Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:00 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 9 guests

Post #535281  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:34 am 

Yeah, I'm trolling...lol...I was >>>this close<<< to makkng it my avatar. :42laughter:

Attachments:

Post #535282  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:37 am 

I'll be in LA late this year and will drive past 'the stadium Arsenal built' :58big-emoticons:

We are a joke because we have a joke of an owner. And the damage is for decades. Now I know what it feels like to be a Man Utd fan.

Post #535283  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:38 am 

Okay, we've got a win under our belts. The only game that Arteta can get away with a draw right now is the NLD. He has to win this game.

Post #535284  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:34 am 

https://dean-magazine.ghost.io/the-cold ... ssion=true

This is a long but good read. It is a Liverpool fans take on the toxic Twitter fan. Written about Liverpool but could apply to any club, especially a big club.

Post #535285  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:37 am 

I read a take about Aubameyang and having fans back in the stadium. The theory is that Aubameyang is a showman and will thrive more with the fans to please. It pointed to his cars and clothes etc to highlight this personality trait.
Of course it ignores how brilliant Aubameyang was in that fa cup run behind closed doors but it does make some sense.

We’ll certainly see a swing back to much more normal home/away results this season compared to last where I think there ended up being more away wins than home

Post #535286  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:40 am 

This season there will be constant comparisons between Tomiyasu and Emerson Royal at spurs. Both clubs were linked with both players and apparently Arteta forced through Tomiyasu ahead of Royal because he considered him a better bit for the system.
Total is far more attack minded but weaker defensively, zaha buried him at the weekend. Let’s hope Arteta got this one right

Post #535287  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:55 am 

Andy Green wrote:
It was a tough tackle....reminds me of Hackney Marshes circa 1968 and should have drawn a yellow.....but......Richarlison is a tosser and had got them riled up with a late challenge on Mee earlier ....this was afters from Tarkowski....my logic is faulty though....it shouldn't count who the recipient is....tosser or not its a bad tackle...

What we have to look forward to I guess

Oh now 1:1

But was it softer than Xhaka's same ref worse tackle imo and not even a yellow card?

Surely has to be perceived bias, if not too late,we should appeal, even though I don't think he should be in our current team atm.

Post #535288  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:01 am 

Just discovered 'Professor T'. It's a theme that is repeated often (Endeavour, etc.) and these types of crime dramas seem to be trying to repeat the stoic, socially awkward, Sherlock Holmes. The protagonists are stereotypical British: aloof, cold, oxford English, etc.

The character seems to be a slightly exaggerated depiction of what I envision a forum member or two on here to be like. :42laughter:

Post #535289  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:10 am 

Rich wrote:
I read a take about Aubameyang and having fans back in the stadium. The theory is that Aubameyang is a showman and will thrive more with the fans to please. It pointed to his cars and clothes etc to highlight this personality trait.
Of course it ignores how brilliant Aubameyang was in that fa cup run behind closed doors but it does make some sense.

We’ll certainly see a swing back to much more normal home/away results this season compared to last where I think there ended up being more away wins than home

Just a guess, but I think once we start getting better service to players like Aubameyang who are in good positions in the 18 yard box, instinct will kick in and he and others will score more. Pépé can be lethal like Willian was at Chelsea or a bit closer to how Reyes and Eduardo was for us in time.

Post #535290  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:21 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Yeah, I'm trolling...lol...I was >>>this close<<< to makkng it my avatar. :42laughter:

What is it?

Edit: I see now. It’s Los Angeles Rams.

Post #535291  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:30 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Andy Green wrote:
It was a tough tackle....reminds me of Hackney Marshes circa 1968 and should have drawn a yellow.....but......Richarlison is a tosser and had got them riled up with a late challenge on Mee earlier ....this was afters from Tarkowski....my logic is faulty though....it shouldn't count who the recipient is....tosser or not its a bad tackle...

What we have to look forward to I guess

Oh now 1:1

But was it softer than Xhaka's same ref worse tackle imo and not even a yellow card?

Surely has to be perceived bias, if not too late,we should appeal, even though I don't think he should be in our current team atm.

https://twitter.com/alleymatty/status/1 ... 90753?s=21

Are you talking about this tackle? For me it is a clear yellow card, Xhaka’s was worse because it would be deemed Xhaka was less in control as he jumped in more two footed. But the way refs are officiating games this season is dangerous and you just know that we’ll be punished where others aren’t and opponents will be allowed to kick lumps out of us. Expect it next weekend away to Burnley where the ref will play on the emotion of the crowd.

Post #535292  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:56 am 

I would like to hear the ref after the Everton match explain why he deemed that challenge by Tarkowski not worthy of a foul or a yellow card.

Post #535293  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:27 am 

Rich wrote:
But the way refs are officiating games this season is dangerous and you just know that we’ll be punished where others aren’t and opponents will be allowed to kick lumps out of us. Expect it next weekend away to Burnley where the ref will play on the emotion of the crowd.

Hi Rich. I think the only thing guaranteed is that you will perceive Arsenal as being treated unfairly by referees. To be honest, I have a lot of respect for many of your opinions on the club, even though I don’t think they’re all correct.

But I’ve long felt you ‘lose it’ with referees in Arsenal’s games to the extent that I think it’s verging on a persecution complex. That’s why, although I didn’t comment myself, I was comfortable in seeing Gunfire (in a more forceful way) and bromley (in a far more gentle manner) point out that you were going so far over the top about a refereeing performance in a recent Arsenal game that it was almost ridiculous. Of course you’re not the only one. But you are surely the most extreme example here, at least since lomekian has moved on.

I didn’t watch a single second of the Everton Burnley game (there was more chance of me watching an episode of either Coronation Street or Eastenders than that game simply because it lasts much less time). They’re two clubs I have neither any real affinity or dislike for so I couldn’t give a damn about the result. But I found the comments about the tackle, without seeing it, more likely to be fair and rational (because it didn’t involve Arsenal) than I bet you’d have found on an Everton or Burnley forum.

I simply don’t think the internet chat rooms of teams playing a match are the place to go for unbiased or reasonable thoughts on a referee’s performance. For example I’d think you’d be immeasurably more likely to find sensible remarks on the referee in a North London derby on a Newcastle chat room than you would on either an Arsenal or Tottenham forum.

Post #535294  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:14 am 

Bernard wrote:
I didn’t watch a single second of the Everton Burnley game (there was more chance of me watching an episode of either Coronation Street or Eastenders than that game simply because it lasts much less time).

Are these the only two ways you can envisage spending your time?

Post #535295  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:38 pm 

I've found myself not knowing nor caring about the CL. I didn't even know they were playing. I have completely zoned out. I don't even think I watched the final last time. Sour grapes that we aren't in it? Maybe. Football itself is not worth watching as it once was? Perhaps a little. All I know is my interest has waned.

Post #535296  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:41 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I've found myself not knowing nor caring about the CL. I didn't even know they were playing. I have completely zoned out. I don't even think I watched the final last time. Sour grapes that we aren't in it? Maybe. Football itself is not worth watching as it once was? Perhaps a little. All I know is my interest has waned.

No, must be really different from 5 minutes ago.

Post #535297  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:52 pm 

Young Boys in CL group stage have beaten ManU 2-1. :angel4:

Post #535298  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:17 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Just discovered 'Professor T'….

Try and find, and watch, the original version. Belgian production; way more entertaining than the watered down “English” remake. It aired over here as part of the Walter Presents series on All 4 channel.

Post #535299  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:20 pm 

Zed wrote:

But don’t Man Utd now have this superstar that the English press are fawning all over like he is the messiah. How can this be so.

Post #535300  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:25 pm 

Talking of obscure channels I caught the Big Match Revisited this afternoon featuring a workmanlike game between Arsenal and Stoke from 1975. Title chasing Stoke earning a point at relegation threatened Arsenal. The pitch was a picture. Interesting part of the programme was an interview with Charlie George, out injured, openly telling Brian Moore he was desperate to get out of the Club. Candid would be an understatement.

Post #535301  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:46 pm 

Wilshere responds to Arteta's Arsenal offer as free agent midfielder seeks new club

https://www.goal.com/en-au/news/wilsher ... r6gyau5vll

Post #535302  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:51 pm 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Just discovered 'Professor T'….

Try and find, and watch, the original version. Belgian production; way more entertaining than the watered down “English” remake. It aired over here as part of the Walter Presents series on All 4 channel.

Really? Thanks, I'll look for it.

I really enjoyed 'Luther' from several years ago. I wish they would have made more.

Post #535303  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:12 pm 

The documemtary about us would still be fascinating if it stopped here. So much has happened. I am hoping the behind the scenes reasons for things will be explained. Among which is Saliba.

Post #535304  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:25 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Zed wrote:

But don’t Man Utd now have this superstar that the English press are fawning all over like he is the messiah. How can this be so.

They do indeed. The said superstar was subbed off 2nd half for Lingard, who made an error and so Swissers scored their 2nd goal in extra time. Oh well. :laughing7:

Post #535305  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:50 pm 

Zed wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

They do indeed. The said superstar was subbed off 2nd half for Lingard, who made an error and so Swissers scored their 2nd goal in extra time. Oh well. :laughing7:

Oh no. Tell me it isn’t true. The sky sports mob and talkSPORT will need some counseling after this. Pandemic a crisis: no this is a real crisis. How can we all help them.

Post #535306  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:51 pm 

Norm Macdonald, comedian and 'Saturday Night Live' alum, dies at 61

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/09/14/ente ... index.html

Post #535307  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:38 pm 

Suggestions that the only way Saliba will ever play for Arsenal is if Arteta goes. Whatever the quality or rationale for the article, I’ve been thinking the same for some while so can believe it. If Arsenal improve and Arteta stays, I wonder if at £27m Saliba will be the most expensive signing in football to have never played a competitive game for that club?

I know Arsenal signed Clive Allen for £1.25m and he was swapped for Kenny Sansom two months later before he ever played a competitive game for the club. I guess in football’s transfer market £1.25m in 1980 may well be worth more than £27m in 2019 (when Saliba joined). But Allen was only with us a a couple of months one summer, whereas Saliba if he goes next summer will have been with the club three years without playing.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... dium=email

Post #535308  Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:08 am 

It's my understanding that Israeli clubs play in UEFA because of long standing religiouis/political differences between them and the Arab/Moslem countries in the Middle East.

Now that relations are pretty much normaized with these countries (Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UAE, and I was in the Dubai airport December last year and it was amazing, exciting and surreal seeing Israelis there). I wonder out loud if these clubs will stay in UEFA or join the Asian Champions League in the future? Their chances of doing better are greater in that competition.

It would be historic if they played each other.

Post #535309  Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:18 am 

:14laughter:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Zed wrote:

Oh no. Tell me it isn’t true. The sky sports mob and talkSPORT will need some counseling after this. Pandemic a crisis: no this is a real crisis. How can we all help them.

:laughing7:

Post #535310  Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:26 am 

warrior wrote:
Wilshere responds to Arteta's Arsenal offer as free agent midfielder seeks new club

At the right wage I don't see why not.

Post #535311  Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:40 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
But the way refs are officiating games this season is dangerous and you just know that we’ll be punished where others aren’t and opponents will be allowed to kick lumps out of us. Expect it next weekend away to Burnley where the ref will play on the emotion of the crowd.

Hi Rich. I think the only thing guaranteed is that you will perceive Arsenal as being treated unfairly by referees. To be honest, I have a lot of respect for many of your opinions on the club, even though I don’t think they’re all correct.

But I’ve long felt you ‘lose it’ with referees in Arsenal’s games to the extent that I think it’s verging on a persecution complex. That’s why, although I didn’t comment myself, I was comfortable in seeing Gunfire (in a more forceful way) and bromley (in a far more gentle manner) point out that you were going so far over the top about a refereeing performance in a recent Arsenal game that it was almost ridiculous. Of course you’re not the only one. But you are surely the most extreme example here, at least since lomekian has moved on.

Hi Bernard, I can happily admit that it would be incredibly difficult for me to be completely unbiased when talking about refs in Arsenal games, or generally anything about Arsenal because I (we) are emotionally invested in the game. I'd also admit that some of the in game stuff will come from a single view so can appreciate the tough job that refs have. However, I watch a lot of non-Arsenal football in the premier league and do see things in other games that I believe show a) the level of refereeing in this country is woeful including a shocking lack of consistency and b) I think there are things some players and some teams 'get away' with that we don't. That doesn't just apply to Arsenal. I think Xhaka and Luiz were often treated on reputation. Equally I think a player like Harry Kane (england captain) is given much more of a free ride by refs than other players putting in the same tackles or dark arts. It isn't conscious bias from refs, I honestly don't think they go in to games thinking I'd like to send off X today or I'd like X team to win, but there would be a huge number of subconscious things that build up.

Post #535312  Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:41 am 

Gunfire wrote:
warrior wrote:

Pay per play only.

Post #535313  Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:55 am 

Over the years there are statistics that show teams involved in European games collect fewer points on average in the league game immediately following a European match than their normal average points.
This is the first year without European football for 25 years for us. We have to turn in it in to an advantage for our league form. I see Burnley away as a must win.
Top 4 is probably beyond us this year with the strength of the top 4 but with Leicester, Spurs and West Ham all having European football we need to take advantage.

Post #535314  Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:28 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Pay per play only.

You must be joking and off your heads,

it’s a tragedy because he was great once but his career has been ruined by injury and he struggled at Bournemouth and was released and that’s the 2nd time that’s happened because it also happened at West Ham. It would be total nostalgia and after one failed game Arteta would be getting dogs abuse and getting called clueless for doing it.

Jack unfortunately needs to see out a few years at a lower level club then Seek a career in coaching or sit back on the several millions he made from the game and retire.

Post #535315  Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:32 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Hi Bernard, I can happily admit that it would be incredibly difficult for me to be completely unbiased when talking about refs in Arsenal games, or generally anything about Arsenal because I (we) are emotionally invested in the game. I'd also admit that some of the in game stuff will come from a single view so can appreciate the tough job that refs have. However, I watch a lot of non-Arsenal football in the premier league and do see things in other games that I believe show a) the level of refereeing in this country is woeful including a shocking lack of consistency and b) I think there are things some players and some teams 'get away' with that we don't. That doesn't just apply to Arsenal. I think Xhaka and Luiz were often treated on reputation. Equally I think a player like Harry Kane (england captain) is given much more of a free ride by refs than other players putting in the same tackles or dark arts. It isn't conscious bias from refs, I honestly don't think they go in to games thinking I'd like to send off X today or I'd like X team to win, but there would be a huge number of subconscious things that build up.

I think you are right. We still have that 'fancy dan foreigner diver' aura and players like Kane are mentally associated with the sturdy steak and kidney pudding-fed honest english yeoman stereotype.

No doubt that it influence refs subconsciously and there needs to be a more active policy to stamp it out.

Post #535316  Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:35 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Pay per play only.

You must be joking and off your heads,

it’s a tragedy because he was great once but his career has been ruined by injury and he struggled at Bournemouth and was released and that’s the 2nd time that’s happened because it also happened at West Ham. It would be total nostalgia and after one failed game Arteta would be getting dogs abuse and getting called clueless for doing it.

Jack unfortunately needs to see out a few years at a lower level club then Seek a career in coaching or sit back on the several millions he made from the game and retire.

It does seem like a really bizarre idea.

Post #535317  Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:07 am 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:

I think you are right. We still have that 'fancy dan foreigner diver' aura and players like Kane are mentally associated with the sturdy steak and kidney pudding-fed honest english yeoman stereotype.

Yes, that's where we might get some return on the English player premium we've paid for Ramsdale and White. If they don't each get at least one dodgy game-changing decision in their favour this season, I'll be fuming.

Post #535318  Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:20 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Yes, that's where we might get some return on the English player premium we've paid for Ramsdale and White. If they don't each get at least one dodgy game-changing decision in their favour this season, I'll be fuming.

Germans and Norwegian probably aren't quite as suspect as Mediterranian types in the popular imagination.

Still Ramsdale does look to be an upgrade on Leno on that score. He certainly does look and sound the part. One could easily imagine him sheering sheep on a wild moor somewhere with a pipe clenched between his teeth.

Post #535319  Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:27 am 

It’s ok folks the editor of the gooner knows Wilshere personally so we should obviously sign him and blame Arteta when it goes wrong or blame him for not signing him anyway

Gooner editor Layth Yousif knows Jack Wilshere personally - read on for why the former Gunners return to Arsenal would be a great idea

https://www.onlinegooner.com/articles/view/5792

Post #535320  Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:20 pm 

Saw a discussion online about Arsenal's best 11 post Invincibles.

Not quite decided what mine would be but to throw a few names out that would have to be in it:
RvP, Fabregas, Cazorla, Sanchez, Koscielny, Sagna

Not sure many of the current team get in (2 8th place finishes and all) but in time some might have a chance

[ 570665 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13380, 13381, 13382, 13383, 13384, 13385, 13386 ... 14267  Next