turned it on.
And you need to look at his stats in context. He never played for a dominant team (no league title ever).
Genius. Funny. Sorry to see him go, but life must have been hard since his stroke.

Post #535571  Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:03 pm 

I'm feeling moderately pleased with yesterday. Very long way to go, but they've started to gell (defence + Partey). All the new signings look okay - or better than okay - though I hope that White isn't feeling £50m hanging around his neck. Ramsdale's attitude seems exactly what we need.

Credit too to Arteta, Edu and the recruitment team. For this window if not earlier ones.

Tomiyasu is a fluent English speaker and it seems as if language and personality have been key features for Arteta. Given the years of rumours about cliques and dissension in our dressing room, it was about time someone tackled that firmly and if we're building back up from the bottom that time has to be now. My guess is that if Saliba reaches next summer without speaking English (I've no idea whether he does or not) then he'll never come back.

otoh, however promising some parts seem, it will be a long hard season unless someone starts scoring goals. 0.4 per game so far from the whole team (Greaves exceeded that throughout his career iirc).

Post #535572  Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:10 pm 

On Wednesday, I'd like to see Balogun, Eddie, Martinelli, Patino.
I hope not to see Aubameyang, Emile Smith Rowe, Saka, Ødegaard, Partey, Tomiyasu, Tierney, Ramsdale.

Post #535573  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:44 am 

Have we turned the corner? Tough to say. I would suggest we need a few more results. And there will be bumps along the way. If or more likely when this happens, the immediate reaction will be to say nothing has changed. We've looked poor against top 6 competion so far this season as well as last season. Tottenham will be a good test to see if there has been a change.

Post #535574  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:51 am 

Andy Green wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Some light has most definitely gone from the football world. Loved him as a player and as a commentator. You can safely use the word great about him.

Great player. Fantastic finisher. I think he was the best natural finisher I’ve ever seen. He made it look so easy.
I actually played against him much later in his career. I was playing for Eton Manor against Barnet. Shattered some illusions. He was really miserable… didn’t stop moaning. He was still the second best player on the pitch though!!

Hi Andy, it must have been amazing playing against Greaves. Were you a defender? And did he score?

Post #535575  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:16 am 

Zed wrote:
Darren wrote:

Well put Darren. Arsenal have a long uphill haul.

Liverpool would have to be seen as the most vulnerable simply because they have to operate on a budget. They also have quite an old squad with plenty of their best players over or approaching 30. Their recruitment has generally been very good but it is so hard to keep that going year after year especially when a Countinho shaped golden goose isn’t around. Not many teams outside the Prem are paying sky high fees for players now.
City will be interesting when Guardiola decides to have another sabbatical.

Post #535576  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:26 am 

It seems so far the transfer window and the overall plan has started pushing things in the right direction. This is the sort of transfer window we should have been planning from the moment wenger left but no one put the strategy and long term vision in place.
Drive the wage bill down, bring in younger players with good attitudes.

Ramsdale suddenly looks a great deal considering the English premium and the age GK can play until, potentially buying a player for 12 years there.
Tomiyasu looks suited to the league. Aerially good, fast, intelligent, committed
White, this is where we had to pay the English premium, but Michael Keane was £30m, Mings was £30m.
Tavares at £6-7m and having to replace Kolasinac was going to be hard to be a failure. Again, god athletic profile, tall, quick and strong
Lokonga at 21 and £17m will grow in to this side, really like what we’ve seen so far
Ødegaard, £30m 22 years old, clearly talented and dare I say it, the closest thing we’ve had to Cazorla when he shifted to the slighter deeper midfield role. Against teams where we dominate the ball having Ødegaard a bit deeper and dictating play rather than a traditional 10 could work well. A bit like De Bruyne’s position at Man City.

There are still big areas of improvement required. Central midfield could still do with another player, we need more goal threat from our wide forwards and 2 of our 4 strikers leave for free next year.

Post #535577  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:01 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
If we are to rely on Smith Rowe he has to develop more of a killer instinct. He has missed opportunities yesterday and againest Norwich that would have finished those matches. Decent player and a good prospect but can’t help feeling it might be a little too much responsibility too soon rather than being phased in

As I said th other day, TG, for us to have an outstanding season it feels like Emile Smith Rowe and Saka need to add more goals and assists to their game because we simply do not create enough chances or score enough goals.

Post #535578  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:09 am 

Rich wrote:
It seems so far the transfer window and the overall plan has started pushing things in the right direction. This is the sort of transfer window we should have been planning from the moment wenger left but no one put the strategy and long term vision in place.

Ramsdale suddenly looks a great deal considering the English premium and the age GK can play until, potentially buying a player for 12 years there.
Tomiyasu looks suited to the league. Aerially good, fast, intelligent, committed
White, this is where we had to pay the English premium, but Michael Keane was £30m, Mings was £30m.
Tavares at £6-7m and having to replace Kolasinac was going to be hard to be a failure. Again, god athletic profile, tall, quick and strong
Lokonga at 21 and £17m will grow in to this side, really like what we’ve seen so far
Ødegaard, £30m 22 years old, clearly talented and dare I say it, the closest thing we’ve had to Cazorla when he shifted to the slighter deeper midfield role. Against teams where we dominate the ball having Ødegaard a bit deeper and dictating play rather than a traditional 10 could work well. A bit like De Bruyne’s position at Man City.

There are still big areas of improvement required. Central midfield could still do with another player, we need more goal threat from our wide forwards and 2 of our 4 strikers leave for free next year.

Hi Rich,

Promising signings of the right age and profile.

Our back four and keeper passed the test against a physically intimidating side on Saturday, now they need to show they can pass the test against more technically adept and more pacy opponents.

It is still obvious we do not create enough chances or score enough goals given the possession we enjoy in most games. That is a problem because it means even poor and mediocre opponents are only ever a set-piece goal or mistake away from getting something out of a game against us.

We need more goals from somewhere because I feel Aubameyang may now be past his peak, or at least his game may no longer suit our style of play.

Post #535579  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:56 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

As I said th other day, TG, for us to have an outstanding season it feels like Emile Smith Rowe and Saka need to add more goals and assists to their game because we simply do not create enough chances or score enough goals.

You can’t criticise because they are so young have done well but there’s not many goal scorers on the pitch. We will need to hope Ødegaard and Pépé can stay clear of injury this season. Ali’s unfortunately there’s no other options either lokonga and Martinelli equally isn’t experienced replacements.

Post #535580  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:14 am 

Congrats to our sister team, the LA Rams for a 2-0 start to their campaign. :1laughter:

Post #535581  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:18 am 

Rich wrote:

I like Lokonga. Is it an either/or with him and Partey? Both can't occupy the midfield at the same time or can they? And if so, who is out?

I like the Gabriel/White pairing so far. They have figure each other out. How is Gabriel's english by the way? Asking because center backs do a lot of talking to each other.

Anyway, we have fairly strong back 5 now and we have good defensive midfield coverage. We should get better defensively. The attack has to figure out a few things. I want to see more of Martinelli as well.

Post #535582  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:50 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hi Rich,

Promising signings of the right age and profile.

Our back four and keeper passed the test against a physically intimidating side on Saturday, now they need to show they can pass the test against more technically adept and more pacy opponents.

It is still obvious we do not create enough chances or score enough goals given the possession we enjoy in most games. That is a problem because it means even poor and mediocre opponents are only ever a set-piece goal or mistake away from getting something out of a game against us.

We need more goals from somewhere because I feel Aubameyang may now be past his peak, or at least his game may no longer suit our style of play.

The Burnley game showed all of Arteta/Edu's signings for this year have fantastic potential. They also look like they will play well together, which isn't something we could always say about Arsenal's signings.

Aubameyang's drop in form is a real problem but if we can get through this season then a new striker next season might be the final stepin the rebuild.

Post #535583  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:52 am 

I thought both Lokonga and AMN looked good when they came on. Lokonga looks like he could partner Thomas for the next few years. He already looks like an upgrade over Xhaka from a physical perspective.

Post #535584  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:06 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Andy Green wrote:
I actually played against him much later in his career. I was playing for Eton Manor against Barnet. Shattered some illusions. He was really miserable… didn’t stop moaning. He was still the second best player on the pitch though!!

Hi Andy, it must have been amazing playing against Greaves. Were you a defender? And did he score?

It was all very underwhelming McQ. He really gave the ref a hard time….questioning his competency…Effing and blinding non stop.
I was on the right of a front three…. He played where he liked!! Don’t remember the score This has to be mid 70s I do remember it was a very sloping pitch at Underhill where the game was played.
Doesn’t diminish my admiration for his career at Spurs though.Like I say he was a fantastic goal taker in his pomp.
He played at the tail end of blokes my Dads age who would go to Tott one week and AFC the next Some of them had season tickets for both clubs. Late 60s and early 70s it all got parochial and the partisanship we know today was born
I think that’s partly the reason he was so respected plus his natural ability and his cheeky chappie outward appearance ( enhanced on Saint and Greavesie)
RIP Jim.

Post #535585  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:31 am 

Only caught the last 20 mins of the Burnley game so can't comment too much on the performance. The part I did see was a bit frustrating, we had some really good chances to counter attack but wasted them with poor passing that looked sloppy more than anything. A 1-0 lead at this level is always volatile. Defensively we looked really solid though, and the highlights doesn't really show that many chances at all for Burnley.

Really liked the starting lineup. All our best attacking players at the same time, positive stuff from Arteta. The Spurs game is huge; they're there for the taking and a good performance and win could see our confidence go up big time. Still need to improve a lot going forward, only one goal from open play in five games isn't good enough.

Post #535586  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:33 am 

Rich wrote:
Like this photo. Burnley player trying to rush Tierney up, or remonstrate with him from going down with cramp, assuming he was just time wasting and Ramsdale straight in there to stop him and Gabriel looking ready for a fight as well.

Little things but this is the attitude we need.

Really liked seeing that. Ramsdale and Gabriel was there quickly, and even Lokonga got a little shove in as the player walked away. We need the team to build that camaraderie where they're willing to fight for each other, we've been way too soft for way too long.

Post #535587  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:14 pm 

Blind auction for English Premier League rights could reshape Aussie streaming landscape

https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 58sx4.html

It's been with Optus since 2015 - Interesting to see which of the 4 bids the highest for it.

Post #535588  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:18 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Congrats to our sister team, the LA Rams for a 2-0 start to their campaign. :1laughter:

Sister team? Really?

You must be the only Arsenal supporter who cares even remotely.

Post #535589  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:28 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Sister team? Really?

Yes, when AG confessed to 'trolling' the forum by posting the LA Rams' logo, I had no idea what it was. And once I found out, I wasn't much the wiser as to why he posted it.

Post #535590  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:45 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

It was all very underwhelming McQ. He really gave the ref a hard time….questioning his competency…Effing and blinding non stop.
I was on the right of a front three…. He played where he liked!! Don’t remember the score This has to be mid 70s I do remember it was a very sloping pitch at Underhill where the game was played.

It might have been underwhelming for you, Andy, but still a pretty good story! My favourite tale about Greaves was him competing in the 1970 London-to-Mexico rally. I wonder what West Ham fans thought about their new star striker getting involved in a gruelling 16,000-mile professional car race in the close season. And Jimmy and his co-driver came sixth. Amazing.

Post #535591  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:22 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
Andy Green wrote:

It might have been underwhelming for you, Andy, but still a pretty good story! My favourite tale about Greaves was him competing in the 1970 London-to-Mexico rally. I wonder what West Ham fans thought about their new star striker getting involved in a gruelling 16,000-mile professional car race in the close season. And Jimmy and his co-driver came sixth. Amazing.

I think the day the rally ended Bobby Moore got nicked in Bogota, Colombia. Fast forward and I ended up marrying a lady from Bogota, Colombia.

Post #535592  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:46 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Sister team? Really?

I thought my emoji would been a clue I was being sarcastic.I hate them and wish they'd crash and burn so Kroenke has to eat all that investment.

Post #535593  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:09 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

Doesn’t diminish my admiration for his career at Spurs though.Like I say he was a fantastic goal taker in his pomp.
He played at the tail end of blokes my Dads age who would go to Tott one week and AFC the next Some of them had season tickets for both clubs. Late 60s and early 70s it all got parochial and the partisanship we know today was born
I think that’s partly the reason he was so respected plus his natural ability and his cheeky chappie outward appearance ( enhanced on Saint and Greavesie)
RIP Jim.

Someone told me his time at Barnet was during the worse part of his alcoholism and there wasn’t a game he didn’t turn up pissed to apparently and despite that he was easily their best player playing in midfield. Funny you mention refs because he got a 6 game ban for refusing to accept a red card there

Post #535594  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:13 pm 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fUnRUAKIy ... e=youtu.be

Good interview with Per Mertesacker here.

Post #535595  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:36 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Sister team? Really?

Sister team? Gawd help us. The only "sisterly" thing about it s having same owner. No doubt AG watches all LA Rams games with sheer gusto as an avid fan. :angel4:

Post #535596  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:44 pm 

The league cup game will likely see youngsters. We should win it but its a cup tie so who they hell knows. I'd like us to go for it in earnest. Its the easiest of the 3 competitions we are in. By easy I don't mean literally with regards to ease to win it but its the one that we have the best chance in advancing in and the one that the top 6 are going to field their weakest sides of the 3 domestic competitons. We may with some luck get to a semi or final. Arteta needs it.

That said, I hope we aren't looking ahead to the NLD. Not many players in the league cup will be playing in the NLD one would think.

Post #535597  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:23 pm 

https://twitter.com/prime_brodie/status ... 49475?s=21

2 more minutes of Patino highlights from the Chelsea game

Post #535598  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:31 pm 

Agree with those that say we need more goals from our attack minded midfielders, as much as they carried us at times last year that does mean Saka and Smith Rowe.
One thing I’ve noticed from the games so far is Smith Rowe is much more willing to shoot and is getting in those goal scoring positions. Right now the composure and conviction in the finish is missing. That goal he scored in extra time v Newcastle in the fa cup is a prime example of a classic finish. Compared to the shot too close to the gk v Norwich and the relatively tame prod v Burnley.
If he keeps getting in those areas the goals will come.
For a successful season we need maybe 8 league goals each from Saka, Pépé, Ødegaard and Smith Rowe. We’d also need a similar 30+ contribution from all our strikers combined. Then add in another 10-15 goals from central mid, defence and own goals and you’ve got the right number of goals to finish 5th

Post #535599  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:38 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Sister team? Really?

Hard to tell at times.
I thought my emoji would been a clue I was being sarcastic.I hate them and wish they'd crash and burn so Kroenke has to eat all that investment.

Post #535600  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:11 pm 

As far as poor refereeing goes, this is probably the worst decision I've seen in a long time. Yellow card.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13387, 13388, 13389, 13390, 13391, 13392, 13393 ... 14269  Next